PDA

View Full Version : Chargers Discussion Thread

Thunder&Lightning
02-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Discuss anything no specifics....

ag27
02-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Any chance you think we try and get Ray Lewis in free agency. I know high end free agents are not our thing, but it would realy help the defense out. Also, it would make it easier to grab a lineman or running back in the first if Maualuga is still on the board.

Thunder&Lightning
02-09-2009, 11:56 AM
He would be a great sign but Id rather have them Draft a LB. His career is winding down and he would only be a short term solution now. The draft is deep in LB and the Bolts are in a great position to get Maul who is a top 15 talent and could be one of the Bolts defensive anchors for the next 10 years.

ag27
02-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure whether Maualuga would be that great of a pick in the first. From what I have seen Maualuga, Siler, and Waters all have farely similar skill sets (energetic run stuufers who struggle in pass coverage). Would having a slight upgrade at ILB in the future be more important than a guy that could come in and have a more immediate impact.

San Diego Chicken
02-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure whether Maualuga would be that great of a pick in the first. From what I have seen Maualuga, Siler, and Waters all have farely similar skill sets (energetic run stuufers who struggle in pass coverage). Would having a slight upgrade at ILB in the future be more important than a guy that could come in and have a more immediate impact.

Good points. In my opinion, ILB isn't even the biggest need on defense, because we're talking about a two down player, and A.J. has some solid young prospects at ILB. Safety & DE are bigger needs

bergo23
02-16-2009, 07:06 AM
Besides Tyson Jackson who should be available at #16, what other players are out there who could fill the Igor spot? Free Agency or the draft.

ag27
02-16-2009, 04:12 PM
No one else would be worth it at 16, but we could try and trade up into the late second for a Fili Moala (USC) or sit where we are at in the third and hope Jarron Gilbert (San Jose State) is there. Both of those guys would be good fits as a 3-4 DE, but Jackson is the cream of the crop.

I'm personally hoping that Mark Sanchez falls because there would be a lot of competition between the Jets, Bucs, Vikings, and maybe even the bears would try and trade up to get him.

Thunder&Lightning
02-17-2009, 10:34 PM
No one else would be worth it at 16, but we could try and trade up into the late second for a Fili Moala (USC) or sit where we are at in the third and hope Jarron Gilbert (San Jose State) is there. Both of those guys would be good fits as a 3-4 DE, but Jackson is the cream of the crop.

I'm personally hoping that Mark Sanchez falls because there would be a lot of competition between the Jets, Bucs, Vikings, and maybe even the bears would try and trade up to get him.

I agree on the Sanchez point we would have a hot spot with a couple teams wanting Sanchez. I do feel that there will be some other prospects other than Jackson worth the #16 spot. I think Maul, Wells, and Moreno will be there and would deff not be a reach.

bantx
02-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Merriman/Cooper/ReyRey/Phillips

Ive been thinking about that a lot and the more i do the more i like.

Thunder&Lightning
02-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Merriman/Cooper/ReyRey/Phillips

Ive been thinking about that a lot and the more i do the more i like.

Arguably the best LB core in the NFL

ag27
02-20-2009, 11:55 PM
I agree on the Sanchez point we would have a hot spot with a couple teams wanting Sanchez. I do feel that there will be some other prospects other than Jackson worth the #16 spot. I think Maul, Wells, and Moreno will be there and would deff not be a reach.

I meant at Defensive End, but ya those 3 would be the other options unless Oher or Andre Smith drops to us which seems very doubtful.

bantx
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
anthony waters has been released, im kinda suprised.

Thunder&Lightning
03-03-2009, 07:21 PM
anthony waters has been released, im kinda suprised.

Ya im really suprised there...

CC.SD
03-06-2009, 06:35 PM
So now that we have swung and missed on Drayton Florence, Jermaine Phillips, and Kevin freaking Burnett and the impact FAs have been signed, is it time to seriously re-consider AJ's approach to free agency? Our defense is abysmal, awful, and embarrassing and yet we have done nothing despite AJ musing to the press months ago that this team needed veterans and leadership.

Trading our 2nd this year (to New England) for a non-athlete fullback with terrible blocking skills in Jacob Hester is pretty humiliating as well. We better get a freaking hall of famer at #16. But even then it's tough to be happy considering the serious holes in our roster, not sure I can handle another year of Jeromey Clary or Clinton Hart.

I still hold out hope for Mike Brown, and subsequently a healthy Mike Brown.

Burns336
03-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Wow you guys got Burnett...

Very solid signing, I wonder if you guys are planning on using him as a starter?

I was hoping we could retain him, which we would have if we weren't about to give Ware a bigger contract than Haynesworth.

Great player, very underrated. I actually think he's going to break out with the Chargers. Great speed, good coverage skills, solid against the run, intense... Only thing not to like about the guy is his durability.

I wonder if this takes you guys out of the running for Maualuga? I guess it depends on if you view Burnett as a starter, or just a nickel backer.

San Diego Chicken
03-11-2009, 03:11 AM
Wow you guys got Burnett...

Very solid signing, I wonder if you guys are planning on using him as a starter?

I was hoping we could retain him, which we would have if we weren't about to give Ware a bigger contract than Haynesworth.

Great player, very underrated. I actually think he's going to break out with the Chargers. Great speed, good coverage skills, solid against the run, intense... Only thing not to like about the guy is his durability.

I wonder if this takes you guys out of the running for Maualuga? I guess it depends on if you view Burnett as a starter, or just a nickel backer.

Same thing I was wondering about the draft. I'm guessing the idea is to platoon Burnett and Dobbins.

bergo23
03-13-2009, 06:02 AM
I think the Burnett signing means Oline (Oher or Andre Smith if he falls) or Dline (Tyson Jackson or even my darkhorse pick Jarron Gilbert) with #16.

The other possibility is Malcolm Jenkins if they think he can be a Pro Bowl Safety alongside Weddle.

CC.SD
03-15-2009, 01:12 PM
I think the Burnett signing means Oline (Oher or Andre Smith if he falls) or Dline (Tyson Jackson or even my darkhorse pick Jarron Gilbert) with #16.

The other possibility is Malcolm Jenkins if they think he can be a Pro Bowl Safety alongside Weddle.

Tyson Jackson at 16 is growing on me, I think a front 3 of Jackson Williams Castillo will be beastly, and its effects will get compounded by Merriman's return.

Never really thought about drafting Jenkins specifically as a safety. I doubt it will happen, at this point I want a big ugly, on either O or D. You never know with AJ, he is proving to have quite a secondary player fetish.

bergo23
03-29-2009, 06:04 AM
Upon further review, Jenkins won't get past NO at #14, they need both of his potential positions.

The real question is will AJ roll the dice on Jarron Gilbert?! Guy is a beast and if Tyson is gone...we need him. He may be a bit of a reach at #16....but if Sanchez is available at #16 (or someone has fallen in love with the kid from KState) we might be able to trade down. Gilbert is the best fit of need and ceiling needed in a first rounder.

AJ rolled the dice a couple of years ago with Cro, who only played sparingly in college. The jury is still out on that pick in his mind (not mine, I still think Cro will be a perenial Pro Bowler after a humbling 2008-9)....but Gilbert is the same kind of boom or bust prospect.

If Tyson is there, he is the pick....Jackson sounds like the kind of safe pick (ala Cason) last year we need to build our championship D.

If Jackson is gone, I hope he rolls the dice on pool jumper!!!

Thunder&Lightning
03-29-2009, 06:34 PM
I saw a Mock Draft on NFL.Com couple days ago and the guy had the bolts gettin Maclin. I smiled and got excited for a minute than realized its not possible... that would be awesome though.

Splat
04-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Sproles signs rich 1-year deal with Chargers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargers-sproles&prov=ap&type=lgns)

bantx
04-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Nice to see him sign it, I was hoping he wouldve did a long term contract instead but we still have him on the team at least.

CC.SD
04-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Nice to see him sign it, I was hoping he wouldve did a long term contract instead but we still have him on the team at least.

They apparently are still negotiating for a long term contract.

703SKINS202
08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm going out to San Diego for the first time to visit my bro whos been living out there for a couple of years now. I dont know exactly where he lives but I was hoping to get some help from you guys. Is there anything I absolutely have to do while I'm there? And what other things might interest me while I'm there(I'm 21).

San Diego Chicken
08-13-2009, 03:52 PM
I'm going out to San Diego for the first time to visit my bro whos been living out there for a couple of years now. I dont know exactly where he lives but I was hoping to get some help from you guys. Is there anything I absolutely have to do while I'm there? And what other things might interest me while I'm there(I'm 21).

Watersports. Go to Mission Bay and rent a waverunner. Skip over to the beach and go surfing/bodysurfing. If you like to party, go eat and drink in Pacific Beach. If you're into the artsy type of scene, check the City Heights area. Wanna paint the town, spend some time in the Gaslamp district & some of the more upscale places like the Hard Rock or Ivy hotels.

TitanHope
08-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Question:

Is Antonio Cromartie entrenched as the #2 starter, or do ya'll think Antoine Cason will win the job?

San Diego Chicken
08-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Question:

Is Antonio Cromartie entrenched as the #2 starter, or do ya'll think Antoine Cason will win the job?

Right now Cromartie seems safe as the #2. He had a very nice interception of Kurt Warner at the goal line last night.

Some other thoughts -

The screen game looks great as usual. Should be the bread and butter play again for 2009.

First string defense looked fast and physical.

Vaughn Martin is raw as hell and doesn't have any moves, but he can hold the point of attack and looks like he can contribute on this level eventually. He is painfully slow, however.

Louis Vasquez got some time with the first string offense. I was surprised to see how quick he looked on a kickout block on one of LT's runs.

That kid CJ Spillman looked like a man possessed late in the game.

Charley Martin deserves a spot on the practice squad at least, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

I love how Applewhite is playing so far. Dobbins looks good too.

Gartrell Johnson dissapointed me on that last redzone series, but still looks decent.

Both fullbacks were solid.

The only negative I saw, and it's a huge, code red emergency problem, was how the OL got absolutely eviscerated by AZ's 1st string DL. I mean, that was absolutely embarrassing. And we're talking about the pro bowlers - Dielman and McNeill - who were whiffing in pass pro. Very, very, very bad news and needs to be fixed NOW.

eldwin
08-23-2009, 11:58 PM
article on Vaughn Martin: Tyson Jackson. Vaughn Martin. What's the difference? Over 50 million dollars. (http://smashmouthmensans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581)

SuperKevin
09-07-2009, 12:28 AM
What do you all think about Travis Johnson? I think he can fill in nicely for Olshansky

bergo23
09-13-2009, 11:53 AM
We may find out Monday night with Cesaire's injury!!! Those vaunted Run stopping skills should get full display against the Raiders.

San Diego Chicken
09-15-2009, 02:35 AM
Johnson started I guess, but Nwagboo (sp?) seemed to get most of the time and I saw a bit of Vaughn Martin sprinkled in there too. Nwagboo was the only one who got a sack tonight.

Rosebud
09-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Giants just picked up Gartrell Johnson with the injury to Ware, just curious what you guys saw out of him in camp and PS.

Splat
09-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Chargers send Jamal Williams to IR (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/19/chargers-send-jamal-williams-to-ir/)

bantx
09-21-2009, 02:48 AM
I still have hope for this season after watching how we played against the Ravens, competing. The O-line is going to be our a chillies heel this year again, and our run defense, nothing new.

San Diego Chicken
09-21-2009, 03:09 AM
I still have hope for this season after watching how we played against the Ravens, competing. The O-line is going to be our a chillies heel this year again, and our run defense, nothing new.

I feel pretty bad about things after the first two weeks. Right now the run game is non existant and the defense is borderline bad. The passing game is great... Except for the fact that the protection sucks. I don't see how the Chargers are any better than last year given the above. In fact, let's face it, as much as we all slept well this summer knowing Merriman would be back, the loss of Jamal is much more significant.

Staubach12
10-01-2009, 12:10 PM
How has Demetrius Byrd looked? I loved him coming out...

CC.SD
11-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Byrd has been on IR following his accident and will have a shot to make the team next year.

In other news:

Chargers #1 in division. Rivers #1 in our hearts.

bantx
11-24-2009, 05:21 PM
group hi5 in reps

critesy
12-29-2009, 01:03 AM
go skins..

Splat
12-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Rivers wins Chargers MVP prize (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/30/rivers-wins-chargers-mvp-prize/)

SuperMcGee
01-12-2010, 02:17 PM
We did you a solid last year. Now destroy the Jetz, plz.

D-Unit
01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Who are your own FAs this year? I wanna know if there is anyone left from the Phillips era that he would poke a chance at.

DiG
01-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Who are your own FAs this year? I wanna know if there is anyone left from the Phillips era that he would poke a chance at.

Charlie Whitehurst, RFA
Darren Sproles, RFA
WR Malcom Floyd, RFA
WR Vincent Jackson, RFA
C Eric Ghiaciuc, RFA
OT Jeromey Clary, RFA
OT Marcus McNeill, RFA
DT Travis Johnson, RFA
OLB Shawne Merriman, RFA
ILB Tim Dobbins, RFA
FB Mike Tolbert, ERFA

T Alfonso Boone, UFA
TE Brandon Manumaleuna, UFA
C Dennis Norman UFA
WR Kassim Osgood, UFA
DT Ian Scott, UFA
TE Kris Wilson, UFA

Average OT LB
01-16-2010, 06:11 AM
“Hopefully I won’t play in the playoffs,” said Volek, who nearly was intercepted five plays before the winning TD. “I want Philip to stay healthy, but if my number is called, I have to go out and execute the plays that are called...”
- Volek, yahoo sports recap

I laughed.

Crickett
01-17-2010, 02:57 AM
CA2B47_l9kg

bergo23
01-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Today's game will tell alot about if the NFL has changed its winning formula: will it be smash mouth and tough D or will Norv and the boys have enough answers to stay ahead of Sexy Rexy?

herniateddisc
01-17-2010, 10:14 PM
This is two playoff games I remeber Kaeding losing.

2 Live Crew
01-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Norv Turner is freaking horrendous...how do you give him a contract extension? Do SD fans actually like this clown? He's clueless.

San Diego Chicken
01-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Norv Turner is freaking horrendous...how do you give him a contract extension? Do SD fans actually like this clown? He's clueless.

I wouldn't say he is liked. Charger fans are either apathetic towards Norv or just plain hate him. I personally do not approve of the transformation from power football team to finesse on both sides of the ball. It would be easy to just blame Kaeding for Sunday, but the bottom like is San Diego was beaten by a more physical football team. That's why the Colts are seemingly the only team the Chargers can beat in the playoffs.

CC.SD
01-23-2010, 01:48 PM
I like Norv, there are lots of reasons we lost the Jets game. Norv's record is unparalleled in Charger history and he's built up Rivers. As long as Rivers is around we'll never be dead in the water as far as the Super Bowl is concerned, so be content with Meltyface for a while.

lancer
01-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I also like Norv. He's done a good job, maybe not great but definately good. I don't blame the teams lack of physical toughness on Norv. Remember those Dallas teams ran the ball very physically. I think the problem is that LT can no longer make the first tackler miss and he was never a physical runner that could run over people.

I get tired of hearing about how great Marty Shottenheimer was. His teams were also slow starters every year and he always played big games not to lose instead of to win. Before his last year in SD everyone wanted him gone except Spanos. One good year didn't change what I thought of Marty as a coach. Plus you don't see anybody else lining up to hire him, that should tell you something.

bergo23
01-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Playas didn't play. Keading Choked (I still love the guy)....Rivers made a crucial mistake. Norv did not lose us that game.

We need to address the running game with a new #21 (though he would never wear that # in a bolt uniform)....I hope AJ pulls the trigger with Dwyer, he would replace Burner in the hearts of Bolts fans. Also, a RT to compete for the starting job.

Cro needs to go, him pulling up and not taking on Shonn Greene let out season slip away. We need Cason in there, the anti Cro when it comes to physicality. I wouldn't mind keeping lights out one more year to let English develop further. If Rivera stays our D will be fine, he did a heck of a job without the most important position in a 3-4 all year.

Norv gives us a chance in the playoffs, Shotty was a choker and let the pressure and his conservatism get to him.

CC.SD
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Well it's come to this. LT has decided to burn some bridges on the way out.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/feb/04/1s4tomlinson/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Unemotional summary: He didn't feel like he was part of the team, didn't get enough carries, wasn't used properly, young players entering the league do not have the same values, no sense of family, too many changes, won't take a paycut.

Sigh. It was literally two weeks ago that this was the best team he'd ever been on and he was talking about finally getting a ring. He's not 100% wrong but there's a skewed perspective here that's tough to miss. Sorry to see this happen.

BmoreBlackByrdz
02-04-2010, 08:13 PM
hey what would you guys think about this trade, if L.T. does in fact leave this offseason.

Baltimore Ravens trade Willis McGahee for Malcom Floyd.

I think it's a fair trade. Both guys were #2's behind a better player on there old team (Ray Rice & Vincent Jackson) and if they were to get traded, both would have bigger roles.

I think a duo of Sproles and McGahee would actually be pretty interesting.

And what do you guys have to say of Floyd? Can he be a #1 in this league? or is he a complimentry WR?

CC.SD
02-08-2010, 02:01 PM
hey what would you guys think about this trade, if L.T. does in fact leave this offseason.

Baltimore Ravens trade Willis McGahee for Malcom Floyd.

I think it's a fair trade. Both guys were #2's behind a better player on there old team (Ray Rice & Vincent Jackson) and if they were to get traded, both would have bigger roles.

I think a duo of Sproles and McGahee would actually be pretty interesting.

And what do you guys have to say of Floyd? Can he be a #1 in this league? or is he a complimentry WR?

Floyd's value is definitely higher than McGahee's right now, Baltimore would have to throw in a pick. I like it if the Charger FO decides to think short term but would prefer they actually just drafted a blue chip RB. Willis obviously has something left in the tank but you can't imagine it will last too much longer.

I love Floyd, I keep reading rumors about Baltimore giving up their #2 straight up for him and honestly it would be worth it. He is very polished as a route runner, with silk hands and obviously a gigantic frame/wingspan. Seems like a perfect match with Flacco if not Rivers. I do believe he can be a number 1 in this league, because he has developed into a true matchup nightmare, a 6'5 receiver who actually uses his size to win matchups and can get to any spot on the field.

I would take a 2nd rounder (just because the Bolts have a million needs and already have Jackson/Gates/Naanee) but any lower and he's flat out worth keeping.

bantx
02-08-2010, 02:45 PM
If it was a 2nd I'd do it, but I love Floyd and would rather keep him.

bergo23
02-13-2010, 10:46 PM
If Charlie Joiner says he can become #1, you betta believe dat!!!! I know he will always be overshadowed by VJ...but we need the guy, especially with a running game makeover likely in 2010.

Clarkpba
02-17-2010, 04:22 PM
Since there isn't alot of discussion from you charger fans on here im guessing that some of the rumors i've been hearing about the chargers must not be true then.

Rumor #1.
The chargers trade for Marshawn Lynch and give the Bills their 2nd round pick that intyrn use to pick Toby Gerhart and use him as a support back to Fred Jackson.

Rumor #2
The Chargers have Cromartie(sp?) on the Trade block Looking to get a top end RB in return.

Like usual these are just rumors floating around but i'm hearing them all the way in Ohio and these have come from national reporters that cover the NFL.

CC.SD
02-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Since there isn't alot of discussion from you charger fans on here im guessing that some of the rumors i've been hearing about the chargers must not be true then.

Rumor #1.
The chargers trade for Marshawn Lynch and give the Bills their 2nd round pick that intyrn use to pick Toby Gerhart and use him as a support back to Fred Jackson.

Rumor #2
The Chargers have Cromartie(sp?) on the Trade block Looking to get a top end RB in return.

Like usual these are just rumors floating around but i'm hearing them all the way in Ohio and these have come from national reporters that cover the NFL.

Both of those rumors have floated over here. Cro is dead man walking in SD he will be gone somehow. Lynch, just one of many possibilities but I don't think AJ Smith would send over a 2nd for him.

wicket
02-23-2010, 03:27 PM
still need a Chargers GM for a forum mock thing:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38839

post here to join

SINCE1978
03-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Are the Super Chargers looking at a RB in rd 1? Your thoughts please.
I like Detroit to take one @ #34 (possibly Best, Matthews or Dwyer) but San Diego is one of those teams toward the back of the draft that also might be eyeing a RB, curious which one is "the guy"?

bergo23
03-07-2010, 07:40 AM
If Dan Williams or Cody are there (unlikely because of the scarcity for the position) maybe, otherwise, its likely a RB.

I wish they would spring for a RT in Ducasse.

My best guess for their top RB available would be Matthews.

DiG
03-09-2010, 09:37 AM
congrats on signing marcus mason. he was a fan favorite in DC but never really given much of a shot and didnt really fit shanahans one cut running system. i hope he gets a shot at earning some playing time with you guys.

CC.SD
03-09-2010, 05:18 PM
congrats on signing marcus mason. he was a fan favorite in DC but never really given much of a shot and didnt really fit shanahans one cut running system. i hope he gets a shot at earning some playing time with you guys.

I am pretty curious about him I have to admit. He is probably going to be RB3 but who knows. His college highlights are alright but basically all I've seen of him.

Saints-Tigers
03-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Just curious... looking at the draft, and knowing you need a RB, why wouldn't the Chargers pay their late second rounder and grab Pierre Thomas?

Not that I want them too, and the Saints would most likely match, but you could keep your first rounder and still get a terrific back, particularly for the system since he plays a lot like a poor man's Tomlinson.

He's a guy that had 100 yards receiving and rushing in the same game before!

I just see a lot of people mocking a RB to them in the first round, and I think a DL and PierreThomas would be much much better than something like Ryan Matthews and a second round DL.

Thoughts?

San Diego Chicken
03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Just curious... looking at the draft, and knowing you need a RB, why wouldn't the Chargers pay their late second rounder and grab Pierre Thomas?

Not that I want them too, and the Saints would most likely match, but you could keep your first rounder and still get a terrific back, particularly for the system since he plays a lot like a poor man's Tomlinson.

He's a guy that had 100 yards receiving and rushing in the same game before!

I just see a lot of people mocking a RB to them in the first round, and I think a DL and PierreThomas would be much much better than something like Ryan Matthews and a second round DL.

Thoughts?

I like Thomas, but I'm certain he would look much worse running behind the Chargers' OL. If they trade another 2nd for him, lock him up, and he only ends up averaging 3.5 YPC behind a bad run-blocking OL, it will not have been worth it. Whereas a rookie RB comes more cheaply.

Saints-Tigers
03-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Good point, but when the Saints line was porous, he was still running for around 4.5ish.

He's the type that will get you good production in any scheme, but will never be a superstar I think.

Look at him compared to Reggie... when we had a weak run blocking team, Reggie was right under 4 yards, and Pierre was at 4.8. When we got it fixed, Pierre was at 5.4, with a long of 34 yards, because he does all his damage in the 5-15 yard runs... Reggie with good blocking shot up to 5.6, because he was more dangerous once he was in the second level.

Pierre is an excellent receiver, though he's lacking as a blocker(not on ability or effort, he just seems lost). I just thought if I were a GM, a proven runner that is a great receiver as well would be worth it for a late second.

Even still, he's young, with extremely low mileage, and even if the line isn't fully fixed this year, he can definitely be the back of the future, or certainly part of a dominant tandem.

CC.SD
03-10-2010, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't object to signing Pierre Thomas that much, but there are a couple other things in play:

1. Money: the SD FO is notoriously unspendy/will be saving its cash to extend our numerous RFA, instead of paying Pierre franchise back caliber dough. In that same vein, rookie salaries are subjugated and cheaper in general.

2. AJ Smith just believes in his own drafting skills. I would bet dollars to dimes that the man believes he can snag a quality NT and RB in the draft and not have to deal with any other team. And if not...

3. Trades are more likely, with guys like Lynch and (in my dreams and the occasional rumor) Deangelo Williams out there and already under contract.

Shiver
06-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Any word on Vincent Jackson's suspension?

Splat
07-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Chargers sign Cam Thomas (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/09/chargers-sign-cam-thomas/)

CC.SD
07-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Chargers sign Cam Thomas (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/09/chargers-sign-cam-thomas/)

Boogie down

vidae
07-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Boogie down

Don't tell me what to do!

bantx
07-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Get Out Of Here Vidae You Dont Even Go Here!

CC.SD
08-24-2010, 04:48 PM
So Ryan Mathews has been pretty goddam sexy so far.

vidae
08-24-2010, 05:07 PM
It's too bad that the Chiefs D is going to have to put that rookie in his place!

ATLDirtyBirds
08-24-2010, 06:54 PM
Is Lee Hacksaw Hamilton reliable at all? I don't think it has any shot of happening, but he said the Falcons requested to talk to VJax. Just wanted to know if that might be just legit.

San Diego Chicken
08-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Not really too credible. I wouldn't buy into anything he says.

CC.SD
08-25-2010, 06:46 PM
It's too bad that the Chiefs D is going to have to put that rookie in his place!

His place is the Pro Bowl so I imagine they will! ooooooooooooooohhhhhh burn

Shiver
08-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I took a flier on Legedu Naanee in my fantasy league. Thoughts?

bantx
08-29-2010, 03:33 PM
he'll get his touches, rivers spreads the ball to everyone on the field. He's actually starting so solid pick up.

CC.SD
08-31-2010, 04:49 PM
I took a flier on Legedu Naanee in my fantasy league. Thoughts?

sleeper pick, no doubt that he'll produce, especially as teams wise up to Floyd. very solid as a flier.

terribletowel39
09-01-2010, 12:13 PM
VJ question. Will he sign and be playing football by start of season??

CC.SD
09-01-2010, 01:07 PM
VJ question. Will he sign and be playing football by start of season??

Nope, use a late round flier in case he gets traded, otherwise it will probably be around week 10.

terribletowel39
09-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Nope, use a late round flier in case he gets traded, otherwise it will probably be around week 10.

I thought so, just wanted to make sure. My girlfriend is doing her first fantasy football season and the guys she is playing with our trying to take advantage of her. Haha, just wanted to double check.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
09-10-2010, 08:26 PM
I wanted to check with you guys since you're closer to the Bolts than me. What are the chances that Merriman starts/plays effectively in game 1 vs the Chiefs on MNF?

bantx
09-11-2010, 01:39 AM
It's the Chiefs it should be the 1st play of scrimmage on defense :D

CC.SD
09-13-2010, 02:39 PM
I wanted to check with you guys since you're closer to the Bolts than me. What are the chances that Merriman starts/plays effectively in game 1 vs the Chiefs on MNF?

zero he is out from what i've read.

giggity giggity gametime

Gay Ork Wang
09-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Dw5mkSnqOM8

Ill just leave this here

SuperMcGee
09-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Don't be fooled by the inevitable scotty seal of approval. Ryan Neill will ruin your team.

bergo23
09-19-2010, 08:01 AM
How is Neal gonna ruin our team? Is he gonna launch snaps into the stands?

The Unseen
09-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Good game. Nice defense, and Gates is awesome obv.

D-Unit
10-16-2010, 12:06 PM
PM me if interested in being the GM of your team in our forum mock!

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43261

Matthew Jones
10-23-2010, 06:29 PM
How do Chargers fans think your team is going to play tomorrow? Are you guys confident you can pull out a win or are you worried?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-27-2010, 04:56 PM
This is a first. I actually feel sorry for Philip Rivers. Some of the mistakes the receivers made against NE. Damn.

TitanHope
10-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Don't feel bad, Chris! They play the Titans this week, who they own. :(

This is our year though! Gonna be a shoot out considering Rivers and Gates are pretty much my fantasy team, so I'm expecting 75-87, with a Titans win! Rivers has 10 TD's, and Gates has 7 TD's and also cures cancer in the process.

Gonna be awesome!

CC.SD
10-27-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm putting all the eggs in the basket this week. If they can beat the Titans there's something left of this team to salvage, and with a moderate schedule a 10-6, 9-7 season isn't out of reach which could definitely win the division. But every game I see this team quitting/being totally unprepared, and it's tough to be optimistic when that kind of stuff is happening. Titans are unpredictable too, so I'm intrigued by this matchup.

Rivers definitely deserves better pieces around him. Hold onto the ball you ******* scrubs!

TitanHope
10-31-2010, 07:47 PM
Boo Chargers beating the Titans! BOOOO!!!

(GG guys. ;) )

BuffaloBillsFan
11-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Merriman in Buffalo, yeah baby.

CC.SD
11-08-2010, 07:53 PM
at this moment in time, we are 4-5 going into the bye week. the chiefs are 5-3 and the Raiders are 5-4.

Despite every possible **** up conceivable on the Charger's end...

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z319/x0gingerr0x17/mrbean.jpg

It's a race!

bantx
11-08-2010, 08:46 PM
It's a ************* race!

RaiderNation
11-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Other than a pass rusher, what would your guys next need be? WR if/when Jackson is gone? OL?

CC.SD
11-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Other than a pass rusher, what would your guys next need be? WR if/when Jackson is gone? OL?

RT and SS are also big needs, maybe even ILB if Butler doesn't make it all the way back.

bergo23
11-09-2010, 03:04 PM
I agree on the SS need, I also think AJ could pull the trigger on the Jammer transition to SS...assuming he and Weddle would work well together, that could be a monster duo (but both have stone hands!). This would create a need at corner.

I would love it if Gabe Carimi falls far enough in the first for us to take him and plug him into RT for 10 years! Even Marcus Cannon sounds like a good candidate for RT.

CC.SD
11-11-2010, 11:45 AM
I agree on the SS need, I also think AJ could pull the trigger on the Jammer transition to SS...assuming he and Weddle would work well together, that could be a monster duo (but both have stone hands!). This would create a need at corner.

I would love it if Gabe Carimi falls far enough in the first for us to take him and plug him into RT for 10 years! Even Marcus Cannon sounds like a good candidate for RT.

The idea of a brawler rt is very appealling to me. Anything to get the running game going, and we just don't lose games when Rivers has time to operate. I am not a clary fan.

CC.SD
11-23-2010, 12:54 PM
awwwwwww yeah 5-5 and one game behind the Chiefs. Bring it Indy!

J-Mike88
11-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Thought you guys might enjoy this.
I loved Rivers at NC State.
Guy has always been a pure WINNER.
He's clutch as hell.

CrgF2Ku-siw

CC.SD
11-28-2010, 05:14 PM
hehe, i remember these videos from the summer of 2005 cropping up. They are magnificent but I would wager to say have been surpassed by his nfl highlights by now.

vidae
12-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Good game. Good luck the rest of the way.

J-Mike88
12-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Good game. Good luck the rest of the way.
There's nobody here... not since November.
San Diego is so nice, they don't have time to spend indoors on the internet.

TheMorningZoo
12-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Well, our season is lost-but we might as well go out on a high note and stick it to Denver. I was not a fan of the Norv choice when Schotty was canned (who I was a big fan of), and Norv's track record speaks for itself. Great Offensive Guru/Mastermind, but poor motivator and gameday coach.

I think he WILL get a pass and will be on the sidelines in '11, but I HOPE he doesn't. Our window of opportunity is closing, and we are far from the team we were when he took over. Gone is the run first, run second, pass third team that was stacked with L.T. in his prime, Lo' Neal, a rock solid mauling O-line, JWall, Merriman, etc. Now we have our pass first approach and a more finesse game as a whole. Norv has done wonders for Rivers, and he is like Manning and Brees in that he can get it done with no name players.

Here's to firing Norv, promoting Rivera, getting a new OC (Kubiak maybe?), and Singletary would be a nice addition to the coaching staff (LB's). I have seen a lot of love for Marvin Lewis as well as a DC, I need to do more research but we shall see what happens.

bantx
12-28-2010, 01:32 AM
The only good thing that could come out of this is that Norv is kept at OC and we bring in a new HC that can lead us.

1funguy
12-28-2010, 06:49 AM
No changes happening fast.

We need game-changers & maulers on defense. Beef. AJ appears to have a vegetarian diet.

I'll hold out hope for a better draft this year, but it will require a mindset change in our FO. Time to back down from the "we'll outscore everybody" mentality & build a nasty D.

I'd like to see an agreement reached to keep VJ. Learn how to handle him, AJ/Norv. We have a lot of time invested in the guy & he produces on the field. Figure out a way to curtail his misadventures. Not every talented player is going to be a choir boy, so wake up & learn to deal with those dynamics or keep telling yourself that mediocrity is acceptable.

I personally hope that we draft defense AT LEAST through our 1st pick of the 3rd. Seriously doubt that the 3rd for Cro (unless via playing time) turns into a 2nd, definitely not the one for Whitey. Even if they did, I'd go with the same idea re: defense outside of a possible mauler ROT.

The only way I possibly see a change at HC or GM would be a change in ownership which will also mean an address change.

bergo23
12-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Picking middle of each of the first 3 rounds, plus the extra 2 and 3...this class seems to be semi deep at positions we need...so I have confidence we will find what we need in the draft to make a run at a Lombardi next year health permitting. Hopefully AJ adds another vet or two in Free Agency to fill the losses that are sure to come (WR, Linebacker, etc).

Its disappointing to lose another opportunity in the tournament, but this team will have plenty of opportunities (minus ST follies and injuries) in the next 3-5 years to get it done on the Lombardi front.

1funguy
12-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Picking middle of each of the first 3 rounds, plus the extra 2 and 3...this class seems to be semi deep at positions we need...so I have confidence we will find what we need in the draft to make a run at a Lombardi next year health permitting. Hopefully AJ adds another vet or two in Free Agency to fill the losses that are sure to come (WR, Linebacker, etc).

Its disappointing to lose another opportunity in the tournament, but this team will have plenty of opportunities (minus ST follies and injuries) in the next 3-5 years to get it done on the Lombardi front.

What extra 2? I haven't seen anything yet that says the Cro pick nor the Whitehurst pick has turned into a 2nd. Have no idea what the conditions were to raise either, but offhand I'd say that Cro's is the only one with any chance to become a 2nd & that would have to be based on snaps. He surely didn't do anything spectacular re: INT's, tackles, points, etc.

bergo23
12-31-2010, 03:02 PM
I am assuming the Cro pick is the extra two, based on the # of snaps he played. I have seen this in several mocks on the web.

1funguy
01-02-2011, 09:09 AM
I am assuming the Cro pick is the extra two, based on the # of snaps he played. I have seen this in several mocks on the web.

I've seen it there as well but have no info regarding escalators. Until it's in stone, I'm going to continue playing with 3 3rd's.

bergo23
01-04-2011, 09:39 PM
I saw on ESPN today that if the Jets win and get into the divisional round, its a 2...so I will be a big Jets fan this weekend.

1funguy
01-05-2011, 11:13 AM
I saw on ESPN today that if the Jets win and get into the divisional round, its a 2...so I will be a big Jets fan this weekend.

As distasteful as this is ..... GO JETS!!! :-D

bolts2388
01-08-2011, 11:30 PM
http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

Jets win and Chargers win. Chargers now get Jets 2nd-round pick in Antonio Cromartie trade.

bergo23
01-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Now that we have 5 picks in the first 100, I am hoping we get mostly D, with a potential RT to replace Clary (although I do hope we resign him).

I am pumped we got the extra 2 for Cromartie, he is talented but a headcase, and we need a physical corner to help in the run game, especially in our division.

C'mon AJ do another 2004 draft for us, and we'll be back in business.

bantx
01-14-2011, 02:31 AM
Safety
Corner
Gaurd
DE
WR

Pretty excited about this year's draft

1funguy
01-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Now that we have 5 picks in the first 100, I am hoping we get mostly D, with a potential RT to replace Clary (although I do hope we resign him).

I am pumped we got the extra 2 for Cromartie, he is talented but a headcase, and we need a physical corner to help in the run game, especially in our division.

C'mon AJ do another 2004 draft for us, and we'll be back in business.

Same here. Although I must say - as distasteful as it is to me to envision AJ drafting DB's, we need to start considering a CB who can learn behind Jammer as his eventual replacement.

bergo23
01-14-2011, 09:11 PM
I think AJ may roll the dice on a proven vet CB in Asomugha or even Champ Bailey. Either that or draft a rook and he plays nickel his rookie year then moves to the outside when Jam is ready to become a Pro Bowl Safety!

diabsoule
01-15-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm working on my first mock draft of the season and have Jimmy Smith mocked to the Chargers. What do you guys think of that? Originally I had Cam Jordan but changed the pick after reading this thread.

1funguy
01-17-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm working on my first mock draft of the season and have Jimmy Smith mocked to the Chargers. What do you guys think of that? Originally I had Cam Jordan but changed the pick after reading this thread.

Are you talking about Aldon Smith outta Mizzou?

diabsoule
01-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Are you talking about Aldon Smith outta Mizzou?

No, I'm talking about Jimmy Smith, the corner out of Colorado.

I have changed the pick, however, to Von Miller.

1funguy
01-18-2011, 07:01 AM
No, I'm talking about Jimmy Smith, the corner out of Colorado.

I have changed the pick, however, to Von Miller.

I surely wouldn't have our FO take a DB at 18 unless it was Amakamura or Petersen.

Not at all sold on Von Miller either. I'd likely go with the DE from Cal (Jordan? I get all of these Cameron's mixed up) or Ayers.

bergo23
01-19-2011, 10:49 PM
I would also take Cam Heyward at #18, cuz he is the type of run stopping 5 tech we have needed since Olshansky left.

evenar
01-26-2011, 06:28 AM
I would be a big fan of getting Cam Jordan, even though we'd might have to give up a second rounder to move up in the first and grab him. Plugging him in at left DE would instantly improve both our run D and pass rush.

As for the later rounds, I think Leonard Hankerson looks really good, he would make perfect sense in the 2nd round if we lose VJax or Floyd, and there seems to be some mid-round value for pass-rushers. A guy like Jeremy Beal seems to be dropping on draft boards, and I would also applaud it if they were to draft a corner in the 3rd to plug him in at nickel (and maybe be a long-term potential starter when Jammer is done).

San Diego Chicken
01-26-2011, 07:39 AM
I'm fine with any of the DL's currently graded in the first round except Bailey and Watt. Bailey's already on the roster, except his name is Vaughn Martin. And Watt just isn't that good in my eyes. It seems like everybody WAS mocking Jordan to the Chargers but if the senior bowl reports are accurate I think that ship has sailed, assuming they stay at #18. A.J. has the ammo to move up, however.

Someone to keep an eye on could be Ayers, because he's scheme diverse - right off the bat he could play the "joker" position that Applewhite usually mans. Long term if English fails, he could kick over to OLB, or if 2 or more of the LB's leave via FA, he could potentially slide inside. A player like that could be a really nice toy for Manusky to play with.

Basically I want a defensive player with star potential. Right now it's a very good group of role players with two borderline pro-bowlers (Garay & Phillips). I want one bona-fide star that will keep offensive coordinators up at night.

CC.SD
01-26-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm in the same boat chicken, except different position. I would LOVE to see a dominant ILB come our way. Maybe it's Butler who is already on the roster.

A SS would be terrific too, no more of this 'Steve Gregory, starter' BS.

But the bottom line is we don't know who will come our way or leave in free agency yet...we could have serious holes at FS and RT, along with obviously WR that would dictate how our picks will go.

So for now, dream big, dream Julio Jones.

evenar
02-01-2011, 09:25 AM
I'll post my wishlist:
Obviously, I'd like the team to resign V Jax, Kevin Burnett, Erik Weddle and Floyd (he can be tendered?). Then I'd like us to get a safety to pair with Weddle in free agency, Danieal Manning, Michael Huff, Quintin Michell, Dawan Landry, Roman Harper and Sensabaugh would all be upgrades over Gregory/Oliver, and all are free agents. I would also like depht at ILB, but I would trust Donald Butler as a starter. If he fails, the 2012 ILB class looks really good...

Then I'd like us to go something like this:
1st: The best available at 5-tech or rush backer, lets just say Cameron Heyward.
2nd: Leonard Hankerson
2nd: We took Cam Heyward, lets say we add a guy like Dontay Moch (his stock will probably rise after his combine and pro day).
3rd: Marcus Gilbert maybe? Someone to challenge Clary atleast, if he is at all resigned.
3rd: Shareece Wright, he is a player who could come in right away and start at the nickel back position. Some character issues, supposedly, but was also a team captain.
6th: Depht at ILB...
This would give us 1 (2) rookie starter (Heyward and maybe Gilbert), depht at WR, CB and OLB, with a new free agent safety.

CC.SD
03-07-2011, 07:26 PM
It will be Julio Jones.

villagewarrior
04-29-2011, 03:19 AM
So I'm not that big a fan of Liuget, I don't like him as a 34 end, but he looks to have a very thick trunk and lower body, I wonder if the Bolts are going to try to bulk him up to play the nose.

San Diego Chicken
04-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Ok with this draft so far, and I can see the philosophy. I know everyone wanted Jordan but in our scheme, we prefer 300 pounders with more bone girth at DE, and Liuget had top 20 value. He doesn't have the star potential that I would have wanted ideally, but those options, namely Quinn, were off the board.

The Gilchrist and Wright picks I really like. They're both tough DB's that can tackle, play nickel, and play on coverage units, plus Gilchrist has return ability.

Brown is a personal favorite who I love.

The Mouton pick is a head scratcher and I'm going to guess Norv's spin on it won't make me feel too much better. Special teams I guess? Developmental pass rusher?

San Diego Chicken
04-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Just watched Norv's interview. He talks about him mostly as a nickel MIKE linebacker and special teams player. Ehh, okay. Not sure that's worth a 2nd but whatever.

1funguy
04-30-2011, 10:32 AM
I won't pan the choices. I do think that AJ has once again over-reached on the 2nd day. Over-reaction to last year's poor ST play.

bantx
08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
hi gaiz

asdadda

CC.SD
08-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Hai bant

Anyway in the shadow of the bigger free agency players, I think it is pretty obvious the Chargers are having a great off season and are in good position here at the start of August.

Returning the #1 Offense and #1 Defense is legit as **** and begs the question: how are special teams looking? Not bad, with a new coach and basically an entire draft dedicated to gunners, and the re-signing of Kelley Washington. Last year the Chargers gave up 5 blocked punts and a sickening amount of huge kick returns.

Miraculously Nate Kaeding remains on the roster

Some interesting and relevant signings including Takeo Spikes, Bob Sanders, and almost all of our players. Jackson missed ten games last year as Rivers led a cast of nobodies to a dominant passing game. Gates is back too, along with Weddle and most of our depth. Looking good, ultimately the team has to be good enough to win games in the postseason and for the bolts that just means putting talent around Rivers, and right now that is what they have done.

bantx
08-03-2011, 10:52 PM
I loved the Takeo Spikes pick up if he can mentor and train our youngins to have a neck almost as scarey as his I think our ILB is going to be great. Also like the LaBoy pick up much needed depth. Bob Sanders signing is a kind of signing if he does well Aj will look like a genius if not no one will care which is what I love about the pick up. Excited to see Butler get on the field this season.

CC.SD
08-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I loved the Takeo Spikes pick up if he can mentor and train our youngins to have a neck almost as scarey as his I think our ILB is going to be great. Also like the LaBoy pick up much needed depth. Bob Sanders signing is a kind of signing if he does well Aj will look like a genius if not no one will care which is what I love about the pick up. Excited to see Butler get on the field this season.

Butler and Mouton getting mentored by Spikes would be terrific. They both have the ability to be really good linebackers in this D and Spikes obviously speaks for himself, coming off really a career year.

bantx
08-26-2011, 10:28 AM
hi

Does Gamble make the cut? He kind of went under the radar after the first game. I think he makes it from that first game alone I mean he's shown strides and with English out for who knows long he might have a chance.

CC.SD
09-08-2011, 05:01 PM
hi

Does Gamble make the cut? He kind of went under the radar after the first game. I think he makes it from that first game alone I mean he's shown strides and with English out for who knows long he might have a chance.

This just reminds me I'm happy Gamble made the squad. Nothing against English, but in one preseason Gamble showed more than English ever has. Hope they both succeed.

San Diego Chicken
09-09-2011, 06:34 PM
This just reminds me I'm happy Gamble made the squad. Nothing against English, but in one preseason Gamble showed more than English ever has. Hope they both succeed.

I think Barnes should start. He's just so exlosive, I'd want to give him as many snaps as possible. I think he could easily get 10-15 sacks this season if he does.

bantx
09-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Now with Castillo out sign another player for depth to keep our rotation going. There was not a big drop off when he left. This is a good opportunity for Martin and Luiget to get their reps or to step it up and take over. I'm hoping Luiget can make an impact this season I loved what I've seen from the pre season.

vidae
09-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Good game guys. Good luck the rest of the way.

CC.SD
09-26-2011, 04:09 PM
Good game guys. Good luck the rest of the way.

Same Vidazzle. If Cassel keeps throwing to Bowe like that he is going to keep Luck off the squad...

bantx
09-28-2011, 01:01 PM
hi

asdasdasdasdas

CC.SD
09-28-2011, 08:08 PM
hi

asdasdasdasdas

Bob Sanders experiment now to be replaced with Tommie Harris experiment. The only upside here is that I can go back to daydreaming about finally taking a first round caliber safety.

bantx
09-28-2011, 08:11 PM
yes bob sanders played a solid 2 games lol

now stucky needs a chance and get moved over esintead of sitting behind weddle

San Diego Chicken
10-03-2011, 05:08 AM
So far you have to say we've looked kinda "ehhh" through 4 games. But with that said, the team is 3-1 and for now has averted the early season jinx.

What I love is that the young guys are playing very well and exceeding expectations. Mathews, Liuget, Gilchrist, Martin and Butler have all stood out to me. Even English stepped up today and recorded two sacks. On the other hand, the veterans, save for probably Jackson and Weddle, are kinda underachieving right now but hopefully they hit their usual mid to late season stride.

bantx
10-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Yes the slow starts are behind us and lovig the way Gilchrist and Butler have been playing our DB depth is looking a lot better than before.

CC.SD
10-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Yes the slow starts are behind us and lovig the way Gilchrist and Butler have been playing our DB depth is looking a lot better than before.

Martin too, and if English actually shows up this year that is a ton of new blood performing well.

bantx
10-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I still don't trust gregory at safety :l

CC.SD
10-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I still don't trust gregory at safety :l

choo choo its the TJ McDonald bandwagon, all aboooard right he's a late first rounder in my eyes, aka perfect placement.

J-Mike88
11-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Wow, 4 weeks since a post in here?
CC.SD, you must be a lonely man in here.

Where is Lionel James, Marion Butts, and Rod Bernstine when you need them?
Even Gary Anderson, not the kicker but the RB!

CC.SD
11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Wow, 4 weeks since a post in here?
CC.SD, you must be a lonely man in here.

Where is Lionel James, Marion Butts, and Rod Bernstine when you need them?
Even Gary Anderson, not the kicker but the RB!

We actually have a pretty good corps of Charger posters in here but yah it could be more lively. Oh well if i wanted to just talk about the chargers i'd call my brothers.

evenar
11-12-2011, 05:42 AM
I can post some thoughts: Get rid of Norv already! He did a great job grooming Philip, but sometimes a team and especially a QB needs some change to take the last step and win a Super Bowl. I'm also tired of all the penalties and the costly mistakes.

As for the team itself we still have a talented offense. I don't believe that Rivers is a bad QB just like that, and Mathews and Tolbert are both really good. Our WRs are a problem, but VJax is still good and Brown should be able to step up as a WR2 next year. We should, however, inject some talent in this group next year, as Floyd and Crayton could be upgraded. The big focus of this offense is still the offensive line, as Rivers is absolutely depending on having time to throw. An early pick should be spent on a tackle, especially with the injury concerns of McNeill.

As for the defense, I like whats going on on the d-line. I think Corey Liuget and Vaughn Martin will be really good next year, with Castillo also coming back from the injury. Garay and Thomas should be a good duo at the nose.
I can see Butler stepping up next year, and Spikes should have one more year in him as well. Shaun Phillips will be back, and Antwan Barnes is a really good option on passing downs. However, there is absolutely no doubt that we need a difference making pass rusher, and the front office absolutely need to make sure that we get this next April. That should help Cason and Gilchrist, whom I actually think should be all right next year. Weddle is really good, and I also like Oliver as a depth player. Jammer could be moved to safety as well, but we need some more talent in our secondary, thats for sure.

Anyway, our priorities next year must be, in this order:

1. Pass Rusher
2. Pass protector
3. Wide receiver
4. Secondary help

Secondary help could be found with sleeper adds in free agency, while rookie wide receiver playmakers are available in the third every year: Jacoby Ford was a fourth rounder and Vincent Brown from this year was a third rounder.

bantx
11-15-2011, 10:24 AM
I want to clean house, but in reality that will never happen.

OL/OLB/Safety/CB/TE/WR in this order for me

CC.SD
11-22-2011, 12:33 PM
I want to clean house, but in reality that will never happen.

OL/OLB/Safety/CB/TE/WR in this order for me

OLB/OL/OLB/OL for me.

I guess a safety is we can find a decent one. TJ McDonald would be fun if he declares but, unlikely.

bantx
12-12-2011, 01:39 PM
hi guys hows it going

San Diego Chicken
12-25-2011, 04:28 AM
hi guys hows it going

BAD! Stick a fork in us, we're done. And so is Norv. I think it'll be Jeff Fisher or Pete Carmichael Jr. as our next boss. 50/50 that A.J. Smith gets canned.

Crappy season. Hopefully we show pride and spoil the Raiders season too. I hate those mother*********. I can't deal with an offseason of Raider fans bragging about their 4 game winning streak against us.

RaiderNation
12-28-2011, 02:04 PM
You guys should sit Rivers and Jackson for the game so they don't have any injuries heading into the off season :)

But really though I have the feeling this will be a close game, similar to the Thursday night game. It looks like we will be getting Ford and Huff back for sure, and there is still an outside chance that DMC will be ready.

J-Mike88
10-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Nobody here?

Punisher
10-16-2012, 11:15 AM
OLB/OL/OLB/OL for me.

I guess a safety is we can find a decent one. TJ McDonald would be fun if he declares but, unlikely.

TJ is a senior

bantx
10-16-2012, 11:27 AM
that post was from about a year ago.

As of right now I want in this order

OLB/OL/CB

descendency
12-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Is Rivers playing good enough to prevent a new coach from wanting his guy or is he also part of the problem?

Just curious, because I like Rivers but I don't want SD play.

Diehard
12-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Is Rivers playing good enough to prevent a new coach from wanting his guy or is he also part of the problem?

Watching him play against my Broncos, I'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt. It's obvious he has no confidence in his OL (no one else does, either) and their FA moves didn't yield great results. The inability of the team to retain some of his favorite targets such as VJax and Sproles probably doesn't sit well either.

The priority has to be on patching the OL. After that, well, it's not like what works for him is some big mystery - have a few big receivers who can go up and get the ball, along with a pass-catching threat out of the backfield.

San Diego Chicken
12-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Bruce Arians is the popular name out there right now. We'll see. I prefer a defensive head coach, just my preference. I want Zimmer or Ryan if he gets fired. I feel like this roster is perfect for Ryan. I've just always had a lot of respect for Zimmer too. Don't want Reid, don't really want Gruden either. I'd be ok with Arians or Kelly. Shaw extended with Stanford so he's out. Don't want McCoy, not enough experience. Holmgren... I like him as a coach but don't want him calling the shots. Those are just some of the names I've formed an opinion on.

Bert Macklin
02-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Good luck with johnny Patrick

Wootylicous
03-14-2013, 08:06 PM
http://www.playoffrace.com/Images/NFL/Chargers.gif

QB Philip Rivers - Charlie Whitehurst
FB Le'Ron McClain
RB Ryan Matthews - Jawan Jamison - Edwin Baker
WR1 Malcolm Floyd - Ryan Swope - Vincent Brown
WR2 Danario Alexander - Eddie Royal - Robert Meachem
TE Antonio Gates - Joseph Fauria - Ladarius Green
LT Lane Johnson - Mike Harris
LG Kevin Boothe - Johnnie Troutman
C Nick Hardwick - David Molk
RG Brandon Moore - Steve Schilling
RT Bryan Bulaga - Kevin Haslam

RDE Corey Liuget - Logan Harrell
DT Cam Thomas
LDE Kendall Reyes - Damik Scafe
OLB Melvin Ingram - Larry English
ILB Dan Connor - Michael Mauti - Jonas Mouton
ILB Donald Butler - Andrew Gachkar - Philipp Dillard
OLB Shaun Phillips - Jarret Johnson
RCB Marcus Gilchrist - Greg Catson
LCB Jordan Poyer - Shareece Wright
SS Rashad Johnson - Atari Bigby - Brandon Taylor
FS Eric Weddle - Darrell Stuckey

K Nick Novak
P Mike Scifres

Picks
1.11 - Lane Johnson, OT
2.45 - Jordan Poyer, CB
3.76 - Traded for Bryan Bulaga
4.110 - Ryan Swope, WR
5.137 - Jawan Jamison, RB
6.174 - Michael Mauti, LB
6.180 - Joseph Fauria, TE

Soooo I know they aren't a lot of Chargers fans over here but this is what I did in the Forum Mock.

San Diego Chicken
03-15-2013, 03:52 AM
Soooo I know they aren't a lot of Chargers fans over here but this is what I did in the Forum Mock.

A third for Bulaga isn't a good move. Other than that it's passable. Use the third on a more explosive RB than Jamison.

descendency
03-22-2013, 09:52 PM
I just thought you guys might appreciate the twitter page of your newest OL.

https://twitter.com/ohrnberger

CC.SD
09-19-2013, 02:07 PM
We've seen a lot of good stuff from Rivers so far this season. Just going by the eyeball test I chalk a lot of it up to protection. Whether it's crappy rushing up front from the Texans/Eagles or a surprisingly sturdy makeshift O-line (2004 redux), Rivers is getting time to scan the field in the pocket for the first time in quite a long while. If it keeps up I could see him carrying us to a decent season. Maybe not enough to overcome the secondary's severe issues but enough to be a factor in the AFC.

bantx
09-19-2013, 02:27 PM
He definitely looks more comfortable out there and it could be that he's able to make more changes and calls out there running the offense on what he sees. I had this season chalked up to be a bad one prior to the season starting, but seeing Rivers play this well is giving me a hope boner.

CC.SD
12-26-2013, 08:46 PM
dang Bant we are pretty smart guys! Here we are on the eve of a playoff berth potentially in year 1 of our epic rebuild. Good enough for me to raise a glass to Telesco and McCoy.

bantx
12-29-2013, 03:04 AM
We are some god damned geniuses, lets go Chargers today! Boo Miami and Ravens.

Jimmy
12-29-2013, 06:29 PM
I'm rooting for you guys. Sick of the AFC West being thought of as a push over division.

bantx
12-29-2013, 06:49 PM
We Did It Yalll!!!

CC.SD
12-29-2013, 06:54 PM
hell yaaaaaaaaaaaa light em up, playoffs baby.

Jomoz
01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Congratulations on winning Super Bowl XLVIII, guys.

CC.SD
01-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Congratulations on winning Super Bowl XLVIII, guys.

thanks dude it is a shock to say that at this point in time we are still alive for the super bowl which is really all any team can ask for. Absolutely terrific to get a playoff win in year 1 of Telesco/McCoy and the team is looking sharp.

villagewarrior
02-03-2014, 05:47 AM
What are you guys thinking for the Chargers come draft season? Still defensive backfield help? Offensive line? What?

CC.SD
02-11-2014, 02:54 PM
What are you guys thinking for the Chargers come draft season? Still defensive backfield help? Offensive line? What?

CB, DT, OL, Pass rusher in that order probably.