PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 Recruiting Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

ToldLikeItIs
07-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Common knowledge?

Ishmael Thomas has never publically stated Iowa as a leader, however yes he will be commiting to the Hawkeyes very shortly. Fair?

wicket
07-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Common knowledge?

Ishmael Thomas has never publically stated Iowa as a leader, however yes he will be commiting to the Hawkeyes very shortly. Fair?

spencer boyd never publically called ND his leader but still everybody knew he was gonna commit to ND today (well it was made easier by it leaking out two days before but still people knew it way earlier). Still glad he committed to us though

BRAVEHEART
07-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Why would any running back go to the Vols after getting two blue chip runners last season?

I am going to go on a limb and say that Marcus Lattimore will be a Lion. If he isn't so be it, but I will say it so I have something to gloat on. I don't really expect him to be a Lion.

so you're just hoping, and if he does (he won't) then you're going to gloat?

cool man.

what he said.

I'm gonna call that he goes to USC (cocks).

HindSight
07-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Common knowledge?

I can go to Buckeye Planet and find out who is going to be committing to Ohio State without public declarations of who leads, and then run over here and post it and then claim I'm always right....but that's kind of lame. If this is something you're getting from a legit source (yeah right) then that's one thing. If it's just you gleaming crap off of other pages, then don't act like you're predicting it.

JayP
07-17-2009, 01:20 PM
I really like our chances with jordon james though

I agree on that one. There's a few spots saying it's a UCLA/ND race for him.

You have to have this attitude at USC, if not you'll end up transferring or losing your job

Every D-1 player believes that they can walk in and start from day 1. Then they hit campus, and reality sets in that they're not physically ready to compete. Just fact for most, except the freakish ones.

He's still a SC lean.

How can you be a lean for a school you just eliminated?

BRAVEHEART
07-17-2009, 01:22 PM
I agree on that one. There's a few spots saying it's a UCLA/ND race for him.

Every D-1 player believes that they can walk in and start from day 1. Then they hit campus, and reality sets in that they're not physically ready to compete. Just fact for most, except the freakish ones.

How can you be a lean for a school you just eliminated?

Robert Powell didn't eliminate us.

JayP
07-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Robert Powell didn't eliminate us.

Gotcha. You didn't mention a name. I thought you were talking about Jefferson. Where you do think Tony will end up with USC out of the running?

BRAVEHEART
07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Gotcha. You didn't mention a name. I thought you were talking about Jefferson. Where you do think Tony will end up with USC out of the running?

He was high on Florida, so I beleive they would be the leader.

DoWnThEfiElD
07-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Tony Jefferson to visit Michigan.. Don't know much about him at all.

bearsfan_51
07-17-2009, 03:32 PM
I can go to Buckeye Planet and find out who is going to be committing to Ohio State without public declarations of who leads, and then run over here and post it and then claim I'm always right....but that's kind of lame. If this is something you're getting from a legit source (yeah right) then that's one thing. If it's just you gleaming crap off of other pages, then don't act like you're predicting it.

Come on..he just got his % above 10% and now you're asking him to be original too? Baby steps...

BRAVEHEART
07-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Tony Jefferson to visit Michigan.. Don't know much about him at all.

Aggressive undersized OLB/SS tweener. Needs work at the SS posistion, but has a nice upside. Fierce tackler, and strong for his size too. Has the speed to play SS, but looks stiff in coverage and confused at times (based off of his RSC performances).

Hines
07-17-2009, 06:58 PM
Let me make myself clear. I am no way saying that Lattimore is a Penn State lock, but I am going to say he is going there. I think one of the Carolina's have an upper edge, but I will say Penn State has as good of chance as anyone. Contradicting, yes, but who gives a ****!

BRAVEHEART
07-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Let me make myself clear. I am no way saying that Lattimore is a Penn State lock, but I am going to say he is going there. I think one of the Carolina's have an upper edge, but I will say Penn State has as good of chance as anyone. Contradicting, yes, but who gives a ****!

Scar is 1a Fsu is 1b, if that helps you at all.

ToldLikeItIs
07-18-2009, 03:30 AM
That's like asking Tim Brewster not to lie to his own fanbase, every time he says anything.

Yeah right? There is no buckeyeplanet type site for Iowa. It's hawkeyereport and hawkeyenation. The premium information there is hardly ground breaking.

Why haven't I been talking about Lewis lately? Because I was told, by my source, that Lewis isn't a Hawkeye guy and is looking for the most glamorous offer. Despite the fact OSU never offered, I haven't been talking about him on this board for a month, and that's why.

I was also told our staff likes Brandon Scherff more than Seantrel Henderson as an OL prospect. Because he plays four sports, well, and is probably the biggest quarterback (at 6'6 295) in the country. He also actually received his verbal offer before even Aj Derby at a camp where David Barrent, OL recruit in 09 and MSU commit, couldn't compete.

Hindsight, unlike you, I am a Hawkeye alumnus, and Iowa City isn't exactly a massive place. Another thing that helps, my Freshman year roommate ended up living with an equipment manager for two years. My information is legitimate. Deal with it.

CLong4Heisman
07-18-2009, 01:38 PM
\
I was also told our staff likes Brandon Scherff more than Seantrel Henderson as an OL prospect.

I dont buy that for a second. Also, I did some research on current lineman from Iowa that are in the NFL. There are only 6 which is more that Minnesotas 1. However there is only one tackle from Iowa, Robert Gallery ,the number 4 pick of the 2003 draft. I wouldnt call him a success as a tackle. So why would Henderson want to follow in his footsteps as a below average tackle?

keylime_5
07-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Gallery was the #2 overall pick, and Bryan Bulaga looks like he could be top ten as well. Who wants to go somewhere where they can make you a top pick?

bearsfan_51
07-18-2009, 05:15 PM
Gallery was the #2 overall pick, and Bryan Bulaga looks like he could be top ten as well. Who wants to go somewhere where they can make you a top pick?

Because it's Iowa.

Look, I have never said Iowa didn't have a top notch staff, but the facts don't lie. Top prospects don't go to Iowa. They never have, they never will. Seantrel is going to get top notch coaching wherever he goes.

keylime_5
07-18-2009, 05:19 PM
maybe not one as good as Henderson, but I can see why a good midwestern lineman prospect would find appeal at Iowa.

BPhilb
07-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Tristan Holt DB switched his commitment from Baylor to Missouri yesterday.

jbeans187
07-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Tristan Holt DB switched his commitment from Baylor to Missouri yesterday.

Sounds like a stud big and fast corner that has been tearing up camps

BigJohn98
07-18-2009, 10:12 PM
Corey Miller and Terrance Brooks commit to FSU tonight. One down, two to go with the Byrnes trio.

Lamarcus Joyner and Christian Green were not in attendance.

BigJohn98
07-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Chris Dunkley was seen wearing an FSU hat tonight.

sbh15
07-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Chris Dunkley was seen wearing an FSU hat tonight.

And is still 90% chance going to be a Gator.

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-18-2009, 11:58 PM
LSU picked up 2 commits from 4* DE Jordan Allen and DT Elliot Porter.

Allen is huge imo.

ToldLikeItIs
07-19-2009, 06:09 AM
100% true about Scherff.

Actually we one tackle in the NFL, Marshal Yanda.

Bulaga, Calloway, Doering, and Richardson will likely all be drafted in 2010.

Bearsfan, horrible argument. If this was a WR or CB from Minnesota, it would have bearing.

ToldLikeItIs
07-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Willie Guy, Ronnie Harmon, Tim Dwight, Chuck Long, Larry Station were all top ten prospects nationally fwiw. Guy was the consensus #1. Harmon was #3.

iowatreat54
07-19-2009, 09:47 AM
There's a good chance Doering doesn't play football after this year. Take it fwiw.

ToldLikeItIs
07-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Because Angerer absolutely knocked him out?
Not a chance.
He's still a 4th rounder, and he knows it.

iowatreat54
07-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Because he's sick of playing football...

I don't want to start rumors or anything, but he has been sick of football for about 2-3 years and can't wait until it's over.

JoeyJr09
07-19-2009, 10:36 AM
And is still 90% chance going to be a Gator.

Watch out for USC.

Boone is looking elsewhere as well.

There's a reason you took Louis.

ToldLikeItIs
07-19-2009, 10:55 AM
Are you saying he won't play this year?

iowatreat54
07-19-2009, 10:58 AM
I'm pretty sure he is playing this year. But to my knowledge, he is looking forward to being done with football.

DoWnThEfiElD
07-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I was also told our staff likes Brandon Scherff more than Seantrel Henderson as an OL prospect. Because he plays four sports, well, and is probably the biggest quarterback (at 6'6 295) in the country.

If thats true your staff should be fired.

TigerBait45
07-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Tyler Stephenson to Baylor.

Great pickup for them, especially considering he dropped them out of his top 5 the other day.

wicket
07-19-2009, 06:47 PM
darryl baldwin to pOSU, not suprising at all but a good pickup nonetheless

sbh15
07-19-2009, 09:34 PM
Watch out for USC.

Boone is looking elsewhere as well.

There's a reason you took Louis.

We didn't take Louis, that was rumor. We no longer expect to get Boone, and Dunkley is the biggest Gator lock besides Chaz Green that isn't committed right now.

He's just taking his time, but there's nothing for UF to be worried about.

kwilk103
07-20-2009, 12:15 AM
2011 oline landon turner from va

likely top 10 olineman nationally

any va guys know anything about him?

i really like our chances; grew up a wvu fan dad played lb here, and uncle is former wvu AA jim braxton (one of the fr. dorms named after him)

ToldLikeItIs
07-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Carl Davis soon

ToldLikeItIs
07-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Wrong about Thomas now

HindSight
07-20-2009, 09:20 AM
That's like asking Tim Brewster not to lie to his own fanbase, every time he says anything.

Yeah right? There is no buckeyeplanet type site for Iowa. It's hawkeyereport and hawkeyenation. The premium information there is hardly ground breaking.

Why haven't I been talking about Lewis lately? Because I was told, by my source, that Lewis isn't a Hawkeye guy and is looking for the most glamorous offer. Despite the fact OSU never offered, I haven't been talking about him on this board for a month, and that's why.

I was also told our staff likes Brandon Scherff more than Seantrel Henderson as an OL prospect. Because he plays four sports, well, and is probably the biggest quarterback (at 6'6 295) in the country. He also actually received his verbal offer before even Aj Derby at a camp where David Barrent, OL recruit in 09 and MSU commit, couldn't compete.

Hindsight, unlike you, I am a Hawkeye alumnus, and Iowa City isn't exactly a massive place. Another thing that helps, my Freshman year roommate ended up living with an equipment manager for two years. My information is legitimate. Deal with it.
You don't know anything about me. Unless you're saying I didn't go to Iowa, which is obvious (hey! just like your "predictions"!)

If your info is legit, why are you always wrong?

HindSight
07-20-2009, 09:22 AM

i really like our chances; grew up a wvu fan dad played lb here, and uncle is former wvu AA jim braxton (one of the fr. dorms named after him)
:lol: yeah I'd say you should like your chances.

wicket
07-20-2009, 09:29 AM
seantrell is apparently down to three with usc, osu and florida, guy apparently is mainly (only) interested in the big time

ToldLikeItIs
07-20-2009, 09:42 AM
seantrel will choose based on season performance imo..

been wrong before

kids change their mind

apparently millard is being looked at as LB..

doesnt really bother me

im saying hindsight i actually WENT TO IOWA..as in school..

ironman4579
07-20-2009, 09:47 AM

been wrong before

kids change their mind

doesnt really bother me

Iowa middle school? Because if you actually went to Iowa and still have such poor punctuation, sentence structure, etc. it makes me wonder what the hell you learn in the Iowa school system.

keylime_5
07-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Kacy Rodgers to Miami, that came outta nowhere. Was down to Florida and UGA for the longest time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?page=onthetrail&recruitId=80380

I bet those UGA fans are bummed.

wicket
07-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Kacy Rodgers to Miami, that came outta nowhere. Was down to Florida and UGA for the longest time.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?page=onthetrail&recruitId=80380

I bet those UGA fans are bummed.

nope uga and florida both turned him down

keylime_5
07-20-2009, 10:04 AM
yeah, i just learned that a minute ago. apparently his offers from those two were uncommitable, too little too late by Kacy.

wicket
07-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Wrong about Thomas now

same here, i would have thought you'd get him for sure

Sniper
07-20-2009, 10:32 AM
Per ESPN's rolling "On The Trail" blog...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/onthetrail

ESPNU 150 Watch Lister Seantrel Henderson names three favorites
Offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson told ESPN affiliate Web site GatorCountry.com, "Florida, USC and Ohio State... its going to be one of those three. They play for championships and they put a lot of people in the NFL."

"Distance doesn't matter," he continued. "It's about where I feel best about the school, the people in the program, the guys who are going to be my teammates and the coaches. If that's at a place like USC or Florida, that's fine with me. I'm going where I feel like I'm home. I'll know if it's the right place after I do my visits."

However, Henderson added, "It's not that I've closed the door on anyone. I'm still open but I've got some things that are important to me. It's going to be a tough choice but I'm going to make the right one whatever that is."

His father, Sean Henderson, previously informed affiliate Web site Bucknuts.com that Ohio State, Florida, USC and Oklahoma would be receiving official visits from his son and that Minnesota, Florida State, Notre Dame and Michigan were still in the mix.

wicket
07-20-2009, 11:00 AM
my guess is he goes to the National champions, whoever will become that

keylime_5
07-20-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't think he's visited any of those three schools yet. Impossible to tell until those happen really.

DoWnThEfiElD
07-20-2009, 11:59 AM
His recruitment has such a long time to go. Out of those 3 I say he goes to Florida. He could end up starting there right away, or at least soonest. OSU and USC have some big time tackles that would prevent him from starting right away.

bearsfan_51
07-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Seantrel's Dad has obviously been pushing the big name programs for a while now. He's got those dollar bills in his eyes.

Seantrel seems like a nice kid that doesn't like to dissapoint people, which is why he probably said the door was still open for others. Those have been the three schools I figured for a while now, so no big surprise. Tough break for Minny, but no shocker. Glad we got Jimmy Gjere already.

Sniper
07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Seantrel's Dad has obviously been pushing the big name programs for a while now. He's got those dollar bills in his eyes.

Seantrel seems like a nice kid that doesn't like to dissapoint people, which is why he probably said the door was still open for others. Those have been the three schools I figured for a while now, so no big surprise. Tough break for Minny, but no shocker. Glad we got Jimmy Gjere already.

I still think Minnesota has a shot, especially if they can have a strong year this season.

CashmoneyDrew
07-20-2009, 01:10 PM
God. Just go anywhere but Florida.

keylime_5
07-20-2009, 01:32 PM
His recruitment has such a long time to go. Out of those 3 I say he goes to Florida. He could end up starting there right away, or at least soonest. OSU and USC have some big time tackles that would prevent him from starting right away.

maybe, but those big time tackles are unproven to date and will be juniors when Sean arrives on campus. Florida just grabbed Xavier Nixon this past year, that won't help. I always thought it would be either stay home or go to USC, so I think USC will get him personally.

wicket
07-20-2009, 03:22 PM
My first version of the ND mock class:
QB Andrew Hendrix 4/3* Tommy Rees 3*
RB Jordon James 4* Cameron Roberson 4*
WR Bennett Jackson 3/4* Daniel Smith 3/4* Justin McCay 4/5*
TE Alex Welch 4*
OT Christian Lombard 3/4* Matt James 4* James Stone 4*
DE Chris Martin 5* Blake Lueders 4*
DT Beau Allen 3/4* Bruce Gaston nr/3*
LB Kendall Moore 4/3* Prince Shembo nr/3*
CB Lo Wood 3* Spencer Boyd 3* Joshua Shaw 3/4*
S Sean Parker 4/5* Chris Badger 3* Dietrich Riley 4*
Ath Anthony Barr 4*

Total 24 recruits
I think we will get one more OLineman but I dont see one of our current offers as a certain enough thing to include as well. My pick of guy still to get offered is Ian Gray Jr, project guy out of texas (but son of former nd player)
Guys with 5* possibilities imo
Current commits

Well we seem to be out for McCay, but we have commits of boyd, moore and rees since then and added utupo (who i didnt see coming) so thusfar my guess seems to be a pretty acceptable one although i would remove riley as well (as mccay), add in utupo and prater for their spots and you have my new list

BigJohn98
07-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Couple tidbits from Showtime camp:

Jeff Luc had a blast. He met former Seminole great Derrick Brooks. He literally froze up when he shook his hand. His HS coach had to bump him to get him to respond. Michael L spoke to numerous recruits around the camp and they all said that it will be very hard to beat out FSU for Luc. He loves the early PT he would get and how he fits into our system.

Gio Bernard had a great time as well. He had a twenty-five minute 1-on-1 talk with Jimbo Fisher. Michael L believes that FSU is the leader for Gio and the team to beat.

Kenny Shaw was the MVP, so to say, of the camp. Only two commits went public, but Michael L says that there are atleast 4 more who commited but remain silent. Shaw is most likely one of them.

Lamarcus Joyner and Christian Green were not in attendance, as mentioned a couple pages back.

HindSight
07-20-2009, 03:54 PM

been wrong before

kids change their mind

doesnt really bother me

Good for you. What does that have to do with anything?

PENNSTATEHOMER
07-20-2009, 04:20 PM

DUDE..............................

PULL.HEAD.OUT.OF.ASS, Seantrel isn't coming to PSU. :P

wicket
07-20-2009, 04:22 PM
DUDE..............................

PULL.HEAD.OUT.OF.ASS, Seantrel isn't coming to PSU. :P

lol, +rep, i like creative homerism

CLong4Heisman
07-20-2009, 06:06 PM

Heres hoping for a Utah vs Boise State matchup

sbh15
07-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Well we seem to be out for McCay, but we have commits of boyd, moore and rees since then and added utupo (who i didnt see coming) so thusfar my guess seems to be a pretty acceptable one although i would remove riley as well (as mccay), add in utupo and prater for their spots and you have my new list

We're moving up with McCay (but he's nowhere near a mock class, coming to FNL though, that will be interesting) and James will be ours as soon as we're done with Mack Brown, be it good or bad.

Hines
07-20-2009, 11:38 PM
FWIW

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090720/PSPORTS02/907209927/1088/SPORTS?Title=Lattimore-set-on-three-finalists

CashmoneyDrew
07-20-2009, 11:41 PM
FWIW

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090720/PSPORTS02/907209927/1088/SPORTS?Title=Lattimore-set-on-three-finalists

I'm guessing the final two he chooses for his final 5 will be FSU and USCe.

Hines
07-20-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm guessing the final two he chooses for his final 5 will be FSU and USCe.

Ya, most likely. I really hope Penn State lands him, but I am not getting my hopes up. I am still saying we land him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to SCar or FSU instead.

ToldLikeItIs
07-21-2009, 02:41 AM
Iowa leads for Rb James White

Gaston is visiting us and ND this week

Dawson might lose his spot

HindSight
07-21-2009, 08:49 AM
Ya, most likely. I really hope Penn State lands him, but I am not getting my hopes up. I am still saying we land him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to SCar or FSU instead.you don't have to type this. all it is basically saying is you are a penn state fan. we already knew that.

bearsfan_51
07-21-2009, 08:57 AM
You should go to the baseball thread and read the Pirates comments.

DoWnThEfiElD
07-21-2009, 09:25 AM
Ya, most likely. I really hope Penn State lands him, but I am not getting my hopes up. I am still saying we land him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to SCar or FSU instead.

So there is a point to this. But there really isn't.

Sniper
07-21-2009, 09:33 AM

http://knowyourmeme.com/i/154/original/lolwhuttranslated384267dn3.jpg

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-21-2009, 10:07 AM
so Storm Johnson is a silent commit. so says his dad...

The father of highly-regarded Loganville, Ga., running back Storm Johnson said that his son remains a solid commitment to LSU’s 2010 football recruiting class.

Storm Johnson has not spoken publicly about his commitment since making an unofficial visit to Baton Rouge on July 11 to personally deliver his verbal pledge to Coach Les Miles and running backs coach Larry Porter.

Miles and Porter then asked Storm and his family to refrain from speaking publicly about the commitment, Wes Johnson, Storm’s father, said Monday.

“We were down there that weekend,’’ the elder Johnson said via telephone. “We spoke to Coach Miles and Coach Porter. (Storm) committed. They accepted his commitment. They asked us not to say anything until they make an announcement. We’re letting them handle it.’’

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/article/691207748776015445/georgia-rb-storm-johnson-still-a-solid-lsu-commit/

Hines
07-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Henderson is also going to Penn State, so take that bitches.

Sniper
07-21-2009, 10:14 AM
so Storm Johnson is a silent commit. so says his dad...

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/article/691207748776015445/georgia-rb-storm-johnson-still-a-solid-lsu-commit/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that kind of take away from the "silent commit" thing?

Sniper
07-21-2009, 10:16 AM

Are you saying that he's going to Penn State, but that it wouldn't surprise you if he went elsewhere? More importantly, are you getting your hopes up?

CashmoneyDrew
07-21-2009, 10:41 AM

Yeah. To play against them when he's a member of OSU's team. :p

Hines
07-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Are you saying that he's going to Penn State, but that it wouldn't surprise you if he went elsewhere? More importantly, are you getting your hopes up?

I don't know. I heard he is going to Penn State. I got my hopes up. Also, look for Justin McCay to follow suit to play WR for Penn State. Luc is also known as a Penn State lean.

BigJohn98
07-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Joyner=PSU lock

JayP
07-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Iowa leads for Rb James White

Gaston is visiting us and ND this week

Dawson might lose his spot

Gaston has already said that he's taking all 5 visits and not deciding until the end of his senior year. He said he'll be forming a top 5 in August.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4343922&name=Midwest_Recruiting

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that kind of take away from the "silent commit" thing?
exactly. dont know what his dad is thinking.

Sniper
07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=880&Year=2010&ra_key=2369

New Rivals100 is out.

MaxV
07-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Hmmm...first QB on the list is at #54.

Weak class for signal callers? Or is Rivals underrating them?

wicket
07-21-2009, 12:49 PM

bit of both, dont know how sims is the top qb tbh, connor wood wouldnt be out of place at a borderline 5* imo

BRAVEHEART
07-21-2009, 12:51 PM

Yeah, pretty much.

*EDIT*

Glad to see Robert Woods get his fith star, and robert powell move up to no.3 overall. Joshua Shaw also got a desrved bump up the ratings.

keylime_5
07-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Twan Anderson over Andrew Norwell...I needed a good laugh today. Why couldn't they bump Jordan Hicks up one spot, he's 18th overall and the highest rated 4 star.

TigerBait45
07-21-2009, 01:30 PM

I know, right?

keylime_5
07-21-2009, 01:48 PM
I also find it interesting that an elite pass rusher an athlete like Jamel Turner falls from being a top 30 player to not in the top 100 solely on the fact that he's had off-field/academic issues. Fact is he'll be at Valley Forge Military Academy this year since his grades went from being good to pathetic in his junior year, and he'll likely wind up at Ohio State eventually. Kinda hurts the credibility of the ranking system if they consider things other than talent.

bearsfan_51
07-21-2009, 01:49 PM
hurts the credibility of the ranking system if they consider things other than talent.[/b]

Being able to make the team is pretty important.

keylime_5
07-21-2009, 01:54 PM
Larry Fitzgerald did the same thing in 2002 and he turned out fine. If a guy is a top talent they should rank him as such instead of misleading people with their ratings. A top 50 player should be in the top 50 even if there is a chance he might not make it academically.

wicket
07-21-2009, 02:01 PM
well they should do either one of the following:
- adjust player rankings for likelihood to make the actual team
- make the rankings they make up for players that actually made it to the school the final year rankings and not the number of loi received.

i'd prefer the latter by quite a margin.

this is just to corrects just the team rankings so that teams dont get a bonus for signing 37 guys with half of them never making it to the school and makes sure that the prospect rakings itself keep making sense

srv fan
07-21-2009, 02:31 PM
Kinda hurts the credibility of the ranking system if they consider things other than talent.

I strongly disagree. Recruit rankings are not primarily about how good a player is at this exact moment, it's about how good they can become on the collegiate and (for the higher ranked players) pro level. Talent is obviously a huge part of a recruit's potential to develop into a top player, but outside of a few freaks like AD, there are no high school players who are good enough as 17 or 18 year olds that they could not improve one bit and still be top collegiate players. In other words, projected improvement is a major component of rankings, and things like work ethic and personal responsibility play a huge role in whether a player is going to stay out of trouble and work hard enough that they will maximize their talent. The list of phenomenally talented high schoolers who flamed out due to personal issues- what's the last you heard of Callahan Bright? Melvin Alaeze? Fred Rouse?- is certainly large enough to justify placing a lot of importance on factors other than raw talent.

You could counter my argument with an equally large list of players with these issues who turned out awesome- Randy Moss, Warren Sapp, Lawrence Taylor, or to toss out a Buckeye name, Troy Smith. I'm not trying to say that every troubled player is going to fail, that's ridiculous and inaccurate. But there is a reason that on every level of football, from the NFL on down, talent evaluators put a lot of importance on character and work ethic.

Turner is ranked exactly where he should be. No one denies that he has amazing talent on the field, but he has demonstrated serious work ethic and character issues that might hinder his development of that talent. He doesn't just have academic issues, he starts fights and is a general headcase. That's a big red flag- is that sort of guy going to show up for 6 AM conditioning? Stay in and study the playbook? Work well with teammates? Do everything he can to become better? It's not impossible, but the chance that he won't is a lot larger than someone with top notch character coming out of high school like Calvin Johnson, Peyton Manning, etc. With that said, it's not like he dropped off the map- he's still listed as one of the top 250 high school players out of a nation of 300+ million. Scouting services are taking a wait and see approach on whether he'll live up to that talent, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

And at the end of the day, the fact is professional scouts do strongly take character into consideration , as well as talent. That is probably the strongest argument for it- people whose freaking JOB is to rate players, think it's important. Carries quite a bit more weight than, no offense, some random guy on a message board.

DoWnThEfiElD
07-21-2009, 02:36 PM
Larry Fitzgerald did the same thing in 2002 and he turned out fine. If a guy is a top talent they should rank him as such instead of misleading people with their ratings. A top 50 player should be in the top 50 even if there is a chance he might not make it academically.

Yah but the days of the Callahan Brights, guys who have off the field issues, being ranked high are over at rivals it seems. They are student-athletes I don't see why grades shouldn't matter a little in the rankings.

bearsfan_51
07-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Says you. I think most people would disagree. The likelyhood of a player lasting for 3-4 years in college is a major importance when considering a player's ultimate value.

keylime_5
07-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Well putting him on the rankings to me is black and white. Either he's one of the best players or he's not ranked. You can put him 150th or whatever on the rankings, but there's not 149 players better than him. Very misleading, and they do factor ranking into grading a team's recruiting performance. Put him where he should be - in the top 30 - or just take him off if he doesn't sign a LOI next February. It's as simple as that, they shouldn't penalize a guy's ranking just like that, they should put him where he should be and if a guy doesn't sign, change the rankings post-signing day.

keylime_5
07-21-2009, 02:46 PM
And at the end of the day, the fact is professional scouts do strongly take character into consideration , as well as talent. That is probably the strongest argument for it- people whose freaking JOB is to rate players, think it's important. Carries quite a bit more weight than, no offense, some random guy on a message board.

If a guy has offers from schools and signs a LOI it shouldn't matter. I take a coach's opinion 10 times outta 10 over these recruting sites who's primary objective is to get subscribers at the expense of quality.

Sniper
07-21-2009, 02:50 PM
If Turner hadn't committed to the Buckeyes, you wouldn't give a ****. Let's move on.

Sniper
07-21-2009, 02:58 PM
http://georgia.scout.com/a.z?s=135&p=2&c=880769

FL DB Nickell Robey commits to Georgia.

wicket
07-21-2009, 03:01 PM

jep and i love it

sbh15
07-21-2009, 03:31 PM

Poor man's Brandon James and that's still saying a lot. Great pickup, they're having one hell of a class.

sbh15
07-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Dominique Easly will commit at FNL.

Mark it down.

duckseason
07-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Scar is 1a Fsu is 1b, if that helps you at all.
Update on Lattimore (http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090720/PSPORTS02/907209927/1088/SPORTS?Title=Lattimore-set-on-three-finalists)

RB Marcus Lattimore (6-0 210) of Byrnes said Monday night Oregon, Penn State and North Carolina will be three of his final five schools when he cuts his list from nine to five in a couple of weeks.

bigbenn
07-22-2009, 02:50 AM
Prater now the #1 WR and #4 player overall, it'll look good on UI's commit list.

BRAVEHEART
07-22-2009, 03:21 AM
LB/S Tony Jefferson comitted to UCLA. (per rivals)

USC caoches pissed him off to the extent that he'd wanna join UCLA to show them up. Dude wanted to be trojan so much, It's gonna be sad watching USC beat down on him and the bruins annually.

ToldLikeItIs
07-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Alright Joey, I am probably going to regret this but....

Give me the low down on James White from a talent perspective

Sniper
07-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Per Scout, LaTwan Anderson down to Georgia, WVU, MSU, Miami, UNC and Cincinnati.

DoWnThEfiElD
07-22-2009, 10:10 AM
LB/S Tony Jefferson comitted to UCLA. (per rivals)

USC caoches pissed him off to the extent that he'd wanna join UCLA to show them up. Dude wanted to be trojan so much, It's gonna be sad watching USC beat down on him and the bruins annually.

So much for taking visits.

BigJohn98
07-22-2009, 10:14 AM
3* ATH Jarred Haggins commits to FSU.

draftguru151
07-22-2009, 12:20 PM
4* TE Vogler commits to Bama.

sbh15
07-22-2009, 12:52 PM

There's another guy going with him sometime today.

T.J. Stripling commits to UGA. Our DL board is taking a massive hit from Georgia.

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Justin Maclin falling out of the rivals 250 was a complete joke.

Also LSU received a commit from Tyrann Mathieu.

He was the star of the Tennessee camp and here's what some said about him.

Coaches said they've seen very few people with more raw potential than Tyrann. Also, he didn't even have a rivals profile until Barton Simmons watched him at the UT camp..

http://tennessee.scout.com/2/870426.html

-Probably the best overall player at camp yesterday. He needs an offer right now. Top flight Elite-Cornerback prospect.

-By the afternoon session, Mathieu was being called out by every coach or wide receiver that wanted a challenge. Even while taking the best shot from the best receivers in attendance, Mathieu won almost every rep. In a drill in which the defense is at a major disadvantage, breakups and pure stops are hard to come by but those plays became routine for Mathieu.

-After seeing some of the videos, and based on what I heard, how did he not leave with an offer? He shut down all of the top WRs and only lost a couple of 1 on 1s.

-In the videos on the Camp Update thread, he goes against some of the best at the camp, including the Landry kid, Brantley, and others and he pretty much shut down everyone...

-Mathieu was arguably the story of the event as he came out of nowhere to dominate the one-on-ones. He has such a smooth backpedal, great hips and surprising burst, but it's his closing speed and ability to get his head around and make plays on the ball that separates him from the best. Small wide receivers couldn't run past him and he handled bigger guys with his athleticism, hops and instincts. He isn't the biggest kid, but as a cover corner he had an amazing day.

-Let's pray he would rather be coached b Monte than by Chavis.

-After his performance at camp, why in the world have we not offered this kid yet? The Rivals article says he favors LSU.....but we are 2nd. We need to pull the trigger on this kid. AS soon as he camps at LSU we are gonna lose him for sure if we havent offered before them.

-If the kid shut down every WR at the Camp, I don't see why he wasn't offered on the spot. I understand that pads, gmae situation, etc are also contributing factors, but come on, he shut down the 7 on 7 and the 1 vs 1. He came all the way from Louisiana to a 1 day camp has to stand for something. The kid efinitely is interested, and we need to scoop him up before everyone else gets their dibs in.

wicket
07-22-2009, 12:58 PM
holy crap i think rivals actually made the rankings worse. also ND got raped by them

keylime_5
07-22-2009, 01:14 PM
well they dropped J.Turner out, but I'm glad at least they keep his RR (rivals rank) at 6.0, which is equivalent to being a top 50 player. Good to see Andrew Donnal and JT Moore in the 250....not sure what Braylon Heard is doing that high though. He's not a guy who has the offers or has attention of a top prospect. He might be borderline as one of the top 20 players in the state this year.

Sniper
07-22-2009, 01:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=4346191

Elite 11 Day 2 recap

LizardState
07-22-2009, 01:34 PM
2-way lineman Hronis Grasu from Crespi HS in Encino, CA commits to Oregon, same school as his HS QB:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=West_Recruiting

LizardState
07-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Vogler is Saban's 4th All American to commit for 2010, see chart with link:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=333&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d333

PENNSTATEHOMER
07-22-2009, 01:55 PM
PSU commit/MD WR Adrian Coxson dropped which is absurd...he isn't even in the Rivals 250 now....Rivals is BS. Although PSU commit/CT RB Silas Redd jumped into the Rivals 100 @ #90 overall - #12 ATH/4*. Really screwed the Coxson ranking up big time IMO though. PSU commit/PA QB Paul Jones also dropped out of the Rivals 100 but is obviously still a Rivals 250 prospect at #106. PA DE/OLB Dakota Royer also dropped out of the Rivals 250 (previously #194 I think)...deciding July 30th. Last I looked NJ TE Kevin Haplea was still a 3* #18 TE, think he may be deciding Monday...hope it is PSU.

PSU commit/PA LB Mike Hull made a substantial jump...37 spots from #182 to #145...about time after Rivals BS excuses and his showing at the Rivals NJ premier camp.

PSU commit/PA OT Tom Ricketts goes from NR/NR to 4* OT and #142 in the Rivals 250...first appearance. PSU commit/PA C/OG Miles Dieffenbach from 3* to 4* Rivals 250 prospect (#206). PSU commit/PA DE Kyle Baublitz, PSU commit/VA DT Evan Hailes also Rivals 250 prospects - respectively at #147 & #224.

TigerBait45
07-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Tyrann Mathieu really came out of nowhere the last few months. Considering the receivers at that Tennessee camp I think it says a lot that he excelled.

Don't really know much about him but he must have stood out to get an offer ahead of Curtis Carter.

bearsfan_51
07-22-2009, 02:05 PM
I love how people are only mad about commits for their team dropping. I know it's hard to accept that Rivals doesn't root for your school.

wicket
07-22-2009, 02:08 PM
I love how people are only mad about commits for their team dropping. I know it's hard to accept that Rivals doesn't root for your school.

all ND guys dropped so i can not really be glad that guys went up

bearsfan_51
07-22-2009, 02:14 PM
all ND guys dropped so i can not really be glad that guys went up
It's not a matter of being happy or unhappy, it's a matter of seperating your wants from objective analysis (and bear in mind, that message wasn't meant directly at anyone).

It's just the attitude of "such and such committ to my team dropped..rivals is stupid." It's such a worthless and homerish statement, not to mention misleading.

Fans should obviously take note of the changes in rankings if they are important to them, but to act like rivals is wrong simply because you don't like what they have to say, particularly if you are not a professional scout familiar with all of the players in the country, is just...dumb.

CashmoneyDrew
07-22-2009, 02:16 PM
I noticed James Stone dropped quite a bit with the new rankings.

wicket
07-22-2009, 02:19 PM
It's not a matter of being happy or unhappy, it's a matter of seperating your wants from objective analysis (and bear in mind, that message wasn't meant directly at anyone).

It's just the attitude of "such and such committ to my team dropped..rivals is stupid." It's such a worthless and homerish statement, not to mention misleading.

Fans should obviously take note of the changes in rankings if they are important to them, but to act like rivals is wrong simply because you don't like what they have to say, particularly if you are not a professional scout familiar with all of the players in the country, is just...dumb.

when they differ in analysis with all other recruitment following agencies(dunno if that is the right word) it gets interesting enough to have an opinion

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-22-2009, 02:54 PM

Fans should obviously take note of the changes in rankings if they are important to them, but to act like rivals is wrong simply because you don't like what they have to say, particularly if you are not a professional scout familiar with all of the players in the country, is just...dumb.There's nothing to indicate why Maclin dropped and i'd be hard pressed to find too many people who are better than him to justify jumping him.

kwilk103
07-22-2009, 02:55 PM
all of ours rose or stayed same

barry brunetti remained #1 duel threat; 117 overall, up a few

braylon heard stayed same at #19 rb; 194 overall, which is around the same

quinton spain made 1st appearance at #172, which isnt surprising sinces hes been doing very well at camps; wish they would evaluate him as a tackle since he will be playing there and not guard

bearsfan_51
07-22-2009, 03:19 PM
There's nothing to indicate why Maclin dropped and i'd be hard pressed to find too many people who are better than him to justify jumping him.

1) Indicate to you. Which is to say absolutely nothing.

2) Of course you'd be hard pressed. I bet you've seen, at best, 3-4 prospects from this class in person.

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-22-2009, 03:31 PM
1) Indicate to you. Which is to say absolutely nothing.

2) Of course you'd be hard pressed. I bet you've seen, at best, 3-4 prospects from this class in person.

still waiting for someone to prove me wrong.

bearsfan_51
07-22-2009, 03:42 PM
still waiting for someone to prove me wrong.

You seriously don't get it do you? Nobody here can "prove" you wrong, because your "point" is completely baseless. Only a collective group of peoples who seriously scout players across the country could even attempt to put forth a serious argument about the respective value of a group of players. You have probably watched some youtube videos of one player and talked about how great he is with other LSU fans on a message board.

BStrkdad
07-22-2009, 03:44 PM

From what I hear, y'all are on the "list" for Turner but he's not a WVU lean. He's had great visits at UGA and UNC, among others. Family is not pushing him to any school, including WVU, and he's keeping a very open mind about the process.

wicket
07-22-2009, 03:50 PM
You seriously don't get it do you? Nobody here can "prove" you wrong, because your "point" is completely baseless. Only a collective group of peoples who seriously scout players across the country could even attempt to put forth a serious argument about the respective value of a group of players. You have probably watched some youtube videos of one player and talked about how great he is with other LSU fans on a message board.

so basicly you say we cant b*tch about the rankings, what fun is that?

bearsfan_51
07-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Of course you can, I'm just saying people should at least be a little more honest about what they know and don't know, and stop acting like they are the recruiting guru. This is particularly the case for high school football, where even the most informed of us (not including myself by the way) are strictly limited to a very VERY small geographical area

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-22-2009, 04:07 PM
You seriously don't get it do you? Nobody here can "prove" you wrong, because your "point" is completely baseless. Only a collective group of peoples who seriously scout players across the country could even attempt to put forth a serious argument about the respective value of a group of players. You have probably watched some youtube videos of one player and talked about how great he is with other LSU fans on a message board.nah, being one of the most dominate players at the southern cal camp did all the talking about how great he is for me.

PENNSTATEHOMER
07-22-2009, 04:30 PM
all of ours rose or stayed same

barry brunetti remained #1 duel threat; 117 overall, up a few

braylon heard stayed same at #19 rb; 194 overall, which is around the same

quinton spain made 1st appearance at #172, which isnt surprising sinces hes been doing very well at camps; wish they would evaluate him as a tackle since he will be playing there and not guard

You fail at following your own team....

http://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=967471

At running back, Youngstown (Ohio) Cardinal Mooney star Braylon Heard jumped into the Rivals250 at No. 165.

:P

TigerBait45
07-22-2009, 04:37 PM
It does seem a little weird that they'd drop Maclin 100 spots after showing up and looking really good at that Rising Stars camp, tbh.

Doesn't matter either way, these are still pretty early rankings. They'll look a whole lot different by December.

cdub11
07-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Darius White has named chokelahoma as his leader with usc and okie st. 2nd and 3rd

HindSight
07-23-2009, 09:20 AM

dead on. i need to spread rep around.

CashmoneyDrew
07-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Jesse Scroggins is deciding at 3 et today. I'm praying for a UT miracle today.

Punisher
07-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Jesse Scroggins is deciding at 3 et today. I'm praying for a UT miracle today.

Scroggins to SC has been out for a week or so.

ToldLikeItIs
07-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Robert Bolden is making a freak name for himsellf!

Hines
07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Robert Bolden is making a freak name for himsellf!

I have to agree with you here. I wished PJ didn't get hurt so he would be there as well. Penn State is finally grabbing top quarterbacks when we couldn't even get a decent one a few years ago.

Sniper
07-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I'll be impressed with Bolden when he does it in games. He really wasn't good last year. Right now, he's way more of a T-shirt and shorts type of player. The potential's there, the production isn't.

HindSight
07-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I have to agree with you here. I wished PJ didn't get hurt so he would be there as well. Penn State is finally grabbing top quarterbacks when we couldn't even get a decent one a few years ago.
you can only play 1 at a time.

CashmoneyDrew
07-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Scroggins to SC has been out for a week or so.

I know, it's pretty much been a done deal for a while, but oh well. I'm confident they'll find a good QB for us by the time NSD is over.

sbh15
07-23-2009, 01:42 PM
I know, it's pretty much been a done deal for a while, but oh well. I'm confident they'll find a good QB for us by the time NSD is over.

The Lane Kiffin love is fading fast. He's gotta stop running his mouth and focus on recruiting.

And I would lol so hard if Scroggins commits to UF.

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-23-2009, 01:55 PM
wow, rivals just made Tyrann a 4*. from no stars to 4 stars.

awesome.

CashmoneyDrew
07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
The Lane Kiffin love is fading fast. He's gotta stop running his mouth and focus on recruiting.

And I would lol so hard if Scroggins commits to UF.

It's really not at all. There's still over half a year until signing day.

Hines
07-23-2009, 02:09 PM
I'll be impressed with Bolden when he does it in games. He really wasn't good last year. Right now, he's way more of a T-shirt and shorts type of player. The potential's there, the production isn't.

From what I have read, his offense seems built more around the run so his passing numbers will be down.

BRAVEHEART
07-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Why isn't Tenn recruting Tyler Bray? Dude is legit.

CashmoneyDrew
07-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Why isn't Tenn recruting Tyler Bray? Dude is legit.

Is that the dude committed to San Jose St. currently? If so, one of Tennessee's insider guys said they're about to pick up on recruiting him since they didn't get Scroggins.

Sniper
07-23-2009, 03:16 PM
http://floridastate.scout.com/2/881364.html

TX DE/LB Holmes Onwukaife, who originally tried to commit to Michigan, commits to Florida State.

kwilk103
07-23-2009, 03:23 PM
wow, rivals just made Tyrann a 4*. from no stars to 4 stars.

awesome.

sarcasm?

cuz there are some players that didnt get evaluated in the winter, but after the camps, they are 4*

happened to wvu committ quinton spain; went from unranked to #3 og

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-23-2009, 03:39 PM
sarcasm?

cuz there are some players that didnt get evaluated in the winter, but after the camps, they are 4*

happened to wvu committ quinton spain; went from unranked to #3 ogno sarcasm at all. no one even HEARD of him until the UT camp.

BRAVEHEART
07-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Is that the dude committed to San Jose St. currently? If so, one of Tennessee's insider guys said they're about to pick up on recruiting him since they didn't get Scroggins.

San Diego St. , A legit 6'7 QB, won the golden arm thing at the elite 11 recently.

Sniper
07-23-2009, 03:54 PM
http://michigan.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=2&c=881354

Free Elite 11 recap

CashmoneyDrew
07-23-2009, 04:28 PM
San Diego St. , A legit 6'7 QB, won the golden arm thing at the elite 11 recently.

Yeah, I do think they'll push for him. They still have Cameron Newton as an option, and don't be surprised if they go super hard after Tommy Rees now.

TigerBait45
07-23-2009, 06:30 PM
no sarcasm at all. no one even HEARD of him until the UT camp.

He just had to be evaluated first and he showed up big. He's apparently legit, I've heard he was the only guy at the UT camp and the LSU camp that was able to keep up with Jarvis Landry.

That's pretty impressive imo..Jarvis is freakish.

JoeyJr09
07-23-2009, 07:28 PM
nope uga and florida both turned him down

Consider the source. Mike Farrell is never right.

Please tell me why a kid would commit to a school he's never visited if it was his backup school? Kacy's coach says he had Miami in front the whole time and Kacy's father is a DL coach for the Dolphins which is why he wanted to come play for Miami. It was all about location as he wanted to be close to his father.

Matt Shodell was all over this way before Farrell started flabbing his mouth about a kid getting turned down.

And please tell me how Farrell would even know that. All Farrell does is call recruits. He doesn't talk to any college coaches. The allifiate website are the ones that talk to the coaches.

JayP
07-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I do think they'll push for him. They still have Cameron Newton as an option, and don't be surprised if they go super hard after Tommy Rees now.

First they'd have to offer Rees. And at this point, it might be too late. He seems pretty content with ND.

Link inplying Rees doesn't have an offer from the Vols:
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/jul/07/qb-search-continues-ut-offers-rettig/

CashmoneyDrew
07-23-2009, 09:05 PM
First they'd have to offer Rees. And at this point, it might be too late. He seems pretty content with ND.

Link inplying Rees doesn't have an offer from the Vols:
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/jul/07/qb-search-continues-ut-offers-rettig/

He may not hold an official offer yet, but they've been recruiting him. A rumor has it that a lot of the staff actually really love him. A lot of people think the Vols staff will push for Hendrix, but I think it'll be Rees.

kwilk103
07-23-2009, 10:25 PM
2009 4* wr deon long is off to hargrave

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-24-2009, 01:02 AM
Dexter Blackmon commits to LSU.

If your thinking "who the hell is that?" everyone else is too...

sbh15
07-24-2009, 01:08 AM
Dexter Blackmon commits to LSU.

If your thinking "who the hell is that?" everyone else is too...

yeah, that's what they said about Stephen Ali, but the kid is tearing **** up.

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-24-2009, 01:36 AM
yeah, that's what they said about Stephen Ali, but the kid is tearing **** up.
Rivals literally had to make a profile for him 2 minutes after they found out he committed.

Only other offer he had was Troy.

http://www.lsu.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=102038

bearsfan_51
07-24-2009, 03:30 AM
Minnesota receives it's 2nd 2011 commit from Illinois RB- Calvin Phillips.

Why he already gave an oral to Minnesota as a runningback from Illinois? Beats me. But he already has an offer from Illinois and is being recruited by Michigan, so there had to have been something he really liked.

Also this from ESPN:

CHICAGO -- It's no secret that Illinois has been one of the better recruiting stories nationally since the arrival of head coach Ron Zook and his staff. The Fighting Illini have been aggressive on the recruiting trail and made in-roads with talented players both in and out-of-state.

One of the examples of that is Class of 2011 running back Calvin Phillips (Momence, Ill./Momence). The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder was probably the top overall prospect at the combine in any classification and it's pretty clear who the early favorite is to land him -- the Fighting Illini.

Phillips, who rushed for 1,426 yards and 24 touchdowns as a sophomore, showed up to the event wearing a University of Illinois sweatshirt before changing into his Nike gear to compete. If his attire did not hint at where he is leaning early, his comments following the combine certainly did.

"(Illinois) is probably where I am going," [he said. "I've liked them since I was a little kid. I just like their school and the way (Zook) is. If they mess up, he gets on them for real. Their program was going good for some time and then they had some downfall. But most of the athletes that go there are real good."
Whoopsie Doopsie!

steelernation77
07-24-2009, 09:13 AM

Why he already gave an oral to Minnesota as a runningback from Illinois? Beats me. But he already has an offer from Illinois and is being recruited by Michigan, so there had to have been something he really liked.

Also this from ESPN:

Whoopsie Doopsie!

Maybe he spoke to Mendenhall about Zook.

(Although it's not like Brewster is any better).

JayP
07-24-2009, 10:46 AM
He may not hold an official offer yet, but they've been recruiting him. A rumor has it that a lot of the staff actually really love him. A lot of people think the Vols staff will push for Hendrix, but I think it'll be Rees.

With this being a down year for QB talent, there are going to be a lot of schools swinging and whiffing on QBs. Are the Vols that desperate to sign a good QB this year, or could they get away with a prospect this year, and go for 5* QBs next year?

CashmoneyDrew
07-24-2009, 11:39 AM
With this being a down year for QB talent, there are going to be a lot of schools swinging and whiffing on QBs. Are the Vols that desperate to sign a good QB this year, or could they get away with a prospect this year, and go for 5* QBs next year?

Well, they could use a good talent this year, but if they can't get a very good talent, they at least need to get a body because our depth is just awful. But if we don't get a very good quarterback this year, we absolutely must get one for 2011.

JayP
07-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Well, they could use a good talent this year, but if they can't get a very good talent, they at least need to get a body because our depth is just awful. But if we don't get a very good quarterback this year, we absolutely must get one for 2011.

I think if Kiff & Co. spend all of their energy and time trying to flip an already committed QB, the situation could end up worse that it is now. It makes more sense to go after a kid dying to be a Vol than a kid who might not waiver. Just my .02 on the matter.

wicket
07-24-2009, 03:22 PM
the vols prolly already have a commit of juco kid nick lamaison if im not mistaking

CashmoneyDrew
07-24-2009, 03:25 PM
the vols prolly already have a commit of juco kid nick lamaison if im not mistaking

He's counted towards the 2009 season though. He's getting on campus soon if he's not already here, and he'll be eligible to play this fall. We still need to sign one QB for 2010 though.

wicket
07-24-2009, 03:28 PM
He's counted towards the 2009 season though. He's getting on campus soon if he's not already here, and he'll be eligible to play this fall. We still need to sign one QB for 2010 though.

still makes the issue somewhat less pressing though, you are not looking for a guy that will actually start this year

CashmoneyDrew
07-24-2009, 04:04 PM
still makes the issue somewhat less pressing though, you are not looking for a guy that will actually start this year

It would be nice though for a guy to be able to come in and start as a freshman, but we most definitely at least need to sign one for depth. After Crompton graduates this year all we'll have on the roster is Nick Stephens, Nick Lamaison and Mike Rozier.

FatJJ44
07-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Rivals names Devin Gardner as the best qb at the Elite 11. Pretty impressive for a run pass guy. I can't wait to actually get this kid on campus.

kwilk103
07-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Rivals names Devin Gardner as the best qb at the Elite 11. Pretty impressive for a run pass guy. I can't wait to actually get this kid on campus.

based on long-term potential and ability to win games at the highest level

think heaps won the actual mvp

and 4* wr deon long is going to hargrave for 1 semester, then he wants to come back to wvu in the spring

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Terrance Broadway to Houston. That came out of nowhere.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=80491&sport=1

JT Jag
07-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Don't think it's been mentioned on here yet, but four-star athlete Corey Grant committed to Alabama yesterday.

He's a speedster, and has been clocked in the 4.3s. Florida was trying to bring him in, in hopes that he would be their next dangerous spread-option runningback. Grant projects as a slot receiver at Bama, and his great change-of-direction skills will help him in the transition.

Interestingly, Saban pulled Grant out of Opelika, which is in the heart of Auburn territory.

sbh15
07-24-2009, 05:21 PM
He's a speedster, and has been clocked in the 4.3s. Florida was trying to bring him in, in hopes that he would be their next dangerous spread-option runningback. Grant projects as a slot receiver at Bama, and his great change-of-direction skills will help him in the transition.

We gave up on Grant a long time ago, when we decided he wasn't really good enough. Jordon James came on the scene and we just forgot about Grant.

Florida might fill out their RB slots this weekend. Mack and Jordon are at FNL and I'm hearing a lot about them raving about UF. I expect at least one commitment from the two, and three total.

JT Jag
07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
We gave up on Grant a long time ago, when we decided he wasn't really good enough.His standing scholarship offer says otherwise.

sbh15
07-24-2009, 05:37 PM
His standing scholarship offer says otherwise.

I'm sure Bryce Brown had a standing offer from us, but did we care to recruit him? No.

Don't play it like Alabama stole an Alabama kid FROM the Gators. Grant is a decent pickup, I don't really know why RB's keep committing to be buried on the DC, but don't play it up like this kid was a top 10 UF target, he didn't crack the top 25 from about 3 weeks ago.

JT Jag
07-24-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm sure Bryce Brown had a standing offer from us, but did we care to recruit him? No.

Don't play it like Alabama stole an Alabama kid FROM the Gators. Grant is a decent pickup, I don't really know why RB's keep committing to be buried on the DC, but don't play it up like this kid was a top 10 UF target, he didn't crack the top 25 from about 3 weeks ago.You're right. Grant was thought to be more of an Auburn lean before he committed.

And Grant won't be used as a RB by us. He'll compete for time as a slot receiver.

IrishTrojan
07-24-2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.the-mainboard.com/index.php/topic,10531.150.html

FNL updates

sbh15
07-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Someone said that as many as 5 guys committed tonight.

kwilk103
07-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Someone said that as many as 5 guys committed tonight.

2 rumored are easly and mack brown

sbh15
07-24-2009, 10:18 PM
2 rumored are easly and mack brown

Easley has supposedly revealed that he is going to commit on a message board, and...

I can almost 90% confirm that Mack Brown AND Chris Dunkley committed.

A guy I talk to who was there said Mack Brown had some choice words for UGA.

BigJohn98
07-24-2009, 10:21 PM
So Urban and co. had FSU's scores and stats of all our games on the jumbotron. Real classy, Urban. The best negative recruiter in the game

BamaFalcon59
07-24-2009, 10:28 PM

Top five player in Virginia for 2011. And he didn't even play last season.

Thought of as a West Virginia lean, but not near a lock. He likes Virginia Tech. as well.

That is about all I know.

Sniper
07-24-2009, 10:28 PM
So Urban and co. had FSU's scores and stats of all our games on the jumbotron. Real classy, Urban. The best negative recruiter in the game

You could, you know, just win and stop pissing and moaning about Meyer. Apparently, there's a lot of negative recruiting about Michigan, and after a 3-9 season, who can blame them? The way to stop that type of negative recruiting is to win, not cry about it. Plus, it's part of the rivalry.

kwilk103
07-24-2009, 10:31 PM
come on down to wvu, ivan mccartney

sbh15
07-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Dunkley, Easley, Brown are now commits.

Pwnt.

kwilk103
07-24-2009, 10:44 PM
mack brown says dunkley committed

dunkley says he didnt

sbh15
07-24-2009, 10:52 PM
mack brown says dunkley committed

dunkley says he didnt

I heard the same. Supposedly Luc is now a silent to UF...

My guy who talked to him said that Jeff said "It's all about UF..."

Hines
07-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Pitt got a real good player today in Andre Givens. I loved his film. I think the only knock on him were grade trouble and people think that he is smaller than he is actually listed. Oh well, I believe he could be a real good player in college.

sbh15
07-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Not only is Ronald Powell coming for the UT game, but he's scheduled a third visit and plans to bring momma... ;) And Georgia DE Neiron Ball said he'd commit to us if he gets the chance, which I don't see how we can't, since we're wearing thin on DE's.

JoeyJr09
07-25-2009, 01:20 PM
I heard the same. Supposedly Luc is now a silent to UF...

My guy who talked to him said that Jeff said "It's all about UF..."

UF got commits from Dunkley, Brown, Easiley, Ambles and Ball. Those are the 5 that committed during the camp.

Jeff Luc isn't a silent (don't know where you got that from) but they did make up some ground. However, the guy I talk to suggests that they still have some work to do. I'm still expecting him at FSU do to his brother.

JoeyJr09
07-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Best part of FNL....

Tavadis Glenn getting kicked out for flashing the U after a big play.

He was supposedly tearing u the camp too.

wicket
07-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Urby is one of the biggest PoS around in college football, but he is a great coach and get the job done, dislike him a lot though and if he ever were to coach ND id seriously have to reconsider my fanhood

srv fan
07-25-2009, 06:31 PM
With regards to Jamel Turner being dropped, Rivals mailbag...

From Joe in Detroit: What's the deal with Jamel Turner dropping? He's still supposed to be in the 2010 class at OSU. Don't these type of things happen all the time with players? For example, SEC teams in the past signed like 40 players knowing most wouldn't qualify yet all 40 would contribute to the team ranking like they were all going to show up.

ANSWER: Joe, good question- and one we need to be very clear on for you guys.

From what we understand, and we have tried to dig up as much information as we can here, it is not certain whether Turner will be playing football next year or ever again. We dropped him because of that uncertainty.

BigJohn98
07-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Jeff Luc isn't a silent (don't know where you got that from) but they did make up some ground. However, the guy I talk to suggests that they still have some work to do. I'm still expecting him at FSU do to his brother.

How sure are you about this?

sbh15
07-26-2009, 06:29 AM
UF got commits from Dunkley, Brown, Easiley, Ambles and Ball. Those are the 5 that committed during the camp.

I just heard that he (and Powell actually) were just doing the Gator Chomp everywhere and that Burton was all over him. A guy I know who had media access asked Luc what he thought about UF and he said that it was all about Florida.

And a couple guys inferred a silent commit in the know, but I'm fairly sure it's just rumors and that we made up a ton of ground.

Markieth Ambles' commitment is awesome, though.

JoeyJr09
07-26-2009, 08:40 AM
I just heard that he (and Powell actually) were just doing the Gator Chomp everywhere and that Burton was all over him. A guy I know who had media access asked Luc what he thought about UF and he said that it was all about Florida.

And a couple guys inferred a silent commit in the know, but I'm fairly sure it's just rumors and that we made up a ton of ground.

Markieth Ambles' commitment is awesome, though.

Well, just found out that apparently they turned Ambles down. Not sure why but I was told he's not an option for the Gator's class anymore. The staff wants Sticks more now. Sticks has been a Miami silent since the spring game.

He was doing the Gator Chomp with Powell. And he was attached to Charlie Strong. The Gator are the clear cut leader for both.

However, I fully expect Strong to land a HC job somewhere after the year and that combined with big bro's pushing, I suspect will send Luc to FSU.

And Powell is coming off a camp high from FNL. His other visits there will certainly help but you have to think USC in the end. They always seem to keep those kinds of kids from heading elsewhere.

Newbs24
07-26-2009, 08:50 AM
Getting Charlie Strong out of Florida might be the best thing to do. Guy is an animal. Cannot believe that he doesn't have a HC job yet.

sbh15
07-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Best part of FNL....

Tavadis Glenn getting kicked out for flashing the U after a big play.

He was supposedly tearing u the camp too.

Well what would you do if Matt Elam came to your camp, was tearing **** up and started doing the Gator chomp? It's an obvious display of disrespect to a camp that the other program was nice enough to invite him to because they thought highly of him.

Other FNL stuff:
- Demar Dorsey looked terrible. At this point I hope he decommits.
- Hampton was either getting burnt or tooling with the WR's.
- Louis Nix has put on a lot of weight, but didn't look too bad.
- Ambles and Powell won camp MVP's for the first night.

PENNSTATEHOMER
07-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Looks like PSU should be adding 3* rivals/4* scout NJ TE Kevin Haplea tomorrow...should also land 4* rivals/3* scout PA DE/OLB Dakota Royer on Thursday (I think it is Thursday). Those will be two very nice additions for us...two kids we obviously think very highly of and have pursued for some time now.

After this upcoming week we are likely to be up to 15 commits with the expectation of taking 18-19 (probably)...should give us the chance to really key in on 5*/5* PA DT Sharrif Floyd & 4*/4* CT LB Khairi Fortt. And of course Lattimore is supposedly visiting this upcoming week, so we shall see with that.

Obviously keep going after Lattimore until he says not to do so...but secure Floyd/Fortt and that leaves us with literally every need met and a ship or two to play with for those that may emerge their senior year...or a Lattimore, CA WR Kenny Stills type.

JoeyJr09
07-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Well what would you do if Matt Elam came to your camp, was tearing **** up and started doing the Gator chomp? It's an obvious display of disrespect to a camp that the other program was nice enough to invite him to because they thought highly of him.

Other FNL stuff:
- Demar Dorsey looked terrible. At this point I hope he decommits.
- Hampton was either getting burnt or tooling with the WR's.
- Louis Nix has put on a lot of weight, but didn't look too bad.
- Ambles and Powell won camp MVP's for the first night.

-1st of all, we aren't dumb enough to invite Matt Elam. We know what position we are at with prospects. Plus, flip the switch, if Elam did that at a Miami camp. Your be beaming with Gator pride, not calling it disrespectful. He's a 17 year old kid that is proud of the school he's going to and made mention of it at a camp. It was pretty well documented that he was being treated pretty badly by alot of the people there simply for being a Miami commit at a Gator camp. But you fail to mention that part.

-Dorsey reaffirmed his committment at FNL, your stuck with him. Hampton looked ok, not great but ok.

-Nix has put on alot of weight? That is where I know you have zero clue what you are talking about. I have talked to 3 separate people that were actually at FNL (1 for each of the big 3 so you know there's no bias) in person and said Nix came in to the camp in the best shape he's been in for awhile. His motor was lacking and he was inconsistent but his weight wasn't an issue. He flashed plenty of potential.

-Ambles got dropped bu UF for off the field issues.

JoeyJr09
07-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Not to mention, kids throw up signals and crap at other teams functions all the time and nothing every happens. Because most coaches realize these kids are just that kids. They act immature sometimes.

Bryce Brown came to Canesfest this weekend with Arthur. He wore UT gear. We didn't give him the boot. We actually gave him a pen and let him sign autographs for the kids.

Sometimes the coaches are just as immature as the kids they are recruiting.

You just need to take a step back and realize these kids are only 16-17 years old right now. They are immature and put in situations most 16-17 year old kids don't go thru. Throwing up a team symbol at a football is not grounds to get kicked out of a camp. That's effing ridiculous.

bigbenn
07-26-2009, 05:16 PM

Also this from ESPN:

Whoopsie Doopsie!

Because his mentor is best friends with somebody associated with Minny or something like that. It's something in that boat. Also Illinois is putting the full court press on the top RB, possibly the top player in the state for next year, Rodney Coe from Edwardsville. Phillips definitely impressed at the UI camp though. He ran in the 4.5's and is BUILT. There have been reports for a while though that he's one of those guys who looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. He even admits that he has to work on his toughness. I still would've loved to have him. He's most likely going to be a 4 star if the competition thing doesn't get in the way.

bigbenn
07-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Also, Prater apparently has been tearing it up at the Gridiron Kings tournament. Just a monster. People doubted his speed, and he worked. People doubted his competition, but he goes down to Florida against some of the best and dominates again after dominating the Champaign NIKE Camp, Army Combine, etc. Just a beast. Also good to see the Midwest ball out down there. Here's the report(s):

Day 1:

6-5/205, Hillside (Ill.) Proviso West
Hands down, Prater was the best prospect during the first day's practice as he was simply unstoppable regardless who was covering him. The only way he was stopped was by an erratic throw or an occasional drop, beyond that he dominated. He's every bit of 6-5, has filled out his frame to closer to 215 pounds, has sneaky speed, runs great routes and is a master of positioning his big body to make the play. He's a quarterback's dream, a huge target who wants the ball in every clutch situation.

Day 2:

6-5/205, Hillside (Ill.) Proviso West
Prater tweaked his hamstring in the second game of the day and didn't play much in the consolation game, but he was still the most dominant offense force on the field. Prater had three touchdowns on the day as well as an 80-yarder that was called back because he stepped out of bounds by inches before coming back and catching a bomb. His three touchdowns were all for long yardage including an 80-yarder that counted and a 50-plus-yarder on a tipped pass. He's a long strider and showed off his speed numerous times, running away from speedy defensive backs for his big scores and making the Midwest team a danger to everyone.

sbh15
07-26-2009, 05:55 PM
-1st of all, we aren't dumb enough to invite Matt Elam. We know what position we are at with prospects. Plus, flip the switch, if Elam did that at a Miami camp. Your be beaming with Gator pride, not calling it disrespectful. He's a 17 year old kid that is proud of the school he's going to and made mention of it at a camp. It was pretty well documented that he was being treated pretty badly by alot of the people there simply for being a Miami commit at a Gator camp. But you fail to mention that part.

I'm just saying that it's disrespectful, and obviously I was speaking figuratively with Elam, as he's not even taking visits. You can't deny that it's a bit disrespectful at the least. Sure, he didn't deserve to be kicked out, but that's tough, too bad for him. And if he's that solid to the Canes he has no business in that camp anyway.

-Dorsey reaffirmed his committment at FNL, your stuck with him. Hampton looked ok, not great but ok.

Well that sucks, but I never said Hampton looked great.

-Nix has put on alot of weight? That is where I know you have zero clue what you are talking about. I have talked to 3 separate people that were actually at FNL (1 for each of the big 3 so you know there's no bias) in person and said Nix came in to the camp in the best shape he's been in for awhile. His motor was lacking and he was inconsistent but his weight wasn't an issue. He flashed plenty of potential.

Well someone who was telling me who talked to Nix in person said that, but I'm guessing that it must always look that way in person :/... I did hear that he wasn't going all out, so maybe I just wrongly put two and two together.

-Ambles got dropped bu UF for off the field issues.

check the bold

CashmoneyDrew
07-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Is Prater going to end up being an even better prospect coming out of high school than Julio Jones? Is his immediate impact ability as great as Julio's and A.J. Green's or is he more long-term potential?

wicket
07-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Is Prater going to end up being an even better prospect coming out of high school than Julio Jones? Is his immediate impact ability as great as Julio's and A.J. Green's or is he more long-term potential?

he isnt as quick as those two but he is stronger, way thicker and ready to contribute from day 1 for whatever shool gets him. He reminds me most of floyd (with prater having better route running) to be honest adn i can see him making a similar impact on whatever team. I like him better than any of the receivers of last years class.

wicket
07-26-2009, 06:27 PM
can someone please tell me what the exact off the field issues are with ambles?

BamaFalcon59
07-26-2009, 06:33 PM
check the bold

Elam has mentioned visits due to concerns about Florida's coaching staff stability, has he not? He and his teammate (Earl?) Clark, a CB/WR, mentioned VT as a possible visit.

Sniper
07-26-2009, 06:44 PM
but he is stronger, way thicker

Not compared to Julio.

and ready to contribute from day 1 for whatever shool gets him.

http://msp153.photobucket.com/albums/s238/bradly2795/lol_wut.jpg

bigbenn
07-26-2009, 06:47 PM
he isnt as quick as those two but he is stronger, way thicker and ready to contribute from day 1 for whatever shool gets him. He reminds me most of floyd (with prater having better route running) to be honest adn i can see him making a similar impact on whatever team. I like him better than any of the receivers of last years class.

I wouldn't say he is as thick as Julio but he approaching that as he's working like a madman. And I wouldn't even say they are quicker anymore. Prater's been REALLY working with the speed training and apparently it's working. That 4.48 is legit, electronic timed. He's gotten a lot more explosive. He is in that mold definitely. As for making as big an impact, he definitely can, especially if he enrolls early like he intends to do. The kid is a superstar. I still think he's going to Illinois and would be disappointed if he didn't. He's a 3 year and done type. I still just can't imagine him and Fiedorowicz together.

wicket
07-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Not compared to Julio.

He'll go into college at about 220-230 it looks like, Julio went in 210

http://msp153.photobucket.com/albums/s238/bradly2795/lol_wut.jpg
not saying he will start, he will be a red zone target from day 1 at least imo though

responses in bold

kwilk103
07-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Elam has mentioned visits due to concerns about Florida's coaching staff stability, has he not? He and his teammate (Earl?) Clark, a CB/WR, mentioned VT as a possible visit.

yes, elam is for sure

wvu leads for clark, and both are visiting wvu for sure

BRAVEHEART
07-26-2009, 08:03 PM
responses in bold

Julio was 210 but at 6-2, Prater is will be 220 but at 6-5. I personally Like A.J. Green over all of them, but that's just me. If I could rank them

Green
Floyd
Jones

prater

JoeyJr09
07-26-2009, 08:22 PM
check the bold

I don't find it to be disrespectful at all. I find it to be a immature kid throwing up symbols to mess around with his friends. That's it. I found the UF coaching staff to be ridiculous with how they handled a 17 year old kid throwing him out of a camp because he acted like a 17 year old kid.

It's not like he was going around talking up Miami to everyone and cutting down the UF staff, quite the opposite, he was getting UF thrown in his face all nite and decided to mess around like any other 17 year old kid does.

If the staff had a problem with what he did, they needed to take him aside and talk to him and square it away like normal people do. Not embarrass the kid in front of everyone, including his HS coach. The UF's staff was much more classless IMO then what Glenn did. Sure he could have acted differently but let's not act like he was going around bashing UF and got himself thrown out. He made a simple immature mistake and the UF staff took it to another level.

And Props to Louis Nix for sticking with his best friend and walking out on FNL for the way the staff treated Glenn.

Sniper
07-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Julio was 210 but at 6-2, Prater is will be 220 but at 6-5. I personally Like A.J. Green over all of them, but that's just me. If I could rank them

Green
Floyd
Jones

prater

Julio is 6'4".

sbh15
07-26-2009, 09:36 PM

I hope you don't seriously think VT has a chance... Urban is friends with Elam's family and the guy has said he's done since the day he committed to Florida. The only way Elam goes anywhere is if Urban goes somewhere, which, would be honestly stupid considering Urban just trashed the possibility of coaching at ND, the only other place he had the slimmest chance of going.

BRAVEHEART
07-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Julio is 6'4".

He looks like a short 6'3 to me.

kwilk103
07-26-2009, 10:24 PM
miami glades central safety travis bell will likely announce for wvu on his birthday in sept.

some speculation he is a silent

JoeyJr09
07-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I hope you don't seriously think VT has a chance... Urban is friends with Elam's family and the guy has said he's done since the day he committed to Florida. The only way Elam goes anywhere is if Urban goes somewhere, which, would be honestly stupid considering Urban just trashed the possibility of coaching at ND, the only other place he had the slimmest chance of going.

No one every said they were landing him. They were merely pointing out that you were wrong when you said he wasnt taking visits.

bigbenn
07-26-2009, 11:50 PM

Green
Floyd
Jones

prater

If I had to rank them, I would go

Jones
Prater
Green
Floyd

But it's VERY close between all of them. VERY close. All absolute stud, superstar prospects.

BamaFalcon59
07-27-2009, 01:43 AM

I didn't say anything about Elam coming to VT. Him saying he was interested in visiting was a huge suprise to us, considering we hadn't offered or shown interest. A visit from a player of his caliber still attracts attention, which is generally good.

The point was about him taking visits.

Hines
07-27-2009, 09:03 AM
Personally, I think Kyle Prater will end up at TE in college. He doesn't look all that fast and is pretty big, so TE or H-Back for me.

Hines
07-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Kevin Haplea to Penn State according to our Scout guy.

PENNSTATEHOMER
07-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Love this pickup. 6'4 230 complete TE...it took Shuler 3 or 4 years to get where he is at right now (nearing 255-260) physically...Haplea is a better ATH and can probably get there after a RS year. Plus we lose two senior TEs and Kevin plans to enroll early...depending where 6'7 265 TE/DE/potential OT Garry Gilliam ends up playing his ball - we'll have 6'6 235 RS SO Mark Wedderburn and 6'6 265 RS JR TE Andrew Szczerba when Kevin gets on campus...quite the trio.

Hines
07-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Love this pickup. 6'4 230 complete TE...it took Shuler 3 or 4 years to get where he is at right now (nearing 255-260) physically...Haplea is a better ATH and can probably get there after a RS year. Plus we lose two senior TEs and Kevin plans to enroll early...depending where 6'7 265 TE/DE/potential OT Garry Gilliam ends up playing his ball - we'll have 6'6 235 RS SO Mark Wedderburn and 6'6 265 RS JR TE Andrew Szczerba when Kevin gets on campus...quite the trio.

Not to mention the possibility of having Ben Koyak next year. He should be the top player in PA next year.

superman8456
07-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Any word on Khairi Fortt?

Hines
07-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Any word on Khairi Fortt?

I am pretty sure you don't have to worry about him.

sbh15
07-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Just a bunch of rumors, but people I know who can tell me these things say that we turned down Easley's commitment and that the staff feels really well about Sharrif Floyd for some reason?

Or is that just ridiculous poppycock?

Hines
07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Just a bunch of rumors, but people I know who can tell me these things say that we turned down Easley's commitment and that the staff feels really well about Sharrif Floyd for some reason?

I was just about to post about Easley. Honestly, I think Floyd stays close to home. He wants his mother to watch his games and I have read that she is not the most financial stabe of people.

JoeyJr09
07-27-2009, 08:09 PM

They didn't turn down Easley. They told him to wait a little. They are willing to take him. They just wanted to restack the DT board after the camp when they got a closer look at the film of Floyd, Nix and others and where they think they stand with the guys ahead of Easley after the restack.

JoeyJr09
07-27-2009, 08:16 PM
They didn't turn down Easley. They told him to wait a little. They are willing to take him. They just wanted to restack the DT board after the camp when they got a closer look at the film of Floyd, Nix and others and where they think they stand with the guys ahead of Easley after the restack.

Just went and double checked everything after my post above. Supposedly Ego Ferguson is the guy that UF really is pushing for ahead of Easley and Easley will likely head to Miami if UF turns him down.

Interesting to say the least.

Floyd is likely headed to PSU.

Hines
07-27-2009, 08:52 PM
I also read that Florida coaches asked Easley to play DT and he didn't want to. Just something I saw on Penn State's board.

But ya, I would be surprised to see Floyd go somewhere other than Penn State. Michigan is another place I can see him ending up as well.

sbh15
07-27-2009, 10:16 PM
I've now heard the same on Ego, Joey. Word is that he will commit as soon as we offer.

JoeyJr09
07-27-2009, 10:39 PM
I've now heard the same on Ego, Joey. Word is that he will commit as soon as we offer.

That word is a little strong. He is looking to move back down south, but he isn't gonna accept an offer on the spot. I know he was really serious about coming to Miami (he grew up here) but our staff backed off because we didn't like him as a prospect for our system. Coaches thought he was a 3-4 DE. Looks like it could be beneficial to both sides tho. Since we passed on Ego, he could fall into your laps with you being the next closest to the area he wants to be at. That would allow you to pass on Easley and he would fall right into our laps with us sitting at number 2.

JoeyJr09
07-27-2009, 10:42 PM
I also read that Florida coaches asked Easley to play DT and he didn't want to. Just something I saw on Penn State's board.

But ya, I would be surprised to see Floyd go somewhere other than Penn State. Michigan is another place I can see him ending up as well.

It's BS.

Anybody saying they know the truth behind what UF told Easley is lying because they haven't told him anything yet.

He tried to commit and they told him, we'll get back to you after we restack our board from the camp.

Simple as that, the restack will be done this week and then youll know more. Word is that UF has Ego Ferguson and Werner (some new German recruit) rated higher then Easley.

Easley is also supposed to have Miami running 2nd since he is looking to play in FL and I doubt we turn him down.

bigbenn
07-28-2009, 02:12 AM
Personally, I think Kyle Prater will end up at TE in college. He doesn't look all that fast and is pretty big, so TE or H-Back for me.

This is funny. Kyle is a long strider, so he looks slower than he was at that time (Around 4.7 or so). Then he got to working. 4.6's at a slow Army Combine track, and then 4.4's recently electronically timed. He flat out DOMINATED the Champaign NIKE Combine, and then the recent Gridiron Kings 7on7. If there was still any doubt whatsoever about his speed, it was gone then when he was burning those speedy Southeast and West DB's. The kid is as motivated as any out there, and he'll only get better. Definitely not a TE or HBack type anywhere he ends up (And you know where I think he will).

Hines
07-28-2009, 08:48 AM
This is funny. Kyle is a long strider, so he looks slower than he was at that time (Around 4.7 or so). Then he got to working. 4.6's at a slow Army Combine track, and then 4.4's recently electronically timed. He flat out DOMINATED the Champaign NIKE Combine, and then the recent Gridiron Kings 7on7. If there was still any doubt whatsoever about his speed, it was gone then when he was burning those speedy Southeast and West DB's. The kid is as motivated as any out there, and he'll only get better. Definitely not a TE or HBack type anywhere he ends up (And you know where I think he will).

I just think when he is done developing, he will possibly end up as a TE. I loved his film.

Sniper
07-28-2009, 09:11 AM
No link at the moment, but Michigan QB commit Devin Gardner has accepted an invite to the Under Armour All-American Game.

CashmoneyDrew
07-28-2009, 10:54 AM
The Vols landed Markeith Ambles today. And I really don't care if it's because UF didn't want him either. He should be a great play maker for us.

wicket
07-28-2009, 11:00 AM
The Vols landed Markeith Ambles today. And I really don't care if it's because UF didn't want him either. He should be a great play maker for us.

kiffen-bryce brown and know markeith ambles, that should be good fun

CashmoneyDrew
07-28-2009, 11:03 AM
kiffen-bryce brown and know markeith ambles, that should be good fun

Kiffin! Hopefully we'll be getting a commitment from Matt Milton soon as well.

wicket
07-28-2009, 11:07 AM

yeah but matt milton is good people

CashmoneyDrew
07-28-2009, 11:15 AM
yeah but matt milton is good people

Aw come on. Kiffin and Brown have done nothing to be considered bad people. And Markeith has people saying things about his attitude, but at least wait until something concrete happens before you crucify him. I have a feeling the staff will keep him under control, and they won't be afraid to kick him out if he ends up being a problem.

sbh15
07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
LOL, Ambles committed as pretty much a slap to our face after we turned him down.

That's pretty funny, committing after an awesome FNL trip. Childish, but a good pickup anyway.

bigbenn
07-28-2009, 02:15 PM
I just think when he is done developing, he will possibly end up as a TE. I loved his film.

I'll make sure to let him know before they play PSU.;):) BTW, more on Prater:

1) Kyle Prater, 6-5/202, Hillside (Ill.) Proviso West

Prater wasn't only the best receiver but he was easily the best prospect at the camp. His combination of size, speed and route-running is impressive. He showed he could move the chains with catches over the middle, could run precise out patterns and has the speed to run away from defensive backs for long touchdowns. Prater's hands are huge and he simply snatches the ball out of the air with ease. He was open more times than you can count but was often missed or overthrown, otherwise he would have dominated even more.

And one more:

The nation's top rated receiver naturally had a target on his back, but he did not do anything to diminish his lofty standing. He showed a lot of the same things that have earned him that ranking: his great size, outstanding hands and ball skills and concentration. What he showed here, was that he had the speed to separate from some of the country's top corners. He got deep several times, getting himself behind the secondary. Later on, teams devoted a lot of attention to him, putting a safety over the top of him, which opened things up for his teammates. The one thing he did not show is run after the catch ability, but he has everything else and proved he deserves all the accolades he has received so far.

bigbenn
07-28-2009, 02:17 PM

This is what he wants to do according to someone I know who talks to him, and I thought it would've been done by the 24th (Wasn't that when he was supposed to visit?). Hopefully Ambles and some others affect his commitment. I still can't believe he went from a stone cold lock to looking like Tennessee in a complete 360.

Sniper
07-28-2009, 02:18 PM
I'll make sure to let him know before they play PSU.;):) BTW, more on Prater:

1) Kyle Prater, 6-5/202, Hillside (Ill.) Proviso West

Prater wasn't only the best receiver but he was easily the best prospect at the camp. His combination of size, speed and route-running is impressive. He showed he could move the chains with catches over the middle, could run precise out patterns and has the speed to run away from defensive backs for long touchdowns. Prater's hands are huge and he simply snatches the ball out of the air with ease. He was open more times than you can count but was often missed or overthrown, otherwise he would have dominated even more.

Link please.