PDA

View Full Version : Cutler vs Stafford

foozball
01-01-2009, 01:44 PM
As prospects, theyre eerily similar. Both are 6'3 225-230ish. Both have big time arms. Both had that gunslinger mentality coming out of college. Both have relatively average mobility and are pocket passers.

Cutler never put up huge completion percentages (61% was his highest), but I guess playing at Vandy with Vandy receivers doesn't exactly help. But Stafford has put up similar completion percentages throughout his career as well.

Now onto the intangibles. Cutler was lauded for being a leader and for competing on a Vandy team that was usually the underdog in the SEC. Nobody doubted his competitive fire and his ability to command a team.

Does Stafford have the same leadership intangibles?

My question is...why is Stafford held in such high regard and being discussed as an elite prospect when Cutler wasnt? I'll agree that both have elite tools, but Stafford hasnt been a dominant QB even in the same conference with better talent around him. Is he really THAT good?

hockey619
01-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Im with you foozball. I dont like him as a top 3 pick. Not this year anyway.

Hes looks really bad right now against Michigan State. Erratic and unpoised.

SuperKevin
01-01-2009, 01:58 PM
I was hoping this thread was a spoiler to this year's Wrestlemania main event

Menardo75
01-01-2009, 01:59 PM
My question is...why is Stafford held in such high regard and being discussed as an elite prospect when Cutler wasnt? I'll agree that both have elite tools, but Stafford hasnt been a dominant QB even in the same conference with better talent around him. Is he really THAT good?

Because Stafford plays at Georgia and Cutler played at Vandy that simple.

sbh15
01-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Stafford has looked flat out awful today. This alone is making me want to move Bradford ahead of him.

Babylon
01-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I question if Stafford has had better tools to work with than Cutler did. His O-line has gotten progressively worse each year he's been there and his receivers are all over the map. In hindsight if people had know that Cutler would have adapted so well to the pros i think he would have been hyped more but it's hard to hype guys from programs that are down year after year.

In a way Stafford's hype is a result of Cutler's success. And yes he is playing lousy today, along with everyone else on that side of the ball.

bored of education
01-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Stafford may have looked like **** today but he is still a fricken beast.

sbh15
01-01-2009, 02:16 PM
And he's beginning to salvage this game starting with that last drive.

bored of education
01-01-2009, 02:17 PM
That was a great play by Stafford..the ball and head fake makingthe safety bite the a perfect throw

Babylon
01-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Stafford may have looked like **** today but he is still a fricken beast.

Maybe if he stinks it up he drops in the draft, one can only hope.

BBIB
01-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Cutler stayed until his final year. He would not have been the same QB if he didn't.

Stafford has amazing physical tools but he will be way too raw if he comes out which he probably will. For his sake, I hope he sits behind a QB.

Guys like Cutler and Ryan people love to compare Stafford to, did not have the weapons that STafford has had.

There is no excuses for some of those picks and missed reads that Stafford consistently makes

bored of education
01-01-2009, 02:29 PM
Nice touch on that pass wow

Babylon
01-01-2009, 02:39 PM
Cutler stayed until his final year. He would not have been the same QB if he didn't.

Stafford has amazing physical tools but he will be way too raw if he comes out which he probably will. For his sake, I hope he sits behind a QB.

Guys like Cutler and Ryan people love to compare Stafford to, did not have the weapons that STafford has had.

There is no excuses for some of those picks and missed reads that Stafford consistently makes

Stafford,Ryan and Cutler were all 3 year starters. I do think you're right though that he should sit as i think that about every young Qb

San Diego Chicken
01-01-2009, 03:27 PM
Stafford,Ryan and Cutler were all 3 year starters. I do think you're right though that he should sit as i think that about every young Qb

I brought this up in the last Stafford thread, but again, reps in practice are just as important as game experience. Why do you think Cassel did so well despite not ever starting a game? It's because he practiced each week against his first string defense and took hundreds of reps per day.

San Diego Chicken
01-01-2009, 03:32 PM
As prospects, theyre eerily similar. Both are 6'3 225-230ish. Both have big time arms. Both had that gunslinger mentality coming out of college. Both have relatively average mobility and are pocket passers.

Cutler never put up huge completion percentages (61% was his highest), but I guess playing at Vandy with Vandy receivers doesn't exactly help. But Stafford has put up similar completion percentages throughout his career as well.

Now onto the intangibles. Cutler was lauded for being a leader and for competing on a Vandy team that was usually the underdog in the SEC. Nobody doubted his competitive fire and his ability to command a team.

Does Stafford have the same leadership intangibles?

I don't think they are similar at all, other than the size factor, but to each his own.

BigBanger
01-01-2009, 03:42 PM

Stafford isn't raw. He's one of the most well developed junior QBs you will see. He's about two to three years ahead of Sam Bradford.

Guys like Cutler and Ryan had more spread formations and more one-on-one match ups. They were constantly throwing into double coverage like Stafford. Stafford also has a young line. He has a freshman WR that makes freshman mistakes. Knoshown is his only consistent threat.

Stafford forces passes. He doesn't make "miss reads." He sees the double coverage. He just has confidence in his arm to stick in-between the two defenders. Most of the time he gets away with it, sometime he doesn't. Jay Cutler is EXACTLY like that.

Stafford has one of the worst offensive schemes in the country for a QB. If a team shuts down his running game, then he's going to struggle since the Bulldog offense relies on the running game to set up the passing game. Some people may struggle to understand that, but Cutler and Ryan were schemes that were conducive to 35 to 40 pass attempts a game. They had easier throws and reads.

The best thing about those two... they had great accuracy down field. They were great leaders. They could fit the ball into tight spots and well covered defenders. They had good mechanics and arm strength. They were seniors and very well experienced. They had great timing with the receivers (Could throw the ball before they GOT OPEN). Well developed. Smart.

Stafford has a lot / most of those traits.

Babylon
01-01-2009, 03:42 PM
I brought this up in the last Stafford thread, but again, reps in practice are just as important as game experience. Why do you think Cassel did so well despite not ever starting a game? It's because he practiced each week against his first string defense and took hundreds of reps per day.

I want to agree with your response that reps in practice are important. However in the context of Stafford being ready for the pros he was playing on a Texas state title team as a Sr.,playing in the US Army game and then starting for 3 years in the SEC. Love him or hate him the kid is ready to move on.

BuddyCHRIST
01-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I don't get that, they throw the ball very similar and both have very strong arms with the ability to pin point. Not to mention they have similar running ability and came from SEC schools. Thats about as similar as two prospects will ever be.

Cutler was no slouch as a prospect, he went 11 overall in a loaded draft class. His success is part of the reason Stafford is held in higher regard now.

San Diego Chicken
01-01-2009, 03:47 PM
I want to agree with your response that reps in practice are important. However in the context of Stafford being ready for the pros he was playing on a Texas state title team as a Sr.,playing in the US Army game and then starting for 3 years in the SEC. Love him or hate him the kid is ready to move on.

I think Stafford can be a great pro, I think he is far better than Jamarcus Russell ever was despite Russell having an extra red shirt year. However, if Stafford has to start next year for a bad team, forget about it. The kid can't even buy a beer yet. He needs a year.

San Diego Chicken
01-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't get that, they throw the ball very similar and both have very strong arms with the ability to pin point. Not to mention they have similar running ability and came from SEC schools. Thats about as similar as two prospects will ever be.

Cutler was no slouch as a prospect, he went 11 overall in a loaded draft class. His success is part of the reason Stafford is held in higher regard now.

Here are the differences as I see it between Stafford and Cutler -

Cutler is an outside the pocket passer. NFL Teams spy and scheme him to keep him in the pocket, where he is much less efficient. Stafford is purely a pocket passer. In the NFL, D-coordinators will attack him and try to flush him out of there.

Cutler has a very fast release. Stafford has a slower release with more windup.

Cutler had terrible mechanics and still does. Stafford is much more balanced on his throws and mechanically sound from what I can tell.

Cutler's got quicker feet than Stafford.

I think Brady Quinn is an accurate comparison for Stafford based upon their throwing mechanics, size and arm strength, etc. I would say Stafford is about where Quinn was in Quinn's junior year.

(I always thought Quinn was better than Russell and still do. The bits and pieces I've seen of Quinn are far better than anything I've seen so far from Russell in the NFL)

Staubach12
01-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm not saying this because of the bowl.

I liked Cutler better than I like Stafford. The only QB prospect that I liked better than Cutler coming out in the past few years was JaMarcus Russell.

Babylon
01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I think Stafford can be a great pro, I think he is far better than Jamarcus Russell ever was despite Russell having an extra red shirt year. However, if Stafford has to start next year for a bad team, forget about it. The kid can't even buy a beer yet. He needs a year.

I think he'll sit a year for whatever team he ends up with. Might as well get paid.

In reality i hope he slides a bit to my Seahawks so i'm not obsessed with him going 1st. I could care less if he gets top money or 4th place money.

RaiderNation
01-01-2009, 04:01 PM
I didnt like Cutler that much when he came out and I dont like Stafford that much either. If I had to pick one as prospects I pick Stafford.

Also to the people that are saying Quinn has had more flashes that Russell so far, Im sorry your wrong. Russell has played great this year on a bad team. Yes he had 5 or 6 bad games, but thats expected from what I consider his rookie season. Russell played good the last 2 games of the year, and also many other times.

San Diego Chicken
01-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I didnt like Cutler that much when he came out and I dont like Stafford that much either. If I had to pick one as prospects I pick Stafford.

Also to the people that are saying Quinn has had more flashes that Russell so far, Im sorry your wrong. Russell has played great this year on a bad team. Yes he had 5 or 6 bad games, but thats expected from what I consider his rookie season. Russell played good the last 2 games of the year, and also many other times.

I just don't think Russell has what it takes mentally to be a great NFL QB. And worse yet, when was the last time that the Raiders developed a QB? Ken Stabler about 40 years ago?

Babylon
01-01-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm not saying this because of the bowl.

I liked Cutler better than I like Stafford. The only QB prospect that I liked better than Cutler coming out in the past few years was JaMarcus Russell.

You like Russell better than Stafford? just want to get you on record.

SenorGato
01-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Thats a good point...the only way Georgia's offense sucks as far as the system goes. It's like a junior version of a pro offense.

Only way that works is because of Stafford. The difference between Cutler and Stafford right now is the perceived maturity levels of a junior QB.

Stafford sounds mature enough. Still, I've said it before that if he really is mature enough he'll stay another year.

Otherwise I think the only major difference between them is that Cutler is much smarter but had the football disadvantage of going to Vandy. I still think Stafford is going to be a damn good QB, cause you don't need to be a genius.