PDA

View Full Version : Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

PACKmanN
01-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Does anyone think he will come out? and if so where do you guys see him going.

CashmoneyDrew
01-03-2009, 11:44 AM
I've read some articles that say he's seriously considering declaring. If he did declare I could see anywhere from late 1st to mid 2nd depending on post season workouts.

PACKmanN
01-03-2009, 11:46 AM
If he had a solid workout do you still think he will be available with the Packers second round pick?

Scott Wright
01-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I don't think he will come out but I LOVE this guy.

He has a very good chance to be my #1 senior OT going into next season.

BTW, I wrote about him in my blog back on December 8th.

the decider13
01-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Scott beat me to it...

I don't think he will leave, he is the best player on the line IMO. He gets over shadowed a lot, but he will move to LT next year if he stays and I think he can prove to be elite.

If he does come out this year, some team will get a steal where ever they draft him. And OU would lose all 5 starters on the line.

PACKmanN
01-03-2009, 01:15 PM
I think he could leave if Bradford and Greshman leave, plus the seniors. The offense would have a decrease in production. Plus the whole rookie cap thing can also take into affect.

jbeans187
01-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Scott beat me to it...

I don't think he will leave, he is the best player on the line IMO. He gets over shadowed a lot, but he will move to LT next year if he stays and I think he can prove to be elite.

If he does come out this year, some team will get a steal where ever they draft him. And OU would lose all 5 starters on the line.

He has the ability to be a LT but hasnt had a chance to show it yet. Should stay another year to show off what he has. But the team wont be nearly as good if Bradford and/or Gresham leaves

D-Unit
01-03-2009, 01:46 PM
If NFL scouts rate him as highly as Scott does, then I do think he comes out.

He could be available for the Packers, but is he really a good fit in the ZBS?

AtariBigby
01-03-2009, 11:42 PM
If NFL scouts rate him as highly as Scott does, then I do think he comes out.

He could be available for the Packers, but is he really a good fit in the ZBS?

Good question.
A) he SHOULD come out
B) he probably can play the ZBS better than most of the current Packer OL guys can

JohnCandy
01-03-2009, 11:48 PM
I would like a serious scouting report form anyone who watches some serious OU football.

I think the Raiders need to go OT in the 1st round and I am not in love with anyone of the top 3 big guys. I think with Smith [Size], Oher [Technique], Monroe [Strength] the Raider should trade down and look at the 2nd tier of OT.

toonsterwu
01-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I think there's a chance he comes out, and I think there's a chance he challenges for the mid-first. For all the attention Robinson/Loadholt got, Williams is their best OL guy, and he has quality LT potential. He's that good ... and in somewhat a rarity, for an Oklahoma kid that good, he's sorta gone under the radar.

the decider13
01-04-2009, 10:42 AM
I think there's a chance he comes out, and I think there's a chance he challenges for the mid-first. For all the attention Robinson/Loadholt got, Williams is their best OL guy, and he has quality LT potential. He's that good ... and in somewhat a rarity, for an Oklahoma kid that good, he's sorta gone under the radar.

That's sorta what I said...so I definately agree with you.

Menardo75
01-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I watch every OU game and I can honestly tell you he is the best of all of them. Not really a glaring weakness in his game. If he came out this year I think he could be as high as three in the OT rankings.

Smokey Joe
01-04-2009, 07:24 PM
He should really stay another year and show he can play LT. He could then be a top 5, IMO. However, if Bradford leaves (which I currently have my doubts about), I think he'd leave for sure.

I think if he declares this year, he could potentially get ahead of Jason Smith for the no. 2 spot. That's how good he is. However, he'd likely be the be the 3rd or 4th OT taken because he was never able to show how well he could play LT and a team would be taking him as a RT with the potential of LT.

Scott Wright
01-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Sounds like Williams is seriously considering going pro.

He'd be a Day One pick this year but I think it would be a mistake because he could be a Top 10-15 pick in 2010.

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 10:00 AM
If he declares this year, I'll be sad for the team that needs an OT in 2010.

illmatic74
01-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Sounds like Williams is seriously considering going pro.

He'd be a Day One pick this year but I think it would be a mistake because he could be a Top 10-15 pick in 2010.Sam Bradford would definitely leave then.

AtariBigby
01-07-2009, 10:29 AM
If he can get big cash now, and go to a team that wants him and pays him, and will give him a year being paid to learn the job, then by all means he should come out and not play for free in Norman for another year and risk someone rolling up on his knee.
That can happen on any play at his position, and why not risk it while under a multi-million dollar contract?

He's got skillz that scouts will love and he'll probably move up the charts between now and D-day. Take the money.

D-Unit
01-07-2009, 12:53 PM
He's gonna be a Dallas Cowboy. Lock it up.

Babylon
01-07-2009, 01:32 PM
He's gonna be a Dallas Cowboy. Lock it up.

Pretty unlikely where they're picking.

Hines
01-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Could he fall to the Steelers in the 2nd or 3rd?

lance uppercut
01-07-2009, 01:40 PM

yep, someone with a top-10 pick is going to bypass OT in the first and would likely snag him early 2nd, if he even lasted that long. I'm thinking lions, rams, chefs, raiders, bengals, seahawks, someone.

question is, would he rank ahead of Britton? Okung if he opted?

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Could he fall to the Steelers in the 2nd or 3rd?

Not likely. He will likely cause guys like Beatty, Kropog, and Meredith to fall though

Babylon
01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
yep, someone with a top-10 pick is going to bypass OT in the first and would likely snag him early 2nd, if he even lasted that long. I'm thinking lions, rams, chefs, raiders, bengals, seahawks, someone.

question is, would he rank ahead of Britton? Okung if he opted?

Britton and Okung are LT guys and Williams has played on the right side so i would say they have an advantage.

I share your theory on passing on a OT early and grabbing one later in round 1(Detroit) or early round 2. (Lions, Rams, Bengals, Seahawks).

My thought has always been you treat a draft as part of a 2 or 3 year plan (especially bad teams), this year is the year to get your OL guy and not worry about next year possibly being a weak year.

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Britton and Okung are LT guys and Williams has played on the right side so i would say they have an advantage.

I share your theory on passing on a OT early and grabbing one later in round 1(Detroit) or early round 2. (Lions, Rams, Bengals, Seahawks).

My thought has always been you treat a draft as part of a 2 or 3 year plan (especially bad teams), this year is the year to get your OL guy and not worry about next year possibly being a weak year.

Trent Williams is a solid LT prospect who only played on the right side because they committed to playing Loadholt on the left side. Williams would have slid over to LT his senior year and looked as natural as one can look there.

Babylon
01-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Trent Williams is a solid LT prospect who only played on the right side because they committed to playing Loadholt on the left side. Williams would have slid over to LT his senior year and looked as natural as one can look there.

I don't have any concerns that he couldnt move to LT. This just adds to the best depth at that position i've ever seen. Quality depth too. As you pointed out this will really weaken that position for next year, better get one now.

lance uppercut
01-07-2009, 02:07 PM

true, but it'd be tough to place him at LT to begin his career, having never really played it. my guess, he'd be a rookie RT starter and then slide over to LT a few seasons in, ala Marvel Smith.

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 02:19 PM
true, but it'd be tough to place him at LT to begin his career, having never really played it. my guess, he'd be a rookie RT starter and then slide over to LT a few seasons in, ala Marvel Smith.

Branden Albert played guard most of his career and he got drafted to play OT and played LT as a rookie. If he can play LT they'll find out in camp and preseason.

D-Unit
01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
You never know these things. People are starting to hype this guy up, but when final grades and analysis are out, Trent could very well be a mid 2nd round pick. Especially when you consider the lack of experience at the LT position.

giantsfan
01-07-2009, 02:50 PM
If he makes it to the New Orleans' second rounder and we didn't grab a guy like Eben Britton I'd be so giddy about getting williams. He's going to be a LT in this league with good coaching, and a really good one at that.

Menardo75
01-07-2009, 02:54 PM
This guy has franchise LT potential. The best OU lineman since Jamal Brown.

D-Unit
01-07-2009, 03:20 PM
If he makes it to the New Orleans' second rounder and we didn't grab a guy like Eben Britton I'd be so giddy about getting williams. He's going to be a LT in this league with good coaching, and a really good one at that.
..you'd be giddy and then the Giants would pass on him for a DE or LB. LOL.

D-Unit
01-07-2009, 03:21 PM
This guy has franchise LT potential. The best OU lineman since Jamal Brown.
Explain in depth to me what parts of his game that you see that you see helping him to be the "franchise LT" that you say.

...or are you just talking?

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Explain in depth to me what parts of his game that you see that you see helping him to be the "franchise LT" that you say.

He's probably just talking. When I see him play I see a very well rounded OT with little glaring weaknesses. Guys like that to me seem only natural to put on the left side. I don't know if he's a "franchise" LT but he's certainly more than capable of being a starter at LT in the NFL.

With that said I'd expect him right now to be a fringe 1st rounder in the same group with Eben Britton, William Beatty, and Ciron Black if he declares.

Menardo75
01-07-2009, 04:31 PM

He actually has better footwork than Jamal Brown in pass pro, and just all around a lot better technique. He is coming along nicley in the running game, but isn't the down hill overwelming guy that you idealy would want as your RT.

Scott Wright
01-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Everyone is talking about Percy Harvin and Gerald McCoy but did anybody watch Trent Williams tonight? Every time I see him play I am more impressed. He isn't flashy but he is just extremely effective. There is no doubt in my mind he's a better player and prospect than either Phil Loadholt or Duke Robinson.

As I mentioned earlier it sounds like there is a good chance he'll come out and I think he will be an amazing value pick for someone late in round one. He would most likely enter my rankings as the #5 offensive tackle prospect in this draft.

Babylon
01-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Everyone is talking about Percy Harvin and Gerald McCoy but did anybody watch Trent Williams tonight? Every time I see him play I am more impressed. He isn't flashy but he is just extremely effective. There is no doubt in my mind he's a better player and prospect than either Phil Loadholt or Duke Robinson.

As I mentioned earlier it sounds like there is a good chance he'll come out and I think he will be an amazing value pick for someone late in round one. He would most likely enter my rankings as the #5 offensive tackle prospect in this draft.

They ran a lot better to the right side that's for sure.

Menardo75
01-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Of the OU lineman Williams looked the best. I thought Duke Robinson actually looked like the weak link tonight. Loadholt didn't look too bad.

Smokey Joe
01-09-2009, 08:09 AM
I think Robinson was injured. He came out for a couple series, and you could just tell that when he got back to the line waiting for the play call, he was out of it. He did have a much better second half then first.

Big_Pete
01-09-2009, 08:22 AM
If Williams does declare will that also encourage Bradford and Gresham to declare? Oklahoma would be losing their entire starting offensive line

Iamcanadian
01-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Likely a middle of the pack 1st rounder if he declares which I think he will. He will impress at the combine and could even move ahead of Oher on a lot of team's boards.

Menardo75
01-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Likely a middle of the pack 1st rounder if he declares which I think he will. He will impress at the combine and could even move ahead of Oher on a lot of team's boards.

Possibly even higher.

Smokey Joe
01-09-2009, 03:43 PM
If Williams does declare will that also encourage Bradford and Gresham to declare? Oklahoma would be losing their entire starting offensive line
I think they are basically all contingent on each other. If one or more says they are going to go pro, I think the rest will follow.

In the end, I think we'll see all of Sam Bradford, Jermaine Gresham, Gerald McCoy, and Trent Williams declare. DeMarcus Granger, DeMarco Murray, and Auston English are possibilities, but I see them stay trying to raise their stock after injuries.

Menardo75
01-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I think they are basically all contingent on each other. If one or more says they are going to go pro, I think the rest will follow.

In the end, I think we'll see all of Sam Bradford, Jermaine Gresham, Gerald McCoy, and Trent Williams declare. DeMarcus Granger, DeMarco Murray, and Auston English are possibilities, but I see them stay trying to raise their stock after injuries.

English and Beal should be two very high 3-4 OLB prospects.

JohnCandy
01-10-2009, 06:54 PM
I think if Williams declares he does not make it past the Vikings or Eagles who need an OT and he may go as high as Washington at 13.

He looked very solid in pass and run and has a nice frame. I also thought Phil Loadholt played well and looked like a good 2nd round pick.