PDA

View Full Version : Which teams COULD take a QB in round 1?

AtariBigby
01-11-2009, 12:31 PM
After seeing Delhomme throw their season away last night, who knows. How old is Jake?

Which of these teams do YOU think Could (I''m not saying will or should):

-Lions
-Chiefs (shouldn't)
-Vikings
-Seahawks (Hasselbeck is 34, I think)
-Buccanneers (I think Gruden likes to have 5+ QBs always, who's their franchise QB?)
-Panthers
-Rams (Bulger has had the sense KO'd outta his head with 2many concussions)

Any other long shots, and what odds would you put on each of these teams?

I think Tyler Thigpen is good enough for the Chefs that they ought to go with him and build the team.
I think Seattle is a wildcard here. All of you guys seem to have them taking Crabtree, but if they can get their franchise QB this year and let him learn for a year or two under Hasselbeck, that would be smart in that offense. Plus like Atlanta, new coach + new QB.... ties together well sometimes. Same with Baltimore.

AkiliSmith
01-11-2009, 12:44 PM
The Panthers traded this year's first round pick to the Eagles, so they have to wait until round two to take a quarterback

I wouldn't be shocked to see San Fran take a quarterback. Shaun Hill is not a long term solution, and isn't very good to begin with.

SimonRath
01-11-2009, 12:54 PM
its pretty much guaranteed that the lions will draft a QB. Most likely in the 1st round.

TheGM
01-11-2009, 12:54 PM
assuming some freak slide by one of the two QB's worth a round one pick I would add the Bears, Jets, Dolphins, and Cards.

Babylon
01-11-2009, 12:56 PM
The Panthers traded this year's first round pick to the Eagles, so they have to wait until round two to take a quarterback

I wouldn't be shocked to see San Fran take a quarterback. Shaun Hill is not a long term solution, and isn't very good to begin with.

I agree with San Fran, I think a Mark Sanchez would look real good at that #10 spot. Tampa Bay would be a sleeper team to take a QB, I doubt they could get to the top of the draft but someone like a Sam Bradford or a Sanchez could drop to them and they would probably be wise to take a QB there.Their philosophy seems to be one that doesnt value the position but stranger things have happened.

keylime_5
01-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Potentially:
Lions
Rams
Chiefs
Seahawks
Jaguars (not likely)
49ers
Jets
Bears
Buccaneers (not likely)
Vikings

regoob2
01-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I think it's unlikely but the Bears could.

Iamcanadian
01-11-2009, 01:04 PM
San Fran, Chicago, Jets, Dophins and possibly the Cardinals if they have given up on Leinart. Philly if the opportunity presented itself as I seriously doubt Kolb is the future.

You can add these to the list of:

Vikings
Detroit
KC
Seahawks
Panthers
Tampa

So there are possibly 12 teams that wouldn't turn thumbs down if the opportunity presented itself.

SKim172
01-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I thought Matt Moore looked good back in '07 for the Panthers.

Do the Chiefs consider Thigpen a long-term answer?

woodyx02
01-11-2009, 01:43 PM

There is a ZERO percent chance the Niners take a QB with the 10 pick. Shaun Hill isnt very good? What? He has a plus .500 record has a started with an ok O-line and young receivers. He had 13 tds with 8 picks and completes over 60% of his passes last year. What more do you want from the guy?

kmartin575
01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
As a Chiefs fan I don't see why the Chiefs shouldn't. The Chiefs had to switch to the spread to make Thigpen successful and he still trailed off and didn't look very good at all in the last month or so of the season. I wouldn't reach for a quarterback if the team doesn't give a good evaluation to whoever is available but I would pounce on a guy like Stafford or MAYBE Bradford if either is given a good evaluation by the team and is available. Thigpen is not somebody who you pass on a potential franchise quarterback for.

Plus, who else should the Chiefs take that high? Branden Albert did excellent at left tackle and therefor I would not be a fan of taking a tackle at #3 because he would likely be put at right tackle. I don't see any DE's worth that high of a pick. There aren't any Calvin Johnson's at WR in this years draft. Linebackers are rarely worth a top 5 pick IMO and I don't see any worth it this year. If one is available QB is the most logical choice for the Chiefs IMO.

BeerBaron
01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I think it's unlikely but the Bears could.

And not Bradford. No no no. We can't develop a spread guy....It'd need to be Stafford or Sanchez out of pro style schemes.

AtariBigby
01-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Why would the Dolphins?
Chad Henne is a potential franchise QB. Did something tragic happen to him off the field that I am not aware of?

Shawn Hill has played well enough to go with for the season for sure. With a new OC, we'll see how he does.

This article mentions Brett Favre to Carolina as a possility. And Delhomme is 34 by the way. http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl?eref=fromSI

Shane P. Hallam
01-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I thought Matt Moore looked good back in '07 for the Panthers.

Do the Chiefs consider Thigpen a long-term answer?

Matt Moore isn't even their back-up. He was deactivated yesterday.

And guys, this thread is COULD. So saying there is no way the Dolphins, 49ers, or Bears could is a bit much. They definitely could look that way.

I'm also going to toss in the Jets with a new coach. If Favre retires and the new staff doesn't like Clemens.

Babylon
01-11-2009, 02:03 PM

And guys, this thread is COULD. So saying there is no way the Dolphins, 49ers, or Bears could is a bit much. They definitely could look that way.

I'm also going to toss in the Jets with a new coach. If Favre retires and the new staff doesn't like Clemens.

I could see the Jets even trying to trade up, they might even throw Vernon Gholston in as a sweetner.

Shane P. Hallam
01-11-2009, 02:07 PM
No team would take Gholston and that contract with no production to look at.

AkiliSmith
01-11-2009, 02:09 PM
There is a ZERO percent chance the Niners take a QB with the 10 pick. Shaun Hill isnt very good? What? He has a plus .500 record has a started with an ok O-line and young receivers. He had 13 tds with 8 picks and completes over 60% of his passes last year. What more do you want from the guy?
Do you think Shaun Hill is a franchise quarterback?

They could certainly improve at quarterback. Not saying they will, but like the thread says, they COULD.

woodyx02
01-11-2009, 02:36 PM
I think Shaun Hill COULD be a franchise QB but because Nolon was a dope and started JT turnover machine we really didnt get to see Hill all year. But this year and last year when Hill played he looked really good. So to say "Shaun Hill is not a long term solution, and isn't very good to begin with." is asinine. If you watched the Niners play towards the end of the year you would agree that Hill at least earned the respect of Niner personal to NOT even consider a QB that high. I know that the forum is teams that COULD take a QB. Im trying to set you guys straight from a 49er perspective and tell you the niners are as likely to take a QB in the 1st round as the Patriots.

AkiliSmith
01-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I think Shaun Hill COULD be a franchise QB but because Nolon was a dope and started JT turnover machine we really didnt get to see Hill all year. But this year and last year when Hill played he looked really good. So to say "Shaun Hill is not a long term solution, and isn't very good to begin with." is asinine. If you watched the Niners play towards the end of the year you would agree that Hill at least earned the respect of Niner personal to NOT even consider a QB that high. I know that the forum is teams that COULD take a QB. Im trying to set you guys straight from a 49er perspective and tell you the niners are as likely to take a QB in the 1st round as the Patriots.
Sorry but that last part is insane.

Brady and Cassell >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hill

If your happy with mediocre that's fine I guess.

Shane P. Hallam
01-11-2009, 02:40 PM

It was more Martz's preference for JT that did it.

Babylon
01-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Sorry but that last part is insane.

Brady and Cassell >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hill

If your happy with mediocre that's fine I guess.

Must be a young crowd following the Niners these days because most QBs there were always measured against Montana and Young.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Moore's upside is Jake Delhomme without the tunnel vision for Smith. That's decent, but if the opportunity to take a legit QB presented itself they'd be fools not to take it

With the first pick in the 60s this year...that opportunity wont be there this year

IceKubes
01-11-2009, 03:37 PM
No team would take Gholston and that contract with no production to look at.

A little OT but in NFL trades I thought the team that trades a player away absorbs all of his signing bonus. If that was the case his contract would be much more reasonable for the team that gets him but the deal would likely be impossible because of the cap hit the Jets would take from paying the remainder of his bonus. Does it work differently than this?

Babylon
01-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Moore's upside is Jake Delhomme without the tunnel vision for Smith. That's decent, but if the opportunity to take a legit QB presented itself they'd be fools not to take it

With the first pick in the 60s this year...that opportunity wont be there this year

They should start reading up on Rhett Bomar.

grushcow
01-11-2009, 03:56 PM

no its not, when you draft a player who is in line to be the future (Henne) and you have a history of going defense there is no concievable way that the Dolphins COULD take a quarterback. The other 2 on the otherhand is within reason but not in the first round. Jets make sense.

Michigan
01-11-2009, 04:02 PM

If you include the Dolphins, who currently have an MVP candidate and a highly touted first day pick at QB, you might as well include all 32 teams.

gsorace
01-11-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm riding shotgun on the Brett Ratliff bandwagon. I hope the Jets don't take a QB round 1