PDA

View Full Version : Does Chris Wells look like a top five pick?

gpngc
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
I personally don't think you should ever take a RB in the top five, but I think Wells has become so hyped that its easy to hate on him.

You can argue forever (and I'd agree), that the Bengals or Browns should look elsewhere, but the more I think about it, the more it really seems like a possibility that one of the Ohio teams takes Wells in the top six.

Bruce Banner
01-05-2009, 08:18 PM
"I personally don't think you should ever take a RB in the top five, but I think Wells has become so hyped that its easy to hate on him."

what?

still too big of an injury concern for me to take him top 5 but he has the talent of a top 5 pick (if you are a person that rates RBs that high).

Xiomera
01-05-2009, 08:21 PM
He's not in the top 10 of my Big Board.

underscore
01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Top 5 RBs, that's for sure.

PalmerToCJ
01-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Anything to make his stock drop so people will stop sticking him with the Bengals.

There's a certain breed of RB that's top 5 worthy, I don't feel he's of that make.

urinemonkey
01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I'd love for the Broncos to draft him, but it would be hard to justify it given the state of their defense. He is the top back in this draft without a doubt.

jkpigskin
01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
"I personally don't think you should ever take a RB in the top five, but I think Wells has become so hyped that its easy to hate on him."

what?

still too big of an injury concern for me to take him top 5 but he has the talent of a top 5 pick (if you are a person that rates RBs that high).

well, im not him, but he is probably going off the success of RB's outside of the top 5. Just look at this year, there were more than a handful of RB's of this class that outperformed the top 5 pick of Darren McFadden. He has a valid argument

SchizophrenicBatman
01-05-2009, 08:54 PM
The only RB I've seen in college who I thought was worthy of a top 10 pick was Adrian Peterson

Wells isn't even close. He's too stiff and doesn't really do anything but run - not that AD was a demon in the passing game, but Wells doesn't stand out as much as he did

Still a great RB prospect, but not one of the best ever...which you have to be to be worth that high of a pick

gpngc
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
The only RB I've seen in college who I thought was worthy of a top 10 pick was Adrian Peterson

Wells isn't even close. He's too stiff and doesn't really do anything but run - not that AD was a demon in the passing game, but Wells doesn't stand out as much as he did

Still a great RB prospect, but not one of the best ever...which you have to be to be worth that high of a pick

...In your opinion.

In the opinion of some NFL teams, you can be worthy of a top five pick by being Ronnie Brown, Caddy Williams, Ced Benson, or Reggie Bush... and those are just a few of the recent ones.

jkpigskin
01-05-2009, 08:58 PM
...In your opinion.

In the opinion of some NFL teams, you can be worthy of a top five pick by being Ronnie Brown, Caddy Williams, Ced Benson, or Reggie Bush... and those are just a few of the recent ones.

and look at the results of 75% of that list. that goes to show that its not worth it sometimes. Talents RB's are so numerous these days and can be found later in the draft. AKA Kevin Smith, Steve Slaton, among others

SchizophrenicBatman
01-05-2009, 09:02 PM
...In your opinion.

In the opinion of the Detroit Lions taking WRs repeatedly in the top 10 was a smart move...look where it got them

gpngc
01-05-2009, 09:02 PM
and look at the results of 75% of that list. that goes to show that its not worth it sometimes. Talents RB's are so numerous these days and can be found later in the draft. AKA Kevin Smith, Steve Slaton, among others

Exactly.

My point is, I was almost able to actually let Chris Wells drop to the second half of round one, but now I'm starting to think one of the Ohio teams will make the *mistake* of drafting him in the top six.

It's become easy to say "wait to draft RBs", but the fact is, despite proven results on why this makes sense, teams continue to draft RBs high.

*And by mistake, I don't want mean Wells will be a bust- I just think an impact player at different position is a better way to go in the top six.

PalmerToCJ
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
...In your opinion.

Rather by injury or just being awful (Benson), that list is not impressive. I'm not saying Caddy/Brown/Bush aren't or weren't good when they are healthy... Just that there are so many productive RB's to be found later AND at a lower price in both draft pick and contract. RB's get hurt and have a low shelf life, thus not worth the high pick.

jkpigskin
01-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Exactly.

My point is, I was almost able to actually let Chris Wells drop to the second half of round one, but now I'm starting to think one of the Ohio teams will make the *mistake* of drafting him in the top six.

It's become easy to say "wait to draft RBs", but the fact is, despite proven results on why this makes sense, teams continue to draft RBs high.

*And by mistake, I don't want mean Wells will be a bust- I just think an impact player at different position is a better way to go in the top six.

my B, didnt interpret your post correctly
and yea, a lot of it has to do with hype and just falling in love with a talent (like McFadden)

LonghornsLegend
01-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Somebody will take that risk, if they think RB is what they need more then anything else, but he's been injured too much for the top 5, and too talented to fall out of the top 10, he could be one of those guys who when their drafted people say "I can't believe he fell that far".

He could tote the rock 25 times for a team but I wouldn't be in a big hurry to run him into the ground, I'd probably utilize him with another back ie Jonathan Stewart before I handed him the reigns and made him the guy.

gpngc
01-05-2009, 09:06 PM
GUYS lol.

I'm simply saying I think this is what I think one of the Ohio teams WILL do. Not what they SHOULD do.

They aren't the two best-run franchises in the world either.

I'm with you- wait on RBs- my references to all those top five backs was to show that you SHOULD wait but many teams still decide not to.

foozball
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
how does he compare to another recent huge RB...jonathan stewart? both are humongous yet run very fast for their size

SchizophrenicBatman
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Exactly.

I can see this happening, and I don't think it would necessarily entail a local team making an "appease the fanbase" move to do it. I answered this topic based on the title though - does Wells look like a top five pick? To me, no. Will he be drafted in the top five? That's a different question, and I'd say there's a good chance he will. Especially since he appears to be finishing on a high note with the bowl game. Add in the fact that his combine will likely be good (his 40 speed should be impressive for his size) and yea...top five is possible. Doesn't mean it'll be a good pick

LonghornsLegend
01-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I can see this happening, and I don't think it would necessarily entail a local team making an "appease the fanbase" move to do it. I answered this topic based on the title though - does Wells look like a top five pick? To me, no. Will he be drafted in the top five? That's a different question, and I'd say there's a good chance he will. Especially since he appears to be finishing on a high note with the bowl game. Add in the fact that his combine will likely be good (his 40 speed should be impressive for his size) and yea...top five is possible. Doesn't mean it'll be a good pick

My only questions are health, if he's 100% he looks like he could dominate the next level.

PalmerToCJ
01-05-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm simply saying I think this is what I think one of the Ohio teams WILL do. Not what they SHOULD do.

They aren't the two best-run franchises in the world either.

I'm with you- wait on RBs- my references to all those top five backs was to show that you SHOULD wait but many teams still decide not to.

In the Bengals case, our RB's had to make their first cut in the backfield for a bulk of the season as there was no concern for Fitzpatrick making throws. Didn't much matter who was back their. A Center and new RT will improve our run offense much more than a new RB. Everyone just sees the horrible rushing stats and thinks it's our RB's fault. Granted we have no great RB but we have adequate RB's if they could get any sort of protection.

Babylon
01-05-2009, 09:12 PM
The only problem i have with Wells is health issues. I would also like to see him be an every down player not 2 downs on the field and then 2 on the sideline.

regoob2
01-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I personally wouldnt prefer to take a RB top 5. It depends on the other value. Chris Wells is a great prospect but I dont think he's elite, elite. Now Adrian Peterson I would take top 5.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-05-2009, 09:18 PM
how does he compare to another recent huge RB...jonathan stewart? both are humongous yet run very fast for their size

Don't think Wells is quite as freakish as Stewart measurable wise. Has a little less wiggle (not that J-Stew is Barry Sanders or anything either), but runs downhill better. Playing in a pro style offense in college removes a question mark on him, but it's not like RBs have trouble adapting to the NFL or changing systems all that much in the first place

Overall, I think they end up about equal in value. I prefer Stewart's style though, since it's a little more diverse.

If he pans out, he should be a little more consistent than Stewart though. Stew gets a lot of bad runs, then runs over 4 guys for a big gain. Wells seems to get forward better IMO

Bruce Banner
01-05-2009, 09:26 PM
well, im not him, but he is probably going off the success of RB's outside of the top 5. Just look at this year, there were more than a handful of RB's of this class that outperformed the top 5 pick of Darren McFadden. He has a valid argument

I just didn't understand the continuity, or lack thereof, in his initial statements.

Let me break it down for you real easy.

I personally don't think you should ever take a RB in the top five.

ok, no RBs in the top 5.

but I think Wells has become so hyped that its easy to hate on him.

how does this relate to this

I personally don't think you should ever take a RB in the top five.

Brooder
01-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Depends on his 40 times at the combine. If he clocks in at 4.5 or lower, he wont past the Cleveland Browns at #6 if not sooner.

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Depends on his 40 times at the combine. If he clocks in at 4.5 or lower, he wont past the Cleveland Browns at #6 if not sooner.

I hope the browns draft him, I ******* hate cleveland.

Staubach12
01-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I have two problems with Wells:

1. The foot. Obviously, when you have that kind of injury that lingers like that, your stock is going to drop.

2. Break-away speed. Wells lacks top-end speed. He's consistantly caught from behind.

Bruce Banner
01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
2. Break-away speed. Wells lacks top-end speed. He's consistantly caught from behind.

Can't agree there man.

I've seen the opposite happen just as much.

ElectricEye
01-05-2009, 09:40 PM

You kinda have to take the cynical view with runningbacks these days. The running game is becoming all the more important...but runningbacks themselves are becoming less important. That statement makes no sense whatsoever, but still, it's kind of becoming the reality of todays game.

I wouldn't touch Wells in the top five and I probably wouldn't in the top ten either. He's not Adrian Peterson. He's still capable of being a complete back though. You gotta give him credit for that. He's capable of being the only back in an offense, not just because of his power either. You don't have to pair him with anyone.

foozball
01-05-2009, 09:42 PM
You kinda have to take the cynical view with runningbacks these days. The running game is becoming all the more important...but runningbacks themselves are becoming less important. That statement makes no sense whatsoever, but still, it's kind of becoming the reality of todays game.

I wouldn't touch Wells in the top five and I probably wouldn't in the top ten either. He's not Adrian Peterson. He's still capable of being a complete back though. You gotta give him credit for that. He's capable of being the only back in an offense, not just because of his power either. You don't have to pair him with anyone.

umm...so how does he compare to jstew?

ElectricEye
01-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah. I had a blurb about that in there but I decided I wanted to rephrase it and then ultimately did away with it... haha. Sorry.

I think he's better than Stewart. Same type of back. Not quite a fast. I would put them in the same category as prospects. Wells will be drafted higher though. Not sure how much higher in the end.

MooshooGawd
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Tonight we got to see the best and worst of Wells. He had a great first half running for nearly 100 yards against a good Texas defense, and then he gets hurt (again) and is out for the second half.

He's got to be one of the most frustrating prospects...

P-L
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
He's a top 5 talent when healthy, he's just never 100% healthy.

Spectre
01-05-2009, 11:07 PM
He's a running back. Being nicked up comes with the territory. What would be a REAL injury concern is if he had some kind of major/catastrophic injury that could affect his ability to play. As is, I'm no more concerned about his injury than Adrian Peterson's... less so even.

Getting dinged up doesn't mean someone is injury prone, it means they're a football player.

Bruce Banner
01-05-2009, 11:11 PM
He's a running back. Being nicked up comes with the territory. What would be a REAL injury concern is if he had some kind of major/catastrophic injury that could affect his ability to play. As is, I'm no more concerned about his injury than Adrian Peterson's... less so even.

Getting dinged up doesn't mean someone is injury prone, it means they're a football player.

he can't play through it like most other top rbs.

Geo
01-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Love Beanie, but wouldn't take him that high. Not with his history of getting dinged up, his position itself, and that much money on the line.

If we're talking 11-15 range such as where Marshawn Lynch and Jonathan Stewart were drafted in recent years, that might be okay if I didn't have a bigger need elsewhere.

Babylon
01-05-2009, 11:15 PM
If he gets by Cinci and Cleveland he could have himself quite a wait. I wouldnt touch him with his constant injuries.

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 11:24 PM
I would love to have him, just not for top 10 money as a feature back on a team that obviously has much bigger needs. He'll be a beast leading a RBC with a shiftier back to keep him fresh and protect him from injuries.

Babylon
01-05-2009, 11:27 PM

Biggest game of his life and he couldnt stay on the field.

kwilk103
01-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Biggest game of his life and he couldnt stay on the field.

dont forget usc

Bengals78
01-05-2009, 11:40 PM
dont forget usc

Well he was technically never ON the field

Shane P. Hallam
01-05-2009, 11:42 PM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27899

ToldLikeItIs
01-07-2009, 12:52 AM
He's very fragile, yet still a phenomenal athlete and talent.

It's a tough read on Wells. he doesn't seem like a FOOTBALL player to me, a little primped and pampered for my liking, but I'm no manager.

ChosenOne
01-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Well, when you look within those top five or top ten picks, none of those teams desperately need a running back more than any other position. If he starts to slip far, however, I could see some team trading back up to grab him. He has the talent, but I'm not too sure I'd touch him in the top five.

CantStopGregJones
01-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Not even as good as Shonn Greene.

Scott Wright
01-07-2009, 01:08 AM
I just want to remind everyone that for all of the talk about Wells' durability he has only missed a grand total of three games in three seasons.

Not bad considering the type of big, physical runner that he is.

ToldLikeItIs
01-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Scott,

What does make Wells a better prospect than Greene, besides age?

Race for the Heisman
01-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Let's get this straight, he's definitely NOT fragile. He has, however, had various injuries which he has played through and it has snowballed a little bit. His injury last night was a concussion, the first one that I've heard of (I'm not exactly a rabid Buckeye fan but I do follow the team somewhat closely). It wasn't the bum ankle he played on all last season, nor the broken hand that he played through, nor the toe injury he suffered earlier this year. This is exactly what happened with Adrian Peterson. Some people got worried while others pointed out that the injuries were never reoccurring in nature. Even if you were to call him injury-prone, except for the games he flat out missed (and what running back is healthy all the time?), his production didn't really suffer because of his injuries (121 yards per game, good for 6th in the NCAA).

Now, I am generally in the majority in that I'm not a particular fan of taking running backs high, especially when other positions would be more beneficial to the team. But to act like Wells, injury concerns and all, isn't a top 10 back is ludicrous. Hell, it'd be dumb but Kansas City could take him. Jacksonville could take him. You could make arguments for both Seattle and Green Bay taking him too, and that doesn't include the Ohio teams. It didn't make sense for Minnesota at the time, either. They were still the same run-stuffing, pass against us all day team then that they were until they added Jared Allen. Afterward, however, the pick was justified by saying, 'Oh, well he was just too good to pass on," and the same should happen with Wells.

Race for the Heisman
01-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Scott,

What does make Wells a better prospect than Greene, besides age?

Long speed.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-07-2009, 01:39 AM
I don't want to attest to Wells' tendency to have sprains and strains last longer than you'd like, because the only person who really knows would be Chris himself.

What I can say is that I think he's a notch or so below what I would consider a runner being worth a top 5 pick. The way this draft is, he might falls more easily in the 9-15 range.

Shane P. Hallam
01-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Speed, size, vision, plenty of things make Wells a better prospect than Greene.

CantStopGregJones
01-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Speed, size, vision, plenty of things make Wells a better prospect than Greene.

take off the homer shades buddy.

JaMario O'Neal is better than Taylor Mays....see its easy to be unrealistically blinded by your own homerism.

ToldLikeItIs
01-07-2009, 04:23 AM
Speed, I'll agree with it.

Size, a 6'1 top-heavy RB like Wells is more likely to get injured than a 5'11 235RB with a developed lower body like Greene, poor argument.

Vision, Greene > Wells, and it's not very close.

What "other things" ?

etk
01-07-2009, 07:46 AM
I like Greene better as an inside runner. Wells hits the hole hard and shows good explosiveness, but he's horrible on contact for a 235+ lb guy. Safeties were flying in and arm-tackling him and he was hitting the turf hard on contact. He just doesn't have the lower body strength you look for in a power back (Turner, Stewart, Greene...).

Chris Wells looks like a late 1st rounder to me. He's the complete package minus 1 trait, but that trait is very crucial.

bigboiajhawk
01-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Speed, I'll agree with it.

Size, a 6'1 top-heavy RB like Wells is more likely to get injured than a 5'11 235RB with a developed lower body like Greene, poor argument.

Vision, Greene > Wells, and it's not very close.

What "other things" ?

I agree 100%, Greene has to use his vision for the cutbacks because of Iowa's ZBS.

The one thing that I will say about Wells, his ceiling is probably higher than Greene's, but if I were a team in need of a RB I would take Greene in the early 2nd round over Wells in the first round.

wonderbredd24
01-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Chris Wells is not injury prone.

He, like most bigger backs, is knick and ding prone because they have a harder time avoiding big hits

Geo
01-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't think it's necessarily just that Beanie is a bigger back. He is more of an upright runner, and chances are that's going to lead him to get dinged up as you said.

We've seen it with Joseph Addai and Adrian Peterson in recent years, two backs around 6-feet who have more of an upright running style and have been dinged up in the league a few times thanks to it.

AtariBigby
01-07-2009, 10:24 AM
He reminds me of Curtis Enis.
People laugh at that, but where were they when Enis was a top-10 projection by all the kids and the experts on TV and magazines?

CantStopGregJones
01-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Chris Wells does not hit the hole hard. Its really sad how people give players a reputation simply on a name basis alone. He plays hop sotch behind the line like a little pansie 90% of the time. Look at the play he was injured on...he was bouncing like a pansie. As an Ohio State fan he's the most overrated player we've had in a very long time.

DoWnThEfiElD
01-07-2009, 01:05 PM
He's good, however I think he is a tad overrated at this point. Size and speed makes for good potential though.

keylime_5
01-07-2009, 01:34 PM
he can't play through it like most other top rbs.

Not true. Like RacetotheHeisman pointed out, he played on a bum ankle last season, a partially broken wrist, and now lingering turf toe earlier this season and still kept going. A bunch of little injuries don't mean much for a big physical RB like that who gets a lot of contact. You could always draft a guy who dominated in college and had zero injury concerns like Courtney Brown, who goes on to be probably the most injury prone player ever. Beanie should be a top 10 pick for sure. There hasn't been a guy with that much power to go along with that much big play explosion in a while.

giantsfan
01-07-2009, 03:00 PM
There hasn't been a guy with that much power to go along with that much big play explosion in a while.

Adrian Peterson, Rashad Mendenhall and Jonathan Stewart say hi.

etk
01-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Not true. Like RacetotheHeisman pointed out, he played on a bum ankle last season, a partially broken wrist, and now lingering turf toe earlier this season and still kept going. A bunch of little injuries don't mean much for a big physical RB like that who gets a lot of contact. You could always draft a guy who dominated in college and had zero injury concerns like Courtney Brown, who goes on to be probably the most injury prone player ever. Beanie should be a top 10 pick for sure. There hasn't been a guy with that much power to go along with that much big play explosion in a while.

Power, what power? Wells has chickenlegs and gets stood up way too often. He goes down very easily when hit low. NFL defenses are big and fast too, and he will need to break more tackles. He's good at hitting the hole, making a cut and running away from people, but I'd like to see him play like a power back.

Dark Knight01
01-07-2009, 08:18 PM

Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, Steve Slaton all had continuity with their coordinators calling the plays for them unlike the Raiders. Kiffin was gone after week 3 and Knapp and Cable had to figure out how to best utilize DMC when he got back from injury. It's not that simple, by saying the other guys out performed DMC especiallu since he was hurt for half the year.

We saw how good DMC is when utlized correctly and when he ran all over the Chiefs.

OzTitan
01-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't buy the "don't draft a X in the top Y" argument at all, not with good drafting NFL teams. IMO, a good drafting team takes who they like. They don't let silly position related trends and themes dictate their board. Floyd Reese once said he's not picking a LB in the top 10 unless he's the next LT - that's not good drafting IMO.

If you're picking 5th overall, and there is a RB you really like and need, you take him. Drafting based on fear of busts and themes from past drafts (e.g. good RB's later) is not good drafting in my books.

And that's all it takes really - for one team early to like him. He's not going to last until their next pick, so what's the difference in getting him early? extra money? Who cares. That money has to go to someone, may as well be someone you really like, even if he plays a position which can be known to produce later round talent.

Shane P. Hallam
01-08-2009, 03:57 PM
take off the homer shades buddy.

JaMario O'Neal is better than Taylor Mays....see its easy to be unrealistically blinded by your own homerism.

Yes, I am a homer for saying the best RB prospect in this draft is the best RB prospect in this draft :P I wouldn't touch Wells Top 15, but the first team that wants a RB should take him over anyone else.

Number 10
01-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Not much of a difference between Jonathon Stewart and Chris Wells to be honest. Moreno will and should be taken in front of him.

keylime_5
01-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Power, what power? Wells has chickenlegs and gets stood up way too often. He goes down very easily when hit low. NFL defenses are big and fast too, and he will need to break more tackles. He's good at hitting the hole, making a cut and running away from people, but I'd like to see him play like a power back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-0mlHNP5u8

look at about 4:28. Yeah, what power? Are you kidding me, there hasn't been a runningback that powerful with breakaway speed like Beanie in a while. Most effective stiffarm I've seen in my time watching football.

Adrian Peterson, Rashad Mendenhall and Jonathan Stewart say hi.

Peterson isn't as powerful a runner...He has a great blend of power for his incredible speed and explosion, but he's not a true power back. Wells is similar to AD, but more strenght and power and less speed, quickness, and explosion. Mendenhall is not as much of a power back as he's perceived either, he's softer than he should be as a runner, a big reason why he fell to 23rd overall.

CC.SD
01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I actually think Beanie will be drafted high and earn his way. He is huge and certainly fast enough to gain the yards, with decent blocking his momentum alone will make him a feature back.

Geo
01-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm wondering if Denver isn't the perfect fit, although they need to address the defense more ...

keylime_5
01-08-2009, 06:11 PM
hard to tell b/c they don't have a head coach and therefore an offensive scheme. I think Denver goes defense.

savedbygrace89
01-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Glad you asked.. LOL

If Chris "Beanie" Wells is available with the 2nd round pick of the Steelers I hope they take him...:+)

I like him and he seems like a good college player, but I think he could be the next Ron Dayne.

Race for the Heisman
01-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Not much of a difference between Jonathon Stewart and Chris Wells to be honest. Moreno will and should be taken in front of him.

You'd take Moreno before Stewart? O_o

BBIB
01-09-2009, 10:37 AM
The perfect fit for this guy is the Eagles. They've needed that guy with that power for years. How scary would Philly be if they got this guy.

Bruce Banner
01-09-2009, 11:58 AM
The perfect fit for this guy is the Eagles. They've needed that guy with that power for years. How scary would Philly be if they got this guy.

about the same "scariness".

LonghornsLegend
01-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Glad you asked.. LOL

If Chris "Beanie" Wells is available with the 2nd round pick of the Steelers I hope they take him...:+)

I like him and he seems like a good college player, but I think he could be the next Ron Dayne.

Where are these Ron Dayne comparisons coming from? Dayne has never been as explosive as Wells is, and he never ran away from defenders the same way, I don't see what those two have in common.

TheGM
01-09-2009, 02:31 PM
If the question is whether he deserves to go top 5 the answer is no. Too many players are ranked ahead of him. No disrespect but Adrian Peterson went seventh and he was widely regarded as the first or second best player overall.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Wells should probably be top 15 but not top 5. I just don't like a RB going that high. Too much money tied up in a position that isn't built to last. If Peterson went 7th then no way Wells can go top 5. JMO.

BBIB
01-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Where are these Ron Dayne comparisons coming from? Dayne has never been as explosive as Wells is, and he never ran away from defenders the same way, I don't see what those two have in common.

They were both big backs who played in the Big 10.

But frankly it's a ridiculous comparison because of the huge gap in athleticism

thetedginnshow
01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I'd say he's top five talent, but he should probably go outside the top fifteen. If he goes somewhere where he'll get to split the carries and there's a decent run blocking line in front of him, he's going to absolutely tear it up.

toonsterwu
01-10-2009, 08:29 AM
I think Moreno is the best back in the draft, but Wells is close, and depending on scheme, Wells could go ahead. I wouldn't big board Wells in the top 5, though, but that's me. I don't think he'll go top 5 either, as I don't see Seattle or Cleveland going this route, and I don't buy a team trading into the top 5 for Wells.

hagy34
01-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Earliest I see Wells is 12 to Denver. He could land in Cincy but I just think they have too many other needs and with Carson coming back will revert back to the passing offense of old.

Smooth Criminal
01-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Wells is incredibly overrated. I have gotten to see alot of him over the years and I really don't think hes going to do well for himself as a pro. He doesn't hit holes hard. He spends alot of time dancing in the hole. A big back like him should be able to pound through the line, but he just doesn't run very hard.

People like to compare him to a Jamal Lewis, but when I watch him I see more of a Najeh Davenport. They both run soft, even though they are bigger backs. Wells has better speed and more explosion.

Plus he is very injury prone. His first injury of this year happened while he was dancing in the hole trying to avoid contact.

Pokeys
01-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Definitely not a top 5 talent in my opinion. Smooth Criminal sums it up best. I'm not sure how hes going to do in the NFL hes certainly big enough and has good speed and can usually make a guy or 2 miss but alot of question marks surrounding him. I just simply wouldn't risk it.

yourfavestoner
01-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Wells is going to be a better pro than a college back. Vic Ketchman sums it up perfectly.

If I was a pro scout, the thing about Wells that would most intrigue me is his room for improvement. I don’t think he’s nearly as good as he’s going to be. When he matures as a runner, I think he’ll offer star potential. I see a guy who doesn’t always see the hole and doesn’t always run hard. That’ll get fixed in the NFL and when it does, watch out.

http://jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=7602

Shane P. Hallam
01-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Wells is going to be a better pro than a college back. Vic Ketchman sums it up perfectly.

http://jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=7602

Yup. Am I touching him Top 5? No. But if he has a good system and solid coaching who can help me him as a man as well as a player, he can be successful. He is a bit boom or bust, but the ceiling is very high, and I think that floor is Najeh Davenport as was mentioned before. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. I do think RBs will fall and fall again. A mid-1st is likely for Beanie.

A team that can split carries for him early, and develop him will be successful with him. I think all of the critiques people are saying are legit though, and if teams pass on him, I think it is justified. He's not a 5 star prospect/elite prospect by any means.

PossibleCabbage
01-10-2009, 09:02 PM
I think in all of the college football I watched this year, there wasn't a single RB who stood out this year as in "wow, this guy is going to go on and do great things in the pros" like guys have in the past. A number of people certainly convinced me that "He'll play on sundays", but I didn't personally see imminent greatness in any of them.

So I just don't think there's an RB worthy of the top 10 this year. Not that there never is, just that this current crop seems to be a number of guys who should go in the 15-30 range and later.

hagy34
01-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Moreno looked great in the games I watched.

CLong4Heisman
01-10-2009, 10:02 PM
You also have to keep in mind that he will probably be in a two back system and get 10-12 carries a game. Would you want to give him 20 million guaranteed? I would rather have Greene later.

Race for the Heisman
01-11-2009, 07:33 AM
You also have to keep in mind that he will probably be in a two back system and get 10-12 carries a game. Would you want to give him 20 million guaranteed? I would rather have Greene later.

Moreno or Wells? Moreno I might agree with (and it will still be closer to 14-16), but Wells will be a guy I think teams will expect more from.

CLong4Heisman
01-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Both. Wells, I dont think is a feature back like a LT or Peterson. Moreno could spell a bigger back.

hagy34
01-11-2009, 08:54 PM
They were both big backs who played in the Big 10.

But frankly it's a ridiculous comparison because of the huge gap in athleticism

Exactly. They are not the same type of back and Wells will be a much better player at the next level....although we are talking about Dayne so it wouldn't take much. LOL.

hagy34
01-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Both. Wells, I dont think is a feature back like a LT or Peterson. Moreno could spell a bigger back.

Moreno will for sure be a feature back at the next level. Wells should be as well, although a back should spell him on passing downs.

AtariBigby
01-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Billy Sims, Herschel Walker, Eric Dickerson, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Ladanian Tomlinson, and Adrian Peterson were clearly top-5 worthy RBs.

But I hear you on most of the other guys. And injuries can ruin everything.
A guy from Oklahoma 20-25 years ago named Marcus DuPree was on his way to becoming a legend. Injury got him and now none of y'all have ever heard of him. Sad.