PDA

View Full Version : Who should be the Giants first round pick?

LetsGoGiants!
01-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Just curious of who you guys think the giants will pick.

giantsfan
01-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Clint Sintim, Eben Britton, Kenny Britt, Hakeem Nicks, Percy Harvin, Aaron Maybin or Clay Matthews.

Turtlepower
01-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Stay away from Eben Britton. He is okay, but is not good at run blocking at all. Obviously not the best fit for our team. He also went to the University of Arizona and we all know how much we love Antonio Pierce. Stay away from Arizona players!!!!!!!

giantsfan
01-25-2009, 01:40 AM
Stay away from Eben Britton. He is okay, but is not good at run blocking at all. Obviously not the best fit for our team. He also went to the University of Arizona and we all know how much we love Antonio Pierce. Stay away from Arizona players!!!!!!!

Britton won't be a first year starter and is still raw technique wise. As we develop him I think he could be a good run blocker and great pass blocker and letting Diehl slide to a more comfortable position is always a plus. I honestly don't care which one but I'd love to see us draft Britton, Beatty, Kropog or even Phil Loadholt at some point on day one to develop as our LT of the future.

OSUGiants17
01-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Sintim all the way, he will start at SAM from day 1.

LetsGoGiants!
01-25-2009, 01:18 PM
I think they should draft a LB or DE first round then a WR second, cause they don't really need a WR right away, they still ahve Hixon, Smith, Toomer and Manningham.

hugegmenfan
01-25-2009, 01:42 PM
I think they should draft a LB or DE first round then a WR second, cause they don't really need a WR right away, they still ahve Hixon, Smith, Toomer and Manningham.

and none of them are #1 caliber WRS...toomer is 34 and its clear he is still a good player but not a big threat...manningham showed little promise in his rookie yr....smith i think can be a good #2, nothing more and hixon is too inconsistent- i would totally disagree and say unless plax comes back WR is a priority

giantsfan
01-25-2009, 02:59 PM
and none of them are #1 caliber WRS...toomer is 34 and its clear he is still a good player but not a big threat...manningham showed little promise in his rookie yr....smith i think can be a good #2, nothing more and hixon is too inconsistent- i would totally disagree and say unless plax comes back WR is a priority

I just fail to see how any rookie is going to replace plax unless we trade up Crabtree.

LetsGoGiants!
01-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Thats true. But i'm not sure that any WR in the draft is a #1 Caliber player(except Crabtree, which is highly likely we don't get him) so we shouldn't give up our first pick for a WR that won't help us out.

NotoriousT
01-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Stay away from Eben Britton. He is okay, but is not good at run blocking at all. Obviously not the best fit for our team. He also went to the University of Arizona and we all know how much we love Antonio Pierce. Stay away from Arizona (State) players!!!!!!!

Fixed for accuracy.

Anyway, I'd like to see Sintim, Laurinitis, maybe Nicks, or Cushing. Hard to really say because it's impossible to even guess how far player x will fall or even what our team will look like once April rolls around.

hugegmenfan
01-25-2009, 11:57 PM
My opinion on what we should do this offseason:

I think, if Plax comes back, we draft a tall, physical WR in the 2nd
I think if Plax does NOT come back, we sign or make a trade for a good veteran WR ie Boldin, Houshmanzadeh in the off season.

The window for another championship run is only getting smaller and if Plax does not come back- a rookie WR probably won't make THAT much of an impact, although i could be wrong.

Forenci
01-26-2009, 12:23 AM
I just fail to see how any rookie is going to replace plax unless we trade up Crabtree.

If Crabtree runs a mediocre time at the combine and slips a couple of picks, which to me seems like a reasonable possibility, I would trade A LOT to go up and grab him.

Depends where he would fall to (6 or 7 maybe?) but I would certainly off load our first this year (obviously), next years and one of our seconds if that's what it took to grab him.

Hopefully we won't be picking too high next year (knock on wood) so it wouldn't be the end of the world by losing next years first.

I truly believe Crabtree would be worth it. He is just that great of a wide receiver. I see him being the Andre Johnson type with perhaps a little bit less explosiveness but with more moves in the open field.

Not only does he have all the things you want with good size, pretty good speed, excellent hands, leaping ability, etc. but he's a good run blocker and willing run blocker. Something we need at the WR position.

I'm not really a person who likes to see us break the bank in terms of trading up but Crabtree is my favorite player in the draft without question. If it could be done I would love to see it.

Giantsfan1080
01-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Isn't this what the draft discussion thread is for?

OSUGiants17
01-27-2009, 07:29 PM
DHB, Sintim or Britt OR trade it for Boldin.

LetsGoGiants!
01-27-2009, 08:08 PM
I was hoping that the Giants would trade up and draft Michael Crabtree. I don't think Plax is coming back and if he doesn't we need the best WR in the draft.

Kase1
02-24-2009, 09:20 AM
Give me either Maualuga or Lauranitis.....if theyre not available we shold go after Marcus Freeman

If you cant tell, I think WR is by far our biggest need

Plax is most likely gonna get a few yrs probation, a huge fine, and tons of community service

Kase1
02-24-2009, 09:28 AM
If we get a WR it should be someone like Braylon Edwards for a 2nd and 5th round pick. He can step in and immediatley produce

We have a bunch of young WRs that are still 'learning the ropes' such as Manningham, Moss, and Smith. IMO there is no need to go after another young WR, we need a proven guy who is already at the NFL level and is ready to go

dtowner
02-25-2009, 04:02 PM
If we get a WR it should be someone like Braylon Edwards for a 2nd and 5th round pick. He can step in and immediatley produce

We have a bunch of young WRs that are still 'learning the ropes' such as Manningham, Moss, and Smith. IMO there is no need to go after another young WR, we need a proven guy who is already at the NFL level and is ready to go

I don't think Laurintis will be around, but he is more of an inside guy anyway and ran very slow at the combines. We need OLB and I would prefer seeing Clay Matthews or Clint Sintim although neither of them may be around either. Paul Kruger of Utah is projected as an OLB at the next level and he is impressive at getting at the QB. I think Murphy the WR from Florida might be one of our 2nd round picks and that kid can catch em. I'm intregued by your number 5 choice of Ramsey because the guy is 6'6 and would be a great red zone target if Plax is not back.

culloden1745
02-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Plax is most likely gonna get a few yrs probation, a huge fine, and tons of community service

You do not get probation for a felony in nys. Right now hes facing 3 years minimum sentence if convicted. If he pleas out it would still be to a D felony, and 1 year minimum sentence. He could do six months with good behavior, and then the parole....not probation.

Mr. Hero
03-01-2009, 03:47 AM
Since I think Plax'll be back for at least this season I want to see William Beatty be our pick, I see him as a franchise LT once he bulks up and you don't get a shot at those every year. There'll be WR who compliment Hixon and Smith available later who can be groomed behind plax.

Big_Pete
03-01-2009, 07:11 AM
my preferences are

1. WR Hakim Nicks
2. OC Max Unger
3. OT Jamon Meredith/William Beatty

BaLLiN
03-01-2009, 08:43 AM
1. Nicks
2. DHB
3. Britt
4. Knowshon

Kase1
03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
You do not get probation for a felony in nys. Right now hes facing 3 years minimum sentence if convicted. If he pleas out it would still be to a D felony, and 1 year minimum sentence. He could do six months with good behavior, and then the parole....not probation.

He's got one of the most expensive laywyers in the Tri-State with Benjamin Brafman and you dont pay lawyers to go 2 trial, you pay em to settle with a plea bargain. There is a chance that he'll go 2 jail, but there's also a chance he'll walk with probation after settling with a plea, so we'll see

Kase1
03-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Well now that we just got Canty, 'The Nard Dogg' and Boley I think we should go Will Beatty the LT from UConn. Our starting O-Line is nasty, but our backups can be upgraded, ESPECIALLY on the outside cause Boothe makes me wanna vomit.

Honestly I wouldnt be upset with a Strongside LB, but we have possible talent for SLB in Blackburn (and Im one of the biggest Blackburn skeptics, LOL), Kehl and IMO if we keep Wilkinson, he's goinna be our backup WLB

gmen2112
03-11-2009, 10:24 AM
all im gonna say is i love our offseason so far, but as it looks right now our wideouts are steve smith, hixon, moss, tyree, manningham. Those guys are solid, but none are number 1's. And i'm afraid that no guys is the draft are number ones either. I really think the giants should try to either trade draft picks for braylon edwards because they will not give up mathius, or we should attempt to sign torry holt if he is released by the rams. i think if we can get either braylon/holt and draft hakeem nicks we will be good. Plus our running game will be fine next season, i think ward is gonna learn he was simply a product of the system, we can put danny ware in and he would put up the same numbers ward did...peace.

hugegmenfan
03-11-2009, 11:01 AM
all im gonna say is i love our offseason so far, but as it looks right now our wideouts are steve smith, hixon, moss, tyree, manningham. Those guys are solid, but none are number 1's. And i'm afraid that no guys is the draft are number ones either. I really think the giants should try to either trade draft picks for braylon edwards because they will not give up mathius, or we should attempt to sign torry holt if he is released by the rams. i think if we can get either braylon/holt and draft hakeem nicks we will be good. Plus our running game will be fine next season, i think ward is gonna learn he was simply a product of the system, we can put danny ware in and he would put up the same numbers ward did...peace.

i am a huge advocate of signing torry holt personally. i think he is a temporary, good solution until plaxico's future is decided and i still think we should draft hakeem nicks. unless its one of our 2 second round picks i do not want to trade for braylon edwards

Brad
03-12-2009, 01:54 AM
anyone but Edwards!!

touchdownmaker
03-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I have a feeling Braylon Edwards will be a great addition. He gives us size and speed. The drops did kill the Browns, but it could be that he just had a bad year.

Reese has been very silent about what he wants to do to address the WR situation aside from keeping Plax in his plans.

Kase1
03-16-2009, 05:30 PM
anyone but Edwards!!

Why???

He had a case of the dropsies last season but that could be fixed wtih the correct coaching

Crickett
03-16-2009, 05:39 PM

Unless the Giants get Calvin Johnson, nobody is going to funny replace a 6'5 230 receiver who had the speed and athleticism to make the big play deep like Plax did. That being said, the Giants need a big receiver who can make the big play down the field. And that is what someone like DHB or Kenny Britt could do. Because the Giants receiver corps proved last year that unless they're facing a terrible defense like Seattle, nobody currently on the team is going to provide that.

dtowner
03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Just curious of who you guys think the giants will pick.

My thinking is the difference between Nicks, Britt and Robiskie is minute and one of them if not all 3 will be there with our 1st pick in the second round so leverage the first pick with either the best LB on the board (Laurinitis, Stintim, Matthews) or best O lineman on the board (Mack, Loadholt or Unger). Then a Safety to replace the loss of Butler and Dahl and compete with CC Brown & Johnson. (assuming Phillips is a starter)

culloden1745
03-20-2009, 03:10 PM
He's got one of the most expensive laywyers in the Tri-State with Benjamin Brafman and you dont pay lawyers to go 2 trial, you pay em to settle with a plea bargain. There is a chance that he'll go 2 jail, but there's also a chance he'll walk with probation after settling with a plea, so we'll see

You cant drop a C felony down to a A misdemeanor. You can drop it from a c to a d. thats still a mandatory year sentence. There is no way around that. Additionally, it wouldnt be probation, it would be parole.
I'm not saying the State wouldnt allow him to be sentenced in the off season, or whatever. But there is no chance you are going to see a C felony dropped down to a Misd.

culloden1745
03-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Brafman went to trial and won an acquittal in the gun charges against Combs. And was also part of Micheal Jackson,(singer not the wr from the browns) child molestation case. Neither ended in a plea deal.
You pay lawyers to represent you and do what is best for you. Sometimes is a plea, sometimes it is a trial.
Maybe things will change before the case goes forward, but if you remember Bloomberg, the ultimate boss of whatever Ada would be handling the case, said that Burress be prosecuted to the fullest extent, saying that any punishment short of the minimum 3 years for unlawful carrying of a handgun would be a mockery of the law.