PDA

View Full Version : Donald Brown is going ballistic.

Matthew Jones
01-03-2009, 12:55 PM
The running back with the best vision in the FBS already has 16 carries for 207 rushing yards and a touchdown at halftime vs. Buffalo. That's 12.9 yards per carry. On top of that, his team hasn't completed a pass yet. He's now the NCAA's leading rusher. I know he said he's not going to declare, but if he did, where would you rank him? I think he could be a late first, early second round pick. He has good burst, excellent vision, good speed, good hands, and some shiftiness. He can also break tackles as well, and has a nice stiff arm.

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 01:00 PM
The Bulls just knew that they'd rape uconn if they didn't let Brown beast it.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-03-2009, 01:00 PM
It depends what he wants to do. He can come back go down as an all time big east great RB, can go for over 2,000 rushing yards 2 straight years, but I think with guys like him his value diminishes if he returns another season because of with all the carries he will get people will label that as a major downside ala Ray Rice or Mike Hart. He has incredible vision and is a very balanced runner but he lacks bulk. I'd take him in the late 2nd-late 3rd range to be a great back to pair with a power runner.

etk
01-03-2009, 01:06 PM
His elusiveness/shiftiness and stiffarm combination are what make him good. I think he's a mix between Ray Rice and Michael Turner. There's no question he will be a good inside runner in the NFL. Like Ray Rice, he's very good at running patiently to let the outside lane emerge. This game is basically a re-run of Rutgers last year.

Jonny
01-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Rutgers could pass it. Brown is a nice back, not really as much of an inside runner usually.

BTW, the LT for UConn, Beatty, looks really good.

etk
01-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Teel was on fire last year. I was just talking about Brown/Rice. They're doing the same things. Both have excellent vision on off tackle runs.

iowatreat54
01-03-2009, 01:11 PM
He has accomplished a lot and with a crappy OL, but I would like to see him against an actual defense. He was terrible against WV and USF, pretty much the only defenses he played this year.

Race for the Heisman
01-03-2009, 01:20 PM
I'd put him on the same level as Moreno. Late first-late second for me.

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Rutgers could pass it. Brown is a nice back, not really as much of an inside runner usually.

BTW, the LT for UConn, Beatty, looks really good.

He's been running very well between the tackles against us. Granted our Dline is letting their oline move our guys around, but Brown's showing great patience in letting holes develop and hitting them hard and quick.

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 01:23 PM
I'd put him on the same level as Moreno. Late first-late second for me.

Moreno's cuts are sharper, both have great vision and balance, but Moreno's shiftier and a better athlete.

etk
01-03-2009, 01:24 PM
The backup just went ballistic. I have a hard time believing UCONN has a "bad line".

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 01:25 PM
The backup just went ballistic. I have a hard time believing UCONN has a "bad line".

Our dline is doing terrible, they're blowing us off the line of scrimmage whenever, wherever.

etk
01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Our dline is doing terrible, they're blowing us off the line of scrimmage whenever, wherever.

Definitely. UCONN's big guys are down the field shoving 2-3 guys at a time. Just controlling the line.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-03-2009, 01:36 PM

Granted he has fresh legs going against a Defense which has been absolutely worn down. But Brown went ballistic against defenses like North Carolina, Pitt, Cincinnati, UVA, etc., who aren't terrible defenses.

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Granted he has fresh legs going against a Defense which has been absolutely worn down. But Brown went ballistic against defenses like North Carolina, Pitt, Cincinnati, UVA, etc., who aren't terrible defenses.

Add to that that our top two tacklers have come out of the game. This one's going to be on Drew to win it.

SuperMcGee
01-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Add to that that our top two tacklers have come out of the game. This one's going to be on Drew to win it.

Not to mention our arguably best lineman, Mike Thompson, was already out to begin with. Winters, Newton, and Thompson out is not good for us one bit. Davonte Shannon is everywhere and is tackling solidly like nobody else can for us. Two great years under his belt, he's arguably the best player on the team (him or Roosevelt). He's a guy to watch and will be a very good prospect in two years.

SuperKevin
01-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Who said UConn has a bad line. Beatty is a 2nd round prospect at LT

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Not to mention our arguably best lineman, Mike Thompson, was already out to begin with. Winters, Newton, and Thompson out is not good for us one bit. Davonte Shannon is everywhere and is tackling solidly like nobody else can for us. Two great years under his belt, he's arguably the best player on the team (him or Roosevelt). He's a guy to watch and will be a very good prospect in two years.

Drew did well to drive us down the field, but that INT was just painful.

JaxJag_1
01-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Who's your pick.....Shonn Greene or Donald Brown?

AkiliSmith
01-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Brown. He's a lot quicker and has more upside.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-03-2009, 02:34 PM
I got to go Brown, Greene is too one dimensional. I think Brown can be a workhorse back, he can be a change of pace back, he can be a 3rd down back. He won't ever be a star but I think Brown can be a contributing back in the NFL for 8+ years.

SuperMcGee
01-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Drew did well to drive us down the field, but that INT was just painful.

That's not even on Drew, though. Same thing happened in OT against Western Michigan. Pass bounces off the receiver, gets picked off, and that's the game. Still not a great game for Willy.

Wish they ran the offense like that before there was 3 minutes left in the game. And then the clock management wasn't great. With only special teams keepnig them in it, that seriously felt like a Bills game.

Scott Wright
01-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Brown is good but I was actually more impressed with Buffalo's running back, James Starks.

SuperKevin
01-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Brown is good but I was actually more impressed with Buffalo's running back, James Starks.

Starks is a beast. Kiper says he's a first round pick when he declares. Granted Kiper is known to overhype people early in the process so he can be the first to be on the bandwagon

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 06:37 PM

Depends on what I already have at RB and on the Oline. If i've got a power oline with a shifty change of pace I go with Shon Greene to be my power workhorse. I like Donald Brown a little more as a prospect but it's close.

That's not even on Drew, though. Same thing happened in OT against Western Michigan. Pass bounces off the receiver, gets picked off, and that's the game. Still not a great game for Willy.

Wish they ran the offense like that before there was 3 minutes left in the game. And then the clock management wasn't great. With only special teams keepnig them in it, that seriously felt like a Bills game.

I'm not saying that was on Drew, I'm just saying it really hurt since I started celebrating the TD already and then saw the defender running out of the endzone. I was certain Roosevelt had it.

It did feel like a bills game, the D didn't give many big plays but they were playing very passively, letting Uconn just drive down the field time after time.

Starks has been our best pro prospect since he got here. I wouldn't peg him as a first rounder yet, but I do expect him to be a first day pick. He's a very talented runner with good measureables.

Cigaro
01-03-2009, 06:38 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/richard_deitsch/05/07/tomlinson_qa/p1_tomlinson.jpg

JaxJag_1
01-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Donald Brown has declared

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/01/04/sports/FBC-International-Bowl.php

CashmoneyDrew
01-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Donald Brown has declared

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/01/04/sports/FBC-International-Bowl.php

There's a declaration thread at the top of this forum. Check it out!

JaxJag_1
01-03-2009, 07:22 PM
I've seen it

toonsterwu
01-04-2009, 11:06 AM
I think Brown and Greene, as of now (until Wells/Moreno let their decisions be known), are the top two backs and it'll come down to system. I imagine, though, a lot more teams may prefer Brown to Greene.

Jonny
01-04-2009, 12:20 PM
He has accomplished a lot and with a crappy OL, but I would like to see him against an actual defense. He was terrible against WV and USF, pretty much the only defenses he played this year.

How much UConn have you seen? They may have the worst passing game in the country. Teams don't have to worry about 9 or 10 in the box.

I don't think he's as good as Moreno or McCoy, who I think are top 10-15 guys. But he's a solid 2nd round guy.

iowatreat54
01-04-2009, 01:40 PM
How much UConn have you seen? They may have the worst passing game in the country. Teams don't have to worry about 9 or 10 in the box.

I don't think he's as good as Moreno or McCoy, who I think are top 10-15 guys. But he's a solid 2nd round guy.

Again, what defenses has he played? Shonn Greene faced 7-8 in the box constantly all year and was consistently productive. Iowa does have a better passing game, but they didn't set the world on fire, with Greene usually seeing just as many run stoppers in the box as Brown did. I just commented on their OL being not good based on what I read throughout the season, but Iowa did have a significantly better OL. Still, I would like to see Brown constantly against good D.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Again, what defenses has he played? Shonn Greene faced 7-8 in the box constantly all year and was consistently productive. Iowa does have a better passing game, but they didn't set the world on fire, with Greene usually seeing just as many run stoppers in the box as Brown did. I just commented on their OL being not good based on what I read throughout the season, but Iowa did have a significantly better OL. Still, I would like to see Brown constantly against good D.

Umm, Uconn's oline is pretty beastly, especially for the big east.

SuperKevin
01-04-2009, 06:23 PM
he has about the same draft value as Kevin Smith had last year. With that said he's likely a mid 2nd round pick in the weaker RB draft