PDA

View Full Version : Darrius Heyward-Bey

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 10:17 AM
How big is his "bust" potetinal. Is there a good chance he could be the next Troy Williamson, and as a Jaguars fan I don't want another Troy because Troy is garbage.

And who is better in your opinion....Percy Harvin or DHB?

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Anyone?? ..

JFLO
01-04-2009, 10:49 AM
He has pretty good upside, but he really hasn't proved his game overall to be considered the best receiver in the class. He's obviously a great prospect physically, but he hasn't shown his potential to the extent it needs to be. He's a first round pick as of today, but if he doesn't blow everyone away with his workouts like expected, then he could slip to a late Day 1 pick possibly all the way to a Early Day 2 pick.

Obviously Crabtree is a better overall prospect than DHB, but I feel that Jeremy Maclin is a very under appreciated prospect and is a better WR prospect than most give him credit for.

the decider13
01-04-2009, 10:52 AM
I think DHB could be great...but I think he may have Williamson-syndrome in the sense he might be overdrafted based on freakish speed. For instance, going to the Jags at 9 ;)

Geo
01-04-2009, 10:55 AM
I know next to thing about Williamson in college, but I would think DHB has better hands and did more in college as a WR. Someone more knowledgeable correct me, if I have it wrong.

DHB is limited somewhat playing at Maryland, in a run-first/heavy offense with Turner as his QB. On pure potential, he's probably up there with Crabtree and Maclin, but that's potential. We'll see if it ever fully realizes.

Maybe he doesn't expand much beyond a naturally quick/deep threat and turns out to be a servicable pro, say an Alvin Harper.

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 10:58 AM
We have the 8th pick actually the decider

Sp would you take Percy Harvin or DHB?

ATLDirtyBirds
01-04-2009, 11:01 AM
DHB>Percy Harvin.

Geo
01-04-2009, 11:04 AM
We have the 8th pick actually the decider

Sp would you take Percy Harvin or DHB?
Personally, definitely neither at the 8th overall pick. The only WRs I would consider there are Crabtree or Maclin, that's it. Take BPA and draft a WR later on.

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 11:13 AM
I know we're not taking a WR at 8 overall, I know that, we're going OT

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
So is Percy>DHB?

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Anyone?

Percy or DHB?

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Does this sound right about DHB?

At best: Roddy White

At worst: Devery Henderson

Smokey Joe
01-04-2009, 12:40 PM
DHB is the 3rd best receiver in this draft, unless Kenny Britt jumps ahead of him.

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 01:36 PM

At worst: Charles Rogers or Chad Jackson. Maybe David Terrell.

bearsfan_51
01-04-2009, 01:39 PM
He's a fringe first rounder at this point, could potentially be available for the Jags for their 2nd round pick, at which point I would take him over Harvin.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-04-2009, 02:30 PM

I'm not sure if you are talking about production, but he really doesn't compare with Roddy.

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure if you are talking about production, but he really doesn't compare with Roddy.

I was talking about playmaker and production

SeanTaylorRIP
01-04-2009, 03:20 PM
It's hard to evaluate a guy who gets so few looks, but what I love aside from his deep threat is that he never drops a ball. He catches with his hands and snatches balls. You can't overlook that at all. He's not just a freak who can run fast ala Chad Jackson, he can actually catch.

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
His stats receiving certainly don't do him any justice.
If he is that good, wouldn't a coaching staff run more offense his way against inferior collegiate DB's?

I can't imagine his QB's were much worse than Calvin Johnson's were at GA Tech, and CJ put up great numbers.

Race for the Heisman
01-04-2009, 04:56 PM
It's hard to evaluate a guy who gets so few looks, but what I love aside from his deep threat is that he never drops a ball. He catches with his hands and snatches balls. You can't overlook that at all. He's not just a freak who can run fast ala Chad Jackson, he can actually catch.

That's just the thing, though. He's got great burst, unparalleled long speed, and hands to boot, so why the lack of production? I don't think it is such a simple answer like scheme or coaching and that is what worries me about him.

derza222
01-04-2009, 05:08 PM
That's just the thing, though. He's got great burst, unparalleled long speed, and hands to boot, so why the lack of production? I don't think it is such a simple answer like scheme or coaching and that is what worries me about him.

To an extent it really is, not like he gets targeted all that much Maryland runs a very run-heavy offense and doesn't have the best quarterback play (to put it nicely). He makes the most of his opportunities and it's not like his stats have been awful he's put up 600-800 yards receiving every year with poor QB's. Position workouts at Maryland and the Combine will be more telling with him IMO of he comes out, he'd actually be a great guy to watch in a Senior Bowl type setting but obviously that won't happen if he comes out this year.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Well the offense does run is 75% of the times. And Chris Turner can't throw an accurate ball to save his life but most of it has to do with the fact that DHB gets long routes every play and Turner is only comfortable with dump offs to his TE's and slot receivers. DHB hasn't been asked to run intermediate routes which doesn't mean DHB can't but he is probably raw since he hasn't been asked to.

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 05:14 PM
How big is his bust potential?

Saints-Tigers
01-04-2009, 05:14 PM
His stats receiving certainly don't do him any justice.
If he is that good, wouldn't a coaching staff run more offense his way against inferior collegiate DB's?

I can't imagine his QB's were much worse than Calvin Johnson's were at GA Tech, and CJ put up great numbers.

You can't really hold it against a guy if he doesn't put up Calvin Johnson numbers.

SuperKevin
01-04-2009, 05:31 PM
How big is his bust potential?

About the same as all first round WRs

Babylon
01-04-2009, 05:49 PM
]I Can't imagine his QB's were much worse than Calvin Johnson's were at Ga Tech

I guess CJ is uses to crappy QBs

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-04-2009, 05:52 PM
i hope DHB comes to baltimore

AS11toFG21
01-04-2009, 11:35 PM

That's because Reggie Ball actually threw to CJ.

Monomach
01-04-2009, 11:39 PM
DHB is the 3rd best receiver in this draft, unless Kenny Britt jumps ahead of him.

Hell, I already have Britt ahead of him...but he's still #3.

SMoore
01-05-2009, 01:17 AM
Well the offense does run is 75% of the times. And Chris Turner can't throw an accurate ball to save his life but most of it has to do with the fact that DHB gets long routes every play and Turner is only comfortable with dump offs to his TE's and slot receivers. DHB hasn't been asked to run intermediate routes which doesn't mean DHB can't but he is probably raw since he hasn't been asked to.

The route running is what worries me. Williamson did not run many routes in college, although that wasn't his only problem.

I really like DHB, I don't think he'll be anything like Williamson. He will take a few years, like pretty much every receiver, but i wouldn't hesitate to take him in the 15-20 range if i needed a WR. The offense at UMD is horrible for him and he will be a lot better in the pros then he was in college.