PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign RB Travis Henry to five-year deal

NGSeiler
03-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Henry's fills void in Broncos' backfield (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788592)
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
Updated: March 5, 2007, 2:27 PM ET

Filling their need for a proven tailback, the Denver Broncos on Monday reached a contract agreement with Travis Henry, who was released on Saturday by the Tenenessee Titans to avoid paying him an $8.3 million roster bonus.

Henry will sign a five-year contract that includes $12 million in guarantees, ESPN.com has learned.

Within hours of his release, Henry flew to Denver and visited with Broncos officials over the weekend, while agent Hadley Engelhard negotiated a deal. Henry also drew considerable interest from the Oakland Raiders, who hoped to bring him in for a visit this week.

Henry, 28, carried 270 times for 1,211 yards and seven touchdowns in 2006, and notched six 100-yard outings. The former University of Tennessee standout spent the first four years of his career with the Buffalo Bills before being traded to the Titans in 2005.

In 78 games, including 62 starts, Henry has carried 1,321 times for 5,395 yards and 34 touchdowns. He also has 134 receptions for 886 yards and two scores. In addition to his 1,000-yard season in 2006, Henry ran for over 1,000 yards in two of his four seasons with the Bills.

TitleTown088
03-05-2007, 01:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2788592&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Denver sure went all out this offseason.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 01:43 PM
From the "Mile High Willis" thread:

I think the Broncos would be best off signing Travis Henry, than trading a day-1 pick for Willis McGahee.

I am so smart, I am so smart, S.M.R.T..

doh!

I mean S.M.A.R.T

time to wait for someone to get the reference

cordscords
03-05-2007, 01:45 PM

doh!

I mean S.M.A.R.T

classic simpsons!

dont know all the contract details, but it's probably too much. either way, henry will fit in well with the broncos.

TheGunShow
03-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Damn. Figured he'd get paid but would of loved a Parker/Henry combo.

Addict
03-05-2007, 01:52 PM
Denver really is going at it this offseason that's for sure. They did need a new RB with Tatum Bell being traded to the Lions.

Geo
03-05-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm all for Travis Henry leaving the Tennessee Titans for the Denver Broncos. However is playing for Denver is going to run on the Indianapolis Colts anyways, at least now the Colts won't have to face Henry twice a year in divisional games.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 01:55 PM
That's why they traded for Bly, last year Reggie Wayne tore Darrent Williams tore up. Now they just need some D-Line, O-Line help via the draft. If they sufficiently do so, I will be hard pressed to not pick them as the preliminary favorites. Especially under the assumption that Jay Cutler will have a Carson Palmer like ascension.

eaglesalltheway
03-05-2007, 01:56 PM
There is the exact same post and you posted the exact same time, so one of you will be locked, don't know who, but thought I should let you know.

bsaza2358
03-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Denver: this year's Washington Redskins... hahaha

I do think these moves will pay off, though. Bly and Henry are upgrades for them.

Geo
03-05-2007, 02:01 PM
I hope everyone picks the Broncos as the favorite to win it all.

bsaza2358
03-05-2007, 02:02 PM
I think Palmer-like ascention is incredibly rare, so I don't count on it from anyone. Who has had that kind of development in the last 5-8 years? Manning, Palmer, Brees (came out of nowhere), and Warner. That's about it. You could make arguments for Brady, McNabb, and Pennington, but their development was much more steady. We're talking step in and be a pro bowler numbers. The chances of that happening in Denver for sure is not high, given past percentages...

Geo
03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
BTW, could Henry finally give us fantasy football owners a Broncos RB to covet with open arms since Portis? I hope so, although with Shanny you can never really tell.

Pit Bull #53
03-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Good for him getting paid. He'll do very well in Denver. Henry was always one of my favorites, he ran hard, was strong as hell, and has one of the most wicked stiff arms in the league. As long as he stays away from the weed he'll be fine, cause with another positive test, he's gone for a year. I am a little disappointed that we could bring him back, but now it seems that we will see if LenDale has what it takes to be a starter.

Shiver
03-05-2007, 02:09 PM
I think Palmer-like ascention is incredibly rare, so I don't count on it from anyone. Who has had that kind of development in the last 5-8 years? Manning, Palmer, Brees (came out of nowhere), and Warner. That's about it. You could make arguments for Brady, McNabb, and Pennington, but their development was much more steady. We're talking step in and be a pro bowler numbers. The chances of that happening in Denver for sure is not high, given past percentages...

Jay Cutler has all the tools, in the right situation, to jump up to elite level in my estimation. He transitioned into the starting role, far better than anyone thought he would be able to. He is in the offense, with the weapons, to ascend like Rivers and Palmer have done in recent seasons.

RickNJ83
03-05-2007, 02:14 PM
Bly is going to get traded again. Not sure what they'll get but Denver may regret trading for him.

princefielder28
03-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Wonder where willis will end up now???

art vandelay
03-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Willis is going to the New York Football Giants.

Man_Of_Steel
03-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Yea Willis is prob going to NY.

Caddy
03-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Good signing for the Broncos. Bell and Henry should make for a decent combo

princefielder28
03-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Willis is going to the New York Football Giants.

If he doesn't go to the Ginats b/c the Giants may sign Rhodes, that leaves NYJ, OAK, and GB. He won't be traded in the division so NYJ is out of the question, GB probably doesn't want to pay Willis big money long term, and that leaves Oakland. How about Willis for Moss type deal???? Buffalo could use another receiving threat

draftguru151
03-05-2007, 02:34 PM
:( I really wanted to see McGahee there.

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I don't think it could have worked out better for Travis. I wonder how the guaranteed money is spread out though. If it's all, or mostly, upfront that would lead one to believe that he is a player they plan on keeping around for a while.

BehrenMan007
03-05-2007, 03:06 PM
decent signing...

Denver Bronco99
03-05-2007, 03:11 PM
So this is basically a GREAT offseason so far

we have the best CB and a top 5-10 CB....we got 2 DTs that fit bate's defencive system..that being 2 300+lb dt. We got a top 15 HB in henry. THe draft will most likely be a Safety or DE now...which should def. open things up

Cutler has walker and marshall, and sheffler.....if anyone want to check this out....the most productive TE in dec. (the 4 weeks sheffler started) was sheffler. Henry is a proven runner....going to the best running system.

This has def. been a great offseason

Shiver
03-05-2007, 03:13 PM
So this is basically a GREAT offseason so far

we have the best CB and a top 5-10 CB....we got 2 DTs that fit bate's defencive system..that being 2 300+lb dt. We got a top 15 HB in henry. THe draft will most likely be a Safety or DE now...which should def. open things up

Cutler has walker and marshall, and sheffler.....if anyone want to check this out....the most productive TE in dec. (the 4 weeks sheffler started) was sheffler. Henry is a proven runner....going to the best running system.

This has def. been a great offseason

While I agree that the Broncos have greatly improved their team, you are overrating Dre Bly a bit. He's probably in the 15-20 range.

Denver Bronco99
03-05-2007, 03:15 PM
While I agree that the Broncos have greatly improved their team, you are overrating Dre Bly a bit. He's probably in the 15-20 range.

you might be right but i have never heard anythign bad and he has always been know as a GREAT man to man defender...and thats pretty much all denver runs....so he and champ should have a feild day

Shiver
03-05-2007, 03:17 PM
He is most assuredly one of the best #2 corners in the league. He should have a lot of opportunities to make plays, opposite of Bailey.

Denver Bronco99
03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
He is most assuredly one of the best #2 corners in the league. He should have a lot of opportunities to make plays, opposite of Bailey.

well considering he was a probowler...him now playing #2 would have to put him in the argurment of being the best #2

bearsfan_51
03-05-2007, 03:19 PM
you might be right but i have never heard anythign bad and he has always been know as a GREAT man to man defender...and thats pretty much all denver runs....so he and champ should have a feild day

If you've never heard anything bad about Bly you aren't paying attention. He's very overated and gets burnt all the time. That being said, the trade was of good value, and he'll be a fine #2. He is not, however, an upper-tier corner and that is the previous problem because he was considered one.

diabsoule
03-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I really like this signing by Denver. I've always been a fan of Henry and I think he will flourish in the zone blocking system.

Diehard
03-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I really like this signing by Denver. I've always been a fan of Henry and I think he will flourish in the zone blocking system.

I really like it as well. Henry has the right running style for Denver's offense (strong, decent speed, runs with authority, doesn't dance).

Now, if we could just get both the lines upgraded...

21ST
03-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Nice pick up by the broncos.

smittyjs
03-05-2007, 04:27 PM
Sad to see him go, i think White will be fine.

goblue8888
03-05-2007, 04:27 PM
are off season isnt over were still trying to get kerney and graham

SuperMcGee
03-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Henry is still one of my favorite players. Good for him, I hope he does well there. Shouldn't be too hard.

jth1331
03-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Hope he lays off the weed so he doesn't get a year vacation.
I like him though, think he could get 1400+ yards and 10+ TD's, with Bell spelling him, forming a good combo.

elway777
03-05-2007, 04:53 PM
I wanted Henry more than Mcgahee anyways, better fit with less distraction. Not to mention lower contract.

Flyboy
03-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Hm, this only leaves LenDale White as runningback for the Titans.

niel89
03-05-2007, 06:04 PM
denver has been very active this offseason. if they sign kerney or draft a good DE they are very solid at every position.

elway777
03-05-2007, 06:05 PM
denver has been very active this offseason. if they sign kerney or draft a good DE they are very solid at every position.

except O-line...

niel89
03-05-2007, 06:13 PM
except O-line...

what parts of the oline are bad? i know lepsis will come back and i think pears will play RT. nalen is still the C. are the guards not that good? i thought denver was moving towards bigger o line men?

etk
03-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I thought it was "guaranteed" that he would sign back with Tennessee? I thought it was "guaranteed" that the Broncos were trading for Willis? Some of the rumours you guys make up are just hilarious.

Pit Bull #53
03-05-2007, 06:28 PM
I thought it was "guaranteed" that he would sign back with Tennessee?

No one ever said that. The only thing that was ever said about him coming back is that his agent and the Titans were still in contact with each other. Seems like you're the one making things up.

Btw, on the $8.3 million roster bonus that he was due, it was put into his contract last year by Floyd Reese, and was completely idiotic. IIRC, he only had to score 1 touchdown to qualify for the bonus. From reading around, the word is that we offered to restructure his deal to convert the $8.3M roster bonus into a signing bonus so that the hit didn't come all this year, but they declined it and eventually ended up getting $12M guaranteed from Denver, so looks like it was a smart move on his part. Plus he's now in a great situation as long as he passes his drug tests.

3projectPAT6
03-05-2007, 06:45 PM
Am i the only bronco fan displeased with this news?? Travis Henry is not the feature back i was looking/hoping for out of free agency. Hes gonna get 1,000-1,200 yards and >10 touchdowns... thats decent but i would of really liked to see us get a dangerous back, mike bell could of put up these same numbers. I fail to see how Travis Henry is an upgrade.

toonsterwu
03-05-2007, 06:52 PM
I like the move. It gives them a solid back to protect Cutler now, and a veteran to buy time as they develop a young back. The move also gives them draft flexibility. It may push back RB on the needs to a midround level. It could also lead to them being more aggressive in moving up for an impact defensive talent.

3projectPAT6
03-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Travis Henry is the most average runningback ive ever seen...

Stash
03-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Wow, you're pretty rough on a guy that just had a very productive season, and that was with the Titans. Imagine what he'll do in Denvers scheme.

sdpads24
03-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Well this sucks. Give another good RB to the broncos and who knows what's can happen. Travis Henry came of a very solid year even after spliting carries.

art vandelay
03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Travis Henry is the most average runningback ive ever seen...

Trust me, he's a good RB...you'll be very happy with him. He's a hard worker and a really powerful RB. Also, he has like <1% body fat, if that matters to you at all.

bantx
03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
umm broncos will still suck =\

bantx
03-05-2007, 08:28 PM
umm Broncos will still suck....

cunningham06
03-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Excellent signing, McGahee's contract is probably going to be ridiculous.

niel89
03-05-2007, 09:11 PM
umm broncos will still suck =\

they are still pretty good.......

bantx
03-05-2007, 09:57 PM
sorry for double post

nyjetsguy27
03-06-2007, 08:02 AM
travis henry is a kind and decent man... plus he tore it up last year and with the bills a while ago

frogstomp
03-06-2007, 03:57 PM
sorry for double post

Even as a single post it's completely worthless.

I can walk into any team's thread and say "____ suck" with absolutely no evidence at all. My god, you think people really care what you think when you post something that any monkey with a keyboard can type?

This is why I usually stay out of the NFL forum... it's 90% idiots who post the same things as the other idiots. Then they wonder *why* exactly we call them idiots...

Make an argument. Use some evidence. Give someone a reason to believe that you aren't just talking straight out of your ass, or stop posting.

jth1331
03-06-2007, 03:59 PM
we have zero depth right now, except at center. one would assume either myers or eslinger will move to guard which would help, but we still need more interior Oline depth. our tackle depth is hideous, and i'm not sure very many denver fans buy Pears right now after how bad he looked in relief of lepsis last season (although, granted, RT and LT are very different positions). i'm just not sure anyone would say we're "solid" at this point (although the starters should be pretty good, as usual).

I do agree with the lack of depth, to a degree, but Pears did not play as hideous as you make it sound. I think after last season, he could do well at RT.
Kuper, Eslinger and Meyers are all good, plus we just signed that Holland guy at G. Kuper apparentally was doing awesome last year in camp and preseason, and the coaches almost put him in the lineup last year at RT I think.
I think if we can get another tackle for depth, a solid one, we should be good.

bigbluedefense
03-06-2007, 04:03 PM

doh!

I mean S.M.A.R.T

I love the Simpsons!!! And no, I didn't cheat and see if anyone else called it out. I didn't have to look it up either. :smile:

I don't like the move quite honestly. They couldve nabbed a RB in the draft. All they really need is a WR, RB and DE and theyre set. They didn't need to get a FA RB.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-06-2007, 05:59 PM
I love the Simpsons!!! And no, I didn't cheat and see if anyone else called it out. I didn't have to look it up either. :smile:

I don't like the move quite honestly. They couldve nabbed a RB in the draft. All they really need is a WR, RB and DE and theyre set. They didn't need to get a FA RB.

True, but with Shanahan, he loves moving up in the draft. So we have taken care of DT and RB, WR shouldnt be too bad with Walker and Marshall(who was very good as a rookie), so Shanahan might move up into range for an elite D-Lineman or safety.

Mr. Stiller
03-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Damn. Figured he'd get paid but would of loved a Parker/Henry combo.

??? Why?

aren't the Giants Signing Rhodes?

Iamcanadian
03-07-2007, 06:08 AM
On paper, Denver's pickups look sensational, however in reality, spending a lot on FA's hasn't accomplished much for teams in the past so we'll just have to wait and see.

portermvp84
03-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Henry in Broncos system=1,000 yard season lol.