PDA

View Full Version : Trade Value - Boldin

cardinalsfan
01-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Being a cardinals fan I'm torn on Boldin. I think he needs to be traded for financial and distributing talent reasons. With Roy Williams being traded for a 1st and 3rd rounder (i believe), what value does Boldin demand? Also what teams do you guys think will be interested and have the ability to trade?

jdcozart
01-05-2009, 03:58 PM
The Eagles should trade for him. Seems like they have never had one legit WR with the exception of TO. Boldin is a beast and I would be willing to give up more for Boldin than Williams.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-05-2009, 04:03 PM
The Eagles should trade for him. Seems like they have never had one legit WR with the exception of TO. Boldin is a beast and I would be willing to give up more for Boldin than Williams.

Yes Boldin would be a great acquisition for the Eales and since we have two 1st round picks this year it wouldn't be too costly.

Zyro_1014
01-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Yes Boldin would be a great acquisition for the Eales and since we have two 1st round picks this year it wouldn't be too costly.

oh god, i would do terrible things for boldin.

GB12
01-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Well you'd probably have to use those two firsts to get him.

Number 10
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
The Cowboys vastly overpaid for Roy Williams. If the Cardinals think that Jerry Jones set the market for WR trades, Boldin will not be traded because you are talking about two first rounders and maybe more for Boldin.

Xiomera
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Being a cardinals fan I'm torn on Boldin. I think he needs to be traded for financial and distributing talent. With Roy Williams being traded for a 1st and 3rd rounder (i believe), what value does Boldin demand? Also what teams do you guys think will be interesting and have the ability to trade?

Realistically, I think the package Roy Williams was traded for wouldn't go much higher for a different WR.

Obviously Williams isn't a top 10 receiver, but Top 10 receivers are rarely traded. I just don't think Arizona can expect teams to offer up multiple 1sts despite Boldin's awesomeness. It'd be kinda unprecedented. Even Randy Moss wasn't traded for multiple 1st's when he was in his prime.

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Dallas was heisted on the Roy Williams deal. That guy's a malcontent, and one who can't run routes and is slow.

But don't forget what Washington apparently offered Cinci for Ocho Cinco, and the stupid Bengirls turned it down.

I think AZ could get a 1st & a 3rd or a player for Boldin, and I agree that they should do it. But the Eagles 1st is going to be too low. The other #1 is from Carolina right, also low. It might take both firsts for Boldin and a #3 pick from AZ. What a blockbuster it could be.

Washington, Miami, Tampa Bay, Chicago also could get into the bidding and have juicier picks. It will be fun to watch.

Nice first post CardsFan.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Redskins will give you the 13th pick, Randle El and whatever the hell else you want.

Xiomera
01-05-2009, 04:14 PM
If Millen were still here, the Lions would probably give the Cards #1 #20, and #33.

Because as we all know, Calvin Johnson + Anquan Boldin = Unstoppable, even without the advantage of a decent O-Line or Quarterback, not to mention any semblance of a defense.

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Boldin to Philly for Philly's 1st round pick in 2009 (about #25 probably), and CB Lito Sheppard.

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 04:16 PM
If Millen were still here, the Lions would probably give the Cards #1 #20, and #33.

LOL.
Not true though!
Millen preferred to DRAFT unproven collegiate WRs, not bring in a proven one on the NFL level.

I still remember Mel Kiper rating WR Mike Williams as his #1 overall prospect that draft that the Lions took him like at #9......

cardinalsfan
01-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Dallas was heisted on the Roy Williams deal. That guy's a malcontent, and one who can't run routes and is slow.

But don't forget what Washington apparently offered Cinci for Ocho Cinco, and the stupid Bengirls turned it down.

I think AZ could get a 1st & a 3rd or a player for Boldin, and I agree that they should do it. But the Eagles 1st is going to be too low. The other #1 is from Carolina right, also low. It might take both firsts for Boldin and a #3 pick from AZ. What a blockbuster it could be.

Washington, Miami, Tampa Bay, Chicago also could get into the bidding and have juicier picks. It will be fun to watch.

Nice first post CardsFan.

Wow, sounds like the eagles are in love with Boldin already. Just wait until they watch highlight videos all offseason of him and dream of having him on their team.

I wasn't sure if this forum was the right area to post this topic, but I did want to get a sense of what other people thought teams might offer in terms of draft picks for him. It could have a huge influence on what happens during draft day. Again, I'd hate to lose Boldin, but its obvious we need to spread the talent around to different areas of the team as we have a great #1 and emerging #2 in Breaston.

Number 10
01-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Boldin to Philly for Philly's 1st round pick in 2009 (about #25 probably), and CB Lito Sheppard.

That won't do it.

I think you're looking at #25 and a 2010 1st if Philly wants him. Possibly even Jason Avant in addition.

Xiomera
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
LOL.
Not true though!
Millen preferred to DRAFT unproven collegiate WRs, not bring in a proven one on the NFL level.

I still remember Mel Kiper rating WR Mike Williams as his #1 overall prospect that draft that the Lions took him like at #9......

Williams went #10 actually, so it's even a bigger steal than you recall. Praise Millen.

So you don't consider Az-Zahir Hakim and Bill Schroeder to be big name WR's? Huh, well you and Millen will have to agree to disagree then. haha

Bruce Banner
01-05-2009, 04:20 PM

Because as we all know, Calvin Johnson + Anquan Boldin = Unstoppable, even without the advantage of a decent O-Line or Quarterback, not to mention any semblance of a defense.

LOL

It really never gets old.

Xiomera
01-05-2009, 04:21 PM
LOL

It really never gets old.

Eh, it gets old when non-Lions fans make the joke.

And now that Millen is out of town, that defeats its validity otherwise.

BeerBaron
01-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Realistically, I think the package Roy Williams was traded for wouldn't go much higher for a different WR.

Obviously Williams isn't a top 10 receiver, but Top 10 receivers are rarely traded. I just don't think Arizona can expect teams to offer up multiple 1sts despite Boldin's awesomeness. It'd be kinda unprecedented. Even Randy Moss wasn't traded for multiple 1st's when he was in his prime.

Well, the Vikings did get a first (Troy Williamson) and a former first rounder Napoleon Harris. Can't remember if there were any later picks involved or not....

If I were the Eagles and were pretty set at other positions, I'd gladly trade both my firsts for Boldin.

However, they're about to lose their starting TE to FA and possibly their starting FS too. (Even if they resign Dawkins he won't be a long term answer there.) They also have two aging OT's and, if they were to trade Lito, would be in need of CB depth as well behind Samuel and Brown.

Zyro_1014
01-05-2009, 04:29 PM
ok talking about Boldin is really making me want him in Philly.

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 04:29 PM
BB, you act like losing LJ Smith is a bad thing, the only people who are going to miss LJ Smith are the rest of the NFC east

BeerBaron
01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
BB, you act like losing LJ Smith is a bad thing, the only people who are going to miss LJ Smith are the rest of the NFC east

lol. I'm just pointing out that they're going to be without their starting TE. I liked Celek and he always impresses when he gets playing time, but for some reason Philly fans still have a TE-in-the-first-round stick up their butt.

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 04:32 PM
The Eagles, Skins, or Gruden's would proably win the bidding.
Does Tampa Bay have any excess depth anywhere that could benefit the Cardinals?

Bruce Banner
01-05-2009, 04:36 PM
The Eagles, Skins, or Gruden's would proably win the bidding.
Does Tampa Bay have any excess depth anywhere that could benefit the Cardinals?

no.

unless they want jeremy trueblood or brian griese.

I'm positive it will be player for picks anyways.

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 04:40 PM
lol. I'm just pointing out that they're going to be without their starting TE. I liked Celek and he always impresses when he gets playing time, but for some reason Philly fans still have a TE-in-the-first-round stick up their butt.

Philly fans are just happier when they can jam sticks up their butt.

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 04:41 PM
no.

unless they want jeremy trueblood or brian griese.

I'm positive it will be player for picks anyways.

As with the Randy Moss to Oakland deal, sometimes a serviceable player is added in IN ADDITION to a high draft pick or picks. The Eagles have a commodity in Sheppard and he's expendable to them. If he has any value to AZ, it's the perfect time to ship him west. Southwest.

Bruce Banner
01-05-2009, 04:42 PM
As with the Randy Moss to Oakland deal, sometimes a serviceable player is added in IN ADDITION to a high draft pick or picks. The Eagles have a commodity in Sheppard and he's expendable to them. If he has any value to AZ, it's the perfect time to ship him west. Southwest.

could very well be right.

we'll see.

bearsfan_51
01-05-2009, 04:45 PM
I think a 1st in 2009 and a 1st in 2010 is more likely, which means it probably won't happen.

Besides, why would Arizona give up the one thing they are good at? That's risky considering they just made the playoffs for the first time since Woodrow Wilson was president.

BeerBaron
01-05-2009, 04:49 PM
I think a 1st in 2009 and a 1st in 2010 is more likely, which means it probably won't happen.

Besides, why would Arizona give up the one thing they are good at? That's risky considering they just made the playoffs for the first time since Woodrow Wilson was president.

Actually, it was the first time they hosted a playoff game since Woodrow was in. They made it and beat the Cowboys back in the 90's when Jake the Snake was tearing it up.

JohnCandy
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I think that the Raiders might be interested and the deal could be

CB Namdi Asoumugha to Arizona for WR Anquan Boldin.

They are both young and tops at their positions in the league and both want a change of scenery.

Monomach
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Two firsts is probably what I'd put his value at. He's just too good to be traded in his prime. I don't see him going anywhere.

The Bears could sure use him, but I can't imagine that we could afford to give up that kind of package.

Big_Pete
01-05-2009, 05:20 PM
It doesn't seem to make much sense to trade Boldin financially

His approximate contract numbers from http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2078

7/31/2005: Signed a four-year, $22.67 million contract extension through 2010. The deal contains $10 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus. 2009: $2.75 million, 2010: $3 million, 2011: Free Agent

If Boldin is traded the Cardinals will still have to pay the guaranteed money. Which means they only save $2.75 million to $3 million a year. They also have to get a replacement player for that.

Boldin's contract is quite reasonable salary cap wise, just compare it to the top money some WRs have been getting. Under $6 million a year for a player of Boldin's ability is a bargain.

I don't see any trade of Boldin as being practical.

cardinalsfan
01-05-2009, 05:27 PM
It doesn't seem to make much sense to trade Boldin financially

His approximate contract numbers from http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2078

If Boldin is traded the Cardinals will still have to pay the guaranteed money. Which means they only save $2.75 million to $3 million a year. They also have to get a replacement player for that.

Boldin's contract is quite reasonable salary cap wise, just compare it to the top money some WRs have been getting. Under $6 million a year for a player of Boldin's ability is a bargain.

I don't see any trade of Boldin as being practical.

Not sure if you have followed the situation much, but basically Boldin is demanding a new contract and he deserves it. He deserves top 10 pay at his position and will get it next year.

Big_Pete
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Not sure if you have followed the situation much, but basically Boldin is demanding a new contract and he deserves it. He deserves top 10 pay at his position and will get it next year.

To be honest, I haven't followed it too much.

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
To be honest, I haven't followed it too much.
Well then, be sure to thank CardsFan because he just gave you a fast refresher.

Two firsts is probably what I'd put his value at. He's just too good to be traded in his prime. I don't see him going anywhere.
The Bears could sure use him, but I can't imagine that we could afford to give up that kind of package.
You're pretty close, but sometimes to get quality, you have to give quality. The Vikings paid A LOT for the proven Jared Allen, but they knew exactly what they were getting -unlike the draft- so they paid it. And they gave him a huge new contract.
I wish they wouldn't have because as a Packer fan, I hate seeing Jared Allen twice a year. I'd rather not face Boldin twice a year too. I prefer you Bears keep rolling out junk at WR and taking away Hester from the return game and trying to mold him into a WR.

I think that the Raiders might be interested and the deal could be CB Namdi Asoumugha to Arizona for WR Anquan Boldin.
They are both young and tops at their positions in the league and both want a change of scenery.
That would be a coup for Arizona, but if anyone was going to give something like that away, it would be the Raiders I guess. To find a great, GREAT CB is a lot harder than finding a good/great WR.

Malaka
01-05-2009, 07:25 PM

Although Aso to Arizona would be pretty beneficial to the Cardinals, I don't think that the Cards would trade away a huge piece of what they are really good at, there is no way in hell Steve Breaston will step up and play even close to what Boldin can do, and that also allows Fitz to be doubled up, plus a below average O-line, an average tight end in Ben Patrick, and a terrible running game means the Cardinals will be near the bottom of their division again.

Plus, when Boldin says he wants a change of scenery, I highly doubt that he would want that change of scenery to be in Oakland.

LonghornsLegend
01-05-2009, 07:31 PM

I know you were being sarcastic but that still got a chuckle out of me :)

I doubt Boldin goes for anything less then two 1st, other then that the Cardinals will just have two highly paid WR's, they aren't in any hurry to trade him for just an average offer.

Big_Pete
01-05-2009, 07:39 PM
If Boldin is traded I am not sure he will get a block buster deal of draft picks

Remember is that there are alot of excellent wr prospects available in the draft, so teams have the option of going there if they need a WR.

Plus any new team would have to sign Boldin to a huge contract.

The most likely scenario is a player for player trade (quite possibly with picks).

Paranoidmoonduck
01-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Although Aso to Arizona would be pretty beneficial to the Cardinals, I don't think that the Cards would trade away a huge piece of what they are really good at, there is no way in hell Steve Breaston will step up and play even close to what Boldin can do, and that also allows Fitz to be doubled up, plus a below average O-line, an average tight end in Ben Patrick, and a terrible running game means the Cardinals will be near the bottom of their division again.

Plus, when Boldin says he wants a change of scenery, I highly doubt that he would want that change of scenery to be in Oakland.

I don't think it would hurt that Cards that much. The relationship between Boldin and them seems pretty stale and they invested a 2nd round pick in Early Doucet just last April. That offense isn't set up so teams can just double Fitzgerald and stop everything; they should still be effective.

Bruce Banner
01-05-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't think it would hurt that Cards that much. The relationship between Boldin and them seems pretty stale and they invested a 2nd round pick in Early Doucet just last April. That offense isn't set up so teams can just double Fitzgerald and stop everything; they should still be effective.

Just to clarify, third rounder on Doucet.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Just to clarify, third rounder on Doucet.

Right, my mistake. Either way, a trio of Fitzgerald, Breaston, and Doucet isn't half bad for the way that offense runs.

Smokey Joe
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
I think a 1st and 3rd rounder this year, a conditional 3rd rounder next year which could become potentially a 1st, and perhaps an additional 5th or 6th this year, would get the deal done.

Zyro_1014
01-05-2009, 08:37 PM

id feel so bad for Boldin lol

NotoRussell
01-06-2009, 05:14 AM
how about to trade him to Oakland. Raiders 1st round, Bush or Fargas and 3rd for Boldin and Cards 1st round pick?

Big_Pete
01-06-2009, 06:57 AM
How about a trade with the Giants?

The Giants are not going to be able to keep Ward and Jacobs (and Jacobs will get a big contract), there is a very good chance could very well end up franchising Brandon Jacobs.

Ken Wisenhunt loves his running game and Jacobs could be the guy that really opens it up for them (particularly with their offensive line). I imagine a deal would be something they would very seriously consider.

The Giants have plenty of picks they can sweeten the deal with.

I am not certain the Giants would want to pay Boldin huge money, so perhaps a third party deal is the best option. Perhaps Miami, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Philadelphia or Tennessee. An AFC team is the most likely as it won't upset either the Giants or Cardinals much.

For example:

Cardinals get: Brandon Jacobs, 3rd round pick from Giants, 3rd round pick from Tennessee/Miami

Giants get: 1st round pick from Tennessee/Miami

Tennessee/Miami get: Anquan Boldin

I just think something like this is more likely to happen than a team giving up their really high draft picks (eg: Raiders).

NIPS
01-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Dont be surprised to see Oakland trade its #7 overall for Boldin

Forget the Roy Williams, Cowboys grossly overpaid

Raiders gave the Vikings the #7 overall 4 years ago to Randy Moss

The #7 overall straight up for Boldin is fair