PDA

View Full Version : Drew Willy - QB Buffalo

TimD
01-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Scott, you have him ranked as your 13th QB, between Daniels and Teel respectively. I guess you'll have his bio out after the International Bowl tomorrow night, but I was wondering what your thoughts on him are before he plays. I don't want everyone judging him on just tomorrow's performance. I think he has a great chance to be a starter in the league in a few years as a game manager, safe option. He has improved from basically a normal college QB to now a pro prospect with the help of Turner Gill. (He is from North Jersey so that'd why I'm interested in him.) Thanks

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20090102/SPORTS0833/901020349

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1101/ncf_a_willy_200.jpg

princefielder28
01-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Buffalo and leader Drew Willy have been a great story this season, but Willy's game doesn't translate to big time success at the next level. I think he has the abilities to be a backup and #2 guy, who can step in on emergencies, but if he's lining up under center for an extended period of time, then your team is going to struggle.

giantsfan
01-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Drew is the shiz, just a straight baller. He's got an NFL arm with a good release and good athleticism. He's a smart guy and has done well to avoid big mistakes, but he really isn't very special which is why there's doubts he could ever excel as an NFL starter.

gramage
02-19-2009, 12:02 AM
I was going to add a new thread asking about Willy but I'll just try and revive this one. I think he's got a higher ceiling then the opinions I've been reading. A guy who elevated his program as much as Willy did, whose production improved that much, and has good physical tools, strikes me as someone who may turn into a starter once he adapts to the talent level and complexity of the pro game. And as a 5th-7th round pick as he's projected he seems like the ideal developmental pick.

What am I missing?

Beans
02-19-2009, 05:47 AM
(He is from North Jersey so that'd why I'm interested in him.)

morris county represent

Dr_X
02-20-2009, 08:30 AM
I was going to add a new thread asking about Willy but I'll just try and revive this one. I think he's got a higher ceiling then the opinions I've been reading. A guy who elevated his program as much as Willy did, whose production improved that much, and has good physical tools, strikes me as someone who may turn into a starter once he adapts to the talent level and complexity of the pro game. And as a 5th-7th round pick as he's projected he seems like the ideal developmental pick.

What am I missing?

2 things i see. his arm strength is not ideal. his downfield passes seem to hang in the air quite a while. and of course smalltime program so doesn't see top competition all that often. usually, if you come from a smaller program, they look at you thanks to rocket arms or some great physical attribute. i couldn't tell you how "pro-style" the offense is at UB even though i've seen it, but small program + average size/arm = late round prospect.

espfootball92
02-20-2009, 08:33 PM
2 things i see. his arm strength is not ideal. his downfield passes seem to hang in the air quite a while. and of course smalltime program so doesn't see top competition all that often. usually, if you come from a smaller program, they look at you thanks to rocket arms or some great physical attribute. i couldn't tell you how "pro-style" the offense is at UB even though i've seen it, but small program + average size/arm = late round prospect.

Before you downgrade UB's level of competition in the MAC, lets keep in mind Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich, and Ben Roethlisberger.

Granted, Willy is nowhere near as highly touted, but MAC defenses are a lot tougher than people give them credit for, and prepared those three guys pretty well.