PDA

View Full Version : Michael Crabtree to enter Draft

ljk2171
01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Title says it all, looks like the #1 WR is coming out.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=3821753

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 01:04 PM
He won't run the 40 at the combine, only the pro day. His time will be inflated.

Sloopy
01-09-2009, 01:05 PM
We all saw this coming, What makes it interesting is that Jeremy Maclin declared today and which one will be taken first. Crabtree is an excellent athletic specimen but Maclin is just so versatile and he has the added bonus in the return game, personally I wouldn't mind either one if I was drafting a WR

wicket
01-09-2009, 01:06 PM
meh but crabs is just more special

hagy34
01-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Should be very interesting to see the numbers that Maclin puts up in comparison to Crab prior to draft day. Maybe a team will in love with the 40 time and Maclin goes higher than Crabtree? I doubt it, but weirder things have happened.

Bruce Banner
01-09-2009, 01:09 PM
A team would regret taking Crabtree top 5.

Babylon
01-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Should be very interesting to see the numbers that Maclin puts up in comparison to Crab prior to draft day. Maybe a team will in love with the 40 time and Maclin goes higher than Crabtree? I doubt it, but weirder things have happened.

I think Percy Harvin has to be in the discussion. He's pretty solidly built and when healthy he can fly. The thing that he has had to compensate for is a weak arm QB. Basically he comes to the ball and turns short passes into long gainers. Will be interesting to see how he matches up downfield with a Qb that can zing the ball, i'd be interested to see how these guys catch passes downfield from a Matt Stafford at the combine.

hagy34

Really? Where should he go then? 6-10? Because there is no way this guy should fall out of the top 10 players in this draft.

CroomDawgs
He won't run the 40 at the combine, only the pro day. His time will be inflated.

Very, very smart move on his part. He can hide from a 4.6 40.

RaiderNation
01-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I hope oakalnd drafts him or OT in round 1

Sloopy
01-09-2009, 01:17 PM
meh but crabs is just more special

Imho I think it depends on if a team who needs a receiver is ahead of Oakland. I know that there has been talk of Seattle picking him up and possibly the Browns but Seattle could go a number of ways with their pick and as far as the browns go it depends on if they think that Edwards has a future their even still they may pick Maclin but if Crabtree falls to Oakland I don't see Al Davis passing him up to add to the list of "specimens" he has picked up

CashmoneyDrew
01-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Seriously people, there's a thread for these.

Bruce Banner
01-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Really? Where should he go then? 6-10? Because there is no way this guy should fall out of the top 10 players in this draft.

that's about right I guess.

I'm always skeptical about taking receivers really high anyways.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 01:22 PM
that's about right I guess.

I'm always skeptical about taking receivers really high anyways.

I'm normally against it as well, probably because I'm a Vikes fan and the Williamson pick still stings. But in my mind Crabtree is different. He's a proven commodity that will have a hard time busting unless he's on a team that can't get him the ball. A few of the teams are actually in OK shape at the QB spot, Seattle, Cincy, Cleveland. All spots where he could land.

Sloopy
01-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm normally against it as well, probably because I'm a Vikes fan and the Williamson pick still stings. But in my mind Crabtree is different. He's a proven commodity that will have a hard time busting unless he's on a team that can't get him the ball. A few of the teams are actually in OK shape at the QB spot, Seattle, Cincy, Cleveland. All spots where he could land.

No one is a proven commodity until they play their first NFL game

keylime_5
01-09-2009, 01:26 PM
The guy is seriously a beast. He's quicker and just as physical if not more so than the other big WRs who aren't Calvin Johnson in recent years (Jarrett, Clayton, M.Williams, R.Williams, etc.). Similar to Andre Johnson but not quite as fast and maybe even stronger. Top 5 pick for sure, Seattle Seahawk?

Bruce Banner
01-09-2009, 01:27 PM

yeah. his strengths translate well.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 01:28 PM
No one is a proven commodity until they play their first NFL game

Correct. I meant in College. He's not a guy who is all about potential or measurables.

initial_flo
01-09-2009, 01:30 PM

I'm hoping he's not just the next Peter Warrick which I fear he might be.

I truly don't believe any receiver is worth even first round unless he is an absolute beast like Calvin a couple years ago.

Bruce Banner
01-09-2009, 01:32 PM

I truly don't believe any receiver is worth even first round unless he is an absolute beast like Calvin a couple years ago.

I like using that philosophy for RBs. (not worth first rounders). You could probably state a case for WRs also.

I rather have a first day line and qb and second day RB/WR/TE core, than the other way around.

Sloopy
01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Correct. I meant in College. He's not a guy who is all about potential or measurables.

True although he did play in a system conducive to big numbers no one is doubting his physical set or abilities other than his speed, will he be able to separate from pro corners? personally I see him going to Oakland where he will play opposite Javon Walker and it will be like X-mas for Jamarcus Russell. Then if they can some how improve that O-line a little bit they will be a solid team.

Sloopy
01-09-2009, 01:37 PM
I like using that philosophy for RBs. (not worth first rounders). You could probably state a case for WRs also.

I rather have a first day line and qb and second day RB/WR/TE core, than the other way around.

Same could be said for QB's the only situation where you pretty much no what your getting is an O-line man even DE's and DT's can be risky

Babylon
01-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Seriously people, there's a thread for these.

Do you want 30 replys cluttering up the declaration thread?

CashmoneyDrew
01-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Do you want 30 replys cluttering up the declaration thread?

Yes, yes I do.

Babylon
01-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Yes, yes I do.

Works for me.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Crabtree is a machine.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-09-2009, 02:33 PM

We'll see. There's going to be a lot of pressure for him to run at the combine. If scouts can make him feel like he's hurting his stock by abstaining, we might see him run.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 02:53 PM
We'll see. There's going to be a lot of pressure for him to run at the combine. If scouts can make him feel like he's hurting his stock by abstaining, we might see him run.

I still don't think he runs. He definitely risks more by running than not running. Either way I think he's a top 7 pick.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-09-2009, 02:57 PM
You can definitely see that Crabtree's stride could use some work. That's a quick indicator that once he goes to a training facility, they should be able to shave some seconds off his 40-time.

If he think he can manage a 40-dash under 4.5 (even if it's just 4.49), he should do it. It would be a goodwill workout.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by gator3guy

You can bet that every scout and GM have a rating for every college track out there. Each track will have a + or - rating based on the combine times. These guys aren't stupid.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Many slow WR's workout endlessly before the combine but only a few get a significant improvement. It isn't as easy as people seem to be saying.
Learning new technique can backfire and also make you slower. There is about a month to get ready and changes can be tough to absorb in that short time limit.

Babylon
01-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Many slow WR's workout endlessly before the combine but only a few get a significant improvement. It isn't as easy as people seem to be saying.
Learning new technique can backfire and also make you slower. There is about a month to get ready and changes can be tough to absorb in that short time limit.

Wouldnt you think that if they were going to be improving their 40 times they wouldve done it by now?

Flyboy
01-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Crabtree is a machine.

Truer words never spoken.

PossumBoy9
01-09-2009, 04:07 PM

You don't think Andre Johnson is a beast?

As far as Crabtree running at the Combine goes, I might think his ankle injuries will factor in his decision. He was never truly healthy for most of the season, at least since the A&M game.

BeerBaron
01-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I see a mini-Fitzgerald in crabs. I predicted in the other thread he'd get under 4.5 (even just barely) and I'll stick to it.

I'd LOVE to have him on my Bears.

Flyboy
01-09-2009, 05:16 PM
I'd LOVE to have him on my Bears.

Ewwww. Then, I couldn't cheer for him. :(

Sloopy
01-09-2009, 06:46 PM
You can definitely see that Crabtree's stride could use some work. That's a quick indicator that once he goes to a training facility, they should be able to shave some seconds off his 40-time.
If he think he can manage a 40-dash under 4.5 (even if it's just 4.49), he should do it. It would be a goodwill workout.

This is true... there is a reason why the NFL game is faster, guys learn how to run properly in the NFL and that may be just what Crabtree needs

p.s. i like BeerBarrons comparison to Fitzgerald they both have great skill sets

Paranoidmoonduck
01-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm not really suggesting that Crabtree will become a faster football player, but I can definitely see where he can become a faster sprinter off the field. One of the best things about Crabtree is how fluid his running style is, because it allows him to make small moves that keep defenders from getting a bead on him. It doesn't lend itself to straight line speed, and that's just part of his game.