PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's QB

TimD
01-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Well basically who/where is he? Could one of the 3 young guys on our roster step up and claim the spot. At this point the Jets just need a game manager who will give his receivers the opportunity to run after the catch, and will not throw interceptions. We still don't know what Favre's deal is, but you can bet your ass that Ryan will not deal with his ****.

This answer to this question will of course change when we see who Ryan brings in as OC, and see who is released (freeing up cap space). I think there's a chance of us drafting a QB, but I don't want a first rounder. We our first pick to have an impact unlike last year (on a side note I hope Ryan can get something out of Gholston).

So anyways what do you guys think? Unproven Ratliff, Clemens, or Someone else?

Brent
01-20-2009, 12:37 PM
While not a Jets fan, I'd love to see Ratliff do well.

thetedginnshow
01-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Troy Smith!

jetvilma51
01-20-2009, 02:03 PM
I honestly would like to see Ratliff get a chance because i really belive in him. I have this feeling he will at least be a decent QB in this league. If Sanchez falls to us in the draft, we take him, i see alot of potenial in Sanchez.

TimD
01-20-2009, 02:15 PM
I honestly would like to see Ratliff get a chance because i really belive in him. I have this feeling he will at least be a decent QB in this league. If Sanchez falls to us in the draft, we take him, i see alot of potenial in Sanchez.

Yeah I would not mind going into camp with sanchez ratliff Clemens and ainge

derza222
01-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah I would not mind going into camp with sanchez ratliff Clemens and ainge

I wouldn't mind it either, though I would prefer to draft another position in the first. I'd see why they'd do it though. The tricky thing about drafting a QB early is we have no veteran to start this year anyway and you probably don't want your rookie starting right away, especially given the inexperience of a guy like Sanchez. So if we have an open competition with the 3 vets Ratliff Clemens and Ainge and our winner ends up being a legit QB we kind of wasted a first round pick. But if our winner sucks this year we have to wait another year or so to develop a QB. So I really can't decide what I'd prefer. At this point I think letting the three guys on our roster now compete, provided we bring in another weapon or two to help them out, is probably the path I'd like to take.

gsorace
01-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Ratliff to Clowney....all day

josh07039
01-20-2009, 02:47 PM
I think that the team has a better view of Ratliff now. I know he has shown nothing outside of the preseason, but it seems pretty clear that Clemens isn't considered to be a viable option in the future. Clearly if they had confidence in Clemens they would have possibly cut Pennington and named Clemens starter in the offseason. At the very least they would have shown more confidence in Clemens.

nyjets5125
01-20-2009, 04:13 PM
yeah i think we saw in the preseason that they wanted to see ratliff more than clemens which shows i dont think they believe in clemens...ratliff started off great in the preseason iuntil the game against the giants when he looked real bad and confused at times, and threw an awful interception similar to favres toss to the dolphins DE in the last game of the season, but i would love to see more of him and think he could be a serviceable stopgap until we get a true franchise QB (sanchez if left)...itll be interesting to see how they handle clemens who was a mangini guy (also tannenbaum) but mangini LOVED him much more than anybody else did in the league (passed on leinhart and cutler so taht they could take him in the 2nd, and traded ahead of the vikings to make sure the didnt take him after we traded down), but i dont think hell be much...ainge i dont reall know much about except when i watched a few of his games he seemed to look like a legit nfl qb with great size but he never showed much leadership and success so well see what happens with him

im hoping we get sanchez but dont see that as likely, but if we do im fine with ratliff/clemens starting for now at least, or if sanchez seems ready put him as the next matt ryan/joe flacco with a new first time coach and leading them to the playoffs, but dont see that as likely since hes only started one yr of college football...if we dont draft a qb, i dont like what we have now unless one of those guys really has potential that the organization knows about and we dont

BroadwayJoe10
01-20-2009, 04:35 PM
I guess if sanchez is there he is an obvious option, but I would not be upset going into camp with Clemens, Ratliff and a veteran.

My top choice for a QB to bring in would be Byron Leftwich. He has shown this year with Pittsburgh that when given ample time in the pocket he can be an accurate passer. The few games when Big Ben was injured, Leftwich came right in and played quite well. I personally see him ending up in Chicago, but think he could do quite well here.

I think till depend on if we keep schotty or not. If we do, than Clemens or Ratliff have been in the system for a couple years and have consistency, but if we go with jackson than Leftwich could be a competent starter. I also believe that if our defense steps up and we ride the running game, any of those 3 QBs could be good enough.

katnip
01-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I'd like too see Ratliff... Then Mark Sanchez, just has a lot of potential too me. Maybe just as much as Stafford too me.

GET LOOSE
01-22-2009, 05:10 PM
point blank i dont wanna draft a qb because i dont really like any1 but stafford so im all 4 letting clemens and ratliff battle it out. I really do belive 1 of them will step up and win the job. both have nice arms and can move around alil in that pocket. and the troy smith idea i would love as well. i do think he can succeed in this league and getting him and letting all 3 battle it out. i mean 1 of them would have 2 show promise.

nyjets5125
01-22-2009, 09:39 PM
im pretty sure kurt warners contract is up? if favre doesnt come back, what would you guys think about bringing him in (if he wants to leave AZ which i think only happens if they deem leinhart ready, which is unlikely) for a year to start and mentor/teach our young QBs...or even jeff garcia?

if ew do have young guys battle it out for the starting job, and we dont draft someone early, i think we should bring in someone with potential like boller, leftwich, grossman, or losman...all of those guys were 1st rounders recently and if were letting guys battle it out for the job, why not throw one of them in there and see how they do? worst comes to worst we get a serviceble backup out of it who has starting experience

derza222
01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I'd be fine with bringing in Warner but I'm pretty sure he loves Arizona so doesn't want to move plus the situation for him there is way better than it would be here. So I think it'd be a really nice move but not so sure it's actually possible.

bored of education
03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Los Angeles Daily News - Quarterback Mark Sanchez is expected to perform private workouts for the New York Jets and Indianapolis Colts before participating in USC's Pro Day on April 1

jetvilma51
03-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Los Angeles Daily News - Quarterback Mark Sanchez is expected to perform private workouts for the New York Jets and Indianapolis Colts before participating in USC's Pro Day on April 1

i like sanchez and i think he will be a good NFL QB but i really want us drafting a reciever in the first round

MyLostintention
03-07-2009, 01:52 PM
i like sanchez and i think he will be a good NFL QB but i really want us drafting a reciever in the first round
I agree, the Jets do this every year, they check out all the top QBs in the draft and then show no interest in them. The WR class is to deep to pass up one in the first round.

TT Gator
03-10-2009, 12:38 AM
I agree, the Jets do this every year, they check out all the top QBs in the draft and then show no interest in them. The WR class is to deep to pass up one in the first round.

YES! i'm glad someone else agrees with me. The way I see it Stafford is the only QB close to a safe first year starter pick. Since he's gone a QB in the first would be a waste of a pick. Why? Cuz it essentially changes nothing. If its not Stafford then it'll be Sanchez or Freeman. Sanchez started 1 year just 1. He also played for USC I dont want to get in a debate with any Trojan fans bout them but he had a great team all around him in a conference where their the best team every year. He doesn't have a huge cannon arm, hes not a fast scrambler, but he is accurate. Is that enough tho? Theirs plenty of 2nd and 3rd string QBs who can throw an accurate ball and have more experiance than Sanchez. He hasen't proved to me he's any better then Erik Ainge or Ratliff none the less Clemens. Now Freeman has a cannon but other than that and him playing in a pro style offence theirs not much depth. I don't think he's a good decision maker, has played enuff quality teams or played in enuff big time games to really gauge how he'd do in the pros. In the end the Jets are going to have an inexperianced signal caller no matter what so why waste a 1st round pick when you already have 3 young QBs who know the team, the playbook, and have had exposure to the NFL game? If you want to bring one in for competition pick up Bomar, Davis, White, or Reilly somewhere from the 3rd to late rounds. IMO Bomar's a later round Freeman and Davis a later round Sanchez with White and Reilly both wildcards with alot of talent. The biggest concern for NY should be that Coles is gone and they desperatly need a #1 WR to help their young QB. As MyLostintention put it the reciever class is deep this year and it's not entirely impossible any more that Maclin may fall to them. Even if he doesn't I think that 100% for sure Harvin and DHB will be there. They need to take advantage of these potential Top 10 talents falling in their lap. These guys both have what NY needs. A super fast playmaking WR who can score anytime he gets the ball. I'd take my chances with Clemens having an extra target in Harvin or DHB over Sanchez having just the receivers they got now any day(with Cotchery the only proven one). Worst case scenerio they try Clemens, Ainge, or Ratliff and they bust well you still got your #1 receiver, an early pick, and one of the best QB classes to every come out in 2010. If it happens with Sanchez or Freeman you just wasted a pick and next years WR class won't come close to this years.