PDA

View Full Version : Scott, anyone else? Brandon Spikes, ILB Florida?

wonderbredd24
12-31-2008, 01:00 PM
What is your opinion of Florida Linebacker Brandon Spikes?

In some games, he seems to absolutely take over (see LSU) and in others, he has been a non factor.

In my opinion, he seems like a very good fit for the 3-4, but could be just as effective in the 4-3.

Should he declare, where do you think he's going to end up? Could he jump ahead of James Laurinaitis?

If the Browns miss out on Curry to man the ILB spot in round 1, he seems like a possible consolation prize in round 2.

yourfavestoner
12-31-2008, 01:12 PM
If he declares, he'll probably shoot up to the top of the ILB rankings of this draft class (depending if you have Curry as an OLB or ILB). He's more athletic than Maualuga and every bit the beast.

regoob2
12-31-2008, 01:25 PM
Maybe it's just me but I dont think he'll be a good ILB. I see a WLB.

Forenci
12-31-2008, 01:30 PM
I like Spikes quite a bit, there are times when he looks exceptionally strong at the point of attack when he's literally tossing offensive linemen to the ground and other times when he tends to disappear for a bit.

I'd love to have him on any team, regardless of scheme.

CashmoneyDrew
12-31-2008, 01:40 PM
Off topic but Forenci, I love your avy. I bought season 1 yesterday and I'm actually watching it right now.

Forenci
12-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Off topic but Forenci, I love your avy. I bought season 1 yesterday and I'm actually watching it right now.

Yes! Chuck is an amazing show. Probably my favorite show on TV currently.

Good stuff.

giantsfan
12-31-2008, 02:48 PM
Spikes is a stud as long as you like your defense playing with balls and delivering hits instead of taking them. He won't flourish in a cover-2, but as long as you attack he'll be beastly be it inside or on the outside.

RaiderNation
12-31-2008, 02:57 PM
3rd best LB if he does declare behind Maualuga and Curry.

vidae
12-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Yes! Chuck is an amazing show. Probably my favorite show on TV currently.

Good stuff.

Agreed. My favorite show on TV and it isn't close.

giantsfan
12-31-2008, 03:37 PM

What does Rey Rey do better than Spikes? Spikes is a better blitzer, more fluid in coverage, has sideline to sideline range and sheds blockers better.

Babylon
12-31-2008, 04:05 PM

I'd rank him behind;

Curry
Herzlich
JL
Cushing

keylime_5
12-31-2008, 04:08 PM
He's not consistent but he has some skills. I'd put him in the mix with Maualuga and Cushing as the 2nd best LB behind clear cut #1 Aaron Curry.

wonderbredd24
12-31-2008, 04:17 PM
it would be impossible for me to have less interest in Cushing.

The guy is a mix of hype, work outs, and probably steroids. No thank you.

I wonder if people would think this highly of him if he went to UCLA or Cal instead of USC.

murdamal86
12-31-2008, 05:19 PM
I'd rank him behind;

Curry
Herzlich
JL
Cushing

you gotta explain them three to me being better than Spikes.

Cigaro
12-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Underrated, easily in front of Laurinaitis, easily top fifteen type talent.

Tim Shaw Fan Club
12-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Tim Shaw>Spikes>Herzlich

themaninblack
12-31-2008, 07:06 PM
Tim Shaw plays football like old people ****.

Spikes does well as long as he's not playing against Brannan Southerland. Haha I'm JK I like Spikes a lot and think he's probably underrated right now at least in comparison to Laurinitis and Maualuga.

Tim Shaw Fan Club
12-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Tim Shaw is a stud and you all know it, you should all join my fan club

Race for the Heisman
12-31-2008, 08:27 PM
If he declares, he's my 2a, with Herzlich being 2b, both behind Curry.

Babylon
12-31-2008, 09:26 PM
it would be impossible for me to have less interest in Cushing.

The guy is a mix of hype, work outs, and probably steroids. No thank you.

I wonder if people would think this highly of him if he went to UCLA or Cal instead of USC.

He's probably the least hyped of all the Trojans actually. 6-3 255 runs real well and hits like a truck, what about him don't you like?

Scott Wright
12-31-2008, 11:50 PM
Excellent player.

Definitely a first rounder if he comes out (at least in my opinion).

Probably somewhere in the 20-32 range.

AtariBigby
01-01-2009, 09:39 AM
The guy is a mix of hype, work outs, and probably steroids.
Are you talking about Laurinaitis?

Or went to Ohio State like Bobby Carpenter and Hawk, even Gholston who did nothing on the field this whole season?

The Ohio State

TitanHope
01-01-2009, 09:59 AM
It depends on the scheme.

As some have said, I don't think he'd be at his best if he played in a Cover 2 DEF. He has the ability to fit those schemes, but Zone Blitz screams his name or anything where he'd have the ability to step forward on most plays. Gotta love him on a DEF like the Giants or Eagles.

That makes it hard to rank these guys. Curry obviously is the best, but would I prefer Curry or Spikes if I'm the Giants? Schemes give some guys handicaps. I'll go as far as this:

1st Tier:
-Curry

2nd Tier:
-Maualuga
-Laurinitis
-Spikes

3rd Tier:
-Herzlich
-Cushing

oldLibid21
01-01-2009, 11:04 AM
I see him as a good inside linebacker in the 3-4 system.

Monomach
01-01-2009, 02:19 PM
My number two LB behind Curry. I think he is starting caliber at every LB position in every scheme.

BigBanger
01-01-2009, 04:13 PM
What does Rey Rey do better than Spikes? Spikes is a better blitzer, more fluid in coverage, has sideline to sideline range and sheds blockers better.
Add to that he's an aggressive, downhill attacking LB. He breaks down in the open field. He plays under control (Discipline). And he plays with some sort of technique. Not only is he a great fit in a 34 defense as ILB, but he plays standing up as a DE and shows excellent pass rushing moves with an excellent burst off the line. Some teams could look to develop him as an OLB in a 34. The Patriots love guys like this and he would bring them the versatility that they would covet.

I don't think he can be an elite pass rusher by any means, but as a situational guy and a great blitzer from the inside. I think you're getting a more athletic James Farrior.

giantsfan
01-01-2009, 06:15 PM
The only hole in is game is that he's not a force in coverage like he is when he's stepping forward so I'd probably prefer laurinitis for teams like the lions and buffalo but in any aggressive D Spikes is just a hair under curry.