PDA

View Full Version : Raji vs Ngata

furiousgod
01-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Ive watched Raji a considerable amount and i personally think he has a decent shot to go 7-15 and a lock 15-25 but with that being said, How does he compare to Ngata comming out of college? Did Ngata have the same motor? did he play with exceptional leverage? All i realy know about ngata is he had motor problems comming out of college and he had acl surgery his last year. So i guess my question is does anyone have extensive knowledge about the two and are able to compare strengths/weaknesses or differences? discuss please =)

JaxJag_1
01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
B.J. Raji reminds me more of Jamal Williams

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
no one is ngata ngata is god

giantsfan
Ngata smokes Raji as a prospect and I'm a big fan of Raji's.

AtariBigby
Good question... let me ask you this question about Raji since you have watched him a considerable amount:
Do you think he'll be a better 3-4 NT or a 4-3 DT?
How is he against the run? And does he ever get to the QB?

My Packers need help everywhere on the DL.

SenorGato
Ngata's 4 inches taller and still as athletic. Otherwise, they're both nasty space eating DT's.

Please don't pigeon hole space eating DT's as "just" run stoppers.

I actually like the Wilfork comparson for Raji.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
NGATA is def not just a run stopping DT he goes into coverage all the time

regoob2
01-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I liked Ngata more than any DT in recent memory. Including Dorsey and Ellis.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-04-2009, 08:48 PM
get used to liking him hes only 24 and just going to get better

furiousgod
01-04-2009, 08:48 PM
B.J. Raji reminds me more of Jamal Williams

i wasnt saying there games were the exact same all i ment was since Ngata was the most recent NT to be drafted top15 what are there differences and based off of that what are raji's chances of going top 15. Thats alli wanted to discuss personally, not who replicates his playstyle more. Just wanted to make a point to point comparison to see if he is worth a top 15 didnt really want a comparison thread thats why i put versus.

furiousgod
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Good question... let me ask you this question about Raji since you have watched him a considerable amount:
Do you think he'll be a better 3-4 NT or a 4-3 DT?
How is he against the run? And does he ever get to the QB?

My Packers need help everywhere on the DL.

personally i strongly believe he can be highly successful at any 4 3 dt position. He has the leverage/technique to eat up doubles and slide off for tackles at the line of scrimmage and he also has the speed/agility/motor to penetrate at the UT but he would be best suited for the 4-3 NT IMO strongly based off of the point that he can pass rush and play the run, having him stay home a lot in the 3-4 would be partially under utilizing him IMO.

Geo
01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Got to love Mark Schlereth calling Ngata a bust on Draft day. LOL!

johbur
01-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I saw Ngata live and he was everything advertised. What amazed me about him then was how fast his lateral movement was at his size. I would have been pleased had TT traded down and picked him up for the Packers if Hawk had been off the board.

I don't think Raji is as agile, but he looks very solid and I'd be pleased with him as GB's NT, though not at #9. I think he's a mid-teens type of player.

Smokey Joe
01-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I would love to get B.J. Raji for my Bears. We need a NT like him. Someone like him would make everyone on the D play better, especially Urlacher.

FlutiesDropKick
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't think Raji is as agile, but he looks very solid and I'd be pleased with him as GB's NT, though not at #9. I think he's a mid-teens type of player.

One of his greatest strengths is his agility and burst, i think the fact that he's getting set as a definite nose in the 3-4 is setting him up to fail. He does relish the opportunity to stuff the run but he is exceptional when it comes to his pass rush ability. At BC you were more likely to see him chasing down the ball carrier out wide or getting to the QB while Brace was more the stay at home run anchor on the interior. That being said Raji still has that ability but if he's forced into a strictly NT position he will be limiting his impact, a hybrid type D where he can utilize both his strengths would be best. Its his motor and versatility for his size that makes him such a great prospect.

As for Ngata I have no idea but as a BC student I've seen every down of Raji this season and after being in an elevator that stopped while he was in it can attest to his sheer size.

energizerbunny
01-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Raji isn't quite as good as Haloti but he is just as good as both Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis.

Raji is getting quite underrated at this point, just wait to the offseason process starts, that is all we will be hearing about.

FlutiesDropKick
01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I would love to get B.J. Raji for my Bears. We need a NT like him. Someone like him would make everyone on the D play better, especially Urlacher.

His presence accounted for the Ability to roam that Herzlich was able to excel with and especially helped McGLaughlin succeed in the middle behind him. Freeing up that kind of space for someone like Urlacher is just not even fair.

niel89
01-04-2009, 09:36 PM
ngata was said to have a motor problem at the time. but with ray lewis behind you, you get motivated real fast.

Yatta!
01-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Raji isn't quite as good as Haloti but he is just as good as both Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis.

Raji is getting quite underrated at this point, just wait to the offseason process starts, that is all we will be hearing about.

I agree that Raji is underrated but not that much. There is no way he'll be considered a top 5 pick at any point during the process. Raji is good but Dorsey and Ellis were much better prospects.

SuperKevin
01-05-2009, 08:52 AM
I don't even know why this is even up for discussion. Raji is talented but he's nowhere near the level of Ngata.