PDA

View Full Version : Guys that helped themselves today

Babylon
01-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Knowshon Moreno-we know he can run with the ball but his ability to catch the ball will keep him on the field on 3rd down and give his QB a great 4th or 5th option.

Taylor Mays-Showed he can deliver the payload and make plays. His speed will be more evidenced at the next level than it is at SC, see nothing but a high riser here.

Mark Sanchez-May have made his decision to leave for the NFL a lot easier after todays game. I've heard all the arguments why he should stay and i've come up with some of them myself but he is as ready as anyone else out there to start getting paid for play. (i assume they dont get paid at USC:roll:

Clay Matthews-He's not just an oh by the way he's pretty good type he really is. May be limited to a 3-4 outside guy but either way he can get to the QB and will be tough on special teams. Closer to his dad than most would have ever thought.

Matt Stafford-Didnt have a very good 1st half but showed the whole bag of tricks after intermission. He's tough as nails, has great touch and has one of the better arms you'll ever see.

Sorry for the USC, Georgia bias.

Pokeys
01-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Huge game from Sanchez.

BuddyCHRIST
01-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I agree with Mays, he's a much better wrap up tackler than I thought and doesn't avoid contact at all. He really squares up and tackles people.

Malaka
01-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Mark Sanchez definitely helped himself today he had a great game. I still think it is best for him to stay at USC for one more year, he is slowly passing Bradford and Stafford in my QB rankings.

ThePudge
01-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Sanchez declaring would make for an interesting QB debate at the top. Still, the big winner, as you mentioned, was Taylor Mays, who showed on a national scale that he's more than just measurables today. Potentially two Top 15 prospects, Mays is perhaps one of the top 7 or so in this draft.

PMoney18
01-01-2009, 11:03 PM
shon greene- he was an absolute beast

Babylon
01-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Sanchez declaring would make for an interesting QB debate at the top. Still, the big winner, as you mentioned, was Taylor Mays, who showed on a national scale that he's more than just measurables today. Potentially two Top 15 prospects, Mays is perhaps one of the top 7 or so in this draft.

Not sure how high Sanchez and Bradford can get if they declare. I'm sticking with Stafford as the top QB but after that not sure what teams like Seattle, KC and San Fran are thinking (not sure they know yet either)so it's all speculation right now.

PMoney18
01-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Not sure how high Sanchez and Bradford can get if they declare. I'm sticking with Stafford as the top QB but after that not sure what teams like Seattle, KC and San Fran are thinking (not sure they know yet either)so it's all speculation right now.

I agree- I think that stafford has a rifle arm and all the intangibles.

Flyboy
01-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Mark Sanchez looked SEXY today.

princefielder28
01-01-2009, 11:56 PM
I have been a big critic of Sanchez in the past but he put on a great display of ability today.

San Diego Chicken
01-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Sanchez was fantastic all season. He has a live arm and excellent feet, and he shows the leadership and fire that it takes to win in the NFL. I don't know why anyone would take Bradford over him as a pro prospect, but there are a million things about the draft that I will never understand.

The only knocks on Sanchez I can see are his height, he looks to be about 6'2'', and his critical mistakes/turnovers in crunch time (@ Oregon State this past year, @ Oregon in 07)

skiinginNJ
01-02-2009, 12:52 AM
sanchez looked legit, he has a solid arm, good mobility and footwork, enough size, and the ability to run a pro style offense.

the last touchdown pass he had was a big league throw, on the run a good 20-30 yards down the field (though his guy was wide open) right on the money.

he doesnt have stafford's arm (few do) but i think thats what separates stafford from the rest of the pack.

Cigaro
01-02-2009, 12:54 AM
Kenny McKinley. He's tucked away far into the reaches of the draft, but he was the only Gamecock to have a good day today.

BamaFalcon59
01-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Mardy Gilyard, the Cincinnatti wide receiver, is listed as a senior, but he is not on this site's rankings.

He is a great receiver. Best one I think Virginia Tech. has played against this season, including Darius Heyward Bay and Hakeem Nicks.

Some of the best feet I have ever seen from a college receiver. On a touchdown grab, falling down on the sideline with both feet on the edge, nearly catching a ball that seemed uncatchable, always minding his feet.

And he gets open too. For a guy who is the top receiver on that team, he got open quite a bit on a great defense.

He is also one of the top kickoff return men in the nation.

Very impressed with Gilyard.

And you have to love this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNyB3IkKd7Q

Here is his player page...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=169405

The Orange Bowl stats have not been added in to the totals.

mpt117
01-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Mardy Gilyard, the Cincinnatti wide receiver, is listed as a senior, but he is not on this site's rankings.

He is a great receiver. Best one I think Virginia Tech. has played against this season, including Darius Heyward Bay and Hakeem Nicks.

Some of the best feet I have ever seen from a college receiver. On a touchdown grab, falling down on the sideline with both feet on the edge, nearly catching a ball that seemed uncatchable, always minding his feet.

And he gets open too. For a guy who is the top receiver on that team, he got open quite a bit on a great defense.

Yeah man, Gilyard needs to be on the rankings on this site. He is a real WR, has good hands, and he seems to run decent routes, too. I think he will get drafted and right now he is underrated.

Zyro_1014
01-02-2009, 01:38 AM
Sanchez was sick of hearing all the talk about Stafford and Bradford and wanted to shut everyone up lol.

HellonEarth84
01-02-2009, 02:45 AM
I only watched a few parts of the VTech/Cinci game but Kam Chancellor looked good from what I saw. Right now he's probably a 2nd rounder.

He should stay in school. He could be a top 20 pick next year.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-02-2009, 08:59 AM
I only watched a few parts of the VTech/Cinci game but Kam Chancellor looked good from what I saw. Right now he's probably a 2nd rounder.

He should stay in school. He could be a top 20 pick next year.

Love Chancellor he should stay in school and be a first rounder next year. BTW I remember someone before mentioning Anthony Scarano as mid-late round sleeper, I think his play yesterday and even in the 8 or 9 games I've seen from PSU this season show why he won't sniff an NFL roster.

hannah73
01-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Huge game from Sanchez.

OT: who is that chick in your posts? She's amazing.

skinzzfan25
01-02-2009, 09:59 AM
BJ Raji was allllll over the place in the BC game.

Defiantly rose in my book as a top DT/NT prospect.

DiG
01-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Only one mention of the beast that is Shonn Greene! What a stud. I'm still not sure yet how I feel about Shonn in the NFL but he beasted yesterday.

thenewfeature06
01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
scirotto left his feet on that toucdown pass to D.Williams because he got beat off the line..poor coverage

draftguru151
01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty sure Gilyard is a redshirt junior.

thenewfeature06
01-02-2009, 10:08 AM

Larry121283
01-02-2009, 10:30 AM

Very good looking wide receiver...but he is a junior. Definitely a good player.

Was at the OB last night and I thought he was very talented. Also like what I saw from the Bearcat LT, Jeff Lickenbach, IIRC is his name. Thought he had nice feet and body work. Canfield was also pretty good, just not special.

For all of the talk about Connor Barwin, I thought the best defensive front seven player they had was Ryan Manalac. All over the field and running down the football. Not exactly a great player, but I like guys who are always around the ball and always hustling. Barwin, I like. But when he had a bigger guy on him, he had a tough time shedding. I do think he is quite quick and he never stops. Knows how to use his hands though.

On VT, love Macho Harris, I think he is a better prospect than Brandon Flowers was last year. More athletic.

Also, I like what I see from Greg Boone. Not really fast or athletic, but a man-child to take down. His athleticism might keep him from being a pro TE, but I can only guess he has upside as a blocking TE or lineman.

keylime_5
01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Mike Mickens was real good on Cincy last night from what I heard.

the decider13
01-02-2009, 10:52 AM
One think I think is bad about mays is him not wrapping up. He has crazy speed and delivers the big hit, but his hits are always with his shoulder.

I haven't watched mays nearly as much as some of you, but can any SC fans tell me if they noticed this as well? Cause I think it could hurt him at the NFL level.

BamaFalcon59
01-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Very good looking wide receiver...but he is a junior. Definitely a good player.

Was at the OB last night and I thought he was very talented. Also like what I saw from the Bearcat LT, Jeff Lickenbach, IIRC is his name. Thought he had nice feet and body work. Canfield was also pretty good, just not special.

For all of the talk about Connor Barwin, I thought the best defensive front seven player they had was Ryan Manalac. All over the field and running down the football. Not exactly a great player, but I like guys who are always around the ball and always hustling. Barwin, I like. But when he had a bigger guy on him, he had a tough time shedding. I do think he is quite quick and he never stops. Knows how to use his hands though.

On VT, love Macho Harris, I think he is a better prospect than Brandon Flowers was last year. More athletic.

He may be a better prospect. Flowers was superior in college, but Harris is no slouch. Harris is also taller and probably will run a faster 40. He has a great shuttle, too.

Also, I like what I see from Greg Boone. Not really fast or athletic, but a man-child to take down. His athleticism might keep him from being a pro TE, but I can only guess he has upside as a blocking TE or lineman.

Boone may not appear athletic due to his size, but he is. He runs like a 4.7 at 280+ pounds. We have lined him up at wide receiver, quarterback, tight end, and runningback this season. Very good player. Underused, though.

For what it's worth, he played quarterback and safety in high school. At like over 260 pounds. Haha.

Responses in bold.

BamaFalcon59
01-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Not really. We were very efficient on offense, and on our first passing play Mickens got burnt by Danny Coale, a redshirt freshman wide receiver.

It should have been a touchdown (he had about ten yards of seperation), but Coale slid when he caught it for some reason.

PMoney18
01-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Matt Stafford made a good impression by rallying his team to a victory with a strong second half performance.

Brent
01-02-2009, 12:21 PM
I didnt realize how fast Taylor Mays was on the field. I thought he was slower. Clay Matthews was all over the field, too.

OT: who is that chick in your posts? She's amazing.
Allison Stokke

Flyboy
01-02-2009, 12:25 PM
From what I saw of Mays, I see him fittin' very nicely at #14..

Larry121283
01-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Responses in bold.

I can see the athleticism in Boone, but man, is he slow on the field. He just kind of lumbers.

He has like...Jason Peters athleticism. For his size, definitely a real athlete. But athletic for a tight end...didn't see it.

Still think he is a legit beast though.

As for splitting him out wide...did it a lot last night, but was never thrown to. Always designed runs. Noticed that when VaTech played Miami. Split him out, always a designed run.

Larry121283
01-02-2009, 01:01 PM

Was unimpressed with Cincy's DBs.

WRs got open a lot, especially on deep vertical routes. Also, for guys like D. Smith, who is a bigger corner, he wasn't very physical.

Got good technique though.

BamaFalcon59
01-02-2009, 01:30 PM
I can see the athleticism in Boone, but man, is he slow on the field. He just kind of lumbers.

He has like...Jason Peters athleticism. For his size, definitely a real athlete. But athletic for a tight end...didn't see it.

Still think he is a legit beast though.

As for splitting him out wide...did it a lot last night, but was never thrown to. Always designed runs. Noticed that when VaTech played Miami. Split him out, always a designed run.

Eh, our offensive coordinator is predictable.

But watch, I think it was the Duke game, when Boone gets the ball and has space. He's fast for his size.

I think he ends up at tight end. And I think he will prove it next year.

Also, there is also the possibility that he drops into the 270 range. 6'3" 270 is still a big tight end.

Hokie's#1
01-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Not really. We were very efficient on offense, and on our first passing play Mickens got burnt by Danny Coale, a redshirt freshman wide receiver.

It should have been a touchdown (he had about ten yards of seperation), but Coale slid when he caught it for some reason.

That's what I was gonna say. I'm in Florida right now and I went to the game and he was almost non existent. I like him as a prospect and all but I don't know who told that guy he had a good game.

Race for the Heisman
01-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Marcus McClinton looked pretty solid in the glimpses I got of the game today.

Zyro_1014
01-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Philly will try to trade up and get him :)

Stay away from Taylor

bernbabybern820
01-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Does anyone have any idea how Claay Matthews is in coverage? I only see him rushing the passer in the "elephant" position.

Zyro_1014
01-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Does anyone have any idea how Claay Matthews is in coverage? I only see him rushing the passer in the "elephant" position.

well he hasnt had to do much in coverage because his role has always been as a rush backer or a defensive end.

jballa838
01-02-2009, 10:40 PM
id say andre smith. . .

Zyro_1014
01-02-2009, 10:42 PM
id say andre smith. . .

definately, tonight showed how valuable he is to that line.

Bengals78
01-02-2009, 10:43 PM
id say andre smith. . .

He proved just how valuable and great he really is out there at LT. The rock of the offense.

SaintsMan
01-03-2009, 12:13 AM

I think Mays goes Top 10, but if he falls, the Broncos will take him at 12.

Staubach12
01-03-2009, 12:20 AM
BJ Raji was allllll over the place in the BC game.

Defiantly rose in my book as a top DT/NT prospect.

I was there. He was a monster.

SaintsMan
01-03-2009, 12:38 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him teamed with Sedrick Ellis.