PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Spikes LB Florida

Texas Homer
01-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Is he coming out?

I know he has a few knocks against him, but he looks like a Beast!!

What round does everyone think he will go in if he declares?

Thoughts?

Babylon
01-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Is he coming out?

I know he has a few knocks against him, but he looks like a Beast!!

What round does everyone think he will go in if he declares?

Thoughts?

I think he's a 1st rounder, needs to play every down but he's a playmaker.

Scott Wright
01-09-2009, 01:17 AM
I'd be shocked if he didn't come out.

Most likely a first rounder, no worse than an early second.

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 01:23 AM
This seems like a similar situation to Brandon Siler, winning a national championship as a Jr. and then declaring. I thought Siler was a great, but he ended up going late in the draft. Spikes is definitely a better prospect than Siler. I say early second round now. Could elevate depending on workouts.

Babylon
01-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Probably a good chance that someone like a Spikes, Clint Sintum or a Brian Cushing could slide into round 2. Music to the ears of teams like the Lions, Rams and Chiefs.

Texas Homer
01-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Probably a good chance that someone like a Spikes, Clint Sintum or a Brian Cushing could slide into round 2. Music to the ears of teams like the Lions, Rams and Chiefs. and maybe the Texans as well.

Pokeys
01-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Siler... now theres a name. Everyone use to love him around here.

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Siler... now theres a name. Everyone use to love him around here.

I did, I won't lie. Did nothing special, but was a solid player and a good leader. He's still with the Chargers, more as a special teams guy, but you never know. A LB can step up at any time.

ThatThereCarGoin200mph
01-09-2009, 01:42 AM
1st rounder no doubt, it is impossible that he would ignore the millions to go be a student at florida for another year

Scientist McKnowitall
01-09-2009, 01:48 AM
I think Spikes is a mid first round pick assuming he has a good combine. He plays fast and with a chip on his shoulder. I wouldn't mind the Lions picking him up at #20.

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 01:55 AM
I think he has first round talent, but sometimes teams don't value LB's all that high and thus they slip a bit. I think his draft position really depends on what the guys "in front" of him do. The Sr's: Curry, Laurinaitis, Maualuga. Someone's going to fall.

Chris
01-09-2009, 02:18 AM
I'd draft him over James L., that guy is overrated.

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 02:25 AM

as would I, but we are not GM's

Scott Wright
01-09-2009, 02:43 AM

He could give Laurinaitis a run for his money.

SaintsMan
01-09-2009, 04:29 AM
I could see the Saints trading down a few spots and taking Spikes to play WLB.

Dirt McGirt
01-09-2009, 07:46 AM

Over Maualuga too

bitonti
01-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Hmm. I think Maualuga and Laurinaitis are getting picked on unfairly because of their returning to school... committment to a program shouldn't be punished.

as for Spikes, he's a very very good player but I don't see all these ILB projections. I question how much over 230 he weighs, I question his ability to deal with the junk on the inside and his best plays usually come from blitzing on the outside. Might be a tweener DE more than a classic ILB. His 6'5" frame is a negative at ILB, but a positive at DE.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I'd be shocked if he didn't come out.

Most likely a first rounder, no worse than an early second.

I agree especially about the part where he declares. I won't be shocked if he rises after the combine.

bored of education
01-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I like Spikes alot. He does provide versatility. He has a solid all around skill set but doesn't have anything jaw dropping in his bag.

But Spikes IMO is the 3rd best overall LB in this draft.

wonderbredd24
01-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Brandon Spikes is a very talented LB. My only issue is he seems to be an absolute force in some games (LSU) and completely dissapear in others, like in the National Title.

He was invisible

Sloopy
01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
If he comes out and has a solid combine he might surprise everyone and be the second or third LB picked in the draft. I've been watching him for awhile and he makes some solid arm tackles as apposed to a guy like Maualuga who just hits the guy, may transfer to an outside linebacker role due to his size may even play a role like Suggs and have his hand in the dirt on some plays as he does do a lot of blitzing from the outside. Needless to say he will be versatile as a pass rushing OLB and possible DE who can also shake up the run game.

BBIB
01-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I don't think it should be a surprise at all if Spikes is one of the first LBs off the board. His stock is certainly that high right now which is why I think there is pretty much no chance he returns to school next year

asmitty45
01-09-2009, 10:44 AM
I'd LOVE for Spikes to drop to the First pick in the 2nd, between Spikes Sims and Dizon the Lions might actually have something to be excited about on defense

StaticGator
01-09-2009, 11:39 AM
as for Spikes, he's a very very good player but I don't see all these ILB projections. I question how much over 230 he weighs, I question his ability to deal with the junk on the inside and his best plays usually come from blitzing on the outside. Might be a tweener DE more than a classic ILB. His 6'5" frame is a negative at ILB, but a positive at DE.

I think Spikes compares physically to Karlos Dansby.

Jakey
01-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah i agree with bitonti...Spikes is a great player, and could probably play all 3 backer positions in a 4-3...but he would be a bad fit in a 3-4 IMO, he doesnt shed blocks or work through traffic well enough, would be a wasted pick for 3-4 team IMO.

Babylon
01-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Hmm. I think Maualuga and Laurinaitis are getting picked on unfairly because of their returning to school... committment to a program shouldn't be punished.

Agree, i think he's an OLB in either a 4-3 or 3-4. I dont think he compares to Rey and JL.

Bruce Banner
01-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Derrick Brooks needs a replacement.

Just sayin'.

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 01:09 PM

He's not 6'5, more like 6'3

Babylon
01-09-2009, 01:16 PM
He's not 6'5, more like 6'3

Is he coming out?

Smokey Joe
01-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I like him as a SAM in a 4-3 who can take on blockers and defend the run, blitz and cover the TE. I really don't like him in a 3-4, but if he did play in a 3-4, I think he'd be better suited inside.

Aftermath
01-09-2009, 09:36 PM
I hope one of the big 3 MLBs drop to the Bengals in round 2 pick 6.

Unless Mack falls that far.

Chief49er
01-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Any chance he slips to the 2nd round for the 49ers?

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Any chance he slips to the 2nd round for the 49ers?

At this point in time anything can happen. It's too early to judge. It's not even a certainty that he comes out. But an answer to your question right now would be yes it could be possible.

keylime_5
01-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Spikes is very intense, but he's rather inconsistent and nothing special in pass coverage, though he can make big INTs once and a while. Depending on scheme I still have Laurinaitis slightly over Spikes. Laurinaitis gets a bad rap around here but he's a great player and I think he finds a spot in the first round. Spikes has the potential to have a Jerod Mayo like rise though IMO if he works out well in positional drills.

giantsfan
01-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Spikes is very intense, but he's rather inconsistent and nothing special in pass coverage, though he can make big INTs once and a while. Depending on scheme I still have Laurinaitis slightly over Spikes. Laurinaitis gets a bad rap around here but he's a great player and I think he finds a spot in the first round. Spikes has the potential to have a Jerod Mayo like rise though IMO if he works out well in positional drills.

Spikes is very fluid in coverage, he's not very refined at it because Florida's defense is so aggressive and he's usually leading the charge with his incredible blitzing skills, but that's not to say he won't be a very good cover backer with time and work. That said he'll be better in an aggressive scheme where his primary responsibility is attacking the LOS instead of dropping and sitting in a deep zone. This guy seems built to playin a scheme like Jim Johnson's attacking philly scheme or spags' scheme.

I think he can be a monster in a 3-4 as well because he does a great job disengaging from blockers when he's attacking and will be able to get pressure up the middle, stuff the run and even handle some zone responsibilities.

gator3guy
01-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Spikes is very fluid in coverage, he's not very refined at it because Florida's defense is so aggressive and he's usually leading the charge with his incredible blitzing skills, but that's not to say he won't be a very good cover backer with time and work. That said he'll be better in an aggressive scheme where his primary responsibility is attacking the LOS instead of dropping and sitting in a deep zone. This guy seems built to playin a scheme like Jim Johnson's attacking philly scheme or spags' scheme.

I think he can be a monster in a 3-4 as well because he does a great job disengaging from blockers when he's attacking and will be able to get pressure up the middle, stuff the run and even handle some zone responsibilities.

I agree, if we didn't have Stewart Bradley I would love him in Philly. I'd still love him in Philly but I don't wanna see him on the bench. Plus we have bigger needs. And I would not want him on the Giants :P

murdamal86
01-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Spikes expected to return to Gators

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/01/news-spikes-exp.html

keylime_5
01-11-2009, 05:10 PM
He can definitely increase his draft stock and get a much bigger paycheck by returning. He would be the top middle linebacker next year.

Bills2083
01-11-2009, 05:25 PM
How does everyone think he'll play in a cover-2 defense?

Solomon
01-11-2009, 05:29 PM

Pretty much every source has Spikes listed at 6-3 and between 243 to 245 lbs. IMO he certainly looks that big on the field.

If you think he looks more like 6-5 and a shade over 230 lbs, I'd have to say he doesn't appear anywhere near that lean.

Criticizing a prospect based on what you think their size is (as opposed to what they have been listed at for the past two years) is sketchy at best. I mean if I said that I thought Matt Stafford was closer to 6-1 and that he is a soft 245 lbs based on absolutely no sources except my own feelings I would be ripped for it. And rightly so.

proshoota25
01-11-2009, 05:49 PM

wow...... if thats true...... im truly shocked. could u imagine if everyone returned with tebow? thatd be sick.....

keylime_5
01-11-2009, 06:11 PM
How does everyone think he'll play in a cover-2 defense?

I wouldn't advise drafting him to put him in a cover 2. He was made for an attacking defense, especially a 3-4 IMO.

gator3guy
01-12-2009, 12:44 PM
wow...... if thats true...... im truly shocked. could u imagine if everyone returned with tebow? thatd be sick.....

Yea, best defense in the country. Not to mention the guys playing as backups.

CC.SD
01-12-2009, 01:30 PM
I did, I won't lie. Did nothing special, but was a solid player and a good leader. He's still with the Chargers, more as a special teams guy, but you never know. A LB can step up at any time.

Siler is a beast, he is in my AVI actually. He has been a dominant special teamer and a huge part of our goal line defense. He's turned away more than a couple running backs on 4th down this year. Not an every down player, but a contributor with a mean streak, all for a 7th rounder.

I like Spikes but not at 16. He'll be a good player for someone though.

giantsfan
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
He can definitely increase his draft stock and get a much bigger paycheck by returning. He would be the top middle linebacker next year.

He would be the top middle linebacker this year...

Screw you Brandon, the giants need a linebacker who'll excel in an attacking D and instead of coming out and sliding in with us as we try and improve on our 12-4 season, hopefully replacing AP soon, you decide to go back to college for what? A chance for another title? Or do you think your game will be less nitpicked next year? Think people won't decide that because of how you're being used by your college D they question your cover skills to the point where you start dropping down boards.

murdamal86
01-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Brandon Spikes to return:

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20090115/NEWS/901150951

yourfavestoner
01-15-2009, 06:57 PM
He would be the top middle linebacker this year...

Screw you Brandon, the giants need a linebacker who'll excel in an attacking D and instead of coming out and sliding in with us as we try and improve on our 12-4 season, hopefully replacing AP soon, you decide to go back to college for what? A chance for another title? Or do you think your game will be less nitpicked next year? Think people won't decide that because of how you're being used by your college D they question your cover skills to the point where you start dropping down boards.

A huge reason why he came back is because he and Jarvis Moss were really good friends, and Moss has told him that he regrets not coming back for his senior season. That and he's basically a lock to be the first MLB taken next year.

giantsfan
01-15-2009, 09:09 PM
A huge reason why he came back is because he and Jarvis Moss were really good friends, and Moss has told him that he regrets not coming back for his senior season. That and he's basically a lock to be the first MLB taken next year.

Yeah but I want brandon to replace AP this year!

dunagan15
01-16-2009, 06:13 AM
None of this matters anymore b/c the BEAST is returning. Ya baby!! All 11 starters back for the Gator D.

Can you say preseason #1 ???

gator3guy
01-16-2009, 01:24 PM

No i don't want that jinx

AtariBigby
01-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Unanimous #1. Wow.
Now, just don't let anymore guys get horse-collared like by the Sooners thug.
That can wreck a knee up real fast.

gator3guy
01-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Unanimous #1. Wow.
Now, just don't let anymore guys get horse-collared like by the Sooners thug.
That can wreck a knee up real fast.

Still can't believe the damn official standing right in front of the play didn't call that.