View Full Version : Official Broncos News Thread

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 09:04 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11513522

Elway to toss Super Bowl coin
By The Associated Press

Posted: 01/21/2009 12:00:09 PM MST
Updated: 01/21/2009 10:26:21 PM MST

John Elway. (AP)TAMPA, FLA. Super Bowl winners John Elway, Lynn Swann and Roger Craig will take part in the coin toss for the Feb. 1 game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Arizona Cardinals

Was always a Big Elway fan, itll be nice to see him on the 50 again, if only for a coin toss....

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11520216

Broncos' McDaniels hires younger brother
By The Denver Post
Posted: 01/21/2009 05:40:30 PM MST
Updated: 01/21/2009 10:23:45 PM MST

New Broncos coach Josh McDaniels continued to fill out his staff Wednesday, adding younger brother Ben McDaniels and Jay Rodgers as assistant coaches

New coach intown brought his little brother up from coaching quarterbacks at a high school in Ohio....

Im all for the family love, you have no idea

So im good with it as long as he stays a assistant...

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 09:24 AM
http://sev.prnewswire.com/health-care-hospitals/20090122/DC6150622012009-1.html

Cutler -- who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last spring and established himself as one of the National Football League's (NFL) top young quarterbacks with a Pro Bowl season in 2008 -- will become an ambassador for Eli Lilly and Company's Inspired by Diabetes campaign, Lilly announced today. Lilly is a worldwide leader in diabetes research and treatment that introduced the world's first commercial insulin as a treatment for diabetes in 1923.

Real Classy move, just for all those Cutler Attitude haters......

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 09:31 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?contentId=9101958&MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002#sport=NFL&photo=9101086

The Denver Broncos SuperBowl teams of 1986 and 1989 each earned a spot on FoxSports list of top ten worst SuperBowl teams.

Whats the thoughts on this.....

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 09:43 AM
http://www.insidevandy.com/drupal/node/9257

I know the article is about Earl Bennett, but it does have mention of Jay.
Turns out cutler is Back throwing balls with Bennett at Vanderbuilt...

I for one wonder, WHY!!

Why isnt jay back in denver or wherever with Bmarsh, royal, grahm, stockley and scheffler working things out, running patterns and getting a start on this new playbook...

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 09:47 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/21/slowik-expected-join-lions-defensive-backs-coach/

Newly hired Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz has been making the rounds, including checking on former Broncos defensive coordinator Bob Slowik. Slowik is expected to be the Lions' defensive backs coach, joining new defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

Best of luck to slowik as a DEFENSIVEBACKS coach......

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Little old news but wasnt mentioned here....

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-long0120,0,7189153.story

Jake Long named to Pro Bowl
By Harvey Fialkov | SunSentinel.com
6:30 PM EST, January 20, 2009
Dolphins rookie left tackle Jake Long was named to the AFC squad of the Pro Bowl Tuesday after Bills tackle Jason Peters had to pull out due to a knee injury.

This is just rediculous!!!!! Just goes to show the probowl is a popularity contest....Who here can agrue that long had a better year(all-around) than clady..
NO ONE
One fact can be agrued that Long is a great runblocker, but so is clady and with only 1/2 of a sack aloud to Longs 2.5 its easy to see this is just ROBBERY.

Please Discuss.....

JoeyJr09
01-23-2009, 10:11 AM
-Denver played much, much easier defenses this year then Miami from a pass rushing standpoint.

-Clady came into a better situation where it is easier to succeed. Long came into a 1-15 team.

-The amount of pressure of being the number 1 pick compared to somewhere in the teens is a huge difference. Guys target Long to make him look bad. Clady is just another guy to them.

-Dolphins went 11-5. Denver went 8-8.

-Long was asked to do alot more then Clady because of the wildcat offense. He lined up as a TE and ran routes (for blocking purposes on occasion). Clady wasn't asked to do anything that complex.

Clady had a great year but saying that it can't even be argued that he had a better year then Long is short sighted. Football is more then stats on a sheet. Long deserved to be in the Pro Bowl and earned everything that was given to him.

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 10:54 AM
I dont see how team records or the team there on has anything to do with being a Pro Bowlers urself....

I understand where your coming from though and the agurement was made..
Nice work...

Clady and long both desevered the spot..no doubt

Next year will be the real Decider
With Denver dropping the ZBS clady will be able to get alittle more recognition for his run blocking.

And if records does have anything to do with it or the team, clady is on a 8-8 Denver team that didnt make the playoffs and is in a "turnaround", and Long is on a 11-5 playoff team... And denver plays the NFC east next year.... Harder schedule..

Therefore Clady already has the advantage.....:D

Michigan
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Both Long and Clady should have made the probowl. Jason Peters gave up 11.5 sacks in 13 games! I would argue that Long deserved to make it over Clady though, since he was the better run-blocker and let's face it, 2.5 is not much worse than 0.5.

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Both Long and Clady should have made the probowl. Jason Peters gave up 11.5 sacks in 13 games! I would argue that Long deserved to make it over Clady though, since he was the better run-blocker and let's face it, 2.5 is not much worse than 0.5.

Clady wasnt spectacular in Run blocking, ok, but you must understand ZBS lineman get no respect because they work as a group and not man to man blocking.
Hopefully next yr denver will drop the ZBS and allow clady to show what he can do...

And yes 2.5 sacks is much worse than .5 scks.
That two times ur main guy (QB) went down
Two times he could have been hurt
Two times he could have fumbled
Two times that sack could have came at a game changing time...

If you were a GM or coach and had the chocie between a Tackle that can Run Block up the ass, and is a Fair passblocker, or would you take a fella who is a Good Runner Blocker, and a Great Passblocker....

We are yet to see what ethier of these two are capable of...

Gonna blow when Long allows a sack or two on Cutler in the Probowl.....
Then we all will Say "Would Clady have let him by...."

Gay Ork Wang
01-23-2009, 11:23 AM
cause everyone cares about the Pro Bowl

rascal
01-23-2009, 11:30 AM
-Denver played much, much easier defenses this year then Miami from a pass rushing standpoint.

That is complete crap.

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 11:42 AM
cause everyone cares about the Pro Bowl

WAY TO GO BUDDY!!!!!

I care about football, the pro-bowl is uh hmmmmmmm Football calm down guy..

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-23-2009, 01:02 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e4b3e3

take a look.... please take a look

Michigan
01-23-2009, 03:55 PM
And yes 2.5 sacks is much worse than .5 scks.
That two times ur main guy (QB) went down
Two times he could have been hurt
Two times he could have fumbled
Two times that sack could have came at a game changing time...

Okay, but then I could argue that a good run blocker is just as important for "protecting" your running back. You act like 2.5 is a high number, but 2.5 was 6th lowest out of all LT's in the league, and better than the following pro-bowlers:

Jordan Gross (3)
Joe Thomas (3.5)
Walter Jones (3.5 in 12 games)
Flozell Adams (7.25)
Jason Peters (11.5)

I guess Jay Cutler should fear for his life when those guys are blocking for him too.

Diehard
01-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Long and Clady are both fine players. Clady excels as a pass blocker, Long has the edge in run blocking. Flip a coin. The real travesty is that Peters made the pro bowl in the first place...

With Denver dropping the ZBS clady will be able to get alittle more recognition for his run blocking.

Uh, McDaniels kept our OL coach (Dennison), so obviously he liked what he saw this year. Patriots run some zone stuff too. I think we may see a change in the details, but I expect zone blocking will be alive and well in Denver for years to come.

56crash
01-27-2009, 04:43 PM
did he get the job ?

BRAVEHEART
01-27-2009, 04:46 PM
I believe he did.

56crash
01-27-2009, 04:46 PM
this is usually the time people go on vacation so looks like he wants to get better and help recruit for vandy that is a good thing ....

56crash
01-27-2009, 04:49 PM
lets hope I want Bowlen spending his money on player not excoaches....

56crash
01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Clady should of went to the probowl simple as that .

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-28-2009, 08:13 AM
this is usually the time people go on vacation so looks like he wants to get better and help recruit for vandy that is a good thing ....

good for who, sure as hell not the Broncos...

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-28-2009, 08:14 AM
Clady should of went to the probowl simple as that .

finally we've agree'd

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
yea, im pretty sure hes been inked.

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-28-2009, 03:51 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=DEN
NFL Network's Terrell Davis believes Ryan Torain (torn ACL) is still considered the best running back on the Broncos roster.

"The one guy I've heard -- and I've talked to a number of guys on that team -- is Ryan Torain. They say he's the guy." Torain may have the most upside on the roster, but he's not going to be ready to take on a lead back role in Week 1 -- just 10 months after tearing his ACL. The Broncos will look to upgrade the position in free agency and/or the draft.

How do you guys feel about Torain??

CT Bronco Fan
01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Lets use this thread to consolidate all Broncos news for the 2009 offseason into one thread.

Go Broncos!

CT Bronco Fan
01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=DEN

How do you guys feel about Torain??

I loved Torain when he played. I think him and Hillis are good reasons why we don't need RB's in this years draft.

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Lets use this thread to consolidate all Broncos news for the 2009 offseason into one thread.

Go Broncos!

weak.....

not a fan of this......

CT Bronco Fan
01-28-2009, 07:52 PM
weak.....

not a fan of this......

I made this thread for you actually, This would make it easier for you to post all the wonderful Broncos news, and would make it easier for everyone else, to be able to find the Bronco news without having to look through multiple threads. This way all of the bronco news can be looked at easily.

IPICKEDYOUOFF
01-28-2009, 09:08 PM
I made this thread for you actually, This would make it easier for you to post all the wonderful Broncos news, and would make it easier for everyone else, to be able to find the Bronco news without having to look through multiple threads. This way all of the bronco news can be looked at easily.

i disagree that its easier, sure its all in one place...but that is also the probelm.... however your the boss, and thanks to you sir...

jth1331
01-29-2009, 02:05 PM
People saying Torain is so good is hilarious to me, because all anyone has seen of him is half a game in which he did okay. Plus, he had 2 significant injuries last season that knocked him out. Durability concerns? Yes. I don't think he'll amount to anything.
Hillis is solid, but not an everydown back. He won't be able to hold up.

Diehard
01-30-2009, 10:36 AM
People saying Torain is so good is hilarious to me, because all anyone has seen of him is half a game in which he did okay. Plus, he had 2 significant injuries last season that knocked him out. Durability concerns? Yes.

Agreed. All the talent in the world won't matter if you can't last a whole game... which is precisely why I don't like Chris Wells as a prospect.

CT Bronco Fan
02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos on Monday announced the release of the following six players: John Engelberger, Nate Jackson, Niko Koutouvides, Marquand Manuel, DeWayne Robertson and Jamie Winborn.

Engelberger started six games for the Broncos in 2008, recording 51 tackles, and had spent the previous three seasons with the club. He began his career with the San Francisco 49ers.

2008 was Jackson's fifth year in the NFL, having spent every season with the Broncos. He started three games in place of the injured Tony Scheffler and caught 11 passes before being placed on injured reserve on November 20.

Koutouvides was a first-year Bronco after spending four seasons with the Seattle Seahawks. He saw action in 14 games in 2008, playing mostly on special teams.

Manuel was also a first-year Bronco after having played for the Bengals, Seahawks, Packers and Panthers. He started 14 games at strong safety for the Broncos in 2008.

Robertson joined the Broncos via trade with the New York Jets on April 24, 2008 and started 15 games at defensive tackle. He spent the first five years of his career with New York.

2008 marked Winborn's eighth year in the league and second with the Broncos. He started 11 games at linebacker after Boss Bailey suffered a season-ending injury.

CT Bronco Fan
02-16-2009, 08:34 PM
can i now tell all the "niko is awesome" folks from last season that i told them so?

too bad about robertson... i sort of wondered (only briefly) if he'd fit at 3-4 end.

winborn is the worst linebacker in the league, and i sincerely hope he signs with san diego or something.

actually wouldn't be surprised if they brought Robertson back, cutting him the Broncos added 16 million to their cap for this off season. 2.7 mil saved for Kouto, 2.25 M for Winborn, 1.25 for Manuel. 1.5M for Englerberger. These cuts gave the Broncos roughly 23 million in cap room by cutting these defenders.

CT Bronco Fan
02-16-2009, 09:20 PM
does that put us at like 80 under? i thought we were already like 40 under?

Eddie Mac over at the Mane, is a "capologist" he has us at 14.5 under the cap before these cuts, after this cuts we should be around 37-40 million in cap space. not sure of the exact numbers, but we are in pretty excellent cap shape. Enough to lure Peppers I imagine.

rascal
02-17-2009, 04:27 PM
I for one don't want Peppers. Especially to play a 3-4 OLB spot which is easily filled through the draft. We already have on in Dumervil and the other one can be filled through a tweener which are abundant in the drafts these days. Instead spend that money on a NT, DE (Thomas being the other) and ILB next to DJ.

bored of education
02-17-2009, 06:02 PM
who, in free agency, do you propose spending that money on? i have serious doubts about haynesworth as a NT. i don't see a lot of expensive 3-4 DEs on the market. and i don't really see any ILBs i want.

i'd rather get peppers, then fill ILB and DT via the draft.

Would be nice if Raji fell to you. To bad he actually tried at the Senior Bowl.

CT Bronco Fan
02-17-2009, 07:47 PM
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- A day after releasing six players, the Broncos have made another transaction.

On Tuesday the team announced the release of Dre' Bly.
Bly, an 11th-year player, spent the previous two seasons with the Broncos after they acquired him in a trade from Detroit on March 2, 2007.

Bly started all 16 games in both seasons in Denver, posting 57 and 77 tackles respectively. He also notched seven interceptions in his two years with the Broncos.

rascal
02-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Assuming no spending limit:

CB-McAllister
S-Atoghwe
DE Canty
ILB - Scott or Dansby

rascal
02-18-2009, 12:07 PM
dansby's franchised. and he's probably not worth whatever arizona wants for him.

mcalister is basically done. he wouldnt' be an upgrade over bly.

He wasn't franchised when I typed that, but yes he is. You are probably right about McAlister. I didn't realize he was 31 years old. Not a good age for severe knee surgery.

Since I'm dreaming we could target Nnamdi Asomugha as a CB.

Bart Scott is still available and would be a good pick up for ILB in a 3-4. DJ just reneged his contract so we at least know of one LB for next year. I doubt he will play OLB in a 3-4.

I think Dumervil would be an excellent OLB in a 3-4. I'm not sure about Moss and Crowder if we will be able to use them for anything though. Moss might be able to, but I think Crowder would have to get bigger and play DE (doubtful).

Thomas IMO is a good candidate for a 3-4 DE and I think Powell is as well. NT is a gaping hole though.

As is safety (Barrett??) and CB. Anybody else having second thoughts about us trading Foxworth to Atlanta?

IndyColtScout
02-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I have a friend here in Indy that is a Broncos fan. He used to live in DEN.

We talk about whom you guys will go after all the time.

My personal thought is that McDaniels wants to pass the ball like he did two years ago with Brady. With 25 MIL + in cap room, I wouldn't be surprised if TJ Housh is one of your top targets. Yeah, you got #15 & #19 but Stokley is older, and not much behind him. Adding Housh would take a load of Marshall and lead to a lot of single coverage for Royal and Marshall. Makes a lot of sense to me. Also, I think Jeff Saturday is going to be a target of the Broncos whether or not Weigman comes back.

Defensively, I think three players really stick out. Kevlin Hayden/Dunta Robinson, James Sanders, and Channing Crowder. I could see you guys landing all three. You guys also need to be looking at 34 Dlinemen but I don't think there are many quality 34 linemen out there to be signed. Probably going to have to build that part of the team through the draft. I expect Dumervil to move outside and be your guys version of James Harrison. In the 2nd round I expect to see you guys find the LB that will go on the other side.

Those are my thoughts...

IndyColtScout
02-18-2009, 12:57 PM
for a second, i had a really strong, negative reaction to that. then i thought... 'boy, if his contract isn't too hideous, that would be an interesting move.' of course, i expect his contract to be upwards of 5-6m a year.

don't like this move. adding a 33 year old c does nothing for the team if wiegman's back. if he's not? meh. i'd rather grab mack if he's there in the 2nd.

Saturday is a perfect fit for your O-Line scheme and I think he could even move to OG if needed. I'm not sure if you remember this, but a few years back when DEN and IND played in the playoffs, Saturday made a one game move to OG for matchup reasons and played well. He's 33, but I think he's got 2 pro bowl years left. He's very smart and has enough quickness to be effective in the ZBS still.

CT Bronco Fan
02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Broncos plan to move Moss to linebacker

Defensive end Jarvis Moss will be taking a couple of steps back.

Now that the Broncos will use more of a 3-4 defensive alignment, Moss, the Broncos' first-round pick in the 2007 draft, has learned he'll be moving to outside linebacker in Mike Nolan's new scheme.

"They feel like it could be good for Jarvis, because he hasn't put on the weight you would expect a defensive end to have. And he's athletic enough to do it," Moss' agent, Pat Dye Jr., said Friday. "My sense is he'll be an outside linebacker and a big pass-rusher primarily."

The team previously had alerted Elvis Dumervil to the possibility of making the transition from a down lineman to a stand-up defender.

Moss has vowed to add 10 pounds this offseason while working with a nutritionist and strength coaches in Gainesville, Fla. But he has had difficulty moving north of the 255 pounds he carried at season's end.

The key challenge for Moss in his new position will be proving he can backpedal and turn in coverage. He has dropped periodically in zone-blitz situations in the past.

"We actually did some of that before the draft because the 3-4 teams obviously didn't see him as a defensive end in a 3-4 scheme," Dye said. "So the 3-4 teams put him through linebacker drills and he did fine.

"He's plenty athletic. My hope was at this point he'd weigh 265-270 and be a prototypical defensive end, but that hasn't happened. So this could kind of be a rebirth for him."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/20/bronocs-plan-move-moss-linebacker/

Diehard
02-23-2009, 11:55 PM
Lots to catch up on after 2 weeks in the tropical sun...

I really, really like these cuts. I'm hoping they let most of the FA's walk as well... as that would really clear out the trash heap. I did read something about them trying to get Kenny Peterson resigned, which is okay IMO as he could be decent as a 3-4 DE. One thing is for sure - we'll be bringing in a *lot* of new bodies on defense.

As for Moss, the transition to linebacker was obvious... but we've got another conversion project in Dumervil, and they'll both be competing for the weakside OLB spot. I don't see either guy in the mix on the strong side, where taking on the TE (both in blocking and coverage) is a major responsibility. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

CT Bronco Fan
02-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Lots to catch up on after 2 weeks in the tropical sun...

I really, really like these cuts. I'm hoping they let most of the FA's walk as well... as that would really clear out the trash heap. I did read something about them trying to get Kenny Peterson resigned, which is okay IMO as he could be decent as a 3-4 DE. One thing is for sure - we'll be bringing in a *lot* of new bodies on defense.

As for Moss, the transition to linebacker was obvious... but we've got another conversion project in Dumervil, and they'll both be competing for the weakside OLB spot. I don't see either guy in the mix on the strong side, where taking on the TE (both in blocking and coverage) is a major responsibility. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I remember reading in an article the Broncos had no intentions of resigning any of their current free agents, except possibly Kenny Peterson to play a 3-4 end, or Nate Webster if he signed for a vet minimum.

Diehard
02-24-2009, 01:08 AM
I remember reading in an article the Broncos had no intentions of resigning any of their current free agents, except possibly Kenny Peterson to play a 3-4 end, or Nate Webster if he signed for a vet minimum.

Peterson is fine, Webster not so much...

Certainly leaves a lot of work to be done in FA - I can easily see us picking up a half-dozen veterans to compete for starting spots.

holt_bruce81
02-24-2009, 01:15 AM
I've heard that Denver is very interested in Ron Bartell.

If you guys don't throw the bank at him, he'd be a very good get.

Diehard
02-24-2009, 01:27 AM
I've heard that Denver is very interested in Ron Bartell.

If you guys don't throw the bank at him, he'd be a very good get.

I remember seeing him play well against the 49ers late in the season. Why are the Rams letting him hit FA?

I like him a hell of a lot more than Bryant McFadden, who's another option at CB.

holt_bruce81
02-24-2009, 01:30 AM
I remember seeing him play well against the 49ers late in the season. Why are the Rams letting him hit FA?

I like him a hell of a lot more than Bryant McFadden, who's another option at CB.

The money.

Rams don't have a lot. their negotiating but the 2 sides aren't even close.

Diehard
02-24-2009, 01:38 AM
The money.

Rams don't have a lot. their negotiating but the 2 sides aren't even close.

That's unfortunate... and Asomugha's massive payday has the potential to further inflate CB salary expectations.

IndyColtScout
02-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey guys I was talking to my Broncos friend here in Indy and we had a lengthy discussion about Fred Taylor and signing him to a 2 year type of deal. What are your thoughts?

Both my friend and I seemed to agree that he would be the perfect mentor for Hillis and Torain for a few season while also lessing the amount of tread the two will get on their tires.

I think that would be a real underrated signing for you guys.

Diehard
02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I can imagine getting one good year out of him, after that I wouldn't count on much production. He could provide some leadership and be a good mentor to Torain or a rookie RB, though, which increases his value to some extent.

As was said previously, if the price was nice it wouldn't be a bad move. I don't see it happening, though.

holt_bruce81
02-26-2009, 01:28 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3193

The Broncos have "lowered their sights" away from free agent CB Ronald Bartell, according to the Denver Post.
Phillip Buchanon reportedly appears a likelier target. Bryant McFadden and Bartell will probably both command five-year, $40 million contracts with $18M or more guaranteed. Denver has too many needs to tie its cap up in 2-3 guys.

rascal
02-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Buchanon...ugh.

And apparently we are interested in Shaun Rogers and Grady Jackson. Nice to know that despite Shanny leaving we are still interested in fat slobs who are way over-rated and over-priced.

CT Bronco Fan
02-27-2009, 02:57 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9271500/Source:-Denver-acquires-ex-Philly,-Cards-RBs

Source: Denver expected to acquire Buckhalter

New Denver head coach Josh McDaniels must have thought running back was his team's most pressing free-agent need.

The Broncos are strongly courting two of them by setting up visits with Correll Buckhalter (Philadelphia) and J.J. Arrington (Arizona) at the start of the signing period, a source told FOXSports.com. Both players are expected to sign Friday after passing physical exams.

Buckhalter can be considered a frontrunner for a starting spot, while Arrington is likely to fill a niche as a third-down specialist and kickoff returner.

A backup behind Brian Westbrook for most of his eight seasons in Philadelphia, the 30-year-old Buckhalter has battled back from knee injuries that forced him to miss the 2002, 2004 and 2005 campaigns. Buckhalter started two games in 2008 and finished the season with 369 rushing yards and two touchdowns on 76 attempts. He also is an effective receiver coming out of the backfield.

Arrington never fulfilled the expectations that came with being Arizona's second-round draft pick in 2005. But he did start three games for the 2008 Cardinals team that reached Super Bowl XLIII. Arrington tallied 432 combined yards from scrimmage (rushing and receiving) and averaged 25.6 yards on kickoff returns with one touchdown.

Denver finished last season with seven running backs on injured reserve.
~~

Not sure why we'd really want a career IR guy. But we'll see I guess.

jth1331
02-27-2009, 04:00 AM
First, no to Fred Taylor. This Bronco team isn't on the verge of winning a Super Bowl, and I would rather shy away from signing someone who may be done with his career.

ew. philip buchanon? can he even return kicks anymore?

Buchanon wouldn't be that bad of a fit depending on the money. He was decent for the Bucs last year.
Besides, we have our return man in Royal.

Buchanon...ugh.

And apparently we are interested in Shaun Rogers and Grady Jackson. Nice to know that despite Shanny leaving we are still interested in fat slobs who are way over-rated and over-priced.

Shaun Rogers is no way overrated. He made the Pro Bowl for a reason. He is damn good, it is just he has moments of inconsistency. Something that I think Albert Haynesworth has but people overlook those with him.
And I think the Broncos need to get some veteran NT in free agency. I don't want to pin the hopes up on some rookie coming in.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9271500/Source:-Denver-acquires-ex-Philly,-Cards-RBs

Source: Denver expected to acquire Buckhalter

New Denver head coach Josh McDaniels must have thought running back was his team's most pressing free-agent need.

The Broncos are strongly courting two of them by setting up visits with Correll Buckhalter (Philadelphia) and J.J. Arrington (Arizona) at the start of the signing period, a source told FOXSports.com. Both players are expected to sign Friday after passing physical exams.

Buckhalter can be considered a frontrunner for a starting spot, while Arrington is likely to fill a niche as a third-down specialist and kickoff returner.

A backup behind Brian Westbrook for most of his eight seasons in Philadelphia, the 30-year-old Buckhalter has battled back from knee injuries that forced him to miss the 2002, 2004 and 2005 campaigns. Buckhalter started two games in 2008 and finished the season with 369 rushing yards and two touchdowns on 76 attempts. He also is an effective receiver coming out of the backfield.

Arrington never fulfilled the expectations that came with being Arizona's second-round draft pick in 2005. But he did start three games for the 2008 Cardinals team that reached Super Bowl XLIII. Arrington tallied 432 combined yards from scrimmage (rushing and receiving) and averaged 25.6 yards on kickoff returns with one touchdown.

Denver finished last season with seven running backs on injured reserve.
~~

Roster fodder IMO, lol

Diehard
02-27-2009, 09:35 AM

It looks like they want to acquire a veteran guy to bring in on passing downs. That kind of ability would complement what we have in Torain & Hillis pretty well... and has the potential to solidify the backfield enough so they can use the draft to address other areas.

Diehard
02-27-2009, 12:25 PM
I think CB was on the radar until the stupidly huge CB contracts starting getting signed (good lord, look at the ridiculous $$$ Foxworth just got).

Perhaps the team simply feels the value-for-money in FA lies on offense. Get a veteran WR, a pass-catching back... solidify the weapons around Cutler. I'm sure we'll pick up some defensive depth, but that's probably going to come after the first frenzy of signings is over.

jCut
02-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Sweet! Our first signing is...... a long snapper.......

wtf happened to Mike Leach?

rascal
02-27-2009, 04:25 PM
The team has agreed to four-year contracts with running backs J.J. Arrington and Correll Buckhalter. Denver has also agreed to a five-year deal with former New England long-snapper Lonie Paxton.

I like the additions of Arrington and Buckhalter. Could care less about Paxton.

Also signed Brian Dawkins to a 2 year deal. Helps us now while we rebuild through the draft. I like it.

rascal
02-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Broncos signed S Renaldo Hill to a four-year, $10 million contract. If the Brian Dawkins report is true, the Broncos now have two veteran starters at safety as they rebuild their defense on the fly. Hill will play center field while Dawkins plays up against the run.

rascal
02-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Also signed Jabar Gaffney to the same terms.

rascal
02-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah Gaffney is nothing better than a #4 WR. I still think Royal is better suited for the slot and we need another WR to work outside of him.

Hill is nothing fancy, but an upgrade over what we had.

So we still need a CB, ILB, OLB, DE, and NT.

rascal
02-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Philadelphia Eagles safety Brian Dawkins is headed to Denver. Whether he stays remains to be seen.

The 13 year veteran is exploring his options and the Broncos are considered a front runner for his services. He's expected to arrive in Denver Friday to speak with the team. Despite a report in the San Francisco Chronicle that the Broncos have reached an agreement with Dawkins, there are no indications that any sort of deal has been done.

The NFL Network reports that Dawkins will talk to the Broncos, but still plans to speak with his current team in Philadelphia.

CT Bronco Fan
03-02-2009, 10:03 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/132598-broncos-in-the-running-for-lewis

Take it for what it's worth. Denver is in the running for Ray Lewis. I've never heard of the site, but Ray Lewis would sure look good in orange and blue.