PDA

View Full Version : Kickers!

bigbluedefense
01-06-2009, 10:31 AM
any kickers in this draft worth caring for?

Any Mason Crosbys coming out?

discuss.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Louie Sakoda and Graham Gano are two of my favorites and either one of them also project to be NFL quality punters as well.

Jose Martinez of UTEP has a Monster leg

jbeans187
01-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Pat Mcafee(sp?) the punter and kicker for WVU has a really powerful leg. Also Wolfert from Mizzou is the most accurate kicker in NCAA history, not sure on his pro potential though bc he doesnt have the biggest leg

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Pat Mcafee(sp?) the punter and kicker for WVU has a really powerful leg. Also Wolfert from Mizzou is the most accurate kicker in NCAA history, not sure on his pro potential though bc he doesnt have the biggest leg

Wolfert kind of reminds me of Vanderjagt

Race for the Heisman
01-06-2009, 10:45 AM

He choked when it came down to it, no way he's drafted. He might get into a camp, though.

If Gano goes as high as some people are claiming (fourth) there will probably be three kickers drafted: Gano, Sakoda, and someone else. I don't know whether that would be Swank or McAfee, or even a new name.

MinerRod
01-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Jose Martinez out of UTEP is a beast

YAYareaRB
01-06-2009, 03:37 PM
"King" Louie Sakoda kicked and punted for Utes. He's a monster! lol

I also like Colt David. He's a TD Machine.

Hokie's#1
01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
The best kickers and punters are

1. Graham Gano - FSU
1. Kevin Huber - Cincinnati
2. Sam Swank - Wake Forest
3. Louie Sakoda - Utah
4. Pat McAfee - WVU
5. Robbie Dehaze - Northern Arizona
6. Jeff Wolfert - Missouri
7. Thomas Morstead - SMU
8. Britton Colquitt - Tennessee
9. Matt Fodge - Oklahoma State

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 04:05 PM

1. Graham Gano - FSU
3. Louie Sakoda - Utah
4. Pat McAfee - WVU
7. Thomas Morstead - SMU

You don't even have the nation's best punter, Kevin Huber of Cincy on your list. He's talented enough where he almost declared early last year.

niu007
01-06-2009, 04:32 PM
If we're talking about punters, what about Jake Richardson from Miami, O?

I went to a game at NIU and even the NIU fans including me were going "Whoa!" every time he punted. I think he had one of the highest punting averages in the country.

CashmoneyDrew
01-06-2009, 04:38 PM
So is Sam Swank falling down people's lists? I haven't heard as much about him this year as I had the past couple of years.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 04:51 PM
So is Sam Swank falling down people's lists? I haven't heard as much about him this year as I had the past couple of years.

He was hurt this year with a leg injury i think. When a player's entire reason to play is dependent on his legs it's never good to see that happen.

underscore
01-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Penn State's Kevin Kelly is the NCAA's 4th all time leading scorer, though I don't think he's NFL material.

Hokie's#1
01-07-2009, 08:04 PM
You don't even have the nation's best punter, Kevin Huber of Cincy on your list. He's talented enough where he almost declared early last year.

Oh man I completely forgot. I even saw him play in the Orange Bowl. Easily the best punter. Will have a solid NFL career.

2 Live Crew
01-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Why don't NFL teams take 1 of these kicker/punter combo guys and use them for both positions and save the extra roster spot?

I just don't see how its that big of a deal to do both for a living if you're not doing anything else. I realize its not all that easy, but if these guys have the talent to do it college, why not the pro's for millions?

SuperKevin
01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Why don't NFL teams take 1 of these kicker/punter combo guys and use them for both positions and save the extra roster spot?

I just don't see how its that big of a deal to do both for a living if you're not doing anything else. I realize its not all that easy, but if these guys have the talent to do it college, why not the pro's for millions?

because god forbid he suffers a freak accident, you then have to scramble to sign 2 guys instead of just one. Plus I know most people won't think it's an issue but leg fatigue would surely set in towards the end of the season.

2 Live Crew
01-08-2009, 09:41 AM
because god forbid he suffers a freak accident, you then have to scramble to sign 2 guys instead of just one. Plus I know most people won't think it's an issue but leg fatigue would surely set in towards the end of the season.

Yea that's a good point. But I also think its kind of the thing where even though its smart and makes sense...no one else does it. So if a team tried it and it backfired like you said, then the media would just rip them a new one for trying something like that.

Kind of like the idea of a "closer" in baseball. A closer serves no real purpose to come in the 9th inning when your up by 3 to get a "save". Just put your best reliever in when you need him the most during the game (this is what they did back in the day).

But if someone tries it now and it backfires...the media will call them idiots for trying something outside the box that doesn't work.

I guess this also kind of applies to the whole theory that going for it on just about every 4th down improves your chance of winning...but coaches in the NFL are too scared to try this because of the backlash it could cause if it didn't work.

Brent
01-08-2009, 12:06 PM

1. Graham Gano - FSU
3. Louie Sakoda - Utah
4. Pat McAfee - WVU
7. Thomas Morstead - SMU
1st team All-Big 12 punter Justin Brantly wants to know why he isnt on that list.

Xiomera
01-08-2009, 01:10 PM
I might have suggested K.C. Lopata from Michigan before he missed the 26 yard field goal against Toledo this season. To hell with him.

I'm just thankful the Lions have the great Jason Hanson still.

Sniper
01-08-2009, 01:13 PM
I might have suggested K.C. Lopata from Michigan before he missed the 26 yard field goal against Toledo this season. To hell with him.

This post has been quoted for truth.

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Jose Martinez out of UTEP is a beast

only hit one fg beyond 50 yards this season. It was a 64 yarder though. lol. idk if he'll get drafted but he'll definitely get a look in camp with range like that.

Sakoda is just as sound an all around kicker as their is in the country. Every time i watch a game he's always making a big kick. Whether it's pinning the opponent inside the 10 or kicking a clutch Fg. Brings value as both a Kicker and Punter. I assume he'll be a kicker in the NFL but could he possibly punt?

SKim172
01-09-2009, 06:05 PM

Leg fatigue is definitely an issue. Jeremy Ito of Rutgers had to take over punting duties in his senior season and it just about killed his leg - no accuracy on long field goals, punts couldn't get any air, kickoffs couldn't produce a touchback. Some people can do it, but it's not a good idea for most kickers. It's not just fatigue - it's too easy to mess up the mechanics of their kicking.

BTW, Pat McAfee of West Virginia - is it an issue that he's a rugby-style punter? I like him better as a punter than kicker - too inconsistent as the latter. As a punter, he's got a strong leg and can place the ball anywhere he wants to on the field. But he's been doing that running punt for four years - will that be an issue? NFL teams don't really use that kind of punt - could he be as strong and accurate just doing a straight punt?

Smokey Joe
01-09-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm personally a fan of David Buehler. He's a real good athlete for a K, and he has a real strong leg. Probably won't get drafted, but I think he'll make a team.

holt_bruce81
01-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Jeff Wolfert will get a look. Great great accuracy (statistically the most accurate kicker in NCAA history) and has a 48-52 yard leg

Pokeys
01-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah I like that kicker from UTEP, hes got a serious leg. Put him up in Denver and hes sure to smash the Longest FG record.

M.O.T.H.
01-09-2009, 08:34 PM
I think Ryan Succop still has tremendous potential...may be a Gamecock fan but, he's still one of my favorite kickers here. He played this season w/ a torn abdominal muscle and his efficiency took a hit but, a healthy Succop is a fantastic talent.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I think Ryan Succop still has tremendous potential...may be a Gamecock fan but, he's still one of my favorite kickers here. He played this season w/ a torn abdominal muscle and his efficiency took a hit but, a healthy Succop is a fantastic talent.

Sorry, this just made me laugh.

Kicker with potential = LOL

Pokeys
01-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah.... HE JUST NEEDS MORE REPS!

tehee

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Two years ago i thought Succop and Swank were the real deal. Seems as if their stock is not quite high now.

M.O.T.H.
01-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Kickers are players too...just like every other position, there are "potential" players at the position. Succop could use a little coaching up, technique tweaking and a little knowledge goes a long way.