PDA

View Full Version : Porter interested in SF or SD

16_SFfan_80
03-04-2007, 10:05 AM
http://www.kget.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=15601

Can you imagine if San Diego signs him?!!!

Phillips-Merriman-Porter...........

21ST
03-04-2007, 10:08 AM
http://www.kget.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=15601

Can you imagine if San Diego signs him?!!!

Phillips-Merriman-Porter...........

That would be sick if he went to the chargers

edge_V
03-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Porter plays OLB though, i don't think it would make sense to sign him in SD because they just locked up Phillips with a lot of money, and Merriman is...merriman. Joey Porter doesn't play ILB either.

draftguru151
03-04-2007, 10:15 AM
There is no reason for him to go to SD. That makes no sense.

moc182
03-04-2007, 10:17 AM
San Fran seems like an excellent fit. With all that cap room and the saturation of 34 olb's on the market they really need to come away with one to play opposite Man Law.

Chucky
03-04-2007, 10:21 AM
I think he should go to Baltimore, if he want to be on a winner and play the steelers twice a year, but i guess san fran makes sense

Finsfan79
He will be in miami :)

we have alot of cap room now after moving some contracts and cutting folks so I think he will be our "big move"

princefielder28
I see him going to SF due to the money they have there

16_SFfan_80
03-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Yah, recent reports say that the Niners are one of 7 teams to contact Joey....along with New England, the Jets, Baltimore, San Francisco, Dallas, Cleveland and Miami.

Seems like Joey is taking his sweet time.

KILLERSANTA
03-04-2007, 10:32 AM
ESPN Radio report... Cowboys pursuing OLB Joey Porter.

I'mAHustler
03-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Forgetting the Dolphins...

16_SFfan_80
03-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Forgetting the Dolphins...

He is a native of Bakersfield, CA. Said he wants to be close to home.

Hines
03-04-2007, 10:48 AM
actually in the sports illustrated article it said that he has played ilb before. i mean he is big enough

Ravens1991
03-04-2007, 10:52 AM
The Ravens will not get Porter unless they want a riot from the fans.

Plus we re-signed JJ to a 3 year 13 million dollar contract so there will be no need for Porter.

Craigo
03-04-2007, 11:04 AM
If the Niners get him, you can mark it down that they kicked some serious ass in free agency. Shored up their secondary and pass rushing problems. The two biggest holes on the team.

An impact DL at #11 and a WR in the second round, plus a boatload of picks in the mid rounds gives them a pretty decent team. NFC West favourites?!

Maybe I'm partial, but it's been too long since the glory days.

jth1331
03-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Porter is overrated IMO, he is going to be on the downside of his career and the best years are behind him. Plus, from what I hear some Steeler fans say, they are kinda glad to see him go, his holdout issues and how he was a liability in coverage.

TACKLE
03-04-2007, 11:19 AM
The 49ers have the makings of a good defence. Porter would be a great fit and would be a good combo with Manny Lawson. He also provides that pass rushing pressence they were lacking last year.

ChiFan24
03-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Porter is overrated IMO, he is going to be on the downside of his career and the best years are behind him. Plus, from what I hear some Steeler fans say, they are kinda glad to see him go, his holdout issues and how he was a liability in coverage.

Yes, the guy is ridiclously overrated. Even during the super bowl season, he wasn't as good as everyone made him out to be. He's a decent short-term fix for a team that needs a 3-4 OLB.

CC.SD
03-04-2007, 12:20 PM
He will never be a Charger we just resigned Shaun Phillips. I like him to San Fran though.

Larry
03-04-2007, 12:21 PM
Porter needs to come to 49ers because we're ready to take what's rightfully ours and that's the NFC West.

Hines
03-04-2007, 12:28 PM
hes also been gettin injured lately with his knees and hamstrings. thats wats slowin him down. he was a force when he didnt have to fight injuries

eaglesalltheway
03-04-2007, 12:30 PM
San Fran seems like the best fit as of now. He is a bit overrated, but you have to at least be pretty good to be overrated. I'd say he is a solid player who would help their defense, but is by no means a superstar.

yourfavestoner
03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Yes, the guy is ridiclously overrated. Even during the super bowl season, he wasn't as good as everyone made him out to be. He's a decent short-term fix for a team that needs a 3-4 OLB.

I really just want to emphasize this part. Niner fans: please, please, please don't get sucked into the free agency trap.

With as much money as NFL teams have, there is a reason these guys are out on the market.

yourfavestoner
03-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Double post. How do you delete posts on the new board?

Vikes99ej
03-04-2007, 12:55 PM
He would do the best in San Francisco. Whoever made this thread should say whether it is Jerry or Joey Porter in the title.

49ersfan_87
03-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I really just want to emphasize this part. Niner fans: please, please, please don't get sucked into the free agency trap.

With as much money as NFL teams have, there is a reason these guys are out on the market.

I pretty much expext him for only 2 years. But we need a pass rusher bad.

Signing porter would allow us the opportunity to draft a young OLB in the midrounds to groom. The 49ers have about 4 picks in rounds 3-4, so we could do some moving up if a good OLB falls in R2 as well

Im also not expecting a whole lot. We still need a good draft as well.

sdpads24
03-04-2007, 12:58 PM
SD is should be out of the equation right now.

jetsfan3
03-04-2007, 01:02 PM
What about the Jets? :(

Stash
03-04-2007, 03:07 PM
SF would be a good short term fit as they seem to have no problem overpaying for overrated players this offseason. The best thing that could come out of this situation is that he would be able to teach Lawson a thing or two about getting to the QB.

sup3rk1ng
03-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Update: 03.04.07 — The North County Times (San Diego) is reporting that according to sources who spoke with Porter on Friday. The Bakersfield native expects to visit with San Francisco in coming days.

Every FA that has visited so far has been signed so if he leaves SF w/o contract...we're probably not going to sign him.

OhioState
03-04-2007, 06:07 PM
porter would be great for the forty niners, he would shore up their linebackers and replace julian peterson who they really missed this year. HE would be a great addition for them

sup3rk1ng
03-04-2007, 06:07 PM

I don't think we're really falling in to any FA trap. Nolan just got us out of salary cap hell, theres no way he's going to put us back in. We've had the worst defense in the nfl 2 years in a row, obviously we needed an overhaul. If we sign porter, he's definitely not expected to be a long term fix. Our linebackers are really inexperienced, especially in the 3-4...a guy like porter would help guys like Manny Lawson and Parys Harlason assimilate to the 3-4.

16_SFfan_80
03-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Update: 03.04.07 — The North County Times (San Diego) is reporting that according to sources who spoke with Porter on Friday. The Bakersfield native expects to visit with San Francisco in coming days.

Source: http://49ersnews.wordpress.com/

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f163/keepchillin2002/55porter.jpg

slurve
03-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Steeler fans could say plenty of things about Porter, but if they said he was a liability in coverage, they would be dead wrong. That is still Porter's strong suit, I can picture him in SF for some reason(better than a AFC North rival).

NFLBOY
03-05-2007, 05:13 PM
Steeler fans could say plenty of things about Porter, but if they said he was a liability in coverage, they would be dead wrong. That is still Porter's strong suit, I can picture him in SF for some reason(better than a AFC North rival). Most Steelers fans don't want to see Porter go. A couple on this site maybe, but the hardcore fans in Steeler nation along with the Steelers players are not happy about this at all. And yes he is good in coverage, hec he is good in all aspects.

steelernation77
03-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Most Steelers fans don't want to see Porter go. A couple on this site maybe, but the hardcore fans in Steeler nation along with the Steelers players are not happy about this at all. And yes he is good in coverage, hec he is good in all aspects.

Just because you don't want to see Porter go, don't talk bad about the rest of the Steeler fans here. Some of us realize that smart organizations know when to let players go. There's a reason the Steelers are one of the best franchises in the NFL. Porter is still good in coverage and solid against the run but he is not the pass rusher he once was.

49ersfan_87
03-05-2007, 06:57 PM
SF doesnt seem too interested in Joey Porter.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=515325

"Adam Schefter says Banta-Cain is in town, any truth? Thanks and keep up the great work, Matt. http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Response: That is correct. Tully Banta-Cain is meeting with the 49ers today (Monday). He is scheduled to visit the Steelers tomorrow, so the key will be for the 49ers to make sure he doesn't get on the plane. I'll report it again because people don't believe me: The 49ers are not interested in Joey Porter. --Matt M"

A response from Matt Maicco to a comment. Hes usually pretty reliable.

49erfaithful
03-05-2007, 07:14 PM
SF would be a good short term fit as they seem to have no problem overpaying for overrated players this offseason. The best thing that could come out of this situation is that he would be able to teach Lawson a thing or two about getting to the QB.

how is joey porter overrated?

terribletowel39
03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Just because you don't want to see Porter go, don't talk bad about the rest of the Steeler fans here. Some of us realize that smart organizations know when to let players go. There's a reason the Steelers are one of the best franchises in the NFL. Porter is still good in coverage and solid against the run but he is not the pass rusher he once was.

i think we are all a little sad to see him go, but he isn't the player that he used to be and everyone trust the rooney's and company to make the right decision. but yes agree with you he was last yr our best LB in coverage and that is saying something with farrior back there. he is still great in coverage and will take up a blocker and sometimes beat him. but like i said he just isn't the same as he used to be.

rainbeaukid2
03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
i don't want him for the niners

HoopsDemon12
03-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Wow i would love to see him in San Fran...He could teach Manny a thing or too about how to get to the qb and take his head off...as well as how to get in that pretty boys head haha

draftguru151
03-05-2007, 09:09 PM
JOEY PORTER TALK
Adam Schefter believes that the Dolphins are the frontrunner to land Joey Porter. Porter has met with Miami officials and remains in constant contact with GM Randy Mueller. He will visit Cincinnati, though, on Wednesday. But according to Schefter, the only way Porter won't end up in aqua and orange is if the Bengals offer an INSANE amount of money that the Dolphins can't match.

I'm really not sure how I feel about him coming to Miami.

PalmerToCJ
03-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I was about to say he'll probably visit Cincinnati but I don't want him. He wouldn't improve our SLB situation, he's older, he'd want to be overpaid.

Pretty much all of us Bengals fans agree we just want his experience and the ability for him to bring an attitude to our defense.

It seems every year the big name LB FA's get mentioned/visit Cincy but we never pay them, it's worked out for the best so far.