PDA

View Full Version : Draft: Anyone think there's a chance...

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 02:15 PM
J. Moss falls to us at 22? If so, how fast would we be up to the podium?

Dave
03-04-2007, 02:19 PM
I like Jarvis Moss but we have more pressing needs IMO.

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
More pressing needs than getting pressure on the QB?

Are you talking about safety? There's probably value there in the 2nd.

Dave
03-04-2007, 02:35 PM
More pressing needs than getting pressure on the QB?

Are you talking about safety? There's probably value there in the 2nd.

Getting after the QB isn't a pressing need. Greg Ellis will be playing again for us next year so we'll be fine. Not to mention Carp will probably begin to be phased into the defense more.

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I hope you are right about Ellis, but I am very concerned that the injury coupled with his age could make him very iffy next year. Remember, that injury has ended some folks career.

What if Ellis isn't back 100%? Are you content to go into the season with the exact same setup as we ended the season? We weren't exactly getting after the QB at the end of the season.

Dave
03-04-2007, 02:48 PM
I hope you are right about Ellis, but I am very concerned that the injury coupled with his age could make him very iffy next year. Remember, that injury has ended some folks career.

What if Ellis isn't back 100%? Are you content to go into the season with the exact same setup as we ended the season? We weren't exactly getting after the QB at the end of the season.

I know for a fact Ellis will not be what he was at the beginning of last season. He will be able to teach Carp and hopefully others how to get passed some of the Tackles in the league though. Our defense will be a lot better with Wade's defensive scheme. A lot more blitzing is involved.

UTPATS
03-04-2007, 02:56 PM
I think Ellis had much more of an impact stopping the run than he did in pass rushing in our style of defense last year. Thats all I heard about after he went out was how the Cowboys couldnt stop the run since Ellis went down.

Modano
03-04-2007, 03:43 PM
The problem with the pass rush isn't about the LBs, is about the DL.. Our DL wasn't getting to the QB, hopefully Wade's scheme could help them...

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Exactly. If Moss is the only option, trade down. He isn't that great IMO, plus we don't need him.

D-Unit
03-04-2007, 04:26 PM
If we get Porter than we don't need Moss or any other OLB on the first day. Another reason why Porter is now #1 on my FA wish list now that Davis is on board.

I think Moss is a tremendously talented player and if Nelson isn't there and we haven't signed Porter then Moss has to be our pick... if he is there.

Dave
03-04-2007, 05:17 PM
The problem with the pass rush isn't about the LBs, is about the DL.. Our DL wasn't getting to the QB, hopefully Wade's scheme could help them...

Most 3-4 Defensive Lineman "get after" the QB. They're there to be double teamed and make gaps for the LB's.

Paul
03-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Most 3-4 Defensive Lineman "get after" the QB. They're there to be double teamed and make gaps for the LB's.

I hear that argument alot, but when you see guys like Castillo and Seymore getting push from the position and getting pressure you can't but to be jealous. Just because it isn't in there job description, doesn't mean they can't go out there reek some havoc. I'm not saying I want see Spears and Canty doing spin moves out there, but they seem to be inept in that aspect of the defense.

Dave
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
I hear that argument alot, but when you see guys like Castillo and Seymore getting push from the position and getting pressure you can't but to be jealous. Just because it isn't in there job description, doesn't mean they can't go out there reek some havoc. I'm not saying I want see Spears and Canty doing spin moves out there, but they seem to be inept in that aspect of the defense.

Canty is fine, Spears is the underacheiver. Seymour is a once in a lifetime freak of nature, that's why he's a beast. San Diego just has a disgustingly awesome front seven that makes me cry on the inside.

jdnoyes
03-04-2007, 07:11 PM
I like Moss, and would be in favor of taking him at 22, assuming a few other guys are off the board, and assuming we don't go after Porter (Which I think we won't). I still believe the Carp will end up inside, and we'll bring somebody in from this draft class to back up Ellis, and hopefully eventually take over for him. I know that the majority of the board thinks Carp will be our starting Sam this year, but I think Wade has other plans for him for a future inside just like BP did. I know, I know he played well in Seattle, but I don't see him in practice every day, like BP who said multiple times Carp's future was inside, guess we'll see.

Im_a_Romosexual
03-04-2007, 07:56 PM
we dont need a linebacker in the first round three years in a row

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 08:10 PM
thank you.

Don
03-04-2007, 09:34 PM
I think “getting after the QB” should be a priority. Starting with Sean Payton and NO most opposing teams realized we couldn’t do it, even with the blitz, and starting sending everyone out on passes. Hence, we have blocking fullbacks catching TD passes against us. Maybe it was the defensive scheme (which I was never thrilled with) but you have to put at least some of the blame on the personnel.

I’m actually somewhat intrigued by Anthony Spencer. He’s currently projected as a round 2 player, but I doubt he lasts that long (a la Dwight Freeney). He’s small for a 3-4 DE, but he did have 93 tackles last year, which is a lot for his position.

Modano
03-05-2007, 01:40 AM

But our d-line wasn't able to free the LBs. Everytime we blitzed the OL picked it because of poor play by the DL. I think Wade's scheme will solve the pass rush problems.
And if we draft another 1st round LB or pick Porter what do you want to do with Carpenter? Bench him and use him a situational player until his contract expires? Give Carpenter some time, he was picked to play OLB and he has the tools to do it. When he got his chance to start he was amazing in every aspect of the game, making tackles, rushing the passer, battling ball down, he nearly got two ints in two starts. I don't know why we have to draft another OLB and move Carpenter inside, or spell him and the rookie. And 3 1st round LBs are a lot of money, too much for a single position..

D-Unit
03-05-2007, 03:26 AM
But our d-line wasn't able to free the LBs. Everytime we blitzed the OL picked it because of poor play by the DL. I think Wade's scheme will solve the pass rush problems.
And if we draft another 1st round LB or pick Porter what do you want to do with Carpenter? Bench him and use him a situational player until his contract expires? Give Carpenter some time, he was picked to play OLB and he has the tools to do it. When he got his chance to start he was amazing in every aspect of the game, making tackles, rushing the passer, battling ball down, he nearly got two ints in two starts. I don't know why we have to draft another OLB and move Carpenter inside, or spell him and the rookie. And 3 1st round LBs are a lot of money, too much for a single position..
Wade's system may solve some, but something needs to be done at NT. Fergy needs to be less concentrated on making the tackle and busting through the line and more concerned with eating up blockers and creating holes for our LBs to penetrate.

Don't worry about tying up money at LB. That's 4 starting positions you're talking about. Unlike 2 or 1 of everything else. Carpenter will continue to have a significant presence on the team regardless if we add another LB or not.