PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter

EdReedUnstoppable
03-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Ravens | Ravens showing interest in Porter
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 12:26:18 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports the Baltimore Ravens have joined a growing number of teams interested in signing unrestricted free-agent LB Joey Porter (Steelers). Baltimore was one of the latest teams to contact Porter, agent Jeff Sperbeck said Saturday, March 3.

Well this sucks, hope this doesn't pan out, let one of the other teams interested overpay for this worthless turd.

dcarey20
03-04-2007, 06:15 PM
please please please no. cmon ozzie don't do it. not only does the league hate this guy, but he isn't even any good. just go with my boy jarrett johnson.

RaVeNFaNaCtIc
03-04-2007, 06:27 PM
He is still a good player but NO WAY is he welcome on our team. please we are better of with Jarret Johnson, plus he would be a pain in the locker room. I cant see why Ozzie is pursuing him. :confused:

EdReedUnstoppable
03-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Id feel safer with Porter starting over Johnson but I still dont want him, its time for the Dan Cody era to begin!

Bohleive
03-04-2007, 07:14 PM
I think once teams start floating numbers, teams like Cle and SF who missed out on JJ and AD, teams who are gonna offer way more than he's worth, the interest will come to a screeching halt. I can't imagine we were looking at him as anything other than depth, if this is true.

Ravens1991
03-04-2007, 08:30 PM
I think if we sign Joseph he will want enough money that we kiss our hopes of re-signing Suggs good-bye.

YouNeverKnow
03-04-2007, 08:33 PM
I heard somewhere, can't remember where though so take it with a grain of salt, that the Bengals dropped out when they inquired about Porter's asking price.
That doesn't bode well for us picking him up (not that I'm really for it) with our limits on spending, unless he wants to take less to play for an outstanding defense.
Or maybe he just didn't have a long enough rap sheet to qualify for the Bengals.

niel89
03-04-2007, 10:38 PM
id like him as a player on the field becuase i know he can play even though he is declining. how ever his price tag is gonna be too high and id rather have a younger guy get a chance who knows Cody/JJ could become a star with some more in game experience.

ccB
03-04-2007, 10:53 PM
I wouldnt be opposed to signing him, nothing long term and not for a whole lot of money. Id rather have him starting than JJ or Cody.

Yung Flippa
03-04-2007, 11:00 PM
I wouldnt be opposed to signing him, nothing long term and not for a whole lot of money. Id rather have him starting than JJ or Cody.

I Agree
I Mean I Know He Is Like The #1 Enemy Right Now
But If We Can Get His Skills For A Cheap Price Then
Id Take Because I'm Not Sure Dan Cody Can Stay healthy
And I Wonder if JJ is ready to become a starter

ChefMike
03-05-2007, 12:20 AM
I love the hate on Porter... This guy is the same age of AD !! He seems to be declining because of whom he is surrounded by in Pittsburgh... put him on our defense and you have a guy that could get 15 sacks next year and boost the numbers for Suggs to just as many if not more !!! you could be setting records left and right with a guy of his ability rushing the passer on Rex's Defense. I would think that the knowledge amongst you guys that you could appreciate that. With him in there think of some of the experimenting with players you could have... hell you could try JJ inside sometimes and give Dan Cody an another experienced pro bowler to learn from...

Troj2man
03-05-2007, 01:21 AM
Joey Porter would make our pass rush unreal. He has a ton of talent, and being around the talent we already have, would make him that much better. I don't like the guy, but wouldn't hate to see him and Suggs coming off the edge.

ccB
03-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Here is a link talking about our RB situation. It says we are done with LB after signing JJ. So apparently he is the new starter at OLB. Im not mad I think JJ could really suprise alot of people, hes all hustle.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens305,0,7894271.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

"Unlike running back, Newsome said the team is done with outside linebackers in free agency after re-signing Jarret Johnson over the weekend. That means the Ravens are no longer considering Joey Porter."

"
The Ravens also are not pursuing any free-agent offensive tackles. At this point, the Ravens are ready to go with former second-round pick Adam Terry as the replacement for right tackle Tony Pashos, but that isn't necessarily a lock."

"Could we draft a tackle? Sure," Newsome said. "But we feel like [Terry] would go in and do a credible job for us."

This leads me to believe we could be trading up for a RB or trading some picks for a RB. It seems like we are set in most positions so we have picks we could package for either a higher pick or maybe to trade for McGahee.

Bohleive
03-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Here is a link talking about our RB situation. It says we are done with LB after signing JJ. So apparently he is the new starter at OLB. Im not mad I think JJ could really suprise alot of people, hes all hustle.
That's very good news, I whole heartedly agree. A lot of people seem to forget that even in 05-06 Joey Porter was viewed as one of the most overrated players in the league.

Just for those of you who will be gnashing teeth over this one let me restate my thoughts on Porter from a previous thread.

He's worthless. I never thought he was good in his prime and he's past it. I considered him a beneficiary of the system, getting most of his sacks unblocked or against RB's, and being a one trick pony on top of that.
That may be debatable, but what is not is that he's certainly past his prime now. Last season he was just pathetic, running his mouth and then getting owned by any OT who got a hand on him. Think about it, the steelers have a ton of cap space, passrush trouble and they still cut him. Why would we, a team with a great passrush and very little cap space then go out and sign him.

Ravens1991
03-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I am a fan of JJ I love his hustle and attitude, intensity, and work ethic.

EdReedUnstoppable
03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I dont want Porter, or JJ starting for us next year I think its gonna be a big weak spot for us on D next year.

Ravens1991
03-05-2007, 03:15 PM
I wouldrather have JJ over Porter, I dont want Porter a part of this team at all.

BigDawg819
03-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Dan Cody will have a monster year in 2007! I have said it before and I just said it again. People quickly brush him off because he has been hurt but AD wasn't a star immediately, it took him years to crack the starting lineup. Besides while AD really emerged as an OLB, Jarrett can also still be utilized along the defensive line. And enough with this garbage about Joey Porter. Has it come to the point where as soon as guy is released we immediately start discussing him as a "future" Raven? Jeez this Raven forum is starting to sound like a Redskin fan forum......

EdReedUnstoppable
03-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Dan Cody will have a monster year in 2007! I have said it before and I just said it again. People quickly brush him off because he has been hurt but AD wasn't a star immediately, it took him years to crack the starting lineup. Besides while AD really emerged as an OLB, Jarrett can also still be utilized along the defensive line. And enough with this garbage about Joey Porter. Has it come to the point where as soon as guy is released we immediately start discussing him as a "future" Raven? Jeez this Raven forum is starting to sound like a Redskin fan forum......

I made the thread because we contacted his agent and are one of the teams he has mentoned.

BigDawg819
03-05-2007, 04:08 PM
I made the thread because we contacted his agent and are one of the teams he has mentoned.

I'm not specifically referring to this thread because we have been discussing Porter in various threads for a few days now. My point is that we build thru the draft and lately it seems as though peeps on here have given up on that philosophy and it disturbs me. Everyone is discussing various running backs we need to sign and Porter and who knows who it will be come tomorrow.

niel89
03-05-2007, 05:32 PM
we are no longer looking at joey porter. JJ is what ozzie wants

"Unlike running back, Newsome said the team is done with outside linebackers in free agency after re-signing Jarret Johnson over the weekend. Contrary to reports, the Ravens announced Johnson's contract as a six-year deal."
"That means the Ravens are no longer considering other linebackers, including Joey Porter."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-ravens305,0,7894271.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

Yung Flippa
03-05-2007, 05:49 PM
we are no longer looking at joey porter. JJ is what ozzie wants

"Unlike running back, Newsome said the team is done with outside linebackers in free agency after re-signing Jarret Johnson over the weekend. Contrary to reports, the Ravens announced Johnson's contract as a six-year deal."
"That means the Ravens are no longer considering other linebackers, including Joey Porter."

It's A Six Year Deal?
I Thought That It Was A 3-year Deal

EdReedUnstoppable
03-05-2007, 06:05 PM
It's A Six Year Deal?
I Thought That It Was A 3-year Deal

EWE!!

6 friggin years! if it stays the same money at $13 for 6 years thats fine but if he is getting over $4 mil a year for 6 years thats insanity!

Ravens1991
03-05-2007, 06:22 PM
lets see how he does, lets be optimstic here, maybe he becomes beastly.

EdReedUnstoppable
03-05-2007, 06:25 PM
lets see how he does, lets be optimstic here, maybe he becomes beastly.

You keep being optimistic, Ill keep being negative that way when it fails I wont be overly upset about it because I knew it all along.

Ravens1991
03-05-2007, 06:28 PM
true good point, All we know about JJ is he brings intensity and has played DE, 34 OLB and 43 MLB, there is versaility, but my main question is can he play those positions at a quality level. Perhaps Cody comes in on 3rd downs.

RaVeNFaNaCtIc
03-05-2007, 06:41 PM
WoW. Ozzie and Brian Billick must have alot of confidence in him giving him a 6 year contract. I would have much rather given that contract to A.D. The only good thing about A.D> leaving is that it forces younger players to step up like Dawan and T-Sizzle. I expect great things from both of em.

Bohleive
03-05-2007, 11:05 PM
WoW. Ozzie and Brian Billick must have alot of confidence in him giving him a 6 year contract. I would have much rather given that contract to A.D.
I think we all would the problem is that AD got a much larger contract. Also people don't realize how capable a passrusher and pass defender JJ is. One more time, before you start saying he can't do this or that, or he's unathletic (makes no sense, how else could he transition to OLB at his size unless he's athletic) go back and watch the film. He was one of our most consistent passrushers in terms of getting pressure last season when he was in the game.

YouNeverKnow
03-06-2007, 01:56 AM
Any numbers out yet on the 6 year deal? I really, really hope we did not overpay for him even though he is a good backup but you just don't give backups long contracts for lots of money banking on that they will break out.

niel89
03-06-2007, 03:24 AM
all we have for now is that it is for 6 years

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article.jsp?id=16813

Bohleive
03-06-2007, 10:26 AM
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511
The Miami Dolphins and LB Joey Porter have reached agreement on a five-year, $32.5 million deal that includes $20 million worth of guaranteed money.

Wow are the dolphins ********. Now how does that JJ deal look.

DeathbyStat
03-06-2007, 11:11 AM
As a steeler fan I have soft spot for Joey Porter but if I was a GM I wouldn't sign him.

But if on the off chance he signs with you team and actually produces, you'll be hypocrites and say you love the guy.

I wasn't sure if he had signed with Miami but that is a bad deal for Miami