PDA

View Full Version : Steve Breaston

thenewfeature06
02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Last night Breaston had 6 rec. for 71 yards.. although that doesnt look like much he made great catches ( holding onto the ball after getting hammered )

WHo in this years draft reminds you of Breaston the most?

Hawk
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
High profile recruit
Burst onto the scene freshman year
Stayed in the shadow for the next 3 years
Really fast.
Underrated

I have no clue.

Favre4
02-02-2009, 01:43 PM
yeah i cant really think of anyone with the skill set in this years class. he isn't small and he still has good speed. i would be interested to see how he does without bolding and fitz on the field though.

CashmoneyDrew
02-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Sammie Stroughter maybe? This should probably be in the draft section though since that's the main goal of this thread I reckon'.

Michigan
02-02-2009, 01:52 PM
The guy has to be a REALLY long-strider too.

UKfan
02-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I have no idea why, but Derrick Williams reminds me a bit of him.

tjsunstein
02-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Deon Butler, maybe? Mike Wallace?

fenikz
02-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Sammie Stroughter maybe? This should probably be in the draft section though since that's the main goal of this thread I reckon'.

I like this comparison

thenewfeature06
02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
I like the Deon Bulter comparison

Solomon
02-02-2009, 02:10 PM
High profile recruit
Really fast.
Underrated

I have no clue.

That sounds pretty damn similiar to Derrick Williams. Except for the underrated part since it looks like Williams is going to be a second or third rounder.

tjsunstein
02-02-2009, 02:10 PM
I like the Deon Bulter comparison

My comparison FTW!

bored of education
02-02-2009, 02:23 PM
So, the real question: Will S.Holmes career catapult because of this performance. Everyone knew he had the potential to be a 70,1000,12 tds type. Will his post season success carry over to next year?

tony77
02-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Ask Deion Branch...

bored of education
02-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Ask Deion Branch...

What about him. Very different situation IMO. Holmes is staying with Pitt unless I missed something

captainjack27
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Deon Butler definitely.

Ness
02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Jarrett Dillard?

Menardo75
02-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Samie Stroughter sounds pretty close for sure.

thetedginnshow
02-02-2009, 03:48 PM
What about him. Very different situation IMO. Holmes is staying with Pitt unless I missed something

He said that because everyone is on Santonio's jock after a big game in the Super Bowl.

bored of education
02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
He said that because everyone is on Santonio's jock after a big game in the Super Bowl.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok...............................

SeanTaylorRIP
02-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Samie Stroughter sounds pretty close for sure.

Yup that would be my best comparison as well although I can see D.J. Boldin being undrafted and making an impact as a Punt Returner and slot receiver.

TimD
02-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Derrick Williams!!! Zomg!!! DW!!!! GO PENN STATE! :) !!!!

No but seriously Williams does remind me a bit of Breaston. Or visa-versa, however you look at it.

bored of education
02-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Derrick Williams!!! Zomg!!! DW!!!! GO PENN STATE! :) !!!!

No but seriously Williams does remind me a bit of Breaston. Or visa-versa, however you look at it.

ZOMGZ SNIPERZ LOVEZ D WILLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

etk
02-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Yup that would be my best comparison as well although I can see D.J. Boldin being undrafted and making an impact as a Punt Returner and slot receiver.

I said the same things about Kenny Moore last year :(

BlindSite
02-02-2009, 04:42 PM

I've been all over his nuts since his rookie season, I really wanted this kid.

DJC
02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Brooks Foster? Good size and great speed. Played behind Tate and Nicks for most of his career.

bored of education
02-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I've been all over his nuts since his rookie season, I really wanted this kid.

How many people's nuts are you on? Do you get alot of frequent nut hugging miles?

Link me to your plan please!

ChiFan24
02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
High profile recruit
Really fast.
Underrated

I have no clue.

I'm assuming the last sentence was sarcasm, in which case I agree that Derrick Williams fits the description well. Stroughter and maybe Brandon Tate as well.

tjsunstein
02-02-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm assuming the last sentence was sarcasm, in which case I agree that Derrick Williams fits the description well. Stroughter and maybe Brandon Tate as well.

Does Brandon Tate have that kind of speed? I didnt think he was as fast as Breaston before the injury and its gonna be interesting to see how he runs after it.

SeanTaylorRIP
02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Does Brandon Tate have that kind of speed? I didnt think he was as fast as Breaston before the injury and its gonna be interesting to see how he runs after it.

Breaston ran like a 4.47 I think Tate could challenge that. I think Tate is stronger and quicker, but Breaston is faster, better acceleration.

Malaka
02-02-2009, 09:35 PM
High profile recruit
Really fast.
Underrated

I have no clue.

The way you put it the first thing I thought of was Derrick Williams.

BlindSite
02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
How many people's nuts are you on? Do you get alot of frequent nut hugging miles?

Link me to your plan please!

About 30, my plan is pretty affordable

Shiver
02-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Ted Ginn at #9... hahahahahahahahahahaha, and the Cards got the rich man's equivalent.

ironman4579
02-03-2009, 04:33 AM
Breaston ran like a 4.47 I think Tate could challenge that. I think Tate is stronger and quicker, but Breaston is faster, better acceleration.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he ran a 4.41 as his low time at the combine. And I'm sorry, in terms of skill set Derrick Williams is a horrible comparison. Breaston also has great return ability. Williams had trouble fielding punts at the senior bowl. Breaston is a better return man than Williams is IMO.

But I think Williams does have better return numbers overall, so what do I know?

ironman4579
02-03-2009, 04:35 AM
Ted Ginn at #9... hahahahahahahahahahaha, and the Cards got the rich man's equivalent.

Truth. Not that Ginn played poorly, and he's in a different offense at Miami, but they're basically the same player, and the Cards got Breaston 4 rounds later.

El Peefs?????
02-03-2009, 05:05 AM
Well as a Michigan fan who watched Breaston closely for his entire college career, Im honestly shocked at how well he has matured as a WR.

He honestly seemed lost as a WR a lot in college. He ran poor routes, did a terrible job of adjusting his routes to come back or help out the QB, and displayed very suspect hands. He was always an excellent return man but Im surprised he ran a 4.41 in the combine. He has good change of direction and acceleration but seemed to get chased down and caught up to quite often.

HellonEarth84
02-03-2009, 05:50 AM
Well as a Michigan fan who watched Breaston closely for his entire college career, Im honestly shocked at how well he has matured as a WR.

He honestly seemed lost as a WR a lot in college. He ran poor routes, did a terrible job of adjusting his routes to come back or help out the QB, and displayed very suspect hands. He was always an excellent return man but Im surprised he ran a 4.41 in the combine. He has good change of direction and acceleration but seemed to get chased down and caught up to quite often.

He learnt from two great WRs in Fitz and Boldin, and also gets to line up against the oppositions 3rd CB.

gafyobop
02-06-2009, 07:47 PM
High profile recruit
Really fast.
Underrated

I have no clue.

He was more productive than Ginn but Ginn got the pub.

When he put up a 4.4 in the Combine I knew he was legit b/c everythign else was excellent at the U

CC.SD
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM
This thread seems ripe for a Nelsonzzz.

El Peefs?????
02-06-2009, 08:43 PM
He learnt from two great WRs in Fitz and Boldin, and also gets to line up against the oppositions 3rd CB.

We've seen a lot of mediocre WR come up big as the 3rd option in a potent passing attack so I agree on that part. However, Boldin doesnt seem to me the type of guy who is going to go out of his way to help out a younger player. Boldin is all about Boldin. As far as Fitzgerald, hes a great WR and a good guy but is pretty young himself. He is still improving so I dont know how much hes going to be working to help out a similar aged guy at this point in his career.

ironman4579
02-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Let's be honest. While I love Breaston because he's a Michigan guy, he's basically a very good #3 slot guy/punt returner. He played very well as the #2 filling in when Boldin was injured, but I think if anyone expects to put him in that situation regularly and see great success, they may be fooling themselves.

El Peefs?????
02-06-2009, 08:56 PM
Let's be honest. While I love Breaston because he's a Michigan guy, he's basically a very good #3 slot guy/punt returner. He played very well as the #2 filling in when Boldin was injured, but I think if anyone expects to put him in that situation regularly and see great success, they may be fooling themselves.

Ya he definitely needs a legit QB and another big time WR to take pressure off of him. He is far from a #1 WR, but I am impressed with the strides hes made as a pro. I really cooled down a lot as a fan of his later on in his college career when he seemingly got worse as a wide out. I was really impressed with some of the tough catches he was able to pull down in the playoffs.

Ness
02-06-2009, 11:32 PM
We've seen a lot of mediocre WR come up big as the 3rd option in a potent passing attack so I agree on that part. However, Boldin doesnt seem to me the type of guy who is going to go out of his way to help out a younger player. Boldin is all about Boldin. As far as Fitzgerald, hes a great WR and a good guy but is pretty young himself. He is still improving so I dont know how much hes going to be working to help out a similar aged guy at this point in his career.How is Boldin all about Boldin? This is the same guy that went out of his way for his teammates about the contract situation and waited until the offseason to deal with it since he said he didn't want to become a huge distraction. Boldin has come off as a good teammate as they can testify, it's just on the business side of things in the NFL he's looking out for himself. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Smokey Joe
02-07-2009, 12:22 AM
In 2007 it was Steve Breaston. (didn't break out until 2008)

In 2008 it was Eddie Royal.

In 2009 it will be.... Derrick Williams.

All of these players are very similar, IMO. All three were highly touted coming out of HS (well, I'm not sure on Royal). All three didn't do much on the college level as receivers, but all made impacts in the return game. 2 of them have been better pros then college players, and I expect Williams to do the same. All of them are around 6'0" 190, and all of them have very good speed.

The difference though is that Breaston was over looked (round 6?), while Royal was taken early in the 2nd and it looks like Williams will go in the 2nd-3rd range.

Menardo75
02-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Sniper strikes in three....two.....one

Zyro_1014
02-07-2009, 01:45 AM
In 2007 it was Steve Breaston. (didn't break out until 2008)

In 2008 it was Eddie Royal.

In 2009 it will be.... Derrick Williams.

All of these players are very similar, IMO. All three were highly touted coming out of HS (well, I'm not sure on Royal). All three didn't do much on the college level as receivers, but all made impacts in the return game. 2 of them have been better pros then college players, and I expect Williams to do the same. All of them are around 6'0" 190, and all of them have very good speed.

The difference though is that Breaston was over looked (round 6?), while Royal was taken early in the 2nd and it looks like Williams will go in the 2nd-3rd range.

you might get raped for that.

Bucs_Rule
03-03-2009, 06:30 PM
We've seen a lot of mediocre WR come up big as the 3rd option in a potent passing attack so I agree on that part. However, Boldin doesnt seem to me the type of guy who is going to go out of his way to help out a younger player. Boldin is all about Boldin. As far as Fitzgerald, hes a great WR and a good guy but is pretty young himself. He is still improving so I dont know how much hes going to be working to help out a similar aged guy at this point in his career.

Even if they don't help him out, I have no idea if they do or don't. Just watching great players and seeing them perform in practice for months can make a big impact.