PDA

View Full Version : How does Seattle get the right talent and value at the 4 spot?

J.Hens.
01-04-2009, 01:52 PM
To me, Seattle does not go QB.

Seattle has too strong of a core group of players:

Kerney, Hasselbeck, W.Jones, J.Jones, Branch, Tatupu, Trufant, Peterson

all of these players are in key career positions, and to me aren't meant to be a part of a rebuilding process, but rather a team that is meant to win now.

going QB makes us shell out top dollar for him to sit behind another expensive QB in Hasselbeck.

to me, Seattle likely has to draft an Offensive Linemen, because of Walter Jones injury questions, and because it allows us to make an immediate impact and also allows us to build for the future.

Other options may be Jenkins or Curry, if Leroy Hill leaves. I don't see us going corner because we have spent alot at the position recently. OLB seems like a reach to me.

personally, I want Taylor Mays on the team.

Seattle has struggled with tackling, coverage, and consistency in the secondary, and a player like him would impact us immediately and allow us to have a very strong secondary for years to come.

Only problem is, he's too much of a reach at the 4 spot most likely.

So do we trade down to the top 10? gather a late 2nd as well?

i wouldnt mind that personally.

any thoughts?

JFLO
01-04-2009, 01:59 PM
I agree about the Quarterback pick. It's too early to give up on Matt Hasselbeck, let alone spend probably near 60-70 million dollars on a rookie QB. Because, after Matt Ryan's 72 million dollar contract is going to make any team that selects Stafford and/or Bradford shell out that money.

I think, with the way the draft turns out, that the pick is Michael Crabtree or Malcolm Jenkins. Curry is gone by then while Walter Jones still has at least a year or two under his belt before he hangs 'em up.

I would say this, if Curry isn't there because that should be the pick at this point, then they could trade down to get a couple picks whether it be one this year and next.

keylime_5
01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I think Seattle will go either Andre Smith or Michael Crabtree depending on who is available. Linebackers don't go top five that often, and even Curry is that good why would they draft a sam linebacker #4 overall when they have 2 pro bowlers already in their linebacker unit. It doesn't make sense to me. If they go defense it would be Malcolm Jenkins.

BeerBaron
01-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Crabtree.

Unless of course, you really really want another year of guys like Courtney Taylor, and Koren Robinson and Keary Colbert and the tease that is Deion Branch (before he gets hurt again.)

Plus, if its Mora who is taking over, he has a history of drafting big receivers high as he drafted Michael Jenkins and Roddy White in the first round 2 years in a row when he was in Atlanta.

bearsfan_51
01-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Jenkins and White were late round guys, big difference with the 4th pick.

As for Seattle being built to win now. Apparently reality has no bearing on that designation.

RaiderNation
01-04-2009, 02:11 PM
I see them going Crabtree or Bradford. Bradford fits there offense perfectly and will get some time to learn behind Hassleback.

Halsey
01-04-2009, 02:15 PM
That's not a particularly good core IMO and guys like Kerney and Hasselbeck may have seen their best days go by. The Seahawks need more than 1 hyped up top 10 pick. They need to bring in numerous good players this offseason. There's numerous ways they could go with that pick and the value will depend on who's available.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 02:28 PM
That's not a particularly good core IMO and guys like Kerney and Hasselbeck may have seen their best days go by. The Seahawks need more than 1 hyped up top 10 pick. They need to bring in numerous good players this offseason. There's numerous ways they could go with that pick and the value will depend on who's available.

I agree, Hasselbeck is 33 going on about 60 and Wallace is a backup at best. What i would do and what the organization does is probably two differant things so i will say they take whoever is left from Stafford, Smith, Crabs and Jenkins. Trading down is always an option but they would have to like another tackle better than Smith (possible) or maybe target a guy like Bradford or Mays.

I would take Stafford if he were there and wouldn't take the full 10 minutes to get the card up to the podium either.

Halsey
01-04-2009, 02:35 PM
I agree, Hasselbeck is 33 going on about 60 and Wallace is a backup at best. What i would do and what the organization does is probably two differant things so i will say they take whoever is left from Stafford, Smith, Crabs and Jenkins. Trading down is always an option but they would have to like another tackle better than Smith (possible) or maybe target a guy like Bradford or Mays.

I would take Stafford if he were there and wouldn't take the full 10 minutes to get the card up to the podium either.

There's always a chance Hasselbeck could make a strong comeback, ala Kurt Warner. Most thought he was done a few years ago. Figuring out the chances that he can return to form should be priority #1 for Seattle.

jballa838
01-04-2009, 02:35 PM
if Taylor Mays really runs a 4.2 then we go with him. A Big Safety who is that fast and hits like a truck comes around twice in a lifetime (Sean Taylor R.I.P.) and I believe in Hasselbeck for another 2-3 years. I say we go QB in the 2nd or 3rd if we want one. Crabtree kind of scares me at this point, but not the same as Stafford. How often do we go down the field? That big arm and no footwork is going to do us no good. And we spent too much recently on RB's to justify picking Wells.

bearsfan_51
01-04-2009, 02:41 PM
There's always a chance Hasselbeck could make a strong comeback, ala Kurt Warner. Most thought he was done a few years ago. Figuring out the chances that he can return to form should be priority #1 for Seattle.
Hasslbeck was never as good of a quarterback as Kurt Warner.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 02:42 PM
if Taylor Mays really runs a 4.2 then we go with him. A Big Safety who is that fast and hits like a truck comes around twice in a lifetime (Sean Taylor R.I.P.) and I believe in Hasselbeck for another 2-3 years. I say we go QB in the 2nd or 3rd if we want one. Crabtree kind of scares me at this point, but not the same as Stafford. How often do we go down the field? That big arm and no footwork is going to do us no good. And we spent too much recently on RB's to justify picking Wells.

I really don't care what Mays runs because he plays about 4.4, which is good enough for me. I don't have a problem with Mays to Seattle. Besides we have to keep the QB seat warm for Jake Locker right?:)

J.Hens.
01-04-2009, 02:43 PM

Maybe so.

But Hasselbeck surely has never had the wealth of weapons Warner has had.

Chachi
01-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Crabtree sounds like the best pick for the Seahawks, if only another team would want to move up a few spots and the Seahawks could get some extra picks and take Crabtree, this would be ideal.

jballa838
01-04-2009, 02:44 PM
I really don't care what Mays runs because he plays about 4.4, which is good enough for me. I don't have a problem with Mays to Seattle. Besides we have to keep the QB seat warm for Jake Locker right?:)
Yes, but he isn't declaring until after he wins the next two NC's.
/dream

but in all actuality I <3 Taylor Mays.

J.Hens.
01-04-2009, 02:45 PM

I'm not really speaking so much in terms of talent, although to be honest, it really is a good core considering you have a hall of famer, and multiple pro bowlers that I just listed. The only one who hasn't been to one is Branch and Jones.

But mainly I'm talking financially. We spent most of our money in those areas on those players, and alot of them are in their prime, passed it or approaching it, which to me does not show that we are spending money on a rebuilding team right now.

If we go QB, can anyone explain to me how we financially support that position when we have other weaknesses that need to be addressed to win NOW?

J.Hens.
01-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Crabtree.

Unless of course, you really really want another year of guys like Courtney Taylor, and Koren Robinson and Keary Colbert and the tease that is Deion Branch (before he gets hurt again.)

Plus, if its Mora who is taking over, he has a history of drafting big receivers high as he drafted Michael Jenkins and Roddy White in the first round 2 years in a row when he was in Atlanta.

true.

i guess i just personally havent watched or seen crabtree that much, but if he's really an elite talent like everyone says, a nice WR would be a blessing for seattle.

one extra tidbit, did anyone know that Taylor Mays is from Seattle, and his dad is actually an executive for Microsoft? I wonder if the owner, Paul Allen will want to make some noise with a home town pick, and company pick for that matter.

Halsey
01-04-2009, 02:48 PM

That doesn't mean he can't return to being a quality NFL starter for a few more years.

Halsey
01-04-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm not really speaking so much in terms of talent, although to be honest, it really is a good core considering you have a hall of famer, and multiple pro bowlers that I just listed. The only one who hasn't been to one is Branch and Jones.

But mainly I'm talking financially. We spent most of our money in those areas on those players, and alot of them are in their prime, passed it or approaching it, which to me does not show that we are spending money on a rebuilding team right now.

If we go QB, can anyone explain to me how we financially support that position when we have other weaknesses that need to be addressed to win NOW?
It's great that guys were Pro Bowlers in the past and Jones is a HoFer, but this is 2009. Joe Montana was great in 1985. That doesn't mean he could be a great QB today.

jballa838
01-04-2009, 02:49 PM

Thank you. Nobody understands teh Cap Hit a QB sitting on the bench would be like. We need a now contributor. We need someone who will play from Day one before our talent runs out.

BeerBaron
01-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Thank you. Nobody understands teh Cap Hit a QB sitting on the bench would be like. We need a now contributor. We need someone who will play from Day one before our talent runs out.

Actually, if you load his contract with incentives based on playing time and accomplishments, it can be extremely affordable.

Brady Quinn isn't even going to sniff half the money in his contract since he hasn't been playing and unlocking those bonuses.

J.Hens.
01-04-2009, 02:52 PM
It's great that guys were Pro Bowlers in the past and Jones is a HoFer, but this is 2009. Joe Montana was great in 1985. That doesn't mean he could be a great QB today.

yeah man, i hear you, but when I said core players, I was more directly saying a financial core of players.

Basically, the players I just listed are all getting paid BIG to play for us. Which means we are spending the most of our money to aging players who are possibly either declining, or will be in the next 3 years or so.

Basically, our money isn't going to youth right now, so I feel like this team is spending most of its money to pay players that can win now.

jballa838
01-04-2009, 02:53 PM
He's going to want guaranteed money. They all do. lets pay 23 mil guaranteed for a holder and clipboard holder.

J.Hens.
01-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Actually, if you load his contract with incentives based on playing time and accomplishments, it can be extremely affordable.

Brady Quinn isn't even going to sniff half the money in his contract since he hasn't been playing and unlocking those bonuses.

yeah but Hasselbeck also has a big contract, so it's like, do we cut Hasselbeck in a year two and rely on this QB we drafted this year? I mean, or do we develop a QB starting next year, or from the 2nd round this year, and then use this unique opportunity to take a top talent at another position than QB.

and any top 4 QB is going to want to make their money, I mean it's just the way it is. they'd have to be pretty flexible to take a contract loaded that way, considering they could likely get paid more from another team.

BeerBaron
01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
yeah but Hasselbeck also has a big contract, so it's like, do we cut Hasselbeck in a year two and rely on this QB we drafted this year? I mean, or do we develop a QB starting next year, or from the 2nd round this year, and then use this unique opportunity to take a top talent at another position than QB.

and any top 4 QB is going to want to make their money, I mean it's just the way it is. they'd have to be pretty flexible to take a contract loaded that way, considering they could likely get paid more from another team.

Grab someone who's falling like Quinn I mentioned. Someone like Sam Bradford who I really don't love as a pro prospect. He needs to spend a year or two on the bench getting the spread offense out of his head and refining his pro style play. If he enters, I could easily see him fall.

In my most recent mock actually, I had Seattle take Crabtree at 4 and then trade their 2nd and 3rd rounder to move up to 20 I believe to take the tumbling Bradford.

In that instance, you could load his contract up with money he's unlikely to ever get.

bearsfan_51
01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
If the Seahawks drafted a QB they would cut Hasslebeck, I don't think there's any question about that. With the expansion of the cap they could probably stomach it in one year.

You're right that they probably won't do that, but it's not out of the question if they feel like the team has no chance next year.

J.Hens.
01-04-2009, 03:01 PM
yeah, but then i would assume they'd cut even more players

because why do you have a rookie QB carry your team, when you're wasting money paying top tier money to players like kerney, peterson, trufant and tatupu to play to lose.

J.Hens.
01-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Grab someone who's falling like Quinn I mentioned. Someone like Sam Bradford who I really don't love as a pro prospect. He needs to spend a year or two on the bench getting the spread offense out of his head and refining his pro style play. If he enters, I could easily see him fall.

In my most recent mock actually, I had Seattle take Crabtree at 4 and then trade their 2nd and 3rd rounder to move up to 20 I believe to take the tumbling Bradford.

In that instance, you could load his contract up with money he's unlikely to ever get.

that's not bad there, i really haven't thought about moving back up into the 1st with our later picks. seems unlikely, but a crabtree QB 1st round would be nice for the future

id rather see a OT-S if we did that though:eek:

Smokey Joe
01-04-2009, 03:03 PM
If Sanchez rises like I think he will, he's a must for you guys. QB is a much bigger need then Seahawks fans think it is.

Nalej
01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I just don't see how Seattle can pass on Crabtree here...
with all the injuries and different WR's they went through this year

bearsfan_51
01-04-2009, 03:04 PM
yeah, but then i would assume they'd cut even more players

because why do you have a rookie QB carry your team, when you're wasting money paying top tier money to players like kerney, peterson, trufant and tatupu to play to lose.
It depends on how much money is given out and how much is yet to be received. A guy like Tatupu isn't going to be cut, he'll be good for another 5-6 years, likely the same with Peterson and Trufant. Kerney could be cut, I don't know what the annual charge on his salary is, but I'm guessing a lot of his money has already been paid.

I don't claim to know what the Seahawks will do. But if they wanted to draft a QB I don't think Hasslebeck is going to stop them.

BeerBaron
01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
that's not bad there, i really haven't thought about moving back up into the 1st with our later picks. seems unlikely, but a crabtree QB 1st round would be nice for the future

id rather see a OT-S if we did that though:eek:

Before I elected to do that trade up it would have been Crabtree - Chung in the 2nd. S is a need for sure, but if you could basically grab the cornerstones for the future of your offense in one draft, that'd be a good way to go.

jballa838
01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
BF is right. They *Could* draft a qb. They *could* draft anyone really. I think to justify it, which is what this thread is about, we need a spark now.

J.Hens.
01-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Before I elected to do that trade up it would have been Crabtree - Chung in the 2nd. S is a need for sure, but if you could basically grab the cornerstones for the future of your offense in one draft, that'd be a good way to go.

yeah it would, i would be satisfied and comfortable with the future

i guess my thing is i really feel like this team does have alot of talent that we are banking on to be make impacts now

tatupu and trufant are prob good for more years, ur right

but peterson is at the 30 year mark, and so is kerney

we missed kerney a ton, and peterson missed him too

so i just think if we can get a player on the Oline or a Safety, that we could plug them in right now and have an impact player now, and for the remainder of their rookie contracts

Babylon
01-04-2009, 03:11 PM
It depends on how much money is given out and how much is yet to be received. A guy like Tatupu isn't going to be cut, he'll be good for another 5-6 years, likely the same with Peterson and Trufant. Kerney could be cut, I don't know what the annual charge on his salary is, but I'm guessing a lot of his money has already been paid.

I don't claim to know what the Seahawks will do. But if they wanted to draft a QB I don't think Hasslebeck is going to stop them.

I'm not sure Seattle knows what they're doing either. The problem i have with all these scenarios is it all boils down to grading football players. Just saying no to a QB for whatever reason really comes back to bite you in the ass if that QB turns out to be John Elway or Troy Aikman.

jballa838
01-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure Seattle knows what they're doing either. The problem i have with all these scenarios is it all boils down to grading football players. Just saying no to a QB for whatever reason really comes back to bite you in the ass if that QB turns out to be John Elway or Troy Aikman.
or another Strong Armed QB - Ryan Leaf.

J.Hens.
01-04-2009, 03:18 PM
exactly

if the QB turns out to be a stud in 5 years, what's not to say we couldn't have taken a QB next year and done the same?

i just think this placement in terms of where we are picking make it hard to pass up on a player that can start or play now.

Geo
01-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Jenkins and White were late round guys, big difference with the 4th pick.

As for Seattle being built to win now. Apparently reality has no bearing on that designation.
I know you meant late 1st guys, 51.

Atlanta actually traded back into the first to get Michael Jenkins, if I recall. Maybe that's something the Seahawks could consider if they don't land Michael Crabtree.

If I was Seattle, as tempting as Crabtree is, I'm not sure I wouldn't instead draft Malcolm Jenkins and then take a junior WR with their 2nd round pick (trading up or standing pat). Hakeem Nicks, if he declares, could be a good fit.

If Sam Bradford declares, that would make things very interesting.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 03:19 PM

Leaf had a pretty good arm but not great by Pro standards. Stafford has the best arm i've seen in 25 years. Obviously i see a differant situation there.

bearsfan_51
01-04-2009, 03:36 PM
i just think this placement in terms of where we are picking make it hard to pass up on a player that can start or play now.

Because you are assuming that the Seahawks still are a good football team and Matt Hasslebeck is a good quarterback, both of which are very questionable assumptions.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 06:08 PM
I see them going Crabtree or Bradford. Bradford fits there offense perfectly and will get some time to learn behind Hassleback.

I like Bradford for them since he'll need to sit for a little bit anyway and he will be a great WCO QB with time.

PACKmanN
01-04-2009, 06:14 PM
imo, the Seahawks have to play this draft right, most of their stars are hitting the wrong side of 30. I think they can go with anyone really.

summond822
01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
There is nothing the Seahawks could do about the injuries. It was freakish what happened to their WR core. There aren't many teams that could survive something like that.

That said, the worst part of the team this year was the defense. There was absolutely no pass rush after Kerney went down, and our corners and safeties did not play good all year. Thus making a pick on defense (Jenkins or Mays) is the wisest decision.

Hasselbeck's back is always going to be a question from now on, but the thing is, he is still a very good QB. I would rather take a project QB late on in the draft, since we need our early picks to make an impact immediately. Taking a player who was great in college doesn't always pan out, and I am more leery of Bradford than anyone because of the offense he is coming from. Stafford not so much, but I have issues with his footwork and consistency. I am starting to get the feeling that Stafford is going to go back to Georgia for his senior year, and come out next year a much better prospect.

gpngc
01-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Hasselbeck has never been and will probably never be an elite QB. But the fact is, this was the first time in FIVE years that he failed to bring Seattle to the playoffs.

He's never had a great group of WRs and had to deal with some extremely frustrating RB situations. I really think the Seahawks give him at least one more shot as the starter, and as its been stated in this thread, two of the most important players on the team are on the wrong side of 30 (QB, LT). Whether you agree or not, Seahawks brass believes they have two or three more years to win now before rebuilding.

The Seahawks draft in the Tim Ruskell era has not been too difficult to predict. There are a few things he looks for:

-Good character
-Experience (especially at a big-time program)
-Speed on defense
-Lack of size or bulk does not scare him- He likes the little guys who overcome physical deficiencies with hard work (Josh Wilson, Darryl Tapp)
-He also tends to lean towards the defensive side of the ball

Now the type of players that have these qualities are usually easy to take at the end of the first round-- which is where Ruskell has picked since he took over. At #4 overall however, there are much more tempting players who may have ideal size and may be underclassmen.

Will he give in to the hype and take the WR? I think it's more likely that the Seahawks trade with Oakland and take Taylor Mays at #7.

I just think there is too much $ involved to take a QB with a team that definitely thinks it can compete in the NFC West next year. And while a LT makes sense on paper, again, the Seahawks would be paying big bucks for someone to either sit on the bench or play inside until Jones retires (And I'm not even sure Locklear can't be the LT when that happens with Willis at RT).

History shows that top WRs don't always pan out, and even if they do-- it may take a few years. Unless Ruskell feels that Crabtree can:
a) Become a Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald/Andre Johnson elite WR
or
b) Make an immediate impact

then I think he sticks with what he's done usually and goes defense.

Iamcanadian
01-04-2009, 09:21 PM
First Seattle must decide if it has another SB run in them, if they answer, yes, then I wouldn't count Bearnie Wells out of the picture. This team was built to run the ball and they need a stud if they want to compete.
If they decide a rebuilding is in the works, then a QB is a great need if one is available or a LT to replace Jones. Curry might be hard to pass on as well.
I see no way they draft Crabtree or Mays. These guys simply aren't worth that high a pick.

d34ng3l021
01-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Crabtree.

Jim Mora really didn't have any say in the draft process. It was mostly Rich McKay.

Even with that said, I think Jenkins and Crabtree have to be the way to go. Drafting Jenkins can go a long way to a division with Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin.

Unbiased
01-04-2009, 10:15 PM
My irrelevant philosophy is if you have a top 5 pick, you go BPA no matter what.

KobeBryant833
01-04-2009, 11:23 PM
I hope the Seahawks trade down to the 10-15 pick range and take Taylor Mays. He is a straight up beast that will make a impact from day 1 for the Seahawks.

Bradford needs some work to be a Pro Quarterback unless you plan on using the spread offense.

If i was Mora i'd stick to my roots and draft defense, since he is a defensive minded coach.

OneToughGame
01-05-2009, 01:31 AM
I hope the Seahawks trade down to the 10-15 pick range and take Taylor Mays. He is a straight up beast that will make a impact from day 1 for the Seahawks.

Bradford needs some work to be a Pro Quarterback unless you plan on using the spread offense.

If i was Mora i'd stick to my roots and draft defense, since he is a defensive minded coach.

Which is another reason Jenkins or Mays make a lot of sense.

Iamcanadian
01-05-2009, 07:39 AM

Bradford will have to sit for a year no matter who drafts him. Junior QB's cannot just go up a level and handle the whole situation. It is tough enough for seniors.

Who says Mora will have much of a say in the draft. GM's usually make those decisions. They may allow Mora some input but that is where it ends. There are only a handful of NFL HC's who have a strong say in the draft and they have been with their current teams for many seasons.
HC's usually make for bad decision on draft day. They know the weaknesses on their current team and will often take a less talented prospect to fill a hole even if the pick is a real stretch. GM's can have 2 priorities, the current team and the long term health of the franchise and won't hesitate to draft a player of superior talent even if it is questionable for the current team. Mora, IMO, will have little say in the draft other than putting forth a wish list.

Hasselback may be able to play a couple of more seasons, then again his back could continue to diminish his skills. If a QB like Bradford falls to the Seattle pick, it will be very tempting to draft him, let him sit for a year and then hand the reigns over to him. If he is successful, Seattle will be a contender once again, maybe for another decade. That is going to be very tempting for the SeaHawks.

Halsey
01-05-2009, 10:55 AM

Ryan Leaf comparisons are made every year to draft eligible QB's. I could show you comparisons between Matt Ryan and Ryan Leaf from a year ago by using the search function. Ryan Leaf was a unique case because he turned out to be a head case, as evidenced by him resigning recently from his small college coaching job for asking a player for painkillers. The annual Ryan Leaf comparisons are invalid and tired.