Andre Smith
Eugene Monroe
Michael Oher
Eben Britton
Jason Smith
Ciron Black
Russell Okung
Brent Williams?

As a group i think its top notch but i don't see the sure fire guy in the group like a Walter Jones, Jonathon Ogden or Joe Thomas. If that is the case i think this is a position that could slide a bit, the thinking being that you can get a top guy at the beginning of round 2. Teams picking later in round 1 like the Eagles, Lions, Steelers and Redskins could take advantage.

And the beat goes on.

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 12:53 PM
If i'm not considering scheme I rank them
Andre Smith
Jason Smith
Eugene Monroe
Michael Oher
Eben Britton

that said I think Britton in a pass heavy offense or ZBS will be better than monroe or oher in any scheme. Britton also happens to be the only one I could actually see sliding out of the top 20.

Black is more of a second round pick as I don't see a franchise LT, I just see an above average starter at the position. I also doubt Okung comes out with how strong this class is.

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 12:55 PM
And Andre Smith is on Joe Thomas' level, I actually might like him a little more since he's so much more beastly in the running game and both have somewhat short arms. I wouldn't put Smith on the Pace or Ogden level but I think he's on par with Joe Thomas.

Babylon
01-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Andre Smith
Jason Smith
Eugene Monroe
Michael Oher
Eben Britton

that said I think Britton in a pass heavy offense or ZBS will be better than monroe or oher in any scheme. Britton also happens to be the only one I could actually see sliding out of the top 20.

Black is more of a second round pick as I don't see a franchise LT, I just see an above average starter at the position. I also doubt Okung comes out with how strong this class is.

I agree on Britton,he might even get to Detroit or St Louis at the top of round 2. I do think in 3 or 4 years he'll be one of the top 3 out of this group. The guy has great feet and balance, needs to work on run game but LTs get paid for pass blocking.

coordinator0
01-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Andre Smith
Jason Smith
Eugene Monroe
Michael Oher
Eben Britton

What about Black at RT? I don't know enough about him to decide if he could make the transition to the right side. My team could e looking for a RT early on and I was wondering if he was the guy...

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I agree on Britton,he might even get to Detroit or St Louis at the top of round 2. I do think in 3 or 4 years he'll be one of the top 3 out of this group. The guy has great feet and balance, needs to work on run game but LTs get paid for pass blocking.

I'd love to see Eben Britton backing up David Diehl next year if Brandon Spikes, BJ Raji, DHB, William Moore and Greg Hardy aren't available. If Britt rips up the combine he could even be in that mix.

AkiliSmith
01-03-2009, 01:20 PM
I don't think Britton would make it past Pittsburgh in the first round.

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't think Britton would make it past Pittsburgh in the first round.

I think they'll look for a more physical run blocking line, Britton's really a pure pass blocker at this point. I think they'd be one of the teams that actually likes Black more.

Babylon
01-03-2009, 01:30 PM
I think they'll look for a more physical run blocking line, Britton's really a pure pass blocker at this point. I think they'd be one of the teams that actually likes Black more.

Do you think Big Ben might like a pure pass blocker at some point?

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 01:30 PM
What about Black at RT? I don't know enough about him to decide if he could make the transition to the right side. My team could e looking for a RT early on and I was wondering if he was the guy...

I think he could do it. Black reminds me of David Diehl and I think he's just a nice well rounded tackle who'll move people around in the running game and will be able to handle the average pass rushers. if you're looking for a pure RT I like Loadholt more, but if you want a well round tackle who could be a good LT and very good RT Black's a much better pick.

AkiliSmith
01-03-2009, 01:40 PM
I think he could do it. Black reminds me of David Diehl and I think he's just a nice well rounded tackle who'll move people around in the running game and will be able to handle the average pass rushers. if you're looking for a pure RT I like Loadholt more, but if you want a well round tackle who could be a good LT and very good RT Black's a much better pick.
Has Black declared yet or is this just speculation that he will? I was under the impression that he was not going to declare.

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Do you think Big Ben might like a pure pass blocker at some point?

Big Ben's already suffered enough brain damage playing behind that line that he doesn't care.

That team should be running the ball like we do and their oline is just too pathetic for them to do it. If they can re-create their running game and get ben to get rid of the ball quicker they'll give up a lot less sacks. If they get a shot at Duke RObinson or Alex Mack I think they'd ass on Britton, as I've said I think they're one of the teams that would prefer Black because he could come in and have an impact as a run blocker right away and be a solid pass blocker.

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Has Black declared yet or is this just speculation that he will? I was under the impression that he was not going to declare.

I'm actually not sure, I've been somewhat out of the loop since I went home at the end of the semester.

toonsterwu
01-04-2009, 11:07 AM
This isn't how I prefer them, but a stab at how I think they might rank right now

1. Andre Smith
2. Jason Smith
3. Eugene Monroe
4. Trent Williams
5. Michael Oher

sbh15
01-04-2009, 11:41 AM
I would rank them like this:

1. Andre Smith
2. Michael Oher
3. Eugene Monroe
4. Jason Smith

I wouldn't say there are many guys on the same levels as the ones above, and the gap between each of them is very slim. Jason Smith might be my favorite because of his ridiculous upside.

keylime_5
01-04-2009, 12:03 PM
They go
1-Andre Smith
2a-Jason Smith
2b-Eugene Monroe
4-Michael Oher
5-Eben Britton

J. Smith is such a better pass blocker than anyone in this draft I wouldn't be surprised to see him solidify that #2 spot. Oher could drop behind Britton but I don't think he will.

keylime_5
01-04-2009, 12:04 PM
This isn't how I prefer them, but a stab at how I think they might rank right now

1. Andre Smith
2. Jason Smith
3. Eugene Monroe
4. Trent Williams
5. Michael Oher

that should be about right if Williams comes out. My rankings I posted only included guys who declared already though.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 06:17 PM

1. Andre Smith
2. Jason Smith
3. Eugene Monroe
4. Trent Williams
5. Michael Oher

Not a Britton fan? I like Trent Williams' upside a lot and if he plays LT next year at OU he could be a top 10 pick, but I think I'd give Oher and maybe even Britton the nod over him since they shown they can guard the QB's blindside and won't have to re-adjust their technique as much to adjust to playing on the leftside.

Menardo75
01-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Jason Smith is the best fit for the zone scheme, that's why I have him to the Packers in my mock. If Trent Williams comes out it would not suprise me to see him in the top three OT rankings. Don't let the media fool you Williams is the best offensive lineman on that team.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Jason Smith is the best fit for the zone scheme, that's why I have him to the Packers in my mock. If Trent Williams comes out it would not suprise me to see him in the top three OT rankings. Don't let the media fool you Williams is the best offensive lineman on that team.

I doubt Jason Smith falls to the Packers.

Menardo75
01-04-2009, 07:57 PM
I doubt Jason Smith falls to the Packers.

At nine? Why wouldn't he.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 08:21 PM
At nine? Why wouldn't he.

IMO he's the second best tackle in this draft after Andre Smith. I doubt Oakland passes on him if he's available at their pick.

Menardo75
01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
IMO he's the second best tackle in this draft after Andre Smith. I doubt Oakland passes on him if he's available at their pick.

I think that will more depend on if Cable is coach or not.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I think that will more depend on if Cable is coach or not.

Jason Smith could be a HOF playing in Cable's ZBS.