PDA

View Full Version : Noel Devine- Can He Be the Next Darren Sproles?

BBIB
01-03-2009, 10:41 PM
People thought Sproles couldn't be a feature back. He proved it and will probably prove it when he goes to a team to be the main guy.

Devine will probably carry a heavier load next year at WVU without Pat WHite.

Can he be the next Sproles?

Bruce Banner
01-03-2009, 10:43 PM
No. He will never be a "feature", meaning that he doesn't have to/shouldn't split significant carries with another back, back.

Then again, neither is Sproles.

TheBuffaloBills
01-03-2009, 10:45 PM
He can be the next Sproles, but he wont be a feature back. He would have to really pack on the pounds if he really wanted to be a feature back.

BBIB
01-03-2009, 10:56 PM
No. He will never be a "feature", meaning that he doesn't have to/shouldn't split significant carries with another back, back.

Then again, neither is Sproles.

How could you watch tonight's game and say Sproles can't be a feature back?

Sproles weighs as much as Warrick Dunn

illmatic74
01-03-2009, 10:58 PM

Sproles weighs as much as Warrick DunnHe destroys the Colts every year.

Bruce Banner
01-03-2009, 11:03 PM

When he takes a 14-16 game beating without splitting a significant amount of carries behind an average offensive line and is able to maintain good production, I will consider him a feature back.

CashmoneyDrew
01-03-2009, 11:03 PM

Because one game doesn't make him a feature back. Feature backs take 250+ carries.

Monomach
01-03-2009, 11:04 PM
People thought Sproles couldn't be a feature back. He proved it and will probably prove it when he goes to a team to be the main guy.

Devine will probably carry a heavier load next year at WVU without Pat WHite.

When did Sproles prove he's a feature back? Feature backs have to carry more than 60 times a year.

kwilk103
01-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Because one game doesn't make him a feature back. Feature backs take 250+ carries.

had 206 carries---15.8/game
35 receptions---2.7/game

illmatic74
01-03-2009, 11:09 PM
35 receptions---2.7/gameWe were talking about Sproles. The amount of carries a player takes in college doesn't prove they can be a feauture back in the NFL.

CashmoneyDrew
01-03-2009, 11:10 PM
35 receptions---2.7/game

I was talking about Darren Sproles who has 106 total regular season carries in his career.

giantsfan
01-03-2009, 11:11 PM
He could be the next Ahmad Bradshaw, a true feature back...

ThatThereCarGoin200mph
01-03-2009, 11:17 PM
devine will be better than sproles

TheBuffaloBills
01-03-2009, 11:21 PM
devine will be better than sproles

Nice post

Anyways, I noticed Sproles was stuffed a lot at the line or even behind it. He is not any every down back. He should be in a few plays to spark the Offense.

Sniper
01-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Nice post

Anyways, I noticed Sproles was stuffed a lot at the line or even behind it. He is not any every down back. He should be in a few plays to spark the Offense.

Usually when you're stuffed behind the LOS, that's not the RB's fault.

AtariBigby
01-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Is Michael Turner capable of being a feature back?
Was he capable last year before he had the opportunity to be one?

Warrick Dunn was said to be too small to be a featured back. All he needed was the chance.

Same with Priest Holmes who was undrafted, then stuck behind Jamal Lewis in Baltimore, was picked up by the Chiefs, and turned into.... a feature RB.

I'll take Sproles on my team anytime. You define them however you want. But nobody here is psychic that I am aware of. If you are, PM me tomorrow's scores please before BoDog takes the lines off the board tomorrow. :D

Bruce Banner
01-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Exceptions to the rule.

illmatic74
01-03-2009, 11:44 PM

Warrick Dunn was said to be too small to be a featured back. All he needed was the chance.

Same with Priest Holmes who was undrafted, then stuck behind Jamal Lewis in Baltimore, was picked up by the Chiefs, and turned into.... a feature RB.

I'll take Sproles on my team anytime. You define them however you want. But nobody here is psychic that I am aware of. If you are, PM me tomorrow's scores please before BoDog takes the lines off the board tomorrow. :DNo one said it wasn't possible. It is just ridiculous to say after one performance someone is a gurantee feature back. If you could make a good judgement of a player's career on one performance Timmy Smith and Rob Johnson would be Hall of Fame canidates.

CashmoneyDrew
01-03-2009, 11:50 PM

I'll take Sproles on my team anytime. You define them however you want. But nobody here is psychic that I am aware of. If you are, PM me tomorrow's scores please before BoDog takes the lines off the board tomorrow. :D

Priest Holmes and Michael Turner had way better size than Sproles though. Dunn is the rare exception to the rule.

AtariBigby
01-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Priest Holmes and Michael Turner had way better size than Sproles though. Dunn is the rare exception to the rule.

Holmes wasn't even drafted because he was "too small, just a 3rd down prospect".

Again, there are always exceptions.

Sproles carried the load in college, same conference as Priest and Cedric Benson.

But the Chargers would be wise to take another RB in the mid-rounds in April because RBs are going down like flies these days in the NFL (see Denver).

McSealson1
01-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Same with Priest Holmes who was undrafted, then stuck behind Jamal Lewis in Baltimore

out of curiosity, didn't holmes withdraw from the draft after the third round because no one hade picked him yet?

and a big part of sproles effectiveness is that his limited carries allow him to have fresh legs when the defense is dying. and i personally think that he makes too much contact when he runs to survive as a feature back that small. Warrick Dunn always managed to avoid taking hits on every down. Something that Westbrook needs to improve on.

BamaFalcon59
01-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Devine is one of the most talented backs in the nation. Not only does he have the speed and quickness of a Sproles, but his balance is the best in the nation.

Bruce Banner
01-04-2009, 12:15 AM
out of curiosity, didn't holmes withdraw from the draft after the third round because no one hade picked him yet?

Why did he? So he could go anywhere as a FA?

CashmoneyDrew
01-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Idk how big he was once he entered the league, but when he was with the Chiefs he was 5'9, 210ish.

ThatThereCarGoin200mph
01-04-2009, 12:17 AM
sproles vs devine there is no comparison in the end devine is much more talented stronger faster thicker devine has tree trunk legs not MJD legs but not far off

Bruce Banner
01-04-2009, 12:19 AM
yeahuh

http://www.wvmetronews.com/images/pics3/uconn10112407.jpg

kwilk103
01-04-2009, 12:28 AM
5'8 180 lbs

4.3 40
40 in vert
475 lb squat
405 lb bench

the bench is legit; know a couple of athletes that saw him do it and saw reynaud squat 700

PACKmanN
01-04-2009, 12:28 AM

Priest was running behind a top 10 o-line in NFL history.

Bruce Banner
01-04-2009, 12:43 AM
5'8 180 lbs

4.3 40
40 in vert
475 lb squat
405 lb bench

the bench is legit; know a couple of athletes that saw him do it and saw reynaud squat 700

Don't care, to be honest.

Still 5'8 (generous) 180 (probably generous)

McSealson1
01-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Why did he? So he could go anywhere as a FA?

yeah since he wasn't going to get the money of a first day pick he at least wanted to choose where he played.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 12:53 AM
yeah since he wasn't going to get the money of a first day pick he at least wanted to choose where he played.

Good thing he picked Baltimore, he was just a beast sitting on the sidelines watching Jamal lewis do his thang, that was before someone put their thang in Jamal's thang.

kwilk103
01-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Don't care, to be honest.

Still 5'8 (generous) 180 (probably generous)

hes a legit 5'8

Pokeys
01-04-2009, 05:44 AM

Maybe if he grows an inch.

Bruce Banner
01-04-2009, 05:49 AM
hes a legit 5'8

I believe you.

kaisertown
01-04-2009, 07:06 AM

Who didn't think Michael Turner was capable of being a feature back?

Warrick Dunn is absolutely the exception. Has there been any other back in the recent history of the NFL who weighs less than 190 pounds and has gotten 200 plus carries in back to back seasons and performed even decently well?

Priest Holmes had 30+ pounds on Sproles. I don't see how Holmes is relevant when debating whether or not guys like Sproles or Devine can carry a full load in the NFL.

I would love to have Sproles too and I don't think saying he isn't a feature back is some kind of attack on him. There's this kid who lives on my street who is too young to have a drivers license, but has a better frame to absorb 250+ hits from NFL players than Sproles or Devine do.

On to Devine, I think he could certainly be the next Darren Sproles as a guy who can be a little more than a change of pace player and could have a Leon Washington type role as someone who can handle 100+ carries, 40+ catches and some returns as well. Anything more than that is probably pushing it effectiveness and health wise for 180 pound players who aren't named Warrick Dunn.

etk
01-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I think Dexter McCluster is more Sproles than Devine. Devine is actually a pretty powerful guy who can break tackles and stay on his feet.

EDIT: In response to the above post....you should've seen the threads last year in the NFL forum with guys saying how Turner was a career backup and overrated. "He's only good because he spells LT and runs on a beaten-down defense".

coordinator0
01-04-2009, 11:44 AM
I was thinking that Trindon Holiday might be more of a Sproles type of back than Devine is, but I highly doubt he will have the same type of power Sproles does. Then again, who ele does have that type of power at his size?

BBIB
01-04-2009, 07:14 PM

Dunn just got a freaking shot.

How the hell can you say a guy is not a feature back if he's never given a shot to prove one way or another?

It's based off nothing but assumption based on his size

Who didn't think Michael Turner was capable of being a feature back?

Wow talk about revisionist history. There were plenty of people saying that Michael Turner was a guy who ran behind an elite line and just ran on defenses that were tired because of LT.

What's next, you're going to tell me that people weren't high on Reggie Bush over Mario Williams.

SenorGato
01-04-2009, 07:21 PM
I think he can do it. Sproles ran with more power in college, but I think Devine can be a Sproles-esque player. Maybe he's more Leon Washington.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 07:26 PM
I think he can do it. Sproles ran with more power in college, but I think Devine can be a Sproles-esque player. Maybe he's more Leon Washington.

Did you not watch Sproles in college or something? Because he sure as hell wasn't a more powerful runner than Devine, MJD was, but not Sproles.

illmatic74
01-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Dunn just got a freaking shot.

How the hell can you say a guy is not a feature back if he's never given a shot to prove one way or another?

It's based off nothing but assumption based on his size

Wow talk about revisionist history. There were plenty of people saying that Michael Turner was a guy who ran behind an elite line and just ran on defenses that were tired because of LT.

What's next, you're going to tell me that people weren't high on Reggie Bush over Mario Williams.In Pro Football Prospectus 2008 said it best "for every Dunn, there are a dozen quick, tiny backs who are too small to cut it in the NFL."

BBIB
01-05-2009, 10:01 AM
In Pro Football Prospectus 2008 said it best "for every Dunn, there are a dozen quick, tiny backs who are too small to cut it in the NFL."

But how can one just assume that Sproles cannot make it if he's not given a shot?

illmatic74
01-05-2009, 10:05 AM
But how can one just assume that Sproles cannot make it if he's not given a shot?But you also can't assume a player can be an every down player based on a playoff performance.

SenorGato
01-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Did you not watch Sproles in college or something? Because he sure as hell wasn't a more powerful runner than Devine, MJD was, but not Sproles.

All the short RBs in recent years have the "power" question and all have been more powerful runners than given credit for in college.

Sproles was more powerful than given credit for in college, and since then he's gotten bigger and now isn't exactly a weak back.

Devine's perfectly capable of being a Darren Sproles is really all I'm trying to say.

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 11:36 AM
All the short RBs in recent years have the "power" question and all have been more powerful runners than given credit for in college.

Sproles was more powerful than given credit for in college, and since then he's gotten bigger and now isn't exactly a weak back.

Devine's perfectly capable of being a Darren Sproles is really all I'm trying to say.

I'll agree that most little runners lately have had under-rated power, but I still don't see how Sproles ran with more power than Devine and I loved watching Sproles beast in college.

ElectricEye
01-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Devine has a bit more pop than Sproles. He looks a lot more powerful as well due to his insane balance.

Yeah, I think Devine can be a Darren Sproles esque player. I think he has a bit more potential as well...but then again Sproles has a lot of untapped potential as well. Tough to say if Devine can be as good as Sproles when we don't really know how good Sproles can be yet.

SenorGato
01-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Devine has a bit more pop than Sproles. He looks a lot more powerful as well due to his insane balance.

Yeah, I think Devine can be a Darren Sproles esque player. I think he has a bit more potential as well...but then again Sproles has a lot of untapped potential as well. Tough to say if Devine can be as good as Sproles when we don't really know how good Sproles can be yet.

Exactly. Sproles-esque in that he's a shorter RB who'll make exciting plays and get bigger over time with NFL training.

LonghornsLegend
01-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Why does anyone still care if a guy is or can be a feature back? I think today's game has showed how valuable a guy can be that isn't a feature back anway.

I'd take Sproles every day of the week in the exact role he's in now, how hard is it to find or draft a bruising back to go with him? That's probably the easiest position to find, and if you have to draft a Tashard Choice or Tim Hightower in the middle rounds so be it, it's rare guys are giving out 250+ carries now and those RBBC have been wearing down defenses.

I don't need Sproles, or Devine to tote the rock 30 times a game the way Michael Turner does, I'd leave them in the role Sproles is in now, no reason to act like he's less effective because he's not on the field every single play.

ElectricEye
01-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Why does anyone still care if a guy is or can be a feature back? I think today's game has showed how valuable a guy can be that isn't a feature back anway.

I'd take Sproles every day of the week in the exact role he's in now, how hard is it to find or draft a bruising back to go with him? That's probably the easiest position to find, and if you have to draft a Tashard Choice or Tim Hightower in the middle rounds so be it, it's rare guys are giving out 250+ carries now and those RBBC have been wearing down defenses.

I don't need Sproles, or Devine to tote the rock 30 times a game the way Michael Turner does, I'd leave them in the role Sproles is in now, no reason to act like he's less effective because he's not on the field every single play.

Pretty much this.

Something to note about Devine vs Sproles is that Devine is already 180. If he does get that extra 5-10 pounds of muscle he'll be a whole ten pounds heavier than Sproles. Not sure he can though. He might already be maxed out size wise. Not that that's a bad thing with his workout numbers.

etk
01-05-2009, 01:12 PM

I was thinking of writing this, but I figured it would've diverted from the argument.

But thanks, I agree completely. Arguing over whether he can be a feature back....who cares? He can contribute, make plays and be effective. Players of Sproles' caliber are not a dime a dozen....power backs are.