PDA

View Full Version : Who should KC take a 3?

KCStud
01-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Just curious what you guys think.

First of all, KC's DL produced less sacks than anybody, so we know DE is a need, BUT there are no DE's worth top 3 value/money IMO. I have seen Orakpo and he is not worth the 3 spot IMO. Durability and his lack of pass rush moves scare me.
I would absolutely LOVE to have Stafford, but he will most likely be in Detroit, so he is basically gone. Bradford is overrated IMO. Too much talent around him and hasn't experienced pressure at all this season. Needs another year at school.
And finally, the position that looks like it is worth top 3 is OT. Oher, Monroe, and Smith would all be worth the pick, BUT KC drafted Branden Albert and he has been very good in pass protection. KC is very high on him at LT and wants him there. It would be foolish to move him or waste money on a RT.

So, this is just my opinion. I think KC should draft Aaron Curry, assuming Stafford is gone. He is a need and is a top 3 value.

Thoughts?

BPhilb
01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I still think a Tackle is the way to go. It's historically the lowest risk position to evaluate on and whether the rookie or Albert moves to another position is irrelavent to me as we would be strenghting the line. I've heard the arguement that we shouldn't tie up 30+ million signing bonus into a RT, but given our LT is already paid at a reasonable contract I think the argument is moot.

Either way though we can draft at about any of 10 different positions and we will be upgrading our talent right away. I love our young guys, but our roster still has too many holes.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2009, 06:12 PM
with the way teams attack the qb nowadays, i don't think drafting a RT that early is necessarily a bad idea.

having bookend Tackles who can run block and pass protect is priceless. at the very worst you can move Albert back to LG where he could be one of the best LGs in the game.

if not, you can draft a guy like Andre Smith who would be dominant as a RT in the pros.

Linebackers are much easier to find than offensive linemen. Im a Curry fan, but i don't think he's a top 3 worthy player. if i had to choose a guy id take a linemen.

BuddyCHRIST
01-06-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm having a hard time with this one, because I don't think Curry is near the elite prospect people are making him out to be. Especially as a 4-3 backer, that would be wayy to high. I don't get to see the Chiefs very much but I agree an OT isn't the way to go if they like Albert at LT. Bowe is the only threat I know of at WR, but Crabtree and him are a little too similar in their style of play (though thats worked ok for the Cardinals). I know Flowers played well, but I'm of the opinion that Jenkins is an elite prospect and think he could be an impact player. Ideally I think the best thing would be to trade down and take Orapko or Brown but that's always easier said that done, if they are to stay at 3 I'd probably go with Jenkins though the more I think about I could see Curry fitting in with Derrick Johnson but I just don't like him at 3 overall. Is Beanie a possibility? I know LJ wants out (plus he's 29) and while I always liked Jamaal Charles, I know alot of people don't think he's an every down back.

I actually kind of agree with the above posters though, KC was successful with dominant O-Lineman and drafting someone like Andre Smith who could play a few positions on the O-line would be pretty safe.

princefielder28
01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I would say Brian Orakpo is round one and grab Gerald McRath in round two

Scott Wright
01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't see a tackle in round one.

Branden Albert is entrenched on the left side and you certainly don't pay $30 million guaranteed for a right tackle or guard.

hockey619
01-06-2009, 06:55 PM
How much did Steve Hutchinson get as a guard? Is anyone really gunna argue that he hasnt had a huge effect on that team? Him and McKinnie are a formidable left side and can run block the hell out of anyone. I hate the argument that guards arent worth the money.

Why not do something like that if your the Chiefs? You select Andre Smith if hes there as a guard or even if possible trade back for a reduced price and just pick up some picks and to allow yourself to draft someone for less cash and take Duke Robinson and Alex Mack.

This draft has some very good olineman and i think its perfect for a team trying to rebuild. If they got Robinson and Mack that would solidify the Oline for a decade and theyd be set like back in the Roaf-Shields days. Im a very firm believer in the trenches determining games and this is the way to do it for me anyway.

Scott Wright
01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Hutchinson didn't get anything CLOSE to $30 million guaranteed and he was a proven All-Pro.

hockey619
01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
His contract was worth 16 million guarenteed, but the cap has increased a lot since then and guys are going to start getting paid more a more. Plus, all high picks get more money than seems reasonable, so to me no matter what your paying 30 mil to a guy unless you trade back, you either take the guy that helps the most or take the guy that it makes the most financial sense to pay but isnt as useful. 30 mil is a lot to sink into any one guy though so id look to trade back at a reasonable price like Baltimore did this past year.

coordinator0
01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
I have to agree with Scott on this one... I don't think an offensive lineman will be picked if Kansas City likes Albert at left tackle. If they don't, the Chiefs could move Albert to LG and pick a LT at 3. When all is said and done I like Crabtree (if he declares of course), Orakpo, Curry, or Jenkins as candidates for the Chiefs. I think Crabtree and Bowe would be a good tandem, even if they are similar. Would the Texans pass on a guy with Andre Johnson's skills/ability? I don't think so. Orakpo provides a pass-rush that is much needed and paired with Hali they would be great IMO. Curry would be a nice fit at MLB for the Chiefs, and that would lessen the concerns about his lack of fluidity because MLB's generally don't need to cover as much ground as OLB's IMO (unless it's a cover 2). Jenkins is a guy that you don't pass up unless you're set at the CB position or your other needs are that much more important. He'd make a nice pairing with Flowers IMO.

Splat
01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm leaning towards Brian Orakpo since DE is by FAR our biggest need but I would like to try and trade down a spot or two to take him not sure he is worth the 3rd pick.

LonghornsLegend
01-06-2009, 07:12 PM
I think Orakpo gets a serious consideration, especially with a strong combine showing, I like his fit as an end with Dorsey in the middle, and they could use someone to get after the QB but it seems a tad too high for Rak, maybe a trade down becomes available.

I don't think O-lineman is a thought, they either see what QB is there, or go bpa, the Chiefs are young with holes everywhere, I'm sure they could use help all over the place.

hockey619
01-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I didnt see too much KC this year so i was just going off of what ive heard and how i believe teams should be built, so forgive me if i seemed abrasive at all.

I dont know how KC's oline did this year cause i didnt see them much, but i was under the impression that they werent so hot cause the team as a whole didnt do to well.

I do know that the pass rush needed help so that would be the way id go unless i couldnt get value at that spot. The thing is that who would it be and who would become the strong side end between them and Hali. My guess would be Hali but thats just me. That would mean you could get a more one dimensional guy at the opposite spot who would be specifically for rushing the passer.

Keep in mind that Orakpo might not be worth the three pick now, but that may not be the case in april after the comine and pro day workouts.

Splat
01-06-2009, 07:17 PM
I really hope the Chiefs don't go QB round one TT might not be a pro bowler but if we build around him maybe he could be or at least be a solid starter.

Shane P. Hallam
01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Curry and moving him to ILB would be solid. I also think Orakpo may end up being worth #3 if he works out well.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm not 100% sure if I'd rule out Crabtree at #3 if I'm KC. It's a fact that the Chiefs will be going into 2009 with a young QB whether it's Tyler Thigpen or a rookie. Giving whoever is taking snaps a WR corps featuring Bowe and Crabtree will make life a lot easier.

BPhilb
01-06-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm of the belief that a lot of the probelms from our defense this year came from the fact that we couldn't sustain drives very often and our defense was wore down by the 2nd half in a lot of our games. If anyone besides me watched the game against Cincinnati we had the ball 1st and goal on the 1 yard line and tried two passes and a run from the "wildcat" formation to try to get the ball in the end zone. We had no confidence in our line at all this year and it killed us. Our left side is pretty solid but we can use an upgrade at the other 3 positions.

I also disagree with Scott (I don't make a habit of this) on the $30 million bonus for a left tackle. If we draft Smith or another tackle and left Albert on the left side it's not like we have two tackles with huge bonuses. As long as the resources are evenly spread out I don't think it matters if the dollars go to the right side or left.

PACKmanN
01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
trade down would be the best option.

jballa838
01-06-2009, 07:53 PM
This is one pick I will be watching intensely.
If I were KC, I'd go OT. Solid pick who can contribute immediately.

ChiFan24
01-06-2009, 07:55 PM
This really depends on who the coach and GM are, and whether Gailey is kept as offensive coordinator. If he is, I can see them sticking with Thigpen/Croyle. If not, I think they give Sanchez and/or Bradford every opportunity to impress them.

Drafting a right tackle that high would be a massive waste of money. I think much of the reason Arizona did it with Levi Brown is because they thought he'd be protecting Leinart's blind side. If it were me drafting, I'd probably go with Curry and make him a MIKE, assuming Stafford is off the board.

keylime_5
01-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't think they'll take a linebacker in the top 3, especially to play middle linebacker which Curry isn't an ideal fit at. I think DE, QB, or WR is the best bet, meaning Crabtree or Bradford if not Orakpo or whoever at DE.

bored of education
01-06-2009, 08:00 PM
This is the toughest pick I think KC has to make i many years. Last year was a no brainer. if you epic fail on a top 5 pick it can set you further back than you were before. Their are immediate needs like LB and DE that could be addressed with this pick. Orakpo and Brown are two prospects I have been keeping an eye on and neither screams top 5 pick to me YET. Aaron Curry is one of the best LB prospects in years. Teaming him up with DJ and a rotation of Demorrio/Donnie/ whoever else would be very solid.

There are 4 picks I see that would not shock me, but are not the most immediate needs.
1. Going LT (Monroe is my personal fav LT prospect)
2. Picking QB (bradford/Stafford..this really depends on the GM situation and how the Gm apporaches the HC situation)
3. Crabtree
4. Jenkins

It really boggles my mind at this moment and I am so unsure where KC goes until the GM is in place and the decisions that GM makes.

DetroitFalcons
01-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Would you believe that if Sanchez opts to come out he will leapfrog Stafford and Bradford and KC will trade their 1st and 2nd to Detroit for him? Not only does he look more the part but he would be great PR for KC. KC also has history with Detroit in trading picks. Otherwise, I believe KC sits where it is and one of the underclassmen DT or DE gets picked. I don't think Orakpo will stun them enough to pull the trigger on him that high up. While I like Curry, as others have said, no one is going to pay that much guaranteed money to a LB. I also think after the combines that Vontae Davis will leapfrog Malcolm Jenkins.

foozball
01-06-2009, 08:14 PM
crabtree and bowe ftw

take shonn greene in round 2 for that smash/dash combo with jamaal charles since lj wants out

connor barwin in round 3 for that pass rusher opposite tamba

tah dah

bored of education
01-06-2009, 08:17 PM
crabtree and bowe ftw

take shonn greene in round 2 for that smash/dash combo with jamaal charles since lj wants out

tah dah

Have you interviewed for the GM job yet?

Malaka
01-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Would you believe that if Sanchez opts to come out he will leapfrog Stafford and Bradford and KC will trade their 1st and 2nd to Detroit for him? Not only does he look more the part but he would be great PR for KC. KC also has history with Detroit in trading picks. Otherwise, I believe KC sits where it is and one of the underclassmen DT or DE gets picked. I don't think Orakpo will stun them enough to pull the trigger on him that high up. While I like Curry, as others have said, no one is going to pay that much guaranteed money to a LB. I also think after the combines that Vontae Davis will leapfrog Malcolm Jenkins.

I doubt Vontae Davis leapfrogs Malcolm Jenkins, not only will Jenkins also put up very good combine numbers (not as good as Vontae's) but he also was benched this year, granted on pure potential alone Vontae is still a first round pick, but he has a ways to go to become a very good corner, Malcolm on the other hand is one of my favorite cornerback prospects in the last few years, with good size, great speed, great tackling ability, good playmaking skills, great in coverage, and is also very physical.

Back on topic however :)...

I can see the Chiefs trading out of this pick, it is definitely likely, but I like Orakpo for the spot and after the combines I think his stock will rise and make him a top 3 pick, as of right now I really think Orakpo will be a Chief. The other possibility is another tackle, like Andre Smith to play guard or RT, or bring in Eugene Monroe and move Albert back to guard just like in college, but Monroe might be a bit of a reach at three.

bigbluedefense
01-06-2009, 08:23 PM
so lets say they don't go RT.

so you would rather give 30 mill guaranteed to a LB? a DE who is not worth a top 3 pick?

what else can do they besides qb to make that 30 mill guaranteed justifiable?

the money is too much regardless of who's taken. you gotta take whoever will help your team the most and who will give you the biggest return on that money.

a stoute offensive line effects the entire offense. i think a linemen is not only the safest pick, but will also give you the most return for your investment.

Babylon
01-06-2009, 08:24 PM

Let me get this straight, Sanchez is going to declare then he's going to leapfrog Stafford and Bradford. At that point the Chiefs then decide they better trade up with Detroit to be sure they get him and after all that he is somehow going to be great PR. No i dont believe it to answer your 1st question.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-06-2009, 08:24 PM
If the Chiefs keep the Cover 2 style defense, that may make Curry a bit more of an option, because I think he'd be a pretty great Mike in that scheme, but somehow a linebacker going in the top 3 doesn't seem likely. Branden Albert has been good when he's been healthy, so no reason to think they need another left tackle, and no reason to drop top 3 money on a non-blindside tackle.

That leaves quarterback and defensive line. We have to see how the quarterback situation shakes out (who's coming out and how the scouts react to them), but it wouldn't shock me to see the team go in that direction. In the same breath, defensive end is probably the biggest need, and while picking one at that spot might wind up being a slight reach, it wouldn't be egregious.

I'm inclined to say QB at the moment, but this is looking to be one of the more unpredictable spots in the draft.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 08:25 PM
crabtree and bowe ftw

tah dah

Whatever happened to Kolby Smith? He did well when he had to play 2 years ago. Anyway, I think you can get a power guy in the mid rounds like what Arizona did with Tim Hightower and the Cowboys did with marion Barber a few years ago.

Draft Crabtree in round 1

Best available OL in round two, preferably a strong run blocker to play on the right side.

A DE in round 3. I don't think Barwin lasts that long but a guy like Cody Brown of UConn could be good there.

In round 4 you take a bruising RB like Andre Brown of NC State.

hockey619
01-06-2009, 08:50 PM
so lets say they don't go RT.

so you would rather give 30 mill guaranteed to a LB? a DE who is not worth a top 3 pick?

what else can do they besides qb to make that 30 mill guaranteed justifiable?

the money is too much regardless of who's taken. you gotta take whoever will help your team the most and who will give you the biggest return on that money.

a stoute offensive line effects the entire offense. i think a linemen is not only the safest pick, but will also give you the most return for your investment.

I said the same thing on the first page.

Why take a guy you kinda need at a position thats traditionally more worth the cash for 30 mil, over a guy you really need at a 'lesser' position for 30 mil? Makes no sense bussiness sense. 30 mil is 30 mil no matter how you look at it.

Dark Knight01
01-07-2009, 12:42 AM
If they are smart they need to take Orakpo.

They need a DE to replace Jared Allen in the worst way.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-07-2009, 01:10 AM

That's a huge generalization. Linemen bust about as often as anyone else, and while they represent a great value in the grand scheme of football positions, they aren't necessarily all that more valuable than top notch pass rusher.

Big_Pete
01-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Firstly, I think the Chiefs would like to trade down if at all possible. I just don't think there will be many takers to trade up.

If Stafford and Bradford both come out (or perhaps Tebow/Sanchez), I think it would be really hard to pass up on a quality QB like these guys.

Just look at how well that has served teams like NYG, Pittsburgh, Colts, Bengals, San Diego and Atlanta.

QB is the most important position on any team; other positions can likely be upgraded in later rounds. It also makes alot more sense to invest that kind of money in a QB more than any other position.

KC is a team that needs a major overhaul of the roster. It makes sense to rebuild around a franchise QB.

ToldLikeItIs
01-07-2009, 04:25 AM
The Chiefs should either trade down or draft Malcolm Jenkins.

NIN1984
01-07-2009, 08:59 AM
When you look at the Chiefs season the defense failed them more than once. TT had them in position to win at least 5 games. Chiefs defense I believe had 10 sacks all season and if Orakpo who is already very talented has a good combine, he will most likely be the pick.

marshfield
01-07-2009, 09:34 AM
KC is bad enough to be able to take anybody at any position, whoever they feel is the best player on the board at the 3rd pick will be a good fit for them.

AtariBigby
01-07-2009, 10:44 AM
You guys have a QB already in Thigpen. He looked good. Why would anyone in KC-land want to waste a pick on another QB gamble? Thigpen is already better than half of the recent top-3 QB's drafted in the past 10 years. Forget QB.

WR's tend to be busts at a high rate too, and Texas Tech is a funky system. I'd avoid Crabtree if I was you for sure. I know you need another WR though, but don't use #3 on him.

I think your best options are:
-One of the premiere OL
-Malcolm Jenkins
-Brian Orakpo

Your team was awesome when Priest and LJ were running behind a talented great OL. You can't have too many great OL, no matter what the book says about how much $ you're supposed to throw at the OL. Burn that book. Some teams (Colts) spend most their $ on offense. Some (Ravens) spend most their $ on defense. The purple people eaters spent a lot of their money on the OL, and on defense. You get what you pay for.

As for taking a guy at #3 who doesn't seem worthy of the #3 position: it's all a matter of dollars. It doesn't matter if you get the guy at 3, 5, or 7 if he turns out to be a franchise player for you.

If I was you, I'd take the best OL available. Otherwise, I would take Lalcolm in the middle. He will not be a bust.

NIPS
01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
KC is bad enough to be able to take anybody at any position, whoever they feel is the best player on the board at the 3rd pick will be a good fit for them.

Yup, the Chiefs need help in 22 positions, they are awful. That defense gets boned every sunday on running and passing plays.

But lets look at their history in drafting DL... It's downright embarrasssing, they either cannot develop talent or just have bad luck drafting

Look at this

Junior Siavi - bust
Ryan Sims - bust
Tamba Hali - borderline Bust
Glen Dorsey - To early, but he's going down the same path.. he got pushed around alot this year, I said it before the draft I thought Dorsey was overated and that his injuries were gonna resurface

Thats some bad picks for the Chiefs that blew 1st rd picks on these guys

If they ever expect to win they need defense, only sure fire guy I see is Malcolm Jenkins

They need a young stud CB to go along with a couple good young safeties they have and that secondary would be pretty good.. Start from there and work your way up

They could a LB or DT like Brace in rd 2

bitonti
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
this is an interesting discussion

when we are talking about top 3 picks, history has shown that pick is usually a QB, OT, DT or DE. other positions obviously have been top 3 picks (like WR/CB) but that's the standard range of positions.

if we assume they aren't going OT or DT because of last year that leaves QB or DE.

they could do alot worse than top pass rusher or top QB.

KaneMarko
01-07-2009, 12:05 PM
For me, the opportunity to draft one of the top QBs in any given draft is a very rare event. And, now that Stafford has made it known that he's entering the draft, it he's there at 3, the Chiefs need to at least SERIOUSLY consider him. Scott has said many times, unless you know you have a franchise guy at QB, you do not pass up the chance to get one. And as well as Thigpen played this year, he still appears to be limited to the spread offense. And I'm not sure he's a long term solution at that spot.

The Chiefs have a lot of needs and can use a lot of the players that will be available at 3. But if Stafford is one of them, he needs, at least, to be seriously considered if he's still there at 3.

PossumBoy9
01-07-2009, 12:14 PM
For me, the opportunity to draft one of the top QBs in any given draft is a very rare event. And, now that Stafford has made it known that he's entering the draft, it he's there at 3, the Chiefs need to at least SERIOUSLY consider him. Scott has said many times, unless you know you have a franchise guy at QB, you do not pass up the chance to get one. And as well as Thigpen played this year, he still appears to be limited to the spread offense. And I'm not sure he's a long term solution at that spot.

The Chiefs have a lot of needs and can use a lot of the players that will be available at 3. But if Stafford is one of them, he needs, at least, to be seriously considered if he's still there at 3.

As a Rams fan, I'd be pretty upset if Stafford is still available at #3.

Splat
01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
The other possibility is another tackle, like Andre Smith to play guard or RT, or bring in Eugene Monroe and move Albert back to guard just like in college, but Monroe might be a bit of a reach at three.

I'm not saying they don't go OL but I don't see any way they move Albert he was lights out the last half of the season.

Whatever happened to Kolby Smith?

He got hurt mid season and went on IR.

The Chiefs should either trade down or draft Malcolm Jenkins.

I don't see the Chiefs drafting a CB round one Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr played very well and should only get better with a better pass rush.

Why would anyone in KC-land want to waste a pick on another QB gamble?

They just didn't win this year and TT took alot of the blame which I think is unfair he should be their QB.

GO_Chiefs
01-07-2009, 12:38 PM
If you don't have a franchise quarterback, you don't pass one up. TT isn't one.

Splat
01-07-2009, 12:42 PM
If you don't have a franchise quarterback, you don't pass one up. TT isn't one.

Neither is Sam Bradford.

vidae
01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Neither is Sam Bradford.

Agreed. Tyler may not be a franchise QB but we have bigger needs than QB. And like it was mentioned, we do not need a corner. We have Carr and Flowers who played extremely well and Leggett who came in as a nickel/starter duties and did a great job for us. Our needs, quite clearly, are these:

1. DE
2. LB
3. OL
4. QB
5. WR

In that order. Our pass rush and defense in general were really bad. Hopefully we don't keep Gunther around so that can be fixed.

Babylon
01-07-2009, 02:20 PM
As a Rams fan, I'd be pretty upset if Stafford is still available at #3.

I like the way you worded that.

Menardo75
01-07-2009, 03:00 PM
I would say that pick needs to be either Orkapo, or Curry.

RaiderNation
01-07-2009, 03:05 PM
It depends if they still think Thigpen is the QB. If they dont they have to go QB. Stafford,Sanchez or Bradford would work if they declare. Also DE or LB would fill big needs on D.

asmitty45
01-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Curry is probably the best bet assuming stafford is gone, if Beanie comes out i think he'd be the best pick because LJ has no future in KC and Wells is by far the best guy in this years class.

Splat
01-07-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't know much about Curry can he play MLB?

If not I don't want him our two biggest needs are DE then MLB.