PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather have Jeremy Maclin or Michael Crabtree

JohnCandy
01-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Lets assume that Al will want to go WR in the 1st round. Who would you rather have if these are the measurable at the combine.

Jeremy Maclin 6' 200lbs 4.35 [40]

Michael Crabtree 6'2" 210lbs. 4.48 [40]

foozball
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
crab and it aint even close

JohnCandy
01-05-2009, 09:09 PM

I have not really watched WRs a lot in college why do you say that?

regoob2
01-05-2009, 09:17 PM
What he said. Crabtree has excellent hands, great size and can make plays after the catch. I dont think Crabtree is elite but Id take him over Maclin.

JohnCandy
01-05-2009, 09:18 PM
What he said. Crabtree has excellent hands, great size and can make plays after the catch. I dont think Crabtree is elite but Id take him over Maclin.

Is the Raiders at pick 7 good value or should Crabtree go lower?

BroadwayJoe10
01-05-2009, 09:20 PM
I still think I would take Maclin. I don't care the exact time they run at the combine, I just see Maclin getting consistent seperation, while at times it seems when Crab isn't benefiting from the spread offense, he struggles sometimes to get open.

Crab seems to be physical enough to get off the line, as well as possessing amazing hands to catch while covered.

I guess it depends on the team I'm choosing for, but I just prefer Maclin's game.

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm only going to say this once, I would much rather have crabs.

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 09:22 PM

Crabs very well could go higher than that.

regoob2
01-05-2009, 09:23 PM
I think he would be good value there depending on who else is available.

Bruce Banner
01-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Jeremy Maclin.

Staubach12
01-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Crabtree. When you run routes like that and you don't run a 4.7, I'll take you. Not to mention his size...

giantsfan
01-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Crabtree. When you run routes like that and you don't run a 4.7, I'll take you. Not to mention his size...

or run after the catch ability.

BeerBaron
01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Crabs. I see him as a mini-Larry Fitz type. (not mini in terms of size, just not the same caliber of prospect.) (and Crabs might just be faster)

Buc Baller12
01-05-2009, 09:33 PM
I'd take Mr. Crabs over Maclin. Crabs would be a good fit for any team especially if your team runs a west coast offense.

Brooder
01-05-2009, 09:35 PM
I see Crabtree as another Terrell Owens type WR.

ThePudge
01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I think Maclin is the more complete prospect and doesn't get credit for it. In addition, he can return kicks and punts. He's a hell of a player and has done it running NFL routes. More than just speed and does the little things.

Monomach
01-06-2009, 03:28 AM
Crabtree. Even if he runs a 4.7.

PossumBoy9
01-06-2009, 09:21 AM
I take Crabtree.

SenorGato
01-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Crabtree, but it's closer than people will say.

Maclin has done alot to make himself a better prospect. He's bigger than he was in '07, which was my #1 concern with him. He's versatile as hell. He's probably the fastest first round prospect with only DHB giving him a real run for his money. He's quick. Whoever gets him will be lucky to have him, even if as a pro WR he won't blow up as early as Crabtree will.

asmitty45
01-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Depends on the team. If i've already got one big physical guy then i want Maclin so he can stretch the field with a lot of single coverage.

But if i've got nothing then i'm taking crabs what he lacks in speed he makes up for in hands leaping ability and route running.

Also Maclin helps in the return game where crabs is ineffective.

Flyboy
01-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Crabby, Crabby, Crabby.

captainjack27
01-06-2009, 12:07 PM
I still think I would take Maclin. I don't care the exact time they run at the combine, I just see Maclin getting consistent seperation, while at times it seems when Crab isn't benefiting from the spread offense, he struggles sometimes to get open.

Crab seems to be physical enough to get off the line, as well as possessing amazing hands to catch while covered.

I guess it depends on the team I'm choosing for, but I just prefer Maclin's game.

Bingo, it depends what you really need. Maclin is going to be a great deep threat in this league. That's my biggest knock on Crabtree, getting separation downfield. However, Crabtree has great size and great hands. So honestly, it depends on what you need here. Neither receiver IMO is elite though.

CC.SD
01-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Clearly this has gotten out of hand, but I'll still throw another Crabtree vote out there. A while ago I said Crabtree would be the only elite prospect in this draft and I'm still not convinced I'm wrong.

CroomDawgs
01-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Crabtree is very overrated. He's got great hands and strength to get yards after the catch, but prolly runs a 4.6, very slow out of his break, and isn't a very good route runner. Maclin Is a fairly decent route runner, has 4.3 speed, and has good hands (not on Crabtree's level). He also provides return value.

I'd take maclin. FWIW i don't think either is an elite prospect.

CroomDawgs
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Depends on the team. If i've already got one big physical guy then i want Maclin so he can stretch the field with a lot of single coverage.

But if i've got nothing then i'm taking crabs what he lacks in speed he makes up for in hands leaping ability and route running.

Also Maclin helps in the return game where crabs is ineffective.

Where did you get this from, he's not a great route runner.

Brooder
01-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Close call though I see a bigger bust factor with Crab.

CC.SD
01-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Close call though I see a bigger bust factor with Crab.

There's a slight bust factor due to the system, but the film doesn't lie. There's always a bust factor with wideouts, and with short wideouts in particular, so Maclin has to watch his back too.

bitonti
01-06-2009, 01:11 PM
another great thread. I'd take Maclin because speed kills.

Menardo75
01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Crabtree as well best all around reciever in the draft.

katnip
01-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Jeremy Maclin... All day, every day

MinerRod
01-06-2009, 03:23 PM
I'd take Crab....but just barely

wicket
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
crabs is awesome easily him

espnhatesthe49ers
01-06-2009, 07:16 PM
I haven't looked too much into Maclin but Crabtree is Anquan Boldin part 2. Boldin had 75 catches of under 10 yards this season and only 2 catches of over 20 yards. He's a possession receiver but a RAC machine just like Crabtree's going to be. Forget his 40 time, forget that he can't get seperation down the field the guy's a player.

I hope he runs a slow 40 time and a bunch of idiot owners pass on him because of that. Let him slip to 10 and be a 49er.

thebow305
01-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Why even make a thread about this? If you vote Maclin, then you don't belong here IMO. Crabtree is bigger, stronger, and more polished. He's a notch below in speed, but not far enough behind that it makes any difference. The guy is the complete package. He will be an elite player in the NFL for a VERY long time IMO.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
I think a decent argument can be made for either, to be honest. Unless something major happens, the two are going to fall very close to each other on my final overall rankings.

captainjack27
01-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Why even make a thread about this? If you vote Maclin, then you don't belong here IMO. Crabtree is bigger, stronger, and more polished. He's a notch below in speed, but not far enough behind that it makes any difference. The guy is the complete package. He will be an elite player in the NFL for a VERY long time IMO.

A notch below, are you kidding me? Maclin is definitely faster and it's not even that close of an argument. He's bigger and got better hands and is a good YAC guy. But as Croom pointed out, he is not the best route runner and he has trouble getting separation at times. Crabtree is overrated. Still a great player, but not the messiah as some people think he is.

the_legend_killer
01-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Crabtree in a total wash

bearfan
01-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Crabtree easy. Maclin is definantly talented, but there are recievers like him every year (though not as good). Its harder IMO to find a really good big guy like Crabtree, so thats why I go with Tree

Jakey
01-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Id have Crabs anyday...just the thought of it makes me itch. This guy can straight up play, speed is always good, but i think it becomes an overrated point with wide recievers sometimes...i should know, im a steelers fan, id be suprised if Hines Ward ran any faster than a 4.85 these days. Crabtree more than makes up for his average speed, with his size, strength, good route running and great hands. Id take him pleazzzz!!!

cdub11
01-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Crabtree no doubt!

HoopsDemon12
01-07-2009, 10:48 PM
I would have to say Crabtree, from the first time SuperKev told me about him i was in love with his game. He's a big physical route runner, Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 and he was just fine. Not saying Crabs will be Rice.... He can catch well outside his frame and that is a good sign.

Macklin is a playmaker in his own right and unlike Crabs it will be in 2 parts of the game. They are two very different type receivers.... Deep Threat and YAC... All down to scheme and preference if you ask me.

BroadwayJoe10
01-08-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't understand why just because a receiver is physical and slow he is labeled a YAC guy and because someone is fast he is labeled as a "deep threat." Maclin has some of the best YAC ability in the draft; not saying that Crab doesn't as well.

When I draft a receiver I would like immediate impact, but I'm also drafting for potential. Crabtree already has fantastic hands, runs great routes and has excellent body control. Where does he go from there?? I strongly believe that he has a much lower ceiling than Maclin does, and may have already begun to reach it.

Maclin has all the speed and agility of a Teddy Ginn or Desean Jackson, but does so in a solid 6' 200 lb frame; bigger than 5'11 186 and 5'10 169lbs, respectively.

Maclin has proven that he has the strength to get off the LOS and get consistent downfield separation.

Both are fantastic prospects, but I just feel Maclin has a greater potential than Crab. And like bitonti said, Speed kills, which is why i prefer Maclin.

Texas Homer
01-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Crabtree and it is an easy choice for me. Crab reminds me a little of Andre Johnson.

hagy34
01-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Give me Crabtree. Fitzy isn't fast but he dominates. Crab will too.

hagy34
01-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Crabtree and it is an easy choice for me. Crab reminds me a little of Andre Johnson.

Doesn't have AJ's speed.

ElectricEye
01-08-2009, 12:11 AM
This is a very tough question. Honestly, I think it would come down to a team to team basis.

Crabtree is bigger, more physical, doesn't need to be completely open, has good game speed, and will get you a lot of yards after the catch. He'll move the chains more often and get loose easier than Maclin will.

Maclin is quick, fast, underrated over the middle and not really as small as people think. He'll get deep on people and be useful on screens and such. He also gives pretty elite level value as a return man.

Both of them have pretty good hands, but Crabtree is probably the more beastly out of the two. Crabtree is closer to being a 1 out of both of them, but Maclin isn't far behind. I would probably take Maclin personally just because he has the chance to be more explosive.

Texas Homer
01-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Doesn't have AJ's speed. Not many big WR's do have the speed AJ has. Crab reminds me of AJ because he is a physical WR that fights DB's for the ball and is not afraid to go across the middle.

Crab ain't AJ, but I think he is going to be a bonafide stud in the NFL.

savedbygrace89
01-08-2009, 07:11 AM
Lets assume that Al will want to go WR in the 1st round. Who would you rather have if these are the measurable at the combine.

Jeremy Maclin 6' 200lbs 4.35 [40]

Michael Crabtree 6'2" 210lbs. 4.48 [40]

I think Maclin just brings more the table in my opinion. He returns punts and kickoffs and is a very complete WR, but I just think that with the talent available in this draft that the Raiders would be smart to accept a trade and move down in this draft and get more talent. But that being said, I know the Raiders arent that smart so they will probably draft a RB.. not like they already have enough talent there...

Brent
01-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Crabtree has trouble getting separation and that scares me off as NFL cornerbacks are not going to be beat like college CBs. I like the threat of returning ability that Maclin has and I think his game speed is ridiculous. I would go with Maclin.

the decider13
01-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Like most people here, I want crabs.

JohnCandy
01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
What if you could trade down and get an extra pick and WR Jeremy Maclin?

Crabtree or Maclin and an extra 2nd?

rockio42
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Its very close between the guys, but people have to remember that these guys are different types of WRs...Crabtree is more of a Boldin type of guy while Maclin is more of a speed guy (couldn't think of a good comparison). I think they are the best in their respective types of recieving but if you had to ask me who at would take, without the question of which type of WR i like or my team needs, I would have to say (God and Mizzou forgive me) Michael Crabtree - the guy is a beast and will be a YAC monster in the NFL, but I think his bust factor is mugh higher than Maclin's.

rockio42
01-08-2009, 01:42 PM
What if you could trade down and get an extra pick and WR Jeremy Maclin?

Crabtree or Maclin and an extra 2nd?

Maclin and an extra 2nd

No question on that one, they are so close that is you had a 2nd to Maclin it becomes clear-cut

P-L
01-08-2009, 01:42 PM
I'll take Crabtree for now, but I won't know for sure until the combine. I'm going to need to see a sub-4.55 from him to keep him in front of Maclin.