PDA

View Full Version : Andre Smith is overrated

bitonti
01-06-2009, 01:28 PM
did I miss something? did i miss a deity returning to earth to declare Andre Smith a sure fire top 3 pick?

here's my beef:

-due to selfish, stupid and avoidable actions, he left his team high and dry right before their bowl game, in which they lost. Why would he be less selfish as a pro?

-He looked like crap in pass protection against FLA, the team's biggest game, at a neutral site, in which they lost.

-He's listed at least an inch shorter than Oher, J Smith and Monroe.

-While those three are bashing at the Senior Bowl, Smith will be hanging with his agent.

-Oher won the best linemen in the SEC award, not Smith. (Oher's team actually beat Florida by the way, in their house, just sayin')

-Yes he's a great run blocker but great run blockers don't go top 3. LT are paid to pass block. And Smith has trouble with speed rushers. Jake Long was like this, but Long was a monster in terms of size and he stayed 4 years (and he didn't screw over his teammates to leave early).

-There's just no real reason why any OL should declare early. These guys play forever and for the most part, until they reach about 36, the older they get the better they get. It is not a position like RB where time is limited.

Im not saying Andre Smith sucks. Far from it. Just that he's being overrated, and Im not sure exactly why. It's like one of those statements that everyone repeats over and over eventually it becomes true.

If I were looking for a left tackle there are better options. Andre Smith is like Shaun Andrews. He's being billed as a tackle but will likely play guard, and be very good at it. But he's not a franchise LT... at least not as good as some of these other options.

and im not even gonna say ya heard it here first, b/c i've seen gil brandt and *other draft site* make the same point... but more positivily in regards to Oher being better, not Smith being worse.

foozball
01-06-2009, 01:33 PM
so are all juniors selfish?

keylime_5
01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Oher has been dropping, he looks like a mid first round pick right now, not a top 5 pick.

Unbiased
01-06-2009, 01:37 PM
so are all juniors selfish?

Not all juniors contact agents before their bowl games.

But as far as playing wise, Smith will be a much better RT than LT. If you want a LT, go for Monroe or Jason Smith.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
did I miss something? did i miss a deity returning to earth to declare Andre Smith a sure fire top 3 pick?

here's my beef:

-due to selfish, stupid and avoidable actions, he left his team high and dry right before their bowl game, in which they lost. Why would he be less selfish as a pro?

-He looked like crap in pass protection against FLA, the team's biggest game, at a neutral site, in which they lost.

-While those three are bashing at the Senior Bowl, Smith will be hanging with his agent.

-Oher won the best linemen in the SEC award, not Smith. (Oher's team actually beat Florida by the way, in their house, just sayin')

-Yes he's a great run blocker but great run blockers don't go top 3. LT are paid to pass block. And Smith has trouble with speed rushers. Jake Long was like this, but Long was a monster in terms of size and he stayed 4 years (and he didn't screw over his teammates to leave early).

-There's just no real reason why any OL should declare early. These guys play forever and for the most part, until they reach about 36, the older they get the better they get. It is not a position like RB where time is limited.

Im not saying Andre Smith sucks. Far from it. Just that he's being overrated, and Im not sure exactly why. It's like one of those statements that everyone repeats over and over eventually it becomes true.

If I were looking for a left tackle there are better options. Andre Smith is like Shaun Andrews. He's being billed as a tackle but will likely play guard, and be very good at it. But he's not a franchise LT... at least not as good as some of these other options.

and im not even gonna say ya heard it here first, b/c i've seen gil brandt and *other draft site* make the same point... but more positivily in regards to Oher being better, not Smith being worse.

I bet at least one of those 3 OTs(Oher, Monroe, Smith) won't play in the Senior Bowl.

wonderbredd24
01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I think Leonard Davis would be a better comparison to go with your point. Shawn Andrews was never going to be a left tackle.

I will be stunned if Andre Smith shows up at 340lbs to the combine

princefielder28
01-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I will agree with you on a few things. On this board he has been ordained as close as one can be to Christ, and his game isn't that flawless. Granted he is a talented individual and will be a solid player at the next level. He does have some character concerns and the agent situation is not going to help him in that department.

I think Smith is the #2 OT prospect; I am a HUGE fan of Michael Oher and think he'll be the tops.

bernbabybern820
01-06-2009, 01:40 PM
I love Andre Smith's strength and athleticism for his size but i am terrified of his footwork. Often times he is off balance and can be beat in the NFL if he doesn't improve. The team that drafts him better have a good line coach. He is far from perfect but every prospect has a flaw and Andre Smith's flaw is definitely coachable.

PACKmanN
01-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I bet at least one of those 3 OTs(Oher, Monroe, Smith) won't play in the Senior Bowl.

First round senior prospects hardly ever do, except when Williams did it a few years ago.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Oher has been dropping, he looks like a mid first round pick right now, not a top 5 pick.

Yeah, why is that? Just sloppy play? Or has his hype finally backfired and people are starting to tear him down?

Menardo75
01-06-2009, 01:47 PM
If Jake Long can be a solid left tackle then there is no reason why Andre Smith can't.

wonderbredd24
01-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I love Andre Smith's strength and athleticism for his size but i am terrified of his footwork. Often times he is off balance and can be beat in the NFL if he doesn't improve. The team that drafts him better have a good line coach. He is far from perfect but every prospect has a flaw and Andre Smith's flaw is definitely coachable.

People keep mentioning his footwork. With all the hype surrounding him, it keeps making me think Tony Mandarich. If he doesn't have the feet, he needs to move to RT in a hurry.

There's nothing wrong with him being a phenominal right tackle

wonderbredd24
01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
First round senior prospects hardly ever do, except when Williams did it a few years ago.

Didn't Joe Thomas go to the Senior Bowl?

illmatic74
01-06-2009, 01:50 PM
If Jake Long can be a solid left tackle then there is no reason why Andre Smith can't.I think Andre Smith could be as good as long but I think Monroe or Smith could be as good as Clady.

katnip
01-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Reminds me of a little better version than Levi Brown as a prospect....

guessing really... Am I right though?

illmatic74
01-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Didn't Joe Thomas go to the Senior Bowl?No But D'Brickshaw Ferguson did.

bitonti
01-06-2009, 02:00 PM
jake long stayed 4 years and is 6'7"

andre smith stayed 3 years is 6'4"

i don't see how we can compare these players and say they are the same

draftguru151
01-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Yea I definitely agree that he has been overhyped. I buy him as a top 20 OG, where I think he can be dominate at, but I've never seen the quickness (I guess suddenness would be more accurate as his feet are somewhat quick, more of going for him from not moving to moving quickness) or the footwork to be a left tackle. I've watched a whole game where he was literally the last person off the ball every single play. Don't really want that guy at LT. That doesn't even address the height and weight, which obviously are nowhere near ideal for a LT.

Sportycliche
01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
You are allowed to contact agents (you don't think guys who declare and sign with agents on the same day never talked to the agency beforehand). You are not allowed to sign anything or receive gifts though. Andre Smith though did not do any of that. He did something stupid, I grant you that, but nothing to do with an agent directly.

He is going to be a player that I think there will be a sharp divide on at any rate.

drowe
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
ya know. this is something i've always been curious about too.

On paper, he doesn't seem that great. he's borderline too short. has character issues. and seems to be a big tub of lard. i don't doubt that he's better than that, but he sure seems to have a lot of question marks for a potential top 3 pick.

Maybe it's his versatility and potential for instant impact. I have heard people say he could play either tackle position or guard. And THAT kind of player would be nice to have.

CashmoneyDrew
01-06-2009, 02:56 PM

here's my beef:

I don't see how him being "selfish" has anything to do with him being overrated as a player.

You must have been watching a different game than me because I only saw him get beat once on a well timed blitz towards the end of the game.

Soooo....

Just like every other junior, so what's your point?

Sam Bradford won the heisman. Does that mean he's the best pro prospect in the entire country?

Jake Long was underrated as a pass blocker and so is Andre Smith. They are both very sneaky athletic. As for him "screwing over his teammates" that's once again irrelevant about his skills as a prospect. To be honest it sounds like you're a bitter Alabama fan.

If he's going to be a top 5 pick, why should he go back strictly speaking in football terms?

No one ever really thought Shawn Andrews would be a LT so that's not a very good comparison.

Answers in bold obviously.

SenorGato
01-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I will agree with you on a few things. On this board he has been ordained as close as one can be to Christ, and his game isn't that flawless. Granted he is a talented individual and will be a solid player at the next level. He does have some character concerns and the agent situation is not going to help him in that department.

I think Smith is the #2 OT prospect; I am a HUGE fan of Michael Oher and think he'll be the tops.

Agreed.

I also think Jason Smith is in that Chris Samuels/Levi Jones mold.

I've been saying this stuff about A. Smith for a while now. He's not out of this world amazing at LT, and his frame and size don't offer that kind of projection down the road.

I hope no one confuses this as "Andre Smith is bad." He's versatile, he's big, he's nasty, he can run block, he can potentially play anywhere on the line...and he should be a high pick for all of this. But if I'm looking for a pure, modern LT...I'm going a different route.

Halsey
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
People seem to be suddenly more down on Andre Smith's physical talents since he was declared ineligible or suspended or whatever for the Sugar Bowl. Now being 6'4 will suddenly prevent him from playing LT in the NFL. His character questions and physical talents are 2 different things. It seems to me some fans are angry or disappointed in him for getting suspended so they are now making a bigger deal of his physical questions. Bringing up things like how Oher's team beat Ole Miss and Alabama didn't seems like a reach. Does that mean every player on Ole Miss's roster is a better prospect than every player on Alabama's roster? It's best not to get caught up in having an agenda against a guy because you didn't like one incident he was involved in.

Number 10
01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
He is behind Oher on my board for sure. Monroe and even Britton aren't far behind.

Still a top 15 pick when all is said and done, but he could be a Glenn Dorsey type in which people will fail to downgrade him even though the facts are hitting them in the nose.

YAYareaRB
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
This seems more like a post bowl rant than an evaluation of talent.

bitonti
01-06-2009, 03:55 PM

You'd think but with the Smith thing out there, with Scott, ESPN and others saying he's a top 5 pick, with Eben Britton and likely Ciron Black to deal with, don't they all have to play?

Joe Thomas was head and shoulders above the group, fair enough maybe he didn't have to go... but these three should all go... OL should play in the game. It's half-way understandable when the QB's do it but OL shouldn't be wusses like Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 03:57 PM
You'd think but with the Smith thing out there, with Scott, ESPN and others saying he's a top 5 pick, with Eben Britton and likely Ciron Black to deal with, don't they all have to play?

Joe Thomas was head and shoulders above the group, fair enough maybe he didn't have to go... but these three should all go... OL should play in the game. It's half-way understandable when the QB's do it but OL shouldn't be wusses like Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart.

Why risk any kind of injury, serious or not, that could hamper your training for the Combine. if you're already being told you're a top 15 pick you have really nothing to prove in the Senior Bowl. In fact they could see their stock drop by having to repeatedly go against elite pass rushers in practice all week.

CashmoneyDrew
01-06-2009, 03:58 PM

If I was a senior QB that only had more to lose than gain by playing in the Senior Bowl, I wouldn't do it either. I think it's more about intelligence than being a "wuss".

bitonti
01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
If I was a senior QB that only had more to lose than gain by playing in the Senior Bowl, I wouldn't do it either. I think it's more about intelligence than being a "wuss".

we all understand the business aspect but if a man lacks the risk-taking to play in an exhibition game with other college players maybe he shouldn't be playing NFL football.

by the way where are leinart and brady right now? those 2 sitting around the green room probably wished they didn't skip the Senior Bowl.

CashmoneyDrew
01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
we all understand the business aspect but if a man lacks the risk-taking to play in an exhibition game with other college players maybe he shouldn't be playing NFL football.

You could also twist it and say if a man who has nothing to gain by playing plays, then he probably lacks the intelligence to QB in the pros.

by the way where are leinart and brady right now? those 2 sitting around the green room probably wished they didn't skip the Senior Bowl.

I don't think them not playing in the senior bowl has anything to do with their current success or lack-there-of in the pros.

Halsey
01-06-2009, 04:08 PM

Matt Ryan and Eli Manning didn't play in the Senior Bowl either. I guess they don't fit your agenda though.

bitonti
01-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Matt Ryan and Eli Manning didn't play in the Senior Bowl either. I guess they don't fit your agenda though.

ok ill come clean my agenda is I like to watch people play football... sue me

again can half way understand the QBs doing it, the skill guys too but OL are supposed to be tougher than that.

CashmoneyDrew
01-06-2009, 04:32 PM
ok ill come clean my agenda is I like to watch people play football... sue me

again can half way understand the QBs doing it, the skill guys too but OL are supposed to be tougher than that.

Once again, it's not a matter of toughness.

giantsfan
01-06-2009, 04:40 PM
What the hell does toughness have to do with risking millions upon millions of dollars? If Michael oher or any of the other top senior OTs goes to the senior bowl and is sick, gets banged up or just due to going up against an elite pass rusher day after day see there stock drop would you agree showing up to the senior bowl would be a bad decision?

I'm not even mentioning the possibility that the guy suffers a major injury, dropping them out of the first day all together.

As for Andre Smith we've all known he's short and has inconsistent footwork for the whole season, yet he's been projected as a top 5 pick for a long time now, you'd think if it really worried people (NFL scouts) we'd be hearing rumblings about it. Now I'm sure some teams will down grade him because of those things but the guy has been a pretty good pass blocker in the SEC despite his questionable footwork, imagine how good he could be with a pro coaching staff working with him on it. He's much more nimble than Andrews or Leonard Davis were.

As for his getting suspended yeah he made a dumb mistake but we're talking about football players not all of them can be Rhodes Scholars and a lot of them make dumb decisions, if you're going to downgrade Andre Smith for his suspension you should also downgrade Michael Oher for barely being able to speak english.

Bengals78
01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
As for his getting suspended yeah he made a dumb mistake but we're talking about football players not all of them can be Rhodes Scholars and a lot of them make dumb decisions, if you're going to downgrade Andre Smith for his suspension you should also downgrade Michael Oher for barely being able to speak english.

Ouch that really has to hurt his argument. But it is true. The only difference between Andre Smith and a lot of other players is this: HE GOT CAUGHT.

Reggie Bush got caught after he left college. A lot of players and coaches do things that are against regulation. Only difference is being caught.

Andre Smith is the best OT right now. I think the Sugar Bowl proved it. Alabama couldnt run and couldnt pass without him. Im not saying he is a perfect or flawless prospect. He has problems. But his upside is too high to say he is overrated as a top 5 pick.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I think someone else said it in here but he reminds me a lot of Levi Brown.

Menardo75
01-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Until further notice he is a top five pick in my book.

bernbabybern820
01-06-2009, 05:30 PM

People keep mentioning his footwork. With all the hype surrounding him, it keeps making me think Tony Mandarich. If he doesn't have the feet, he needs to move to RT in a hurry.

There's nothing wrong with him being a phenominal right tackle

You can't teach athleticism but you can definitely teach footwork.

zepplant
01-06-2009, 05:44 PM

end thread right here....

besides detroying the arguement that started the thread you bring up some good points...

1- if anything Smith should benefit from the suspension the way the Utah defense destory Parker-Wilson and ran roughshod in Bama's backfield all night...it showed that not only was Andre Smith the best player on the Tide's team he was also the most important player on the offense...

2- Oher does not play smart football if you watch him- he's slow picking up blitzes and struggles recoginizing defenses, which may go back to his learning disability...

DetroitFalcons
01-06-2009, 07:12 PM
This years tackle prospects are split into two categories with not one of them great in all areas of the game. The two categories are 1. Drop-back Pass Protectors and 2. Running Zone Blockers. In category 1, Michael Oher/ Eugene Munroe is tops, and in category 2 Jason Smith/Andre Smith is tops . Who gets chosen where will be determined by the type of offense a team runs and their need for that kind of tackle. In other words, the teams needing to protect the Peyton Mannings of the world will choose Oher/Munroe and those needing to protect the Jay Cutlers of the world will choose from the two Smiths.

thebow305
01-06-2009, 07:33 PM
I totally agree with the thread title. IMO, he's probably the most over-rated player in this draft, right up there with Aaron Curry.

I'm not saying he won't be a great player, he could probably be an All-Pro Offensive Guard, but not Left Offensive Tackle. I can't wait to see who takes him in the Top 5 and sticks him at Left Tackle. Should be fun!

D-Unit
01-06-2009, 07:42 PM
If most people agree that he's overhyped... then is he really overhyped? ? ?

Bengals78
01-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Maybe he is being underestimated now. Its a trend. If he comes out and tears it up at the combine everyone will return to thinking he is amazing.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 07:56 PM

I...I...I..don't.......(head explodes)

Babylon
01-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Maybe he is being underestimated now. Its a trend. If he comes out and tears it up at the combine everyone will return to thinking he is amazing.

I don't think he's overrated (any more than any others in this draft) but i dont think he's the type of athlete to tear up the combine either.

Larry
01-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Most overrated player in the draft. Speed rushers in the NFL are going eat this kid for breakfast. I would move this kid to guard, but that's just me.

Larry
01-06-2009, 08:29 PM
jake long stayed 4 years and is 6'7"

andre smith stayed 3 years is 6'4"

i don't see how we can compare these players and say they are the same

Not to mention the weight difference. Smith is probably packing 40 more pounds than Jake Long.

bernbabybern820
01-06-2009, 08:55 PM
end thread right here....

besides detroying the arguement that started the thread you bring up some good points...

1- if anything Smith should benefit from the suspension the way the Utah defense destory Parker-Wilson and ran roughshod in Bama's backfield all night...it showed that not only was Andre Smith the best player on the Tide's team he was also the most important player on the offense...

2- Oher does not play smart football if you watch him- he's slow picking up blitzes and struggles recoginizing defenses, which may go back to his learning disability...

The bigger reason was that they had to shuffle their whole o-line.

giantsfan
01-07-2009, 03:17 PM
This years tackle prospects are split into two categories with not one of them great in all areas of the game. The two categories are 1. Drop-back Pass Protectors and 2. Running Zone Blockers. In category 1, Michael Oher/ Eugene Munroe is tops, and in category 2 Jason Smith/Andre Smith is tops . Who gets chosen where will be determined by the type of offense a team runs and their need for that kind of tackle. In other words, the teams needing to protect the Peyton Mannings of the world will choose Oher/Munroe and those needing to protect the Jay Cutlers of the world will choose from the two Smiths.

Jason Smith is a better drop-back pass protector than either michael Oher or eugene monroe so I don't understand why you split them up the way you did. And Andre Smith should be much more effective in a power running scheme than a ZBS. Could you please explain why you split them the way you did?

Mouse
01-07-2009, 09:43 PM
ESPN's draft site lists him says he is 6-4 7/8. Which means he is much closer to 6-5 than he is to 6-3

Will that make a difference?

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 09:47 PM
ESPN's draft site lists him says he is 6-4 7/8. Which means he is much closer to 6-5 than he is to 6-3

Will that make a difference?

ESPN's draft site doesn't have an official measurement. Nobody will until Feburary at the Combine.

jnew76
01-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Jason Peters - LT - Buffalo Bills - 6'4" - 340lbs - All Pro - Pro-Bowler - He is a stud. Reminds me of Andre Smith in every way. Peters might actually be a better athlete and has really good feet. But if you are looking for a comparison to Andre Smith, there is none better than Peters.

Scott Wright
01-07-2009, 10:13 PM
I was told that Smith came in at 6-3 3/4 at Alabama's Pro Day last year.

Zyro_1014
01-07-2009, 10:23 PM
Jason Peters - LT - Buffalo Bills - 6'4" - 340lbs - All Pro - Pro-Bowler - He is a stud. Reminds me of Andre Smith in every way. Peters might actually be a better athlete and has really good feet. But if you are looking for a comparison to Andre Smith, there is none better than Peters.

Peters was a former tight end wasnt he? doesnt seem like they would compare well.

TACKLE
01-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Zyro you are correct. Although he was obviously a blocking TE, he was obviously quite athletic to keep him at TE for his whole career at Arkansas.

Zyro_1014
01-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Zyro you are correct. Although he was obviously a blocking TE, he was obviously quite athletic to keep him at TE for his whole career at Arkansas.

yeah, it just seems to me that Peters would be a much more athletic tackle compared to someone like Smith.

People have always questioned Smith's weight, and talk has sometimes even led to him possibly being a guard.

Just doesnt seem like those two would compare well.

01-07-2009, 11:01 PM
I think he was mainly comparing measurables. Smith is no slouch at tackle, but athletically they're not in the same league and that should be clear.

For me it's still Shaun Andrews although it might not be something we could analyze until a few years down the road I’d think. He will get a crack on the outside initially as any would expect from a top 10 pick without a natural position, which is probably where the difference is drawn between the two actually. Long - term I still think they compare quite favorably though.

Halsey
01-07-2009, 11:09 PM
I know it's best for an OT to be tall and long, but their job is to stay between the defender and the QB during a pass play and to push the defender out of the way during a run play, not shoot a jump shot over a defender. If a OT is doing those things during the games, is it really an issue that he's a couple of inches below ideal height.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-07-2009, 11:12 PM
I really don't understand why people think height is a huge deal for offensive tackles except how it pertains to how wide their trunk is (harder to get around) and how long their arms are. Smith's arms look plenty long and his trunk is more "robust" than either Oher's or Monroe's.

Menardo75
01-08-2009, 02:46 AM
yeah, it just seems to me that Peters would be a much more athletic tackle compared to someone like Smith.

People have always questioned Smith's weight, and talk has sometimes even led to him possibly being a guard.

Just doesnt seem like those two would compare well.

As players they are not a bad comparison, but as athletes Peters is far supperior.

bitonti
01-08-2009, 08:35 AM
I was told that Smith came in at 6-3 3/4 at Alabama's Pro Day last year.

again im not saying Andre Smith stinks, far from it, i just think if a player is gonna be considered a top 5 LOCK he should have ideal measurables. He's closer to top 20 than top 5. I don't forsee a situation where an NFL GM says hey let's get that 6'3" guy and pay him 40 million dollars to play left tackle.

ps- we talk about jason peters but he went undrafted!

DetroitFalcons
01-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Jason Smith is a better drop-back pass protector than either michael Oher or eugene monroe so I don't understand why you split them up the way you did. And Andre Smith should be much more effective in a power running scheme than a ZBS. Could you please explain why you split them the way you did?

As I see it, Jason Smith is the best OT in the draft except for a lack of bulk which he has yet to overcome and might never overcome. This will limit his ability to stop some pass rushers in the classic drop back pass protection line offenses. Andre has some difficulty with the slide protection and a lack of height. Oher and Munroe have all the measurables for a drop back pass protection line but don't seem to have the fire for a running zone blocking type of offense.

Scott Wright
01-08-2009, 09:25 AM
As I see it, Jason Smith is the best OT in the draft except for a lack of bulk which he has yet to overcome and might never overcome. This will limit his ability to stop some pass rushers in the classic drop back pass protection line offenses. Andre has some difficulty with the slide protection and a lack of height. Oher and Munroe have all the measurables for a drop back pass protection line but don't seem to have the fire for a running zone blocking type of offense.

Jason Smith might be the best pass protector but Andre Smith is a better all-around player when it comes to run and pass blocking. I actually think Michael Oher is close to Jason Smith as a pass blocker though and he can be a much better run blocker when he wants to be.

Sniper
01-08-2009, 09:33 AM
For me it's still Shaun Andrews although it might not be something we could analyze until a few years down the road Id think. He will get a crack on the outside initially as any would expect from a top 10 pick without a natural position, which is probably where the difference is drawn between the two actually. Long - term I still think they compare quite favorably though.

Shawn Andrews never played tackle in the NFL though.