PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Free Agency/Offseason

Pages : [1] 2

RCAChainGang
01-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Well there are so many different things that may happen.

I know the Colts don't get involved much in the big free agents.

Discuss who gets signed re-signed and things.

If Marvin got cut do you think the Colts would pull the trigger on TJ Houshmanzadeh? Probably no way, but just wondering what you guys think...

Philliez01
01-04-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm going to seperate both posts with one being draft and the other being free agency.

Free Agents (from Colts MB):

Saturday, Jeff
Hagler, Tyjuan
Thomas, Josh
Giordano, Matt
Reid, Darrell
Hayden, Kelvin
Rhodes, Dominic
Ratliff, Keiwan
Federkeil, Daniel
Muir, Daniel
Davis, Buster
Davenport, Najeh

I love Giordano's hustle, and with Darrell Reid, are really the only two formidable ST guys on this team. Keep 'em.

Josh Thomas has been a handy utility DL in his career and I see no reason why he won't be brought back.

Federkeil is depth and knows the system so he'll be back.

The "big" FAs on our team are Saturday, Hagler, Hayden and even though he's unlisted I believe Marlin Jackson is up there too.

Saturday is the big question mark. Him being healthy was a nice catalyst for the team and helped in the turnaround after Week 8. He's been reliable and one of the elite Cs in the game for a very good deal of time. Granted he suffered injuries this season but he's aging as well. I can see a 3-year deal at the maximum but it depends on what he costs. The team is certain of Pollak's future being at G. Jamey Richard was adequate in replacing Saturday so don't be shocked to see Jeff walk. If so? Colts Hall of Famer.

Hagler is interesting. He's been a nice LB'er, don't get me wrong but there's plenty of depth here. Brackett will be healthy so he'll be shuffled to a OLB spot if he returns. But then you have Keiaho and Session to deal with. Brackett was our best coverage LB'er and we saw that with Gates destroying us. He's not a marquee guy in which we'll regret his absence and given the front office's history with LB'ers (Thornton, Peterson, Washington, etc.) I think we can say bye, bye to Tyjuan.

Jackson OR Hayden will return. Nearly certain of that. Both are solid players but we can't overpay them as they are just solid. Both have two legendary INTs that will never be forgotten by Colts fans. Jackson with the AFCCG and Hayden with the INT return against Chicago in the SB. But if I could venture a guess, Jackson coming off an ACL injury will be cheaper. My money's on him to return and Hayden to walk.

Ratliff is filler and it's possible he'll return but I'm curious if Garcon takes over from now on. Davenport will be a camp body I think. Muir and Davis are whatever.

Geo
01-04-2009, 01:54 PM
2008 UFAs
Matt Giordano
Tyuan Hagler
Kelvin Hayden
Keiwan Ratliff
Darrell Reid
Dominic Rhodes
Jeff Saturday
Josh Thomas

2008 RFAs
Daniel Federkeil

Daniel Muir and Buster Davis were claimed off waivers this season. I believe they are either signed through 2009 as is, or are exclusive rights FAs which means the Colts can re-sign them cheap for '09 if they want to. Najeh Davenport was released before the playoff game, to make room for Michael Toudouze.

Geo
01-04-2009, 02:29 PM
UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Matt Giordano WALK
Not even a good special teamer. Best of luck.

Tyjuan Hagler WALK
If the price is cheap, I'd definitely consider keeping Hagler. Although he hasn't been able to stay healthy for one full season, which is worrisome, but he could be your #1 back-up (has starting experience) who contributes on ST.

Kelvin Hayden RE-SIGN
Hayden is definitely a keeper, unless he and his agent are asking for major coin. If so, then the Colts have to let him walk.

Hunter Smith WALK
Apparently he's reached incentives that have voided the final year of his contract. Time to get younger and hopefully better.

Keiwan Ratliff WALK
K-Rat, for a guy they claimed off waivers from the Bengals last year and was cut twice early in the '08 season, did a heck of a job. Very solid tackler, and an experienced punt return man if you need an emergency back-up. He's not shutdown, but I wouldn't mind bringing him back at a cheap price, although that's probably unlikely given the league-wide need for corners. Plus the Colts have some young cornerbacks coming off last season's Injured Reserve.

Darrell Reid WALK
The Colts' best ST coverage man, also depth defensive tackle and fullback. Not as good at FB as he is at the other positions, actually he might be better at DT than we know, seems the Colts don't give him enough snaps there. I would be okay with bringing him back, if the price is right, but I'm sure there's another team out there willing to spend more to have him on their special teams.

Dominic Rhodes RE-SIGN
I'd like to being Dom back, although it has to be at a cheap price. Which might happen given the number of free agents RBs available this offseason and Rhodes not having a great statistical season. Although another team could take a long look at the steady veteran presence he exhibited this season. Dom isn't very explosive, but he runs hard and is a fantastic fit otherwise for this offense. Now if the Colts can get another good player like say JJ Arrington for the same price or close to, I might sign that player instead (especially Arrington).

Jeff Saturday WALK
Saturday has been a great center in Indy for many years, in which he deserved more recognition at his position than he received. However he's going to be 34 before the season starts, and this past April in the Draft, the Colts wisely snatched up Mike Pollak, Steve Justice, and Jamey Richard at picks later than they really should have been drafted. I'd let Saturday get paid somewhere else, he'll help that team and best of luck to him. Colts continue to get younger.

Josh Thomas WALK
Thomas was decent for the short-term, until the Colts could get better talent at DE behind Freeney and Mathis. With Marcus Howard and Curtis Johnson in the fold already, plus an upcoming Draft in a few months, best of luck to Thomas.

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Daniel Federkeil NO TENDER; RE-SIGN
Federkeil has been a pet project of the Colts, and didn't look particularly great nor horrible in his little playing time in 2008. The lowest/cheapest tender the Colts can offer is $1.01M, without the benefit of any compensation should another team sign him because Federkeil was undrafted, so it's not worth it. But that doesn't mean the Colts and Federkeil can't agree to a modest deal for two or three years, if they should so choose.

Freddy Keiaho LOW TENDER ($1.01M)
Absolutely the lowest tender for Keiaho, let's just hope another team can be suckered into giving up their 3rd round pick as compensation for signing him. Although I doubt one will.

ROSTER CUTS
(Thanks to Coltscap.net)

Raheem Brock NO
'09 cap hit: $3.2M
Money saved in '09: $2.105M
Brock was hardly a factor at DE in '08, although he did seem to get slightly better as the season wore on. Maybe that had to do with the transition back from DT, where he played full-time in '06 and '07. And what really helped was Coach Dungy and Coach Meeks getting very creative on defense, having Brock stand up at the line and move around, before rushing the passer at the snap. I might be okay with one more year of Brock, although I think '09 could (should) very well be his last year with the Colts. If there's a stud DE in the first round who can play LDE and then slide inside on passing downs, I would definitely consider him.

Buster Davis YES
Goodbye.

Ryan Diem NO
'09 cap hit: $3.4M
Money saved in '09: $2.65M
As disappointing as Diem may be on occassions, as a pass or run blocker plus the guaranteed penalty every game, he does an okay job overall and helps protect Peyton. There are definitely worse right tackles in this league. So I think I'd keep Diem for '09 and maybe even '10 as well.

Ryan Lilja NO
'09 cap hit: $4M
Money saved in '09: $350KM
Lilja didn't play a down this season because of two knee surgeries, so unless his health as a football player is affected for next season, I'd keep him.

Marvin Harrison YES
'09 cap hit: $7.4M
Money saved in '09: $6M
Even if Harrison were to restructure his current contract so that he was paid between the vet minimum and 1M in base salary for '09, I'm not sure I would still bring him back. Part of me really thinks the Colts need to get younger and better, just like they did with Brandon Stokely. The past is the past, and the Colts are trying to win Super Bowls in the present and future.

Edit: I had to fix the numbers, because of the salary cap tweaks to the '09 season given the current CBA situation (ie. cap hits in full for '09!).

Edit #2: I added Hunter Smith, Freddy Keiaho, and removed the maybes because they're weak. ;)

RCAChainGang
01-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I would be really happy to see Darrel Reid get resigned. He is excellent at ST.

I would like to see Hayden resigned even more than I would like to see Marlin Jackson get resigned to be honest. He is my favorite DB for the Colts. If not we have depth to work without him.

Geo
01-04-2009, 10:34 PM
There was a comment by Bill Polian a few weeks back, on his weekly radio show, where he said something along the lines of "#26 isn't going anywhere." Hopefully that proves true, although if Hayden wants really big money, I'd (begrudgingly) let him walk. I feel that the Colts will re-sign him though, that's my gut feeling.

Geo
01-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I like Football Outsiders and their metrics analysis, here's how the Colts' offensive line stacks up this regular season (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol):

Pass Protection
Sack Rank - 1st
Sacks - 14
Adusted Sack Rate - 2.8%

Amazing that the Colts could be best in the league, given the struggles/injuries/rookies of the OL this season. Although that is the case because much of it is completely thanks to Peyton Manning. Now comes the not-so-rosy part ...

Rushing
Adjusted Line Yards - 4.10, 23rd
RB Yards - 3.60, T-30th (4.25 NFL '08 avg)
Power Success - 62%, 21st (67%)
10+ Yards - 9%, 32nd (19%)
Stuffed - 23%, 13th (24%)

Breakdown in each direction of Colts' 345 rushing attempts
Left End - 15% (11% NFL '08 avg)
Left Tackle - 14% (14%)
Mid/Guard - 47% (50%)
Right Tackle - 10% (10%)
Right End - 14% (14%)

Team's Adjusted Line Yards (ALY) in each direction
Left End - 4.92, 9th (4.24 NFL '08 avg)
Left Tackle - 4.09, 18th (4.26)
Mid/Guard - 4.20, 18th (4.24)
Right Tackle - 4.29, 15th (4.18)
Right End - 2.73, 31st (3.97)

chad72
01-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Team's Adjusted Line Yards (ALY) in each direction
Left End - 4.92, 9th (4.24 NFL '08 avg)
Left Tackle - 4.09, 18th (4.26)
Mid/Guard - 4.20, 18th (4.24)
Right Tackle - 4.29, 15th (4.18)
Right End - 2.73, 31st (3.97)

When we run towards the other team's left end or left tackle, it seems like that is when we get the most production. I am assuming it is our opponent's left end or left tackle, right? If that is the case, Ryan Diem is doing a good job in run blocking. That would not be a surprise since he is our biggest OL, at 320 lbs.

Geo
01-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Ah, those directions are for the Colts, actually.

I don't recall if FO explained the directions in detail, but Left End is running outside of Tony Ugoh, to the left of him. Right End, outside/to the right of Ryan Diem.

I would say Left/Right Tackle is behind that tackle and just inside of him, between the left/right guard.

Mid/Guard is behind the three interior linemen and the spaces between them.

fischbowl
01-05-2009, 09:18 PM
I got the Colts in the Expansion Draft Mock. Who should I not protect?

Dam8610
01-05-2009, 10:23 PM
I got the Colts in the Expansion Draft Mock. Who should I not protect?

Depends on how many slots you have, but I'd definitely let Saturday and Harrison be available. Manning, Wayne, Gonzalez, Clark, Freeney, Mathis Sanders, and Ugoh should be protected at least.

Dam8610
01-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I want Darrell Reid back, he's so good on special teams, plus he can play a little DT, and most importantly IMO he'll come fairly cheap.

Geo
01-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Reid is the special teams captain, for real. I read somewhere that he was arranging after-practice meetings for the special teams guy this season, to get things improved. And they were, especially early on the season.

If only the Colts could get a better ST coach ...

Speaking of ST and witnessing the ridiculous punting performance we did this past weekend, Hunter Smith is a FA after '09. Smith wasn't very good in '07 but bounced back for a good '08, but if the Colts can pick up his successor this April, that'd be fine I think.

RCAChainGang
01-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Reid is the special teams captain, for real. I read somewhere that he was arranging after-practice meetings for the special teams guy this season, to get things improved. And they were, especially early on the season.

Speaking of ST and witnessing the ridiculous punting performance we did this past weekend, Hunter Smith is a FA after '09. Smith wasn't very good in '07 but bounced back for a good '08, but if the Colts can pick up his successor this April, that'd be fine I think.

Thats what I had on mind was a new coach...

Who do we have now and is that a posibility?

redviper311
01-06-2009, 10:48 AM

Britton Colquitt of the kicking Colquitt's should be available around RD 6 and should be a great replacement. The only thing is that Hunter Smith as been one of the most realiable hold guys in the league. Which is very over looked by most but look at Romo in the Playoffs two seasons ago...that costed them the game, the HOLD on a chip shot FG.

Geo
01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Good point on Hunter Smith being the holder, forgot about that. If there was a change, maybe Sorgi could handle that, but that could be a worry come next year's playoffs.

Smith actually had a good (not great) year imo, so I'm not especially looking to kick him out the door a year early. Yeah, he didn't play well in playoff game and that especially stands out given Scifres' performance of the ages, but even if you look at both players' regular seasons, they're quite close.

Obviously they need to bring in the next guy by 2010. If they can find the right guy this coming April, so be it. Maybe an UDFA falls through the cracks. Regardless, they're bound to bring in some competition because that's what they've done in recent years. And I like it, I think Smith is better for it. Got to keep players on their toes sometimes.

And if the new punter can help out Vinatieri with kickoffs, that would be even better.

Thats what I had on mind was a new coach...

Who do we have now and is that a posibility?
That would be one Russ Purnell, who has been the Colts' special teams coach for 8 years now. And possibly counting, given that he's held the job for this long despite how painfully bad the Colts' ST has been before this year.

Geo
01-06-2009, 11:25 PM
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/01/jagodzinski_meets_with_jets.html

Colts' defensive coordinator Ron Meeks will have a head-coaching interview with the Jets this Friday. Would they be so kind as to take him? :p

Also, Jeff Jagodzinski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Jagodzinski) interviewed with the Jets and doesn't look like he'll be back as head coach of Boston College. If the Colts were to replace Tom Moore, I'm not sure there would be a better candidate than Jags to be the next OC. If I'm not mistaken, his offense is a one-back spread-type, not far at all from the Colts.

The only concern is Jags leaving after a short-time for a HC gig elsewhere. I don't want to be changing OCs every few years, the Colts need consistency in the second half of Peyton's career.

Geo
01-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Everyone, even if you're not a Colts fan, should give this week's Polian Corner (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=ebaa563c-f80b-48eb-b515-50abd4eddcb1) a read.

Best Polian Corner, probably ever. I wouldn't be surprised if Polian is burning about the loss more than any other player on the team, even Peyton, given his temperament. But he still knows what's what.

There's also some juicy stuff for us to discuss there, but I'll wait for everyone to check it out.

chad72
01-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Last year, BP felt the turning point in the Chargers' playoff loss was the Kenton Keith incomplete pass that resulted in a pick. Now, KK is no more.

This year, BP felt that Addai did not hit the hole hard enough on 2nd & 4 to get the 4 yards. This is as much as I have heard BP talk about Addai. He also evaded the question as to why Dom Rhodes did not get much carries. My take is that he either does not know why himself or he is too livid to talk about the fact why Rhodes did not get many carries.

I can see us cutting Addai, and Harrison. The only flipside is that Addai is cheap but he will occupy a roster spot unnecessarily if he is not good. I would like someone like a Donald Brown or Shonn Greene in the draft if we cannot re-sign Rhodes and we cut Addai. Along with Hart and Simpson, an RB like Donald Brown or Shonn Greene will really help this team. Plus, RB is one of the easiest positions to play for a rookie.

Geo
01-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Addai isn't getting cut, come on.

chad72
01-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Addai isn't getting cut, come on.

The Colts normally cut someone as a salary cap casualty or if they hit free agency and they do not think it is worthwhile matching the offer. Addai is going to give us neither problem, so he stays:).

Hopefully, we get to see Mike Hart play more next season, how Hart does will determine if Addai is made any offer once the coming year (his last rookie contract year) is over.

Dam8610
01-08-2009, 11:01 PM
The Colts normally cut someone as a salary cap casualty or if they hit free agency and they do not think it is worthwhile matching the offer. Addai is going to give us neither problem, so he stays:).

Hopefully, we get to see Mike Hart play more next season, how Hart does will determine if Addai is made any offer once the coming year (his last rookie contract year) is over.

Addai's rookie contract is 5 years because he was drafted in round 1.

Geo
01-11-2009, 03:39 PM
I haven't watched any of the playoff games after the Colts' game, just don't feel like it (only Bowls I'm watching are the Senior Bowl and Pro Bowl), but can't help but notice ...

Either Arizona or Philadelphia is guaranteed to make the Super Bowl. :( Even this year's Colts would have had a pretty good chance against either, I think.

Also, the Ravens eliminating the Titans isn't surprising and meant there was a chance for the Colts to host the AFCCG. :( Of course, they would have had to beat the Chargers in San Diego twice and the Steelers in Pittsburgh twice in one season, which is a ridiculous difficult. I think they would have had a chance, but ultimately it was too daunting a task for this year's Colts.

Philliez01
01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I haven't watched any of the playoff games after the Colts' game, just don't feel like it (only Bowls I'm watching are the Senior Bowl and Pro Bowl), but can't help but notice ...

Either Arizona or Philadelphia is guaranteed to make the Super Bowl. :( Even this year's Colts would have had a pretty good chance against either, I think.

Also, the Ravens eliminating the Titans isn't surprising and meant there was a chance for the Colts to host the AFCCG. :( Of course, they would have had to beat the Chargers in San Diego twice and the Steelers in Pittsburgh twice in one season, which is a ridiculous difficult. I think they would have had a chance, but ultimately it was too daunting a task for this year's Colts.

Samesies, I can't bare too watch these games. Usually I can watch playoff games but now it just seems....like nothing. Oh well, next year....

Anyway, Colts fans. I want you guys to check out this article I wrote about the "last" game:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/104235-indianapolis-colts-failure-when-it-all-goes-wrong

Geo
01-11-2009, 04:01 PM
The Colts had a great regular season, overcoming some of the adversity they faced and finding ways to win (breaking more NFL records in the process), but they definitely looked mortal. We knew going into the postseason they could lose any week or maybe make a crazy run for it all. Especially once Roethlisberger got a serious concussion in Week 17, I thought the Colts' chances at Pittsburgh improved.

Knowing that though, I got my hopes up about this gutsy team and got crushed. It sucks.

Still, I can't wait for next year. It feels like this is what they've been building for since the '06 season finished. The #2 TE will be shored up, the OL will be shored up, the RB core will be shored up, and the WR core will be quicker/faster/bigger/stronger. I am positive the running game will be improved, that will be a focus for the franchise this offseason and they will make sure it's addressed. When the Colts can run the ball, the team can beat anyone in the league. But they've long struggled to run the ball against 3-4 defenses.

Defensively, even though the pass defense set a ridiculous record this year, the secondary will be hitting a peak just like they did in '06. Just have to hope Freeney and Mathis stay healthy, btw the Week 17 rest was perfect for them as they were dominant against San Diego. The DT position will be improved from '08, with at least one more contributor and added experience; same deal with the LBs. Safety-wise, Bob Sanders will come back strong.

And hopefully the Colts can get better match-ups, as they did in '06. Although I think they can/will beat San Diego, even if it's a tough match-up for them. At least the Pats still have a poor secondary and not potent enough of a pass rush.

Next year, the Colts play the AFC East and the NFC West. If they can win their division, which I think they can with a healthy Peyton Manning, I think they have a good shot at either the #1 or #2 seed next year. The offense is better at home, especially playing against the good 3-4 defenses in the league.

chad72
01-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Next year, the Colts play the AFC East and the NFC West. If they can win their division, which I think they can with a healthy Peyton Manning, I think they have a good shot at either the #1 or #2 seed next year. The offense is better at home, especially playing against the good 3-4 defenses in the league.

The Chargers D can be had, the Steelers showed us that. But then, the Steelers could run the ball at will, both the OL and RBs were solid, especially Willie Parker. Plus, the Chargers' D just does not generate turnovers, the Colts could have taken more chances, IMO. The Colts' D held the Chargers O to 17 points at the Chargers home turf, and but for a garbage time TD, the Pitt D held the Chargers O to 17 points in regulation at Pittsburgh. Just goes to show you our D held its own and was par-for-the-course in the Chargers' game but our O did not hold its own, much below par effort in regulation in the Chargers playoff game. I did feel our playcalling on O was not as aggressive in the Chargers playoff game.

Plus, when you can run the ball like the Steelers did, look at how easier it was to take advantage of the safeties and LBs having to honor the run and not being able to get back to defend the pass quick enough. Huge difference.

I just feel we need to abandon the "I need my RB to just get 5 yards a pop and not be that explosive as long as he can pass protect and catch" philosophy. Plus, why do I never see our RBs run outside the tackles and get to the edge as much as I see other teams' RBs do? One answer would be, there are not as explosive as a Willie Parker or AP, hands down.

No matter which way you slice and dice it, we will most likely have to beat 2 out of 3 teams - Pats, Chargers, Steelers to get to the SB, all of them 3-4 Ds. Plus, Peyton Manning has never won more than 1 road playoff game. The only ones I see winning 2 or 3 on the road are cold weather teams - Steelers, Giants, Ravens recently. So, the answer is: first win the division, get no worse than a #3 seed (I'd rather not get the #1 seed, IMO, just don't like the added pressure it brings), and see if you can win 1 on the road in the playoffs and hope the #1 seed falls again:) in the divisional round. Yes, Peyton's offensive numbers are much better at home against those 3-4 Ds in the playoffs. He brought us back though we lost to the Steelers 18-21 and gave Vanderjagt a chance. He threw for 400 yards and 3 TDs in last year's Chargers playoff loss. Even in losses, his numbers are better at home in the playoffs. That is why homefield and home cooking matters a lot for Peyton.

MaxV
01-12-2009, 11:40 AM
The new Era begins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3827058

Geo
01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Wow.

I really thought Coach Dungy would be back for '09, In fact, to be honest, I was thinking he'd stay for two more years. Guess I underestimated how much retirement, in spending more time with his family and moving on to his character endeavors, was weighing on his mind.

Well. Guess all those Colts fans calling for his head, like they always do when things aren't going right, will finally get their wish. I'm rather bummed myself.

Here's hoping Jim Caldwell is a great head coach, but first, thanks to Coach Dungy for getting this franchise right and contending every year. Outsiders don't realize how much he's helped the offensive players on this team, especially Peyton Manning become a better QB, in addition to the great work he's done fielding a continually young defense. Look at '05, '07, and '08 - he delivered one heck of a scoring defense in all three of those years.

For a defensive coach like him, while it's too bad the Colts couldn't send him out with a Super Bow championship, the next best thing is obliterating the NFL record for a defense allowing passing TDs in a season. No one will ever match this feat.

MaxV
01-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Tony Dungy = First-ballot Hall of Famer.

RCAChainGang
01-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Tony Dungy = First-ballot Hall of Famer.

Agreed. What a great guy too!
He is gonna do some cool things with his time away.
I think he is gonna get involved with his church more and in FCA and stuff.
You guys read his book?
I recommend it!

Geo
01-13-2009, 11:31 AM
I picked up Quiet Strength two months or so back, I haven't read it yet but started on it yesterday. Looking forward to reading it.

Geo
01-13-2009, 11:36 AM
New Colts' head coach Jim Caldwell is going to have his first presser today, can't wait to hear it. Maybe he'll give us some insight on his thoughts on the team going forward.

I hear he might tweak some things, including getting a little bigger on the defensive line - I imagine DT is the area of note in this case - or at least that's what John Clayton said yesterday. And Bill Polian on Mike & Mike this morning, although I didn't hear it, confirmed there would be some tweaks (although not specifically DT) and some changes to the coaching staff if Caldwell wants, because it's now his staff.

I'm kind of excited by that news. I'm sure the rest of the SWDC Colts fans are even more so. ;)

Even if nothing changes, I believe in Jim Caldwell.

Geo
01-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Jim Caldwell introduced as new Colts HC (complete, audio) (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=152012a9-dade-4625-a03f-726fdff2081b)

Jim Caldwell introduced as new Colts HC (partial, video) (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=fdcbc49d-fcdb-4622-8277-af44da5d144f)

Dam8610
01-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Russ Purnell's contract not renewed (http://www.indystar.com/article/20090114/SPORTS03/90114042)

Jim Caldwell has been busy, this is already his second coaching staff change (he replaced himself with Frank Reich earlier in the week). I hope he continues to follow through on his promises, especially if it means NFL sized DTs.

Geo
01-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Finally, a new ST coach. Thank you so much, Jim Caldwell. (I wouldn't be surprised if Polian badly wanted him gone too.)

Reich as the new QB coach is interesting, especially considering he only just got into coaching the last year or two. Polian says the improvement we've seen in Sorgi, in the Week 17 Tennessee game in particular, has a lot to do with Reich. We'll see.

If the name is familiar btw, Reich is the former Buffalo Bills (backup) QB who was part of the historic comeback against the Houston Oilers.

RCAChainGang
01-15-2009, 10:01 PM
I am liking the coaching staff!
Maybe we can have some better coaching and blocking on special teams leading to some good field position!

Geo
01-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Not only did the Colts not get a single special teams TD last year, I can't recall one time ST got past the 50. Well, there was the great punt return against Minnesota on the game-winning drive ... but Darrell Reid committed a penalty (a hallmark of the '08 Colts' special teams) that brought it back behind the 50.

At least they didn't fumble the ball except for Ratliff against Detroit. Well, they got lucky in the playoff game against San Diego that the initial ruling wasn't a Chad Simpson fumble on that one play.

RCAChainGang
01-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Not only did the Colts not get a single special teams TD last year, I can't recall one time ST got past the 50. Well, there was the great punt return against Minnesota on the game-winning drive ... but Darrell Reid committed a penalty (a hallmark of the '08 Colts' special teams) that brought it back behind the 50.

Amen to that. I really think ST has been overlooked...

Geo
01-15-2009, 10:16 PM
TJ Rushing was (still is?) an underrated returner. He did well in '07.

We'll see if he can't win the job back, especially as the Colts are likely to bring in a rookie who can compete for the job.

RCAChainGang
01-15-2009, 10:21 PM
TJ Rushing was (still is?) an underrated returner. He did well in '07.

We'll see if he can't win the job back, especially as the Colts are likely to bring in a rookie who can compete for the job.

I agree with you here. TJ Rushing is a great return man and I would love to see him get another shot.

Geo
01-16-2009, 05:44 PM
Obviously, the League and the Players' Union have to agree to a new Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) before 2011. The current CBA runs through 2010, with 2009 being the last capped year and 2010 having no salary cap but increased restrictions. (Having no salary cap wouldn't completely make things the Wild West or something, don't worry.)

One such provision that kicks in in 2010, under the current CBA, is that a player whose contract has expired becomes an unrestricted free agent only if he has accrued SIX or more seasons in the NFL. Five season or less, that player is a restricted free agent - and that system works similar to how it is now, I believe.

Currently, the way it's been for the last number of years and how it remains until the uncapped 2010 season, a player whose contract is expiring becomes an unrestricted free agent after FOUR or more seasons accrued. Ex. Kelvin Hayden has accrued four seasons in the league, '05-'08, and will be an unrestricted FA this offseason.

So what does this mean exactly/specifically?

Well, should no CBA come to pass before the league enters the 2010 season under those existing provisions ... Colts players who might otherwise be unrestricted FAs would still be restricted FAs. To be specific:

CB Marlin Jackson (5 yrs accrued, come 2010)
CB Tim Jennings (4 yrs)
LB Freddy Keiaho (4 yrs)
OL Charlie Johnson (4 yrs)
S Antoine Bethea (4 yrs)
CB TJ Rushing (4 yrs)

So just maybe the Colts might get an extra year out of some of their players, if they so choose. A bonus in having them for another productive year even if they aren't re-signed long-term, or having another year to decide to sign them long-term or not. Marlin Jackson being the most obvious of the group.

Now, the NFL and the Players' Union will agree to a new CBA before 2011. They have to, otherwise there would be a lockout, and I can't imagine both parties letting that happen no matter how cut short demands from either side may be.

And it's quite feasible a new CBA might be agreed to before 2010, although right now, I'm not so sure about that. The Union has yet to find a new Head of the Players' Union in place, to replace Gene Upshaw who passed away last year, and Polian thinks that might not happen until around March which looks likely. So for a new Union Head to come in around that time, and the Union and all of the owners to agree to a new CBA in less than a year's time, kind of looks doubtful I think.

But you better believe the players (and of course their agents) who could be UFAs in the current system will push the Players' Union to come to terms on a new CBA before 2010, so they don't have to wait another year or two.

Maybe we'll get into some of the other details/provisions of the current CBA later, but I thought this was an important note. Especially for Marlin Jackson.

2009 may be a recovery year for him, after tearing both the ACL and meniscus cartilage in his right knee (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3817363&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines), so 2010 may provide an additional/contract year if things continue.

Dam8610
01-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I really don't want to see an uncapped year. If the cap goes, I doubt it ever comes back.

Geo
01-16-2009, 10:33 PM
We all have bad visions of Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder, but those guys are the exceptions and if anything, the majority of owners will want a cap floor to make sure cheapos don't skate and bring the league down - especially if there's a form of revenue sharing. I think the cap will stay, and even if it doesn't, there will definitely be a major form of competitive balance. I'm not too worried about it, I guess, especially with Commissioner Goodell at the top. He takes care of the NFL.

LonghornsLegend
01-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Have you guys heard anything about Herm Edwards coming in to run the defense if he gets fired? I believe it's still just speculation, but I think that would be a perfect fit, he knows that system very well and could ensure that the Colts D still stays aggressive and a top defense, and for Herm it could position himself for another HC gig down the line when the right team comes calling.

With not many names available, he seems like he would fit beautifully in Indy.

Geo
01-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Part of me has been secretly hoping for that. Herm would be kind of exciting, he played bad cop in Tampa for Coach Dungy and could bring that plus an added energy/emotion that plays well for a defense. He works well with a defense.

But the big worry is that he's never been a defensive coordinator, I'm pretty sure he went from defensive backs coach in Kansas City to Assistant head coach/defensive backs coach in Tampa to head coach in NYJ and KC. That's why I would be fine with Ron Meeks returning as the DC.

He's been the DC here for years and has experience of calling plays on the field, making possible adjustments. Especially with Coach Dungy no longer here, and I think Dungy had a strong hand in the defense, keeping some stability on that side of the ball could be very important.

Meeks may not be the greatest defensive coordinator, but to be honest, I don't think he's as bad as may be made out to be at times (especially with injuries/talent deficiency). Maybe he tweaks some things he wants to do differently, if Coach Caldwell agrees.

I'd be happy with either Meeks or Edwards.

Geo
01-18-2009, 04:16 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/18/moore-mudd-nearly-retired/

MOORE, MUDD NEARLY RETIRED
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2009, 4:33 p.m. EST

As we look back over our notes from the Sunday pregame shows, we remembered that the Colts almost were looking for a new offensive coordinator and offensive line coach.

ESPNís Chris Mortensen reported earlier in the day that Tom Moore and Howard Mudd nearly called it a career along with Colts coach Tony Dungy.

Moore, 70, has been with the Colts since 1998. Mudd, 66, joined the franchise the same year.

Per Mort, owner Jim Irsay talked both of them out of retiring.

Meanwhile, Mort reports that changes could be coming to the defensive staff. We recently heard that Chiefs coach Herm Edwards could join the Colts if/when he is fired in Kansas City.

Although ...

One of the Indystar beat reporters had this to say, dated January 14th: (http://blogs.indystar.com/coltsinsider/archives/2009/01/ask-the-experts-89.html)

QUESTION: Monday was a sad and bittersweet day. I couldn't stop my tears. Strange to say for a 40-year-old man. But I've been a fan of this team for that long, and I am so happy and glad to have had the last seven years. I remember so many of the lean years. Now that coach Dungy has left, do you know if any of the other coaches will leave?
-- from Karl Harig, Pottsville, PA

ANSWER: I expect there to be a change or two. That will be the first priority for Jim Caldwell as he settles in as head coach. He already has named Frank Reich to replace him as quarterbacks coach. I won't be shocked if a coach or two leaves, or is asked to leave. It will be interesting to see if Caldwell wants to stick with Russ Purnell as special teams coach or Ron Meeks as defensive coordinator. The two I was most concerned with were offensive coordinator Tom Moore and offensive line coach Howard Mudd. I thought either or both might be considering retirement. But I talked with both guys earlier this week and they're looking forward to at least another season. That's very good news for the franchise. Moore and Mudd have been huge components in this long run of success.
Same story? Not sure, but maybe Mort only got the info recently to reveal it.

I definitely want Mudd to stay. Moore, eh, honestly part of me really wants him gone. But whatever is best for Peyton and the offense, they as a unit need to do better and play better in the postseason. Especially on the road. That's been the biggest disappointment in this era.

Loggerhead
01-19-2009, 08:13 PM
PFT is reporting that Ron Meeks is gone.

Geo
01-19-2009, 09:47 PM
They reported it as rumor first, but looks like they were able to find another source tp confirm it.

MEEKS IS OUT
Posted by Mike Florio on January 19, 2009, 9:44 p.m. EST

We can officially remove the question mark from our prior post regarding whether the Colts have fired defensive coordinator Ron Meeks.

We can now report that they have.

And thus Meeks is the second of three coordinators to exit the team in less than a week after Jim Caldwell succeeded Tony Dungy.

So much for continuity.

UPDATE: We’re hearing that the team is giving Meeks a chance to find something else before formally pulling the plug. However, it’s an open secret that he’s shopping himself at the Senior Bowl in Alabama.
link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/19/meeks-is-out/)

Best of luck to him in finding another job.

Hopefully the Colts can hire a really good defensive coordinator, if it's landing Herm Edwards or someone else.

MaxV
01-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Could this mean a different scheme as well?

Our personnel are ideal for Cover-2 and I don't expect that to change, but I wouldn't mind seeing more blitzing.

Geo
01-19-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't think there is any way there will be a scheme change. The personnel is in place. Maybe I've got it all wrong, though.

And the Colts might not have to need to blitz if their defensive interior could generate some pass rush. Which they are supposed to do in this scheme, the front four is supposed to generate the pressure.

Dam8610
01-20-2009, 12:31 AM
And the Colts might not have to need to blitz if their defensive interior could generate some pass rush. Which they are supposed to do in this scheme, the front four is supposed to generate the pressure.

Exactly, it's a personnel issue.

MaxV
01-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Yes, I've been saying that for awhile.

With the pressure Freeney and Mathis apply from outside, opposition's QBs often step up in the pocket to avoid it.

They wouldn't be able to do that if we could get pressure from inside.

RCAChainGang
01-20-2009, 08:17 AM
This might be bad to say...

But I am liking the changing. As long as we stay Cover 2 I am fine with all these changes. We definately needed a new special teams coach and our defense was a huge problem this year. Though I am not sure you can blame that on the coach for all the injuries and such....

Geo
01-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Meeks sure did coach better in '05 and '07, when he had better defensive tackles to work with, huh?

I don't think he's that bad, and really I wonder if maybe he wouldn't tweak some things we'd like to see tweaked now that Coach Dungy is not guiding the defense. But I'm not going to be sad that Meeks is gone either, other than I hope the guy can find another coaching job and all that. I'm excited by the change and can't wait to see who the next DC is.

If I was Tampa Bay, I would definitely consider Meeks as their defensive coordinator. Experienced guy in the defense who could help out the youngest head coach in the history of the league in Raheem Morris.

Dam8610
01-20-2009, 10:05 AM
I haven't heard Leslie Frazier's name in relation to head coaching jobs in a while...any chance the Colts might try to lure him back?

Geo
01-20-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't think the Vikings would let him leave in a lateral move, taking the DC position for another team. I wouldn't, if I were them.

And I'm not sure the Colts could get around that, unless they were to sign him as an Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator? Would that work? I don't know.

Plus, if I was Frazier, I might stay in Minnesota and keep improving on the defense I'm building. I think he gets a head coaching spot within the next two years.

chad72
01-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Probably, you have all heard the rumor that Meeks might be let go. I am not sure if you have any other credible source to endorse this.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

I immediately thought of Bob Sanders, the former Packers DC that was let go by Mike McCarthy not because they sucked but because he wanted to go from a 4-3 to a 3-4 thus hiring Capers.

I just looked at Bob Sanders' bio and his resume is impressive. He has a wealth of experience, he obviously can coach, I just don't have any facts to support he can coach Cover 2 (maybe he brings KGB with him, wink :-)). I know Hayden and Jackson are more physical than the usual Cover 2 corners we have had in the past, so they could be made to work in a more traditional 4-3 scheme if we decided to go that way.

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/sanders_bob/

Geo
01-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Good mention. Although not the clone of Bob Sanders that Colts' fandom would love to have ... ;)

Okay guys, roundtable question:

Assuming the Colts do part ways with Marvin Harrison, how do you envision Dallas Clark as a part of this offense next year? Do the Colts use him slightly differently, or does Peyton just look to him more so he will produce more - can he be, say, a 1,000-yard and 8-TD receiving threat? Or do things stay the same?

Clark's last two years:
07 15 games started, 58--616--10.6--11, 3.9 r/g, 41.1 yds/g, 99 targets
08 15 games started, 77--848--11.0--6, 5.1 r/g, 56.5 yds/g, 107 targets

chad72
01-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Just heard on 1070 AM The Fan, The Kravitz (Bob Kravitz) and Eddie (Eddie White) Show :

Ron Meeks resigned, he was not fired.

It is official: http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=b6429c20-9d3b-4a4a-9be6-3b08da4f60c0

chad72
01-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Good mention. Although not the clone of Bob Sanders that Colts' fandom would love to have ... ;)

Assuming the Colts do part ways with Marvin Harrison, how do you envision Dallas Clark as a part of this offense next year? Do the Colts use him slightly differently, or does Peyton just look to him more so he will produce more - can he be, say, a 1,000-yard and 8-TD receiving threat? Or do things stay the same?

Clark's last two years:

I'd like to use Clark for out routes as well besides the slot for 2 reasons :

i) He will last longer without too many concussions from going down the middle:) all the time plus can stretch the field more and our WRs can play the crowded slot with slants (when was the last time the Colts WRs had slant routes in stride, seems like so long ago).

ii) The threat of him being on the outside, once it becomes real, the safety or LB just cannot run blitz without paying attention to him and he can provide the run blocking to the outside that we do not have as well with our WRs lined up on the outside. It is safe to say he is a better run blocker than our WRs at least till Garcon shows us what he can do.

iii) Then, once Tamme comes along, the 2nd TE receiving production is only going to go up, I really hope it does.

Dam8610
01-20-2009, 04:34 PM

Clark's last two years:

I think Clark is close to maxed out as far as what he can be in this offense. Maybe you could combine his best totals from each of those years, but I don't think he ever goes for 100 receptions or 1000 yards.I think 2 players might directly benefit from the departure of Marvin Harrison next year, those being Pierre Garcon and Jacob Tamme.

RCAChainGang
01-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Good mention. Okay guys, roundtable question:

Clark's last two years:

Marvin being gone will make us so much better though I hate to say it. Peyton looks to Marvin too much because they are always on the same page. Marvin just doesn't fight for balls anymore. Dallas would get a ton more looks. As would Reggie and most importantly speedy Gonzo. That is exciting. I don't think Dallas will get those numbers however, but certainely will help us win more games as he is better (just true) on 3rd downs getting the 1rst. I think Marvin being gone will give Clark even more meaningful catches. This will result in us winning games that we might have lost had we gone to Harrison.

Thats at least my take on it. I'm no expert though. Geo Dam and MaxV will approve or strike down my ideas. Hahah :)

chad72
01-21-2009, 08:39 AM
These are the details of Larry Coyer, who is rumored to succeed Meeks. I heard that on 1260 AM WNDE last evening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Coyer

Here is a link with a picture:

http://pewterpirates.blogspot.com/20...tant-head.html

One notable things with the Ds he coached, they all played good run D. But then, Peyton shredded Denver's secondary when Larry Coyer was DC at Denver and Coyer could not get the secondary to step up in the playoffs.

While Herman Edwards is the one rumored nationwide, I wouldn't mind giving Larry Coyer a chance since he has been DC before. Another candidate I would like the Colts to interview is fired Packers DC Bob Sanders.

Geo
01-21-2009, 09:06 AM
The four years (2003-2006) that Coyer was the defensive coordinator for the Broncos, they finished Top 10 in scoring defense every year. And like chad said, had a good run defense.

Interesting.

chad72
01-21-2009, 10:29 AM
The four years (2003-2006) that Coyer was the defensive coordinator for the Broncos, they finished Top 10 in scoring defense every year. And like chad said, had a good run defense.

Interesting.

Plus, in those 4 years, the Broncos gave fits to the Patriots and Chargers offenses. I'd say bring him on:)

Geo
01-21-2009, 08:12 PM
WISH-TV in Indianapolis is reporting that Larry Coyer will be the new defensive coordinator of the Colts. (http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/Colts_to_hire_Coyer)

(Plus PFT is still hearing that Herm Edwards could still join the coaching staff.)

I was a little worried about Edwards as a DC, because he had never done that before, but I like the addition of Coyer if it happens. He put a good Broncos defense out there, except for the last half of '06 when injuries really hurt - especially to their defensive leader and captain MLB Al Wilson.

Coyer had at least one great talent at all three levels (Trevor Pryce, Wilson & DJ Williams, and Champ Bailey), although overall, hardly always had the greatest talent in Denver. Especially on the defensive line, except for Trevor Pryce who was good, he was making the most of ex-Cleveland Browns defensive linemen (remember the Browncos?).

Plus Coyer has been the DL coach of the Bucs the last two years, not coincidentally their defensive line has been playing better I thought even though they don't have the greatest talent there. I'm sure he's now salivating over the fact that he gets to work with Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis!

And if the team can still add Herm Edwards, possibly as an additional coach to the defensive backs which is really his strong suit, that would be fantastic imo. Likely in the same role as Leslie Frazier had when he was here in '05 and '06, Assistant head coach/secondary coach. Although that would mean replacing Rod Perry, who is in that role (or very similar to) since joining the Colts in '07 after they lost Frazier.

RCAChainGang
01-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Alright. I'm gonna be honest.

What peices of the coaching staff are missing?

So much has happened I have lost track on everything. Thanks.

Geo
01-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Colts still have yet to hire a new defensive coordinator and special teams coach. Perhaps they decided to wait until after the Senior Bowl, to then finalize things.

Former DC Ron Meeks and ST coach Russ Purnell have been hired by Carolina and Jacksonville (hah), respectively.

Also, re: Herm Edwards, honestly I don't see him coming to the Colts ... at least for this upcoming season. Why take an assistant-type job in 2009 when he would get paid $3M by the Chiefs for not coaching? It doesn't make sense, right? That's probably more money than Coach Caldwell is making per year, if he's in the 4 years/11.5M range like other first-time coaches (which I very much suspect he is).

chad72
01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
OK folks, here is the trend.

No SD, No Pitt, playing the entire AFC East and the Broncos in the regular season, let us see what has happened when all these happened together in the years since the NFL division re-alignment for the Colts:

2003 - No SD, No Pitt, Played the Broncos, and played the entire AFC East in the regular season, went to AFCCG and lost to Patriots

2006 - No SD, No Pitt, Played the Broncos, and played the entire AFC East in the regular season, went to AFCCG and beat the Patriots, won SB

2009 - No SD, No Pitt, will play the Broncos, and will play the entire AFC East in the regular season, will go to AFCCG and play the Patriots (most likely:) ), who wins??? The Patriots game on Nov.1 (possibly) could be a deciding factor for home field advantage in the AFCCG???

Geo
01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Hah, that's interesting. Let's hope we talk about 2009 along with 2006 for years to come. Like my sig says, I believe. Although the offensive line better get back to '03 and '06 form for that to happen.

I'm excited about Coach Caldwell taking over. Tony Dungy put this team in position to win every game, but you wonder if he couldn't have put them in better positions at times (especially the playoffs) and whether he made the best of coaching staff decisions.

A fresh start with a qualified new coach can be a good thing, look no further than Mike Tomlin taking the Pittsburgh Steelers to Super Bowl XLIII.

Although the best part of Dungy being here was that he had his hands on the young defense. Caldwell is an offensive guy, he needs a good defensive coordinator. Caldwell is likely taking Dungy's advice, that you don't rush into hiring your coaching staff for the sake of having it done, rather you try and find the right guys even if it means waiting some. If it's Larry Coyer, I think he would be a good pick, but if it's someone else, so be it.

Geo
01-27-2009, 10:48 AM
PFW says punter Hunter Smith will be a free agent, as he's reached incentives that have voided the final season (2009) of his contract. (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/Free+Agency/2008/listbypos.htm) I've seen this elsewhere, not just PFW, although can't say 100 percent for sure.

But assuming it's true, which I am ... on pure needs, I would put Punter at the top of the list heading into the offseason (read: Draft). Because of the Colts don't have one heading into the next season.

Of course that doesn't mean the Colts will draft a punter with the 1st round pick, they can wait on that. But I'm sure they will draft a guy sometime on Day Two and also add an UDFA to have the two compete.

Edit: Looks like Freddy Keiaho is a restricted right free agent as well (http://ind.scout.com/2/833935.html), likely in a similar scenario with incentives voiding the final year.

I've updated my thoughts on this free agency/offseason post (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1405883&postcount=4), for anyone curious.

chad72
01-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Ever since the NFL division re-alignment starting 2002, the SB champ never came from the division that played the AFC West in its entirety. Only 1 year did a team that played the AFC West went to the Super Bowl, and that was an AFC West team itself, the Raiders in 2002.:)

You can check it out. The worst years for the Pats in the Brady era came in 2002 (did not make the playoffs), 2005 (lost in divisional round to Broncos), and now 2008 (lose Brady and do not make the playoffs), they played the entire AFC West all those years. This year, the Panthers were a SB pick at the beginning of the year but deep in my gut, I was thinking, what about the AFC West jinx? Next year, count out the NFC East teams and the AFC North teams (Steelers etc.) to get to the SB:) since they play the entire AFC West. Maybe, it is the West coast trips, IDK.

Of course, it did help that in 2006, the SB was played in Miami just like it will be in 2009 and the year before the Colts won, the Steelers won. Let us see how this SB between the Steelers and Cardinals goes.

Geo
01-27-2009, 11:28 PM
http://www.charleston.net/news/2009/jan/27/gamecocks_lose_another_assistant_football_coach/

http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/story/665071.html

Rychleski has been mentioned as the potential hire for two weeks now, if you recall, but apparently it all didn't finalize until recently.

He was the special teams & tight ends coach for South Carolina last year, before that he did a fantastic job as ST & TE coach at Maryland from 2001-2006, where he helped develop some pro prospects in the league today. Before that, Rychleski was an assistant coach (including ST the last two years) at Wake Forest from 1993-2000, under head coach ... Jim Caldwell. So obviously Caldwell has experience with Rychleski and wants him to coach his special teams unit again.

I like the hire, especially as the chances of him being better than Purnell are very good. But the fact that he's worked with college kids, could prove beneficial as most if not every special teams player he works with will be relatively young, guys playing on their rookie contract.

Wootylicous
01-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Well Sam giguere signed a three year deal with you guys. I'm pretty happy for him and will look forward to see him progress in a Colts uni next season. Hopefully! :P

chad72
02-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Could they not agree to terms with Larry Coyer for making him our new DC yet? Or are they trying to sway Herm Edwards for DC still?

Would Romeo Crennel make a good DC even though he has primarily coached a 3-4, he is a good defensive mind and the Pats have not dominated the Colts defensively ever since he left them?

Geo
02-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I am positive the Colts will hire a defensive coordinator ... before training camp. :p

Kidding aside though, I think you can expect the Colts to have made their hires and announce the new additions to the staff by the end of the next week. If not maybe by this time next week, or the end of this week even.

They'll get it squared away before the Combine, which starts two weeks from today (yay).

As long as the Colts get a great defensive coordinator, it's worth the wait. They've got to find a guy who can replace Tony Dungy, because he was really the brains of the defensive operation.

a-dub83
02-06-2009, 10:24 AM
well it's official, Coyer is our new DC

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=167c6c3f-cf93-4e1d-9acc-9a91f0a4031d

Geo
02-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Good to hear. He's a proven guy with experience, and I think he'll work well with our team.

I'm also excited about Rychleski as the team's new ST coach.

RCAChainGang
02-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Good to hear. He's a proven guy with experience, and I think he'll work well with our team.

I'm also excited about Rychleski as the team's new ST coach.

What's the resumť on these guys?
What can we expect to see?

Geo
02-07-2009, 05:40 PM

Clark's last two years:
I forgot to get back to this, but my feeling is that Clark can put up better numbers if he gets increased opportunities. Which I think will be the case once the team does part ways with Harrison, if that is this offseason or next or whenever. Can he break 1k yards? That's tough, but I think he can and might do so next year with the easier schedule.

Keep an eye for him in your fantasy leagues, I'd say. I am.

Geo
02-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Colts sign 2008 Draft prospect P Mike Dragosavich. (http://www.indystar.com/article/20090212/SPORTS03/902120425/1004/SPORTS)

Good start. Next let Hunter Smith walk in free agency imo and then maybe draft a punter late.

diabsoule
02-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Colts | Likely will place franchise tag on Hayden
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:40:54 -0800

Mike Chappell, of The Indianapolis Star, reports Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian said the team likely will place the franchise tag on impending free-agent CB Kelvin Hayden if they are not able to agree on a new contract.

killxswitch
02-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Colts | Likely will place franchise tag on Hayden
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:40:54 -0800

Mike Chappell, of The Indianapolis Star, reports Indianapolis Colts president Bill Polian said the team likely will place the franchise tag on impending free-agent CB Kelvin Hayden if they are not able to agree on a new contract.

Dangerous. Suppose they don't come to an agreement AND no one offers enough in a trade for him? The Colts are $9 million poorer and we can forget about keeping any of our other vets.

Geo
02-13-2009, 10:03 AM
1. There are Tampa 2 teams with loads of money, like Detroit and Tampa, that could certainly use a starter like Hayden.

2. Crazy deals to guys like Chris Gamble and Corey Webster recently, even though Hayden may not play as much man coverage. Iím sure they are in his agentís head.

I have to say, I really got my hopes up given what Polian was saying about re-signing Hayden earlier. Maybe we all got ahead of ourselves.

Although Polian says he might franchise tag Hayden, I'm not sure I buy it 100 percent. I donít doubt he wants to re-sign Hayden, I definitely think he does, but to spend that much Ö Iím a bit leery. Heís basically getting it out there as part of his negotiations, telling the agent to take the deal now in case Hayden gets injured yet again as a franchised player and risk losing money long-term.

Of course, if Hayden hits the open market, I think he gets a big deal. Although this whole hubbub has me thinking Polian could be giving him a big deal too, heís an ace at drafting but the man has a habit of overpaying for players. It is what it is, you live it and just hope guys can play well. At this point I expect, if Hayden is re-signed, that itís a big deal to the point of overpayment.

It's no secret I am a big fan of Hayden and Jackson, they one of the best starting corner duos in the league imo and I'd love to keep having them with the Colts.

But ultimately, I suppose there's only so much you can spend on a corner in this defense. Heck, the 2008 Colts made NFL history giving up only 6 passing TDs, with only 10 games from Hayden and 7 games from Jackson.

Geo
02-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Which creates cap space for this year, as this one big roster bonus can now (for the sake of salary cap charges) be prorated in equal installments over the next five years.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090213/SPORTS03/902130338

On the positive side, the Colts have eased some cap concerns by converting an $8.2 million roster bonus due to tight end Dallas Clark into a prorated signing bonus that lowered his cap figure from $13.3 million to $7.4 million. The team plans to do similar bookkeeping with a roster bonus due to safety Bob Sanders that will lower his '09 cap by $4 million.

MaxV
02-13-2009, 11:37 AM
I think this situation will be resolved.

I'll be surprised if Kelvin isn't in the Colts' uniform next season.

Geo
02-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Maybe this proves to belong in the Draft thread, but it's general at the moment so I'll put it here.

From a recent article in which Clayton talks about the upcoming Combine (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3910452):

Q: Could you please convince the Colts that a great defense has consistency in the middle? If the Colts are going to keep relying on smaller, more athletic players at LB, why don't they switch to a 3-4 scheme? I'm becoming disheartened with a defense that can't maintain the offense's lead and close out games.

From J.J. in Indianapolis

A: Trust me on this, J.J., the Colts will make every effort to get bigger in the middle of their defensive line. They will remain a Cover 2 defense, but the organization realizes the league isn't calling holding penalties. Being undersized at defensive tackle becomes a big problem if guards and centers can hold without getting a flag. Larry Coyer is a solid defensive coordinator. I suspect the Colts will try to add a coverage cornerback. The good news is that the team doesn't stand to lose much talent in free agency. The Colts don't need a Pittsburgh-caliber defense to go to the Super Bowl. They just need a good defense.

killxswitch
02-17-2009, 06:53 AM
That isn't the first time Clayton has said definitively that the Colts will a.) get bigger in the middle, and b.) sign or draft a coverage corner.

That is exciting to me. I don't think we're going to pick up Asomugha or anything stupid like that (Colts have no money) but a number of DTs in this draft would help immediately in the middle, and there are other CBs available in free agency that are better than Hayden if things don't go well with his agent.

chad72
02-17-2009, 02:14 PM
there are other CBs available in free agency that are better than Hayden if things don't go well with his agent.

I have always liked Jabari Greer, a good zone coverage corner with the Bills, and good tackler too, a playmaker just like Hayden.

Geo
02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
The only guy that I'd really say that about is Nnamdi Asomugha, and the Raiders aren't letting him go. Not to mention he'll get paid way more, he'll eventually become the highest-paid corner in NFL history (until someone down the line tops him).

Dunta Robinson, I would have said was better in 2007. But then he suffered a serious knee/leg injury that year, and Hayden has continued to improve since then. It's close, I'd probably go with Hayden because he's more consistent and Robinson will cost more money to sign.

Other than that though, there's no free agent I'd take over Hayden. In terms of guys signed this year, I'd absolutely take Hayden over Chris Gamble. Corey Webster is a pretty good player for the Giants, he fits what they do like Hayden does for the Colts. That's kind of a push, I guess.

That is how I feel about it, anyway.

Edit: If we're talking about being more cost-effective, ie. more value per the dollar, than that likely brings in more candidates, yes.

IndyColtScout
02-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Colts won't sign anyone.

We will turnover spots through the draft with rookies.

I know its not a dream duo but Jennings and Rat (if re-signed) won 9 straight games as starters. Add a healthy Jackson to that mix and hopefully improved Hughes and would should be better than people are expecting.

We have lost our starting CB's a number of times. Hayden is probably the most talented of that group if he leaves but I still think he's replaceable.

We need to get two big boys that still have quickness. 290-310 range.

I think we will be fine cause the core talent is still here.

I expect the draft to look like this:

1st round- BPA except K, P, QB; I am going to guess OL.
2nd round- CB
3rd round- DT
4th round- DE
5th round- CB
6th round- S
7th round- DT

Geo
02-18-2009, 09:40 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/cb-hayden-colts-strike-five-year-43-million-deal/

CB Hayden, Colts strike five-year, $43 million deal
Posted: February 18th, 2009 | Adam Schefter

The Indianapolis Colts, a team struggling to find salary-cap space, uncovered enough Wednesday night to sign free-agent-to-be CB Kelvin Hayden.

Hayden, who helped the Colts win Super Bowl XLI three years ago, reached an agreement with the team on a five-year, $43 million contract that includes $22.5 million in guaranteed money.

Colts president Bill Polian had said his team would designate Hayden as its franchise player if it couldnít reach a long-term deal with him. But after extensive talks, the two sides hammered out a deal that will be signed by Thursday.

Now, another top cornerback has been taken off the market and there is less salary-cap space for WR Marvin Harrison in Indianapolis.
Basically, it's the same terms overall as the Giants signed Corey Webster to two months or so ago, 43.5 over 5. Webster had 20 guaranteed, Hayden has 22.5 guaranteed.

It's a lot of jack. If you had asked me before this season or probably even during if I would pay that much, I would have said no.

But as we've come closer to free agency, surprisingly I've become more amenable to it and accepted this as soon as I read it. I love Hayden, he's the best corner this franchise has had in a LONG while. Polian loves the guy too, I'm sure he reminds him (and me) of Antoine Winfield who is one of his favorite players in the league.

It's a whole lot of money, but I can live with it. I think highly of Hayden and his ability as a cornerback in this league, so there's a chance he could be worth it in full if he keeps improving like he has.

The biggest problem might be that this may all but ensure Marlin Jackson isn't re-signed which bums me out. I love having him on the team too, as a duo with Hayden, so we'll see what happens.

RagingColt
02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Pretty pleased by this deal. Hayden with Sanders and Bullit gives us a stong nucleus in the secondary for the next few years. I'm guessing we pick up another CB in the draft. I'd bet your right geo in that we don't resign Jackson which is a bummer.

Some teams sign other team's players who are slowing down while the Colts invest in players they already know about. It's a winning formula that is hard to argue with. I can't pick one Colt that we have resigned to a long term deal who did not live up to the contract. Even Marvin played well until two years ago.

a-dub83
02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/harrisons-indy-days-are-done/

Everyone keeps focusing on WR Terrell OwensĎ future with the Cowboys. But the more pressing issues surround Colts WR Marvin Harrison.

Itís no longer a question of if Harrison, 36, will be let go. It has become a question of when. It will happen in the coming days, certainly before the new league year starts a week from Friday, but few are sure exactly when.

But make no mistake: It is happening. The Colts no longer can afford to carry Harrison, who is scheduled to have a $13.4 million number for an Indianapolis team that is starving for more salary-cap room to deal with free-agents-to-be such as CB Kelvin Hayden.

If the Colts were to release Harrison, his $13.4 million number instantly would come off the books, saving the team $7 million against the cap. Harrison still would count $6.4 million in dead money, but more importantly, there would be the $7 million savings.

Plus, the Colts have been bracing for this day, drafting Anthony Gonzalez in the first round and grooming young WRs Roy Hall and Pierre Garcon.

The Coltsí first-round draft pick in 1996, Harrison will finish his Indianapolis career with 1,102 catches for 14,580 yards and 128 touchdowns.

It was a great career. The last chapter soon will be written.

Geo
02-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Pretty pleased by this deal. Hayden with Sanders and Bullit gives us a stong nucleus in the secondary for the next few years. I'm guessing we pick up another CB in the draft. I'd bet your right geo in that we don't resign Jackson which is a bummer.

Some teams sign other team's players who are slowing down while the Colts invest in players they already know about. It's a winning formula that is hard to argue with. I can't pick one Colt that we have resigned to a long term deal who did not live up to the contract. Even Marvin played well until two years ago.
A lot of good points here, RG.

1. I just realized the two best defensive backs in the Hit Squad defense, Sanders and Hayden, are now signed through at least 2012. That's awesome.

2. Let's see what happens with Jackson. I love the guy, but I think you could say he's more of a Cover 2 corner than Hayden is so maybe that brings his price down enough.

3. Plus, if there is no new CBA by next offseason, the best news is that Jackson will be a RFA instead of a UFA. The Colts could sign him to a one-year tender for 2010 for less than 1.5M.

4. I'd much rather spend this money on Hayden than on someone like Albert Haynesworth. Like you say RG, we and the Colts know Hayden is committed to the team and to winning, that he's a hard worker. He hasn't even turned 26 yet, his best football is ahead of him. The guy played corner two years of his life before the pros, his senior season at Illinois and as a freshman in high school.

Obviously, it's too bad the Colts didn't lock up Hayden earlier at a cheaper price. Some teams do that, but for whatever the reason(s), the Colts never do.

RagingColt
02-19-2009, 01:27 PM
With Hayden signed now, the focus imo comes down to signing Saturday to a deal. I think even a one year deal/franchise tag would be a good thing so he can help teach Richard and Pollack another year. The line plays better with him than without him. Others would say it's Harrison who must be the focus, but I disagree. The Offense has shown over the past two seasons that it can play at a very high level even without Marvin. Gonzo I really believe can be a #2 receiver for the Colts next year.

Geo
02-19-2009, 01:36 PM
I think from this point, if a free agent (Colts' players included) is going to sign with the Colts, he will have to take less money to do it. Take it or leave it, basically.

The one guy I'd like to sign is Dom Rhodes, although if Edge or Fred Taylor come at a similar price, I would take them instead. Also JJ Arrington, who I've always liked and thought would do well for the Colts, I'd rather have him. But I wouldn't spend a lot on the #2 RB, so whoever is willing to accept that price, so be it.

If you want to win a Super Bowl and get a ring, this is your chance.

chad72
02-19-2009, 02:51 PM
If Marvin, even after being cut, is going to count $5-6 mil. towards the Colts cap for the remainder of his contract, then why not try and re-structure his deal to that very amount and see if he is willing to do that?

If no negotiations are done, either BP feels that Marvin cannot gain separation from DBs consistently like he used to or BP feels that Gonzo is more than ready to take Marvin's spot (which I think he is) and is pleased with Garcon/Tamme as our 3rd WR/2nd TE receiving options.

RCAChainGang
02-20-2009, 12:30 AM
So is Marvin going into Free Agency or is he going to retire?

Do we know?

EDIT: T.J Houshmanzadeh

Is he a possible prospect for us?
I know we are tight on money, but I'm sure Manning would love to have him aboard.
Is that even a remote possibility?

Geo
02-20-2009, 08:38 AM
I expect Houshmandzadeh to get PAID by some team that has money and wants a veteran wide receiver. Devery Henderson of the Saints could be a legit deep threat - which the Colts might be looking for, if they move on from Harrison - but he might sign a good contract for him too.

There's more money out there than quality free agents, plus as you say RCA, not much money to spend for the Colts.

A situation that bears watching imo:

Lance Moore of the Saints is a RFA. The Saints will absolutely tender him but let's see what level of tender/compensation they do offer him, as the team is currently pressed against the cap. The 1st round tender costs $2.198M, yet the 2nd round tender costs $1.545M. And if they are dead-set on signing Jonathan Vilma ... well a team might swoop in and easily sign Moore to an offer sheet than the Saints won't/can't match, at maybe only the cost of a 2nd round pick.

Geo
02-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Btw February 26 is the deadline for teams to submit their offers for restricted free agents and exclusive rights free agents. For the Colts:

RFAs
OL Dan Federkiel
LB Freddy Keiaho

ERFAs
RB Lance Ball
LB Buster Davis
DT Daniel Muir

killxswitch
02-20-2009, 09:08 AM
I hope they find a way to get rid of Buster Davis. I don't know the rules on exclusive rights free agents though.

Geo
02-20-2009, 09:18 AM
He doesn't need to be cut, they just have to not offer him a minimum salary (even though it's pretty cheap) next year. That's it.

And I definitely agree about the team moving on from him.

Hopefully they sign Muir though, again ERFAs get signed to the minimum and I would look forward to seeing him compete in training camp and the preseason.

RCAChainGang
02-21-2009, 11:31 PM
I was pleased with Muir's success. I also would like to see him get re-signed.

Buster Davis just never worked out. He is annoying to watch and I don't have any desire to see him as a Colt. Especially after he celebrates when he's the tenth guy to help on a gang tackle... comon!

Dam8610
02-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Btw February 26 is the deadline for teams to submit their offers for restricted free agents and exclusive rights free agents. For the Colts:

RFAs
OL Dan Federkiel
LB Freddy Keiaho

ERFAs
RB Lance Ball
LB Buster Davis
DT Daniel Muir

I'm really hoping Polian pulls a Jason David with Keiaho, not much to lose there IMO. I think Session would make a better WLB and should be starting there next year, with Wheeler manning the SLB spot, which would leave Keiaho on the bench. As a mid tender guy, he wouldn't be an expensive backup in the worst case, but maybe the Colts would get lucky as they did with Jason David and get a 3rd round pick out of him.

As for the ERFAs, I'm in agreement with you guys, get rid of Buster Davis and keep the other two, at least for camp. Lance Ball impressed me against the Titans, even if it was one game against mostly backups, he should at least get a shot at the roster IMO.

Seamus2602
02-22-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm really hoping Polian pulls a Jason David with Keiaho, not much to lose there IMO. I think Session would make a better WLB and should be starting there next year, with Wheeler manning the SLB spot, which would leave Keiaho on the bench. As a mid tender guy, he wouldn't be an expensive backup in the worst case, but maybe the Colts would get lucky as they did with Jason David and get a 3rd round pick out of him.

As for the ERFAs, I'm in agreement with you guys, get rid of Buster Davis and keep the other two, at least for camp. Lance Ball impressed me against the Titans, even if it was one game against mostly backups, he should at least get a shot at the roster IMO.

I completely disagree with your point about Keiaho. I personally think that he was our best Linebacker this year. While I do think that Philip Wheeler will see more playing time this year, especially if Coyer's more blitz friendly system is put into place, he isn't a starter, in my opinion. What Indy really need to do for the Weakside, instead of playing Session, is to either draft Baby Animal, if he falls to us in the 1st, or someone like Marcus Freeman in the 2nd.

In terms of the ERFA, the only point I would make is that you don't get penalised for cutting league minimums. Resign Davis for a Camp spot as he actually started a few games last year when Brackett was hurt. If he doesn't work out then cut away and I would say the same about any of the other ERFAs this year.

Geo
02-22-2009, 10:43 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/22/harrison-asks-colts-to-release-him/

Harrison asks Colts to release him
Posted: February 22nd, 2009 | Adam Schefter

After the two sides couldnít agree on a restructured contract, WR Marvin Harrison asked the Colts to release him, a league source said Sunday night.

As much as the team would rather not ó and Colts president Bill Polian acknowledged Sunday that itís a tricky situation ó Harrison is a luxury that Indianapolis can no longer afford.

Now that Harrison has declined to restructure his contract, the Colts have little choice but to let him and his $13.4 million salary-cap number go. It will mark the end of an illustrious 13-year career in Indianapolis, where Harrison and QB Peyton Manning formed one of the greatest quarterback-receiver tandems in NFL history.

Already the speculation about where Harrison will land is beginning. For starters, Harrison is determined to continue playing. A logical landing spot would be the receiver-needy Philadelphia Eagles, where Harrison would be reunited with his former Syracuse teammate, QB Donovan McNabb, while getting to play in the city where he lives.
The sooner, the better imo.

steelernation77
02-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Does Jeff Saturday still have some game left in him? He says he wants to play for the Steelers and is willing to play guard.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_613269.html

killxswitch
02-25-2009, 07:39 AM
Saturday on the Steelers would be good for him since he'd be playing on a winning team again. He would instantly improve your line from what I saw last year. Despite his age and the injuries last year. For most of his career he's been durable, and he proved his toughness by coming back both times he got injured when it was speculated he would have to have surgery. He is a team first guy.

Geo
02-25-2009, 09:46 AM
The Colts officially cut Harrison yesterday.

Seamus2602
02-25-2009, 02:36 PM
In the same way they quickly brought Dominic Rhodes back last year, what chances do you think of the Colts bringing back Cato June after he was released by Tampa Bay today?

killxswitch
02-25-2009, 02:41 PM
In the same way they quickly brought Dominic Rhodes back last year, what chances do you think of the Colts bringing back Cato June after he was released by Tampa Bay today?

It depends on whether or not he has learned how to tackle a running back. I don't think the Colts will be interested.

Geo
02-25-2009, 02:43 PM
I hate that loser and don't want to see him back. A linebacker who can't tackle.

Maurice Jones-Drew would love to see it, so he can break some more 40-plus-yard TD runs.

Geo
02-25-2009, 04:38 PM
Does Jeff Saturday still have some game left in him? He says he wants to play for the Steelers and is willing to play guard.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_613269.html
He can play for the Pittsburgh Steelers or the Pittsburgh Pirates for all I care. It's time to move on.

psulion21
02-25-2009, 07:03 PM
cutting harrison and then using some of our cap room to resign june i would consider to be somewhat of a slap in the face hes not worth it

killxswitch
02-26-2009, 08:02 AM
That $4 million cap increase really helps us out.

Geo
02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Sure does, the cap now being $127M.

According to Coltscap.net, this plus $6M from cutting Harrison and $6.56M from converting Dallas Clark's '09 roster bonus to a signing bonus (so it can be spread over the next 5 years), should all help give the Colts over $14M in cap space.

Keep in mind that the team will need around $4M to sign their draft picks, so that brings it down to $10M.

$1M or less to sign a veteran runningback, now it's $9M.

There's the $1M RFA qualifying offer to Freddy Keiaho. Is he worth it? Well ... I guess the team would pay it. But if they didn't offer him that and let him become an unrestricted free agent, who knows, maybe they re-sign him at a cheaper price. We'll find out today if they tender that offer, because today is the deadline to do that for RFAs. Let's just say yes, now it's $8M.

And you want to keep some breathing space for the team during a season, just in case if you need to sign someone or take on a salary. If injuries strike you hard at a position, for example. Let's say $6.5M in breathing room, similar to last year.

So that likely leaves $1.5M to potentially spend on additional free agent(s) if they so choose. Maybe that is Jeff Saturday, maybe it's Tyjuan Hagler, maybe a wide receiver? The only way they can get a guy cheap enough is if they sign a older veteran WR who will come cheap for one year so that he can play for a ring and also for a contract somewhere else next offseason. Joey Galloway who still might be pretty fast, also Bobby Engram and David Givens, those are a few guys off the top of my head. Except Polian doesn't sign guys that old, so we'll see. Could be no one.

Seamus2602
02-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Geo, according to my calculations, which mightn't be completely accurate, Indy, even after raising the Salary Cap to $127 Million, cutting Marvin Harrison and restructuring Dallas Clark's contract, are only like $6 Million over the cap. I'll post up a breakdown of the Cap Numbers. Maybe I've gone wrong some where:-

(Amounts are in $1,000,000)

2008 Incentives -$2.9
Dead Cap $7.5

18 - Peyton Manning $21.2
12 - Jim Sorgi $1.3

29 - Joseph Addai $1.7
30 - Clifton Dawson $0.5
32 - Mike Hart $0.4
35 - Chad Simpson $0.4

87 - Reggie Wayne $7.4
11 - Anthony Gonzalez $1.3
83 - Roy Hall $0.5
85 - Pierre GarÁon $0.4
14 - Samuel GiguŤre $0.3
6 - Taj Smith $0.3

44 - Dallas Clark $7.1
47 - Gijon Robinson $0.4
86 - Tom Santi $0.4
84 - Jacob Tamme $0.5
80 - Jamie Petrowski $0.4

71 - Ryan Diem $6.1
67 - Tony Ugoh $0.9
75 - Michael Toudouze $0.4
72 - Corey Hilliard $0.5

65 - Ryan Lilja $4.4
78 - Mike Pollak $0.7
74 - Charlie Johnson $0.6
61 - Jamey Richard $0.4

53 - Steve Justice $0.4

93 - Dwight Freeney $11.2
98 - Robert Mathis $6.9
79 - Raheem Brock $5.3
92 - Marcus Howard $0.4
94 - Curtis Johnson $0.4

96 - Keyunta Dawson $0.5
68 - Eric Foster $0.4
99 - Antonio Johnson $0.4

58 - Gary Brackett $3.1

55 - Clint Session $0.6
50 - Philip Wheeler $0.5
59 - Rufus Alexander $0.4
51 - Jordan Senn $0.4
62 - Michael Okwo $0.3

26 - Kelvin Hayden $5.7
28 - Marlin Jackson $4.8
23 - Tim Jennings $0.8
34 - TJ Rushing $0.5
20 - Dante Hughes $0.6
25 - Michael Coe $0.5
42 - Nick Graham $0.5
39 - Brandon Foster $0.3

21 - Bob Sanders $7.0
41 - Antoine Bethea $0.5
33 - Melvin Bullitt $0.5
40 - Jamie Silva $0.4
37 - Brannon Condren $0.5
36 - Brandon Sumrall $0.3
NA - Travis Key $0.3

4 - Adam Vinatieri $2.7
48 - Justin Snow $0.8
8 - Mike Dragosavich $0.3

Total = $121.0

Cap Room =$6.0

Seamus2602
02-26-2009, 11:32 AM
What Indy are going to need to do to have any form of stability this season in the Cap is to restructure both Peyton Manning and Bob Sanders Contracts. Restructuring Manning's contract could potentially save between $2.5 and 3.8 Million while converting Bob Sanders' Roster Bonus to a Signing Bonus will gain $3.75 Million in Cap. That is at least an extra $6.25 Million and will give the Franchsie a bit more freedom in the Offseason.

Geo
02-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Seamus, kudos on putting the figures together. Maybe you're right, I really don't know.

I don't have a clue to the exact number myself, like I said all I did was take the total cost from Coltscap.net (123.53) but figured the Harrison release (-6) and the Clark bonus conversion (-6.56). And then accounted for Keiaho (1.01) later on as noted.

I know Polian said that converting Sanders' roster bonus is an option, but I never got word if he actually went through on that.

I don't have a problem with Peyton Manning's contract imo, because to me he's worth every penny. Although if the last two years of his contract are voided, which I read somewhere they might, if they go ahead and sign a new 6-to-8-year deal now then that's just gravy for me.

killxswitch
02-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Tenders for Muir and Ball - http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/2009_02_26_Colts_make_1-year_offers_to_Daniel_Muir__Lance_Ball/srvc=home&position=recent

But not for Keiaho.

Geo
02-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, those two guys are exclusive right free agents. Basically it's up to the Colts to offer them a minimum salary, which they did, and another NFL team can't sign either of these guys to an offer sheet afterwards. Think of it as a cheap rookie contract that goes year-by-year. Not sure why the article writer called them restricted free agents, which they are not.

To be a RFA, a player currently has to have accrue 3 seasons in the NFL. 0, 1, or 2 seasons, you are an ERFA. Examples are Ed Johnson last offseason, and now Danny Muir and Lance Ball this offseason.

Btw, good move by the Colts. Both guys show some promise, and why not offer the ERFA minimum if they contribute this season. I like it.

As for Keiaho, it's interesting. His play has reportedly voided the last year of his rookie contract, so he's become a RFA. To be honest the more I think about, the more I'm okay with not giving him a RFA tender and letting him become an UFA. $1M seems too much and I kind of doubt there will be a market for him, so I would let him hit the open market and try to sign him to say a 2-year deal worth 1.5M, for example. That's more fair, and it gives Keiaho an opportunity to continue developing and look better so that he can sign a bigger contract in two years.

Geo
02-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Looks like you did a spot-on job, Seamus. Way to go.

Colts have $6.6M in cap space, per Adam Schefter. (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/26/tampa-bay-working-with-most-salary-cap-space/)

a-dub83
02-26-2009, 06:51 PM
We just signed the biggest FA we could have in Jeff Saturday. Our O-line played poorly, and hot having Jeff was a part of it.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090226/SPORTS03/90226054

Geo
02-26-2009, 07:02 PM
I was prepared to move on, but if he came cheap enough, I'll be glad to Saturday stay. With him at center, the offense keeps rolling. Peyton won't have to handle as much of the protection calls and can just focus on attacking defenses and audibles. The offensive unit can go more no-huddle hopefully.

Just waiting to see the exact figures though.

psulion21
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Bringing back saturday is huge i was nervous when i heard rumors of him wanting to play in pitt

RCAChainGang
02-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Jeff and Peyton have great chemistry and I definately think this was the right move. Saturday is the core leader of our offensive line.

RCAChainGang
02-27-2009, 08:44 AM

Thats a good point, but to be honest he I don't see us doing that with Cato. He was a good linebacker but lacked the right tackling skills. We will shape our new guys Keiaho, Session ect.

Geo
02-27-2009, 09:49 AM
I heard that the Colts signed Saturday for 3 years, $13.3M. Can anyone confirm that? Because that is way too much money for me, ugh ugh ugh. But what's done is done at least, sigh ... let's just hope Saturday helps the Colts win more Super Bowls.

The rest of the Colts' free agency news: (http://www.1070thefan.com/insider/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10023781)

This morning, the Colts also released some new information. LB Freddy Keiaho may have been a casualty of Saturday's deal. Keiaho, who has started all 25 games he's played in over the last 2 seasons, was due to be a restricted free agent, but was not offered a tender. He becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Here is the list of the other unrestricted free agents:
DB-Matt Giordano RB-Dominic Rhodes
LB-Tyjuan Hagler P-Hunter Smith
DB-Keiwan Ratliff DE-Josh Thomas
DE-Darrell Reid

The Colts also announced the free agent or waiver additions of the following players since the end of the 2008 season (some of them were on the roster at times last season, or the practice squad): LB-Rufus Alexander, DB-Brannon Condren, P-Mike Dragosavich (waiver claim), DB-Brandon Foster, WR-Sam Giguere, OT-Corey Hilliard, DB-Travis Key, LB-Michael Okwo, TE-Jamie Petrowski, WR-Taj Smith, DB-Brandon Sumrall.

The Colts also offered tenders to the following Exclusive Rights Free Agents: running back Lance Ball, linebacker Buster Davis and defensive tackle Daniel Muir.
Good call on Keiaho, he's not worth 1M. And I'll be surprised if there's much interest for him on the open market, so maybe he comes back at a more reasonable price. Or maybe Tyjuan Hagler. I would like Dom Rhodes back too.

If there's any cash left after spending on Saturday, meh.

Seamus2602
02-27-2009, 10:10 AM
It is a bit hard to tell where the Cap is at the moment. Without including Jeff Saturday’s Cap Hit for this year, the Colts are about $5.6 Million under the Cap when you take out the ERFA signings. As Geo has point out already, the Colts will need about $4 Million to sign the Rookies they draft this year, so at a conservative estimate, the Colts have about $1.6 Million in the Cap before resigning Jeff Saturday.

Saturday’s agent has stated that the new contract makes Jeff Saturday one of the top paid Centres in the league. With Saturday being $13.3 Million over the 3, it probably puts his Cap hit this year at about $3.5 Million. It puts the Franchise about $1.9 Million in the Red, without resigning any of the other Free Agents like Rhodes or Keiaho.

As I said earlier, the Franchise can claw back about $7 Million by redoing Bob Sanders and Peyton Manning’s contracts so we could see about $6 Million in cap to resign those players.

I still can’t see all of them coming back. I think Rhodes will be brought back, Federkeil hopefully won’t be.

I would like to see Josh Thomas back but he apparently wants to start, so the a possible move may be to bring back Josh Thomas but cut Raheem Brock. Cutting Brock will gain back about $1.1 Million in Cap Room, more than enough to resign Josh Thomas. I think the Franchise will decide whether they want Brock or Thomas.

Darrell Reid won’t be brought back as he just isn’t worth it and the Colts don’t like players who get into off the field antics.

I think either Freddie Keiaho or Tyjuan Hagler will be brought back, but not both of them. I think one of them will be replaced by a Day 1 draft pick. If Hagler returns then they will draft a Sam, if Keiaho returns they will draft a Will.

Ratliff might be back, as he provided good cover when both Hayden and Jackson were injured, while I don’t believe Giordano will be retained.

The last difficult decision is over Hunter Smith. I personally think he will cost too much money at such cap strained times and he should be wished well and let go.

Geo
02-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Re: linebacker, maybe the Colts go ahead right now and move back Session to WLB and Philip Wheeler takes over at SLB? Two young and physical guys, with good size, on the outside.

And Brackett in the middle, of course. Although next year he'll be a free agent and 30 years old.

Seamus2602
02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Geo, that is a possibility, especially with Wheeler, who is a more Larry Coyer stile Linebacker than anything the Colts currently have, but I still think that Session can be upgraded. Session, in my opinion, is a good, solid backup Linebacker but I think we can get a better Starter.

On the Gary Brackett issue, this is one of the big reasons that I am praying that Baby Animal falls to us. The Colts draft Laurinaitis at the bottom of the 1st and he plays Will Linebacker this year and can move to Mike next year.

Dam8610
03-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I for one don't like bringing Saturday back, especially not at that price. He's shown decline over the past two seasons, and IMO is going to be a shell of his former self over the life of this contract, which seems like rewarding past performance in the present to me, something that can't be afforded in the salary cap era. Maybe this is a sign that the Colts think the cap is going to go away?

It is a bit hard to tell where the Cap is at the moment. Without including Jeff Saturday’s Cap Hit for this year, the Colts are about $5.6 Million under the Cap when you take out the ERFA signings. As Geo has point out already, the Colts will need about $4 Million to sign the Rookies they draft this year, so at a conservative estimate, the Colts have about $1.6 Million in the Cap before resigning Jeff Saturday.

Saturday’s agent has stated that the new contract makes Jeff Saturday one of the top paid Centres in the league. With Saturday being $13.3 Million over the 3, it probably puts his Cap hit this year at about $3.5 Million. It puts the Franchise about $1.9 Million in the Red, without resigning any of the other Free Agents like Rhodes or Keiaho.

As I said earlier, the Franchise can claw back about $7 Million by redoing Bob Sanders and Peyton Manning’s contracts so we could see about $6 Million in cap to resign those players.

I still can’t see all of them coming back. I think Rhodes will be brought back, Federkeil hopefully won’t be.

I would like to see Josh Thomas back but he apparently wants to start, so the a possible move may be to bring back Josh Thomas but cut Raheem Brock. Cutting Brock will gain back about $1.1 Million in Cap Room, more than enough to resign Josh Thomas. I think the Franchise will decide whether they want Brock or Thomas.

Darrell Reid won’t be brought back as he just isn’t worth it and the Colts don’t like players who get into off the field antics.

I think either Freddie Keiaho or Tyjuan Hagler will be brought back, but not both of them. I think one of them will be replaced by a Day 1 draft pick. If Hagler returns then they will draft a Sam, if Keiaho returns they will draft a Will.

Ratliff might be back, as he provided good cover when both Hayden and Jackson were injured, while I don’t believe Giordano will be retained.

The last difficult decision is over Hunter Smith. I personally think he will cost too much money at such cap strained times and he should be wished well and let go.

I really hope you're wrong in regards to Darrell Reid, Josh Thomas, and Raheem Brock. Reid may have had a run in with the law, but it's not like he had Ed Johnson's history, and he's the heart, soul, and playmaker of the special teams unit, which showed marked improvement this season. EDIT: Just learned Reid will be with Denver next season. That SUCKS.

Cut Raheem Brock? To keep Josh Thomas? I have never understood the Colts' infatuation with Thomas, there's never been a JAG on this team that has kept his job for so long...maybe Rob Morris, but at least he earned some redemption by filling the gap at SLB on the way to the championship. And why would one want to cut Raheem Brock, a versatile player who has proven he can start at two positions and at the very least is still a solid rotational player, to keep a JAG like Thomas? I don't understand that thinking at all.

Re: linebacker, maybe the Colts go ahead right now and move back Session to WLB and Philip Wheeler takes over at SLB? Two young and physical guys, with good size, on the outside.

And Brackett in the middle, of course. Although next year he'll be a free agent and 30 years old.

Yes, I certainly hope so, that would be the best LB corps the Colts have had in a LONG time. Session is going to beast at WLB if he gets the chance (dare I say Derrick Brooks?), and Wheeler could be a Marcus Washington type if he gets the chance, I just hope he's got the gap discipline to play the spot. Brackett is probably gone after next season given the circumstances and the Colts history with LBs, I think the Colts will seriously consider a MLB fairly early, maybe Gerald McRath. Or maybe they go a different direction, plan to slide Wheeler over, and draft a OLB or two.

Geo
03-01-2009, 10:03 AM
I was thinking no more than 3M per for Saturday, but of course Polian caved in a bit like he always does. Yet I do think Saturday has at least two more good years in him, and wouldn't be surprised if he did play that third year. So I can live with it, the good thing is that we've seen some centers play at older ages and more importantly that the Colts offense won't miss a beat.

Darrell Reid signed with the Broncos, 3 years for 6.8M I think it was. Way more than he would have received from the Colts.

I agree on the Colts targeting a linebacker early, Dam. Although I'm thinking less that it could be Laurinaitis in the 1st round. His collegiate career and the Combine make you wonder if he's explosive enough.

You guys know Scott McKillop of Pittsburgh has been one of my faves this whole year, he's been the guy I want the most and still is. I've always thought getting him in the 3rd round was better than Laurinaitis in the 1st, although I'll be fine with spending the late 2nd on McKillop to make sure another team doesn't snatch him up. The guy is just a player on the field, and proved it looking like the best linebacker during the Senior Bowl game. Plus he seems like a smart kid, which is important for a potential MIKE.

chad72
03-02-2009, 08:50 AM
You guys know Scott McKillop of Pittsburgh has been one of my faves this whole year, he's been the guy I want the most and still is. I've always thought getting him in the 3rd round was better than Laurinaitis in the 1st, although I'll be fine with spending the late 2nd on McKillop to make sure another team doesn't snatch him up. The guy is just a player on the field, and proved it looking like the best linebacker during the Senior Bowl game. Plus he seems like a smart kid, which is important for a potential MIKE.

I like that Jasper Brinkley guy from South Carolina as well for being MIKE in our system.

killxswitch
03-02-2009, 10:20 AM
No way will the Colts cut Brock for Thomas. Thomas is terrible. Brock is capable as a rush down DE and pass down DT. You could replace your LT with a stop sign and still block Josh Thomas.

I am looking forward to a LB lineup of Wheeler at the sam, Session at the will, and whatever 1st-day rookie replaces Brackett halfway through the '09 season.

RCAChainGang
03-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Personally I would like to see a safety drafted. Get rid of Bethea. I don't understand what is valuable about him. Put someone els on the field. Melvin Bullit maybe? Bethea is slow and he only looks decent because of our scheme. Draft a future FS somewhere in the draft imo.

The first pick (excluding Peria Jerry because that is likely) is gonna be an offensive player. I can't help but look at WR's. Marvin is gone so gonzo goes out wide and we draft a guy for the slot. I've heard you guys shoot down the thought of Harvin, but is there another WR there is worth drafting in the 1st?

psulion21
03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
i would love dhb but i doubt he falls to us

Henry B
03-04-2009, 08:54 PM
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/3/2/777381/colts-rumored-to-re-struct

Interesting read on how the Colts are playing around with the cap. The rumour is that they are restructuring the contracts of both Ryan Lilja and Adam Vinatieri. (Not really FA news but this thread seemed appropriate).

chad72
03-05-2009, 01:10 PM
For a cap strapped franchise like ours, we have some must-sign free agents.

One guy that is not yet signed is Antonio Johnson, who plays DT (NT mainly) for us. He needs to be re-signed just like Muir was.

Then, we can build on that with more DT picks from the draft.

Plus if Lilja returns quickly, he costs us less than Ryan Diem. Let us not forget that in the Super Bowl XLI, when Ryan Diem got hurt, Charlie Johnson filled in for him at RT and we did not miss a bit. If we let go of Ryan Diem for cap reasons, I can see CJ being moved to RT and a rookie drafted for LT/RT.

Then we will have Ugoh, Richard, Saturday, Lilja, and Charlie Johnson for starters and Pollak/Justice/Federkeil will sub in for rotation. It is funny that a 7th round pick -Jamey Richard was the best out of our rookie linemen last year. We have great depth at OG, but not at OT. But Charlie Johnson and Federkeil have had experience at tackle, so if Ugoh gets hit with the injury bug again, one of them will step in. Don't we all miss how Tarik Glenn got injured seldom?

Geo
03-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Antonio Johnson is signed for 2009, at least. So no worries there.

chad72
03-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Antonio Johnson is signed for 2009, at least. So no worries there.

Hopefully we get more push from the DT spot this year starting with game 1. Bob Sanders was most healthy when we had both Pitcock and Ed Johnson out there in 2007, helps him roam and make plays big time. Otherwise, teams know he is going to play close to the box like an LB and will just have a TE sniffer or someone like that to spy on him and reduce his effectiveness. If he is playing away from the line of scrimmage, the TE will have to get through the LBs to get to Bob, chances are, it does not happen easily and frequently.

Geo
03-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Exact numbers of the 1-year minimum tenders per Coltscap.net:

- RB Lance Ball ($310k)
- MLB Buster Davis ($385k)
- OL Dan Federkeil ($535k)
- DT Daniel Muir ($460k)

Obviously these aren't big salaries, relatively speaking, because all four guys have been the league only one, two, or three years. And if one of them doesn't make the team this fall, cutting them comes without financial penalty, so it makes sense to sign them now and allow them to challenge for roster spots.

I thought Federkeil would be a RFA and thus would cost too much, so it's good to see the Colts have another year to continue his three-years-plus development and confirm if he is part of the future.

psulion21
03-25-2009, 12:12 AM
yahoo sports reports colts sign LB Adam Seward and waive RB Clifton Dawson

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AuYc4YyeElkb_6swW7s3NiU5nYcB?slug=ap-coltsmoves&prov=ap&type=lgns

Geo
03-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Alright, I was hoping someone would finally post the Seward signing!

I like it.

Vet minimum per Coltscap which makes it great, especially as chances are he gives the team a worthy back-up to Gary Brackett and a very good special teams player, which are very important. Additionally though, he could compete with Philip Wheeler for the starting SLB job. Maybe that's what spurned him to sign with the Colts right now, a real chance to win a starting job.

Only a one year deal though, so it's kind of a temporary solution. But a good one nonetheless I think.

a-dub83
03-25-2009, 08:13 PM
http://indyfootballreport.com/index.php/archives/641#more-641

This moves Session to WLB, and thus cancels all chances that Keiaho will be back. Coyer likes to blitz, something Wheeler is very good at. I don't know if Seward will compete with Wheeler or if he is going to back up at MLB. I believe he can play both.

killxswitch
03-26-2009, 09:07 AM
I'd guess Seward will be a backup MLB and will see a lot of special teams action. There isn't anyone on the roster that could beat out Session for either OLB spot IMO. I like him and Wheeler at the OLB spots. I think there's a good chance we will draft Gary Brackett's replacement this year. Frantz Joseph or Gerald McRath?

chad72
03-26-2009, 02:46 PM
I think there's a good chance we will draft Gary Brackett's replacement this year. Frantz Joseph or Gerald McRath?

Larry Coyer is making his signature moves with bigger LBs that emphasize more on blitzing and stopping the run than pass coverage. His Ds did well against the Patriots and the Chargers:) , two teams we'd like to beat, especially in the playoffs.

Like Geo & Seamus have opined, this may be the other year after Rob Morris where we go LB with the first pick, Lauranitis?:) If one of Peria Jerry & Evander Hood are available, I cannot see how BP overlooks any of them for our D-line. But if both of those are gone, I can see Lauranitis on top of BP's board for BPA.

Geo
03-26-2009, 03:13 PM
I've got a new mock/1st round pick in mind right now, going back to Ziggy Hood.

Will be interesting to see if Peria Jerry can somehow fall, either one would be great and could be the pick.

As I look at Polian's draft history in Indy, the Colts' first pick in a draft is spent on a talented and hard-working player who very likely won't start as a rookie, but will contribute immediately. They expect contribution from that pick, Marlin Jackson for example was the starting nickel corner in addition to playing special teams in '05.

And there's no bigger opportunity to contribute, given the make-up of this current roster, than defensive tackle. Contribution that both those guys, Hood and Jerry, can bring as they are great fits for the defense. both have very good size, first steps, and motors. They will improve the defensive interior against both the run and the pass. Both guys looked great at the Senior Bowl, competing against the best draft-eligible prospects in the nation.

Though this brings us right back to the discussion if Polian values DT or LB as 1st round material? Hard to say, obviously draft history doesn't support it much.

One could point to Polian signing Corey Simon to a 5-yr/$30M contract in 2005 and then the next year trading a 2nd round pick for Booger McFarland as potential evidence that he does place value in the DT position if he can get a player who he feels will make a difference.

And before Tony Dungy came to Indianapolis, Polian had spent a 1st round pick (Morris) and two 2nd round picks (Mike Peterson & Marcus Washington) at the linebacker position in Indy. But since Dungy came and installed the Tampa 2, the Colts haven't gone linebacker earlier than the early 3rd round. A defense that, according to Polian and Caldwell, will be tweaked as normal but not changed.

Of course in that time since 2002, the Colts drafted some solid if not good linebackers to pick up after Peterson and Washington left. And an undrafted free agent from Rutgers, Gary Brackett, eventually worked his way into the starting position and a second contract to continue his captaincy of that unit.

Brackett does have one year left on his current contract though, turning 30 years old before next season. Do the Colts re-sign him? Will they even have the money to do so? Can't say for sure. Does Brackett command a big contract from other teams on the open market? Maybe not, so that might help the Colts. Or maybe as Chad says, there's a chance to strike when the iron is hot with a potential MLB in Laurinaitis.

killxswitch
03-27-2009, 06:55 AM
To me taking Hood in the first is not a reach anymore. I would still prefer Jerry but there is just no other position where a rookie could make a more immediate impact than DT.

I think the thing about rookies not starting at all was a Dungy thing. We'll probably see less of that now. If we were to get an early-round DT I don't see anyone on the roster that would give him much competition for a starting spot.

Seamus2602
03-27-2009, 08:51 AM
I just read something over at ESPN. Since 1997, the Colts have only drafted 7 Wide Receivers, a number that puts them 31st in the NFL (Houston are the only team who have drafted less but they have only been in the league since 2002). The Colts don't draft Wide Receiver reguarly, though when they do they invest a high pick on them.

1997: Nathaniel Jacquet - 5th Round
1998: Jerome Pathon - 2nd Round, Ernest Green, 3rd Round
2001: Reggie Wayne - 1st Round
2007: Anthony Gonzalez - 1st Round, Roy Hall - 5th Round
2008: Pierre Garcon - 6th Round

So:

1st Round: 2
2nd Round: 1
3rd Round: 1
4th Round: 0
5th Round: 2
6th Round: 1
7th Round: 1

Another point I would make is, as has been shown, since Bill Polian become the Colts' President, he has drafted a Wide Receiver 6 times, 3 of them in the last two years. There are four drafted Wide Receivers on the Roster. Will he add to that? History has shown us that he probably won't. The last time the Colts drafted 3 Wide Receivers in 2 years, they didn't draft another Wide Receiver for 3 years.

Geo
03-27-2009, 10:12 AM
I do think the Colts will draft a wide receiver this year. Right now they only have four guys, not counting Dallas Clark. With Peyton and the OL healthy again, the Colts need to throw as many receiving threats out there as possible to tear up nickel and dime defenses (which puts the running game is an excellent situation). Or at least, I think they should.

Is four enough? As much as I still believe in the promise of Roy Hall, he hasn't yet shown he can be a factor beyond special teams. Pierre Garcon though, love the guy and think he's a gem, I see great receiving potential from him in addition to being a punishing run-blocker. I think if he's given the chance, he might blossom and produce like Stevie Breaston in Arizona.

But more depth might be needed, in the form of a 5th receiver. If one of Reggie Wayne or Anthony Gonzalez get injured, it's a scary situation. Even if Garcon gets injured.

Are either of the Colts' practice squad projects, Sam Giguere and Taj Smith, ready to step up? They might still be a year away.

Any potential free agents out there? The only guys I can think of are Shaun McDonald and Mike Furrey, who put up good numbers with Mike Martz. Both remained unsigned I believe.

Geo
03-27-2009, 10:35 AM
To me taking Hood in the first is not a reach anymore. I would still prefer Jerry but there is just no other position where a rookie could make a more immediate impact than DT.

I think the thing about rookies not starting at all was a Dungy thing. We'll probably see less of that now. If we were to get an early-round DT I don't see anyone on the roster that would give him much competition for a starting spot.
Maybe it was that Tony Dungy doesn't like starting rookie linebackers and rookie cornerbacks. He wants more experience from those positions, and for good reason.

He did start rookies on the DL (Freeney, Ed J, Pitcock, Dawson, Foster, Antonio Johnson) and at safety (Doss, Sanders, Bethea). At those positions vs. LB/CB, maybe inexperience isn't so costly, or the greater talent can make more of a difference. I can see that.

And even if the Colts do draft Jerry or Hood, or another DT later on, even if they don't start they will still get a lot of snaps. Although I agree with you killxswitch, if the Colts do draft Hood or Jerry, they could/should start.

Geo
03-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Colts release Buster Davis. (http://ind.scout.com/2/852129.html)

The only bad thing about this move is that they waited this long.

a-dub83
03-31-2009, 12:34 PM

I knew it was coming, only a matter of time. I don't care what the coaches say in the media, it doesn't take a genius to see this staff wants guys with a bit more size. You don't have to be undersized to have speed. Just take a look at guys like Briggs, Urlacher and Patrick Willis. We should definitely expect some LB's in the draft.

How do you guys feel about a line up of

WLB-Clint Session
MLB- James Lauranaitis
SSLB-Phillip Wheeler

Dam8610
03-31-2009, 12:39 PM

I wanted to rep this. Why was he even picked up? He got cut from the Lions midseason, that should've been a huge red flag. On a related note, why didn't Rufus Alexander get a crack at the roster last year?

MaxV
03-31-2009, 01:04 PM
I hope Wheeler is ready.

Dam8610
03-31-2009, 07:40 PM
WLB-Clint Session
MLB- James Lauranaitis
SSLB-Phillip Wheeler

Do not want. I am the only person here who sees the value of James Laurinaitis over someone like, say, Gerald McRath, or even teammate Marcus Freeman, as marginal at best?

Geo
03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
I agree with that.

I like Laurinaitis and think he's a good player, and if the Colts do draft him, I'll be pleased with the pick because of the high level of confidence in their scouting and also their stringent value on linebackers. I know for a few weeks back, I was trying to talk myself into thinking he was the guy, but ultimately I don't think Laurinaitis is 1st round special nor is he athletic enough. Which makes me guess he won't be drafted by the Colts.

(And honestly, as I've thought about it, Paul Posluszny was a better prospect than Laurinaitis is. But both guys were modern legends in the Big Ten and will probably make for great starters in the league, could be splitting hairs.)

Also Laurinaitis would sit on the bench as a rookie, even if the Colts do aim for a potential successor in this Draft, I think they ask for more from a 1st round pick than only special teams. Gary Brackett has one year left on his contract but the Colts are without question going to roll with him this season, especially as he's the only returning starter at the same LB position. His experience is key.

So maybe the Colts just wait until next year and hopefully a great MLB reaches their pick in the 1st round, MLBs tend to fall in the Draft. Both Laurinaitis and Maualuga could both fall out of the 1st round in this Draft, I am positive Maualuga will. I wouldn't draft that guy for the Colts in any round of the Draft, personally. Brandon Spikes next year, maybe he reaches the Colts' pick as I think the Draft Advisory Committee gave him an early 2nd round grade. Then again Aaron Curry had like a 4th round grade at this time last year and now he's a Top 5 pick, shrug.

Marcus Freeman, who Dam noted, on the other hand might be a better fit for the Colts though. He's athletic, quicker and packs more of punch as a striker. Might even read and react a touch faster as well, and he covers exceptionally well for a linebacker in his own right, although he has dealt with injuries a lot more in college than Laurinaitis did. There might be a good chance that Freeman can do everything Laurinaitis can and more, but we'll see how things progress over the next decade or so for both guys.

Positionally speaking, beyond a phenomenal WLB I think there's also a chance Freeman might make for a fine Tampa 2 MLB as well. He's 6-0.5/240, size isn't that big of an issue. Sure Freeman will struggle with blocks head-on, but to me you can make that case with every (middle) linebacker if he's got to constantly deal with offensive lineman on him. It's only natural with the size mismatch. Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Gary Brackett, and so on. If you can keep the linebackers clean, they'll wreck havoc on an offense.

Now obviously by my recent mock, I really like Freeman to the Colts in the 2nd round, so bias could color my opinion somewhat.

MaxV
03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
To get Lauranaitis, we'll need to spend a 1st round pick.

I doubt we'll pick a LB in the 1st round.

Geo
03-31-2009, 09:35 PM
You summed it up better than I could. :D

killxswitch
04-01-2009, 08:24 AM
I still want to draft Frantz Joseph. I have been completely sucked in by the internet hype.

Geo
04-01-2009, 09:27 AM
I'd like him too, he packs a punch (which I like). But his pro day numbers, not sure they were good enough for the Colts. Interesting that Joseph originally went to Boston College, but later transferred to Florida Atlantic to be much closer to his mom.

Seems all of the Colts free agents are still out on the open market.

At least Darrell Reid signing with Denver (3 years/$6.8M) might give the Colts a 6th or more likely a 7th round compensatory pick next year.

Seamus2602
04-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Draft Needs

Starters

Under Tackle: The Colts need a real 3-Technique, not a DE/DT hybrid. That means that if anyone here even thinks of suggesting Jarron Gilbert or Mitch King, or any other 3-4 5-Technique, then they will be shot. We need someone who can be effective against both the Run and the Pass and who can play everydown. This should be a pick in the 1st or 2nd Round.

Weakside Linebacker: A lot of people here like Clint Session. He's a decent player. In the Tampa 2, you need better than a decent Weakside Linebacker. The Will is the playmaker in the Tampa 2 and as such we need a quality player at Will, a Day 1 Player at Will. The reason I personally like Laurinaitis is that he can play both the Will and the Mike. Which is the better scenario. Brackett gets injured this year, like last year. Which would you prefer

WLB: Session
MLB: Laurinaitis
SLB: Wheeler

MLB: Seward

Not a difficult choice. Session is a very good depth player but I don't see him as a Starter while Baby Animal can be brilliant at both Will and Mike. This should be a pick in the 1st or 2nd Round.

Nose Tackle: We, in my opinion, need a real Starter at Nose Tackle. Some would argue that Antonio Johnson and Daniel Muir could rotate as Starters but I feel we need someone who will play the position rather than just take up room in the Middle. If there is value, this should be a Mid Round pick.

Punter: We probably won't resign Hunter the Punter, and unless the Franchise feel they could get a good undrafted Rookie, or feel that Mike Dragosavich is good enough, then they need to draft a Punter.

Depth

Wide Receiver/Full Back: We need a Wide Receiver to provide more depth after the release of Harrison. If they feel that Garcon can play then this will be purely about depth. Alternately, if they don't feel the need to bring in a new Receiver they could bring in a Blocking Fullback.

Offensive Tackle: This pick could be a 1st Round starter if they cut Ryan Diem and shift Tony Ugoh over to the Right. Otherwise, a player who can backup both Right and Left Tackle is needed.

Defensive End: The team need to replace Josh Thomas and bring in a Defensive End who can play both Run and Pass downs.

Cornerback: The team need another Cornerback on the Roster. The Tampa 2 relies on very physical Corners which opens them up to injuries more. Last year both Colts starting Corners were injured (Jackson eventually IR'd). Personally, we carry far too many Cornerbacks so if we could replace them with someone who will contribute more then we can cut the likes of Michael Coe, Nick Graham, Brandon Foster, Brandon Sumrall and TJ Rushing.

Safety: With Giordano not being resigned, and frequent injuries to Bob Sanders, the team need to draft another Safety.

First Rounders

It will be interesting to see how the team go with the 1st Round Pick. Since Bill Polian began the GM of the Bills, he has drafted 21 players. They are:-

Defensive Back - 5
Running Back - 4
Offensive Tackle - 3
Wide Receiver - 3
Linebacker - 2
Quarterback - 2
Defensive End - 1
Tight End - 1

We don't need a 1st Round RB, QB, DE or TE. The team potentially could draft a 1st Round DB or OT. That leaves WR and LB. Or will Bill Polian go for something completely different in DT?

chad72
04-02-2009, 08:00 PM
We don't need a 1st Round RB, QB, DE or TE. The team potentially could draft a 1st Round DB or OT. That leaves WR and LB. Or will Bill Polian go for something completely different in DT?

Past performance or patterns are not good indicators of future performance. So, I would just throw the patterns away personally.:)

One common theme with BP in Buffalo, Carolina, and Indianapolis - he drafts according to the system run by the coaches. This is in fact our first draft with Caldwell and Coyer at the helm. While our offense and defense are not going to change dramatically, the personal preferences of Caldwell and Coyer may shape this draft and future drafts to come. Only time will tell if this is a trend setting draft.;)

Geo
04-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Responding to Seamus' analyisis, first the bigger needs:

UT/NT - I think these could be combined, because Antonio Johnson to me is a very good NT on 1st and 2nd down which is exactly what the Colts need. I get that you say a complete NT would be better, but considering the Colts want 3 DEs on the field on pass rushing downs (which I am 100 percent in favor with myself) that leaves room for only one DT. The only NT I can think of who I would keep over a UT in this situation is Haynesworth, it's very unlikely even a complete NT would pass rush better than an UT in a pass-rushing formation. That's my explanation/interpretation of it anyway.

But back to the topic of need, if the Colts could get a top-notch UT, I think he could in turn be a fine candidate to slide inside to NT on pass-rushing downs which is what they need. I like Eric Foster, but maybe the Colts can have a better starter at regular UT/pass-rushing NT.

WLB - I like Clint Session, granted I was calling for him to be benched early last season! :D But credit to Tony Dungy, he stuck with Session who became better as he gained more experience. And in turn Session flashed more than the rest of the linebackers, seemed he looked like the best in getting through blocks. Just a shame how many better plays he could have had if he didn't let tackles slip through his fingers though, and has a habit of a bad penalty every so often. I certainly wouldn't call him the next Derrick Brooks, but I definitely think he'll be better than Freddy Keiaho or Cato June. Marcus Freeman would be a beastly WLB though, but Session is still under contract through two more years so the rush isn't necessarily there. Although I wouldn't say with any confidence that the Colts will re-sign Session.

MLB - I am fine with Adam Seward being the back-up MLB, although it is just for the time being as he's signed for only 2009. Maybe he's signed back after this season though, if he really shows the Colts something. I'm looking forward to seeing him play in the preseason. Obviously if the Colts do draft Laurinaitis, as you noted, he would be penciled in as the starter from 2010 on.

As for your lesser needs

CB - Unless the Colts don't bring in any return men competition in the Draft, which I'll be a bit surprised if that happens, then TJ Rushing is definitely competing for a roster spot this summer as well he should be. Michael Coe too if they draft another cornerback or they need to keep someone else at another position.

SS - Agreed on the Colts needing a back-up SS, Melvin Bullitt is good but he might be better suited at FS. And we don't know if Jamie Silva is good enough, although I like him.

Punter - Maybe Smith is re-signed on the cheap, if he gets no other takers. I would like to get a younger guy in there though, it may be time to make that move now.

OT - I would definitely keep Ugoh at left tackle, but it's no secret I am a big believer in Ugoh. Maybe he's slightly more effective at RT, but the best parts of his game imo are his feet, long arms, and his ability to run-block on the move/down the field. He might make a mistake or two a game, but I think he does a very good job overall and specifically has gotten the better of Mario Williams overall these last two years. Of course Peyton definitely helps him and everyone else out, getting rid of the ball like he does.

WR - I have a gut feeling that the Colts are liking Pierre Garcon more than they are letting on, as part of them being so public about wide receiver being a need for them heading into the Draft. Just a gut feeling, plus I am big on Garcon myself. Roy Hall though, I like him but he should be competing for a roster spot depending on who the Colts bring in to training camp.

Which I wouldn't completely rule out Marvin Harrison to be honest, although if he's not willing to accept a (slightly) demoted role and my guess is he isn't, the Colts probably won't bring him back.

Dam8610
04-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Weakside Linebacker: A lot of people here like Clint Session. He's a decent player. In the Tampa 2, you need better than a decent Weakside Linebacker. The Will is the playmaker in the Tampa 2 and as such we need a quality player at Will, a Day 1 Player at Will. The reason I personally like Laurinaitis is that he can play both the Will and the Mike. Which is the better scenario. Brackett gets injured this year, like last year. Which would you prefer

MLB: Laurinaitis

MLB: Seward

Not a difficult choice. Session is a very good depth player but I don't see him as a Starter while Baby Animal can be brilliant at both Will and Mike. This should be a pick in the 1st or 2nd Round.

Do I have another option? How about Wheeler-McRath-Session? I'd prefer that to both of the above, especially considering investment levels required, but as I'm sure all of you know, I'm far from Laurinaitis's biggest fan. As for your evaluation of Session, how do you come up with "decent" based on last season's play? It would be a far more understandable evaluation if you were evaluating him as a SLB, the position he played last year (though I'd still say he's above average there), but his main weakness as a SLB becomes a strength at WLB. In the Tampa 2, a WLB is responsible for getting to the ballcarrier and making the tackle, so he must flow to the ball. This is what Session did many times last year, the problem with that was he was playing SLB, where flowing to the ball results in open cutback lanes and big holes. So basically, his up and down play as a SLB translates to almost exclusively positive impact at WLB.

Nose Tackle: We, in my opinion, need a real Starter at Nose Tackle. Some would argue that Antonio Johnson and Daniel Muir could rotate as Starters but I feel we need someone who will play the position rather than just take up room in the Middle. If there is value, this should be a Mid Round pick.

I'd say Antonio Johnson could be a starter at NT and play a Corey Simon-esque role of 2 down NT, the team just needs to find a solid 3-tech, a Montae Reagor type (Mitch King? Clinton McDonald?), and a Larry Tripplett type (Darryl Richard? Ricky Jean-Francois? Vance Walker?). That said, I'm not going to complain if the Colts draft someone like Myron Pryor or Dorell Scott, especially Myron Pryor.

Geo
04-08-2009, 10:29 AM
4/8 one-on-one with Clint Session (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=video&content=717dceff-782e-4cd1-9803-b6fcd4e777f5)

The tank with dreads is now just a tank!

Geo
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Colts re-sign Tyjuan Hagler (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=12372b83-1dcd-4537-b290-c9608bba2623)

Excellent news imo. Hagler (probably) won't start but is great to have, as he already has 4 years of experience and can play any of the three linebacker positions in a pinch, plus he'll be a great special teamer for Rychleski to have. Glad to see him stay, especially after 2008 didn't work out very well for him.

Geo
04-14-2009, 06:33 PM
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=schedule

I loved the schedule before today and I love it even more now.

1. Toughest part is the first part of the season, with 3 of the 5 games on the road and in primetime. But those games are @ Miami, @ Arizona, and @ Tennessee. Home games are the season opener against Jacksonville (love getting them early) and the Seahawks. The toughest bit is that the Miami and Arizona games are back to back. But the Colts can win all those games, they have a chance to be 5-0 heading into their Week 6 bye.

If that happens, watch out.

2. Houston plays 4 road games in a stretch of 5 in Weeks 5-9 ... with the Colts being the fourth road game in Week 9. That is excellent, the Texans play worse on the road and they will be worn down.

Then their bye comes and, in the next two weeks, they play the Titans first and then the Colts at home. Also great, the Titans will soften them up.

3. How about the Colts getting two home games, against the 49ers and the Texans, before their annual primetime game against the Pats at home? Wow, that's amazing. The Colts won't have to travel leading up to the big game.

4. There is a road game after that, but it's against the Baltimore Ravens. A GREAT match-up for the Colts, especially with the Baltimore pass defense.

5. The last four games in the season are the best part: versus the Broncos, at Jacksonville (Thu), home vs. the Jets, and at the Bills. I'll be surprised if there's one playoff team amongst those four, that is ace. Only problems are the short week for the Jags game, but there's familiarity already, and the Buffalo weather in Week 17, although the Colts could have already locked up the #1 seed in the AFC at that point.

Dam8610
04-14-2009, 07:15 PM
In case anyone's wondering why the Colts don't get many SNF home games:

Colts President Bill Polian, when asked why there are so few primetime games in [Lucas Oil Stadium], said, "NBC told us they donít like us at home, because we tend to win by rather large scores and that doesnít make for good TV..."

:D

Geo
04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Interesting that the Colts have only one afternoon game, Week 16 versus the Jets, all season. Other than that and the 5 primetime games, the rest are all 1 pm et starts.

Maybe flex scheduling comes into play, although with the games involved, only Week 11 at Baltimore and Week 13 vs. Tennessee look like viable options.

The Colts can be flexed to another primetime game.

chad72
04-14-2009, 09:35 PM
[QUOTE=Geo;1599459
1. Toughest part is the first part of the season, with 3 of the 5 games on the road and in primetime. But those games are @ Miami, @ Arizona, and @ Tennessee. Home games are the season opener against Jacksonville (love getting them early) and the Seahawks. The toughest bit is that the Miami and Arizona games are back to back. But the Colts can win all those games, they have a chance to be 5-0 heading into their Week 6 bye.

If that happens, watch out.[/QUOTE]

The Cardinals D plays inspired at home and are paper tigers on the road, that is my single biggest concern, I say we split the Dolphins-Cardinals stretch.

I have this as a 13-3/12-4 schedule with us going 8-0 at home and 5-3 on the road.

The 3 losses - to Cardinals, to Titans, to Bills (if they open the roof or rest their starters).

The only possible fourth loss is the Pats game.

I wonder about the Bills game. If it is played in Toronto and we have nothing to play for, will Jim Caldwell's hand be forced in anyway by the NFL to play Manning and the starters in this high profile game since the NFL wants to expand its horizons in Canada?

I hope it does not come to it and we have to play the last game to consolidate seeding of some sort.:)

Geo
04-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Turns out the Jets @ the Bills in Week 13 will be played in Toronto, on a Thursday night on NFL Network. Would have been cool for the Colts to participate, and play in a dome for another game, but oh well.

The good thing about the Miami game is that it is at night, so that they won't have to deal with the heat at that time of year. Although the Colts, as a speed-based team, are conditioned very well so it wouldn't be too much of a concern, but it helps. What helps more is that the Colts will be attacking the Miami cornerbacks all game.

The Arizona game is a concern, although I think Freeney and Mathis can help neutralize their passing attack enough. But yeah, the Indy offense is going to need to score.

I think you're right though, chad. A 3-2 record is quite feasible, and would be pretty good considering. Although with Pittsburgh having an even more cakewalk schedule, and the Patriots and Chargers playing in softer divisions, the Colts might not be able to afford much in the way of losses.

The South from top to bottom is by far the toughest/strongest division in the AFC imo.

Splat
04-15-2009, 08:34 AM
Down On Addai (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-9-65/The-Colts--starters-you-d-like-replaced.html)

Some Colts fans not so high on Addai your thoughts?

killxswitch
04-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Down On Addai (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-9-65/The-Colts--starters-you-d-like-replaced.html)

Some Colts fans not so high on Addai your thoughts?

I like Addai and I think he'd have done better if the line hadn't been so terrible last year. But, I don't think he should start. I think a stronger runner should start and play in the 3rd quarter and goal line situations and Addai should be the #2 guy getting most carries in the 2nd and 4th quarters. His shifty running style can work and he is great on screens but he doesn't seem tough enough to be an every-down back. That's just not who he is.

Geo
04-15-2009, 02:23 PM
I recently shared my thoughts on Addai. (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1596418&#post1596418) Long post short, I think he's just fine as the starter for the next two years. Those same Colts fans trashing him were the same ones who sang his praises before and will do so again when he and the OL bounce back. He is still a very good player.

The bigger issue might be Maurice Jones-Drew's new extension (4-years, $32.8M, with $20M guaranteed). Granted he's actually being paid $6.667M on average as the new starting RB for the Jags ... but if Addai asks for that, and I don't see why he wouldn't, then the Colts might have to let him walk.

Depending on the finances on the time. Then again the '09 franchise tender for RBs was $6.62M, so we'll see how things work out. The Colts franchised Edge for a season or two will he was still in his prime.

I just remembered that Peyton's final two years on his contract are likely voided, which if true, would make him signed through 2010. He would be by far the Colts' first and foremost priority over the next two years.

Second imo is the franchise left tackle Tony Ugoh, although if the league stays uncapped, he won't be a free agent until 2013 (instead of 2011 as in the current system).

They to me are the first tier of necessary re-signings, although you could probably put Peyton alone on the first tier because he is the franchise.

Not sure what I would put as the third most important re-signing.

I would consider a Reggie Wayne extension, although the Colts don't do extensions. They'd rather make sure a player stays healthy and pay more to do it. And since Reggie is signed through 2011, there's still time. Gonzo btw is also signed through 2011, he will probably be more important because he'll be much younger. So I suppose Anthony Gonzalez would be my third-most important re-signing.

If there is cap space, it would be nice to lock up either linebacker Clint Session or safety Melvin Bullitt (to take over at free safety).

I've already come to terms with Marlin Jackson leaving the team either after this season or next (depending on the CBA).

chad72
04-16-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090416/SPORTS03/904160432/1058/SPORTS03

His rehab is going ahead of schedule and he expects to be ready for training camp, that is way better than I thought it would be. Maybe, we can cross off CB from the Colts 1st round draft board.:)

Geo
04-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I was also glad to hear Jackson is doing well. Hopefully he recovers fully and is good to go in time for the season.

Geo
04-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Peyton Manning radio interview (http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/player?id=4073407)

Geo
04-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Buffalo Bills sign RB Dominic Rhodes to a 2-year contract (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/17/bills-agree-to-two-year-deal-with-rb-rhodes/)

I wish Dom well, he'll be a solid back for them plus a good vet for Lynch and Jackson to learn some things from. I was hoping he'd come back for '09, oh well. The Colts will see him in Week 17. ;)

Thoughts on the RB situation?

Should the Colts sign an old vet like Aaron Stecker, Warrick Dunn, or Michael Pittman? Wait to pick someone up off the waiver wire before the season starts? Draft a back?

Dam8610
04-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Buffalo Bills sign RB Dominic Rhodes to a 2-year contract (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/04/17/bills-agree-to-two-year-deal-with-rb-rhodes/)

I wish Dom well, he'll be a solid back for them plus a good vet for Lynch and Jackson to learn some things from. I was hoping he'd come back for '09, oh well. The Colts will see him in Week 17. ;)

Should the Colts sign an old vet like Aaron Stecker, Warrick Dunn, or Michael Pittman? Wait to pick someone up off the waiver wire before the season starts? Draft a back?

I think you know my answer to that, but in case someone doesn't...draft Kory Sheets!

chad72
04-19-2009, 07:29 PM

Unless Edge wants to sign for vet min., no other vets will do for us.

I would prefer doing the same thing we did in 2006 when we won it all, draft Addai to back up Rhodes and Addai ended up being the starter for the playoffs. A top quality backup who is intelligent to get the playbook will be the best bet to contribute - I see Donald Brown fit so many criteria for the Colts RB, I really do. People thought Addai was a small stretch too when BP picked him up. Donald Brown I feel is the Matt Forte of this draft - he can run, block and catch. Matt Forte went in the middle of the 2nd round but with the RB class being week, that puts Donald Brown in the end of the 1st to the top of the 2nd, IMO.

Draft an RB on day 1 - one of these 3 I like - Moreno, Donald Brown or Rashad Jennings. We have gone RB early or real late under BP, plus if Mike Hart is even somewhat shaky for training camp, I doubt we will go with 3 RBs into camp with just Addai, Ball, and Simpson.

BP has not gone OL with round 1 except when he is picking a franchise LT like Tarik Glen or Tony Ugoh (first round pick because one was given up for him in the future). His OL gems include UDFA Jeff Saturday, 4th round pick Ryan Diem, 5th round pick Jake Scott, and Ryan Lilja (I think he came through free agency, right?, correct me if I am wrong).

BP values skill position in round 1 a lot and if Ziggy Hood is not there, I expect RB before WR, just my 2 cents. I wouldn't put it past BP to go RB.

Geo
04-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Chad, wouldn't you agree that Polian has drafted a 1st round RB when he needed a starter, ie drafting Edge after trading Faulk, drafting Addai when Edge signed with Arizona?

I just don't see the point in drafting a 1st round RB as long as Addai is under contract, personally. It makes zero sense to me.

It's not like there's a special playmaker who can contribute in the passing game and as a return man, like say CJ Spiller next year or Chris Johnson last year.

Dam8610
04-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Chad, wouldn't you agree that Polian has drafted a 1st round RB when he needed a starter, ie drafting Edge after trading Faulk, drafting Addai when Edge signed with Arizona?

I just don't see the point in drafting a 1st round RB as long as Addai is under contract, personally. It makes zero sense to me.

It's not like there's a special playmaker who can contribute in the passing game and as a return man, like say CJ Spiller next year or Chris Johnson last year.

Exactly, this is not the draft for an early RB. I think it's DT or trade down at this point. I don't see where the value is for the Colts elsewhere.

chad72
04-19-2009, 09:29 PM

Yes Geo, I do see your point. DT or trade down, like Dam said, that makes most sense. But what if we do not get the DT we want and do not have a trading partner? I am sure BP does not make the decision to trade down till about a pick before the Colts. WRs do not contribute right away in our system, takes time to groom them for our offense and the one that can the quickest is Brian Robiskie, the son of a coach for whom the playbook will not be an issue, IMO, who can be had in the top of the 2nd round. Otherwise, he quickest position for a rookie to contribute is RB, OL & DL.

If BP trades down to get to the top of the 2nd & and an extra 4th rounder, I will be more than happy since we do have several needs and we do not have to pay anyone 1st rounder money. Plus, the two times he made trades with, both of them were NFC teams, the Bob Sanders draft, he traded with the Falcons. The Tony Ugoh trade, he traded with the 49ers.

My only concern is if he does not have a trading partner. His BPA may be an RB at that point.

If the trade down is the case, I can find several players that may drop to the top of the 2nd - Alphonso Smith, Lauranitis and Robiskie are at the top of that list for the Colts, IMO.

Very interesting 6 days to come:) .

killxswitch
04-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Giordano was re-signed.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=e44c14aa-415d-4bb9-a43d-3ffbfc0c3a09

Geo
04-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Giordano imo didn't show in four years that he can use all of that great athletic ability to become a good football player, either on defense or on special teams (which really hurts).

But he's experienced, and this gives him a year under Coyer and Rychleski to see if they can't get more out of him. At least this doesn't force the Colts to have to go safety in the Draft, this year's class is alright but might be slim picking after the third or fourth round.

a-dub83
04-21-2009, 08:36 PM
http://www.2news.tv/sports/professional/43387787.html

It's a 2yr deal, so BP must see something in this guy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/4770.html
'08 Draft tidbit, I love the part about him being a nasty player, we don't have many of those aside from Jamey Richard

http://blog.oregonlive.com/pac10/2007/11/large_DeVan.jpg

Geo
04-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Whoa, very interesting.

Check out his SI 2008 Draft profile (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/4770.html), doesn't he sound just like Jeff Saturday?

a-dub83
04-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Whoa, very interesting.

Check out his SI 2008 Draft profile (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/4770.html), doesn't he sound just like Jeff Saturday?

He sure does. Here's DeVan interviewing Andy Levitre, his former teammate, who the Colts are also interested in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luuW62KsHFg

chad72
04-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Whoa, very interesting.

This is his interview from NFL draft diary, his favorite center, you guessed it, Jeff Saturday of the Colts

Here is the link:

http://www.everyjoe.com/emqb/nfl-draft-diary-kyle-devan-qa/

If it does not work, here is the Q & A pasted below:

1. If you could pick one team to play for, who would it be?
Ans. I don’t have a specific team that I would want to play for. Any team that wants me to play for them will be new favorite team. No matter where at in the country the team is located, I will be excited to contribute to their organization.

2. Who is your favorite football player of all-time and why?
Ans. That is an easy one for me. Of course, the greatest quarterback of all-time, Joe Montana is my favorite. I grew up close to San Francisco and really enjoyed watching him play. He had some of the greatest comeback wins and with him playing, you always knew that the 49ers had a great chance to win.

3. What NFL player are you excited about playing against?
Ans. That is a very tough question to answer. Everybody in the NFL are tremendous players. Most of the NFL players consist of guys I have either grown up watching or have watched for the last several years, so every match up will be exciting for me.

4. Who is your favorite NFL center?
Ans. Jeff Saturday from the Colts. I think he’s a tremendous technician and is about the same size as me.

5. Having played at such a big-time college, do you think the NFL will be that big of an adjustment for you?
Ans. Of course the jump to the NFL will be an adjustment. These guys are the best of the best. Everyone is bigger, faster, and stronger than anyone I faced in college. But, I hope that playing in a premier football conference will allow me to make the step a little easier and faster.

6. Who do you give the biggest shout-out to?
Ans. My mom, dad and brother! They stuck with me for a very long time and I owe it all to them. I have to give some love to the rest of the family and all the coaches that have helped me get to where I am today.

The big question is, is he camp fodder or a practice squad guy or a guy the Colts are serious about trying in the rotation? If he makes it to pre-season, that would be the first step, I guess.

chad72
04-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Colts have signed OG Brandon Barnes

http://ind.scout.com/a.z?s=113&p=9&c=2&cid=859182&nid=4309598&fhn=1

I think Lilja must not be looking too good.

Geo
04-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Here is a great article on Lilja and his restructured contract:

http://www.coltscap.net/topics/?p=56

Thankfully both parties agreed to the restructure, it really helps and hopefully Lilja can recover fully.

killxswitch
04-23-2009, 12:56 PM
My guess is that Lilja will not play this season. No way to know at the time but the Colts sure kept the wrong guard.

Geo
04-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Lilja/Scott is like Thornton/June imo. I know who I'd rather have.

Lilja just needs to get healthy, but even if he doesn't, the Colts have Jamey Richard and Steve Justice waiting in the wings.

killxswitch
04-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Hunter Smith was picked up by the Redskins.

killxswitch
04-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Keiwan Ratliff to the Steelers. Damn.

Geo
04-24-2009, 02:02 PM
The Steelers saw first-hand his coverage skills, lol. Good depth signing for them.

Thankfully someone signed Smith, I was worried he might come back to the Colts eventually.

killxswitch
04-24-2009, 02:30 PM
The Steelers saw first-hand his coverage skills, lol. Good depth signing for them.

Thankfully someone signed Smith, I was worried he might come back to the Colts eventually.

Me too. We can get similar or better results (at least punting-wise) for less from a younger player. His holding skills might be missed though, he and AV worked well together.

MaxV
04-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Keiaho is resigned.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090429/SPORTS03/90429085

psulion21
04-29-2009, 09:55 PM
great i was a fan of keiaho personally i wonder what the details of the contract are

Geo
04-29-2009, 11:24 PM
I still would like to see Session starting at WLB and Wheeler at SLB, but Keiaho has experience and is a good guy, chances are he might provide better depth than the training camp winner of Jordan Senn/Michael Okwo.

Although hopefully there won't be any awkwardness in the locker room, given that he was the starter at WLB the last two years. I don't think there will.

Actually, with the six linebackers the Colts have now, I think all three projected starters (Session-Brackett-Wheeler) are fighting for their jobs with the projected back-ups (Keiaho-Seward-Hagler). Yes, I include Brackett-Seward, I really think Seward could surprise and the whispers that the Colts want to get bigger at DT and LB look like they're real. Brackett's a good player, but he was Dungy's guy and don't overlook Seward imo. I have a gut feeling about him, 2009 might potentially be a "trial run" for him to potentially be the starter in 2010.

The new coaching staff wants to get a little bigger, but they will go with the best players. Competition is an excellent thing.

That's the best second string linebacker trio the Colts have had that I can recall, btw.

MaxV
04-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Well, Brackett might be undersized, but he plays bigger then listed. Just like any ILB, he needs DTs to protect him, hopefully Taylor and Moala will do that.

Brackett was at his best with Booger, Simon and Reagor in front of him.

Geo, are you already assuming that Keiaho has lost his starting spot?

killxswitch
04-30-2009, 07:43 AM
Well, Brackett might be undersized, but he plays bigger then listed. Just like any ILB, he needs DTs to protect him, hopefully Taylor and Moala will do that.

Brackett was at his best with Booger, Simon and Reagor in front of him.

Everyone on the D plays better with talented big guys up front. I am looking forward to what Sanders can do now that he won't be playing 4th LB.

Keiaho may have a chance to earn a starting spot, but I don't think it's even close to guaranteed. He was terrible vs. SD, the Colts didn't tender him, and now there is both a new HC and DC. My guess is we'll have Brackett at MLB and Session at WLB. To me SLB is an open competition between Wheeler, Hagler, and Keiaho. I like Keiaho more than most, but barring injury I don't think he will be starting this year.

That said, I think we will have some great depth at LB this year. I was shocked that the Colts didn't bother drafting any LBs, but with Hagler, Keiaho, Seward, and whichever of last year's scrubs make the team, I think our depth will be pretty good.

Geo
04-30-2009, 10:04 PM
I suppose I am. Obviously last we heard about the LBs, Caldwell said Session would move to WLB and Wheeler would get a shot at SLB, which seems to fit what the Colts are looking for in getting better and bigger at linebacker. That was before they signed Tyjuan Hagler and Freddy Keiaho though, the Colts have more options available to them now.

But like I said earlier, I think every starting LB position could potentially be up for grabs with great competition - Keiaho vs. Session @ WLB, Brackett vs. Seward @ MLB, and Wheeler vs. Hagler @ SLB. Although if Keiaho wins the WLB position, the Colts probably move Session back to SLB in that case.

Probably not much of a competition at MLB though, because of Brackett's starting experience and his leadership. Seward would have to make a major impression on the Colts in camp and preseason, although again, I wouldn't rule it out.

Geo
04-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Everyone on the D plays better with talented big guys up front. I am looking forward to what Sanders can do now that he won't be playing 4th LB.
This is what I'm looking forward to the most. Not only helping Sanders hopefully stay healthy for the rest of a long career, but giving him the chance to make plays in coverage, instead of always having to play in the box because the run defense is poor.

the Colts didn't tender him
By not doing so, the Colts probably saved around $400K. It was an excellent calculated risk.

That said, I think we will have some great depth at LB this year. I was shocked that the Colts didn't bother drafting any LBs, but with Hagler, Keiaho, Seward, and whichever of last year's scrubs make the team, I think our depth will be pretty good.
Yeah the depth is great, the only problem is that 4 linebackers (Brackett, Seward, Hagler, and now Keiaho) are signed through 2009. But I'm fine with it.

Plus Polian said this year's Draft graded out with an abnormally poor linebacker class. I would rather they wait and spend a draft pick on a better linebacker prospect, instead of trying to force the issue. In the meantime, they have experienced guys who can play in the league but give them flexibility for the future.

chad72
05-01-2009, 11:56 AM
...in Larry Foote of the Steelers.

But no confirmed reports yet. He is still under contract with the Steelers for 2009 and has to be traded to leave them; but I do not really see him fitting in anywhere but the SAM position in the Colts D.

Geo
05-01-2009, 12:36 PM
The source of that rumor is Tom Kowalski, a Lions beat reporter:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/steelers_say_larry_foote_has_n.html

According to a source close to the situation, the Lions had previously offered a seventh-round pick for Foote, but the Steelers turned it down. The Indianapolis Colts are also believed to be very interested in acquiring Foote.
I'm not putting any stock in what this guy says, especially after hearing about some of the stupid stuff he said about what the Lions should do in this year's Draft (this is the braindead moron who said in January the Lions should draft Southern Cal safety Taylor Mays with the first overall pick).

I wouldn't say there's zero chance of this happening though, however the fact that the Colts already traded their 2010 6th round pick (to get Pat McAfee in the 7th round) makes it much more unlikely.

Not sure where Foote could play in the (new) defense, myself.

Geo
05-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Neat article on Jamie Silva:

http://media.www.bcheights.com/media/storage/paper144/news/2009/04/30/Sports/Doing.The.Dirty.Work.To.Make.It.Big-3732468.shtml

MaxV
05-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Do we really need him?

Seamus2602
05-01-2009, 02:23 PM
An argument about Foote is that one would ask how much more is a Colts 6th worth compared to a Lions 7th. If they won't deal him to the Lions for a 7th then they won't have dealt him to the Colts for a 6th. A 2010 5th Round Pick would be needed to get him but an argument would be that we want to get bigger in the Front 7 and Gary Brackett is in the last year of his contract. Maybe a 5th for Foote would be a good deal. On the other hand, offering a 5th Round Pick for a player who will be 29 at the start of the season isn't the logic with what Bill Polian built this team on.

Seamus2602
05-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Per ColtsCap (http://www.coltscap.net/topics/?p=61),

Indy have reworked Sover's contract saving over $1.5 Million. I think the team maybe looking to sign a Free Agent or possibly start resigning key 2010 Free Agents because they are starting to chip away at the Cap.

chad72
05-01-2009, 03:54 PM
http://www.coltscap.net/topics/?p=61

Article pasted below:

ColtsCap has learned that at some point, the Colts re-worked Bob Sandersí contract. Specifically, the team converted $2.17M of his $5M roster bonus due in 2009 to a signing bonus and prorated it accordingly over the remaining four years at $542,500 per year. The net savings in 2009 of this specific maneuver is $1,627,500.

Typically, a team would convert an entire bonus if they were going to make the effort to convert anything. However, complicating things in this particular year is the 30% rule requiring that future cap hits (excluding signing bonuses) increase by no more than 30% of the 2009 cap hit (again, excluding signing bonuses). Should the entire $5M roster bonus have been converted to a signing bonus, only the base salary of $620K would have been left under the 30% rule, which would have limited yearly growth in future years to $186K. As Sandersí base salaries rapidly grow over the remaining years of his contract, such a renegotiation would have violated the 30% rule. By only prorating a portion of his roster bonus, the remaining portion of the roster bonus ($2.83M) is included in the 30% calculation, making the renegotiation allowable under the CBA.

Other changes that ColtsCap has learned are that Sanders has a $500K workout bonus for 2009, as well as a $33,333 proration resulting from a conversion of a bonus for Sandersí 2007 Pro-Bowl berth.

The resulting calculation of Sandersí 2009 cap hit now places him with a 2009 cap hit of $6,130,832.

Geo
05-05-2009, 04:47 PM
http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=fee6a541-1a0b-4d74-abbe-16255c0b626e

COLTS RE-SIGN JOHNSON
Tuesday, May 5
By Colts Public Relations

INDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Colts have re-signed defensive tackle Ed Johnson, the club announced today.

Johnson (6-2, 296) joins the Colts after starting 16 games in 2007 and one game in 2008 for the club. Johnson, who has 73 career tackles, originally was signed as a free agent by the Colts on May 5, 2007. He had 63 stops, 49 solo, with one sack and one forced fumble in 2007, filling in for injured defensive tackle Booger McFarland. Johnson had 10 tackles against Chicago in the 2008 season opener. He was waived September 11, 2008.

“We are giving Ed Johnson another opportunity to play for the Indianapolis Colts. We dismissed Ed last year because he knowingly violated a team rule in the area of personal conduct. We consider every violation of a team rule or NFL policy on an individual case-by-case basis, and we evaluate a possible return to the team on that same basis. Ed understands our team rules and our mandate that players represent themselves as professionals at all times. We feel the lessons Ed has learned will allow him to be what we demand from our players,” said Colts Head Coach Jim Caldwell.

“I would like to thank the Colts, especially Jim Irsay, for this second privilege to join the team. I apologize to everyone for the situation I created last year. I have learned valuable lessons from my mistake, and I want to re-gain the trust of the organization, my teammates and our fans,” said Johnson.
Kind of surprising and out of the blue, but I think it's a good move.

Obviously, one more off-the-field mistake and Johnson in all likelihood blows his chance at an NFL professional career. That another team didn't even sign him as a back-up after his first mistake says a lot. But I seriously doubt he'll be getting in trouble.

And really there's no risk for the Colts to give him a second chance, especially now when they have depth at defensive tackle.

Philliez01
05-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Ed Johnson's re-signing completely caught me off guard. I honestly thought he was done in the league, but hopefully he can keep his head straight.

I think it's a good move. Ed was one of the better UDFA pick ups (which is saying something) for Indy and played a pivotal role in his lone full season. Gotta help but think that he'll continue contributing with Moala.

MaxV
05-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Yet more depth at the DT. I like it.

Hopefully, Ed has kept in shape.

Seamus2602
05-06-2009, 06:30 AM
The key thing about the Ed Johnson signing is that the team didn't have to do it. Last year, when the run defense was very poor, and we really needed a Defensive Tackle, the team didn't go to Ed Johnson. Now, they bring in Johnson when the team have a bit of quality on the Defensive Line and Johnson will realise that the team are doing him a favour, not him doing the team a favour. He owes Caldwell, Polian and Irsay, not the other way around.

Prowler
05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
no...howard mudd(oline coach) retires immediately due to changes in league pension rules. hopefully it doesn't affect the oline too much this year. i don't have a link but it just scrolled on the bottom of the screen on ESPN.

killxswitch
05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I like bringing back Ed Johnson. The question is which DT position will he play? Between the two Johnsons, Moala, and Taylor, there is suddenly a lot of talent and not enough positions to get them all on the field. It will be interesting to see what happens. I wonder if we see any new formations where three of them are all on the field at the same time. Moala at least could probably play DE against power run teams in certain situations.

Geo
05-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Here's the link to the article Prowler was talking about, give it a read because it explains things fairly well:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4143964

Basically in the recent owners' meetings they revised the pension plan for non-players, and the new formula of age + years coaching = 65 means that Mudd and Tom Moore have already maximized their pension, and that if they don't retire now they suffer in their reduced pension (according to what is said in the article).

Obviously the Colts losing Mudd is a blow, I'd rather have him than Tom Moore personally, but if the guy chooses to retire, what can you do but wish him well. And try to keep going on.

The media and people outside will will try to make this a huge deal and the Colts' first step into a coffin, of course. They'll just keep predicting the end of the Colts' success for 15 years, and they'll be finally be right one of these years if Peyton Manning should go down, and they'll say I told you so. Idiots. These are the same people who said the Colts were getting old last year, despite the fact that the Colts had the most players 25 years old or younger except for the complete rebuild Chiefs. Wonder what **** they'll come up next year, probably the loss of Tom Moore.

Pete Metzelaars has been with the Colts for 6 years to this point, as an Offensive Quality Control coach and also last year the official Assistant OL coach (probably stepped in when Mudd was dealing with his knee injury). Hopefully he learned well and can step in to do a good job, if he is in fact the successor at OL coach.

MaxV
05-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Damnit. That's a significant loss. I was hoping he would do his magic and turn Jaime Thomas into a star.

killxswitch
05-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't think the loss will be THAT bad. His replacement is his assistant so you've got to think he's going to continue Mudd's work. And the short yardage problem is one Mudd hasn't been able to fix for a while.

RagingColt
05-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Agree with the above comments, we still have at least one of the 5 youngest teams in the league. Sure loosing Mudd isn't a good thing for sure, but Meta-what's his name has been with the team long enough to do an adequate job. Besides our o-line play can only improve after the shuffling and inconsistency we had from last year.

The signing of Johnson boils down to a no lose situation for the Colts. If he keeps on the good path and contributes, then that's win for the organization. If not, then it's not a big loss as we already have draft picks and players from last year ready to fill the void.

The haters keep hating, and the Colts keep winning. So long as we have a healthy Manning, it's hard to imagine this team not winning at least 10 games a year. We have more depth going into this year than perhaps any other in recent memory. Time for this team to make another deep playoff run.

chad72
05-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Did you guys hear this BP interview on nfl.com?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapol...on-Colts-draft

Here, the first person he says will be improved is Pierre Garcon, not any other name. Garcon must have impressed BP real good for him to come out and say that.

The other thing I liked in his interview is his mention of Terrance Taylor coming from a wrestling background. So he already has a good sense of balance and leverage. Now, it is up to the coaches and him to translate those on to the field.

Dam8610
05-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Did you guys hear this BP interview on nfl.com?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapol...on-Colts-draft

Here, the first person he says will be improved is Pierre Garcon, not any other name. Garcon must have impressed BP real good for him to come out and say that.

The other thing I liked in his interview is his mention of Terrance Taylor coming from a wrestling background. So he already has a good sense of balance and leverage. Now, it is up to the coaches and him to translate those on to the field.

If you copy a link from another website, be sure to copy the whole link, not just the displayed text of it.

RagingColt
05-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Looks like Moore might be joining Mudd as well.

http://indyfootballreport.com/index.php/archives/1742

Geo
05-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Although I personally want Moore to retire, not now. It feels too late in the game, so to speak, although it's still early May so maybe not.

I wonder if Caldwell will consider signing someone from outside the organization.

Crazy off-the-wall idea I have: Mike Martz. It will never happen, but I wonder.

MaxV
05-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Although I personally want Moore to retire, not now. It feels too late in the game, so to speak, although it's still early May so maybe not.

I wonder if Caldwell will consider signing someone from outside the organization.

Heck NO! I don't want him. The most overrated coach in the history of NFL.

Seamus2602
05-07-2009, 02:22 AM
If I was a betting man I would imagine that the new Offensive Coordinator will be Clyde Christensen. He's the Wide Reciever's Coach and is also currently the Assistant Head Coach.

killxswitch
05-07-2009, 07:28 AM
5 coaches gone in 1 offseason. I struggle to see this in a positive light.

chad72
05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
If you copy a link from another website, be sure to copy the whole link, not just the displayed text of it.

Sorry about that, I was just in a rush to get the video out.

Here is the complete link:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/09000d5d81007211/Polian-on-Colts-draft

Geo
05-14-2009, 10:26 AM
USA Today: Altered pension plans could gut NFL coaching staffs (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-05-12-coaches-pensions_N.htm)

Has some quotes from Polian there, including the situation with the Colts and Mudd & Moore.

Dam8610
05-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Martz and Peyton? That would never work. Martz gets QBs killed.

Geo
05-14-2009, 08:01 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+South/Indianapolis/Features/2009/sohn051409.htm

Colts assistants Moore, Mudd officially retire
May 14, 2009

Colts assistant coaches Tom Moore and Howard Mudd have officially retired, the Indianapolis Star reports. The venerable offensive coordinator and OL coach have been planning on retiring for awhile after the league passed a ruling that allowed teams to revise their pension plans. Under the current bylaws, the coaches could take a lump sum of their retirement money, whereas they ran the risk of having their pensions reduced had they stayed on.

Moore and Mudd join head coach Tony Dungy and defensive coordinator Ron Meeks as key components to the Coltsí coaching staff that have departed since seasonís end. Assistant OL coach Pete Metzelaars and WR coach Clyde Christensen are expected to take over as OL coach and offensive coordinator.
Even though I was greatly disappointed with Moore's playcalling all of last season, and think he was a constant disappointment (harsher word would be failure) in putting the offense in positions to succeed in the playoffs, he still was a good offensive coordinator and the only one Peyton had known in the pros.

Mudd is the biggest loss imo, as he was the best coach. Without hesitation he's the one I would keep, over Dungy and Moore, if given the chance. But that's not really an option.

Sad to see both these guys go, but it's actually kind of fitting that they go out with Dungy and Harrison - that era, so to speak, is over. Congrats to both men on such long and storied careers as professional coaches, neither has a thing left to prove.

Hopefully Christensen is up to the task of OC, if he is the guy. Caldwell's been working with him for years, so he would know as well as anyone. Christensen did interview for the San Francisco OC job this offseason, but that was the only time I can recall him doing that (maybe because his contract was up?).

But if there's a guy Caldwell likes more, hopefully he can get him. I'm actually more confident in Caldwell selecting Moore's successor than Dungy, because Caldwell has the willingness and the strength to make the right move.

If/when Charlie Weis is fired from Notre Dame, I think he might be a prime candidate.

UKfan
05-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Hey guys, a combination of Geo's sig and the thread in the NFL forum here

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33803&page=2

Got me thinking about who you would bring back for the current day Colts, the thread says one offensive and one defensive player, but I listed a few players.

On O I chose Marshall Faulk, I feel he would be a better fit in todays NFL over Dickerson, but it was close, and a prime Marvin and Tarik Glenn also got big consideration. (I only went Indy Colts, no Baltimore Colts etc)

I kinda struggled on D, probably a result of my limited knowledge of the Indy Colts history, I basically said one of the linebackers back in the day, Marcus Washington, Mike Peterson etc. or maybe a prime Booger McFarland.

I would love to hear what some of you guys with more knowledge of our past think :)

Geo
05-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Polian on 1070 The Fan, confirms Christensen and Metzelaars will take over, respectively, as the new offensive coordinator and offensive line coach [MP3] (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/DanDakichShow/~3/EMmJtv1-a5s/05_15_09_Polian.MP3)

Seamus2602
05-16-2009, 01:44 PM
UKFan, I suggested Marvin Harrison and Tony Siragusa. Which creates a better Offense Harrison (in his prime), Wayne and Gonzalez, with Addai and Brown at RB, or Wayne, Gonzalez and Collie, with Faulk and Addai at RB?

For D, which is difficult because Indy has never been blessed with outstanding Defensive Players, I went with Siragusa. You suggested Booger. This is Booger but better.

Also, for UKFan's benefit, I leave you with this picture.

http://i43.tinypic.com/30j358w.jpg

MaxV
05-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Ellis Johnson in his prime would be an EXCELLENT addition to our team. He was a very good UT.

Don't forget that we also had Cornelius Bennett on our team, although that was at the end of his career.

On offense, how about a choice between Marshall Faulk, Erick Dickerson and Edgerrin James in their prime? Any one of these guys would be AWESOME.

However, I do agree with you regarding Marvin. He was an UNSTOPPABLE force.

UKfan
05-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Seamus, that was cold!

MaxV
05-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I'd like to add 2 more names to Defensive possibilities:

LB Tony Bennett and CB Ray Buchanan.

Both were great players in their prime.

As a matter of fact, Buchanan is probably the best choice.

Dam8610
05-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Are we only counting Indianapolis Colts history? If not I'm going with Art Donovan on D and John Mackey on O. Donovan is a HOF DT, and Mackey would give the offense a great 2 TE set again, and since the team seems to run those so often, it would be nice to have the best one possible.

UKfan
05-17-2009, 03:13 AM
I personally just did Indy Colts, but the rules are open for interpretation I guess, I think some Titans fans were doing Oilers as well, it's all up for debate.

Philliez01
05-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I do have to admire the Colts consistency.

Maybe not so much with Dungy but Moore, Mudd and Harrison were such longstays on this team and all of them were revered by the rest of the league. Very rarely do you see a team with such a good core of respected (well until the gun case) individuals that have that much staying power.

To tell a little personal story:

I'm younger than a few people on the Colts board, and my Colts fandom started a tad later. I'm in a family of Steelers fans (mostly due to my mother going to HS with Franco Harris and being neighbors) but they are diehard. When I was younger, just to be different, I looked for other teams. I loved Mark Brunell (which hurts me to say now given the Jags being our rivals) so I picked them for a couple years but when I was 7 or 8, I remember ESPN hyping up Manning for UT. He was a junior, I still remember him connecting with Marcus Nash on a huge pass (maybe against Vandy?). From then on, I was a huge Manning fan and I have a couple college posters of him in my room still and remember his conference announcing he'll stay for his SR year.

Anyway, he was drafted by the Colts and the Colts officially became my team. I went from a Manning fan to being so interested about the culture of them. Polian, Irsay, Moore, Mudd, Mora (then Dungy), and I loved the consistency. Usually a relatively big name would leave but not a star and they would be replaced easily (Dilger then later Clark as an example).

Now for the first real time in me being a fan, there's a huge change. The only thing bigger would be Manning retiring (which is eventually, somehow, going to happen). It's pretty funny how people you don't even know, nor will ever know, have been around for so long that you kinda miss them. But with change sometimes can come new great memories. I'll always remember Harrison's catch against the Pats on MNF....and the spike hitting I *THINK* Hobbs in the face.

SuperMcGee
05-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I know nobody likes that Mudd is gone, but I'm really excited for Metzelaars here. I know he's been with you guys for a while, how do you feel about him as the OL coach now? Any personal feelings on him as a coach or different expectations with him taking over? Buffalo was in a similar situation last year when McNally retired, and that didn't work out so great for our line; Peters especially.
I'm just hoping for the best for Metzelaars.

Seamus2602
05-19-2009, 06:25 AM
The key thing, in my opinion, is that we have been able to retain continuity. We lost a Head Coach, who has been with the Franchise since 2002 and an Offensive Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach, who have been with the Franchise since 1998. We replaced them with a new Head Coach who has been with the with the team since 2002, an Offensive Coordinator who has been with the Franchise since 2002 and an Offensive Line Coach who has been here since 2003.

The Franchise knew that Tony Dungy was planning to retire, so they prepped Jim Caldwell to replace him. They did the same with Christensen and Metzelaars. While we lost key staff in this offseason they were replaced very well, with either people who studied under them and shadowed them, or in the case of Meeks and Purnell, we have probably made upgrades. The team have also, with the retiring of Tom Moore and Howard Mudd, gotten younger. I would prefer, for the long term stability of the Franchise, for the new coaches to get a number of years under their belts before Manning retires. Could you imagine the state of the Offense if Moore and Mudd had waited 5 or so years?

Geo
05-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Fundraiser brings together Mike Hart, Chad Henne and Jake Long ( http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/football/index.ssf/2009/05/fundraiser_brings_together_mik.html)

http://blog.mlive.com/wolverinesfootball_impact/2009/05/medium_051909hart.jpg

While Henne and Long have rarely had opportunities to return to Ann Arbor, Hart has become a regular in the Schembechler Hall training and weight rooms during the past seven months.

Last October, in the season's fifth game, Hart suffered a torn ACL. He has since split his rehabilitation time between Michigan and Indianapolis, where he plays for the Colts.

A third-stringer last fall, Hart is anxious to return to the field. He said his knee is about 80 percent healthy, and he expects to be fully ready to play when training camp opens Aug. 2.

"I'm running and cutting and doing all those things," he said. "Now it's just a matter of time until I feel comfortable."

When camp begins, Hart will jostle with someone new for the spots behind starter Joseph Addai. In this year's NFL Draft, the Colts picked Connecticut's Donald Brown in the first round.

"It's nothing different than college," Hart said. "They'll always bring people in. There are always people to compete with. I'm excited to get out there and prove myself and prove that I can play."
<3

Dam8610
05-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Philliez, that spike hit Vrabel, link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLGIxMaca9o).

As for the changes, I'm most concerned about the changes in the scouting department. The Colts have had one of, if not the, best scouting departments in the NFL for the past decade or so, and now a lot of those people have left and are eligible to be picked up by other teams. Among the coaching changes, the one I'm most concerned about is Metzelaars, I'm actually excited to see what the others will do, such as if Christensen and Coyer will use personnel differently and more creatively, if Rychleski will improve special teams, and if Caldwell will continue to display the leadership he has shown thus far in the offseason. Filling in for Howard Mudd is going to be a challenge, though, we can only hope Metzelaars is as good at this job as he was at his previous job (he started with the team as an Offensive Quality Control coach in 2004).

Geo
05-19-2009, 12:30 PM
A far from flattering article on new offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-chris-harry-nfl-column-colts-051809,0,6560699.column)

Bleacher Report asks if the Colts should trade for Braylon Edwards (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/178787-should-the-indianpolis-colts-acquire-wr-braylon-edwards)

Answer: No.

Dam8610
05-19-2009, 12:44 PM
A far from flattering article on new offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-chris-harry-nfl-column-colts-051809,0,6560699.column)

Bleacher Report asks if the Colts should trade for Braylon Edwards (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/178787-should-the-indianpolis-colts-acquire-wr-braylon-edwards)

Answer: No.

I think Christensen has a lot more experience, a solid track record with the Colts, and most importantly, a whole lot more talent to work with on the Colts offense than he had on the Bucs offense.

As for the Edwards trade idea, I agree with you, but if all it would really take is Charlie Johnson, then I'd be pretty tempted.