PDA

View Full Version : Harvin Looks Great in This Game

hagy34
01-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Havin looks awesome in this game. I hope this kid can stay healthy and have a long career in the pros because he sure is fun to watch...

Shane P. Hallam
01-08-2009, 10:28 PM
A Florida WR who is all speed and is fragile. He may be an explosive player, but a MAJOR Boom or Bust player.

hagy34
01-08-2009, 10:34 PM
I think he'll be a guy like Bush in the pros. A lot of short receptions and mix in a few outside runs.

JohnCandy
01-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Whats his value though?

Is he a 1st round pick?

Is he better or Jeremy Maclin who plays in a similar offense.

hagy34
01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
I'd say late 1st. I'd rather have Maclin because he seems to be a more pure WR. But 29-32 seems right to me for Harvin. He's the 4th WR on my board.

Scott Wright
01-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Without the durability concerns Harvin is a Top 10 talent.

Definitely a first rounder though and he'll compete for the #3 spot behind Crabtree and Maclin.

JohnCandy
01-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Without the durability concerns Harvin is a Top 10 talent.

Definitely a first rounder though and he'll compete for the #3 spot behind Crabtree and Maclin.

The question I have is, is he really that far behind them? and can he be a #1 WR or just a Gimmick guy?

As a Raiders fan I am preparing myself for a guy like Harvin or Maclin to run a 4.27 [40] and be Al Davis' pick.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I have been on Harvin's juice for forever all the way back when I was a high school assistant and had to scout Harvin at Landstowne. The kid is so legit. Honestly between him, Mac, Crabs, and DHB I think all 4 are top 15 talent. Also love Nicks, Marko, Britt, Brandon Tate.

GBahDunka
01-08-2009, 10:55 PM
what will he play?

its kind of hard to tell after this game.

Go_Eli
01-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Scott, do you see Harvin like a Wes Welker type?

01-08-2009, 11:00 PM
The question I have is, is he really that far behind them? and can he be a #1 WR or just a Gimmick guy?

As a Raiders fan I am preparing myself for a guy like Harvin or Maclin to run a 4.27 [40] and be Al Davis' pick.

As crazy as that sounds, if Cable is back we will probably look elsewhere besides tackle and if Crabtree is off the board ... no Al, just no ...

Babylon
01-08-2009, 11:00 PM
I just dont see Maclin having the same effect on this game that Harvin had. Would be my #2 receiver.

bearfan
01-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I think he'll be a guy like Bush in the pros. A lot of short receptions and mix in a few outside runs.

I was actually thinking the same thing watching this game. Seems like a jack of all trades, a better player in open space. So Im thinking a poor mans reggie bush, except at the WR position.

01-08-2009, 11:07 PM
I was actually thinking the same thing watching this game. Seems like a jack of all trades, a better player in open space. So Im thinking a poor mans reggie bush, except at the WR position.

I don't know if he'll be a poor man's Reggie, he seems just as explosive. Reggie was slightly overdrafted.

bernbabybern820
01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't know if he'll be a poor man's Reggie, he seems just as explosive. Reggie was slightly overdrafted.

A little slower though i think. Bush would score in the open field 98% of the time in college.

Hawk
01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
What makes him different than Steve Smith, durability issues aside?

01-08-2009, 11:09 PM
A little slower though i think. Bush would score in the open field 98% of the time in college.

His 40 time will be similar, but you're right, I saw instances in tonight's game where Reggie would've probably taken it to the house.

Babylon
01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
They werent even sure Harvin was going to play because of injury.

CashmoneyDrew
01-08-2009, 11:15 PM
I hope all of you were so impressed that his stock rises and you'll all quit giving him to the Titans in your mocks! :)

Rob S
01-08-2009, 11:53 PM
His 40 time will be similar, but you're right, I saw instances in tonight's game where Reggie would've probably taken it to the house.

Harvin was missing his 2nd gear tonight tho.....he would have usually scored too imo. I recall 2 plays where I instinctively said, "He's gone" and then the afterburners just didnt quite kick in. Not arguing that he is on par with Bush in college, bc he isnt, however, if you are basing that evaluation on tonight just remember Percy wasnt at full speed.

Menardo75
01-08-2009, 11:57 PM
U agree that he is a boom or bust. It will be interesting to see what position he settles into and is effective in, in the pros.

01-09-2009, 12:02 AM
U agree that he is a boom or bust. It will be interesting to see what position he settles into and is effective in, in the pros.

Players like Harvin do not bust, imo. There's always creative ways to get them heavily involved in games and it's not like he has Reggie-like expectations following him either.

And Rob, you're right he wasn't at full speed tonight making it all the more impressive. As a pro I really think he compares favorably to someone like Bush and he will be drafted around where he should've been.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 12:04 AM
How about we just have the draft tomorrow! I hate waiting until April...

Scott Wright
01-09-2009, 12:04 AM
There really isn't another player like him...

The best comparison I can think of is Reggie Bush, except whereas Bush was a running back who was also a fantastic receiver Harvin is a receiver who is also a fantastic running back.

He's not a true #1 wideout that you can fit into a neat role, he is just a playmaker.

When he is healthy...

Rob S
01-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Players like Harvin do not bust, imo. There's always creative ways to get them heavily involved in games and it's not like he has Reggie-like expectations following him either.

And Rob, you're right he wasn't at full speed tonight making it all the more impressive. As a pro I really think he compares favorably to someone like Bush and he will be drafted around where he should've been.

The only reason that a WR busts (in most cases) is because the offense doesnt or cant get them the ball. Seriously....all these guys are physical freaks and can get open on a CB, but if the offense fails at delivering the ball, they are a bust. It sucks for them.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 12:06 AM
The only reason that a WR busts (in most cases) is because the offense doesnt or cant get them the ball. Seriously....all these guys are physical freaks and can get open on a CB, but if the offense fails at delivering the ball, they are a bust. It sucks for them.

Or if they cannot catch. Ala Troy Williamson....

Or if they have no work ethic. Ala Mike Williams/Charles Rogers

Menardo75
01-09-2009, 12:07 AM

I have no doubt he will contribute to some team, but he won't be one of those really flashy players that gets a lot of press. I would compare him to a Darren Sproles like contributor in the pros.

Rob S
01-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Or if they cannot catch. Ala Troy Williamson....

Or if they have no work ethic. Ala Mike Williams/Charles Rogers

yeah thats why I said in most cases...there are exceptions, but it is my philosophy that if you have a good OL, a good pass rush and a run stuffing DT, every other position will fall into place. People always say finding skill positions is the hardest, I disagree......u put a top 10 talent in a position to succeed, they generally will. Thats the problem with taking a skill guy top 10.....he is in a crappy situation and either cant get the ball or has no running lanes, etc. Same thing applies to defense....if your team gets no pass rush, no CB in the world can lock down an NFL WR for much more than the average play time. No pass rush=more time for the QB, which leads to WR getting open (not due to poor CB play) and the CB being labeled a bust. Now, some CB just flat out get worked and it applies in a lesser extent to them, but it still applies.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 12:11 AM
yeah thats why I said in most cases...there are exceptions, but it is my philosophy that if you have a good OL, a good pass rush and a run stuffing DT, every other position will fall into place. People always say finding skill positions is the hardest, I disagree......u put a top 10 talent in a position to succeed, they generally will. Thats the problem with taking a skill guy top 10.....he is in a crappy situation and either cant get the ball or has no running lanes, etc.

Good point. I can't argue with that.

BBIB
01-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Havin looks awesome in this game. I hope this kid can stay healthy and have a long career in the pros because he sure is fun to watch...

The scary thing is that he wasn't healthy in that game. He really could have scored on that one long run if that guy didn't pull his jersey from behind in the 1st half.

Percy is truly one of the most underappreciated playmakers. He averaged more yards per touch and more TDs per touch than Reggie Bush in college.

BBIB
01-09-2009, 10:30 AM
A Florida WR who is all speed and is fragile. He may be an explosive player, but a MAJOR Boom or Bust player.

Most people will compared him to former UF receivers but in reality he's pretty unique. Sure we've had guys with his speed before like Chad Jackson and even Caldwell ran a fast 40 time.

But we've never had a guy with his combined acceleration and agility. And with his vision between the tackles and added bulk this year, I think Harvin could honestly be used in the NFL like he's used in college which is between the tackles and split outwide.

I think he will be a more dynamic player in the NFL than he is in college if given more touches.

bernbabybern820
01-09-2009, 10:53 AM
yeah thats why I said in most cases...there are exceptions, but it is my philosophy that if you have a good OL, a good pass rush and a run stuffing DT, every other position will fall into place. People always say finding skill positions is the hardest, I disagree......u put a top 10 talent in a position to succeed, they generally will. Thats the problem with taking a skill guy top 10.....he is in a crappy situation and either cant get the ball or has no running lanes, etc. Same thing applies to defense....if your team gets no pass rush, no CB in the world can lock down an NFL WR for much more than the average play time. No pass rush=more time for the QB, which leads to WR getting open (not due to poor CB play) and the CB being labeled a bust. Now, some CB just flat out get worked and it applies in a lesser extent to them, but it still applies.

Except Nnamdi of course.

StaticGator
01-09-2009, 11:37 AM

Harvin doesn't get to play against Pac 10 defenses.

Babylon
01-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Harvin doesn't get to play against Pac 10 defenses.

Or with a strong armed QB either.

murdamal86
01-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Or with a strong armed QB either.

and Matt Leinart had a "cannon" for an arm

hagy34
01-09-2009, 12:42 PM
and Matt Leinart had a "cannon" for an arm

Lol. I don't think the QB had a huge effect on the play of either of these guys in college.

murdamal86
01-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Lol. I don't think the QB had a huge effect on the play of either of these guys in college.

Exactly. Harvin never really was used deep the passing game at UF, he's used more on the drag routes.

etk
01-09-2009, 12:52 PM

What????

Of all the athletic traits Harvin possesses...speed is probably the worst one. All speed athletes are guys like DHB, Troy Williamson, Dexter Jackson, etc.

Harvin has every physical trait you look for in an athlete (aside from height). His speed is overrated because of his explosiveness and vision as a playmaker. He really doesn't run that fast in a straight line and gets caught from behind quite often.

Fragile is the wrong word...injury prone is the right one. Harvin's hurt all the time, but he's definitely not fragile. He's extremely muscular, strong and has balance and power as a runner. The 2 D. Jackson's from last year are fragile as they can't take a hit. Harvin almost always falls forward on contact.

Every player is at risk of injuries. Every player therefore has a bust factor with injuries. Harvin is a sure thing prospect if he's healthy...that's all you can ask for. Who knew Cadillac would be on the shelf with 2 patella injuries? At least Harvin is a guaranteed playmaker when healthy....that's more than you can say about DHB in the NFL. Maclin and Crabtree should be higher rated because they're talented in their own right and don't have as serious of an injury history.

murdamal86
01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
What????

Of all the athletic traits Harvin possesses...speed is probably the worst one. All speed players athletes are guys like DHB, Troy Williamson, Dexter Jackson, etc.

Harvin has every physical trait you look for in an athlete (aside from height). His speed is overrated because of his explosiveness and vision as a playmaker. He really doesn't run that fast in a straight line and gets caught from behind quite often.

Fragile is the wrong word...injury prone is the right one. Harvin's hurt all the time, but he's definitely not fragile. He's extremely muscular, strong and has balance and power as a runner. The 2 D. Jackson's from last year are fragile as they can't take a hit. Harvin almost always falls forward on contact.

Every player is at risk of injuries. Every player therefore has a bust factor with injuries. Harvin is a sure thing prospect if he's healthy...that's all you can ask for. Who knew Cadillac would be on the shelf with 2 patella injuries? At least Harvin is a guaranteed playmaker when healthy....that's more than you can say about DHB in the NFL. Maclin and Crabtree should be higher rated because they're talented in their own right and don't have as serious of an injury history.

COSIGN!!!!!!!!!!! You need to go get Todd McShay's job dude no lie

Sidney
01-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Harvin is a good athlete that doesn't have a lot of refined football skills. He looks for all the world like a Ted Ginn type player with the same hype- he's a playmaker just get him the ball. Ginn is productive but not a world beater and I'm guessing Harvin goes down that same route.

superfly
01-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Harvin played on a fractured ankle, not a high ankle sprain.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/ufblog/entries/2009/01/09/harvin_had_a_fractured_ankle.html

hagy34
01-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Harvin played on a fractured ankle, not a high ankle sprain.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/ufblog/entries/2009/01/09/harvin_had_a_fractured_ankle.html

Wow. That makes last night even more amazing. Too bad he wasn't at 100% so he really could've put on a show...

hagy34
01-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Harvin is a good athlete that doesn't have a lot of refined football skills. He looks for all the world like a Ted Ginn type player with the same hype- he's a playmaker just get him the ball. Ginn is productive but not a world beater and I'm guessing Harvin goes down that same route.

What do you mean he doesn't have good football skills? He looks like a great player to me. Ginn was more of a speedster than Harvin. Harvin is a football player and as the makings of a top 10 pick if it weren't for his health issues.

etk
01-09-2009, 06:23 PM

I'm not going to disagree with the Ginn comparison, however Harvin is a more complete athlete. Ginn can run well, but Harvin is stronger, more elusive, quicker, more explosive, etc. Both share a similar style of play, however, and that's where I agree with the comparison.

As an athlete, I'd compare him to Steve Smith.

soybean
01-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm not going to disagree with the Ginn comparison, however Harvin is a more complete athlete. Ginn can run well, but Harvin is stronger, more elusive, quicker, more explosive, etc. Both share a similar style of play, however, and that's where I agree with the comparison.

he has not shown he's capable of running routes yet though.

etk
01-09-2009, 06:28 PM
he has not shown he's capable of running routes yet though.

Of course not...he plays for UF. I didn't say he did...unless you're mistaking complete athlete for player.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 06:29 PM

I agree. Although he'll never be the WR Smith is, he should be a very good pro.

nobodyinparticular
01-09-2009, 06:36 PM

That is one of the most incorrect statement I have read in a long time.

Watch an NFL game and tell me that WRs gain separation on every play. Man, that's bogus.

soybean
01-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Of course not...he plays for UF. I didn't say he did...unless you're mistaking complete athlete for player.

then why would you draft a player that high when you basically have to teach him EVERYTHING.

Bruce Banner
01-09-2009, 06:38 PM
then why would you draft a player that high when you basically have to teach him EVERYTHING.

we are tampa fans that want harvin.

he won't have to learn anything.

just how to run slants. he will do the damage after the catch.

G-Mac
01-09-2009, 06:41 PM
What????

Of all the athletic traits Harvin possesses...speed is probably the worst one. All speed athletes are guys like DHB, Troy Williamson, Dexter Jackson, etc.

Harvin has every physical trait you look for in an athlete (aside from height). His speed is overrated because of his explosiveness and vision as a playmaker. He really doesn't run that fast in a straight line and gets caught from behind quite often

He ran a 4.26 '40 last summer.

Honestly, had it not been for the fractured ankle, he would have taken those two runs to the house. Percy Harvin epitomizes speed. With alldo respect, you are the first person that I've seen question this guy's speed.

noromasionadom
01-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Over-rated prospect like Bush. He will play somewhere and be important but never use a first rounder on 15-20 snap per game player IMHO.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Over-rated prospect like Bush. He will play somewhere and be important but never use a first rounder on 15-20 snap per game player IMHO.

Bush went 2nd overall and people were shocked that he wasn't #1. Harvin is going to be somewhere in late 1st. Not even close to the same.

noromasionadom
01-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Bush went 2nd overall and people were shocked that he wasn't #1. Harvin is going to be somewhere in late 1st. Not even close to the same.

I have no clue where he goes but I would never use a #1 for 15-20 snap guy.

To me that is what Bush and Harvin are. But to each his own

hagy34
01-09-2009, 10:08 PM
How can you call Bush a 15-20 snap guy anyways? He gets 15-20 touches and is on the field for more than half of the offensive plays.

TheGM
01-09-2009, 11:17 PM
I've got to agree. Harvin is worth the round one pick because he causes matchup problems for defenses. He is an "X-back" like Bush or Westbrook you can line him up as a wideout in the slot or give him a carry out of the backfeild or on a reverse. Defenses have to account for him and that makes him a round one guy IMO

hagy34
01-09-2009, 11:19 PM
I've got to agree. Harvin is worth the round one pick because he causes matchup problems for defenses. He is an "X-back" like Bush or Westbrook you can line him up as a wideout in the slot or give him a carry out of the backfeild or on a reverse. Defenses have to account for him and that makes him a round one guy IMO

Exactly what I believe. A guy who changes the game every snap has to be worth a 1st round pick. Now maybe he doesn't have the same impact as a Westbrook, but if he's even close he's worth a #1.

TheGM
01-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Exactly what I believe. A guy who changes the game every snap has to be worth a 1st round pick. Now maybe he doesn't have the same impact as a Westbrook, but if he's even close he's worth a #1.

Thank you. The question isn't is he a first round guy, it's will he land on a team with the creativity to use him to his full potential. Call Me Crazy but I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in Indy. Harrison is getting long in the tooth and could be replaced by Gonzalez, slide Harvin in at the slot and you could have trouble.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 11:38 PM
Thank you. The question isn't is he a first round guy, it's will he land on a team with the creativity to use him to his full potential. Call Me Crazy but I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in Indy. Harrison is getting long in the tooth and could be replaced by Gonzalez, slide Harvin in at the slot and you could have trouble.

He would be scary in Indy. Manning would turn him into a monster. But for some reason I he doesn't seem like a guy Indy would draft. I can't explain why, it just seems that way to me.

sbh15
01-10-2009, 12:09 AM
I would love to see Harvin in Indianapolis. Not only would it give me a reason to watch the 5-6 Colts games I get every year, despite living in North Carolina, he'd be in an offense that would maximize his ability.

Flyboy
01-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Harvin compares very well to Bush except probably minus the top end speed.

PACKmanN
01-10-2009, 12:32 AM
who would you guys rather have, Eddie Royal or Harvin?

Bruce Banner
01-10-2009, 12:37 AM

Harvin, with ease.

hagy34
01-10-2009, 12:44 AM

I don't think its even close. Harvin. Mainly because he has way more upside. Royal will be a nice #2 WR but thats about it...

yourfavestoner
01-10-2009, 01:21 AM

We'll see about that.

Rob S
01-10-2009, 01:48 AM
That is one of the most incorrect statement I have read in a long time.

Watch an NFL game and tell me that WRs gain separation on every play. Man, that's bogus.

not every play of course, but if there is a great offensive line in place and the QB and WR's have lots of time, the WR will get open most of the time......Of course if the QB is getting harassed and has to throw almost the instant he gets the snap, there wont be separation......there are coverage sacks occasionally, but they are fairly rare....WR's have such a huge advantage over CB right now its almost not fair.

gpngc
01-10-2009, 01:56 AM
If Devin Hester can hold a starting job as a WR in the NFL, Percy Harvin can too.

Hester was so raw his coaches at Miami didn't even convert him. Harvin has shown skills as a receiving threat, albeit on verticals and crossing routes mostly.

If he lasts to Tennessee I would think they'd pull the trigger.

savedbygrace89
01-10-2009, 05:12 AM
Whats his value though?

Is he a 1st round pick?

Is he better or Jeremy Maclin who plays in a similar offense.

I loved what I saw of the young man vs the Sooners, but I am also kind of skeptical of Gator recievers in the NFL though..

savedbygrace89
01-10-2009, 05:17 AM

As good as Harvin looked vs the Sooners, we all have seen what Eddie Royal can do in the NFL, and Harvin hasnt taken a snap yet. Guess that means I would have to take Royal myself.

toonsterwu
01-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I think Harvin's a late first.

Here's an interesting dynamic - Ted Ginn Jr. went high. It isn't a direct relationship, but there's no doubt that Ginn Jr.'s struggles probably hurt Desean Jackson's perception a tiny bit last year. Desean's success, though, could help Harvin's value a bit (not saying any of the three are similar in talent).

Iamcanadian
01-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Harvin really excites me for his talent and I don't think the system he comes from will hinder his pro career one bit. In fact he will be a much better pro than a college player and playing WR exclusively, he will probably avoid the injuries he gets carrying the ball as a RB.
He has it all, elite speed, solid hands and great feet and vision. He will be a #1 receiver from day one and put fear into every DC he plays against and against every CB who has to cover him. He will command a double team on practically every play creating huge space for his RB and his fellow WR's.
I think some team will get an absolute steal late in round 1 because of his injuries. If he hadn't suffered those injuries because Florida asks him to carry the ball a lot, he would be a top 5 pick IMO. He has it all.

etk
01-10-2009, 09:58 AM

You make it sound so complicated. Physical tools are far and away the most important thing for a WR. Coaches are expected to teach a player everything else, that's their job. Coaches don't draft guys who run a 4.8 but have great technique, they draft guys that have the ability to work with. Just because Harvin doesn't have experience running a certain route doesn't mean he can't learn it in a week in the NFL.
He ran a 4.26 '40 last summer.

Honestly, had it not been for the fractured ankle, he would have taken those two runs to the house. Percy Harvin epitomizes speed. With alldo respect, you are the first person that I've seen question this guy's speed.

I don't see the game speed. He has good, maybe great speed, but his other attributes are better. That's all I said. More a compliment than anything. I've seen his plays from Fr and So years plus a few games this year, and I don't see him taking as many plays to the house as he should. He gets caught from behind quite often. The 40 time doesn't matter to me....how it translates to the field does.

So....never draft a WR, TE, or most RBs in the 1st? Mmmkay....good logic.

hagy34
01-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Great Post above. Too much to quote but I agree with you 100%.

croflash
01-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I think Harvin is a very, very special talent. He is not just a football player who can play multiple positions, line up everywhere on the field, he will benefit from having played different positions. Often that is seen as a knock why a player won't succeed, in his case it's a positive because he is versatile and he has that certain edge to him.

He can make people miss, at the same time he has also enough upper body strength to run inbetween tackles. His legs need to get stronger, but if that is your biggest negative, you know that you are going to be pretty good.

superfly
01-10-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't see the game speed. He has good, maybe great speed, but his other attributes are better. That's all I said. More a compliment than anything. I've seen his plays from Fr and So years plus a few games this year, and I don't see him taking as many plays to the house as he should. He gets caught from behind quite often. The 40 time doesn't matter to me....how it translates to the field does.

What makes Harvin special is his ability to change direction without losing much speed. He's not really a dancer like Bush, I've watched all of his games and he usually only does one move and he's past the defender due to his exceptional agility and acceleration.

Babylon
01-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Let's see what he can do with a strong armed QB at the next level. As of now he takes short passes and turns them into long gainers. There may be a whole differant level with this guy.

Flyboy
01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
We'll see about that.

Erm, yeah. I guess we will.

the decider13
01-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Call me a homer, but I would take Royal for sure. I think he has more potential as a receiver.

JohnCandy
01-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Harvin is so versatile he will cause matchup nightmares and game plan problems for every coach that he faces.

Harvin has everything you can't teach, Speed, Agility and Toughness.

Nimmy
01-11-2009, 08:09 AM

Here's the thing about Harvin though, he's not going to be his team's running back, so there's no obligation to give him 15 carries every game. There are no real expectations like there were for Bush. I think he comes into the league and is a lot like Devin Hester for a few years, and if he works his butt off he can have the career arc of Steve Smith. Smith isn't a great route runner, he only really runs about 5 routes, he's just so special it doesn't matter. Harvin can do that if he really works. Until then, he's going to be dangerous as hell as a returner and in special Harvin packages.

TheGM
01-11-2009, 11:57 AM
I think it would be a mistake to relegate him to special teams. Any coordinator worth his salt would find ways to get him the ball in space through the passing game; a good one would maximize his ability as a ball carrier as well.

hagy34
01-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Harvin is so versatile he will cause matchup nightmares and game plan problems for every coach that he faces.

Harvin has everything you can't teach, Speed, Agility and Toughness.

Agreed. I think some people probably questioned how tough he actually was before that BCS Title Game. That has got to help his draft stock.

murdamal86
01-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Percy: "Im kind of leaning towards coming back"

Uh oh, you guys better hope Meyer tells him to leave

BBIB
01-11-2009, 06:15 PM

Except he's better at everything except returning. Better receiver and better runner between the tackles

BBIB
01-11-2009, 06:15 PM

I don't believe that one bit. Too good to be true for UF

hagy34
01-11-2009, 06:42 PM

And where on earth did you get his quote from?

BBIB
01-11-2009, 06:52 PM

Probably some message board or maybe he dreamed it.

Either way too good to be true for any UF fan.

And honestly Percy has done enough for this program. Let the guy go get his money.

Speaking of dreaming, it may not be one as far as Harvin falling to your Vikings with Crabtree and Maclin declaring. Perhaps questions about Harvin's health will make him a steal

hagy34
01-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Probably some message board or maybe he dreamed it.

Either way too good to be true for any UF fan.

And honestly Percy has done enough for this program. Let the guy go get his money.

Speaking of dreaming, it may not be one as far as Harvin falling to your Vikings with Crabtree and Maclin declaring. Perhaps questions about Harvin's health will make him a steal

I meant I was dreaming that we'd actually take him. I think he'll be there when we pick #22. I just can't see our brass making that selection. I'd love it though.

murdamal86
01-11-2009, 08:37 PM

got that from the championship celebration today. He said it on a SunSports camera...I think it was with Larry Vattel, after they sang the alma-mater. He's going to meet with Meyer tomorrow and word is that Spikes is set to come back to. I'll hold my breath until all of it's official

Bosanac01
01-11-2009, 08:41 PM
I really like Percy Harvin. I saying he's not gonna bust, the guy can play, you can stick him anywhere, just needs to stay healthy.

Jbond only wishes he was a Steeler next year :p

hagy34
01-11-2009, 08:49 PM
got that from the championship celebration today. He said it on a SunSports camera...I think it was with Larry Vattel, after they sang the alma-mater. He's going to meet with Meyer tomorrow and word is that Spikes is set to come back to. I'll hold my breath until all of it's official

Probably a little bit of emotion in that type of atmosphere. Time will tell I guess...

murdamal86
01-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Probably a little bit of emotion in that type of atmosphere. Time will tell I guess...

Yea my thoughts exactly. I'm sure he was telling everybody what they wanted to hear at that time. He has absolutely nothing left to give and prove at the University of Florida. He needs to go. No need to take another year of free pounding

BBIB
01-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Yea my thoughts exactly. I'm sure he was telling everybody what they wanted to hear at that time. He has absolutely nothing left to give and prove at the University of Florida. He needs to go. No need to take another year of free pounding

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it.

I think he should go as well. If he has another year battling injuries his stock will absolutely plummet.

Go get that money Percy. You already have two NC as basically a starter.

DoWnThEfiElD
01-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Percy Harvin could be a mix of Jones Drew and Bush, if used right in the NFL.

BBIB
01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Percy Harvin could be a mix of Jones Drew and Bush, if used right in the NFL.

I say Bush Meets Desean Jackson

Then again Bush is garbage between the tackles, how about STeve Slaton meets Desean Jackson

giantsfan
01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
I say Bush Meets Desean Jackson

Then again Bush is garbage between the tackles, how about STeve Slaton meets Desean Jackson

I'm thinking Brian Westbrook meets Steve Smith, with some jordyzzz mixed in just for awesomeness.

yourfavestoner
01-17-2009, 12:48 AM
http://blip.tv/file/1675249
Percy Harvin career highlights. Recognize people. They don't make 'em like this very often.

etk
01-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Percy Harvin career highlights. Recognize people. They don't make 'em like this very often.

I don't even wanna look dude. His 1-year highlights (Fr/So) are incredible enough. Watching his career highlights would just upset me even more at how grossly underrated he is.

sbh15
01-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Damn I'm gonna miss him... He will make some NFL team very, very happy. I honestly think he's better than Reggie Bush, he's a lot stronger of a runner than people give him credit for.

BBIB
01-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Damn I'm gonna miss him... He will make some NFL team very, very happy. I honestly think he's better than Reggie Bush, he's a lot stronger of a runner than people give him credit for.

Reggie Bush will be an insulting comparison to Percy Harvin if he stays healthy. This kid can be that good.

giantsfan
01-17-2009, 01:17 PM
I just pray that he lands with a good smart OC, not some dumbass like Kevin Killdrive and that he stays healthy. OH FSM won't you guide this young lad with your noodily appendage!

Babylon
01-17-2009, 07:21 PM
For some reason i see Harvin a Patriot. There is some kind of connection between the Gators program and the Pats so this wouldnt surprise me in the least. Put him in there as a wideout and build on a team strength. They think outside the box there so not a shocker.

Dark Knight01
01-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Harvin is another Florida WR who will be a bust in the NFL....

SimonRath
01-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Bush is better then Harvin, and Bush isn't even that good in the NFL..

sbh15
01-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Harvin another Florida WR who will be a bust in the NFL....

That's really a ridiculous statement, whether he busts or not will have nothing to do with coming from Florida... he doesn't need to be a pure wide receiver like a Torry Holt or Marvin Harrison to be special in the NFL, he can provide so many other things, and he's an insane talent. He'll be the one to break the trend... can I ask if you even watch Harvin? If you did, you'd realize how ridiculous it is to group him with guys like Chad Jackson...

Bush is better then Harvin, and Bush isn't even that good in the NFL..

What? Percy Harvin is a better runner than Bush ever was/will be. Plus he's more natural as a receiver. If Percy played against Pac-10 competition as the guy who was THE guy in an offense, he'd put up the same numbers and get the same love.

SimonRath
01-17-2009, 09:54 PM
What? Percy Harvin is a better runner than Bush ever was/will be. Plus he's more natural as a receiver. If Percy played against Pac-10 competition as the guy who was THE guy in an offense, he'd put up the same numbers and get the same love.

more natural as a receiver? i do not see that at all

Dark Knight01
01-17-2009, 10:03 PM
That's really a ridiculous statement, whether he busts or not will have nothing to do with coming from Florida... he doesn't need to be a pure wide receiver like a Torry Holt or Marvin Harrison to be special in the NFL, he can provide so many other things, and he's an insane talent. He'll be the one to break the trend... can I ask if you even watch Harvin? If you did, you'd realize how ridiculous it is to group him with guys like Chad Jackson...

We shall see how ridiculous of my statement about Harvin becomes after 3 years. Personally I wouldn't draft ANY of these WR's in the top 10 except for possibly Crabtree. Waste of a pick since there are so many other WR's with the same skill set or that would better picks in rounds 2 and below. Nicks, Kenny Britt, Brandon Tate, Heyward-Bay to name a few.

Only way I draft a WR early is if it is a Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald type. Big, strong, fast and have excellent hands.

sbh15
01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
We shall see how ridiculous of my statement about Harvin becomes after 3 years. Personally I wouldn't draft ANY of these WR's in the top 10 except for possibly Crabtree. Waste of a pick since there are so many other WR's with the same skill set or that would better picks in rounds 2 and below. Nicks, Kenny Britt, Brandon Tate, Heyward-Bay to name a few.

Only way I draft a WR early is if it is a Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald type. Big, strong, fast and have excellent hands.

I'm not saying he'll be a guaranteed stud, though I believe he'll be a very good player, but don't group him with Chad Jackson and Jabar Gaffney, etc. He's totally different than them. I was just saying that grouping him with them is ridiculous, not saying that he'll bust. I think Percy has top 10 talent because he's more than a wide receiver, but there are definitely concerns. I doubt a team picks him in the top 10 though, so you have nothing to worry about.

etk
01-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Harvin is another Florida WR who will be a bust in the NFL....

Nah....Louis Murphy will fill that role.

JohnCandy
01-18-2009, 11:49 AM
I think the comparisons between Harvin and past Florida WRs is all wrong. He doesn't fill the same type of role or have the same skil set. I also think that Harvin was a better college player then Bush and that he has the same skills going to the NFL.

If it wasn't for the injuries he would be a much higher pick but as of right now he is behind Maclin and Crab.