PDA

View Full Version : Running backs in the draft

Sloopy
01-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Sorry to those who saw this post in the college football forum, I was informed that a put it in the wrong forum so im re-posting it here in the right section:So I know its early to be ranking players seeing as some players have yet to announce their intentions but seeing as players such as Chris "Beanie" Wells and Knowshon Moreno have declared I figure its safe to start ranking running backs. My list goes as follows:
1. Shon Green
Power back with decent speed, hard to tackle and bounces of defenders like a pinball machine, almost always falls forward, power motor and fights for every inch possible on any given game, also a fairly good blocker, didn't play overly strong competition and didnt really emerge until his senior year but what a senior year he had. Call me a homer for this one but I believe that he has proved his worth especially as he did all this without a top-notch O-line.
2. Beanie Wells
Big back who is hard to bring down, (hear me out on this one) similar playing style to AP in the sense that he chips away at the defense with a few short gains before hitting you with a big gain, once he gets to the second level and gains momentum is almost impossible to stop, probably the first back taken but lacks versatility in the passing game and blocking schemes, also some nagging injuries over the years may deter teams as he is a power back.
3. Knowshon Moreno
probably the smartest back in the group, good vision, a blend of fairly good size and speed (5' 11" 207 lbs with reported 40s in the 4.4 range), versatile in the passing game, not a great bowl game will drop his stock (23 carries 62 yards 2.7 ypc) and the fact that he is so young may drop his stock although the fact that he hasnt had as manny carries may end up being a positive as far as his longevity in the league goes.
Lets see how other NFLDC users feel post your top 3. This is my first post so give me some feed back

Bengals78
01-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Green is a 2nd round pick.

1. Knowshon Moreno - Explosive big play guy. Excellent game speed

2. Beanine Wells - Grinder who can break the big one. Although he has been nicked up this year.

3. Shady McCoy - Very explosive but also very raw.

Green is my #4 right now.

Sloopy
01-08-2009, 07:42 PM
I agree that he will go in the second round i am merely stating that I believe he is the best back in the draft, the fact that he only really came out in his senior year will hurt him and his lack of tough competition will indeed drop him to the second round.

hagy34
01-08-2009, 07:51 PM
No way is Green the head of this class....

nyqua
01-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Wells - Power dude, just gotta hope he doesn't get too dinged up.
Moreno - Good vision, not as fast as I would like. But he is productive.
Brown - Saw him once against Hofstra(Yeah I know), but he looked really good.

wingboy2999
01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Where does everyone see McCoy going?

Bengals78
01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Personally, I think late first early second. There isn't a huge need for RB right now.

hagy34
01-08-2009, 08:17 PM
How good would one of these guys be in San Diego once LT calls it quits....

savedbygrace89
01-08-2009, 08:21 PM
I am a long time Steelers fan for almost 30 years and I cant remember the last time the Steelers didnt have a great blocking FB in their lineup until the last couple years under Tomlin. I loved FB Dan Kreider and he was the ultimate blocker in my opinion. I just think the Steelers need to get back to that big time blocker in front of fast Willie Parker or who ever our starter is.

Can anyone fill me in on some good blocking FB's? Any of you Steelers fans... What would you think of the Steelers taking Beanie Wells from Ohio State if they have the chance. He would be a nice fit at our Power Back Position that we dont have right now...

Sloopy
01-08-2009, 08:31 PM
No way is Green the head of this class....

I believe he had 307 carries 1850 yards 6.0 yards per carry as apposed to Moreno's 250 carries 1400 yards and 5.6 ypc and Wells' 207 carries 1197 yards and 5.8 ypc all behind a weaker O-line than each of these backs and oh yea he won the Doak Walker Award so I'd say he is in the conversation

illmatic74
01-08-2009, 08:33 PM
I believe he had 307 carries 1850 yards 6.0 yards per carry as apposed to Moreno's 250 carries 1400 yards and 5.6 ypc and Wells' 207 carries 1197 yards and 5.8 ypc all behind a weaker O-line than each of these backs and oh yea he won the Doak Walker Award so I'd say he is in the conversationBecause he ran the ball more doesn't make him as good also Brown is better than Greene.

hagy34
01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
I believe he had 307 carries 1850 yards 6.0 yards per carry as apposed to Moreno's 250 carries 1400 yards and 5.6 ypc and Wells' 207 carries 1197 yards and 5.8 ypc all behind a weaker O-line than each of these backs and oh yea he won the Doak Walker Award so I'd say he is in the conversation

College stats aren't the only thing you consider when ranking NFL prospects. Why don't you ask one of the 32 NFL teams and let me know who has Greene at the head of this class....get back to me.

wingboy2999
01-08-2009, 08:35 PM
I am a long time Steelers fan for almost 30 years and I cant remember the last time the Steelers didnt have a great blocking FB in their lineup until the last couple years under Tomlin. I loved FB Dan Kreider and he was the ultimate blocker in my opinion. I just think the Steelers need to get back to that big time blocker in front of fast Willie Parker or who ever our starter is.

Can anyone fill me in on some good blocking FB's? Any of you Steelers fans... What would you think of the Steelers taking Beanie Wells from Ohio State if they have the chance. He would be a nice fit at our Power Back Position that we dont have right now...

Conredge Collins.

Sloopy
01-08-2009, 08:43 PM
College stats aren't the only thing you consider when ranking NFL prospects. Why don't you ask one of the 32 NFL teams and let me know who has Greene at the head of this class....get back to me.

I understand that and that is why i listed other reasons in my original post plus he did all of this with again a less than average line imagine what he could do with a good line and you are right there are no guarantees when it comes to the transition between college and the pros but alot of teams are looking at him as a possible steal in the 2nd round and as you know the first player in a position drafted isnt always the best player in the pro's I personally think he will accel in the pro's and as to the comment about just because he has more carries... yes he has more carries but he has more yards per carry which shoes he's getting more yards and therefor if he had the same number of carries he would in theory still be ahead of those back and (again) doing this behind a weaker O-line than those two backs

captainjack27
01-08-2009, 08:44 PM

First of all, there is absolutely no way Wells falls to us. Also, we just drafted Mendenhall, who is about 230 and can run with power. Not to mention Gary Russell is a decent power back. Taking Beanie Wells would be stupid, no offense. Offensive Line is the #1 priority, hands down.

hagy34
01-08-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm talking about where these guys are going to be drafted. A lot of actual NFL production for these guys will rely on the situation. All I'm saying is he's not the head of this class. Could he eventually be the most productive? Sure. He's just not at the top of the rankings in my mind. Moreno should be the best back in this draft. JMO.

captainjack27
01-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Sorry to those who saw this post in the college football forum, I was informed that a put it in the wrong forum so im re-posting it here in the right section:So I know its early to be ranking players seeing as some players have yet to announce their intentions but seeing as players such as Chris "Beanie" Wells and Knowshon Moreno have declared I figure its safe to start ranking running backs. My list goes as follows:
1. Shon Green
Power back with decent speed, hard to tackle and bounces of defenders like a pinball machine, almost always falls forward, power motor and fights for every inch possible on any given game, also a fairly good blocker, didn't play overly strong competition and didnt really emerge until his senior year but what a senior year he had. Call me a homer for this one but I believe that he has proved his worth especially as he did all this without a top-notch O-line.
2. Beanie Wells
Big back who is hard to bring down, (hear me out on this one) similar playing style to AP in the sense that he chips away at the defense with a few short gains before hitting you with a big gain, once he gets to the second level and gains momentum is almost impossible to stop, probably the first back taken but lacks versatility in the passing game and blocking schemes, also some nagging injuries over the years may deter teams as he is a power back.
3. Knowshon Moreno
probably the smartest back in the group, good vision, a blend of fairly good size and speed (5' 11" 207 lbs with reported 40s in the 4.4 range), versatile in the passing game, not a great bowl game will drop his stock (23 carries 62 yards 2.7 ypc) and the fact that he is so young may drop his stock although the fact that he hasnt had as manny carries may end up being a positive as far as his longevity in the league goes.
Lets see how other NFLDC users feel post your top 3. This is my first post so give me some feed back

Shonn Greene shouldn't go any higher than the third. Yea he had good stats, but he will not be that good in the NFL. He's got decent speed and good power. But he is awful at receiving and is not good at blocking. He is too one-dimensional. My rankings go

LeShaun McCoy
Beanie Wells
Knowshon Moreno

ToldLikeItIs
01-08-2009, 08:51 PM
He is a very good blocker, and a poor receiver.

Greene = Balance, Size, Heart, Leverage, Vision.

Bold prediction for Greene's combine:

5'11 230
30 reps 225 lbs.

Sloopy
01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Shonn Greene shouldn't go any higher than the third. Yea he had good stats, but he will not be that good in the NFL. He's got decent speed and good power. But he is awful at receiving and is not good at blocking. He is too one-dimensional. My rankings go

LeShaun McCoy
Beanie Wells
Knowshon Moreno

I don't see why you say he is a bad blocker, in the games i saw him in he seemed to do a pretty good job, no he isn't great in the passing game but he isn't any worse than Wells and Wells isn't that great a blocker. He has good stats behind a poor line and was voted the best running-back in the nation he had a good showing in his bowl game and is projected as high as the 2nd round he hits the whole with power and though he doesn't have great speed, once he gets to the second level if he can knock over a DB or two he has enough speed to get away for a big gain if not the homerun. I don't see shy people are doubting him as a viable pro prospect, i respect that you may not share my opinion that he is top of the class but why do you say he wont make it in the pros

the decider13
01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
I want one of them to fall to denver in the second...that would be great. Shonn Greene might be a reach at that point though. If shady is at Denvers second pick, I would want them to pick him.

captainjack27
01-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I don't see why you say he is a bad blocker, in the games i saw him in he seemed to do a pretty good job, no he isn't great in the passing game but he isn't any worse than Wells and Wells isn't that great a blocker. He has good stats behind a poor line and was voted the best running-back in the nation he had a good showing in his bowl game and is projected as high as the 2nd round he hits the whole with power and though he doesn't have great speed, once he gets to the second level if he can knock over a DB or two he has enough speed to get away for a big gain if not the homerun. I don't see shy people are doubting him as a viable pro prospect, i respect that you may not share my opinion that he is top of the class but why do you say he wont make it in the pros

He is not that great of a blocker, perhaps I could have said decent, but for greene to go higher, I think he would need to excel at it. The biggest killer for me is that he would be a non factor in the receiving game, which is utilized more and more by teams. I think his forty will fall in the high 4.5's, maybe a 4.6. I think he can be an OK back, but certainly not a feature back. It will come down to his 40 time I think to see whether he's a 2nd round guy or a late 3rd early 4th.

captainjack27
01-08-2009, 09:00 PM
I want one of them to fall to denver in the second...that would be great. Shonn Greene might be a reach at that point though. If shady is at Denvers second pick, I would want them to pick him.

Shady shouldn't make it out of the top 20, if he fell to your second it would be a miracle.

iowatreat54
01-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Greene is an average blocker at best.

Sloopy
01-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I don't think he is that great of a blocker, perhaps I should have said decent, but for greene to go higher, I think he would need to excel at it. The biggest killer for me is that he would be a non factor in the receiving game, which is utilized more and more by teams. I think his forty will fall in the high 4.5's, maybe a 4.6. I think he can be an OK back, but certainly not a feature back. It will come down to his 40 time I think to see whether he's a 2nd round guy or a late 3rd early 4th.

A few years ago I would agree with you but just as the neccesity for a back who can catch has become more prominent in the NFL so is the two back system and Brandon Jacobs isnt exactly a screen back either but you throw a player like Bradshaw in there and you have a solid running game a team like indianapolis could pick him up and pair him up with Addai (this isnt where i think he will go its just an example)

edbob21
01-08-2009, 09:12 PM
He is not that great of a blocker, perhaps I could have said decent, but for greene to go higher, I think he would need to excel at it. The biggest killer for me is that he would be a non factor in the receiving game, which is utilized more and more by teams. I think his forty will fall in the high 4.5's, maybe a 4.6. I think he can be an OK back, but certainly not a feature back. It will come down to his 40 time I think to see whether he's a 2nd round guy or a late 3rd early 4th.

If you watched many Iowa games this year you would know that Greene never got run down from behind in the open field. He is faster than he gets credit for because he is predominantly a power back. He is an all-around runner who is durable and capable of being a feature back, despite the fact that he is not much of a reciever. That being said, I completely agree about his 40. His time at the combine could make him a top 20 pick or a 3rd rounder depending on where it falls. Either way he will be a great component to somebody's running game, probably paired with a speed back in a platoon system.

captainjack27
01-08-2009, 09:14 PM
If you watched many Iowa games this year you would know that Greene never got run down from behind in the open field. He is faster than he gets credit for because he is predominantly a power back. He is an all-around runner who is durable and capable of being a feature back, despite the fact that he is not much of a reciever. That being said, I completely agree about his 40. His time at the combine could make him a top 20 pick or a 3rd rounder depending on where it falls. Either way he will be a great component to somebody's running game, probably paired with a speed back in a platoon system.

To be fair, he will be facing much MUCH faster competition in the pro's than in the slow big ten.

the decider13
01-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Shady shouldn't make it out of the top 20, if he fell to your second it would be a miracle.

Oh I know that would be a big deal...but it isnt as if a highly hyped player has never fallen further than people thought *cough*Brady Quinn*cough*

Or like last year I remember mocks where desean Jackson was a top 15 pick. No wide receivers were even picked in the first round. The draft is so hard to predict, and with the amount of lineman and quality corners out there, you could have someone like McCoy or Knowshon fall further than they should.

ToldLikeItIs
01-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Right, since 1/2 of the LB's and DE's in the NFL right now are from the Big Ten and Greene, being predominantly a 10-12 yard back, will be facing them for the most part.

edbob21
01-08-2009, 09:20 PM
To be fair, he will be facing much MUCH faster competition in the pro's than in the slow big ten.

I won't dispute that point. I still think he recieves a lot of criticism for his speed because he is a back who runs through defenders rather than around them.

Sloopy
01-08-2009, 09:28 PM

Even still, he will still occasionally be able to break one and will still be productive especially in a two back system where he can beat up the defense and let someone else do the catching and toss plays.

keylime_5
01-08-2009, 10:09 PM

How many yards did he get against that "Fast" SEC defense again?
There's nothing like the cheesy stereotypes every conference has.