PDA

View Full Version : Predict Al Davis' draft day follies

Sloopy
01-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Ok so we all know that Al Davis can be rather unconventional if you will when it comes to the draft and in doing so can sometimes be hard to predict so I pose the question: What will be Al's new prized specimen in the first round come the first day of the draft. ( I know its early and there are still players who could declare but go with what we've got)

I personally see Crabtree falling to them and Al inevitably picking him up

Sniper
01-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Michael Johnson could be a crazy pick from Al.

It's gentlemen, by the way, not gentlmen.

Sloopy
01-11-2009, 02:28 PM

Damn and thats in my sig nice catch

katnip
01-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Tim Tebow 1st round

Sniper
01-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Tim Tebow 1st round

Announced he was staying in school today.

woodyx02
As a Niner fan that covets Taylor Mays i could see AL taking him allowing Huff to move to NB. That would really make me upset.

AkiliSmith
Tim Tebow 1st round
That would be absolutely insane because Tebow said he was returning for his Senior season.

Shane P. Hallam
01-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Michael Johnson could happen. Maybe he'll just take Taylor Mays.

Sloopy
01-11-2009, 02:33 PM
As a Niner fan that covets Taylor Mays i could see AL taking him allowing Huff to move to NB. That would really make me upset.

I pondered this as well but I didn't think Taylor Mays had declared yet

Babylon
01-11-2009, 02:33 PM

He got burned years ago by taking Aundray Bruce at the top of the draft, even Al isnt that stupid.

the decider13
01-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Jeremy Maclin or Michael Johnson would be very Al Davis moves. This thread will be easier after the combine. Got to wait and see who has blazing speed or tons of reps.

Taylor Mays could happen too...he is one of the biggest athletic freaks in the draft.

Babylon
01-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Jeremy Maclin or Michael Johnson would be very Al Davis moves. This thread will be easier after the combine. Got to wait and see who has blazing speed or tons of reps.

Taylor Mays could happen too...he is one of the biggest athletic freaks in the draft.

Taylor Mays going 7th to the Raiders would hardly be a strange pick.

the decider13
01-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Taylor Mays going 7th to the Raiders would hardly be a strange pick.

It isnt really all about strange picks...I wouldnt be shocked to see crabtree at #7 and that was in the OP.

Sloopy
01-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Its not that they are strange picks just unconventional for example they would probably best suited taking an O-lineman but they will inevitably take someone like Mays or Crabtree

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-11-2009, 03:13 PM
We actually need a WR.And Crabtrees a great prospect.

Splat
01-11-2009, 03:17 PM
We actually need a WR.And Crabtrees a great prospect.

With him all ready off the board I say Jeremy Maclin.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-11-2009, 05:14 PM
That would be absolutely insane because Tebow said he was returning for his Senior season.

Don't rule it out lol. But if you all want WTF similar to Ted Ginn don't be shocked to see Al with the 7th pick take Percy Harvin. All Al will know about Harvin is that he did great in the national championship and ran a sub 4.3 forty. Someone will tell him he's like Reggie Bush and he'll bite.

Buc Baller12
01-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Darius Heyward Bey. Davis is gonna be drooling over this guy after Bey puts up some crazy workout numbers.

WMD
01-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Don't rule it out lol. But if you all want WTF similar to Ted Ginn don't be shocked to see Al with the 7th pick take Percy Harvin. All Al will know about Harvin is that he did great in the national championship and ran a sub 4.3 forty. Someone will tell him he's like Reggie Bush and he'll bite.

Dammit, I was gonna say Percy.. I still will, but I wanted to be the first.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Darius Heyward Bey. Davis is gonna be drooling over this guy after Bey puts up some crazy workout numbers.

Exactly who I was thinking. It just makes too much sense.

...and..no sense.

Twiddler
01-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Predict his picks? Well, then give me a poster of all the draft prospects and some darts. Should be as close as I'll ever get.

RaiderNation
01-11-2009, 06:13 PM
I see us either going OT(hopefully) or reaching on a WR like Maclin or DHB

hagy34
01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Crabtree or Maclin.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-11-2009, 06:47 PM
I think that not drafting a left tackle would be an immediate mistake, and that is looking more and more likely.

Turtlepower
01-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Austin Colliezzzzzzz.

Cigaro
01-11-2009, 06:49 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0edO7ojgYK0iv/340x.jpg

A Perfect Score
01-11-2009, 06:51 PM
whoever runs the fastest 40

Young Legend
01-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Any of the top CB's with the 7th pick.Ughhhh I would rather reach on Maclin then take a CB.

Zyro_1014
01-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Mays or DHB...maybe Michael Johnson.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-12-2009, 12:07 AM
I don't see Johnson as being a likely candidate. He's a good athlete, but he's not so much more talented than either Orakpo or Brown or even Hardy that he would somehow stand out to even the physically slanted scouting of the Raiders.

WMD
01-12-2009, 12:17 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0edO7ojgYK0iv/340x.jpg

Graham Gano is a freakin beast!

Diehard
01-12-2009, 12:30 AM
I don't see Johnson as being a likely candidate. He's a good athlete, but he's not so much more talented than either Orakpo or Brown or even Hardy that he would somehow stand out to even the physically slanted scouting of the Raiders.

Agreed... in fact, the numbers Orakpo puts up may be good enough, combined with his college production, to get Al's attention. WR and LT are probably bigger needs, but the Raiders could certainly do worse than Orakpo (assuming he's still there when they pick, which is certainly not a given).

Unbiased
01-12-2009, 12:40 AM
I really think he'd take Malcom Jenkins if he's at #7. It seems like Al Davis loves using high picks on DBs.

NIN1984
01-12-2009, 12:53 AM
Taylor Mays or Malcom Jenkins.

Michael Huff is on his way out and Hiram Eugene ended the season at FS, so Raiders need a upgrade there.

Al's Big Board
1. Taylor Mays
2. Malcolm Jenkins
3. Fastest WR

Crickett
01-12-2009, 01:03 AM
Michael Huff is on his way out and Hiram Eugene ended the season at FS, so Raiders need a upgrade there.

Can someone explain to me what happened to Michael Huff?

Zyro_1014
01-12-2009, 02:48 AM
Can someone explain to me what happened to Michael Huff?

They think hes a SS, which he is most certainly not. They ask him to constantly play in the box and focus on the run, which is not his strength. When Huff came out he coulda easily played Corner, and thats because he has the ability to get the ball. Hes a ball hawk, and a great FS. hes not a strong safety.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-12-2009, 03:00 AM
They think hes a SS, which he is most certainly not. They ask him to constantly play in the box and focus on the run, which is not his strength. When Huff came out he coulda easily played Corner, and thats because he has the ability to get the ball. Hes a ball hawk, and a great FS. hes not a strong safety.

This is false. Oakland gave Huff this entire past season to make things work at free safety, but he was constantly outplayed by former undrafted defensive backs.

Huff is a strong safety. It's what he was at Texas and it's what he's most suited for. The problem is that he can't tackle and he can't disengage from blocks. And he doesn't have the hips to be a cornerback either. He's going to be a special teams player for Oakland, at best.

SuperKevin
01-12-2009, 07:50 AM
His 2008 Draft wasn't bad by any means. McFadden fought injuries but still looked like a future star and he had some late round steals in Trevor Scott and Chaz Schilens.

teneight
01-12-2009, 09:55 AM
His 2008 Draft wasn't bad by any means. McFadden fought injuries but still looked like a future star and he had some late round steals in Trevor Scott and Chaz Schilens.

and the 2007 draft is turning out to be a good draft as well:

jamarcus russell: def. showed signs of improvent
zach miller: one of the most underrated TE in the league
michael bush: straight out steal in the 4th round.
mario henderson: played very well in the second half of the season
j. lee higgins: starting to show signs of huge playmaking abilities
oren o'neal: beast FB who is a huge reason for our success at rushing the ball...who was injured for the season.

Sniper
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
michael bush: straight out steal in the 4th round.

To think the Eagles could have had him instead of Tony Hunt...

PACKmanN
01-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Announced he was staying in school today.

guess he didn't want to play for the Raiders, lol ;) I say they draft Crabtree.

Crickett
01-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Sounds like they should work out some kind of deal to send him to Dallas and get Roy Williams and something else back.

JohnCandy
01-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I would be alright with Michael Johnson the guy has more potential and physical ability then anyone in the draft.

Honestly I think it will be Percy Harvin as crazy as that sounds speed and scoring ability.

Komp
01-12-2009, 01:30 PM
The Raiders will draft an OT, DE or Crabtree, with a lineman being far and away the favorite.

CC.SD
01-12-2009, 01:32 PM
I really think he'd take Malcom Jenkins if he's at #7. It seems like Al Davis loves using high picks on DBs.

Close, but the pick will inexplicably be Vontae Davis.

AntoinCD
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Aaron Maybin. I think Davis will fall in love with his potential and pick him over Everette Brown. I think it would be a little silly as well since they have bigger needs, Maybin projects better as a rush LBer and it will take him time to bulk up. Monroe or Smith should be the pick

bitonti
01-12-2009, 01:56 PM
almost everyone who bashes Al Davis has less Super Bowl rings than Al Davis.

Iamcanadian
01-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Ok so we all know that Al Davis can be rather unconventional if you will when it comes to the draft and in doing so can sometimes be hard to predict so I pose the question: What will be Al's new prized specimen in the first round come the first day of the draft. ( I know its early and there are still players who could declare but go with what we've got)

The only question about Crabtree is his speed. Al loves speed and WR's who can go deep, so Crabtree isn't likely to be Davis's pick. Unless Crabtree shocks the scouts and runs in the 4.40 range, there is no way Al drafts him.
Maclin or Harvin if Al goes WR. OT is far more likely IMO.

Borat
01-12-2009, 03:10 PM
You just know Al will be sitting there, interfering and trying to run the war-room, mumbling to himself and the team will be forced to listen to him and will eventually pick some guy named "Pooped MyPants"

Brent
01-12-2009, 07:15 PM
some guy named "Pooped MyPants"
Then he will throw a telephone at whoever his new coach is while screaming about some meddling kids.

CC.SD
01-12-2009, 07:18 PM
almost everyone who bashes Al Davis has less Super Bowl rings than Al Davis.

But you have to balance that out with the fact that very few of them are some kind of zombie/vampire hybrid like Davis.

Zyro_1014
01-12-2009, 07:20 PM
The Raiders will draft an OT, DE or Crabtree, with a lineman being far and away the favorite.

you talk like Al Davis always drafts the right position...

romani
01-12-2009, 07:21 PM
That would be absolutely insane because Tebow said he was returning for his Senior season.hahaha I can see Al drafting him anyway. LOL

bitonti
01-13-2009, 08:52 AM
But you have to balance that out with the fact that very few of them are some kind of zombie/vampire hybrid like Davis.

lol

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/bradcymru/aldavis.jpg

gdamac
01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Just fast 40s, baby

awfullyquiet
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
al davis drafts vernon davis
don't ask how. or why. just smile and nod so he doesn't suck your brains out.

Zyro_1014
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
lol

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/bradcymru/aldavis.jpg

i wonder if he knows that hes an idiot lol

Dark Knight01
01-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Before it was reported that Mays plans on staying in school, I was thinking the old man would take Mays if Crabtree was not there at #7.

Now that it seems Mays will stay at USC, I can see the old man looking at Everette Brown instead.

Dark Knight01
01-13-2009, 05:49 PM

Thats what I have broken it down to as well.

It will be OT (Oher) DE (Everette Brown) WR (Crabtree)

NIPS
01-14-2009, 10:02 PM

Were you the same guy that laughed at al Davis when he traded up into the late 1st rd to select Nnmandi Asomugha?

The best CB in the NFL?

Crickett
01-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Were you the same guy that laughed at al Davis when he traded up into the late 1st rd to select Nnmandi Asomugha?

The best CB in the NFL?

Traded up into the late 1st rd to select Nnmandi Asomugha. Holy ****, Al Davis is apparently clairvoyant. He knew the year before when he got the Buccaneers 2003 1st round draft pick in part for coach Jon Gruden, that Nnamdi Asomugha would be there at the end of the first round of the 2003 NFL draft.

The man should be president. He can see the future.

cdmPSU17
01-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Al's going to take the fastest 40 time. Not the player, just the time. Which will almost certainly result in Roger Goodell giving poor old senile Al "another pick," and he will attempt to take Sam Bradford, then Taylor Mays, then Tyler Hansbrough (He LOVES his intensity), at which point ESPN, attempting to capture a possibly uncomfortable moment with the former Raiders head coach, will inadvertedly televise Lane Kiffin's death due to excessive and uncontrollable laughter.

Really, I think the Raiders will take Crabtree if he's available. And if Al comes to his senses (and Crabtree's not there), they'll take the best left tackle left (Oher or Monroe).