PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning....

Big_Pete
01-16-2009, 06:25 AM
Alot has been made of Eli Manning and whether he deserves his expected $100-$120 million contract extention.

Eli is 28 now and even if it is a 7-8 year contract, we are looking at investing an average of around $14.5 million - $15 million per year with a large chunk of that $100-120 million guaranteed.

Normally I would think it is a no-brainer that you lock up a superbowl winning, probowl QB that has carried your franchise to the playoffs for 4 successive seasons as long as possible.

I can't help wondering if it is worth investing that much cash in Eli, he has done well at times, but too often he has been inconsistent when the offense needs him to step up. In the limited chances that David Carr has had, the passing game has looked crisp. For whatever reason, the passing attack with Eli rarely seems to fire on all cylinders.

I don't think it is fair to lay all the blame at Gilbride's feet (as has been often done by many (including myself) in the past), the opportunities in the passing game have been there, just not exploited.

Eli has already been given huge money, but I haven't seen the level of continual improvement I would have expected from the top QB in the league.

An elite QB can make a good passing game with a solid bunch of receivers (a good example is Tom Brady and the Patriots before Moss). I think Eli has clearly shown that he needs exceptional recievers such as Burress and Shockey (who require double teams) to have a dominant passing attack; this is despite the Giants have a formidable ground attack forcing which teams to adapt often with 8 men in the box. The running game should have opened up more opportunities that can be exploited in the passing game, but we haven't executed as well as we should. I think Eli is a good QB, but not an elite QB.

I would like to say that I am comfortable with the new contract and that Eli deserves that kind of huge contract. I certainly understand the benefits of continuity with a team, but I can't help being a little nervous investing that much cash in Eli.

I would like to say I am happy with Eli under center for the forseeable future; but to be honest, if Detroit was to offer both their 1st round picks for Eli, I would have to give it long hard consideration.

I know Eli has been very good for the franchise, but I can't help feeling at times the Giants have succeeded despite him at times.

What do you think?

1. Should the Giants be pay the contract extention?

2. Should the Giants hold off a year?

We could either resign Carr or even draft a quality young QB early to develop behind Eli (perhaps Josh Freeman or Nate Davis) and see how Eli performs will a little pressure to deliver results.

If Eli steps up then we can extend him then, or alternatetivley we can franchise him after 2009 and make a trade. We would have a good young QB with a year under his belt plus Carr/Woodson for competition.

3. If Detroit hypothetically offered both their 1st round picks (#1, #20) for Eli would you make the deal?

If you would consider it, then perhaps we should think carefully about whether Eli is worth investing that kind of money in. This is a superbowl winning franchise QB who has carried the Giants to the playoffs for 4 years in a row - normally this wouldn't even be considered.

Honestly I would consider this hypothetical trade offer long an hard if it were on the table.

What are your thoughts on Eli Manning?

NY+Giants=NYG
01-16-2009, 09:02 AM
I am not in favor of the extension because it's soo much money. But that's market value AND a QB younger than Eli will probably end up breaking that contract. Another to know is that Eli won't see alot of that money because of incentives and age. As he gets older and makes money, the giants will probably ask him to restructure. The large contract is for cap purposes to so the money is spread out. JUst like Nate Clements 80 million dollar contract. He won't see alot of that money either. People see the total contract and freak out.

giantsfan
01-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm sure once we find out the details it'll be a very reasonable contract and Eli is crucial to our continued success. He gives us that QB who will drive you down the field and keep the team flowing. If he ever gets a good OC I think we'll see Eli out performing his older brother, not peyton's best seasons but matching peyton in a given season.

giantstalk
04-15-2009, 11:56 PM
yea i rele cant believe Eli makes that much money