PDA

View Full Version : QBs For 2010

JLaw45
01-07-2009, 05:31 PM
I was reading the Bradford thread and heard some interesting speculation about Sanchez likely staying now because with Bradford gone he'll be the undisputed best next year. I was wondering who the potential top QBs will be next year now that we know Freeman, Bradford, and Stafford are leaving? And if Sanchez does still decide to leave, who will occupy the top spots then?

CashmoneyDrew
01-07-2009, 05:35 PM
- Sanchez
- Jevan Snead
- Maybe Colt McCoy

Don Vito
01-07-2009, 05:37 PM
My boy Jevan Snead out of Ole Miss will be a redshirt junior. He doesn't have ideal height at about 6-3; but he is strong, very athletic, has a cannon, and is a great leader. He needs to work on his accuracy, he lets passes sail high sometimes, but he has all of the tools to be a great QB. He came on very strong as the season progressed for Ole Miss. He is going to be up there as a top prospect, I just don't want to think about him leaving.

Halsey
01-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Sanchez is guaranteed to be the undisputed top QB in 2010 the same way Brian Brohm was guaranteed to be the undisputed top QB in 2008 after he chose to return for his senior year. Sanchez could just as easily hurt his stock as raise it by returning.

Babylon
01-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Sanchez is guaranteed to be the undisputed top QB in 2010 the same way Brian Brohm was guaranteed to be the undisputed top QB in 2008 after he chose to return for his senior year. Sanchez could just as easily hurt his stock as raise it by returning.

No doubt, the only differance between this year and next is he'll be 23 year old QB coming off a great Rosebowl (most likely) as opposed to a 22 year old coming off a great Rosebowl. I dont discount losing Sark there as being a factor either.

princefielder28
01-07-2009, 05:47 PM
1. Mark Sanchez
2. Colt McCoy
3. Tim Tebow
4. Rusty Smith
5. Dan LeFevour/Nate Davis

CashmoneyDrew
01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
I guess maybe if Jimmy Clausen continues progressing next season he might have the opportunity to leave early.

SenorGato
01-07-2009, 06:22 PM
Clausen is a good prospect, but I guess he won't come out?

I like Sanchez, Snead, and McCoy quite a bit...but the only one I'd say is a first rounder *right now* is Sanchez.

I do think Snead can have a Jay Cutler-esque rise though...he's got the tools for it and you could see his progression as the season went on. He's got a friggin cannon on him, and just in general I love his mechanics.

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
1. Mark Sanchez
2. Colt McCoy
3. Tim Tebow
4. Rusty Smith
5. Dan LeFevour/Nate Davis

I like Rusty Smith a lot. He looks a lot like Sam Bradford out on the field in my opinion but with his motion I say he's more of a Phillip Rivers clone

Malaka
01-07-2009, 06:57 PM

Except for the fact.... Brohm had his offense changed, Louisville has nowhere near the talent USC has, the Pac-10 is pretty weak so is the Big East but once again USC >>>>>>>>>> Louisville, and also along with pretty good intangibles, pretty good accuracy, he also happens to actually have a very good arm unlike Brohm who I always thought would be like a Pennington 2.0 which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think there is no way Sanchez can hurt his stock as bad as Brohm did, Sanchez will be the first QB off the board in 2010.

EDIT: Oh, and I am liking Snead to rise high next year, he has got all the tools, he will be the second QB taken if he has a strong year, IMO a top 20 pick.

Babylon
01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Supposedly Mays and Sanchez want to announce together, read into that what you will.

Malaka
01-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Supposedly Mays and Sanchez want to announce together, read into that what you will.

It could mean either Mays and Sanchez will come out next year, or they both come out this year.

Well, if Sanchez does declare, he's ahead of Bradford IMO, I like Stafford the least but I think in the draft they will be drafted 1. Stafford 2. Sanchez 3. Bradford (obviously not pick 1 pick pick 3). Stafford will be a top 5, Sanchez top 10 and Bradford top 20.

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 07:10 PM
How crazy will it be to see 4 underclassmen QBs go before the first Senior QB.

Xiomera
01-07-2009, 07:12 PM
I was thinking about this today and couldn't come up with an obvious candidate to be a sure first round pick assuming Sanchez declares.

I think this makes it even more imperative that the Lions take a QB now and not later.

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 07:14 PM
We're looking at back to back weak senior QB crops if Bradford and Sanchez declare. Soon it will be like the NBA where being a senior actually hurts your draft stock

Halsey
01-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Except for the fact....
Except for the fact excuses excuses excuses.

Sanchez could see his stock drop for a number of reasons. It's not even debateable. Am I saying it WILL happen? No, but it easily could.

Xiomera
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
We're looking at back to back weak senior QB crops if Bradford and Sanchez declare. Soon it will be like the NBA where being a senior actually hurts your draft stock

Maybe just for QB's. I don't think many other positions have that same problem.

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Maybe just for QB's. I don't think many other positions have that same problem.

WR and OT look like they might in the future

Texas Homer
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Colt McCoy.

Xiomera
01-07-2009, 07:22 PM
WR and OT look like they might in the future

Some schools have a really good track record of keeping players in school. Until RichRod got to Michigan, there were only two players I remember ever leaving U-M early. Alan Branch and Ernest Shazor (that worked out well, haha).

Malaka
01-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Sanchez could see his stock drop for a number of reasons. It's not even debateable. Am I saying it WILL happen? No, but it easily could.

You make it sound like I am a USC fan... no... I like Sanchez a lot as a prospect and just seriously doubt his stock will drop much, because next years QB class is pretty barren.

Zyro_1014
01-07-2009, 07:34 PM

there both stayin...:D

jk, i think that Mays is as good as gone. Sanchez will possibly stay.

Interested to see what happens.

Babylon
01-07-2009, 08:28 PM
there both stayin...:D

jk, i think that Mays is as good as gone. Sanchez will possibly stay.

Interested to see what happens.

Off topic but did you see Barkely in the Underarmour game? He looked super.

Xiomera
01-07-2009, 08:33 PM

Mitch Mustain says 'Hi.'

Babylon
01-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Mitch Mustain says 'Hi.'

No offense but Mustain isnt in Barkely's class as a prospect. Barkely is almost in the Stafford class as far as arms go. Almost.

JLaw45
01-07-2009, 09:03 PM

It could drop, but I agree with malaka that a Brohm-like drop is unlikely. Worst case scenario is a leinart-type drop and I think thats also somewhat unlikely barring some earthshaking scenario.

Zyro_1014
01-07-2009, 09:05 PM

yes sir i did. He looked amazing, and i cannot wait to see him in a USC uniform.

Mitch Mustain says 'Hi.'

Honestly, i think Sanchez may stay this next year and Barkley will red shirt. I would not be surprised one bit if Barkley comes in and starts as a RS Freshman.

Buttered toast sonic
01-07-2009, 09:25 PM
I personally LOVE Zac Robinson as a prospect, average size, good arm, mobile, a leader

SuperKevin
01-07-2009, 09:29 PM
I saw Matt Barkley play in person. Definately doesn't look like a high schooler. Lot of good QBs in SoCal this year

Matt Barkley
Tate Forcier
Jordan Wynn

illmatic74
01-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Mitch Mustain says 'Hi.'Mitch Mustain is the next Matt CAssel

BRAVEHEART
01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
yes sir i did. He looked amazing, and i cannot wait to see him in a USC uniform.

Honestly, i think Sanchez may stay this next year and Barkley will red shirt. I would not be surprised one bit if Barkley comes in and starts as a RS Freshman.

Over mustain and corp? No, even if he was that good pete wouldn't let that happen to both of those qb's (look at booty, you know damn well mark should've got the job back then). I think all of them will get a year each.

illmatic74
01-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Over mustain and corp? No, even if he was that good pete wouldn't let that happen to both of those qb's (look at booty, you know damn well mark should've got the job back then). I think all of them will get a year each.Mustain might get a chance but Cory is the Rocky Hinds of the group.

Xiomera
01-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Mitch Mustain is the next Matt CAssel

Except that he actually started a whole season at Arkansas.

Sniper
01-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Some schools have a really good track record of keeping players in school. Until RichRod got to Michigan, there were only two players I remember ever leaving U-M early. Alan Branch and Ernest Shazor (that worked out well, haha).

1. Rodriguez has kept it that way. No junior declared this year.
2. You must not remember this man...

http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1998/nov/11-20-98/photos/osuwoodsontdmvm.gif

Xiomera
01-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Woodson declared early? Eh, I didn't think he did. Oh well, special circumstances when a player wins the Heisman and a Rose Bowl.

Larry121283
01-08-2009, 08:22 AM
Over mustain and corp? No, even if he was that good pete wouldn't let that happen to both of those qb's (look at booty, you know damn well mark should've got the job back then). I think all of them will get a year each.

IMO...

Sanchez comes back, plays 2009. Graduates.
Mustain gets a year, plays 2010. Graduates.
Aaron Corp gets a year playing "half" in 2011. Barkley starts to take the job toward the end of the year as a RSSophy.
Barkley gets two years unless he declares early as a RSJr in 2012.

I know...I know...waaaaaay off...its just how I'd see something like that shaking out over the course of the next few years.

Definitely not a bad problem to have for USC. They'll all get their time, I assume.

Brent
01-08-2009, 12:10 PM
IMO...

Aaron Corp gets a year playing "half" in 2011. Barkley starts to take the job toward the end of the year as a RSSophy.

I know...I know...waaaaaay off...its just how I'd see something like that shaking out over the course of the next few years.

Definitely not a bad problem to have for USC. They'll all get their time, I assume.
I agreed with this up to the Corp part. I dont think he's going to start.

Larry121283
01-08-2009, 12:17 PM
I figure Aaron Corp being the senior and paying his dues, coupled with the fact that Matt Barkley will only be a "RSSophy" at that point would lead more to a dual QB system...working in Barkley as opposed to just throwing him into the mix.

As mentioned earlier, Pete does like to reward seniority and paying your dues...I think Corp at some point (barring a transfer) would be rewarded in some way.

illmatic74
01-08-2009, 12:25 PM
I figure Aaron Corp being the senior and paying his dues, coupled with the fact that Matt Barkley will only be a "RSSophy" at that point would lead more to a dual QB system...working in Barkley as opposed to just throwing him into the mix.

As mentioned earlier, Pete does like to reward seniority and paying your dues...I think Corp at some point (barring a transfer) would be rewarded in some way.In college football experience at the QB position is crucial so you can't have 4 years in a row a different Quarterback. If you do that you won't sign another Barkley type QB. Also Carrol likes to put the best players on the field regardless seniority(SEE Lau, Mauluaga)so he might put Barkley ahead of him just because he is better.

Halsey
01-08-2009, 03:20 PM
1. Rodriguez has kept it that way. No junior declared this year.
2. You must not remember this man...

http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1998/nov/11-20-98/photos/osuwoodsontdmvm.gif

Wow, you're really reaching for a reason to hate on a guy when you blame him for underclassman leaving...when no underclassman have left in the 1 year he's been there...

This goes to show that even reasonable people can be unreasonable when their favorite team has a bad season.

Babylon
01-08-2009, 04:54 PM
IMO...

Stafford took about 4 or 5 games his freshman year to be the starter at Georgia (although he did enroll early) and i wouldnt expect Barkely would wait too much longer than that. He most likely wont be there longer than 3 years nevermind be sitting for 3 years. I will say that Sanchez waited 3 years to get his chance but i dont see anyone there that would cause Barkely to sit.

JLaw45
01-08-2009, 06:20 PM
IMO...

I gotta feel for guys at USC like Manoogian and McCafrey(the "other" QBs). With Barkley coming in and all these guys ahead of them they don't even seem to stand a chance.