PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to attend the 2009 NFL Draft

ESimsfan87
01-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Hey everyone I am a Lions fan in college who wants to attend the draft with two of my college roommates. Working out the mileage from our college in Michigan we estimated that it would be cheaper

I know that the tickets arent really sold and are given away on a first come first basis but any sort of feedback people could provide on the following would be excellent.

*seating inside Radio City
*accessibility to players in attendence
*accessibility to tv talent
*when you attended the draft and if last year with the time change when did you arrive.
*if contacting a team official would be the best course of making sure you can get tickets
*if traveling from multiple states like I would be doing, would you do it again. Obviously I love all things draft related but does the down time get too boring or anything.
*if standing in line for tickets any sort of info you could provide.
*best parking near Radio City

Any help or insight you could provide would be terrific.
Thanks.

ESimsfan87
01-11-2009, 11:55 PM
I am gonna edit my last post and add correct the sentence that says be cheaper and finish it with cheaper to drive than to fly. I know its dorky but it just didnt make sense.

WMD
01-11-2009, 11:57 PM
Haven't ever attended the draft.. but I do know that if you stay through the whole thing, I think they give you a pass to the next years draft.

Crickett
01-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Haven't ever attended the draft.. but I do know that if you stay through the whole thing, I think they give you a pass to the next years draft.

If you stay for all of day two and fill out the form, they mail it to you.

CashmoneyDrew
01-12-2009, 12:05 AM
If you stay for all of day two and fill out the form, they mail it to you.

That's pretty sweet, but to be honest I'm a lazy son of a *****. Therefore, I will always love just laying out on the couch and eating loads of unhealthy foods while watching the draft on T.V.

Maybe one day I will build up the fortitude to attend the NFL draft, but it's not looking like anytime soon.

gpngc
01-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Hey everyone I am a Lions fan in college who wants to attend the draft with two of my college roommates. Working out the mileage from our college in Michigan we estimated that it would be cheaper

I know that the tickets arent really sold and are given away on a first come first basis but any sort of feedback people could provide on the following would be excellent.

*when you attended the draft and if last year with the time change when did you arrive.
*if contacting a team official would be the best course of making sure you can get tickets
*if traveling from multiple states like I would be doing, would you do it again. Obviously I love all things draft related but does the down time get too boring or anything.

Thanks.

Without media credentials you will not have access to players or tv personalities. Unless by access you mean yelling at Mel Kiper and having him turn around and wave. You're seats will be in the upper level while only the media is on the floor.

If you can get media credentials you walk past the huge line and walk right in. If not, I'd guess you would have to arrive about 4-5 hours before to avoid waiting on a long, long line.

I imagine parking would be a nightmare and you'd probably have to pay 10-20$ to get a space in a garage walking distance away from Radio City.

The time does get way too boring. I had a computer the two years I went and it was still long and boring. I can't even imagine sitting among the crowds just waiting with nothing to do. I definitely recommend watching on TV rather than going through all that hassle unless you have another reason to go to NY that weekend.

Crickett
01-12-2009, 12:25 AM
That's pretty sweet, but to be honest I'm a lazy son of a *****. Therefore, I will always love just laying out on the couch and eating loads of unhealthy foods while watching the draft on T.V.

Maybe one day I will build up the fortitude to attend the NFL draft, but it's not looking like anytime soon.

IMO, it was better when it was at MSG and the Javitz center. I went there the first year it was at Radio City. After they didn't allow us to bring food in the second day, I didn't go back.

Its one thing to not allow people to bring food in to a performance thats 2-3 or even 4 hours. But the draft is 8-10 hours and thats a long time to go only on overpriced hotdogs and cups of soda. And by cups of soda, I mean they take a 20 once bottle of soda, pour most of it into a cup, and hand it to you.

ESimsfan87
01-12-2009, 12:28 AM
I gotta admit some of this is a little depressing so far...

ManOverboard
01-12-2009, 01:57 AM
DON'T GO.

Just have a party with a bunch of your friends at your house and have a pool where you all do a mock and pitch in some money for a pot and whoever gets the most right gets the pot. It's a lot more fun and less stressful.

jayceheathman
01-12-2009, 02:49 AM
I havent been but from watching the draft it seems like the players, their families, the teams, and media get the lower section while the fans are up top. It deosnt seem like players or anyone on tv would be accessible. I dont think you should worry about parking since it is NYC and they have the most complex subway system ever. Pay the fee and I doubt its too far from the nearest station. I heard that they line up really early too but I dont know for sure.

anakin
01-12-2009, 04:31 AM
I went two years ago and it was a blast! My two buddies and I waited from 8:30 pm the night before. Tickets did not go out until 6 am the next day. There were so many football fans there and we took turns sleeping on the sidewalk. Funny how I have never felt safer in my life. Yes if you can go the full day on the second day to get the ticket sent to you is best so you don't have to wait all night. I met Adam Scheffner walking by the line around 11pm on the Friday night. And yes you can get the TV guys attention during commercials when they are busy eating or primping. You are stuck on the balcony, but you are provided a radio to listen to either the NFLN or ESPN broadcast (which both are on great big TV screens for you to see. My friends and I went on the longest draft ever and stayed until after 11pm and I didn't find it boring at all. They provided you with a sheet with draft positions and players so you could keep along. The waiting all night was not fun, but I wear that as a badge of honor. In my opinion is the only thing that sucked is $5 hot dogs, $5 sodas, $5 candy, and $4 popcorn got old over 12 hours or so. The excitement of the Ginn surprise and the dropping of Quinn made it very enjoyable. I will be returning this year if that is worth anything.

initial_flo
01-12-2009, 05:03 AM

Have a draft party or go crazy at the bar if youre 21. Think about it, a bar full of your own angry Lions fans going nuts all boozed up when you make your picks. You might even get to see a riot or something if you guys actually do take Crabtree.

Save your money and go take a trip somewhere else more worthwhile.

That's how I'd rationalize it anyway.

Mykdaneck
01-12-2009, 06:53 AM
but it is something you will remember for a long time. Go and bring a book or 2 and have fun.

FloridaSkinzFan
01-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Hey everyone I am a Lions fan in college who wants to attend the draft

I'm sorry.

Splat
01-12-2009, 10:51 AM
I would rather watch it at home which is a good thing since I will never have a chance to go. :)

ThePudge
01-12-2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks.

Go for it. I've gone the past four years, since I was 15, and plan to attend #5 this upcoming April. It's a great time if you do it right.

Now, I never had to stand in the first-come, first-serve, ticket line. I was lucky enough to have VIP tickets my first two years and have gotten the "Day Two Diehard" tickets since. That being said, the line is both the toughest and riskiest part of going to the draft itself.

In the line you will likely be seated in one of the upper two balconies. Now, this is not necessarily a bad thing, but it's typical of the regulars to be on one of those first two levels, so you won't have the pleasure of talking to someone that has been to the draft multiple times.

Do not go expecting to meet or shake hands with any players. Before they are selected they are in the green room, and afterwards, following when they are picked, they are whisked away for interviews. You may get lucky, and the interview room is only downstairs at Radio City, but don't bank on it. You may see some former picks, I had pictures taken with Mario Williams a couple years back and saw Michael Strahan and Reggie Bush about an arm's length away.

You will be able to choose between NFL Network and ESPN's coverage of the draft. Both provide big screen TV's placed to the left and right of the stage itself. That is the TV coverage, you have a radio to decide which to tune into. Personally, I choose neither, I usually have a lot going on as far as discussion goes.

It is the best place in the world for talking intelligent football. A hot-spot for discussion, ****-talking, and heated arguments hah.

Food situation isn't the best as they won't let you bring it in, and offer only a low variety of food for high prices. I suggest you eat plenty before you get in there. The first day is shorter now, so you should be able to make it the whole time if you get lucky.

I had tickets when I arrived the past four years, so I was guaranteed a place. For advice concerning that type of thing, you'll want to look elsewhere. However, may I suggest, early rather than later. I have witnessed small lines starting at 9-10 PM the evening before. If that's the case, buy a case of beer for you and a buddy, sit in that line, talk football and pound.

It couldn't hurt to contact a team official, though I was only able to get my first two year tickets through a very reliable personal connection with the Philadelphia Eagles. I wouldn't count on it, but as I said, it can't hurt.

If you don't get it, the worst case scenario, I wouldn't panic. There are plenty of sports bars and the ESPN Zone around to watch with fans. Hundreds, perhaps, thousands of people every year don't get in, it's pretty exclusive. So, with that being said, the city will still be loaded with intelligent, though perhaps ill-informed and tired fans.

Either way, stay for the entire second day. It's long, but it's not overly crowded. You can walk right in. The best part of course is guaranteed tickets for staying for all of Day Two. It's a great time too as you can really mess with everyone (such as Kiper, Chris Carter, Jaws, and last year Trey Wingo.) The second day the guards are a bit more lenient, so sneaking food in becomes a real possibility.

I'll be back to tell you more, but for now I have to go to class.

Brent
01-12-2009, 11:55 AM

I hold this view point on going to events like the draft: I'm down, so long as I dont have to be the one driving.

Halsey
01-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Watching at home with a DVR is by far the best way to watch the Draft. I've never attended a single Draft, and I still have no doubt in my mind that sitting at home and being able to fast forward is by far superior.

ESimsfan87
01-12-2009, 03:23 PM
A few follow up questions mostly regarding NYC and Radio City.

For anyone that has parked around the neighborhood of Radio City, which parking garage did you use/recommend or should we just park neighborhoods away and take the subway.

Any food establishments/bars/places around 1-2 blocks from Radio City that you recommend. I went to NYC a couple years back and know that Times Square is pretty cool but can get pricey. Like I stated in my original post, Im in college, so any cheap but good place we could walk to while waiting would be ideal.

hagy34
01-12-2009, 03:55 PM
DON'T GO.

Just have a party with a bunch of your friends at your house and have a pool where you all do a mock and pitch in some money for a pot and whoever gets the most right gets the pot. It's a lot more fun and less stressful.

Agreed. Having a party is a lot more fun than going. Last year we had a party and actually played a drinking game involving guessing the 1st round picks. It was pretty fun.

whatadai
01-12-2009, 04:04 PM
If I were a Lions fan, I wouldn't go. They'll make a stupid pick right off the bat and ruin the whole draft for you. You'll probably leave pissed, bored, tired, hungry, and poor. Then you'll have to drive all the way back to Michigan.

anakin
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
A few follow up questions mostly regarding NYC and Radio City.

For anyone that has parked around the neighborhood of Radio City, which parking garage did you use/recommend or should we just park neighborhoods away and take the subway.

Any food establishments/bars/places around 1-2 blocks from Radio City that you recommend. I went to NYC a couple years back and know that Times Square is pretty cool but can get pricey. Like I stated in my original post, Im in college, so any cheap but good place we could walk to while waiting would be ideal.

We parked a couple of blocks away on a side street. In New York, it is all pretty much the same. We ate at the ESPN Zone the night before. There is a McDonald's that is open 24/7 that you can use to eat, go to the bathroom, etc. The vendors are out in the morning so hot dogs, gyros, etc. are not that far away. I have watched the draft at ESPN Zone as well, they had a requirement of spending $10 per hour while the draft was on.

ESimsfan87
02-24-2009, 11:50 AM
So here's the deal with me attending the draft: we're going.

Four of my college friends and me are going to drive from Mount Pleasant, MI (we go to Central Michigan University) all the way to Dover, NJ and board a commuter train and go into the city. When arriving we're going straight to ESPN Zone and getting a good meal/good time before the dreaded wait begins. According to mapquest, this should be at about 8 pm.

After that, we're going to do the whole Times Square thing by walking around for a few hours. By 2 am Saturday, we're going to find our place in the line and sleep. Or at least try.

After Saturday's festivities have died down, one of my buddies has a friend who just graduated from Michigan State and lives in Manhattan, that we're going to stay at.

Sunday we're going to watch rounds 3 and 4 and then for early part in the afternoon take a subway up to the new Yankee stadium and check it out.

I was just wondering how many of you on the forum will be in attendance and what you're gonna wear, so that we can have some superb draft talk.

I'm most likely going to wear the Reebok Barry Sanders throwback and there's going to be five of us.

Thought i would just follow up the original post I had with more info, plus the opportunity to hopefully meet some of you up at the draft.

Dark Knight01
02-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Watching at home with a DVR is by far the best way to watch the Draft. I've never attended a single Draft, and I still have no doubt in my mind that sitting at home and being able to fast forward is by far superior.

Without a doubt....plus you can have a draft pool with pals for the 1st round along with BBQ and drink....

Kase1
02-24-2009, 12:34 PM
OK ive lived in NYC my whole life and if ur gonna drive from outta state and stay over, stay/park in an outer borough or NJ, cause its gonna be cheap, parking will be easy 2 find. And they got trains (subways) that go literally everywhere in the city you can imagine of going, so find a cheap holiday inn in Jersey City or Brooklyn cause itll be cheap, nice, and easy (well easier) to park, cause parking in manhattan SUCKS, they got all these crazy rules bout parking or u gotta park in a overpriced garage

ThePudge
02-24-2009, 01:24 PM
I was just wondering how many of you on the forum will be in attendance and what you're gonna wear, so that we can have some superb draft talk.

I'm most likely going to wear the Reebok Barry Sanders throwback and there's going to be five of us.

I'm typically in my black Carson Palmer jersey and always sporting the new draft hat. I travel with a Packers fan. So the pair is not overly hard to pick out. We'll be on the lower level though, as we've been there four times already. I'll be sure to look out for the throwback.

ESimsfan87
02-24-2009, 02:56 PM
OK ive lived in NYC my whole life and if ur gonna drive from outta state and stay over, stay/park in an outer borough or NJ, cause its gonna be cheap, parking will be easy 2 find. And they got trains (subways) that go literally everywhere in the city you can imagine of going, so find a cheap holiday inn in Jersey City or Brooklyn cause itll be cheap, nice, and easy (well easier) to park, cause parking in manhattan SUCKS, they got all these crazy rules bout parking or u gotta park in a overpriced garage

Yeah we're going to be parking the car in New Jersey and taking a train over.

Some one mentioned about doing a first round mock draft pool. The five of us will be doing that as well, so as to keep competitive banter among us if it does get boring.(Probably won't though)

ThePudge
02-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Yeah we're going to be parking the car in New Jersey and taking a train over.

Some one mentioned about doing a first round mock draft pool. The five of us will be doing that as well, so as to keep competitive banter among us if it does get boring.(Probably won't though)

To inform you, because no one has yet: don't bother bringing too much materials with you to the draft itself. Perhaps your favorite draft magazine to see where the "experts" grade the players and a personal big board/positional rankings. They treat you pretty well...

At the draft you will receive a bag (a nice drawstring bag the past two years.) That bad will contain an official NFL folder which contains a first round mock draft pool that can be submitted beforehand for prizes, a nice sized pamphlet with a list of the draft order and teams, where you can simply write in the player when they are drafted. Also they will provide a big board, typically PFW's Top 100 or something, on a sheet of paper. In the bag will also be some football cards and a small radio and headphones that will allow you listen to NFLN's or ESPN's broadcast.

So, if you want to do a mock draft pool with your friends, good idea, but just so you know there is a pool to fill out there that enables you to win some very solid prizes. Betting on each pick before it happens is also a fun little game at the draft as everyone is always very eager in the first round.

ESimsfan87
02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
To inform you, because no one has yet: don't bother bringing too much materials with you to the draft itself. Perhaps your favorite draft magazine to see where the "experts" grade the players and a personal big board/positional rankings. They treat you pretty well...

At the draft you will receive a bag (a nice drawstring bag the past two years.) That bad will contain an official NFL folder which contains a first round mock draft pool that can be submitted beforehand for prizes, a nice sized pamphlet with a list of the draft order and teams, where you can simply write in the player when they are drafted. Also they will provide a big board, typically PFW's Top 100 or something, on a sheet of paper. In the bag will also be some football cards and a small radio and headphones that will allow you listen to NFLN's or ESPN's broadcast.

So, if you want to do a mock draft pool with your friends, good idea, but just so you know there is a pool to fill out there that enables you to win some very solid prizes. Betting on each pick before it happens is also a fun little game at the draft as everyone is always very eager in the first round.

Incredible... I'm so damn excited. I really can't wait.