PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Angelo says QB is Top Off-Season Priority

sbh15
01-01-2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-31-bears-haugh-chicagodec31,0,3620893.column

Does this mean I can give the Bears a QB in my mock from now on?

bearsfan_51
01-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Haha....no.

He's just saying that the QB position is the most important position on the team. This is only news in Chicago, where quarterbacks are known for nothing more than turning around and handing off.

Now that Josh Freeman declared I think he could be a possibility at 18, but I think it's more likely that we grab a veteran should one become available.

Gay Ork Wang
01-01-2009, 05:06 PM
i really dont think this team is gonna grab a QB in the first, that would be admitting to rebuilding kinda

The Dynasty
01-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Haha....no.

He's just saying that the QB position is the most important position on the team. This is only news in Chicago, where quarterbacks are known for nothing more than turning around and handing off.

Now that Josh Freeman declared I think he could be a possibility at 18, but I think it's more likely that we grab a veteran should one become available.

Well Im sort of hoping he is there at 23 for the Vikings. I think Orton is the future for the bears. He performed very well this season and the Bears just need to get a better set of receivers. Hester seems like he is becoming a good WR but the bears need a tall receiver to go with him.

bearsfan_51
01-01-2009, 05:08 PM
He didn't perform very well. He performed very well for about 5 games. Bad for 5 games. And ok for the other 6.

Jerry is correct, Orton needs to prove more before we can fully give him the keys to the car, but I don't think that means we draft a QB in the 1st round.

Gay Ork Wang
01-01-2009, 05:09 PM
wait, he didnt play 16 games

like i said in the discussion thread, i really want to see orton perform injuryfree again to pass judgement on him

bearsfan_51
01-01-2009, 05:12 PM
wait, he didnt play 16 games
True. I was speaking metaphorically really.

Monomach
01-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Orton should have just stayed out after the high ankle sprain instead of limping back onto the field. Him being a tough guy and not subjecting us to more Rex Grossman is what makes every dumbassed Bears fan badmouth him.

Even while playing half of the season hobbled, Kyle Orton just had the 4th-best season by a Bears QB in history (after 95, 65, and 43).

Jerry Angelo is an incredibly overrated GM. Bucs fans have the right idea. I wish he'd shut up when it comes to things he doesn't know about.

Like Quarterbacks.
http://i39.tinypic.com/axi7vs.jpg

Or First Round draft picks...

If Matt Stafford fell to us, and we drafted him, and then started him in his first year...He'd probably have a rookie season like Kyle Orton's. If he had a second season like Kyle Orton's second season as starter, Bears fans would take their ****** pills and demand that we start a guy lacking NFL tools like Caleb Hanie. The Bears have one of the least intelligent fan bases in the NFL.

bearsfan_51
01-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Jerry Angelo was never the GM of the Bucs, so to act like he had control over those decisions is completely false and misleading.

Gay Ork Wang
01-01-2009, 06:09 PM
i really like Jerry Angelo, i mean every GM drafts busts.

bearfan
01-01-2009, 06:15 PM
There is a lot of speculation that his comments is just to not give Orton any leverage if his agent were to want to go into some contract talks this offseason. I agree though, he needs to show improvement next season if he wants to be here long term. He had a pretty decent season IMO, 21 total TDs to 12 ints. Matt Cassel was something like 23 total TD to 11 ints. Cassel had more yards, and a better rating, but the arguably better offense. Cassel also had one less lost fumble, but one more fumble overall.

Im not saying that Kyle Orton is better or as good as Cassel, but Orton I definantly think can be the guy if he is given time to prove it. They had similar seasons, obviously with Cassel passing for more yards, and he had better completion percentages, but Cassel also had the superstars around him to sucseed. I hope Orton can be the guy, Im tired of the carosel at QB.

pellepelle_10
01-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Haha....no.

I think u hit the nail on the head with this one 51. It's apparent QB will be a top priority in the offseason according to Angelos determined statements. I'm also thinking it will be a vet for the simple fact that he spoke about the old players still playing well in the NFL such as Warner, Garcia, Collins, and Frerotte. Angelo seems please with Ortons progress but he doesn't seem sold. I was a little stunned at it personally. I wouldn't be shocked if we made a move at a disgruntled McNabb if he decides no to go back to Philly. JMO though.

pellepelle_10
01-01-2009, 06:24 PM
There is a lot of speculation that his comments is just to not give Orton any leverage if his agent were to want to go into some contract talks this offseason. I agree though, he needs to show improvement next season if he wants to be here long term. He had a pretty decent season IMO, 21 total TDs to 12 ints. Matt Cassel was something like 23 total TD to 11 ints. Cassel had more yards, and a better rating, but the arguably better offense. Cassel also had one less lost fumble, but one more fumble overall.

Im not saying that Kyle Orton is better or as good as Cassel, but Orton I definantly think can be the guy if he is given time to prove it. They had similar seasons, obviously with Cassel passing for more yards, and he had better completion percentages, but Cassel also had the superstars around him to sucseed. I hope Orton can be the guy, Im tired of the carosel at QB.

I'm a little on the fence with Orton. I think he much better than I would have expected. I do think he has a lot to improve on. His accuracy on the longball is downright awful. For him to become a reliable source he needs to improve dramatically on this. His numbers could have been way better if he even connected on 30% of the longballs he made this season.

MidwayMonster31
01-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I think they should resign Orton mainly because there isn't much else there. Cassel is expected to make a ton of money this year. He either gets franchised by the Patriots or breaks the bank with someone else and proves that he's a system player. There are a lot of development picks in the draft and it wouldn't surprise me if they drafted one of those guys.

bigbluedefense
01-01-2009, 07:22 PM
If Mark Sanchez comes out, you guys should make an aggressive push for him. I think he's the real deal.

Smokey Joe
01-01-2009, 09:10 PM
I could see QB being a very realistic possibility in round 1, especially if Sanchez or Bradford come out and fall to 18 (possibly 17). Also, if Freeman impresses in his workouts, I could see him raising to 18 and being a possibility for us.

On the other hand, with Lovie's job possibly riding on next season, using a 1st round pick on a QB isn't the smartest move to build up a competitive team for the season (Ryan and Flacco being the exception).

Most likely, I see us signing someone like Kerry Collins, and give Orton one more year to prove that he is anything more then a very mediocre QB who'd make a good backup. But I still wouldn't rule out QB in the 1st.

PACKmanN
01-01-2009, 09:16 PM
If Mark Sanchez comes out, you guys should make an aggressive push for him. I think he's the real deal.

doubt they Bears can afford to give up that much to get him. Plus it wouldn't be a good fit for him to go to Chicago and get in an offense like that, he needs to join a spread type offense.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Jerry Angelo was never the GM of the Bucs, so to act like he had control over those decisions is completely false and misleading.

Angelo was as good as the GM in the '80s in Tampa. Everything went through McKay & Angelo and it was quite possibly the worst run front office, ever. This is a common misconception with JA. Most thought he was just in charge of the scouting department, but in was reality the assistant GM / General Manager. Would you put on your resume that you were in charge of the worst run FO of all time?

In the '80s when Angelo & McKay were drafting blunder after blunder the local newspapers would shred them both & Jerry was the main one being quoted about trades & draft choices.

That front office was run so poorly, that agents for TB players didn't even know who to go to talk contract extensions for. McKay & Angelo were both laughing stocks in TB.

Angelo may have never gotten the "GM" tag, but he pretty much was and he definitely was responsible for a lot of the blunders.

Take a look at the QBs he went through in TB. It's not a coincidence that the Bears have had no stability within the position.

bearsfan_51
01-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Angelo was as good as the GM in the '80s in Tampa. Everything went through McKay & Angelo and it was quite possibly the worst run front office, ever. This is a common misconception with JA. Most thought he was just in charge of the scouting department, but in was reality the assistant GM / General Manager. Would you put on your resume that you were in charge of the worst run FO of all time?

In the '80s when Angelo & McKay were drafting blunder after blunder the local newspapers would shred them both & Jerry was the main one being quoted about trades & draft choices.

That front office was run so poorly, that agents for TB players didn't even know who to go to talk contract extensions for. McKay & Angelo were both laughing stocks in TB.

Angelo may have never gotten the "GM" tag, but he pretty much was and he definitely was responsible for a lot of the blunders.

Take a look at the QBs he went through in TB. It's not a coincidence that the Bears have had no stability within the position.
Perception is different than reality. Unless you know a whole lot more about how the Bucs operated, Jerry was in charge of player personnel (which is really nothing like a scout at all). I'm aware of the strife in the front office, I think a lot of people are, but you really can't put the bad draft picks on Jerry, at least not primarily. Regardless, if you want to put that association on him, he also helped build a team that eventually won a Superbowl and has been a consistant winner for the past decade.

I'm not arguing that Jerry is an offensive mastermind, but I don't think there's much to substantiate he was in charge of the Steve Young disaster.

bearsfan_51
01-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Besides, anyone who knows much of anything knows that the Bucs sucked primarily because of Tom Culverhouse, their cheap and idiotic owner (think Bill Bidwell meets William Clay Ford). Once Culverhouse died in 1994, they hired Tony Dungy two years later and boom, instant perrenial contendor.

shane_man
01-01-2009, 10:12 PM
I see two options for the Bears this offseason.

Either way involves the Bears signing a veteran free agent who can go this year. Someone like Jon Kitna.

Option a) Bring in Kitna(I'm just using his name because it's the easiest to go by) and have him challenge Orton for the starting spot. That way it's win/win regardless of who wins the starting spot. If Kitna wins. That would probably be an improvement at QB compared to last year. If Orton wins it means he's beaten out another guy in training camp which clearly shows improvement.

OR

Option b) Bring in "Kitna" and have him start next season(cutting your ties to Orton and Grossman) But trade back into the late first round (anywhere from pick 28-32). Use that as your first round pick for the player you would have picked in the first round and with the original first round selection you have pick the best QB available. Preferrably not a gunslinger. But a good solid QB who won't make a career of mistakes. Have the drafted QB sit for a year behind Kitna learning how to play in the pros(Carson Palmer style)... And have him ready to step in for the 2010 season.

You would only go with option A if you really do feel that Kyle Orton is the longterm solution at QB for the Bears. Option B requires that you make the correct selection at the draft and don't pick another Grossman.

bearsfan_51
01-01-2009, 10:14 PM
It's not even worth suggesting that we cut Orton, there's no chance that will happen. He'll start the year as the QB, the question is where does the competition come from (I sure as hell hope it's not Kitna)

shane_man
01-01-2009, 10:37 PM
It's not even worth suggesting that we cut Orton, there's no chance that will happen. He'll start the year as the QB, the question is where does the competition come from (I sure as hell hope it's not Kitna)

I only mentioned Kitna because he's probably the best FA QB that will hit the market this year(assuming Detroit releases him)... The rest will be inexperienced projects or players who don't have as good a resume as Kitna(which is just embarrassing)...

So Orton will definately stay. Then I think drafting QB at this point is a waste of time. Orton is still relatively young in his career. If a drafted QB pans out(to where he's at least the equal of Orton) you are left in a position of having to trade/release one.

Maybe Kyle Boller if he gets released.
Todd Collins

There is one more name but I think if he hits the open market. He wouldn't sign for you guys unless he was guaranteed the start. Matt Hasselbeck. Without Holmgren and with Seneca Wallace finishing the season pretty strongly there could be cause for Matt H being released in the offseason... Would he be enough to knock Kyle Orton out of the starting gig?

bearsfan_51
01-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Alex Smith, Jeff Garcia, and Kurt Warner are all FA's I believe.

As for Hassleback, I certainly hope not, as I think he sucks. At least Orton has some time on his side.

regoob2
01-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Why would we cut Orton?

shane_man
01-01-2009, 11:05 PM
Because you need a QB who actually makes team respect the passing game... I don't mind Orton in Chicago when you guys are a power running team. I have an opinion of Orton where I see him as a guy who will try his absolute best not to lose a game. But I wouldn't trust him to win the game. That type of QB suits a power running team. But you guys were bottom third of the league in both offensive categories.

So unless this draft is going to be about rebuilding that power running attack(and after then Benson business, I'm not sure you guys are too interested in looking at RB in the first round anymore), you need a QB who can move the ball when the going get's tough.

So yeah. I don't want to see Orton go but when it comes to a matter of weighing up drafting and signing through FA a few pieces to a power running game or simply making ONE signing and replacing the QB. You can see which one I would go for.

Kurt Warner is almost definately retiring after this season(and if he can go again... I don't see why the Cards would let him walk).

Jeff Garcia has got to be 1,000,000 years old and again. I see him as just more of a mature version of Kyle Orton anyway. Maybe to back Orton up but then you still have to solve the issue of the running game.

Alex Smith is an interesting name. Do you guys really think he would be a worthwhile addition to a roster? I mean I see David Carr in a better light then I do Alex Smith. He would be no better then what you already have.

bearfan
01-01-2009, 11:16 PM
I didnt read anything but the 1st paragraph, but I disagree with you. Orton may not have had the flash, but he put the team in for the win on numerous occasions, heck he was probably at his best with the game on the line. Take the ATL game, where he gets us up with seconds left on the clock. The bucs game after having a horrible 1st half, came out and put us up by 10.

Orton is not the problem, he needs to improve, but I think I can trust the guy with the game on the line.

thebow305
01-01-2009, 11:18 PM
What would you guys say about someone like Leinart if he was to become available?

Geo
01-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Unless the Bears sign Matt Cassel, I'm not sure there's an experienced player worth signing. I'd probably go for picking up Luke McCown out of Tampa on the cheap, instead, maybe.

The Bears taking Josh Freeman in the 1st is intriguing. Orton gives him a year to develop, unless Freeman really surprises and wins the competition earlier. Does Freeman have the arm to succeed in Chicago?

If fellow junior QB Tim Tebow is declaring, that would be interesting. I'd want to go for him, moreso in the 2nd if I could wait, as I am big on Tebow and am very willing to give him a chance at QB in the NFL. However, is Alex Smith really all that different? He would cost more dollars-wise, but comes with some NFL experience already and wouldn't cost a pick.

bearsfan_51
01-01-2009, 11:22 PM
So unless this draft is going to be about rebuilding that power running attack(and after then Benson business, I'm not sure you guys are too interested in looking at RB in the first round anymore), you need a QB who can move the ball when the going get's tough.
Are you seriously implying that Forte is the problem? Have you ever watched a Bears game?

bearsfan_51
01-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Freeman definately has the arm, easily the 2nd best in the draft assuming Stafford declares. It's his brain and heart that are questionable.

bearfan
01-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Who is this Josh Freeman? I dont watch to much college football, so what are his pros and cons, and why would he be a good pick at 18?

And thebow, I would hope that we would jump all over Leinart if he is released. The competition would be good, I dont think he would win the starting, but to have another solid QB like Leinart would be good. With that said, Arizona would be the dummest franchise to let go their former top 10 QB without giving him at least one full season. Kinda similar to Rex Grossman, injuries have hindered, but he deserves a shot.

shane_man
01-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Are you seriously implying that Forte is the problem? Have you ever watched a Bears game?

Hell to the NO. What makes you think I don't like Forte? There is more then one piece to a power running game. And with the way every team is moving to a system of split backs. You need to be looking at drafting a few different types of runners to compliment Forte's all-round awesomeness.

Not to mention maybe a few additions along the line.

regoob2
01-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Who is this Josh Freeman? I dont watch to much college football, so what are his pros and cons, and why would he be a good pick at 18?

And thebow, I would hope that we would jump all over Leinart if he is released. The competition would be good, I dont think he would win the starting, but to have another solid QB like Leinart would be good. With that said, Arizona would be the dummest franchise to let go their former top 10 QB without giving him at least one full season. Kinda similar to Rex Grossman, injuries have hindered, but he deserves a shot.I really like Josh Freeman. He has it all physically. If he's there in round 2 Id definetly look long and hard at him.

bearfan
01-01-2009, 11:42 PM
I really like Josh Freeman. He has it all physically. If he's there in round 2 Id definetly look long and hard at him.

So he would be a 2nd rounder, not a 1st?

bearsfan_51
01-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Freeman got an early 2nd round grade from the review committee, which means that he'll probably work his way into the 1st when he has an impressive pro day.

I personally would not take him in the 1st round, but someone likely will.

regoob2
01-02-2009, 12:07 AM
I dont think we should take him in the first. Im surprised they rated him that high. There normally more conservative. Where did you hear he got that grade? Is there a site that says would players got?

bearsfan_51
01-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Actually I heard it on here, but I'm sure they got it from someone else.

Freeman has a ton of pure physical ability, he just hasn't performed that well in college. In his defense though, Kansas State sucks.

Monomach
01-02-2009, 01:06 AM

Start with JaMarcus Russell.
Take away a little bit of his arm strength. Not much; just a bit.
Take away some of his decision-making skills.
Take away anything resembling long-range accuracy.
Give him easier competition.
Make him play really bad every time he faces a good team.

Voila. You now have Josh Freeman, a project QB who in no way is deserving of a first round pick. He's behind Stafford, Sanchez, Bradford, and Davis for sure. He blows away jokes like Tebow, though. Personally, I'd feel that using a pick on him before the 3rd would be a huge waste. He's probably a long-term developmental guy.

Josh Freeman is all QB size and arm strength. There's nothing else there.

Watching him play, he gives me the Andre Woodson heebeejeebees. You know...The kind where you think "oh crap, I sure hope Jerry Angelo doesn't draft this bust, declare him the starter a la Rex Grossman, and waste 5 or 6 years on him."

pellepelle_10
01-02-2009, 01:52 AM
I agree with many that say qb is not a worthy option with Lovie and Angelo's future contingent on this upcoming years performance. I don't think it's a bad idea but with all the indications Angelo has given and backed about veterans that have held their own I highly doubt another drafted qb will be the likely option.

I pray Kitna doesn't smell a Bear's jersey and the same goes to Kerry Collins and Matt Hasselheck.

I think bringing in a vet makes total sense but let it be someone who can stay healthy and someone whose capable of starting for the Detriot Lions for crying out loud. Collins got cut from the Raiders and the only reason he's survived Tennessee is because their rush attack has been among the best in the NFL. Same reason Tavarous Jackson can win games in Minny.

I think our concerns as far as draft picks are concerned can go many ways.

FS, OG, OT, DE, WR, SS can all be attained from this draft. Clouding it up with a QB will only stagnate our chances of having somewhat of a successful season next year.

PACKmanN
01-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Actually I heard it on here, but I'm sure they got it from someone else.

Freeman has a ton of pure physical ability, he just hasn't performed that well in college. In his defense though, Kansas State sucks.

Jordy Nelson does not suck.

awfullyquiet
01-02-2009, 09:33 AM
i think this is all ridiculous.

give orton an actual receiver, a real left tackle (check), and a year or two, i think we'll have a different perception of him. besides. JA is pretty weird with the information he gives and doesn't ever follow the information he gives. so. what he says before the draft is completely irrelevant and purposely misleading.

put the money in the defense.

Gay Ork Wang
01-02-2009, 09:38 AM
agreed! I believe in Orton

awfullyquiet
01-02-2009, 09:41 AM

and if not. forte will carry the offense like thomas jones did with grossman.

Gay Ork Wang
01-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Orton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> grossman

regoob2
01-02-2009, 11:47 AM
When Orton played bad he still never played as bad as Grossman.

Gay Ork Wang
01-02-2009, 12:29 PM
hell even when Orton didnt play he played better than Grossman

Geo
01-02-2009, 12:39 PM
That's just ice cold.

Also, Grossman was absolutely better when he took over for a benched Orton in '05. And Rex was the reason they almost won in the playoffs over Carolina, if the defense didn't do such a poor job covering Steve Smith.

Rexy definitely needs a change of scenery though. And for crying out loud, get the center-quarterback snap exchange down pat.

Gay Ork Wang
01-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Bears fans tend to exaggerate if we are referring to the Cumslinger

regoob2
01-02-2009, 01:01 PM
[quote=Geo;1401015]
Also, Grossman was absolutely better when he took over for a benched Orton in '05. And Rex was the reason they almost won in the playoffs over Carolina[quote] That was a LONG time ago.

Geo
01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Yeah, Orton looks better since then. Rex ...

regoob2
01-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I think Rex could succeed somewhere. His confidence is shattered here. It doesnt help that we boo him everytime he steps on the field.

MidwayMonster31
01-02-2009, 01:07 PM
At least Rex has cut back on his repeated strangling of small children.
Seriously though, Orton should be fine. Rex has been the same, inconsistent Rex that he was since last year. Orton had some bad habits since his ankle injury (that he came back way too early from). As long as he puts in the work during the offseason, he should be fine for next year.

bearsfan_51
01-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Rex's career is over. He'll be 29 when the season starts next year, 4 years older than Alex Smith. The developmental years are over. He's not going to change his mistakes.

regoob2
01-02-2009, 01:37 PM
At least Rex has cut back on his repeated strangling of small children.
Seriously though, Orton should be fine. Rex has been the same, inconsistent Rex that he was since last year. Orton had some bad habits since his ankle injury (that he came back way too early from). As long as he puts in the work during the offseason, he should be fine for next year.
Orton played extremely well for a QB who starting in first full season with such little talent around him.

shady00
01-02-2009, 05:52 PM
We don't have to draft a QB round 1, we have bigger needs.

regoob2
01-02-2009, 06:40 PM
We don't have to draft a QB round 1, we have bigger needs.
If Matt Stafford there Id take him.

TimD
01-02-2009, 06:42 PM
The Jets will gladly take Orton.

Monomach
01-02-2009, 07:14 PM
The Jets will gladly take Orton.
I think Orton would be glad to go there, too.

That line, Coles, and Cotchery would be a hell of an upgrade from what he's dealing with now. There'd be no QB controversy if he had all of that around him.

shady00
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
If Matt Stafford there Id take him.
Stafford will not fall out the top 10, and I'm not sold on Bradford. I'd like Sanchez if he comes out--which doesn't seem likely.

When it comes to Freeman, just read Scott's feature on 2nd and 3rd round QB's; they're not worth it. If you're drafting a QB, he should be a 1st rounder and I don't see that happening this year.

dabears10
01-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Stafford will not fall out the top 10, and I'm not sold on Bradford. I'd like Sanchez if he comes out--which doesn't seem likely.

When it comes to Freeman, just read Scott's feature on 2nd and 3rd round QB's; they're not worth it. If you're drafting a QB, he should be a 1st rounder and I don't see that happening this year.

I understand the point about not relying on a 2nd Rd QB to be successful for you, because there is a reason they fall to the 2nd. However, if it's a guy you feel that can succeed you draft him.
All that said, I hope we don't draft a QB unless Stafford falls.

bearsfan_51
01-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Scott.....yeah.....

VoteLynnSwan
01-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Rhett Bomar is a guy i wouldn't mind taking at all... I figure if a number of juniors declare he'd be in the late 2nd, early third area. He's got all the tools, obviously there's the maturity issues, but he's a first round talent, and at least that way we wouldn't waste a first round pick on a guy who definitely won't start next year.

Smokey Joe
01-03-2009, 10:25 AM
I think the maturity issues are overrated. He got screwed over by the store, they told him he didn't have to come into work and all that. How many 18-19 year old college students would turn down a free paycheck?

regoob2
01-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I would be very happy if we took Freeman in the 2nd. I think he can develop into a very good QB.

captainjack27
01-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Rhett Bomar is a guy i wouldn't mind taking at all... I figure if a number of juniors declare he'd be in the late 2nd, early third area. He's got all the tools, obviously there's the maturity issues, but he's a first round talent, and at least that way we wouldn't waste a first round pick on a guy who definitely won't start next year.

I think I'd take freeman over Bomar if they were both available in the second. However, Bomar definitely is a guy I'd watch for in the coming months during his workouts.

VoteLynnSwan
01-04-2009, 02:19 AM
I think the maturity issues are overrated. He got screwed over by the store, they told him he didn't have to come into work and all that. How many 18-19 year old college students would turn down a free paycheck?

i didn't know the story actually, but regardless, it shows a lack of common sense, you have to know not to do something like that.

if he were there in the early third, i'd definitely attempt to trade up to get him.

TimD
01-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I think Orton would be glad to go there, too.

That line, Coles, and Cotchery would be a hell of an upgrade from what he's dealing with now. There'd be no QB controversy if he had all of that around him.

well coles is probably gone. but i'm assuming we look to get a WR in the draft or FA, so yeah

MidwayMonster31
01-04-2009, 04:22 PM
i didn't know the story actually, but regardless, it shows a lack of common sense, you have to know not to do something like that.

if he were there in the early third, i'd definitely attempt to trade up to get him.It was stupid of him to put himself in that position. But in his interview with Scott, he sounds like he's learned from it and moved on. If he's there in the third round, I would go for it.

Monomach
01-04-2009, 06:18 PM
It was stupid of him to put himself in that position. But in his interview with Scott, he sounds like he's learned from it and moved on. If he's there in the third round, I would go for it.

I think he's past that, too.

One thing everyone has to keep in mind is that he took that job when he was an academic sophomore. At least his stupid decision wasn't something like the stuff that's come out of Miami over the years. He probably learned his lesson from being banished to Sam "that really exists?" Houston State and losing millions of rookie contract dollars.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Rex's career is over. He'll be 29 when the season starts next year, 4 years older than Alex Smith. The developmental years are over. He's not going to change his mistakes.

Jake Delhomme was a nobody until the panthers gave him a shot because htey had nothing at QB and he was around 29 when that happened. I could certainly see rex going to a bad team as the backup and impress if he cuts down on his aggressiveness, playing in a dome with a great running game would be huge for him. Potentially even taking over for a struggling starter someplace like St. Louis, Minnesota, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee and maybe even Washington.

regoob2
01-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Jake Delhomme was a nobody until the panthers gave him a shot because htey had nothing at QB and he was around 29 when that happened. I could certainly see rex going to a bad team as the backup and impress if he cuts down on his aggressiveness, playing in a dome with a great running game would be huge for him. Potentially even taking over for a struggling starter someplace like St. Louis, Minnesota, Detroit, Jacksonville, Tennessee and maybe even Washington.
I would love to see him end up in Det or Minny.

shady00
01-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I could definitely see us taking Tebow somewhere if he falls--after the 1st round of course.