PDA

View Full Version : Lauranaits & Maualuga: What did they lose by staying in school?

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 03:33 PM
These guys should have come out last year.
It appears that both guys are going to be drafted lower this year than they would have last year. For sure JL. And both guys played for free, and risked injury. Did they get any better or get further exposed?

Anytime a guy can come out and get instand millions, I say take the cash and turn pro. Don't stay to improve when you can improve while being paid. If you want to stay to chase a National Title, that is honorable, but that's such a long shot and is in the hand of the BcS pollster frauds anyway.

Matt Leinart, Michael Bush, Maualuga, Lauranaitis.... they'd have to agree with me. What about Brian Brohm?

Anyone else agree, or am I the only one who thinks like from the agent point of view? Think about it: Would you turn down 2 or 3 million dollars right now to take a chance to make 4 million instead next year, but be one play away from tearing your ACL or breaking your leg? JL and RM didn't even suffer the injury, and they appear to be about to lose out anyway.

Sniper
01-04-2009, 03:34 PM
Learn to use the search function instead of starting 871 threads a day.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Who knows how much money it translates too. I think they would have both been top 15 picks last year and i honestly think they will be this year too. I guess you could say that's a years pay it will be hard to make up but who really knows. I doubt either went back thinking it would help their draft stock and neither probably cared either.

RaiderNation
01-04-2009, 04:31 PM
Maualuga will be top 15 pick this year. I think Laurinaitis will fall into the 20's

keylime_5
01-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Maualuga should be a top 20 pick this year, but there's a chance both these guys could fall into the 20s or beyond. No doubt for me that they both would've gone higher last year when there was less linebacker talent and less film for the scouts to pick apart.

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Maualuga should be a top 20 pick this year, but there's a chance both these guys could fall into the 20s or beyond. No doubt for me that they both would've gone higher last year when there was less linebacker talent and less film for the scouts to pick apart.
That's the type of imput we appreciate here.
SNIPER, great insight. I must have missed your earlier "don't stay in school" thread.

Sniper
01-04-2009, 04:42 PM
That's the type of imput we appreciate here.
SNIPER, great insight. I must have missed your earlier "don't stay in school" thread.

You missed the other 86 threads about Maualuga and Laurinaitis.

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Yeah eh?
You're monitoring the other 85 eh Snipper, and who started the other 85 eh?

Babylon

Quit piling on the guy with all this Laurinaitis talk.

Sniper
Quitpiling on the guy with all this Laurinaitis talk.

Well done sir, well done.

Atari, your attempt at Canadian humor fails miserably.

Pokeys
01-04-2009, 05:38 PM
They would be millionaires now if they came out last season.

Race for the Heisman
01-04-2009, 05:43 PM

They're both going to be millionaires in a few months anyway and they probably have a better chance of being richer for longer now that both are likely to land in a spot more suitable for them due to the extra year of film.

Zyro_1014
01-04-2009, 05:44 PM

they will be millionaires in a couple months.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 05:44 PM

I'm about half as wealthy as i was a year ago, maybe they would be too.

SuperKevin
01-04-2009, 05:46 PM
The two of them have now had the chance to graduate from college which is huge. They'll still make millions this year in the NFL so it really doesn't matter. I applaud them for thinking about their futures and their teammates.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Well first of all there's a lot better linebackers in this draft which has pushed them both down from potentially the top LBs in the league to at best battling for the third LB spot with Weatherspoon and Sintim.

Add to that that people have realized their strong flaws, JL's ability to play in an aggressive scheme where his first step is forwards and his ability to shed blockers against the run, for Rey rey we've noticed how many tackles he misses due to going for the knockout shot, his poor coverage skills and his stiffness going sideline to sideline.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=giantsfan;1406614]Well first of all there's a lot better linebackers in this draft which has pushed them both down from potentially the top LBs in the league to at best battling for the third LB spot with Weatherspoon and Sintim.

As a group i think the linebacking crew is pretty tight. JL and Rey are inside guys so from that standpoint i think they are at the top of that position.

underscore
01-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Maualuga has gotta quit grinding Erin Andrews on the sideline during nationally televised games if he wants to avoid character issue questions.

Menardo75
01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Honestly JL is the only one that really hurt his stock. He will probably be somewhere in the late first round range. I think Rey's stayed the same, and if it didn't he was going to be picked in the same spot regardless.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Well first of all there's a lot better linebackers in this draft which has pushed them both down from potentially the top LBs in the league to at best battling for the third LB spot with Weatherspoon and Sintim.

As a group i think the linebacking crew is pretty tight. JL and Rey are inside guys so from that standpoint i think they are at the top of that position.

Brandon Spikes? in a Three-Four you've got to include Sintim and Curry above those two as well as ILBs.

Scott Wright
01-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I actually wrote about Laurinaitis' situation in my blog on December 9th:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/blog/Wright-Stuff-Blog.php

Zyro_1014
01-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Maualuga has gotta quit grinding Erin Andrews on the sideline during nationally televised games if he wants to avoid character issue questions.

having fun and joking around is considered a character issue?

its not like erin was pissed about it.

Menardo75
01-04-2009, 07:59 PM

I would let Rey grind on me.

Bruce Banner
01-04-2009, 08:05 PM

did she even know what happened immediately afterward?

quit spewing lies in the defense of your beloved USC.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 08:18 PM

I don't think it makes him a bad person or anything but as scott's mentioned in the other rey rey thread, there are already questions about his maturity and that doesn't make him seem more grown up.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 08:19 PM

Of course she didn't, that's how we know she wasn't pissed.

Zyro_1014

ummm alright? we would be hearing about it if Erin Andrews was offended.

Bruce Banner
Of course she didn't, that's how we know she wasn't pissed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/sparkley_dudette/clap.gif

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 08:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/sparkley_dudette/clap.gif

I love that movie.

AtariBigby
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I actually wrote about Laurinaitis' situation in my blog on December 9th:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/blog/Wright-Stuff-Blog.php

Here's part of Scott's summary about JL's decision:

When Laurinaitis made the decision to return to school money was obviously not the only or most important factor, but strictly from a financial standpoint he may have cost himself millions of dollars on his initial rookie contract by delaying the start of his pro career. That's not to say he won't play in the NFL for a very long time and ultimately make that money up in the long run, but from a short-term economic perspective his decision to spurn last year's draft appears to have been a bad one.

Now it's not all about money, but I am still surprised he made that decision, as I am still shocked Matt Leinart stayed the extra year. Would the 49ers be better if they had the chance to take Leinart that year instead of Alex Smith? Could Leinart be a young star by now? Or would Leinart have sucked on that team?

illmatic74
01-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Here's part of Scott's summary about JL's decision:

Now it's not all about money, but I am still surprised he made that decision, as I am still shocked Matt Leinart stayed the extra year. Would the 49ers be better if they had the chance to take Leinart that year instead of Alex Smith? Could Leinart be a young star by now? Or would Leinart have sucked on that team?Leinart would be worse. Leinart was mediocre throwing to Boldin and Fitsgerald imagine him playing for the 49ers.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Brandon Spikes? in a Three-Four you've got to include Sintim and Curry above those two as well as ILBs.

Spikes, Curry and Sintum are all outside guys in my opinion.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Spikes, Curry and Sintum are all outside guys in my opinion.

Spikes can play outside but he's going to be a monster on the inside and in a 3-4 I wouldn't play any of those guys outside, maybe Sintim but he'll be better off inside where he doesn't have to go up against NFL OTs often.

energizerbunny
01-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Rey will probably go around the same place, At this time before the offseason process beings I say James lost about 20 picks.

giantsfan
01-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Rey will probably go around the same place, At this time before the offseason process beings I say James lost about 20 picks.

Meh some people thought Rey could go top 10 in last years draft, I can't imagine him going that high this year unless Spikes and Herzlich go back to school

P-L
01-05-2009, 09:02 AM
These guys didn't get worse, it's just that most top junior prospects get overhyped. Now that scouts have an extra year of film they get to see the whole picture and these guys are getting full evaluations. Eyes have been on them all year, so their flaws cannot go unnoticed.

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 12:11 PM
These guys didn't get worse, it's just that most top junior prospects get overhyped. Now that scouts have an extra year of film they get to see the whole picture and these guys are getting full evaluations. Eyes have been on them all year, so their flaws cannot go unnoticed.
That's a good point, and is nothing new. I don't know how scouts can't get this message to the prospects. These kids are at USC or Ohio State or THE U, or LSU not to get the school's prestigious degree. Let's not kid oursleves. They're there on their way to the NFL hopefully. When those millions are on the plate as a junior, you take it. That school won't go out of business in the meantime (even in this economy). Kid can finish that degree when he's out of the league at age 26 or 30 or 34, but with $ millions in his pocket. Then he can choose to get a real job, if he needs to or wants to.

Shahin
01-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Well done sir, well done.

Atari, your attempt at Canadian humor fails miserably.

Why do you constantly clown on this guy?

As for Maualuga and Lauranaitus(?), I don't think Rey is in any danger of slipping, but L(screw it) may drop a few spots as compared to last year.

And nobody gives a **** about canadian humor.

Sniper
01-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Why do you constantly clown on this guy?

Because he jumps on piles all the time. Less than 50% of his tackles are solo tackles. For an elite LB, that sucks.

illmatic74
01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
These guys didn't get worse, it's just that most top junior prospects get overhyped. Now that scouts have an extra year of film they get to see the whole picture and these guys are getting full evaluations. Eyes have been on them all year, so their flaws cannot go unnoticed.The same is being done with Spikes right now. He has become overhyped by a lot of people right now. So people are talking top 10 or 15 right now with Spiles which is utterly ridiculous.

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 04:33 PM
The same is being done with Spikes right now. He has become overhyped by a lot of people right now. So people are talking top 10 or 15 right now with Spiles which is utterly ridiculous.

He's only behind Curry, granted I would wait until 15-20 for him but that's because I don't think LB is a position that you should be addressing very early, anyways he's still the second best LB in this draft, with only Herzlich being able to leapfrog him if he comes out and beasts it at the combine.

Babylon
01-05-2009, 11:30 PM
JL played his ass off tonight. He gets to most plays but he just isnt going to make the big play to turn the game around. Guess that isnt what you expect from an ILB.

Shahin
01-06-2009, 04:45 AM
Because he jumps on piles all the time. Less than 50% of his tackles are solo tackles. For an elite LB, that sucks.

I meant AtariBigby, but that's fair enough haha.

AtariBigby
01-06-2009, 08:20 AM
I meant AtariBigby, but that's fair enough haha.

I knew you meant that Shahin, but then I'm brighter - more like you are. ;)