PDA

View Full Version : Top Freshmen?

Go Cowboys
01-01-2009, 04:24 PM
I know it is early on in the process especially these guys who won't be draft eligible for another year or two depending on being redshirted. Who are some of the top freshman around college right now?

sbh15
01-01-2009, 04:29 PM
QB, Terelle Pryor, Ohio State
WR, DeAndre Brown, Southern Miss
WR, A.J. Green, Georgia
WR, Julio Jones, Alabama
DE, DaQuan Bowers, Clemson

All could be top 10 picks

JFLO
01-01-2009, 04:30 PM
It's hard to tell when it comes to freshman because so many things change, but I think the freshman that has the most potential at the next level is either Julio Jones of Alabama or Marcus Forston of Miami(FL).

One sleeper, who I think can make a quick emergence at anytime is Will Hill the Safety out of Florida.

sbh15
01-01-2009, 04:32 PM
It's hard to tell when it comes to freshman because so many things change, but I think the freshman that has the most potential at the next level is either Julio Jones of Alabama or Marcus Forston of Miami(FL).

One sleeper, who I think can make a quick emergence at anytime is Will Hill the Safety out of Florida.

Hill has got to play more, I think he could end up being a poor man's Eric Berry. He's got crazy ability, and you'll definitely see him get some offensive sets, he was a quarterback in high school, and if things don't work out with Brantley, he might end up there.

Go Cowboys
01-01-2009, 04:34 PM
WR, A.J. Green, Georgia
WR, Julio Jones, Alabama

He really impresses me every time I see a Clemson game on TV

Xiomera
01-01-2009, 04:36 PM
DT Mike Martin from Michigan looks like he'll be something pretty special in a couple years.

kwilk103
01-01-2009, 04:36 PM
josh jenkins----og wvu
robert sands---6'6 fs wvu

RaiderNation
01-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Pryor should be a top 10 pick when he comes out. I expect big things from him next year

draftguru151
01-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Mark Ingram (Alabama), Brandon Bolden (Ole Miss), and I think Caleb King (Georgia, not sure if he redshirted) for RB.

Green, Brown, Jones, Michael Floyd (Notre Dame), Jonathan Baldwin (Pitt) for WR.

Randolph (Notre Dame) and Blake Ayles (USC) for TE.

Clint Boling and Ben Jones are interior OL for UGA.

Travis Lewis for Oklahoma is a really athletic OLB. Donta Hightower looked for for Bama at LB too. Nigel Bradham for FSU looked good from what I've seen as well.

Robert Griffin for Baylor is an amazing athlete at QB.

CashmoneyDrew
01-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Caleb King is a RS IIRC.

WMD
01-01-2009, 04:40 PM
RB Mark Ingram for Alabama... from Flint!

foozball
01-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Pryor should be a top 10 pick when he comes out. I expect big things from him next year

his mechanics dont scare you? his balls flutter in the wind

sbh15
01-01-2009, 04:41 PM

:)

Hahahaha.

WMD
01-01-2009, 04:43 PM

:)

Hahahaha.

http://www.framboisekids.com.au/images/paris_giggle.jpg

Xiomera
01-01-2009, 04:44 PM

I take it you see him as Michael Vick 2.0?

sbh15
01-01-2009, 04:45 PM
I take it you see him as Michael Vick 2.0?

More like Terelle Pryor 1.0! OH YEAH!

SeanTaylorRIP
01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Bowers I think will be the freak defensive end prospect of 2011.

themaninblack
01-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't think Caleb King is a RS this season as far as I know. In fact, I'm pretty sure he got some carries today in their bowl game.

illmatic74
01-01-2009, 06:44 PM
QB Jordan Jefferson
WR Michael Floyd
WR Johnathan Baldwin
TE Kyle Rudolph

tjsunstein
01-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Bert Reed, RS FR. WR, FSU. Watch out for him. Even though WRs from FSU tend to do nothing after college with the exception of Anquan Boldin and I guess you could include Javon Walker.

Sniper
01-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Hahahahahaha Pryor as a top 10 pick. Hahahahahahaha.

He should probably learn to throw a spiral on a pass over 10 yards before we worry about top 10 pick.

Sniper
01-01-2009, 06:55 PM
DT Mike Martin from Michigan looks like he'll be something pretty special in a couple years.

Boubacar Cissoko will be a beast as well.

Michael Brewster from OSU is a beast at center.

Texas Homer
01-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Watch out for CB Aaron Williams Freshman from Texas and redshirt Freshman Safety Earl Thomas from Texas. Earl Thomas reminds me a little of a young Cedric Griffin.

Sniper
01-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Watch out for CB Aaron Williams Freshman from Texas and redshirt Freshman Safety Earl Thomas from Texas. Earl Thomas reminds me a little of a young Cedric Griffin.

Isn't Thomas the guy who cost Texas a shot at the NC game?

draftguru151
01-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Blake Gideon dropped the INT.

I don't think Caleb King is a RS this season as far as I know. In fact, I'm pretty sure he got some carries today in their bowl game.

He's a rFR now.

illmatic74
01-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Pryor should be a top 10 pick when he comes out. I expect big things from him next yearJordan Jefferson has more potential as a passer.

JFLO
01-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Jordan Jefferson has more potential as a passer.

This I disagree with, whether it's a serious statement or not.

Jordan Jefferson is going to be more of a mobile/option quarterback throughout his collegiate career, while Pryor will be playing in an offense that will lead to him throwing more and more as he progresses.

Not to mention the factor of Russell Shepherd coming in next season. Jordan Jefferson is going to have a hard time developing his game.

wicket
01-01-2009, 08:48 PM
WR, A.J. Green, Georgia
WR, Julio Jones, Alabama

floyd>green

illmatic74
01-01-2009, 08:50 PM
This I disagree with, whether it's a serious statement or not.

Jordan Jefferson is going to be more of a mobile/option quarterback throughout his collegiate career, while Pryor will be playing in an offense that will lead to him throwing more and more as he progresses.

Not to mention the factor of Russell Shepherd coming in next season. Jordan Jefferson is going to have a hard time developing his game.Pryor is more mobile. If you have seem him Jefferson has one of the strongest arms in the NCCA>

Texas Homer
01-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Isn't Thomas the guy who cost Texas a shot at the NC game?

I think your thinking about our other starting True Freshman safety Blake Gideon.

Solomon
01-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Mark Ingram (Alabama), Brandon Bolden (Ole Miss), and I think Caleb King (Georgia, not sure if he redshirted) for RB.

Green, Brown, Jones, Michael Floyd (Notre Dame), Jonathan Baldwin (Pitt) for WR.

Randolph (Notre Dame) and Blake Ayles (USC) for TE.

Clint Boling and Ben Jones are interior OL for UGA.

Travis Lewis for Oklahoma is a really athletic OLB. Donta Hightower looked for for Bama at LB too. Nigel Bradham for FSU looked good from what I've seen as well.

Robert Griffin for Baylor is an amazing athlete at QB.

Yep, Travis Lewis is a beast. Ran a 4.34 40 coming out of HS and now weighs 232 lbs. Even if he doesn't run that fast in shorts he has fantastic game speed, is physical, has very good instincts and plays the pass well. I think he will be a first rounder as early as 2010. The next Donnie Edwards.

keylime_5
01-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Well we have the best freshman center prospect, QB prospect (so far anyways), and possibly tackle prospect at Ohio State...but there won't be that good a guage on how good Mike Adams is until the 09 season when he's the starting sophomore left tackle. I think Miami has quite a freshman class so far too, Sean Spence at LB and Marcus Forston.

Sniper
01-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Robert Griffen is a superior prospect to Terrelle Pryor as of right now. The biggest reason, for me, is that Griffen can actually throw a tight spiral past ten yards.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Robert Griffen is a superior prospect to Terrelle Pryor as of right now. The biggest reason, for me, is that Griffen can actually throw a tight spiral past ten yards.

Not to mention he's a much better runner. Pryor is elusive and fast but you can easily take him down by shooting for the legs. Griffin can make you look silly and can outrun 99% of defenders in the college game. It's a shame Griffen will never have superior weapons, and he loses Jason Smith this year.

the decider13
01-02-2009, 04:03 AM
Travis Lewis OLB from OU

He was a beast filling in for after Reynolds injury, he should be a first round pick in 2-3 years.

illmatic74
01-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Travis Lewis OLB from OU

He was a beast filling in for after Reynolds injury, he should be a first round pick in 2-3 years.He has a chance to be a first rounder next year.

the decider13
01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
He has a chance to be a first rounder next year.

Ahh...I thought he was a true freshman, not RS. My bad. He definately has a chance to be a first rounder next year.

Don Vito
01-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Brandon Bolden (Ole Miss)

Bolden is definitely going to be a good one. He wasn't a big time recruit but he has all of the tools to be a great back. Bolden was far more impressive than Enrique Davis this year and I think when Davis comes around they will be quite the tandem.

There are plenty of talented freshman, but Marcus Forston is definitely a guy scouts are already salivating over.

JFLO
01-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Well we have the best freshman center prospect, QB prospect (so far anyways), and possibly tackle prospect at Ohio State...but there won't be that good a guage on how good Mike Adams is until the 09 season when he's the starting sophomore left tackle. I think Miami has quite a freshman class so far too, Sean Spence at LB and Marcus Forston.

Mike Adams is going to be a player that I'm going to keep an eye on all season long. He was touted as the best offensive lineman within the last 5-10 years, so it will be interesting to see how he does as a Sophomore starting.

gpngc
01-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Janoris Jenkins.

How is he not mentioned until page two?

Sniper
01-02-2009, 02:56 PM
floyd>green

Ludicrous. Absolutely false.

hellrazor
01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Ludicrous. Absolutely false.

its not as ludicrous as you think it is and i dont think either one is much better than the other. also not mentioned is tyron smith of usc. hell prob be one of the top lt prospect when he comes out.

Race for the Heisman
01-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Jarrett Lee and Robert Marve both have been impressive in short spurts. They are both probably going to (or have been in Marve's case) be displaced in favor of more mobile quarterbacks who are better suited to the college game, but I like both of their pro potentials if they can play consistently (unlikeli for Lee, maybe for Marve).

The wide receiver no one has mentioned, DeVier Posey. He got a little time as a true freshmen (relatively impressive considering Ohio State's depth chart) and probably has as much potential as Michael Floyd, although perhaps not Julio Jones or A.J. Green.

Etienne Sabino, before I move on from Ohio State. Had nigh-pro measurables coming out of high school (granted most are close) and should become faster and stronger.

Austin Box, Baker Steinkuhler; really just look at the Rivals 100 or Scouts' top guys and see who has the measurables since most just don't get on the field that early.

John Brantley - Heir to the throne of Tebow

Other guys already mentioned but repeated for emphasis:
Sean Spence
Janoris Jenkins
Brandon Bolden
Mike Adams
DaQuan Bowers
Julio Jones
Kyle Rudolph
A.J. Green
Michael Floyd

Oh, also Brandon Harris and Marcus Robinson, both of Miami.

Sniper
01-02-2009, 03:25 PM
The wide receiver no one has mentioned, DeVier Posey. He got a little time as a true freshmen (relatively impressive considering Ohio State's depth chart)

I like Posey but how is it impressive "considering Ohio State's depth chart"? Ray Small ******* sucks. Hartline is a borderline 6th rounder and the rest are a cluster ****. I felt bad for Robiskie because he's a good player who got caught in a really conservative offense. He's a good player.

Been mentioned before, but he bears extra mention. Mike Martin will crush your QB and eat your RB's soul. It's gonna happen.

Race for the Heisman
01-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I like Posey but how is it impressive "considering Ohio State's depth chart"? Ray Small ******* sucks. Hartline is a borderline 6th rounder and the rest are a cluster ****. I felt bad for Robiskie because he's a good player who got caught in a really conservative offense. He's a good player.

Been mentioned before, but he bears extra mention. Mike Martin will crush your QB and eat your RB's soul. It's gonna happen.

Like you say, Robiskie is very good, but Hartline is very good college player, Sanzenbacher is pretty good in his own right, and Tressel typically favors seniors.

Menardo75
01-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Julio Jones anybody?

LonghornsLegend
01-02-2009, 09:08 PM

Jonathan Baldwin is going to be a complete monster, he's going to have people talking about him really soon, I got to see him play quite a few times in HS and in the Under Armour All-American game, he'll be a star at Pitt sooner then later and at his size scouts will be drooling over him.

BigJohn98
01-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Jonathan Baldwin is going to be a complete monster, he's going to have people talking about him really soon, I got to see him play quite a few times in HS and in the Under Armour All-American game, he'll be a star at Pitt sooner then later and at his size scouts will be drooling over him.

Baldwin played in the US Army All American game.

thenewfeature06
01-02-2009, 09:29 PM
the rodgers brothers could put on some weight

Zyro_1014
01-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Hahahahahaha Pryor as a top 10 pick. Hahahahahahaha.

He should probably learn to throw a spiral on a pass over 10 yards before we worry about top 10 pick.

haha thats what i was gonna say, if anyone thinks Pryor is gonna be a top 10 pick right now they are insane. You need to be able to throw the ball in the NFL.

Julio Jones
AJ Green
Darrell Scott
DaQuan Bowers
Tyron Smith-Top rated OT last year, went to SC. Didnt play last year, but i have seen film of him and he is very strong and dominates in both the pass and the run game. Hes very long and has alot going for him. Easily the strongest OL in the class.

Staubach12
01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
To throw in another name at linebacker, Marcus McGraw looks like he could be something in a few years.

draftguru151
01-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Tyron Smith's length/base is crazy, such huge legs. Loved him coming out last year, looked good when he got in during garbage time this year. Him and Mike Adams are going to be scary good.

Zyro_1014
01-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Tyron Smith's length/base is crazy, such huge legs. Loved him coming out last year, looked good when he got in during garbage time this year. Him and Mike Adams are going to be scary good.

yeah hes a freak! and he doesnt have like an ounce of fat on him either.

Race for the Heisman
01-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Just a few more:

Russell Wilson, QB, North Carolina State
Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
Victor Anderson, RB, Lousiville
Aldarius Johnson, WR, Miami
LaRon Byrd, WR, Miami
Travis Benjamin, WR, Miami
Blake Ayles, TE, Southern Cal
Josh Oglesby, OT, Wisconsin
Trindon Sturdivant, OT, Georgia
Nathan Williams, DE, Ohio State
Nigel Bradham, LB, Florida State
Chris Marve, LB, Vanderbilt

Also, can't say if he's any good, but Lewis Guy, CB, Kentucky, has fantastic triangle numbers and is seeing the field as a true freshmen. Interesting to see what might happen there.

Zyro_1014
01-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Just a few more:

Russell Wilson, QB, North Carolina State
Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
Victor Anderson, RB, Lousiville
Aldarius Johnson, WR, Miami
LaRon Byrd, WR, Miami
Travis Benjamin, WR, Miami
Blake Ayles, TE, Southern Cal
Josh Oglesby, OT, Wisconsin
Trindon Sturdivant, OT, Georgia
Nathan Williams, DE, Ohio State
Nigel Bradham, LB, Florida State
Chris Marve, LB, Vanderbilt

Also, can't say if he's any good, but Lewis Guy, CB, Kentucky, has fantastic triangle numbers and is seeing the field as a true freshmen. Interesting to see what might happen there.

Ryan Mallett is technically a sophmore.

Ayles is gonna be a stud!

Race for the Heisman
01-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Ryan Mallett is technically a sophmore.

Ayles is gonna be a stud!

Does the year that he sits out count against him?

Zyro_1014
01-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Does the year that he sits out count against him?

well i guess not, he will be a RS sophmore next year.

hes just older than all those guys.

Sniper
01-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Michigan got a chance to play a few freshmen this year. Other than Martin and Cissoko, both guys who I've gone on about before, Martavious Odoms had a decent year as he led the team in receptions and yards and added a punt return TD. Daryl Stonum had an okay year as well, finishing third on the team in receiving yards.

Kevin Koger is one to look out for Michigan. He's got good size and speed to create mismatches in the slot.

Zyro_1014
01-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Michigan got a chance to play a few freshmen this year. Other than Martin and Cissoko, both guys who I've gone on about before, Martavious Odoms had a decent year as he led the team in receptions and yards and added a punt return TD. Daryl Stonum had an okay year as well, finishing third on the team in receiving yards.

Kevin Koger is one to look out for Michigan. He's got good size and speed to create mismatches in the slot.

Cissoko is a stud, very physical

draftguru151
01-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Jacory Harris (QB), Aldarius Johnson (WR), Travis Benjamin (WR), Laron Byrd (WR), Thearon Collier (WR), Davon Johnson (WR), Marcus Robinson (DE), Andrew Smith (DE), Adewale Ojomo (DE), Marcus Forston (DT), Sean Spence (LB), and Brandon Harris (CB) are freshman that played a decent amount this year for Miami.

Race for the Heisman
01-02-2009, 10:22 PM

I think he'll be good in college, but I question his pro prospects. He got picked on in the US Army All-America Bowl because of his height and he doesn't have the pure leaping ability (from what I've seen) of a guy like Pacman Jones to compete with bigger receivers. I remember watching Pacman go toe-to-toe with Vincent Jackson and get the same level of overall elevation.

Sniper
01-02-2009, 10:23 PM

Yeah he had his ups and downs like most freshmen. Like RFTH said, his pro prospects are kind of iffy, but he'll make a nice #2 corner for Michigan. He reminds me a lot of former Arkansas CB Chris Houston.

bernbabybern820
01-02-2009, 10:30 PM

I thought he played at the Army All-American bowl but ya i completely agree. I wish he went to Notre Dame.

Zyro_1014
01-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I thought he played at the Army All-American bowl but ya i completely agree. I wish he went to Notre Dame.

so Jimmy "the golden boy" Clausen could never get him the ball? :D

Marino13
01-02-2009, 10:38 PM

Koger will be a stud TE and when we were able to get him the ball, he made plays. He could be what Butler should've been.

Stonum has great speed, and like Koger he didn't get any help from our QBs, but Stonum also had some pretty bad drops and whiffed on blocks when blocking for Odoms.

hellrazor
01-03-2009, 12:10 AM
tyron smith is a physical freak. plus hes got long arms so youre not getting around him once he locks on to you.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/44/441092.jpg

LonghornsLegend
01-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Baldwin played in the US Army All American game.

Yea my mistake, that was the one Terrelle Pryor was in wearing the black uniform.