PDA

View Full Version : Mike Newton, Safety from Buffalo

Mr. Irrelevant
01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
I came away extremely impressed with this guy while watching him play in his conference championship game. Really seemed to have a nose for the ball. Was looking forward to watching him play in his bowl game, but he dislocated his shoulder blowing up a reverse. He's about 5'10/5'11 200 lbs, next year will be his senior year. Any thoughts on him?

Also, Naaman Roosevelt (WR Buffalo) impressed me just as much. I think he's gonna be a really good one.

Neither of the two are really highly regarded, so it'll be interesting to see how their senior years go.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 05:35 PM
The other safety for Buffalo, Davonte Shannon is the real star on that defense. Even as a sophomore he's by far the best player on the defense.

Mr. Irrelevant
01-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I had heard about Shannon, but actually came away more impressed with Newton. Just one game of course, but I really feel Newton has an NFL future.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Newton's a little small to play safety in the NFL. Problem is he doesn't really have the speed and hips to play CB full time either. I think if he wants to play in the NFL it'd be as a nickel or dime back at best

giantsfan
01-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Newton's a little small to play safety in the NFL. Problem is he doesn't really have the speed and hips to play CB full time either. I think if he wants to play in the NFL it'd be as a nickel or dime back at best

Mike's undersized for the NFL but he's a tough SOB and could probably pack on 5-10 pounds. I don't think his size will stop him from playing safety at the next level although it certainly will hurt his draft stock. And yeah Shannon's a monster.

Starks is the best player we have on offense even though Roosevelt has been huge for us.