PDA

View Full Version : Will the (RS) Sophomores fall in the draft?

holt_bruce81
01-09-2009, 07:22 PM
I know players like Crabtree, Maclin, Bradford and LeSean McCoy have 1st round talent. But due to the fact that they are all only Sophomores does that hurt them in the Drafting process? I just go back to Sidney Rice and Ko Simpson a few years ago. Both were projected to go way higher than they actually went I believe. Those are the two examples that are in my head right now, not many Sophomores come out.

Not saying Their going to just free fall in the draft, but I could definitely see Bradford on the Board in the early part of the 2nd round when pretty much everyone has him locked in as a top 5 pick.

Babylon
01-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I think the league would like to see more than 2 years on the field. Does that mean they subconciously downgrade anyone because of it i doubt it. As for a Sam Bradford, most likely his stock is much higher if he comes back for a year but only because he needs to work on his game.

SuperKevin
01-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I know players like Crabtree, Maclin, Bradford and LeSean McCoy have 1st round talent. But due to the fact that they are all only Sophomores does that hurt them in the Drafting process? I just go back to Sidney Rice and Ko Simpson a few years ago. Both were projected to go way higher than they actually went I believe. Those are the two examples that are in my head right now, not many Sophomores come out.

Not saying Their going to just free fall in the draft, but I could definitely see Bradford on the Board in the early part of the 2nd round when pretty much everyone has him locked in as a top 5 pick.

Didn't Ko Simpson drop because he ran slower than expected though?

georgiafan
01-09-2009, 07:35 PM
I could see Moreno droping to late 1st/early 2nd with a slow 40 time.

holt_bruce81
01-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Ran a 4.45.....not to bad.

Pokeys
01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Makes me wonder if Sidney Rice is going to pick up his game and make a name for himself at the pro level.

I could definitely see McCoy dropping to the 2nd even though hes got a enormous talent, unless he runs a 4.25 which he did a couple years ago. I know those times are skewed but its a 4.25 nonetheless. Maclin is a 2nd rounder no question in my opinion, you heard it here first.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
01-09-2009, 08:26 PM

Ko bombed his interviews.. A bunch of teams were turned off after talking to him.

He was ranked pretty highly on the Bears board until they sat down with him. This was the year the Bears took Danieal Manning in the 2nd round and apparently were coveting Ko before the interviews. He ended up being completely removed from the Bears big board.

I bet a bunch of other teams removed him as well. He definitely fell pretty hard on draft day.

Bruce Banner
01-09-2009, 08:29 PM
"What do you think about insert so and so defensive philosophy?"

"I'll be worth millions!!!!!!"

"That's not wha-"
"MILLIONS!"

http://assets.buffalobills.com/uploads/players/8649367E61BA4F878884A8FE70E14DE6.jpg

LonghornsLegend
01-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Bradford won't go to the 2nd, I don't think everyone has him as a top 5 or 10 lock either...He could have a fall, but some scouts are really high on him, as will another team, so if anything you will see a team trading back up to get him, but no way will he last till the 2nd round, he's generally seen as the 2nd best QB at worst, and the highest rated QB by some.

Sidney Rice was completely raw and all potential coming out, he hadn't really produced like alot of other prospects, I don't think he really "slid" so to speak, he had alot of questions about him(the offense he was in, inexperience) but he was taken around the right spot...Some people felt he would go late 1st, early 2nd, he wasn't far off from there, but his potential was sky high coming out.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 11:43 PM
I'll be sitting in my living room on April 25th, praying Bradford free falls. Right to number 23!!!

Bruce Banner
01-09-2009, 11:47 PM
I'll be sitting in my living room on April 25th, praying Bradford free falls. Right to number 23!!!

when this kid is rumored to be the penciled in starter.....

http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00022/C4S_bucsjosh050508_22193d.jpg

He won't fall past 19.

hagy34
01-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Hahaha. Why not? I'm sure that kid is better than TJack. Let us have Bradford.

Bruce Banner
01-09-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm sure that kid is better than TJack.

One of those are born every minute.

Zyro_1014
01-10-2009, 12:59 AM

He won't fall past 19.

Josh was a stud in college, i think he could be a good QB but i dont think he will ever get the chance if Bradford falls to them.

toonsterwu
01-10-2009, 08:25 AM

I don't think anyone of them will be hurt because of their sophomore status. If Crabtree falls, I think it's because of poor 40 times. I'm not huge on Bradford, and considering recent trends, I could see Bradford or Stafford slipping a bit.

Of the four you've named, I'd guess McCoy has the best chance of falling a bit, but that's more due to position than anything. With Moreno in front of him, and with Wells a better fit for some teams, I can see McCoy perhaps slipping to the 2nd (assuming that he's solid in all the other areas - if he struggles in interviews or something, that changes the dynamics).

That said, I see all four sticking in the first. This isn't a great draft, IMO, at the top, and prime talent should come off the board.

Big_Pete
01-10-2009, 08:59 AM
It depends on what you are expecting out of rookies.

If the NFL team expect the rookie to come in and start right away then perhaps juniors and r/s sophmores many be downgraded a little.

Many teams expect rookies to come in and develop behind/compete with veteran players.

In either event it won't make too much difference, it still comes down to what tools/abilities they bring to the table and how well they learn/adjust to the NFL.

NFL scouts know their stuff and will know what value a player should have from their team's point of view.

The wildcard will be the lottery that is the draft. Rather than where players should go, it comes down to each team's invidual perception of the best players available when they are on the clock, what abilities he he has and how he fits in with the philosphy/schemes of that particular team. It gets really complex when you factor in variables like the depth of talent available for each position.

For example, we know there will be alot more than 32 picks with legitimate first round talent. We don't know which ones will make it and where they will go. The best anyone has is an eductaed guess.

Iamcanadian
01-10-2009, 09:06 AM
That is what the combine is all about. The scouts have followed and documented the seniors for 4 maybe 5 years. They have a very full dossier on every senior in the draft. However juniors, sophs who are eligible and players coming from smaller programs all have a lot to gain at the combine or on pro days. They aren't nearly the finished products that seniors are and scouts don't waste a whole lot of time scouting them till they declare. the dossiers on these prospect is only half completed and they are the groups which have the most to gain or lose at the combine or pro days.
Right now many players in these groups are ranked lower because the info on them is sketchy. Scouts and now GM's will be looking at them very closely from every aspect to see how they match up with the better prospects in the draft. They can make immense leaps up draft boards if they perform well at the combine or pro day or they can drop like lead if they fail.
So the only problem RS sophs have is that in most cases they start out ranked lower that a lot of other prospects but the process leading up to the draft can easily make up the difference if they have talent.

Big_Pete
01-10-2009, 09:09 AM
So the only problem RS sophs have is that in most cases they start out ranked lower that a lot of other prospects but the process leading up to the draft can easily make up the difference if they have talent.

Nicely put :)

BBIB
01-11-2009, 06:11 PM

He won't fall past 19.

Josh Johnson put up numbers in college that kids can't even put up in High School. Hell you can't even put those numbers up on 7 on 7.

He was a much better QB at the D-1AA level than Jackson. That kid deserves a shot

etk
01-11-2009, 08:04 PM

He won't fall past 19.

I sure hope not. Bradford screams Brian Griese to me....

SuperKevin
01-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Josh Johnson put up numbers in college that kids can't even put up in High School. Hell you can't even put those numbers up on 7 on 7.

He was a much better QB at the D-1AA level than Jackson. That kid deserves a shot

For once I agree with BBIB. I saw Josh Johnson play in person at USD. Definately looked like a QB to me. He may have pidgeonholed himself with that insane 40 time he ran in Indy though.

rockio42
01-12-2009, 08:36 AM
didnt the guy have like 30+ TDs and only like 1 INT his senior year...I don't care if you are freaking DIII that is disgusting

Buttered toast sonic
01-12-2009, 09:49 AM
if anything, for McCoy and Moreno, the RS should improve their stock, considering RB's limited shelf life, the less work in college, the more you can do in the pros.

that being said, Crabtree I wouldn't be shocked if he fell, considering WR is a high risk position and He's only played 2 years in a system that benefits WR's. Bradford, though I do like him better than stafford, would be served coming back if only to get more starts.

wicket
01-12-2009, 11:42 AM
he wont fall past 14 cause for sure the saints are gonna trade their pick away to someone who wants him, if there arent that many takers it could go kinda cheap as well but we need the extra picks and what better way than to hang out a great qb prospect for someone to bite.

etk
01-12-2009, 03:43 PM
For once I agree with BBIB. I saw Josh Johnson play in person at USD. Definately looked like a QB to me. He may have pidgeonholed himself with that insane 40 time he ran in Indy though.

I was on BBIB's side before the draft about Johnson being anything but a "project QB/sleeper" and what not....but that's exactly what he's played like so far in Tampa. He's not ready to be a starter...physically or mentally, but he's young and capable of improvement.