PDA

View Full Version : Gerald McCoy: Who has watched this guy play?

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Many mocks have the Packers taking this guy from Oklahoma State. A solid DT from the same school as DT Kevin Williams came from.

Just the fact that a lot of mocks have us taking him pretty much means he's not on Ted Thompson's radar (anyone have us taking DT Justin Harrell in 07?).

But I'd like to hear anything about this guy from any of our Cowboy fans or anyone who's noticed this guy play..... I only paid attention to the Cowboys offense, but I did notice OK State's defense shut down Mizzouri in a surprise win. I wasn't looking for McCoy yet then.

Race for the Heisman
01-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Many mocks have the Packers taking this guy from Oklahoma State. A solid DT from the same school as DT Kevin Williams came from.

Just the fact that a lot of mocks have us taking him pretty much means he's not on Ted Thompson's radar (anyone have us taking DT Justin Harrell in 07?).

But I'd like to hear anything about this guy from any of our Cowboy fans or anyone who's noticed this guy play..... I only paid attention to the Cowboys offense, but I did notice OK State's defense shut down Mizzouri in a surprise win. I wasn't looking for McCoy yet then.

Oklahoma, actually. Most common comparison he gets is Tommie Harris, which you might be able to appreciate as someone who's team plays him twice a year.

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Oklahoma, actually. Most common comparison he gets is Tommie Harris, which you might be able to appreciate as someone who's team plays him twice a year.
You're right. When healthy, Tommie is a monster. I'll take a player like that for sure, or like Kevin Williams. Just not like our first round DR Harrell. What a waste. 2 years, talented team, nothing from him.

LonghornsLegend
01-04-2009, 01:12 AM
He's from Oklahoma, not OK State where Williams came from.

From what I saw he is very explosive/quick off the line, does remind you of the way Harris comes off the ball, and he's still very strong at the point of the attack, classic UT penatrator type and is probably the 2nd best DT Stoops has pulled in...Not as quick as Harris but a little bigger I believe, and judging from the success and impact Harris had it's easy to see why he's an attractive pick.

He also has a good motor which is what you like to see from your DT, and still has alot of upside to him as a player.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 01:18 AM
RS soph, is he even coming out?

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 01:39 AM

If he does I'm giving him the nod for the top DT on my board. Now I'd rather have Raji on the Gmen but only because we need a more NT type DT for our rotation.

LonghornsLegend
01-04-2009, 01:45 AM

A big NC game and he could, but he is contemplating and if people think he could go as early as Okoye I think he bolts.

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 01:53 AM
Thanks fellas.... someone has to slap me for thinking he was on OK State and not OU.

The Packers need help all over the DL. A guy with a high motor is essential though. I hope this kid does declare and cashes in on his talents. Don't play for "free" any longer than he has to when he can walk into multi-millions of dollars now.

Brooder
01-04-2009, 02:25 AM
I would take Peria Jerry any day of the week over Gerald McCoy.

OneToughGame
01-04-2009, 02:35 AM
I think McCoy should stay for one more year. I think he could be a first rounder now but I don't think it would hurt him to stay.

the decider13
01-04-2009, 03:08 AM
I've watched plenty of McCoy, and he is very good. I'd definately say the Harris comparison is on point. As far as OU D-lineman go, i actually prefer Demarcus Granger, but he is doubtful to declare since he has been injured most the season.

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 03:27 PM
If he's that good, and Granger is better (I though Granger was a thug, suspended?), then that OU defense should never have allowed Texas so many points.

keylime_5
01-04-2009, 03:32 PM
He's a 2nd round prospect at this point who could go in the first or even top 15 just based on potential. He has work to do before he becomes close to what Tommie Harris is/was. Oklahoma would have the best defensive line in the nation by far if McCocy and Granger were fully developed.

LonghornsLegend
01-04-2009, 03:59 PM
He's a 2nd round prospect at this point who could go in the first or even top 15 just based on potential.

Then that makes him a 1st round prospect...However you peg his potential I highly doubt you find anyone who sees him as anything other then a sure-fire 1st rounder at this point, there isn't one scenario where he could come out and slide that far.

keylime_5
01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
What I meant was he plays like a 2nd rounder or so, but will be a first rounder b/c of upside.

LonghornsLegend
01-04-2009, 04:56 PM
What I meant was he plays like a 2nd rounder or so, but will be a first rounder b/c of upside.

I can agree to an extent this year because he has played majority of the year hurt, but when healthy he plays like a sure-fire 1st round pick, he is a disrupting force that is hard to miss on the field.

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 05:12 PM
McCoy > Peria Jerry

Menardo75
01-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Honestly any of the three OU defensive tackles could be/ should be first round picks.

TACKLE
01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I've seen this guy play a couple times I came away really impressed and thought he was a Top 10 talent. He was totally dominant against Florida. One of the most impressive performances I've seen from a DT in a while. He was the first off the ball on almost every play, was very strong at the point of attack, was disruptive in the back field all game and he was effective rushing the passer as a DE. Not to mention an INT. I was also really impressed with his motor from the first snap to the last. At 6'4 285, he is very explosive and has great lateral movement. This guy is built to be a 3-4 DE. I'm very curious whether he declares or decides to stay in school.

foozball
01-08-2009, 11:09 PM
he seemed to disappear in the 2nd half. he was everywhere in the 1st half though

AtariBigby
01-08-2009, 11:11 PM
McCoy was a stud tonight despite them losing because they only scored 14 points.

That guy was easy to find and he'd be the Packers best DL right away. I hope he comes out.
And you guys say DeMarcus Granger is better? Jeezuz. Where is Granger? Hurt, or in trouble with the law?

If he's hurt, then Ted Thompson will like him as that apparently sold Harrell to him.
If he's in trouble with the law, cross him off from GentleTed's list.

McCoy on the other hand, I see why some of you guys compared him to Tommie Harris. This guy has quickness.

Dam8610
01-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I've seen this guy play a couple times I came away really impressed and thought he was a Top 10 talent. He was totally dominant against Florida. One of the most impressive performances I've seen from a DT in a while. He was the first off the ball on almost every play, was very strong at the point of attack, was disruptive in the back field all game and he was effective rushing the passer as a DE. Not to mention an INT. I was also really impressed with his motor from the first snap to the last. At 6'4 285, he is very explosive and has great lateral movement. This guy is built to be a Tampa 2 UT. I'm very curious whether he declares or decides to stay in school.

Fixed it for you.

Vikes99ej
01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I saw flashes of Kevin Williams in him tonight when he blew up some of those plays.

Babylon
01-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Top 10 or higher.

Dam8610
01-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Top 10 or higher.

Ugh, not again.

Geo
01-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Well, I don't know about calling him a lock for the Top 10, but I would definitely feel comfortable penciling him in as a Top 15 pick and the first DT off the board.

I think he declares.

TACKLE
01-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Dam, UT in a Tampa 2 or DE in a 3-4. Perfect fits in both which is great for him because so many teams run those two defenses.

Vikes99ej
01-08-2009, 11:29 PM
He is going to be a true junior next year; he can't come out this year.

Babylon
01-08-2009, 11:31 PM
He is going to be a true junior next year; he can't come out this year.

Believe he was a RS soph this year.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-08-2009, 11:31 PM
he seemed to disappear in the 2nd half. he was everywhere in the 1st half though

Most def. Wonder what happened.

TACKLE
01-08-2009, 11:32 PM
He's a RS Soph. He can come out.

Link: http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mccoy_gerald00.html (scroll down a little)

mqtirishfan
01-08-2009, 11:34 PM
I really hope the Packers can pick him up at 9.

Vikes99ej
01-08-2009, 11:34 PM
My bad, I didn't scroll down enough. I coulda sworn he was a true.

JaxJag_1
01-08-2009, 11:41 PM
G McCoy is a mix of Kevin Williams and Tommie Harris, he's the complete package as a DT

Paranoidmoonduck
01-08-2009, 11:42 PM
If he comes out, he's almost certainly the first defensive tackle off the table.

keylime_5
01-08-2009, 11:46 PM
He certainly looked the best tonight that I've ever seen him play. He looks like he could play DE in a 3-4.

Menardo75
01-08-2009, 11:58 PM
If he comes out he would be the top defensive tackle. I doubt he comes out though and I still think he would be number one next year.

CashmoneyDrew
01-09-2009, 12:00 AM
If he comes out he would be the top defensive tackle. I doubt he comes out though and I still think he would be number one next year.

He'll have some very stiff competition for #1 DT next year.

Scott Wright
01-09-2009, 12:02 AM
I've been touting this guy for quite a while (See my November 19 blog entry: (http://www.draftcountdown.com/blog/archive/November-2008.php).

He is either the #1 or #2 defensive tackle in this draft if he comes out.

For what it's worth I have been hearing rumors that there is a real good chance he'll bolt.

Menardo75
01-09-2009, 12:04 AM
He'll have some very stiff competition for #1 DT next year.

He does I still think in the end he would wind up being number one. He is a game changer.

Race for the Heisman
01-09-2009, 12:08 AM
I'd rather have Raji. I think he has Haynesworth potential.

Menardo75
01-09-2009, 12:13 AM
I'd rather have Raji. I think he has Haynesworth potential.

Between a guy having Haynesworth potential and a guy with Kevin Williams potential I would be happy with either of them.

Texas Homer
01-09-2009, 01:07 AM
I think he bolts as well. He made himself some money tonight by the way he played.

Chris
01-09-2009, 02:17 AM
Denver needs this kid.

Hines
01-09-2009, 02:52 AM
Denver needs this kid.

Denver needs a lot of players to become competitive IMO.

Anyways, he really, really impressed me last night. Great talent and always in the backfield. If he somehow fell to Pittsburgh, I want him on our team.

What would be a good comparison for him?

Paranoidmoonduck
01-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Physically, he reminds me a lot of Tommy Kelly. Both guys are built to be adept at either the 5-tech or at the 3-tech (with the broad chest and the long arms). McCoy uses his hands better and gets off the line faster, but they both have the ability to drive through their man if they get the leverage advantage off the line.

tjsunstein
01-09-2009, 03:08 AM
Top 10 or higher.

How exactly do you become higher than Top 10? ;)

marshfield
01-09-2009, 07:55 AM

They double teamed on every play in the second half. He still made some nice plays if you watched him, not necessarily tackles, but pushing the blockers around to force stops. Nobody makes many tackles when double teamed.

Smokey Joe
01-09-2009, 08:02 AM
I'll go with the cheap comparison... A taller but less awesome, but awesome in his own right, Tommie Harris.

ToldLikeItIs
01-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Is he 285 or 310?

Wonderful prospect, but I am really wondering, he is a very tapered player either way, and I like his future, seems like a very good kid.

wonderbredd24
01-09-2009, 08:23 AM
I think he'd be similar to Richard Seymour if he went to the 3-4

wicket
01-09-2009, 08:42 AM

Being drafted top -10???

Iamcanadian
01-09-2009, 08:45 AM
There was no doubt that this guy was talented even before last night's game. When your a RS Soph and your defensive player of the year in the Big 12, your obviously extremely talented with top 10 potential. I hope he declares, then he can fight it out with Raji as the top DT in the draft.
I doubt he goes top 10 unless he completely blows GM's away at the combine. His inexperience probably means he won't reach his potential for a couple of seasons and that may influence teams to take Raji over him.

ToldLikeItIs
01-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I like Raji much more as a DT, for obvious reasons, he's built like a fire hydrant with a motor, but McCoy would def. be my #1 3-4 DE prospect.

ToldLikeItIs
01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
The Richard Seymour comparison is poor, Seymour is 6'6 320.

McCoy as a 3-4 DE would be similar to Kyle Vanden Bosch, in my opinion.

AtariBigby
01-09-2009, 09:38 AM
G McCoy is a mix of Kevin Williams and Tommie Harris, he's the complete package as a DT
Yeah I didn't know a thing about him a week ago, now I'm in love with the guy.
Has he declared yet?
If so, he's gotta go to Green Bay. The Vikings and Bears have those 2 great DTs. We need one.

Larry121283
01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Stud.

10char

ElectricEye
01-09-2009, 09:56 AM
He's a first rounder if he comes out. Very athletic kid. Best DT in whatever class he decides to come out in, most likely. Isn't SUPER productive, but Oklahoma has a lot of talent at DT and he's had some injuries.

Number 10
01-09-2009, 09:57 AM
I see a lot of Richard Seymour in him.

ElectricEye
01-09-2009, 10:24 AM
I see a lot of Richard Seymour in him.

Seymour has 3 inches and a good fifteen pounds on him. Not the same type of player.

Number 10
01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Seymour has 3 inches and a good fifteen pounds on him. Not the same type of player.

But the way they get off the ball and can rush off the edge despite being 300 pounds is similar. I think McCoy's best role is a 3-4 DE in a system similar to New England's.

ElectricEye
01-09-2009, 10:35 AM
But the way they get off the ball and can rush off the edge despite being 300 pounds is similar. I think McCoy's best role is a 3-4 DE in a system similar to New England's.

Eh, I think he's pretty at home in a 4-3. He could probably play end in a 3-4 and do it pretty well, but it would kind of waste his abilities as a penetrator a little bit. Seymour is absolutely elite at what he does, people tend to forget that. Most guys can't get high sack totals and still be a force against the run with the gap responsibilities of a 3-4 end. I just don't see McCoy as that type of player. He would be much better playing in a 4-3 and being asked to penetrate.

Number 10
01-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Eh, I think he's pretty at home in a 4-3. He could probably play end in a 3-4 and do it pretty well, but it would kind of waste his abilities as a penetrator a little bit. Seymour is absolutely elite at what he does, people tend to forget that. Most guys can't get high sack totals and still be a force against the run with the gap responsibilities of a 3-4 end. I just don't see McCoy as that type of player. He would be much better playing in a 4-3 and being asked to penetrate.

He played over 60% of the defensive snaps on the either head up or outside the offensive tackle last night. He looked very comfortable in that role and a creative defensive scheme could easily shift him inside on certain packages and he could just be a terror for an entire offensive line.

Number 10
01-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Seymour played around 295 his last year at Georgia.

asmitty45
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM
After that performance last night, i hope he does come out. He's a very talented player, someone would be lucky to get him in the mid first

ElectricEye
01-09-2009, 10:55 AM
He played over 60% of the defensive snaps on the either head up or outside the offensive tackle last night. He looked very comfortable in that role and a creative defensive scheme could easily shift him inside on certain packages and he could just be a terror for an entire offensive line.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly that you can move him around quite a bit and he's capable of playing up on the tackle, but I think you're wasting a bit if you play him mostly in a 3-4. Doesn't strike me as that type of guy. Might just be me though.

wonderbredd24
01-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly that you can move him around quite a bit and he's capable of playing up on the tackle, but I think you're wasting a bit if you play him mostly in a 3-4. Doesn't strike me as that type of guy. Might just be me though.

I disagree that he'd be losing anything by playing end in the 3-4. In fact, I think it lets him do more with his unique physical ability. Not only is McCoy explosive, he's pretty fast. At the end position, he's more able to use that speed to make plays.

ElectricEye
01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I disagree that he'd be losing anything by playing end in the 3-4. In fact, I think it lets him do more with his unique physical ability. Not only is McCoy explosive, he's pretty fast. At the end position, he's more able to use that speed to make plays.

I'm not sure he would be able to use his speed better playing in the 3-4. Much better served playing UT and penetrating in the vein of Harris/Williams as mentioned before. I think he's much more like those guys than a Richard Seymour/Tyson Jackson type.

Number 10
01-09-2009, 11:19 AM

I understand your point as well. Like I said before, I think he would be best in a scheme that is similar to the Patriots. Move your ends inside and out of the tackle and use the player's strengths to attack the line in a variety of ways.

AtariBigby
01-09-2009, 12:31 PM
From what I saw and I watched HIM very closely last night, he's very similar to Tommie Harris of the Bears, just as someone said when I first asked about Gerald a week or so ago.

He's a perfect 4-3 DT. Sure he could probably do alright as a 3-4 DE, but he' got Pro Bowl written all over him at normal DT. He looks too quick for a lot of OG's.

LonghornsLegend
01-09-2009, 12:32 PM

No it's not just you, he's a 4-3 UT and that's where he will be drafted...Especially since he will be getting looks top 15, more then likely a 4-3 team will pull the trigger, he probably could play in the 3-4 but that is definately not his ideal position.

He's an amazing pass rusher, why would you cripple him and have him taking on multiple blockers all game to free up LB's? You can find a space eater to play 3-4 DE, but there aren't many 4-3 UT's that come around often like him.

mqtirishfan
01-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I really hope a 3-4 team doesn't pick him, because I think he's perfect as an UT in a 4-3.

AntoinCD
01-09-2009, 01:59 PM
I think a team like Tampa Bay could do a lot worse than taking McCoy if he's available. I don't think he would be nearly as effective in a 3-4

Smokey Joe
01-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Just from watching the game last night, McCoy was a LOT more effective inside.

TheGM
01-09-2009, 02:11 PM
That man is a BEAST

AtariBigby
01-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Top-5 would be higher.
Top-3 lock is even higher yet.

Smokey Joe
01-09-2009, 02:48 PM
No. 1 is the highest... wow, I think we can move up from kindergarten now.

mqtirishfan
01-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Top-5 would be higher.
Top-3 lock is even higher yet.

It's not higher, because it's still in the same number set. #1 is just as much a part of the top 10 as the top 3.

Smokey Joe
01-09-2009, 02:53 PM
It's not higher, because it's still in the same number set. #1 is just as much a part of the top 10 as the top 3.
By you're logic, the top 30 and top 10 are the same since the top 10 are in the top 30.

mqtirishfan
01-09-2009, 02:55 PM
By you're logic, the top 30 and top 10 are the same since the top 10 are in the top 30.

They are. That's why you must go higher than #30, not the top 30.

Of course, top 5 means more than top 10. By going in the top 5, you're in a more exclusive group. However, you're still part of the top 10 picks.

Smokey Joe
01-09-2009, 03:09 PM
They are. That's why you must go higher than #30, not the top 30.

Of course, top 5 means more than top 10. By going in the top 5, you're in a more exclusive group. However, you're still part of the top 10 picks.
Do you think we are all retards? Obviously the no. 1 pick in the draft is in the top everything.

mqtirishfan
01-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Do you think we are all retards? Obviously the no. 1 pick in the draft is in the top everything.

But he's still in the top 10. There is nothing higher than top 10. There are simply more exclusive groups like the top 3 and whatnot.

the decider13
01-09-2009, 03:11 PM
But he's still in the top 10. There is nothing higher than top 10. There are simply more exclusive groups like the top 3 and whatnot.

This logic=nothing is higher than being drafted.

mqtirishfan
01-09-2009, 03:14 PM
This logic=nothing is higher than being drafted.

If you decide to call it the top 256 or whatever it is, then no there is nothing. However, there is no denying that #1 is higher than #10 or #160 or whatever number. Still, the #1 pick is a part of the top 10. How is this so difficult? It's really just an argument over semantics.

irishbucsfan
01-09-2009, 03:40 PM
If you decide to call it the top 256 or whatever it is, then no there is nothing. However, there is no denying that #1 is higher than #10 or #160 or whatever number. Still, the #1 pick is a part of the top 10. How is this so difficult? It's really just an argument over semantics.

Hah. This is entertaining. It's fun to see the cogs turn as people realise Top 10 doesn't actually mean picks 6-10.

Anyway, if this kid comes out, what are the chances that he would be around at 19 for the Bucs? Would they have to trade up to be sure?

Smokey Joe
01-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Then why in hell are you making a big argument out of it???

No. 1 > Top 3 > Top 5 > Top 10 > Top 15 > Top 20 and so on. They are groups into which you place players to determine how good of a prospect they are. Technically, all no. 1 picks are in the top 10, but there is a huge difference in saying someone is a number 1 or even top 3 or 5 pick then saying someone is a top 10 pick.

mqtirishfan
01-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Then why in hell are you making a big argument out of it???

No. 1 > Top 3 > Top 5 > Top 10 > Top 15 > Top 20 and so on. They are groups into which you place players to determine how good of a prospect they are. Technically, all no. 1 picks are in the top 10, but there is a huge difference in saying someone is a number 1 or even top 3 or 5 pick then saying someone is a top 10 pick.

I'm arguing because someone specifically said that top 5 is higher than top 10, and that just isn't true.

SenorGato
01-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure he would be able to use his speed better playing in the 3-4. Much better served playing UT and penetrating in the vein of Harris/Williams as mentioned before. I think he's much more like those guys than a Richard Seymour/Tyson Jackson type.

Tyson Jackson is way more different from Seymour than McCoy.

That said, I think McCoy could be a 3-4 DE in the mold of Luis Castillo or even Ty Warren.

I actually think Seymour's height is key enough that if player profiles like him is going to need to be at least 6'6. It's just part of what makes Seymour a truly special 3-4 DE.

I think Odrick, Oghobaase, Heyward, and Suh profile more like Seymour.

Seymour is in the class of DT's who can command a double team line and line up in every position on the DL in any formation. Thats mostly due to his raw size and athleticism, and the guys with his kind of skill in the NFL are spread out. Kevin Williams, Haynesworth, Seymour, Henderson. Haloti Ngata and Luis Castillo are applying, but what makes those guys special is the sheer size. Marcus Stroud and Ty Warren aren't in the class of those other guys, but are pretty close.

AtariBigby
01-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Anyway, if this kid comes out, what are the chances that he would be around at 19 for the Bucs? Would they have to trade up to be sure?
There better be no chance, because I don't see him making it past #9 when the Packers pick.
DT's like this don't come around every year, from what I witnessed last night. And the kid seems like an upstanding guy, wasn't part of any cheap hits or dirty play, he speaks well from what I've seen. He's not a threat to go to jail like his sidekick DeMarcus Granger, etc. McCoy is a perfect fit for the Packers.
So we won't take him for sure. :confused: Ted Thompson has to fool everybody.

irishbucsfan
01-10-2009, 04:55 AM
There better be no chance, because I don't see him making it past #9 when the Packers pick.
DT's like this don't come around every year, from what I witnessed last night. And the kid seems like an upstanding guy, wasn't part of any cheap hits or dirty play, he speaks well from what I've seen. He's not a threat to go to jail like his sidekick DeMarcus Granger, etc. McCoy is a perfect fit for the Packers.
So we won't take him for sure. :confused: Ted Thompson has to fool everybody.

I could look at it from the point of view that it means Peria Jerry or the Marks kid from Auburn will make it to us. They're both meant to be good. But it would be nice to get someone as good as people are making McCoy out to be.

What's the difference between him and the two UT prospects I mentioned? Is it a case of lower floor/higher ceiling? Because in the past I would have been confident taking whoever had the most potential, and trust in the Bucs' defensive staff to get the most out of them. But with the way Gaines Adams has progressed, plus Kiffin moving on, I'm not too sure anymore.

Mr. Stiller
01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
I'd take him for a 3-4 because he's just a phenomenal player. He may not reach his peak at 3-4 DE as he would 4-3 UT, but... He'll still likely be one of the best DE's in the league period.

That said, I really wish Arthur Jones, Ndamukung Suh and Jared Odrick would have declared. Those 3 guys are purely built 3-4 DE's.

keylime_5
01-10-2009, 05:10 PM

Seymour comparion is great. If Richard Seymour were 3 inches shorter, he would be Gerald McCoy. You'll probably hear a lot of Seymour comparisons for McCoy from now on.

Cigaro
01-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Gerald McCoy is God.

LonghornsLegend
01-10-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm not seeing the 3-4 stuff, maybe someone who feels he can fit there can elaborate some.

He's exactly the same build as Tommie Harris, and there is a premium on pass rushing UT's in a 4-3, alot more so then a 3-4 DE...You can bring up Seymour and how important he is, but honestly how many 3-4 DE's are game changers and worth a top 15 pick? I just think if a team wanted him in a 3-4 it would be well after pick 15, which is probably too late anyway.

keylime_5
01-10-2009, 05:30 PM
A big strong athletic DT guy like Seymour and McCoy who can hold the double teams and push the pocket on passing downs is invaluable to a 3-4 team. If you can stop the run with just a 3 man front and no blitz then you have a major advantage and can disguise what you're going to do a lot better. Big reason why New England took Ty Warren and Richard Seymour both in the top 15 (not to mention Vince Wilfork at 21). McCoy is a great fit for the 5 technique, I could see him going in the top ten if he comes out to Cincinnati, Green Bay, Cleveland, Jacksonville, or San Fran.

wonderbredd24
01-10-2009, 08:17 PM
A big strong athletic DT guy like Seymour and McCoy who can hold the double teams and push the pocket on passing downs is invaluable to a 3-4 team. If you can stop the run with just a 3 man front and no blitz then you have a major advantage and can disguise what you're going to do a lot better. Big reason why New England took Ty Warren and Richard Seymour both in the top 15 (not to mention Vince Wilfork at 21). McCoy is a great fit for the 5 technique, I could see him going in the top ten if he comes out to Cincinnati, Green Bay, Cleveland, Jacksonville, or San Fran.

All of that, plus he's an asset in his own right rushing the passer

ElectricEye
01-10-2009, 11:36 PM
All of that, plus he's an asset in his own right rushing the passer

...which he's in a MUCH better position to do at 4-3 UT.

giantsfan
01-10-2009, 11:38 PM
this past page has featured the worst argument ever...

hannah73
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
this past page has featured the worst argument ever...

I agree. People making stupid arguements thinking that they're really being clever should be smashed to sawdust.

Top 100 means that that you think it's top 100 but DON'T think it's top 10 as you WOULD HAVE SAID TOP 10 if it were. You get points for specificity. Saying "Stafford will likely go 'top 200'" is true but stupid. It implies you think it's unlikley he'd be first round or you WOULD HAVE NARROWED IT DOWN TO THAT.

And in general top 5 is not the same as top 10. The top 5 CANNOT be drafted in positions 6-10.

OK, kindergarten over.

mqtirishfan
01-12-2009, 03:07 PM
I agree. People making stupid arguements thinking that they're really being clever should be smashed to sawdust.

Top 100 means that that you think it's top 100 but DON'T think it's top 10 as you WOULD HAVE SAID TOP 10 if it were. You get points for specificity. Saying "Stafford will likely go 'top 200'" is true but stupid. It implies you think it's unlikley he'd be first round or you WOULD HAVE NARROWED IT DOWN TO THAT.

And in general top 5 is not the same as top 10. The top 5 CANNOT be drafted in positions 6-10.

OK, kindergarten over.

I'm just arguing number sets. Someone made a joke about how nothing was higher than top 10, which was funny. Then, someone jumped in and tried to correct the person making the joke. I didn't think a few back and forth posts would upset people.

hagy34
01-12-2009, 03:15 PM
I can't believe he's going back to OU. I thought for sure he would be gone....

giantsfan
01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm just arguing number sets. Someone made a joke about how nothing was higher than top 10, which was funny. Then, someone jumped in and tried to correct the person making the joke. I didn't think a few back and forth posts would upset people.

They didn't upset me, just made me want to stab little children.

TitleTown088
01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3828320

Yeah, weak he's staying.

Babylon
01-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Add McCoy to the list of players that will be top 10 next year, a list probably a lot longer than 10 names by the way. (i would be as guilty as anyone)

etk
01-12-2009, 03:53 PM
He can't get any more athletic and physically impressive, can he? w/e....maybe we'll get Jerry this year and McCoy next year.

mqtirishfan
01-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Damn it all.