PDA

View Full Version : Stafford and Moreno to announce decision today.

Geason Noceur
01-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Georgia will hold a press conference (http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/010709/foo_374640263.shtml) where they'll announce their decision. According to a writer on the UGA Rivals site, both will declare for the draft. I don't know if it's true, but we'll find out in a few hours. If it is, I can say that I'm surprised. You could see it coming a mile away.

AtariBigby
01-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Hopefully they cash in their chips now while their pot is big.
Don't risk a Michael Bush or Matt Leinart type situation.

Leinart and Bush both have regretted their decisions to stay in party school for their additional years. Big time. Leinart got stuck in a bizarre situation with the veteran QB and he fathered a child with an ex-GF at USC for his time, and Bush had his leg snapped and went from a franchise RB, 1st rounder, to an afterthought, 4th/5th round flier. And in a painful way.

illmatic74
01-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Leinart and Bush both have regretted their decisions to stay in party school for their additional years. Big time. Leinart got stuck in a bizarre situation with the veteran QB and he fathered a child with an ex-GF at USC for his time, and Bush had his leg snapped and went from a franchise RB, 1st rounder, to an afterthought, 4th/5th round flier. And in a painful way.Don't worry their gone.

russie
01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
GEORGIA LOSING MORENO, STAFFORD
Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2009, 11:39 a.m. EST
During an appearance last week on The Dan Patrick Show (yes, I’m as big of a name-dropping douche at CFT as I am at my primary online residence), I pointed out that, regardless of Commissioner Roger Goodell’s effort to stop the flow of underclassmen into the 2009 NFL draft by pointing out that the rookie pay structure won’t change in 2010, guys will still come out in droves this year.

Why? Because the people pushing them to make the jump won’t be e-mailing to them a link to Goodell’s comments.

Though it’s unclear whether Georgia running back Knowshon Moreno or Georgia quarterback Matt Stafford are aware that the potential windfall will still be there next year at this time, they’re not planning to see if the cash cow will still be spraying Yoo-hoo (and money) in 2010.

Per Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com, they’re both entering the NFL draft.

Stafford could be the first pick in the draft. And despite the prospects of playing for the Lions, Stafford is still coming out.

The NFL limits draft eligibility to players who are three years removed from the graduation of their high school classes.

Don Vito
01-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Not really a shocker, I thought Moreno might stay but Stafford was as good as gone. UGA has a lot of depth but no team can afford to lose guys like Moreno and Stafford.

Zyro_1014
01-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Not really a shocker, I thought Moreno might stay but Stafford was as good as gone. UGA has a lot of depth but no team can afford to lose guys like Moreno and Stafford.

they actually said that the decision was harder for Stafford.

CashmoneyDrew
01-07-2009, 01:20 PM

I wouldn't want to go to Detroit either.

SenorGato
01-07-2009, 01:50 PM

As it should be.

There was no real reason for Moreno to stay. There was tons of reason for Stafford to stay, just based on the positions they play.

Menardo75
01-07-2009, 03:02 PM
I think this is the right move for both of them. I didn't think Moreno would I haven't seen to many sophmores go pro at RB.

asmitty45
01-07-2009, 03:12 PM

Haha i don't think there's a lot of people itching to come to the Motor City

Babylon
01-07-2009, 03:19 PM

Stafford has had some history with the Mannings, i wonder if his agent would try to pull an Eli and try to get him somewhere else. I think he'd be perfect with a Tampa or a Dallas (yeah that's right).

Race for the Heisman
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Stafford has had some history with the Mannings, i wonder if his agent would try to pull an Eli and try to get him somewhere else. I think he'd be perfect with a Tampa or a Dallas (yeah that's right).

Seattle... They're almost in the exact same spot the Chargers were.

Sniper
01-07-2009, 04:23 PM

Leinart and Bush both have regretted their decisions to stay in party school for their additional years. Big time. Leinart got stuck in a bizarre situation with the veteran QB and he fathered a child with an ex-GF at USC for his time, and Bush had his leg snapped and went from a franchise RB, 1st rounder, to an afterthought, 4th/5th round flier. And in a painful way.

Do you know for a fact that they regretted the decision? Because I've never, ever, ever heard a player say "I regret sticking around for my senior year".

keylime_5
01-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I think this is the right move for both of them. I didn't think Moreno would I haven't seen to many sophmores go pro at RB.

then again I haven't seen anyone ever redshirt a back as good as Moreno unless injuries are involved.

Menardo75
01-07-2009, 04:32 PM
then again I haven't seen anyone ever redshirt a back as good as Moreno unless injuries are involved.

This is true sir.

Babylon
01-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Seattle... They're almost in the exact same spot the Chargers were.

Don't get my hopes up. I'm not sure Seattle is capable of that sort of thinking, they still think around here that this year was an aberation and everything will be back to normal next year.

Tampa would be a good fit, they have a real good team and a strong armed QB could be what they need in the future.

Dallas is a natural pick for a kid that played for Highland park in the Dallas area. How's this for alums?, Doak Walker, Bobby Layne and Matt Stafford. The Boys not having a #1 pick makes it pretty tough to move up though.

Sniper
01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Don't get my hopes up. I'm not sure Seattle is capable of that sort of thinking, they still think around here that this year was an aberation and everything will be back to normal next year.

Tampa would be a good fit, they have a real good team and a strong armed QB could be what they need in the future.

Dallas is a natural pick for a kid that played for Highland park in the Dallas area. How's this for alums?, Doak Walker, Bobby Layne and Matt Stafford. The Boys not having a #1 pick makes it pretty tough to move up though.

You think Dallas would even try to move up with so much money tied up at the QB spot?

MetSox17
01-07-2009, 04:43 PM
You think Dallas would even try to move up with so much money tied up at the QB spot?

The Detroit Lions will win a game, before the Cowboys trade up to get Matt Stafford.

Babylon
01-07-2009, 04:44 PM

I admit sometimes what goes through my peabrain is not what others think but just a thought. I know Stafford has talked to Aikman down there in the Dallas area and i'm sure Jerry has probably fantasized over the next Troy Aikman era. I don't know how Dallas could swing such a deal though. They'd have to really mortgage the future with picks and players.

Number 10
01-07-2009, 04:44 PM
I have no gauge on where Moreno will go.

I used to think he would be selected in the 15-25 range because he lacks the elite speed and is the kind of back I see spending a lot of time banged up with his aggressive style and lack of a build to back it up in the NFL. But as the season progressed....I think he now has a shot to be the first back taken, top 10 area. If Jacobs is shown the door in FA, he is one of the few skill position players I would want the Giants to trade up for.

summond822
01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
No surprise about this. Running backs only have so many hits they can take before their body breaks down. Moreno coming out was a no brainer. Also, he has the advantage of only taking two years of shots in the SEC, making him that much more attractive.

Stafford, I wouldn't have been surprised either way. If he had stayed in school, like the Mannings (which is actually what they advised him to do I believe), I believe that he would have improved a lot and been that much closer to being a complete pro prospect. On the other hand, perhaps he wasn't comfortable with the added pressure that going back to school would put on him, and there is always the chance that he just can't risk such a huge paycheck on going back for his senior year.

Also, for some reason, senior quartebacks generally do not live up to the lofty expectations put upon them. Look at Brady Quinn.

LonghornsLegend
01-07-2009, 06:07 PM
I admit sometimes what goes through my peabrain is not what others think but just a thought. I know Stafford has talked to Aikman down there in the Dallas area and i'm sure Jerry has probably fantasized over the next Troy Aikman era. I don't know how Dallas could swing such a deal though. They'd have to really mortgage the future with picks and players.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to float around if we still had a 1st, or had we not just given Romo a huge contract...We are probably better off waiting until the 3rd or so and taking Bomar, we don't have the ammo to get anywhere close to high enough to take Stafford.

I think Stafford in Detroit is a good fit, he has Calvin Johnson and he is a lock to score over 10 TD's, Stafford probably makes that a nice connection, a good RB, if they can address their line properly he's a great pick.

I'd just put all my FA money and picks into the O-line, hopefully Culpepper can play for a year, then next season focus on the defense...Can't fix it all in one draft, but it would be nice to make sure their franchise got some protection before getting thrown into the fire.

Halsey
01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
I just got good information that Stafford has already hurt his stock for the upcoming draft.

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics10/400/HB/HBBUUZLAZTETZDY.20090107211519.jpg

Showing up at a press conference with hair looking like that shows a lack of intelligence, character and brings his vision into question. Knowshon's stock may be hurt too for not telling him how bad his hair looked before the presser.

Zyro_1014
01-07-2009, 07:39 PM

didnt the cowboys just give Romo a fatty contract???? i think so, but i have no idea why.

Tampa could be a possibility, they need a franchise QB and Gruden could do wonders with him.

Zyro_1014
01-07-2009, 07:39 PM
I just got good information that Stafford has already hurt his stock for the upcoming draft.

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics10/400/HB/HBBUUZLAZTETZDY.20090107211519.jpg

Showing up at a press conference with hair looking like that shows a lack of intelligence, character and brings his vision into question. Knowshon's stock may be hurt too for not telling him how bad his hair looked before the presser.

HILARIOUS!...

not really.

themaninblack
01-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Can't say I'm all that surprised but as a UGA fan I am really sad to see them go. I really thought they'd bring us a championship at some point. That said, they made the right choice for themselves and I hope they have great careers. They are both special players.

Babylon
01-07-2009, 11:27 PM

He looks like he comes from money, get rid of him.

Staubach12
01-07-2009, 11:33 PM
I can't say I'm surprised at this point, I don't think anyone is. However, I'm a fan of QBs staying for their senior years to maximize experience, etc. I'm not saying Stafford will fail, I'm a big fan. On the subject of Moreno, he's my #1 RB at the moment.

ElectricEye
01-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Stafford has a thing for emo haircuts.
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/MATTSTAFFORD150_3.JPG

Shorter hair recently though.

Probably a good decision for both of them. Stafford could use a bit more time, but Moreno was ready last year.