PDA

View Full Version : Rank these recent safety prospects

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Can anyone help me with this?
I don't get to watch as much CFA as I want, as I used to. Not even close.
But I remember hearing how Kenny Phillips was a future top-5 pick during his freshman and sophomore season. He ended up going much lower, and he looks good in NY, but still he was way overhyped.

Same thing with Michael Huff from Texas. Packers picked #5 and went AJ Hawk, then Vernon Davis at 6 and Huff at 7. Some Packer fans wanted the other 2 guys not Hawk. But it seems Huff has been a bust, somehow. Must be the recent Texas thing.

Now I hear that Taylor Mays is all-world, etc.... I didn't get to see much of him again, but I do know that Ed Reed, Polamalu, Bob Sanders and Brian Dawkins have all been important as anyone on defense for the past 4-6 seasons, and none of them were top-5 or top-10 picks. I think only Troy went top-20 even.

Not now, but grade what they were entering the NFL Draft:

Ed Reed
Sean Taylor
Kenny Phillips
Troy Polamalu
LaRon Landry
Bob Sanders
Michael Huff
Taylor Mays - which guy does he compare closest to: Phillips?

Paranoidmoonduck
01-05-2009, 05:10 PM
A general list as I recall them.

1. Sean Taylor
2. LaRon Landry
3. Michael Huff
4. Taylor Mays (where I think he'll wind up, but he could be below Reed)
5. Troy Polamaulu
6. Ed Reed
7. Kenny Phillips
8. Bob Sanders

And, of course, the 3 best who are currently playing are sitting in the bottom half of the list.

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Sean Taylor
LaRon Landry
Michael Huff
Donte Whitner
Ed Reed
Kenny Phillips
Reggie Nelson
Taylor Mays
Bob Sanders
Wiliam Moore
Brandon Merriweather
Jason Allen (I hated him as a prospect)

TaylorMade
01-05-2009, 05:30 PM
My list as long as I've been seriously following the draft.. although I'm having a hard time placing Taylor Mays so far...

1. Sean Taylor
2. Laron Landry
3. Michael Huff
4. Donte Whitner
5. Reggie Nelson
6. Taylor Mays
7. Jason Allen
8. Kenny Philips
9. Brandon Merriweather
10. William Moore

Staubach12
01-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Sean Taylor
LaRon Landry
Troy Polamalu
Ed Reed
Taylor Mays
Michael Huff
Kenny Phillips
Bob Sanders

There's my ranking. It's always hard to rank so many good prospects.

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I don't remember Donte Whitner being ranked THAT high.... I thought people said they reached when the Bills took DW.

I'm trying to decide if I want my Packers to take Taylor Mays. With Nick Collins, that would be a great duo, but the team HAD a great duo last year with Collins roaming deep and Atari Bigby blowing people up and being our Brian Dawkins/Bob Sanders as the 8th man in the box to stop the run. But Bigby was hurt almost all season, and the run defense was atrocious. I don't know if Mays fills that role, and if he has a better chance of staying healthy. Seems like safeties get hurt a lot too.

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't remember Donte Whitner being ranked THAT high.... I thought people said they reached when the Bills took DW.

I'm trying to decide if I want my Packers to take Taylor Mays. With Nick Collins, that would be a great duo, but the team HAD a great duo last year with Collins roaming deep and Atari Bigby blowing people up and being our Brian Dawkins/Bob Sanders as the 8th man in the box to stop the run. But Bigby was hurt almost all season, and the run defense was atrocious. I don't know if Mays fills that role, and if he has a better chance of staying healthy. Seems like safeties get hurt a lot too.

The media said they reached, but Whitner was a very good prospect who just was totally under the radar. Great guy and a leader alongside being athletic enough to be projected as a corner and physical enough to be an elite SS. He was a very good well rounded prospect who had no major holes although he didn't stand out as much as some would like a safety to.

regoob2
01-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Sean Taylor
Taylor Mays
LaRon Landry
Ed Reed
Michael Huff
Troy Polamalu
Kenny Phillips
Bob Sanders

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure how high Reed was rated, but I know he went like #24 in his draft, as Edward Reed. Huff went #7. Where did Scott rank Huff I wonder.

USC fans, which guy of all of em does Taylor Made play most like?
Is he a killer like Dawkins, a ball-hawk like Reed, or a phenom-combo like Polamalu?

Paranoidmoonduck
01-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Mays is more of a ballhawk, but he's not a ballhawk on the level that Ed Reed is (then again, who is?). I'm not even sure Taylor Mays is going to put up much in the way of interception numbers.

What he can do is provide excellent safety help against good deep threats and can deliver the big blow on intermediate routes.

regoob2
01-05-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm not sure how high Reed was rated, but I know he went like #24 in his draft, as Edward Reed. Huff went #7. Where did Scott rank Huff I wonder.

Is he a killer like Dawkins, a ball-hawk like Reed, or a phenom-combo like Polamalu?It's Mays not Made. ;)

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 07:02 PM
It's Mays not Made. ;)
Thanks Callaway, I mean Titleist ;)

Malaka
01-05-2009, 07:04 PM

Is he a killer like Dawkins, a ball-hawk like Reed, or a phenom-combo like Polamalu?

In the NFL Taylor Mays would be most like a LaRon Landry like player, they are very similar, while I think Landry is the better player while Mays has better measurables (6'3/6'4 somewhere along the lines of a 4.2 - 4.4 40 time).

Landry in the NFL can cover the entire field, and while he may not rack up high INT numbers like Ed Reed, Landry covers the entire field and can free up the SS. In USC Cover 1 Defense this is what Mays does already, and his INT numbers suffer because of it, I think he will be a much better play-maker in the NFL, and is a perfect cover FS, not to mention he is a pretty hard hitter he is no slouch in that department. I would love for the Giants to pair him at FS with Kenny Phillips at SS, that would just be sick.

So to answer your question, he is not the hard nosed, full of swagger safety Brian Dawkins is, and he is not going to be the supreme ballhawk Ed Reed is but what he will eventually be IMO the best pure cover safety in the NFL, even better than Landry in the cover department, but not as good against the run like Landry.

etk
01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Why do these rank em threads always involve safeties?

If anything...Kenny Phillips was EXTREMELY underrated going into the draft. He's proven everyone wrong too. People thought DaJuan Morgan was a better safety prospect.

I'll rank them off my own personal opinion, trying to be fair to how I'd view the prospects coming out. I was only a minor draft fan when some of those guys came out.

1. Sean Taylor - top 5 pick.
2. Bob Sanders - i don't see height as an issue with DBs, and that was his only weakness coming out of Iowa.
3. Troy Polamalu - has the range and carelessness about his body.
4. LaRon Landry - close 4th behind Sanders/Polamalu.
5. Taylor Mays - production doesn't concern me...he's an athlete you can shape. Well behind the first 4.
6. Kenny Phillips - devalued because of production when he was outstanding on a bad defense. big, rangy, good tackler.
7. Michael Huff - never liked him at all.
8. Ed Reed - not my kind of safety. good intangibles but average physical traits. intangibles took him a long way, plus game speed.

I think I would've hit on Sanders/Polamalu, while missing on Reed.

AtariBigby
01-05-2009, 07:23 PM
I (was) a Big 10 guy who liked Iowa, so I liked Bob Sanders too.
But I also wanted, and got, Abdul Hodge from Iowa, and somehow that bombed.

ElectricEye
01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
1. Sean Taylor. Not even close. Best safety prospect of all time, easily.
2. Laron Landy
3. Troy Polamalu
4. Taylor Mays
5. Michael Huff
6. Ed Reed
7. Kenny Phillips
8. Reggie Nelson

Safeties are becoming the next hype prospect. Lot of good athletes are being plugged at that position and excelling at it because it's probably a bit harder to screw up at than corner. Little easier to make an impact as well.

A trend that shows up here is that the entire SS/FS thing is really starting to disappear. Bangers like Rodney Harrison and the more current Nic Harris template are starting to become few and far between. They'll probably never completely disappear, but they really aren't in vogue now. Why would they be though when a guy like Laron Landry can be just as physical and worlds faster?

I think the main thing this thread is asking is how Taylor Mays measures up. I think he's right up there. He might not be ultra productive number wise, but his impact on the game is still immense. His interception totals will probably go up as well, as he really hasn't had much of a chance to put his ball skills on display. He'll be able to take a few more risks not playing Cover 1.

JaxJag_1
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Reggie Nelson > All

woodyx02
01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
I remember Roy Williams being hyped a lot that year. Some mocks had him going as high as #3 I think he needs to be on the list of hyped safties in the last 10 years

Solomon
01-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Why do these rank em threads always involve safeties?

If anything...Kenny Phillips was EXTREMELY underrated going into the draft. He's proven everyone wrong too. People thought DaJuan Morgan was a better safety prospect.

I'll rank them off my own personal opinion, trying to be fair to how I'd view the prospects coming out. I was only a minor draft fan when some of those guys came out.

1. Sean Taylor - top 5 pick.
2. Bob Sanders - i don't see height as an issue with DBs, and that was his only weakness coming out of Iowa.
3. Troy Polamalu - has the range and carelessness about his body.
4. LaRon Landry - close 4th behind Sanders/Polamalu.
5. Taylor Mays - production doesn't concern me...he's an athlete you can shape. Well behind the first 4.
6. Kenny Phillips - devalued because of production when he was outstanding on a bad defense. big, rangy, good tackler.
7. Michael Huff - never liked him at all.
8. Ed Reed - not my kind of safety. good intangibles but average physical traits. intangibles took him a long way, plus game speed.

I think I would've hit on Sanders/Polamalu, while missing on Reed.

I totally agree with you on Sanders. The guy was a fantastic college player, had practically no weaknesses, coaches and teammates loved him and he was a workout monster too. I'm not too concerned about height with safeties especially ones with 42 inch verticals. I had Sanders as a top 20 prospect and only concerns about his height dropped him out of the first.

Solomon
01-06-2009, 12:19 AM
I remember Roy Williams being hyped a lot that year. Some mocks had him going as high as #3 I think he needs to be on the list of hyped safties in the last 10 years

True, when he came out I thought he was the best safety prospect ever.

Zyro_1014
01-06-2009, 12:29 AM

Hes got the size of Sean Taylor, but he plays as more of a ball hawk, he plays that deep cover 1 and takes away the entire field for the USC defense. I believe once he gets into a defense where he isnt responsible for covering the entire field he will get alot more picks.

Sniper
01-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Hes got the size of Sean Taylor, but he plays as more of a ball hawk, he plays that deep cover 1 and takes away the entire field for the USC defense. I believe once he gets into a defense where he isnt responsible for covering the entire field he will get alot more picks.

Cough cough Philadelphia cough cough

illmatic74
01-06-2009, 12:33 AM

Is he a killer like Dawkins, a ball-hawk like Reed, or a phenom-combo like Polamalu?Scott had Huff ranked #8

Zyro_1014
01-06-2009, 12:37 AM
Cough cough Philadelphia cough cough

would do many terrible things...

jdcozart
01-06-2009, 05:03 AM
A general list as I recall them.

1. Sean Taylor
2. LaRon Landry
3. Michael Huff
4. Taylor Mays (where I think he'll wind up, but he could be below Reed)
5. Troy Polamaulu
6. Ed Reed
7. Kenny Phillips
8. Bob Sanders

And, of course, the 3 best who are currently playing are sitting in the bottom half of the list.

The three best are in the bottom half of the list, but I bet even Ed Reed would tell you Sean Taylor was more gifted. Taylor was a freak and I'm not a Redskins fan, but I remeber seeing something after his murder about him turning his life around because I think he had a baby. I would have loved to see Taylor fulfill his potential. Unfortunately, I think the thing I will remember about him other than his murder was him spitting on an opponent.

will99890
01-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Sean Taylor
LaRon Landry
Taylor Mays
Kenny Phillips
Michael Huff
Troy Polamalu
Ed Reed
Bob Sanders

Its amazing that Polamalu, Reed and Sanders became the elite safeties in the league despite having just above average measurables when compared to the freaks on the list.

CashmoneyDrew
01-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Sean Taylor

LaRon Landry
Michael Huff
Taylor Mays
Troy Polamalu
Ed Reed
Reggie Nelson
Michael Griffin
Kenny Phillips
Bob Sanders