PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame Football

Notredameleo
02-05-2009, 10:42 AM
I figured since there is a thread for Miami football, there may as well be one for ND football. Pretty much just discuss anything ND football related in here. What do you think the lineup will look like next year?

wicket
02-05-2009, 12:55 PM
well the skill positions are pretty much set, except runningback, but that will be a rbc deal imo. Can't be sure about LT, it will either be Romine or Trevor Robinson kicking outside. If TR kicks outside watt could have one guard job with the other being filled up by olsen obviously. Wenger will be the center and Sam Young the RT. On he defensive side: Ian williams as nose guard with ethan johnson and hafis williams being our 3/4 ends and hafis perhaps moving inside when we play 43 (since we do both) with ethan again on the edge, this time with kerry neal. I feel they will try and move brian smith outside again if they can find someone they can trust to man middle (McDonald, Te'o filer Poluszny Calabrese) and play fleming outside as well. Blanton McNeill and the returning walls will share the two starting corner jobs between them and harrison smith will parter up with kyle mccarthey at safety.

Possible strategic changes?/expectations?
I expect a lot of 2 tight end sets. It will be tough to keep either rudolph or ragone of the field. It would also open up the field a bit for Tate and Floyd to be special.
I expect Hughes to be asked (not forced!!!) to play FB. This is a thing he should jump at imo cause he has the ability to be a pro FB, at rb not so much.
I expect a whole bunch of defensive linemen to see plenty of playing time with Ethan Johnson being the mainstay.
I expect most of our defensive recruits to see the field. Only dan fox I feel will not see the field.

Overall I expect next year to be sweet. I feel like we should at least get 9 wins (excluding a possible bowl win, im not projecting that game due to the fact i dont know who we'll play).

Ow yeah and our '10 recruiting class is gonna be #1 nationally(providing that alabama doesnt decide to let 40 guys sign, something i dont put beyond them)

murdamal86
02-06-2009, 02:50 PM
it'll be interesting to see what they do this season. i hope ND does good.

Hollywood
02-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm just glad the Miami fans didn't screw it up and actually put their thread in the college football forum instead of the recruiting forum...

Notredameleo
02-06-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm just glad the Miami fans didn't screw it up and actually put their thread in the college football forum instead of the recruiting forum...

Thats funny because I tried to move it, but I dont know how.. Also, I'm curious as to why youre so hostile? Seemed kind of rude to attack someone for no reason. In my original post I didn't say anything bad about the Canes or anything, which is why im confused. Thanks for being a douche though. Dont worry Canes fans, I know all of you aren't like this a-hole!

Hollywood
02-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Thats funny because I tried to move it, but I dont know how.. Also, I'm curious as to why youre so hostile? Seemed kind of rude to attack someone for no reason. In my original post I didn't say anything bad about the Canes or anything, which is why im confused. Thanks for being a douche though. Dont worry Canes fans, I know all of you aren't like this a-hole!

haha, If you think that was hostile you may be more sensitive than a 14 year old girl watching The Notebook.

Grow some thicker skin bro, you even admitted you messed up.

Cigaro
02-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Notre Dame sucks dick.

wicket
02-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Notre Dame sucks dick.

that is just sad

BRAVEHEART
02-06-2009, 08:29 PM
that is just sad

sucking dick is sad.;)

But on a serious note, do you domers think Shaq will crack the starting line-up no.3 WR?

wicket
02-06-2009, 08:32 PM
sucking dick is sad.;)

But on a serious note, do you domers think Shaq will crack the starting line-up no.3 WR?

get a bunch of playing time yes, but he has some nice players in front of him. so yeah i think he sees the field(if he doesnt want to redshirt but i dont think he wants that) but isnt our third receiver

BRAVEHEART
02-06-2009, 08:36 PM
get a bunch of playing time yes, but he has some nice players in front of him. so yeah i think he sees the field(if he doesnt want to redshirt but i dont think he wants that) but isnt our third receiver

Oh yeah, I forgot about Kumara (or whatever his name is).

wicket
02-06-2009, 08:38 PM

since you are a sc fan and considering our last game you are forgiven for actually not knowing we have any wideouts on our roster

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-06-2009, 08:41 PM

Kamara sucks but there is a lot of talent at the WR position. John Goodman, Deion Walker are both ahead of Shaq atm and Robbie Parris may be as well. It'll be touhg for Shaq to crack the top-3 this year, but he should get a fair amount of playing time.

BRAVEHEART
02-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Kamara sucks but there is a lot of talent at the WR position. John Goodman, Deion Walker are both ahead of Shaq atm and Robbie Parris may be as well. It'll be touhg for Shaq to crack the top-3 this year, but he should get a fair amount of playing time.

I actually liked him, thought he was one of the only players who "stood out", that and your RB (forgot his name). Ethan Johnson looked good in the bowl game too (but then again who didn't?).

Sniper
02-06-2009, 09:00 PM
As much as I hate ND, Golden Tate is the ************* truth. That guy is a legit deep threat.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-06-2009, 10:55 PM
I actually liked him, thought he was one of the only players who "stood out", that and your RB (forgot his name). Ethan Johnson looked good in the bowl game too (but then again who didn't?).

He had a pretty decent freshman campaign, but then got fat and had a huge case of the dropsies this year. James Aldridge is the RB that did decently against you guys, but he has been a massive bust.

Notredameleo
02-07-2009, 12:29 AM
haha, If you think that was hostile you may be more sensitive than a 14 year old girl watching The Notebook.

Truce, i dont want to argue, I was just in a bad mood!! Does anyone know how to move this?

wicket
02-07-2009, 09:46 AM
who do you guys think are our main targets in recruiting for the '10 class(besides lombards and martin who would be up there in my top).
for me: (only realistic targets) also added a ranking on how likely i think they are to come to nd.
1 Seantrel Henderson (6) opp: minnesota USC
2 Jake Heaps (7) opp: UW, BYU
3 Anthony Barr (2) opp: USC
4 James Hurst (3) opp: Indiana Tennessee
5 Khairi Fortt (9) opp: penn state BC
6 Justin McCay (8) opp: kansas mizzou
7 Chance Carter (1) opp: illinois
8 Tai-ler Jones (4) opp: georgia (tech)
9 Sean Parker (10) opp: usc offering
10 CJ Fiedorowicz (5) opp: illinois

captainjack27
02-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Who the hell gives a ****, stop trolling. Either talk about ND football or don't even say anything. That simple.

I'm thinking ND could have a Big year this year...Floyd and Tate are a sick duo.

Hollywood
02-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Who the hell gives a ****.

Obviously you. :)

captainjack27
02-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Obviously you. :)

...How? You were the one complaining that the thread is in the wrong place. I told you it doesn't matter where it is, just make comments pertinent to the thread.

Hollywood
02-07-2009, 01:10 PM
...How? You were the one complaining that the thread is in the wrong place. I told you it doesn't matter where it is, just make comments pertinent to the thread.

You are the one making a big deal about something that A) does not involve you and B) was over and dealt with already until you starting whining to me. My original post of

was not complaining about it, it was simply responding to this opening statement by a ND fan -

I figured since there is a thread for Miami football, there may as well be one for ND football.

If you think that's 'trolling' and not responding to something pertinent to the Miami - ND fan relationship you obviously know nothing about how we feel of each other. Miami fans will take any (this is the key word) opportunity given to talk trash to a domer when they bring us up.

But hey, great job giving a one sentence statement so much attention especially considering it didn't involve you and the person I directed it too already admitted it was not a big deal.

captainjack27
02-07-2009, 01:17 PM
You are the one making a big deal about something that A) does not involve you and B) was over and dealt with already until you starting whining to me. My original post of

was not complaining about it, it was simply responding to this opening statement by a ND fan -

If you think that's 'trolling' and not responding to something pertinent to the Miami - ND fan relationship you obviously know nothing about how we feel of each other. Miami fans will take any (this is the key word) opportunity given to talk trash to a domer when they bring us up.

But hey, great job giving a one sentence statement so much attention especially considering it didn't involve you and the person I directed it too already admitted it was not a big deal.

If it wasn't a big deal, then why make such a long post. All I told you was to just talk about ND football...what's so hard about that?

Now the funny thing about what you said

Miami fans will take any (this is the key word) opportunity given to talk trash to a domer when they bring us up.

No one brought up Miami. You were the first one to say anything. Reffering the Miami. Go ahead though, ruin another thread why don't you.

Hollywood
02-07-2009, 01:20 PM
No one brought up Miami. You were the first one to say anything. Reffering the Miami. Go ahead though, ruin another thread why don't you.

I figured since there is a thread for Miami football, there may as well be one for ND football.

*sigh*

Some people just can't admit they are wrong.

Move along, nothing to see here people. I will gracefully leave this thread until the day Notre Dame wants to play us again. :)

captainjack27
02-07-2009, 01:22 PM
*sigh*

Some people just can't admit they are wrong.

Move along, nothing to see here people. I will gracefully leave this thread until the day Notre Dame wants to play us again. :)

I'm confused...because he said there was a Miami football thread...you have to mock ND fans?...ok, I guess that's cool :rolleyes:

Brent
02-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Jimmy Clausen: first in his family to actually make an impact in the NFL?

captainjack27
02-07-2009, 01:35 PM

I think so, He's got a pretty good arsenal with Floyd, Tate, Rudolph, and the good tandem of RBs in Allen, Aldridge and Hughes. I'd expect big things from Claussen this year with a significantly easier schedule.

Borat
02-07-2009, 01:42 PM
How well did ND do recruiting this year? I don't follow recruiting much.

captainjack27
02-07-2009, 01:45 PM
How well did ND do recruiting this year? I don't follow recruiting much.

#21 according to rivals, got that BIG pickup with Manti Te'O

CroomDawgs
02-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Hollywood, captainjack's point was that it was completely unnecessary to point out they put the thread in a football recruiting forum. He's right. What point were you trying to make? They're stupid? It was an accident. You did a good job of being a tool though. Bravo.

CroomDawgs
02-07-2009, 02:01 PM
As for ND. Offensively they should be very good. Clausen and the group have had 3 years to gel and showed what they can do in their bowl game (albeit it was Hawaii). Defensively They got some young talent its a question of puttign it together. More than anything their schedule is what ill prolly lead them to a 9 win season.

CroomDawgs
02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I've never been high on him. His arm strength isn't overly impressive IMO and i don't think he's any taller than 6'2. Mallett and EJ Manuel IMO are much better prospects to him from that recruiting class.

Notredameleo
02-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I am expecting really good things out of Clausen next year. He is surrounded by talent. Im not sure how his skills translate to the nfl, but he can make all of the throws but he makes some questionable decisions. Also, who do you guys think will having a better ND career, Golden Tate or Michael Floyd? I absolutely love golden tate.

JayP
02-07-2009, 04:09 PM
I am expecting really good things out of Clausen next year. He is surrounded by talent. Im not sure how his skills translate to the nfl, but he can make all of the throws but he makes some questionable decisions. Also, who do you guys think will having a better ND career, Golden Tate or Michael Floyd? I absolutely love golden tate.

Floyd is off to a faster start than Tate, so whatever Tate accomplishes as a Domer will definitely be eclipsed by Floyd, unless Floyd leaves early, that is.

I'm actually interested to see how much of a battle its going to be to determine the starting LBs. I think the only LB that is a lock to start is Brian Smith. Any other LB will be in for a fight to keep his spot. Thoughts?

Notredameleo
02-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Floyd is off to a faster start than Tate, so whatever Tate accomplishes as a Domer will definitely be eclipsed by Floyd, unless Floyd leaves early, that is.

I'm actually interested to see how much of a battle its going to be to determine the starting LBs. I think the only LB that is a lock to start is Brian Smith. Any other LB will be in for a fight to keep his spot. Thoughts?

I agree that Brian Smith is guaranteed a spot. We are absolutely STACKED at LBer. It is actually kind of frustrating. We have all of these good backers but we may never get to see all of their potential.. WIth a guy like fox or Calabrese. These guys would be absolute studs on other teams, but when we have guys like Te'o and Motta. I know its a good problem to have and I probably seem dumb for saying this, but it does get frustrating sometimes. I just hope that since there is so much talent, it pushes all of them to play their tails off.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-07-2009, 05:39 PM
There's a reason Jimmy Clausen was called the best ever prospect in 10+ years at QB. He's a beast and really should've redshirted his freshman year because of the bonespurs in his elbow. Jimmy started off fast this year, but then had a rough stretch, only to seemingly break-out against Hawaii in the Bowl Game. Clausen has a big time arm, great touch and accuracy, just needs to make quicker reads and decision making to improve.

wicket
02-12-2009, 12:24 PM
added tom freeman jr to our '09 recruiting class, check out the article on scout, good read

Sniper
02-12-2009, 12:31 PM
There's a reason Jimmy Clausen was called the best ever prospect in 10+ years at QB. He's a beast and really should've redshirted his freshman year because of the bonespurs in his elbow. Jimmy started off fast this year, but then had a rough stretch, only to seemingly break-out against Hawaii in the Bowl Game. Clausen has a big time arm, great touch and accuracy, just needs to make quicker reads and decision making to improve.

I actually think his arm strength needs work. It's very bleh. He's not Chad Pennington, but he's not JaMarcus Russell either.

wicket
02-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I actually think his arm strength needs work. It's very bleh. He's not Chad Pennington, but he's not JaMarcus Russell either.

every arm gets bigger over time, at the pro's he will have arm strength prolly comparable to brady quinn (how convenient ;) ) so no he cant throw it from endzone to endzone but he has better armstrength than plenty of good starting nfl qbs imo (his arm is now about as strong as drew brees' imo)

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-12-2009, 03:21 PM

I'd say he's around Mark Sanchez as far as arm strength goes.

Sniper
02-12-2009, 03:23 PM

No way. Sanchez's arm is much, much stronger.

wicket
02-12-2009, 03:31 PM

good comparison

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
02-12-2009, 04:03 PM
No way. Sanchez's arm is much, much stronger.

Jimmy's arm isn't nearly as weak as you make it out to be. It's not JaMarcus, but certainly isn't close to Pennington. It's a good arm, better than above-average, IMO.

wicket
02-13-2009, 05:26 PM
well quite a couple of coaching changes: we have 2 new grad assistents in young and white (both brian), tenuta doing the defensive playcalling and charlie possibly moving to the booth, corwin brown becoming his second in command and randy hart seeming to be the new DL coach (grooming BY imo), add in that we already added verducci we seem to have a pretty solid coaching situation.
edit: forgot alford who seems like a great guy to have as well.

JayP
02-13-2009, 10:07 PM
well quite a couple of coaching changes: we have 2 new grad assistents in young and white (both brian), tenuta doing the defensive playcalling and charlie possibly moving to the booth, corwin brown becoming his second in command and randy hart seeming to be the new DL coach (grooming BY imo), add in that we already added verducci we seem to have a pretty solid coaching situation.
edit: forgot alford who seems like a great guy to have as well.

Not nit picking, but its Bryant Young, not Brian.

Charlie seems to be wavering on the going to the booth bit, but if he's going to be the OC, it may be a better move. With his knees as bad as they are, I don't think he can take another accidental shot like he did.

I expect vast improvement this year, or heads will roll.

wicket
02-27-2009, 08:15 PM
we offered everybodys favourite recruit blake lueders today, pretty big leaders for him. could we really have our de need fixed before the spring game?

wicket
02-28-2009, 04:56 AM
12 new offers went out yesterday (1 of which was the beforementioned lueders). It brings us up to 58 offers. Biggest names among the new offers: Marcus Lattimore, Ego Ferguson, Chaz Green and Austin Hinder. I personally dont expect to get to many of these guys, but i guess you never know

Texas Homer
03-14-2009, 03:52 PM
I expect a good season from Notre Dame in 2009.

They will go as far as Jimmy Clausen will take them. It starts with the QB. If the QB plays good, then ND will be solid.

If I'm Charlie Weis, then I'd try to incorporate the spread in the offense more. This being Clausens 3rd year in the program, I hope to see the offseason gains from him. Better chemistry from him and his receivers and better leadership.

The offensive line MUST play better. No excuse for how bad the ND O-Line played last season. ND needs to/MUST do whatever necessary to get the O-Line to play better.

I have faith in Tenuta to get the defense playing better next season.

I think the offense will do better with Haywood gone.(Not trying to hate, just my opinion)

I think ND will ultimately go as far as Clausen will take them.

I'm guessing 9-4,10-3.

wicket
03-18-2009, 08:13 AM
I expect a good season from Notre Dame in 2009.

They will go as far as Jimmy Clausen will take them. It starts with the QB. If the QB plays good, then ND will be solid.

If I'm Charlie Weis, then I'd try to incorporate the spread in the offense more. This being Clausens 3rd year in the program, I hope to see the offseason gains from him. Better chemistry from him and his receivers and better leadership.

The offensive line MUST play better. No excuse for how bad the ND O-Line played last season. ND needs to/MUST do whatever necessary to get the O-Line to play better.

I have faith in Tenuta to get the defense playing better next season.

I think the offense will do better with Haywood gone.(Not trying to hate, just my opinion)

I think ND will ultimately go as far as Clausen will take them.

I'm guessing 9-4,10-3.

You hit the bullseye there. I truly believe this team can go as far as the OLine takes them. When given proper time (not even talking bradford time) Jimmy can torch everybody like one of the best qbs in college football. He is not as good with pressure though.

In totally different news. Apparently ND is trying to scedule Miami again. Could have something to do with florida recruiting which has been on the decline slightly.

wicket
04-15-2009, 03:20 AM
I'll have a dab at our spring game recruit list. keep in mind that this list is still subject to change:

Confirmed:
Christian Lombard OL - IL (committed)
Chris Martin LB/DE - CA (committed)
Daniel Smith WR - IN (committed)
Spencer Boyd DB- FL (offered)
Corey Cooper WR - IL (offered)
C.J.Fiedorowicz TE - IL (offered)
Khairi Fortt LB - CT (offered)
Justin McCay WR - KS (offered)
Nate Montana QB- CA (offered)
Kyle Prater WR - IL (offered)
Cody Riggs CB - FL (offered)
James Stone OL - TN (offered)
Andrew Donnal OL - OH (interested)
Zach Fulton OL - IL (interested)
Morgan Linton FB - AR (interested)
Laken Tomlinson OL - IL (interested)
Luke Massa QB - OH (interested)
Jordan Paskorz DE - PA (interested)
Cameron Roberson RB - CA (interested)
Matt Rotheram OL - OH (interested)

Possibly attending
Seantrel Henderson OL - MN (offered) (would be attending but there is a family situation that might prevent him from doing so)
Matt James OL - OH (offered)
Tai-ler Jones WR - GA (offered) ---- can be crossed off the list if he commits elsewhere
Dominique Easley DE - NY (interested)
Geoff Gibson OL - (interested)
Lucky Radley RB - CA (interested)
Dietrich Riley ATH - CA (offered)