PDA

View Full Version : Players worth trading up for?

Race for the Heisman
01-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Simple question: given the distribution of talent at any position, what guys do you think are worth trading up for? Obviously any player could be worth trading up for, but who in your mind stands out?

The foremost guy in my mind is Taylor Mays. He's a top 10 safety, probably not top 5 so the cost to move up isn't exorbitant and the drop-off between him and the next guy, whether you think it is Moore, Johnson, Chung, or Delmas, is a lot.

I guess perhaps Duke Robinson as well. Normally I'd be opposed to trading up for a guard but I think the difference between Robinson and Johnson is can't be understated and if all you really need is a guard then he might be worth it. On the same note, the difference between Herman Johnson and Trevor Canfield or Andy Levitre of whomever you like is also big enough that teams could trade up for him (Johnson) as well.

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't know about Mays, I'm not a big Taylor Mays fan

Halsey
01-04-2009, 06:49 PM
If a team needs a QB and they like a certain guy, but not other QB's available, he's worth trading up for. The Broncos and Giants have traded up for QB's in recent years with pretty good results.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Id say whichever OT that falls out of the top ten. Like if Pittsburg falls in love with with Oher or JSmith, I could see them moving up.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-04-2009, 06:53 PM
The 4th OT especially if Britton does not declare. The drop off from the 4th OT to 5th is potentially huge. 5th OT might just have a late 2nd grade, as opposed to the 4th OT probably having a mid first grade.

BeerBaron
01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
The 4th OT especially if Britton does not declare. The drop off from the 4th OT to 5th is potentially huge. 5th OT might just have a late 2nd grade, as opposed to the 4th OT probably having a mid first grade.

I think Britton already did declare...thought I saw him on Scott's list the other day.

So the top OTs I think count 5 now. A Smith, Monroe, Oher, J Smith and Britton.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 06:59 PM

Britton did declare and he would have to be considered a late 1st round pick (easily)

I would probably trade up to #1 actually if i'm KC, Seattle or even a Tampa but i'm sure that's just me talking.

Menardo75
01-04-2009, 07:05 PM
It's looking like there might be a record for offensive lineman taken in the first round this year.

kmartin575
01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Britton did declare and he would have to be considered a late 1st round pick (easily)

I would probably trade up to #1 actually if i'm KC, Seattle or even a Tampa but i'm sure that's just me talking.

As a Chiefs fan I certainly want Matthew Stafford but i'm not sure whether I would trade up to #1. If Detroit wants him so bad then they won't trade out of that spot anyways. And if they don't want him then they might be willing to trade but then why would the Chiefs be trading up? There is the possibility that St. Louis could take him but personally I think they will stick with Bulger with the money they have invested in him and just take a tackle. The only other reason I could see us trading up then is simply to prevent another team to jump up in front of us.

So long story short, it might be risky but I would take our chances and hope Stafford falls to #3. If Detroit doesn't take him I think he's in the bag.

kmartin575
01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
It's looking like there might be a record for offensive lineman taken in the first round this year.

Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Chris Williams
Branden Albert
Gosder Cherilus
Jeff Otah
Sam Baker
Duane Brown

I don't know, I think it might be hard to pass that up. Not sure if that is the record or not but either way I don't see this years class passing up 8 offensive linemen in the first round.

BeerBaron
01-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Andre Smith
Michael Oher
Jason Smith
Eugene Monroe
Eben Britton
Duke Robinson
Alex Mack
Max Unger

I really think only they have a shot......it would tie last years of 8.

Menardo75
01-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Chris Williams
Branden Albert
Gosder Cherilus
Jeff Otah
Sam Baker
Duane Brown

I don't know, I think it might be hard to pass that up. Not sure if that is the record or not but either way I don't see this years class passing up 8 offensive linemen in the first round.

If you look outside of just the tackles

Andre Smith
Eugene Monroe
Michael Oher
Eben Britton
Alex Mack
Duke Robinson
Jason Smith
Ciron Black
Max Unger

It is possible is all im saying.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Bleh Ciron. And I really doubt both Mack and Unger go round 1. IMO one of the either, I have a hunch Unger goes first because of his versatility but if I am looking center I go Mack.

RaiderNation
01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
If one the QB's fall I could see a team trade up( browns in 2007). But I think a team in the late teens will trade up for Malcolm Jenkins

PACKmanN
01-04-2009, 07:57 PM
This draft is so deep I don't think a team needs to trade up to try and get the better talent.

Zyro_1014
01-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't know about Mays, I'm not a big Taylor Mays fan

you must not like good football players.

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
you must not like good football players.

I'm just not sold on his ability to cover as a FS. I want to see him at the combine flip his hips and see how he runs and covers compared to guys like Rashad Johnson and Louis Delmas and Derek Pegues, etc.

Zyro_1014
01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm just not sold on his ability to cover as a FS. I want to see him at the combine flip his hips and see how he runs and covers compared to guys like Rashad Johnson and Louis Delmas and Derek Pegues, etc.

have you watched USC play this year? he takes away the entire field!

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
have you watched USC play this year? he takes away the entire field!

I have watched about 3 of their games, so I'll defer to your opinion can he play FS in the NFL?

energizerbunny
01-04-2009, 10:45 PM
the player worth trading up for is the player that makes the biggest immediate impact to your team and helps your team get to that next level , it doesn't matter where you draft em it matters how they play.

Babylon
01-04-2009, 10:56 PM
If you look outside of just the tackles

Andre Smith
Eugene Monroe
Michael Oher
Eben Britton
Alex Mack
Duke Robinson
Jason Smith
Ciron Black
Max Unger

It is possible is all im saying.

Either way i like the quality of this years group better.

MNRunLeft
01-05-2009, 12:12 AM
If Bradford declares and were to take a little bit of a slide I could see a few teams interested in moving up to get him. If Detroit and KC pass he could easily slide to SF at 10 where Scott had him in the latest, and as he points out who knows if SF will be willing to go QB so high once again. If he were somehow to get past SF he could really tumble with teams from 11-16 all seemingly set at QB.

I'm not saying he'll fall that far, we've seen it before with Quinn.

ChiFan24
01-05-2009, 12:41 AM
What about B.J. Raji? It's not often you find a legitimate first round nose tackle. If he continues to impress I could see some team trying to trade into the 10-ish area for him, especially one making the switch to the 3-4.

SMoore
01-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Andre Smith
Michael Oher
Jason Smith
Eugene Monroe
Eben Britton
Duke Robinson
Alex Mack
Max Unger

I really think only they have a shot......it would tie last years of 8.

You could add Herman Johnson. I know guards don't get picked early, but it wouldn't shock me if he sneaks into the late first.

Zyro_1014
01-05-2009, 01:10 AM
I have watched about 3 of their games, so I'll defer to your opinion can he play FS in the NFL?

yes, he can. he will be ridiculous once hes covering half of the field instead of the whole thing.

keylime_5
01-05-2009, 10:26 AM
Mays is worth trading up for if you're in the late first and need a safety badly. Crabtree is the guy though that there will lots of talk about teams trading up for b/c he is far and away the top WR in the draft and teams who want a dominating #1 WR will have to get in the top 3 or 4 to get him.

P-L
01-05-2009, 11:01 AM
I'll say Crabtree, but that depends on his 40 time.