PDA

View Full Version : Brian Johnson

DcmRulz
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
What do you guys think about the Utah QB? He is short (6'1), and I haven't seen so much of his games, as I live in the east coast, but from what I have seen, he looked pretty good, like a solid mid rounder with decent potential.

What do you guys think?

BBIB
01-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I've seen him play twice both times I came away impressed

First engineering a game winning drive vs one of the best defenses in the nation vs TCU and now this game.

Have no clue what his stock is like.

I think he should at least make a roster

01-02-2009, 11:04 PM
I think his stock lies somewhere in the rounds 4-6. He should get drafted, imo.

sbh15
01-02-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm not wowed by him, but I've been impressed by his ability to make some of the throws that he makes. Size will be a killer, however.

01-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm not wowed by him, but I've been impressed by his ability to make some of the throws that he makes. Size will be a killer, however.

Yeah, I can see someone seriously taking a flier on him late though. I can't help but see a Tyler Thigpen comparison here as well. That's obviously best -case scenario.

Brent
01-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Someone is going to get a good QB without using a high pick with him.

dabears10
01-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I think the thing that makes him stick out seems to be his leadership. He has those intangibles that you love, if he didn't have those he doesn't get drafted. He is a 5-7 flier.

JaxJag_1
01-02-2009, 11:34 PM
I would love us to take a flier on him, we will be targeting a young developmental QB and we could get a guy like Brian Johnson later. I like him a lot because of those intagibles the most.

SuperKevin
01-02-2009, 11:39 PM
He has a pretty serious history of injuries that he'll have to shake. He's definately good enough to be an NFL QB though

Menardo75
01-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Size and system in the end will kill him.

Brent
01-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Size and system in the end will kill him.
System how? It's a lot of passing but it's all normal routes. It isnt like some spread option BS that you see at other schools.

01-03-2009, 12:25 AM
System how? It's a lot of passing but it's all normal routes. It isnt like some spread option BS that you see at other schools.

He's probably still thinking of the Utes prior system.

CashmoneyDrew
01-03-2009, 11:42 AM
It'd be very beneficial to him obviously if he measured in at a legit 6'1 at the combine and/or his pro-day.

porter20
01-03-2009, 11:56 AM
He reminds me of Chris Leak. Draft potential is about the same. Might get a boost with fantastic performance at BCS game, similar to Leak.

I agree about size and system hurting him.

Iamcanadian
01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
He has pro guts and intellegence but he doesn't have a pro arm. He won't be drafted IMO. His arm strength looks to be way below average. Put his brain and toughness in any QB with a pro arm and that QB would be special, unfortunately Johnson doesn't have the arm for the next level.

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 11:13 PM
He has pro guts and intellegence but he doesn't have a pro arm. He won't be drafted IMO. His arm strength looks to be way below average. Put his brain and toughness in any QB with a pro arm and that QB would be special, unfortunately Johnson doesn't have the arm for the next level.

you're selling him short (puns are awesome) his arm is decent and certainly no worse than Chad Pennington's, he doesn't have a gun, but he's got a quick release and decent arm.

AtariBigby
01-03-2009, 11:33 PM
How does his size compare to Drew Brees?
Just asking...

Also, who thinks he'll have as successful of an NFL career as LARGER and fellow Utah QB Alex Smith has, the former #1 overall pick? Sometimes, size is overrated, and sometimes, so is draft position.

Iamcanadian
01-04-2009, 09:27 PM
you're selling him short (puns are awesome) his arm is decent and certainly no worse than Chad Pennington's, he doesn't have a gun, but he's got a quick release and decent arm.

I just don't see it. I watched the game and came away with the distinct impression that his long ball is extremely weak. It looked like he struggled to throw a deep pass. IMO, his arm is a lot worse than Pennington's and that's not good.

neko4
01-04-2009, 10:36 PM
I would love us to take a flier on him, we will be targeting a young developmental QB and we could get a guy like Brian Johnson later. I like him a lot because of those intagibles the most.
After Matt Ryans successful first season, im suprised scouts arent jumping on guys with great intangibles like Brian Johnson, but there's obviously a reason(s) for that(size, injuries, arm)

Unbiased
01-04-2009, 10:59 PM

I'm with ya. With Johnson's intelligence, he should be able to pick things up quickly behind Garrard.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-05-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm with ya. With Johnson's intelligence, he should be able to pick things up quickly behind Garrard.

So you guys pretty much want Garrard v2?

JLaw45
01-05-2009, 06:49 AM

I agree. The questions are obviously there but he is worth at least a late round pick IMO.

Unbiased
01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
So you guys pretty much want Garrard v2?

Yep. I'd take Garrard of '07 any day.

ElectricEye
01-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Eh, he's interesting. He's not that bad of a passer and he has some mobility...but he's probably about 6 feet even and has had some injury issues. Utah doesn't exactly have the best history of producing quarterbacks that orientate well to an NFL offense.

SuperKevin
01-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Eh, he's interesting. He's not that bad of a passer and he has some mobility...but he's probably about 6 feet even and has had some injury issues. Utah doesn't exactly have the best history of producing quarterbacks that orientate well to an NFL offense.

Actually since Urban Meyer left they sent Brett Ratliff to the pros who will probably end up being the Jets starting Qb next year

ElectricEye
01-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Actually since Urban Meyer left they sent Brett Ratliff to the pros who will probably end up being the Jets starting Qb next year

We'll see how that one works out for them.

Ratliff fits the profile a bit better as an NFL quarterback than Johnson does anyway, even though Johnson was a lot better than Ratliff. I would still be very cautious. The offense isn't as unconducive to NFL success as it used to be, but still.