PDA

View Full Version : Ahman Green to the Texans

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Per NFLnetwork...

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

This means they dont think Peterson will be there at #8, and hes not an option anymore im guessing. My guess turns to Brady Quinn?

Number 10
03-04-2007, 05:12 PM
You mean Ahman Green.......

And I want to see his contract figures because Rhodes did not sign with NYG because he wanted someone else to set the bar for RBs.

comahan
03-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Id say Landry, but thats my personal hope. I hate Brady Quinn :(

This is a solid signing. Sherman is here and definitely knows Ahman, I wont complain.

Windy
03-04-2007, 05:14 PM
good signing by the texans.

Shiver
03-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Good signing.

Dunta_23
03-04-2007, 05:18 PM
I still think youve gotta take AD at 8 if he happens to fall....I just think they want a quality player in place regardless of what happens in the draft....They cant bank on Domanick Williams coming back....

art vandelay
Great. Now this leaves either AD (unlikely, I know) or Marshawn for us.

RaiderNation
now its quinn or landry at 8.

WMD
03-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Good signing..

Geo
03-04-2007, 05:19 PM
http://www.upperdeckstore.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/cud43528.jpghttp://www.draftshowcase.com/MarshawnLynch.jpg

GB12
03-04-2007, 05:21 PM
http://www.upperdeckstore.com/Images/Catalog/ProductImages/cud43528.jpghttp://www.draftshowcase.com/MarshawnLynch.jpg

That gives it a much better chance, but I'm still not sure that's where TT will go.

Flyboy
03-04-2007, 05:22 PM
now its quinn or landry at 8.

Why? Green is not getting any younger by ANY means.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Wali Lundy>>>Any back they have.

princefielder28
03-04-2007, 05:23 PM
sorry to see Ahman leave Green Bay but they need a young back to come in anyways

art vandelay
03-04-2007, 05:23 PM
http://www.onlinesports.com/images/rid-30102.gifhttp://www.draftshowcase.com/MarshawnLynch.jpg

comahan
03-04-2007, 05:24 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4601378.html (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4601378.html)

The Texans have reached an agreement with their first free agent Green Bay running back Ahmad Green.

Green, 30, is signing a four-year contract worth $22 million, including $6.5 million in guarantees.

JoeMontainya
03-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Williams almost had 3 straight 1000 seasons with the worste Ol in football. hell be back this season.

Green is a good vet to have

Lundi isnt a bad back-up.

Theres no point in drafting AD with all the other needs.

21ST
03-04-2007, 05:25 PM
good signing, i think they should take Landry at 8 now.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-04-2007, 05:26 PM
sorry to see Ahman leave Green Bay but they need a young back to come in anyways

Young, lol.

Geo
03-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Holy smokes, Green's agent should get a medal.

art vandelay
03-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Wow...if nothing else that contract all but makes a RB at #8 a 0% chance.

WMD
03-04-2007, 05:34 PM
The important question is:: What Does This Mean For Samkon Gado??

comahan
03-04-2007, 05:35 PM

He probably wasn't coming back regardless.

cunningham06
03-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Williams almost had 3 straight 1000 seasons with the worste Ol in football. hell be back this season.

Green is a good vet to have

Lundi isnt a bad back-up.

Theres no point in drafting AD with all the other needs.

Williams did well for us, but his knee is so messed up that he may never play for us again, and if he does it certainly won't be at the level he was playing at. The bones in his knee were grinding together and caused a great deal of damage, so I certainly don't think he will be effective enough to handle more than a couple carries a game should he play for us this season.

As for everyone saying that AD is no longer a possibility, if he is there the Texans will take him. This is the perfect strategy to use for a player like AD who is injury prone. If we were to bring him in and make him our every down back he wouldn't last long at all. This way if we draft him Ahman can handle most of the carries, but we can still let AD get a good number of carries as well. Ahman Green would be our Deuce McCallister to AD's Reggie Bush, just to make a comparison.

cunningham06
03-04-2007, 05:40 PM

Gado did nothing for us last season, he will be cut unless something drastically changes.

Number 10
03-04-2007, 05:40 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/4601378.html (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4601378.html)

The Texans have reached an agreement with their first free agent Green Bay running back Ahmad Green.

Green, 30, is signing a four-year contract worth $22 million, including $6.5 million in guarantees.

PERFECT.

I was hoping it would not reach the $6 million mark, this means my initial offer to Rhodes of 4 years-$14 million is still realistic.

P-L
03-04-2007, 05:51 PM
He probably wasn't coming back regardless.

But it's Samkon Gado, commie!

comahan
03-04-2007, 05:52 PM
But it's Samkon Gado, commie!

But he was completely useless, PL!

tjsunstein
03-04-2007, 05:52 PM
this doesnt make sense to me. take mario williams over reggie bush then sign ahman green the next year.

Philliez01
03-04-2007, 05:53 PM
I am guessing this is what happens?:

-Ahman Green gets a very good amount of carries in Houston.
-Ron Dayne gets short-yardage (he did ok, believe it or not, last season)
-Wali Lundy gets a few carries per game
-Williams goes either on IR or makes the roster but is inactive each week?

Philliez01
03-04-2007, 05:54 PM
this doesnt make sense to me. take mario williams over reggie bush then sign ahman green the next year.

I think it's been pretty well-established, because of the amount of dancing he does and how he swings to the outside, Bush would've been a poor fit in the ZBS for Houston. Granted, receiving wise he would've made his impact but I'm not sure that would've made up for it with Daniels and Moulds also there.

comahan
03-04-2007, 05:56 PM

Oh god man, please dont turn another Texans thread into this conversation.

OhioState
03-04-2007, 06:02 PM
did williams last name used to be davis? i remember their injured rb being dominick davis

cunningham06
03-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Yes it did but he changed it to his mothers maiden name I believe. I'm not positive as to what the reason is but I think that was it.

rumfinator
03-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Young, lol.

What are you laughing about? You know he is not referring to Green, but a young running back to come into Green Bay.

Number 10
03-04-2007, 06:18 PM
What happens to Domanick Davis now?

neko4
03-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Yes it did but he changed it to his mothers maiden name I believe. I'm not positive as to what the reason is but I think that was it.

Alot of guys have been changing last names. (Jones-Drew)
Peterson is still a likely pick at #8, Dayne and Green are older now and not as effective (though Dayne never really was)
Gado is just saving money for med school.
Lundy may not become a good back.

energizerbunny
03-04-2007, 06:34 PM
This really doesn't change anything, if AD is there at 8 they are going to take him. They just gave a 30 year old back a 4 year contract but I highly doubt he ever sees the last 2 years of the contract.

This is just insurance incase Dominick can't bounce back or AD isn't there. They only gave him 6.5 in Bonuses so its not exactly like were tied to him.

LSUALUM99
03-04-2007, 06:36 PM
AD will go well before #8 so it won't matter. I think they go Brady Quinn myself.

art vandelay
03-04-2007, 06:39 PM
This really doesn't change anything, if AD is there at 8 they are going to take him. They just gave a 30 year old back a 4 year contract but I highly doubt he ever sees the last 2 years of the contract.

This is just insurance incase Dominick can't bounce back or AD isn't there. They only gave him 6.5 in Bonuses so its just exactly like were tied to him.

Pretty good points, although what about Wali Lundy and Ron Dayne? You guys say that Gado is gone, but AD, Ahman, Lundy and Dayne would be a very deep backfield. Most teams don't carry 4 RB's on their roster. According to RotoWorld, they are trying to re-sign Dayne.

The Texans are still trying to re-sign Ron Dayne, despite the acquisition of Ahman Green.
Since they won't face much competition, Dayne will probably return. His potential for carries is way down now, however. We're surprised Houston doesn't aim higher by trying to develop a draft pick instead of stockpiling veterans on the decline.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=983

I don't think they will take AD...they have too many needs elsewhere now.

TitleTown088
03-04-2007, 06:44 PM

No kidding. I cannot fault Ted Thompson for this at all. I would never give Green that kind of money anymore.

energizerbunny
03-04-2007, 06:44 PM
Pretty good points, although what about Wali Lundy and Ron Dayne? You guys say that Gado is gone, but AD, Ahman, Lundy and Dayne would be a very deep backfield. Most teams don't carry 4 RB's on their roster. According to RotoWorld, they are trying to re-sign Dayne.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=983

I don't think they will take AD...they have too many needs elsewhere now.

If is AD is there they won't hesitate to take him, but thats also like saying if Calvin Johnson falls to 8 they won't hesitate to take him either.

Laron would be the best pick but he too might be gone by then.

art vandelay
03-04-2007, 06:47 PM
If is AD is there they won't hesitate to take him, but thats also like saying if Calvin Johnson falls to 8 they won't hesitate to take him either.

Laron would be the best pick but he too might be gone by then.

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree, because I think they would take Landry over AD if they both were available. Just my two cents.

cunningham06
03-04-2007, 06:56 PM
If AD is there we will take him. He's a Texas native, plus he's said that he wants to come here more than anywhere else. After last year with Vince and Reggie, we will take AD if he's available, or we will trade down and take Landry shortly after the 10th pick.

Grid
03-04-2007, 06:57 PM
You mean Ahman Green.......

And I want to see his contract figures because Rhodes did not sign with NYG because he wanted someone else to set the bar for RBs.

Green signed 4 year deal worth 22 MM with 6.5MM signing bonus. Not a bad deal for Texans if he can play healthy for 2 years then it will be well worth. I still think Texans will select AP at #8 if he is available. If not then Texans will select between Okoye, Branch, or Landry at #8 or they might want to trade down few spots and pick up few more draft picks.

Texans will not trade draft picks for Plummer and in the worst possible situation they will have David Carr starting the season but his role will be very limited. There is also a rumor that Texans will try to trade up with some kind of package with Cleveland to land at #3 to select AP or CJ.

TitleTown088
03-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Did the Texans eat paint chips when they were children? Paying a 30 year old Ahman Green over 5 mil.

On the bright side the Packers have Morency as their starter as of right now, nice....

BehrenMan007
03-04-2007, 07:43 PM
theyre stealing GB's backfield with gado and now ahman.

The Unseen
03-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Nice signing...he'll be interesting to play against twice a year.

TitleTown088
03-04-2007, 09:01 PM
theyre stealing GB's backfield with gado and now ahman.

Don't foget GB's coach and center as well...

ny10804
03-04-2007, 09:06 PM
Ahman Green
1059 yards, 4.0 ypc, 46 receptions, 373 receiving yards, 6 TDs

Vernand Morency
0421 yards, 4.6 ypc, 16 receptions, 112 receiving yards, 2 TDs

I would've liked to have him for another year, but I won't complain knowing we would've had to pay over 5 million.

cunningham06
03-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Morency for Samkon was a horrible trade. Morency was really good last year, but his ypc did benefit from being the second option at RB. I wouldn't expect him to have that good of an average especially playing Minnesota twice a year. I really liked him when he was in Houston and he has a lot of potential. He's a good all-around back.

jackalope
03-04-2007, 09:14 PM
that's too bad for us because Green would have been a solid starter next year and now we don't have anyone. now i think we really need to take Lynch.

TitleTown088
03-04-2007, 09:52 PM
that's too bad for us because Green would have been a solid starter next year and now we don't have anyone. now i think we really need to take Lynch.

IF he's there at #16.

jayceheathman
03-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Green signed 4 year deal worth 22 MM with 6.5MM signing bonus. Not a bad deal for Texans if he can play healthy for 2 years then it will be well worth. I still think Texans will select AP at #8 if he is available. If not then Texans will select between Okoye, Branch, or Landry at #8 or they might want to trade down few spots and pick up few more draft picks.

Texans will not trade draft picks for Plummer and in the worst possible situation they will have David Carr starting the season but his role will be very limited. There is also a rumor that Texans will try to trade up with some kind of package with Cleveland to land at #3 to select AP or CJ.

I would love to see CJ on the Texans.

49ersfan_87
03-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Decent signing. Lessens the need for RB unless a stud falls.

Grid
03-05-2007, 12:54 AM
The pick up of Ahman Green gives the Texans many more options to work with:

1. they can trade up and grab either johnson or peterson or thomas
2. trade down and grab more picks
3. grab best player at the 8 spot

The fact that we are attempting to trade for Cleveland's 1st round (3rd) pick to get AP is only half right. Yes we are attempting to get the pick but it's not AP we are after, it's Calvin Johnson. We just leaked AP so that teams like Tampa wouldn't try to counter with a trade to Oakland or Detroit. What would it be like having the RBs we have plus a decent QB, whether it be Sage, Ramsey, or whoever with the Johnson and Johnson Receiving Duo?

Addict
03-05-2007, 02:36 AM
The pick up of Ahman Green gives the Texans many more options to work with:

1. they can trade up and grab either johnson or peterson or thomas
2. trade down and grab more picks
3. grab best player at the 8 spot

The fact that we are attempting to trade for Cleveland's 1st round (3rd) pick to get AP is only half right. Yes we are attempting to get the pick but it's not AP we are after, it's Calvin Johnson. We just leaked AP so that teams like Tampa wouldn't try to counter with a trade to Oakland or Detroit. What would it be like having the RBs we have plus a decent QB, whether it be Sage, Ramsey, or whoever with the Johnson and Johnson Receiving Duo?

You'd be better off getting Joe Thomas so that you actually have an O-line.

Caddy
03-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Good signing on the Texans half

LonghornsLegend
03-05-2007, 02:56 AM
why do most think they will try to go after CJ? if you already have andre johnson, dont you think that you would have more pressing needs, and better players to draft then another WR, like an impact safety in landry, or another DE to team up with mario like Adams...

i think CJ would be a bad pick for them, if quinn is there trust they wont pass that up...they dont have a qb right now for the future, last year quinn was supposed to be the #1 pick overall, if he slips to 8 they cant pass up a qb like that

Grid
03-05-2007, 03:36 AM
None of the QB in this draft really excites me, Brady Quinn is nothing more then another version of Carr. They will be better served drafting some one in middle round to groom for the future like Kolb, Stanton or Beck. Kubiak likes a QB who reads defenses and is versitle and can run and throw on the run.

If Texans were to move up and grab johnson the offense would all of the sudden take on an explosive look. One thing to remember is this, kubiak loves to run the ball and all 4 teams in the 2 conference championship games had a two headed monster running the ball (saints-mcallister/bush, bears-jones/benson, colts-addai/rhodes, patriots-dillion/maroney), so grabbing adrian peterson is not out of the question, if they stay put at the 8 spot and peterson and johnson are gone I would not mind seeing them grabbing branch, okoye or landry to help the defense out even more.

As for FS, good FS can be found in middle round as well. Texans can find a good FS in 2nd or 3rd round.

Texans are quite satisfied with Spencer's recovery and I think they might draft OT in middle round for assurance purposes who fits their scheme. Most of the Broncos OL consists on players being drafted in the middle round and this is what the Texans did last year when they drafted Spencer and Winston. I think again they will do the same this year in drafting a tackle in middle round or they might sign some one this off season.

Grid
03-05-2007, 04:30 AM
you would have more pressing needs, and better players to draft then another WR, like an impact safety in landry, or another DE to team up with mario like Adams...

I was just wondering why Landry is so valued?

He's mediocre in coverage, with poor instincts for the ball. He also tackles poorly and never wraps up. So far, his only saving grace is his 40.

If we went secondary in the first, it should be either Leon Hall or Damien Huges. With safety being as deep as it is, a potential shutdown corner in the 1st would make more sense.

1. Hall/Huges
2. Merriweather

I see Merriweather being the next Ed Reed. A ballhawk with great speed and some good hits in him.

TitleTown088
03-05-2007, 09:08 AM
I was just wondering why Landry is so valued?

He's mediocre in coverage, with poor instincts for the ball. He also tackles poorly and never wraps up. So far, his only saving grace is his 40.

If we went secondary in the first, it should be either Leon Hall or Damien Huges. With safety being as deep as it is, a potential shutdown corner in the 1st would make more sense.

1. Hall/Huges
2. Merriweather

I see Merriweather being the next Ed Reed. A ballhawk with great speed and some good hits in him.
Did you just imply the Texans should pick damien hughes with the 8th overall pick?

jayceheathman
03-05-2007, 11:38 AM
why do most think they will try to go after CJ? if you already have andre johnson, dont you think that you would have more pressing needs, and better players to draft then another WR, like an impact safety in landry, or another DE to team up with mario like Adams...

i think CJ would be a bad pick for them, if quinn is there trust they wont pass that up...they dont have a qb right now for the future, last year quinn was supposed to be the #1 pick overall, if he slips to 8 they cant pass up a qb like that

Thats such an irrelavant quote because you could say we have DeMeco Ryans so why choose another LB or we have Dunta Robinson so why choose another CB? The reason to choose CJ is so AJ wont get double and triple teamed every play. None the less, I would like to see Adams or Quinn on the team too. Anybody but Landry. He is so overrated. Michael Griffin or Nelson is a better pick and they could trade down in the process.

Geo
03-05-2007, 01:12 PM

Ahman Green on Sunday agreed to a four-year, $23 million contract with the Houston Texans that includes about $8 million in first-year pay and $12.5 million to $13 million in the first two years, according to a source familiar with the deal.
A nice big, shiny medal.

TitleTown088
03-05-2007, 01:28 PM
A nice big, shiny medal.

Platinum perhaps?