PDA

View Full Version : Darrius Heyward-Bey turns pro

Habibi
01-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Would've liked to see him come back, though. The kid has tremendous potential.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=3816764

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Id get outta there as soon as I could too.

2 Live Crew
01-07-2009, 03:44 PM
That was expected. He has no reason to come back

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-07-2009, 03:44 PM
he can come to baltimore

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
There's a thread for declarees already. Not a big deal, just saying.

It was inevitiable that he would declare. Hard to believe but I feel his numbers, which are already causing concer, would be even worse next year. The Maryland QBs aren't getting any better at throwing the deep ball and their young WRs are quickly becoming more polished and utilized

no love
01-07-2009, 11:43 PM
With the way WR's have been dropping in recent drafts, I can definitely see Heyward-Bey dropping to the late first/early second round. His potential is undeniable, but many WR's are dropping bc of how raw they are.

ElectricEye
01-07-2009, 11:47 PM
With the way WR's have been dropping in recent drafts, I can definitely see Heyward-Bey dropping to the late first/early second round. His potential is undeniable, but many WR's are dropping bc of how raw they are.

Yeah...he's a lot more talented than a Chad Jackson type though. He has other things going for him besides speed. He's natural on the deep ball. That involves more than just running past people. He'll need to familiarize himself with everything else, but he certainly won't be doing that at Maryland. They just don't use him there, for whatever reason.

He'll probably end up going in that range, but he deserves to go a bit higher. Could make an impact right away on the deep ball and could end up being the best wide receiver in the class. Has a lot more work to do than Maclin and Crabtree though.

Staubach12
01-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Not surprised. Good decision by him. He's going to be a very good pro WR.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Not the biggest fan of Heyward-Bey, but the physical potential is there in spades.

ElectricEye
01-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Not the biggest fan of Heyward-Bey, but the physical potential is there in spades.

I think both Crabtree and Maclin are going to end up being better receivers than him. He's doing himself a favor getting out of the situation he's in though. No use not getting better at the college level when he can come in and get coached up in the NFL.

hagy34
01-08-2009, 12:05 AM
This may be way off but does his situation remind you a little of Troy Williamson? Maybe just because I'm a Viking fan. But think about it. Both guys had the physical tools, although Heyward is bigger. Both came from a situation where they weren't able to prove much based on the offense. Both carried more hype than anything coming into the draft. These kind of guys just worry me for 1st round picks. Matt Jones is another that comes to mind. I'd rather see guys produce than just have "potential".

Of course, I could be way off here.

nyqua
01-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I have him as being a bust. Lots of potential is nice.....but it's just that, potential.

toonsterwu
01-08-2009, 02:18 AM
I think DHB probably starts out in that late first-mid 2nd range, but I could see him finish in the top 20 depending on workouts and interviews. He's more polished than, say, a Chad Jackson or Devin Thomas were at similar points.

Larry121283
01-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Ceiling of Bernard Berrian, floor of Troy Williamson with two working eyes.

I gotta imagine opinions on this kid are going to be all over the map.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-08-2009, 08:22 AM

I think his ceilling if he reaches his potential is far beyond Bernard Berrian. DHB is bigger, taller, faster, and has potential to be more than just a vertical threat. Also DHB is already a terrific blocking WR. If he reaches his potential, key word "if", he has the tools to be an All pro.

2 Live Crew
01-08-2009, 08:58 AM

Yea right, ceiling is far beyond that. His ceiling is perennial All-Pro...TO without the attitude.

I'm not saying he'll reach that but he has all the tools.

I'll take DHB over Crabtree and Maclin.

derza222
01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah DHB's potential is absolutely out of this world. His size/speed/hands combo is silly. Not sure if I'd compare him to TO as far as playing style but he's incredibly talented, I would be happy to see him on the Jets. Just seems like based on his situation and skill set he's got a very, very good chance be a considerably better pro (statistically at least) than he was a college player.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Yeah his stats are obviously not mind boggling but for perspective on how tough it is to produce at WR at Maryland, in his short years are Maryland with all of the QB struggles and such he ranks having left school early top 2 in yards and receptions.